PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Intro to D-Magic!

zurekgirl
09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
My DH and I are planning a trip in January of 08. We want to tell our 3 1/2 year old DS at Christmas. :santa: We figure from that point it will be a month till we go and should cut down on some of the "Are we going today?" questions. Here's where I need your help....

1. Any great ideas on ways to tell him? We are planning on having Mickey write a letter inviting DS to come visit his home, include "keys" and a map..

2. Ways to count down the days?

3. Prep? We've been watching Disney Movies :happytv: but are there any that show WDW? Does anyone know about CDs that have park ride music? We thought if he saw the music it might make things more fun (and less scarey).

DH and I are so excited. We have code words so we can talk about it when DS's awake. It will be DS and I first ever trip to the world!! We can't wait to share the good news with him.

Thanks for the help!!:cutie:

3littleHalls
09-03-2007, 01:22 PM
How cool! I like your Mickey letter idea. We usually do a paper chain counting down till WDW. That way they have something to visualize the length. The Travel Channel has great shows about WDW. We have always used them as a prep for the kids to see what rides, attractions and such. I am not sure of when they will be on next though. :confused3 Have a great trip!

MNdisneymom
09-03-2007, 10:47 PM
...The Kids Birnbaums guide. I know he couldn't read any of it, but he could look at all the pictures, and I would read him whatever bits he wanted. (He could find the Barnstormer without my help, :) )

We have a few (okay several;) park CDs), almost all of which were purchased at WDW. (You can call down there and order them WDW Merchandise mail order if you want.) My son's favorite is the music from Illuminations, followed closely by the Haunted Mansion and POTC. I like the Animal Kingdom background music (not sure of title).

For videos in the parks..most of them are pretty old. (These are all Sing a Long Songs videos, BTW). There is one called "disneyland fun" that is in DL but does a great job of showing lots of costumed characters. For one set in WDW, Beach Party Fun. It shows a little bit of Blizzard Beach...maybe some of Peter pan? (Memory is a little fuzzy on that one.)

Another tip...make sure you know the height limits, and explain them to your little guy before you go. Mine knew before our trip last September that he wouldn't be able to do Splash or Big Thunder...but was thrilled to go on Kali River Rapids and the Barnstormer. His current goal is to be big enough to ride Expedition Everest...He just hit 40 inches though, so he's got a ways to go. (Being a short daredevil is just hard.)

Enjoy the anticipation--that's so much fun. (I didn't tell my DS until the morning we left for the airport, "Wake up honey...we're going to Disney World!")

zurekgirl
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
...The Kids Birnbaums guide. I know he couldn't read any of it, but he could look at all the pictures, and I would read him whatever bits he wanted. (He could find the Barnstormer without my help, :) )

We have a few (okay several;) park CDs), almost all of which were purchased at WDW. (You can call down there and order them WDW Merchandise mail order if you want.) My son's favorite is the music from Illuminations, followed closely by the Haunted Mansion and POTC. I like the Animal Kingdom background music (not sure of title).

For videos in the parks..most of them are pretty old. (These are all Sing a Long Songs videos, BTW). There is one called "disneyland fun" that is in DL but does a great job of showing lots of costumed characters. For one set in WDW, Beach Party Fun. It shows a little bit of Blizzard Beach...maybe some of Peter pan? (Memory is a little fuzzy on that one.)

Another tip...make sure you know the height limits, and explain them to your little guy before you go. Mine knew before our trip last September that he wouldn't be able to do Splash or Big Thunder...but was thrilled to go on Kali River Rapids and the Barnstormer. His current goal is to be big enough to ride Expedition Everest...He just hit 40 inches though, so he's got a ways to go. (Being a short daredevil is just hard.)

Enjoy the anticipation--that's so much fun. (I didn't tell my DS until the morning we left for the airport, "Wake up honey...we're going to Disney World!")

Thank you for the information! I'm off to call WDW for the CD and to the bookstore for the Kids Birnbaums guide. We're ordering the Maps from the Disney Website and we'll discuss switching off and height limits. Great Tips!! Keep 'em coming.

LadyShea
09-04-2007, 12:04 PM
You can order a free trip planning DVD at the WDW websites and they show "tours" of the parks...might at least give an idea of what they will be seeing and doing. And if not...hey it's free ;)