PDA

View Full Version : what will you do differently on your next cruise

princesdi
09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Those of you who have cruised more than once or are booked, what will you do differently this time around---will you slow down more, do different activities??? Just curious what you learned the first time around that you will change this time.

Let me add that this time I will: sleep in, stay up later, sit on the deck and enjoy the peace, skip rotating dining when I want---this time around it will be more about R & R rather than vacation where you run non-stop.

mjy
09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
For me, the next time I do the Eastern Caribbean, I will do it, most likely, excusion-free. I've done the excursions that interested me already and would probably save my money and just get to the sites that I want on my own.

It would also mean that I would spend a little more time on board at some ports and do some of the activities that are available while the ship is in port. I've done very few of those in the past because I was always out on excursions.

Andrew DEREK UK
09-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Done four so far and fifth in 2008, I still am trying to do everything, last cruise, last month, I did the Gala desert buffett for the first time, always was too busy before, that was great-see DCL picture of the day thread.

Also this time I organised my own tours in the Med, but next time I will either do DCL ones or do it myself when I get there, say Acapulco by myself.

The main point is read the navigators really closley take a highlighter pen and list everything you want to do.

Say if Don Ducky Williams is on do that!

Now what I dropped last time, Plutos and Pizza, never went there in 11 days.

More photos next time from shutters- if they have photopass

DMMarla07860
09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
this time I'll do a 3 night and not a 7 night :sad2:, but other then that

-talk to the cruise staff more
-take more pictures
-go to atlantis hotel(which I didn't do on my first cruise on the wonder)

tinkerbell_29
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
This time we will be doing fewer excursions and way more relaxing on the boat. The med cruise was wonderful but we really never got to fully experience the ship and we want to deffinetly be doing that next time. It will also be a 7 night :sad2: instead of ten.

Lissa

caitlinsdad
09-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Party with my friends more,
Slow down and just enjoy just being onboard.

JNorris
09-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Swim in the adult pool.

Eat a casual dinner at Topsiders.

Spend a little time in a deck chair on deck 4.

Check out the secret deck on deck 7.

In 4 cruises, I've never done these things.

tink&cinderella
09-02-2007, 04:49 PM
NOT get off the ship....LOL:rotfl2:

Sorry I am still in adjustment mode from the 14 day transatlantic cruise.

Seriously, next time I will:

-take more time to sit and relax on deck 4 and in the comfy chairs in Quiet cove on deck 9 (get there early - they go fast)
-see all the adult caberet shows on Beat street - don't miss the last night pub-night event - it's a blast
-Swim at the adult pool
-Book a massage
-Book several back to back cruises - how will I ever go back to 7 day cruises!!!
-book a Cat. 12 GTY and hope for an upgrade

Denise

yndygo
09-02-2007, 05:05 PM
- Skip the massage - I can get a less expensive one same caliber at home, but would rather have the time to do other things onboard the ship...

- Taking a 7 day rather than a 3... More time on the ship is good!

- Relying more on the Kids Clubs for adult time now that we know DD loves them -- last time we weren't sure how she'd take to them

- Breakfast on the Verandah w/ Room Service... I love the verandah!

- More time in the Adult-only areas

ibouncetoo
09-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Next one is only three days long.....so it will definately just be hanging out on the ship with all my Nov 06 double-dip pals and my host in the WALT SUITE!!!

I definately want to attend Pub Night this trip too!

For the 08 trip....I'll be starting a list based on what folks post here, plus some things I've already come up with....15 days should give me plenty of opportunity to try lots of things I haven't done yet:

Dinner by the pool one evening.
Lunch in one of the three main restaurants (only done breakfast and dinner).
Nap on deck 4 comfy chairs
Take more pictures (now that I've got my digital!!)

Plus have quite a few DIS events planned already: Ladies Champagne party, Bunco, Australian Line Dancinc and Ladies Tea hosted by our UK pals (where we will learn how to REALLY speak English)!

JerseyBelle
09-02-2007, 06:02 PM
We are booked on our 2nd cruise for March 08. Here is what I will do differently:

1. Take the 7 night Western instead of Wonder 3 day. (already accomplished)
2. Pack less relative to the number of days. We had just too much stuff with us that we did not use on the 3 day.
3. Spread all our packing throughout the suitecases instead of separately for each of us. (My suitecase was lost for 24 hours and flown into Nassau)
3. Stop fretting that my dd wanted to be in the oceaneer lab so much and enjoy the adult time. Understand that is a different cruise for her then us.
4. Actually go to Palo this time. We canceled because we ended up with Animator's on the night we booked Palo.

I am sure there are others but that is it for now.

durango kid
09-02-2007, 06:54 PM
If I say eat less; will anyone believe me?

DMMarla07860
09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
If I say eat less; will anyone believe me?

haha I don't believe you, but don't worry I say that every cruise and it never works for me. maybe it will for you though

dahuffy
09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
This will be our 3rd. I plan to actually see The Golden Mickeys, stay up past 10:30, check out 70's Night in the club and relax.

bonnielynn
09-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Haven't been on our first cruise yet.. but next time I will want to do an Eastern since I am about to do a Western...

I will come back to this thread when I return... I should know more of what I will want to do.. and less of what its gonna be like..:rotfl:

Pansy
09-02-2007, 07:25 PM
First cruise was with 2 cousins, very busy trying to take everything in. 2nd was in July with DH & nephew and tried to do as much for my nephew as we could. Going in November with niece (she's 24) and think I'm just going to tell her the highlights, draw her a map and wish her the best of luck having fun.

Being a personal tour guide on a cruise can be hard work :rotfl2: This time I just want to relax with a good book.

candlemakerw/twins
09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Go to a show! Did the 3 night last year. We leave for the 4 night Wonder in 14 days! The girls were so young last year that we put them to bed right after dinner each night.

pfp258
09-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Our sixth Disney cruise is booked for next summer. A 7 night on the Mexican Riviera! We can't wait. Things I'd like to do differently: not get sick on the first night, take a nap during the day and see my daughters a little more frequently. Not sure about that last one as we are cruising with another family again and my girls love just having the freedom to hang out. (They are 14 and 12) My husband and I do love being able to hang out and relax by the adult pool together!

NCRedding
09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
We're sailing in 4 days (but who's counting). What I plan to do differently this time:

1. First day: pack swimsuit and relax by the adult pool after boarding and prior to drill. I may even skip Parrot Cay for lunch in favor of something from Plutos. Order the "drink of the day" on our first day.

2. Go to Atlantis for the day (already booked the Comfort Suites to use the water area)

3. Drink a Conk Cooler (five prior DCL cruises and I've never had one)

atinkerbellmom
09-02-2007, 08:02 PM
1) Pack all week as we go instead of spending the entire afternoon packing prior to the bags needing to be in the hallway. Each cruise, I have missed ALL the activities the last night after CC, because I am in the room packing.
2) Plan a little grazing for meals instead of doing a big breakfast, lunch and dinner. By the time the buffets come out on deck 9 at night or the dessert buffet, I am so stuffed, I never can take another bite. Three prior cruises and the next one in count down, I have never eaten a sandwich wrap, the fast food by the pool or the late night buffets. (What's my problem?????) :eek:
3) Take in more movies. Last cruise, my family did movies and I stayed and packed.
4) Go to the adult clubs more. I become so obsessed with the pager, that I only sit at the table and not enjoy my adult time, even though I have never been paged.;)
5) Check out the adult only stuff. The adult pool. Check out the adult only beach at CC (Serenity Bay).:beach: Check out that MUD ROOM that you guys have talked about on the boards. We have always stayed away from the spa activities. :goodvibes
6) Take less pictures and enjoy the deck parties and fireworks. Next time I want to "shake it like this and groove it like that". One cruise I video taped it all, the other cruises, I spent taking pictures. I actually could not see the "whole picture" until I saw our video or watched it on U Tube. :sad2:

jlawall
09-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, I just completed my sixth DCL cruise and I'm really proud b/c I don't have too many regrets.............but what will I do differently??

We're booked for Mexico 2008, I plan to try to book my own excursions thru private tours or do different tours than we did last time.....

Other than that......

Continue to enjoy the dining rooms each night (the waiter & food service gets better every cruise!)
Continue to go to Palo for brunch, tea and dinner
Continue to go to the Vista Spa at least once
Continue to go to Bingo only once or twice so I don't get burned out
Continue to see a movie or two
Continue to go to Pirate Night
Continue to go to Rockin' Bar D (b/c we ALWAYS HAVE SO MUCH FUN THERE!)
:cloud9:

julielouhoo
09-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I think I would do the late seating for dinner. It was just too rushed to get back on board and get all of us ready for dinner at 5:45pm.

I think that's it! The rest of it was pretty perfect!
Terri

Married_A_Disney_Nut
09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
- go to Rockin' Bar D every night to see the evening's act
- order all 5 deserts on the menu and graze around the plates
- get up earlier each day in order to enjoy every minute on the ship
- go to bed later each day...
- hang out by the adult pool

Laurabearz
09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
We started with a 3 day, so we are upping the anti by doing a 7 day next.

I tried to cram way too much stuff into the 3 day... soooooooooo

I have very little planned. Maybe One or Two acitivties a day, and plan to 'wing' the rest.

Barbossa
09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Make more Palo reservations.

Explore the ship more, hang out topdeck while at sea and take in the open ocean.

Experience more departures and arrivals while outside.

Fewer excursions.

Explore more of Castaway Cay.

branv
09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Ummm...if I said Nap LESS would I sound weird? ;) We practically slept some of our afternoons away on our first cruise, which was great on one hand...it's vacation after all! But on the other hand, we missed way too much.

Swim more...only swam in the pool once.

Do more excursions - we toured on our own at Nassau and just chilled on the beach at CC. I'd like to try snorkeling and the stingrays this time.

Skip sit down dinners...again took up too much time and we weren't that into the food. Which also means for next time - pack less and more casually! :cool1:

Try room service and regular lunch on board (also something we missed due to touring and brunch at Palo).

Get more coffee at Cove instead of choking down Nescafe swill. :snooty:

Play bingo (though I'm not sure why, I am sort of the antithesis of good luck. So whatever you do, don't rub my head!)

Next time I will remind myself that no matter how it looks, it is just a crowd not a riot, and I will brave deck 9 to try some of the dessert buffet during Pirate Night.

Go to the clubs. We missed it last time b/c I assumed it was just for dancing, which I don't do. Now I know better.

Do the martini tasting :thumbsup2

Not rush to get to the port. Last time we arrived around 10:45 and we still received #12. We ended up just sitting and waiting while I dodged a football the family next to us decided to toss around. On our next trip we will take our time getting up, eat a leisurely breakfast at Kona, then make our way to the port. By the time we arrive we should be able to embark without waiting very long.

NOT schedule my palo dinner the night before our palo brunch. Oh the agony and the ecstasy!

Bring a clock for the bedside. It was incredibly disorienting to not know what time it was. I usually wake up a few times a night and without a window (we had the 2 closeable port holes on deck 1) I couldn't tell if I should go back to sleep or if it was time to get up!

PizzieDuster
09-03-2007, 01:38 AM
1. Pack less. In all 5 cruises, I've over packed.

2. Spend more time in Cafe Cove. Use the computers there, hang out more.

3. Be more organized with my beach bags, ran out of sun screen.

4. Spend more time on deck - any deck.

5. More soft serve ice cream.

6. Mickey Bar. Never had one.

7. More pictures. Sometimes it was just too hard to get out the camera, this next time I WILL!

OFF TOPIC: Lessens learned:

1. Board early go straight to Mickey Pool for swimming. Can bring food out by the pool, even from the buffet. It's empty and CLEAN!

2. Grab our favorite spot on Deck 10 for the Sail A Way as soon as the life boat drill ends.

3. Packing snacks for excursions, bringing zip lop bags.

Footnotegirl
09-03-2007, 02:16 AM
Going on our third this coming April. Things we learned on our second and are taking in to our third:

- Do more active excursions. Kayaking was fun!
- Don't eat dinner on the buffet night, or at least remember there's a buffet and keep it down.
- Rasul Mud Spa.
- Heck, make sure to hit the rainforest room every single day.
- It isn't really a vacation until you have a plastic coconut in your hand.
- sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen
- Conditioner, conditioner, conditioner.

eva
09-03-2007, 07:02 AM
I agree with a number of you about staying up later and sleeping in more. We will be back on the Magic in 19 days and we also decided to do more active excursions. We will probably see only 3 or 4 shows during the 7 nights. I've decided I don't need to see Golden Mickey's again. I want to catch more of the adult seminars and events. And we will probably skip the CC get together.

mom+3girls
09-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I am going to go to Palo, alone but I am going.

I will not run around like a crazy person trying to do everything.

Book on board for the next cruise.

Go to the adult clubs.

I will not over pack my carry on bag.

pgfour
09-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Our third cruise is in November; I'd like to:

-- visit the Rainforest room

-- go to martini and/or wine tasting

-- work out in the fitness area more (so I can eat more!!:lmao: )

-- dine in Palo (which we've already booked)

-- encourage DD to spend an evening or two in Oceaneer Club so we can have some adult time.

A couple things we did last time, that we'll do again:

-- eat a dinner in Topsiders

-- hang out on deck 10 and watch a movie at night

-- order room service for snacks and virgin tropical drinks

-- watch a sporting event in Diversions (if it happens to be on Pirate Night, you'll have the place to yourselves)

RCBA
09-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Palo
Rainforest Room
Eastern itinerary
Do an excursion sans kiddos
Get to the pirate buffet before it is gone

oklamomof4boys
09-03-2007, 09:55 AM
We've only cruised once and it was a 4 night. We tried to get too much in ( at the time we thought it would be our only cruise) and we were too tired. Our next cruise is 7 nights, so we have a little more time. Next time we will

-order room service
-eat much less for breakfast ( the food was decent at breakfast, but, except for the pineapple, chocolate croissant and omelettes- nothing outstanding)
-eat lunch/breakfast at a sit down restaurant
-just relax more. Lounge around on deck 4
-go to more of the family games. We had the best time at those
-try Palo for dinner
-take more pictures with characters. My boys weren't interested at all with characters so we never waited in line for a picture. The only pictures we have with characters is at the terminal with Donald Duck and Hades at the Til We Meet Again. Next time, I at least want a picture with Mickey.

dobelover
09-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I plan on skipping Golden Mickeys and the 'A Twisted Time or Tale' and seeing what goes on in Rockin' Bar D.

101DalmFan
09-03-2007, 01:25 PM
What I did do that I want to do again:

Dinner at Palo
Brunch at Palo
Bingo
Decadent coffees at the Cove
Relax on the loungers on Deck 4
Explore the ship
Eat my fill of ice cream
Have a burger for lunch by the pool
Take LOTS of pictures
Get my picture taken with characters
Go to the pin-trading session(s) in the lobby

What I did do that I'm glad I did, but could now miss:

Spa treatment
Use the Internet service to constantly email friends and family back home

What I didn't do that I'd like to do:

Get on board as early as possible on Day 1
Linger as long as possible on the day we disembark
Order more than one dessert at least once
Have Tea at Palo
See a movie
Get up earlier to be up on Deck 10 just as morning breaks
Get upgraded! :woohoo:

dmi188
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
1. 7 day instead of 4
2. Dinner at Palo, not just Brunch. (do both!)
3. Breakfast and lunch at the main restaurants at least once.
4. Stay up for Pirate or Dessert buffet.
5. Take a nap, so I can stay up late!
6. Try the buffet at dinner.

lillygator
09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I plan to see one of the shows...in three cruises we've never made it!

princesdi
09-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughts---they have stirred up some things I think I will make sure I get to next time as well. Make sure the kids make it to the kids clubs, see a movie, sit on deck 4, more room service etc. etc.

Keep it coming!!

smahoney6
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
This time we're doing 4 day so I'm gonna stay on the boat as much as possible..we also got a cat 3 connecting with a cat 4 so we're gonna try to use concierge as much as possible!!

Gonna try to stay up later.....try to do more adult things at night instead of going to bed with the kids (don't worry- my mom goes with me- she'll watch them)

Gonna sit on the veranda more and watch the blue, blue water..

Gonna go to WDW water parks the day before the cruise

Gonna try the late sitting instead of the early

Can't wait!

Mary Jo
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
We really had a fantastic time on our cruise, and I enjoyed our verandah and room service.

We had brunch twice at Palos, and canceled our dinner there because we enjoyed dinner in the normal restaurants and enjoyed our servers. It wasn't important to us to have a more formal dinner at Palos. So, I maybe would have dinner, maybe not.

* Spend time in the adult clubs with the other adults having fun. I saw pics of our fellow DISers partying it up, and wish I had been there.
* Dance on Deck 9 at the outdoor parties instead of watching from Deck 10.
* Go to the Sailaway Party
* Do the family games
* Get out of the room more
* One game of Bingo instead of two
* Plan more private excursions with fellow DISers rather than the official DCL tours - we enjoyed those much more
* Not get the Bon Voyage sweets that were in the room when we arrived. They weren't needed, and were an additional cost.
* Get less internet

Can't think of much more. We really enjoyed everything we did on the cruise.

pfp258
09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Have my family wear something matching on embarkation day(maybe khaki's and white polo shirts) so that when we get onboard and have our picture taken it will look far better than others we have had taken!
My sister just did this for her family cruise and it looks awesome!

101DalmFan
09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
What I did do that I want to do again:

Dinner at Palo
Brunch at Palo
Bingo
Decadent coffees at the Cove
Relax on the loungers on Deck 4
Explore the ship
Eat my fill of ice cream
Have a burger for lunch by the pool
Take LOTS of pictures
Get my picture taken with characters
Go to the pin-trading session(s) in the lobby

What I did do that I'm glad I did, but could now miss:

Spa treatment
Use the Internet service to constantly email friends and family back home

What I didn't do that I'd like to do:

Get on board as early as possible on Day 1
Linger as long as possible on the day we disembark
Order more than one dessert at least once
Have Tea at Palo
See a movie
Get up earlier to be up on Deck 10 just as morning breaks
Get upgraded! :woohoo:

Here's what I'd like to add to my original post (quoted above) now that I've thought about it more:

These are all things I did -- all food-related :lmao: -- that I DEFINITELY want to do again:

*Have sit-down breakfasts (we did it a few times, and enjoyed it each time -- a nice change from the buffet)
*Have sit-down lunches (only did it once and it was a terrific meal, very yummy, and I wish I'd done it more often)
*Make sure room service keeps us stocked with fruit plates and cheese plates -- so nice to snack on and they keep well in the mini fridge
*Order Mickey bars from room service more often (we only did it once)

msnicky28
09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
This thread is great, we r going on our first disney cruise saturday , so when is this pub night, where? is it on the magic and wonder or just one ? Is it on the 7 day and 3 or just one ? Thanks !
Kristen

kath1210
09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, DH and I are going on an adults-only cruise on the Wonder in a couple of weeks. I love my DD13 so much, but she is shy, doesn't like the clubs, and sticks to us like glue when we are on a cruise. In 3 cruises I have never even seen the adult pool, so DH and I are going to indulge in the adults-only activities and areas on the ship. We cannot wait! :thumbsup2

ibouncetoo
09-03-2007, 11:05 PM
This thread is great, we r going on our first disney cruise saturday , so when is this pub night, where? is it on the magic and wonder or just one ? Is it on the 7 day and 3 or just one ? Thanks !
Kristen

Pub night is on all cruises, the last night of the cruise. Be sure and have your packing/luggage all taken care of (that's why I've missed it in the past!), as it's late...like 10:45pm.

DMMarla07860
09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Kristen

I'm pretty sure I read it is just on 7 and 4 night cruises and not on 3 night ones

pansmermaidzlagoon
09-04-2007, 11:44 AM
this will be our second DCL - and it will be 15 nts.....so it will be different:

***more adult time and relaxing: do adult pool and time on deck 4 just reading or something. Do all possible adult seminars!

***skip dining room some nights: not rush back from shore days - relax more on sea days up by pool

***not feel guilty about having DD spend more time at kids clubs....she loves it there..

***more mochas, etc from Cove Cafe!!!!

***play more BINGO - we have won 2x out of 4 cruises thanks to the mojo from my lucky kooshball keychain!!!!

***not freak out so much if the seas get especially rough - after last Halloween cruise I have a new appreciation of what the ship can handle!!!

***catch a movie on deck 10

***have more pics taken - I am not photogenic so I ruin many while DH and DD look great - sooo I normally avoid - but this time I have promised to pose for more in the hopes a few turn out OK

***skip the kids graduation party (unless really important to DD, which I doubt)

***somehow eat less ( a must with 15 days instead of 7) and walk more (thankfully easier with more days!)

***try for Palo dinner - we have only done brunch

***if I were repeating an itinerary (east/west), I would say stay onboard more - but this trip will be all firsts for us - with less chance of getting back to

***keep a journal!!! - to better remember every Magical moment!!!!:wizard:

:wizard:

beachbratt
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, DH and I are going on an adults-only cruise on the Wonder in a couple of weeks. I love my DD13 so much, but she is shy, doesn't like the clubs, and sticks to us like glue when we are on a cruise. In 3 cruises I have never even seen the adult pool, so DH and I are going to indulge in the adults-only activities and areas on the ship. We cannot wait! :thumbsup2

When do you sail we leave on the 16th? Adults only this time for us too...

ch10dad
09-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I plan to hide under the bed when it's time to disembark...

:rolleyes1

Hobbitmomma
09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
The first time we went we took a four day cruise. My husband and I agree, that that was just too short. Next time it will be a 7 day.

Also, I won't do the graduation ceremony again. My kids loved it and I'm glad that they got to participate and got the t-shirt, but we got no pictures or video that were useful. We got there really early and were in about the 9th row, but as soon as the kids started to walk in, all of the parents stood up, including those in the first few rows and we couldn't see our kids at all. After they had all made it to the stage, some of these folks still kept standing! I mean they were in the front rows for cryin' out loud. My husband and I and a few other parents kept asking people to please sit down so that we could all see our kids, but we were largely ignored. I will not do that again. I can't believe the selfishness and rudeness of some people.

Anyway, I think that we will also try to spend more time just relaxing and I would like to get to the adults only beach at CC. We didn't get to do that last time.

princesdi
09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I think the consensus among everyone is more REST and don't rush!!

kath1210
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
When do you sail we leave on the 16th? Adults only this time for us too...

I wish we were going on the 16th. But, alas, it's only a 3-nighter for us this time. We leave on the 20th.

Have a great time!

disneytraceyl
09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
1. We have always gone on the 4-night. We are doing the 7-night this time.

2. Stay longer at the beach in Castaway Cay.

3. Enjoy the pool on the ship more.

4. Eat more room service for breakfast.

Mom24Princesses
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
**First day: pack swimsuit and relax by the adult pool after boarding and prior to drill. I may even skip Parrot Cay for lunch in favor of something from Plutos. Order the "drink of the day" on our first day.

**Drink a Conk Cooler (five prior DCL cruises and I've never had one)

1)
**Pack all week as we go instead of spending the entire afternoon packing prior to the bags needing to be in the hallway. Each cruise, I have missed ALL the activities the last night after CC, because I am in the room packing.

** Go to the adult clubs more.
** Check out the adult only stuff. The adult pool. Check out the adult only beach at CC (Serenity Bay).:beach: Check out that MUD ROOM that you guys have talked about on the boards. We have always stayed away from the spa activities. :goodvibes

** Heck, make sure to hit the rainforest room every single day.

**It isn't really a vacation until you have a plastic coconut in your hand.

(Where do I get a plastic coconut??)

**I will not over pack my carry on bag.

That comes close.

Eat breakfast in a sit down.
Eat lunch in a sit down
Let the girls sleep in leaving room service breakfast in our cabin for them.
Remind the girls that it is mom and dad's vacation too and we are having some grown-up time. Seemed one or two were always hanging around. Spent maybe 90 minutes of a 7-night-crusie by the adult pool. NEVER saw Serenity Bay :eek:

woody73
09-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Spend less time posting live reports on the DIS boards.

Woody

beachbratt
09-06-2007, 08:32 AM
I wish we were going on the 16th. But, alas, it's only a 3-nighter for us this time. We leave on the 20th.

Have a great time!

Thanks you too...pirate:

princesdi
09-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I plan to hide under the bed when it's time to disembark...

:rolleyes1

I think I might try this, I will let you know how it works:banana:

LUVMICKEY
09-06-2007, 09:37 PM
We'll probably take excursions, but we'll do short ones. And do more room service.

CM_Mom
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
We had my 80 something mom and aunt with us on our last cruise and I think I worried so much the first three or four days about whether they were having a good time and planning things they would enjoy that I didn't completely enjoy the cruise myself.

This time we have my MIL and SIL and our DS and DDIL going also but I'm going to do some general planning, make some suggestions for excursions and go with the flow more. While we have some activities planned for the whole group, DH and I have some excursions planned that only we will like.

I guess to sum it up, I plan to be more selfish this time. Hope that doesn't sound too horrible.

SFed
09-07-2007, 08:11 AM
With #10 coming up we have done about everything you can do I think. We booked our first DCL cruise about three weeks before departure and knew absolutely nothing about the ship other than we needed to be in Port Canaveral on a Saturday. I almost feel sorry for you guys who don’t get to show up and just be amazed by the entire process without knowing everything beforehand. We did not know they would call our name. I did not know the horn was When you Wish Upon a Star (I still remember hearing that for the first time). I think that is why our first cruise is still probably my favorite (although the one last year with a double dip at least tied it).

Also, for most, your first won’t be your last.

Some dos:

Try and be the last one at the beach on Castaway Cay - if you stay till the end you get about an hour with little to no crowds. If you need another reason to linger, they usually have two for one drinks at the bar as well late in the day.

Go to Serenity Bay – one of my favorite places on earth.

Plan on getting to the ship early and realizing the first day is part of the cruise and also has the shortest lines on the Mickey slide.

Get to know the cast members all over the ship. I still wish Miguel was on the Magic.

Go to the bar at Palo for a drink on a night you are not eating there.

Your own thing at the ports.

Spend some time in a chair on Deck 4.

A late night hot tub visit.

The galley tour.

If you drink, bring some wine and beer onboard with you (yes you can).

Order some cheese and crackers from room service while getting ready for dinner.

In Cozumel, after dinner, put the kids in the clubs and then walk to the Carlos and Charles at the end of the pier for a margarita in a yard glass (see a trend).

Not waste too much time shopping – do you really have beaches with crystal clear blue water at home??

See the shows. I still love Dreams.

Have a breakfast and a lunch in Lumiers (Tritons on the Wonder)

See Darryl in Sessions if he is there.

Let lose at little bit – you will probably never see these people again. I’m not much for dancing, but I have been one of the Village People on more than one occasion, and my wife was in the Go Gos.

Go to Palo Brunch.

Check out the artwork in the hallways.

Not go to breakfast on the last day. You can sleep in and go to the buffet.

Try to be the last one off the ship (I always secretly hope they will just let us stay on for the next one).

Be kind to your fellow cruisers. If you want to be an ***, stay home (or go on Carnival).

Hear the ships horn as many times as possible during a cruise (I hit 20 one time).

Tip your wait staff and room attendant. They work harder than you can imagine.

I probably have about 50 more, but I’ll stop there.

One thing I always wanted to do is to watch a sunrise at sea.

Maybe this time I will get up early enough…

TYGGERJ
09-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Sfed-These are great I leave in 1 week for our first DCL. I am printing this list and adding it to my notebook.

Zandy595
09-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Pack less.
Wear casual dinner clothes, I'm not doing formal again.
Don't wait til the very last second to pack at the end of the cruise. I was so miserable the last night because all my family was out having fun and I was stuck in the cabin packing.
Get up early to see at least one sunrise from deck 10
Have a dinner or two at Topsiders.
Eat a chocolate souffle from Palo.
Have more adult beverages, only had one on our last cruise.
Don't forget my bathing suit like last time.
Try out all the pools.
Watch a movie (maybe POTC) on the jumbo screen at night. It wasn't there on our last cruise.

princesdi
09-07-2007, 12:13 PM
you guys are giving me the chills, I cannot wait til our 2nd cruise in December. I forgot how magical the sunrise and sunsets were---this time I want to make sure my sleepy heads get up and experience at least one of those quiet mornings on the ship while everyone else is sleeping. I am so glad I started this thread, I have realized how unimportant it is to see everything and that it is the simple things that will make our cruise magical.