PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Children

tex0312
08-31-2007, 11:41 PM
:dance3: :dance3: Hi,

Are birth certificates needed for flying with children? Do they need some kind of ID? Also my grandson is from a previous relationship and has a different last name. Will he need a letter from his father giving permission for him to travel? He will be traveling with his mother and step father.

Thanks

Tex0312

dougsmom98
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
You shouldn't need birth certificates when flying with children but for some reason, I always feel better taking copies of them. I bring them just in case someone questions something at the airport or at the parks. I have no good reason for this, it just makes me feel better. I am not sure about the child with a different last name. I can't imagine it would be a problem, but you never know.

amy1976
09-01-2007, 08:04 AM
My kids have passports so we always bring them just in case, but before that I did bring dd's birth certificate and no one ever asked to see it.

LJRJR
09-01-2007, 08:10 AM
I have never brought a birth certificate with me for any of my children regardless of having purchased a seat for them or having an infant in my lap. I always purchased the tickets via telephone with the airlines becuase I wanted to hear of any "special instructions" for flying with children and I was never told I needed documentation (for either age or who they actually were). So, I have never brought their birth certificates with me, and no one has even questioned it. However, all of our trips were within the U.S. not international, of course that would be different. Enjoy your trip.

all4fun
09-01-2007, 08:32 AM
We have flown previously w/our 3 step-nieces and a step-nephew (different last names) and were never required to show ID for them. We've also flown numerous times w/our ds (always ticketed) and never had to show ID for him either. The only time you may be asked to show a birth cert. or some sort of ID is if flying with a lap baby - and that may required as proof of age since only babies under the age of two can fly as lap babies and the FAA is pretty strict about that from what I understand.

hth

tex0312
09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone. That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. They have changed so much with air travel in today's world. Thanks again.
Tex0312