PDA

View Full Version : Excursions - bag/purse carry off ship?

Rachel1
09-03-2007, 12:21 AM
We are first time cruisers going out on the Wonder on October 4th, 2007!:cool1:

We've made ressies for some of the excursions - Glass bottom boat at Nassau, Parasailing, bikes & tubes at Castaway Cay.

My question is - what type of bag do you carry off the ship with you? Is it waterproof? While we are parasailing or tubing at Castaway Cay - are there lockers to put our passports & cameras in or what do I do with these things when we are in the water?:confused3

Thank you!!

scrapperjill
09-03-2007, 03:38 AM
For me it depends on what we'll be doing at port that day. If it's a day of shopping and looking around I'll take my overland donner bag that slings over my sholder....I can fit my camera, $$ and id inside...and keep it ON me at all times. If we're doing a water day...I'll take my camera in it's waterproof housing along with a waterproof box on a lanyard to carry my $$ and id.

Personally we don't take our passports ashore. I've actually read a few places where it's recomended not to. We take our on the ship then lock them up in the safe where they stay safe and sound until we get back to Port Canaveral. To get off/on the ship all you need is a photo id (like a drivers license) and your KTTW card. If you think about it...anyone whos not a US citizen has their passport taken at checkin and they don't get it back until they depart the ship once back in Port Canaveral.. I do know A LOT of people would NEVER condider leaving the ship without it...:goodvibes

At CC...you REALLY don't need it.

The 'dry box' (waterproof box on a lanyard) can be purchased on the ship:thumbsup2 for under $10.

If we do happen to go to the beach and have things with us (purse, bag, camera...etc)...we make sure someone stays with it at all times. Now....at CC we have tucked them under things and left things on our lounge chairs for periods of time..not that it's totally safe to leave your things unattended at CC..but I do feel a 'little' better/safer leaving it there compaired to ANY of the other ports.

My advice would be to plan ahead...have an idea of where you'll be and what you'll be doing at port...and pack for what your doing. ;)

CraftyMouse
09-03-2007, 08:55 AM
We also never take our passports ashore with us. I will make a color copy of the main passport page and keep that in my bag. Our passports will be locked up in our stateroom for the duration of the cruise.

As for other valuables, I usually just take them in a day-bag (usually canvas, not water-proof). When we went parasailing we took turns so there was always someone on the boat with the bag. At Castaway Cay I only have the camera and our KTTW cards so not much to worry about there either. We have never gone to a beach in port but if we were to do that I would try to bring as little as possible. I would use a dry-box for my credit card/ID/money and bring disposable water-proof cameras for pictures at the beach.

LuvtheEars
09-03-2007, 01:57 PM
We are first time cruisers going out on the Wonder on October 4th, 2007!:cool1:

We've made ressies for some of the excursions - Glass bottom boat at Nassau, Parasailing, bikes & tubes at Castaway Cay.

My question is - what type of bag do you carry off the ship with you? Is it waterproof? While we are parasailing or tubing at Castaway Cay - are there lockers to put our passports & cameras in or what do I do with these things when we are in the water?:confused3

Thank you!!

Finally someone else on the Oct. 4th Wonder!!:thumbsup2 I was wondering this same question, but had not posted anything yet. Thank you everyone for the info about not taking your passports with you, and letting me know what we will need to get back on the ship. We are just doing a walking tour of Nassau, but we are doing a water excursion at CC. I'll have to look for the waterproof box when we get on the ship.

Heather98012
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
You can also get the waterproof boxes at scuba stores, boating stores, REI, etc. Probably cheaper than on the ship, too. I have no idea what the dimensions are for the KTTW card; is it just like a credit card in size? You'll want to make sure whatever box you get is big enough to accomodate that.

LuvtheEars
09-03-2007, 02:21 PM
You can also get the waterproof boxes at scuba stores, boating stores, REI, etc. Probably cheaper than on the ship, too. I have no idea what the dimensions are for the KTTW card; is it just like a credit card in size? You'll want to make sure whatever box you get is big enough to accomodate that.

Great idea! Off to REI I go. At least sometime within the next 4 weeks. :rotfl:

owensamo
09-03-2007, 07:41 PM

We actually found them in 2 sizes at the Walgreen's in Cocoa Beach. There was the smaller credit card-sized box for about $4.00, and they had a slightly larger version that was about $5.00. They were plain (no printing on them) and hanging on the racks in a couple of different locations.

The larger one wasn't large enough to fit a passport (I don't think) but it was larger than a standard credit card-sized one. We purchased the smaller one for my husband. I have one from BCV (which seems to leak a bit - my money always ends up wet) and my daughter ended up with a free round one from one of the beach shops in Cocoa Beach when we purchased a beach towel.

Ron Jon's had them too in a couple of shapes/sizes.

Amanda

Anal Annie
09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
We also keep the passports locked up in the safe. But I guess we're pretty trusting with our stuff. We don't leave anything of significant value unattended tho.

We have a couple of those water proof boxes (picked them up at a water park), but they do leak if they get completely submerged - but not enough to destroy paper money or credit cards or your KTTW cards. They might get damp but they'll dry. We take minimal cash, ID's & one credit card on our excursions. I usually just bury it deep inside of something inside the beach bag or whatever we're carrying. For a tour type excursion we usually take either a fanny pack or a backpack, depending on what we're doing & what we want to bring. The backpack will hold my DSLR while the fanny pack holds our little pocket sized camera. So that decision usually depends on which camera I want to use. I never carry a regular pocketbook on vacation 'cuz I like to be comfortable & have my hands free!

dahuffy
09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I wear a belly bag, hate carrying a purse on excursions. Besides,this way both hands are free for shopping!! And sorry,no lockers on Castaway Cay.