PDA

View Full Version : Considereing a Cruise

Renysmom
09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
DH and I are thinking very hard about making our 4th trip to WDW a land and sea trip, meaning our first cruise and it will be Disney YEAAAAA.

He had a few questions that I wasn't able to find answers to yet so I thought I would just ask.

First, we are going this December for 7 days land only :) Would it be cheaper to get annual passes and then next year just pay for a 4 day cruise and do our WDW hotel on our own?

I see lots of people talking about all the things they are bringing, is there a luggage limit?

We will have our own car, are the lots at the port secure?

We have wireless satelite intervet via Sprint. Thus we never have to use a hotels wireless or dial-up service, since Sprint cellphones apparently work on the ships, does anyone know if this service will work?

Would you go in September or October is you had the choice? We will be buying insurance

Whats better Category 5 or Category 6 or Category 7.. Why

I will be back with lots more questions I am sure.

Thanks in advance

Cruella 66
09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I can answer only a couple parts. We just did 8 days at WDW and a three day cruise...we added four days to the 4/3 land/sea. I was majorly disappointed we could not added Disney dining but I've heard that is changing. We had 7 day park hopper tickets included in our land/sea package...that's why we added four days. We also drove and it was a good drive but beware...don't drink a big cup of coffee and a bottle of water and get on the Beachline toll...there's no restroom facilities until you reach Port Canaveral. Anyway, it's about an hour drive from WDW to Port Canaveral and the parking is VERY secure! It was $12.00 a day for secure parking. We could see our van from our stateroom. I'd go in October...less chance of a hurricane...although we went in August and got lucky! :thumbsup2 Best Wishes, Cindy

daisy112878
09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
First, we are going this December for 7 days land only :) Would it be cheaper to get annual passes and then next year just pay for a 4 day cruise and do our WDW hotel on our own? I would check the pricing. Compare an annual pass price to doing the ticket separately. If you do go with the annual pass disney does do rate codes so you can get a better deal at one of the resorts. Also compare prices of doing the land/sea separately. I've heard it's cheaper if you book the two completely separate. And I would come DCL prices to Dreams Unlimited and AAA (if you have AAA).

I see lots of people talking about all the things they are bringing, is there a luggage limit? DCL gives you 2 luggage tags per person but if you need more the porters at the port that take your checked luggage have more. Just know that the rooms are not very big and it's hard to store big suitcases if you have lots of them

We will have our own car, are the lots at the port secure? Can't answer from experience but I would think so considering so many people use them.

We have wireless satelite intervet via Sprint. Thus we never have to use a hotels wireless or dial-up service, since Sprint cellphones apparently work on the ships, does anyone know if this service will work? My dad had his verizon internet card and it only worked well in Key West. The rest of the time it didn't work so he ended up buying the internet package.

Would you go in September or October is you had the choice? We will be buying insurance Been in both months and both are awesome. Nice temperatures, not as crowded.

We've done a cat. 6 and cat. 11. We much prefer cat. 6. From what I've read the only difference between a 5 and 6 is location. We always pick deck 6 midship and love the location. Last cruise we have took an evelator since we were centrally located to everything.
I will be back with lots more questions I am sure.

dahuffy
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Cat.s 5 & 6 have a full,open verandah,where as cat. 7's have what is called a Navigators Verandah.

pfishgirl
09-02-2007, 06:30 PM
First, we are going this December for 7 days land only :) Would it be cheaper to get annual passes and then next year just pay for a 4 day cruise and do our WDW hotel on our own?

I see lots of people talking about all the things they are bringing, is there a luggage limit?

We will have our own car, are the lots at the port secure?

We have wireless satelite intervet via Sprint. Thus we never have to use a hotels wireless or dial-up service, since Sprint cellphones apparently work on the ships, does anyone know if this service will work?

Would you go in September or October is you had the choice? We will be buying insurance

All the ticket prices recently went up ( again ) we have annuals and it works out great, especially when you are able to make some non planned last minute trips..

Luggage limit on the cruise? Nope, Just remember there is Not too much room and space for storing suitcases..

Yes, we left a car in their lot for a week and nothing was ever done to it.. I was told their is a security guard that drives around and there are plenty of lights in the parking lots..

as for the cell phones.. sorry No clue.. we have nextella dn ours dont work..

September is generally cheaper and less crowded..

Cabin 7 has an abscured solid wall on the Veranda.. 6 does not..

Anal Annie
09-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi - love your WVU avatar BTW!

We just bought annual passes this year for the same reason(s) but only because we got a discount thru our DVC membership. If you work out a cost comparison, I don't think that you'd save anything without having a discount for the AP's. BUT, you might be ahead to buy Park Hoppers and add the "No Expiration" option to them! You can buy tickets that are good for up to 10 days I think and add that to them. I always compare these things based on the website info.

Cat. 7's have a solid wall railing with large porthole opening and not all Cat. 6's have a plexiglass railing - the aft ones have a solid wall railing - so you have to stand up in order to see over it. Personally, I would first try to book one of the "secret verandah" cabins at the Cat. 7 price (I think that they only hold 3 ppl. tho). Then I would go for a Cat. 6, midship if none of those are available. I don't know that going up to a Cat. 5 would give you a better room than a Cat. 6 for the additional money but I think the plexiglass railings are nicer than the solid wall ones. I would also price Oct VS Sept and see if there's any price difference. Both months are in hurricane season, but Sept is the peak month. Later in Oct. might be a safer bet?!

misseulalie
09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I didn't catch if you are staying on Disney property or not. If not, I would definitely recommend annual passes. Parking is like $12 a day.

Port parking lot is very secure.

Weather in Sept. and Oct. is beautiful, plus the ship is less full due to school in session. :goodvibes