PDA

View Full Version : California Grill and the DDP

smilingmouse
08-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm headed to WDW on 9/21 (goota love the free DDP) and I currently have an ADR for the Cali Grill. Has anyone ever eaten there with the DDP? Was anything excluded from the menu? Did you think it was "worth" the 2 credits? If not, is there another signature restaurant you can recommend instead? Thanks!:goodvibes

Illuminations_Rocks
08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I've eaten there on the DDP. I think there are some exclusions with regards to the sushi for appetizer but I cannot answer that - (no seafood here). With regular ordering, you got the standard app/entree/dessert, and we could get any entree. But mostly, goodness that was theeee best food I've had, hands down. I have dreams about the goat cheese ravioli!!!! Honestly, soooo good. The only other signature I've eaten at was Artist Point, which was also very good, had better service, but the food at CA Grill was to die for. So, soooo good. We had to wait a veryyyy long time to sit, and then to order, and we were not happy - but the food, the food made up for it.

smilingmouse
08-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks! I've always wanted to eat there so I'm really looking forward to this. I'm thinking that I may need to tweak my WGP ADR now that I've read that you cannot order steak on the DDP....

Shasta
08-31-2007, 07:14 AM
I have had recent events that changed my opinion about CG. I listened to the Podcast review of CG that DIS hosted. The review was ok but in general left me to believe that it's not worth the 2 TS credits. Portions were small, the prices were very high, and (in the reviewers case) the waiter was poor.

The reviewer stated that the food was very good though. The steak, after being cooked was the size of a deck of cards but tasted great. If you are planning to watch Wishes on the deck, that has a value that has to be considered. If you are not planning to watch Wishes, I'd use those TS credits for two other TS dinners.

The Review is on the Podcast dated 7/31/07 "Discussion part 1" and the review begins at the 36 minute 45 second mark.

mkross
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
and the portions were in no way skimpy. I had the cheese plate appy...it was very big and yummy. Also has the pork signature dish. I was unsure about ordering this as I'm not a big polanta fan, but this turned out to be my favorite entree of the entire trip and the polanta was fantastic. We had a good waiter...the next table said he was the best. We'll....he was very good, when he was there. He spend most of his time chatting with them. This dinner took 2 1/2 hours, which I felt was too long considering we ate through wishes. However, the view was soooo worth it! During our trip we had great service on the DDP. The next people that came to that same table were paying OOP and they had about the same service as we did. Yes, I would do it....it was worth it IMO.

Amyrlin
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
We always found the food to be excellent and the portions fine. I think the issue is not that the portions are small, but they are not as large as some other restaurants where the portions are very large! You can go there and eat three courses without being rolled out, but you will feel very pleasantly full and satisfied.

cdtommie
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
There are only two sushi restrictions - Yoshi's platter and Snake in the Grass - I believe these are the two sushi items that cost over $20.

iluvepcot
09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
We just ate at Cali last night. I had the halibut over rosoto (spell?). My husband had some steak dish and my dd had the filet which she was able to cut with a butter knife. All meals were excellent. Only the Yoshi sushi and the snake in the grass are the only exclusions with aps. All other sushi is included. We were able to view the pirate and princess fw at the observation deck. This was a good thing as they sat us way back in a seperate section in the rear by the kitchen. This is our third meal here and I never knew they had this section. My DH commented that they are putting all of us Free dining people back here. Not sure if that was why. I always ask for my seat to be changed but decided to just go with the flow last night. It was fine but not the best area to sit.

smilingmouse
09-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Thanks to everyone for the responses! I really appreciate all ofthe great info!

natalielongstaff
09-02-2007, 03:00 AM
i am eating here in 9 days time ;) thanks for the info !

mickey2minnie1
09-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Is it possible and not frowned upon to make ressies for just dessert in the late evening????:confused3

Anyone????

LoriZH
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info! We were hoping we could get the sushi for apps, dd & I are pretty much addicted to sushi and will be eating a late night dinner on 9/25 :thumbsup2

I've eaten here before twice and easily it was the best meal on property that we've experienced, the portions were just fine for us, we certainly didn't leave hungry that's for sure!

kaytieeldr
09-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Not being able to order steak at WPC on the DDP is somewhat misleading; since the management company has removed that item - along with several others - from the menu entirely, nobody can order steak there. However, it appears most, if not all, these dishes are available at WPC-Upstairs (which, yes, does not participate in the DDP).

iluvepcot, that was probably the Wine Room and has nothing to do with how you were paying for your meal but is simply where there was seating available.

While the Podcast reviewer's meat seemed skimpy, especially for the price, it also sounds like exactly the recommended serving size of three ounces (about the size of a deck of cards).

smilingmouse
09-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Given that I'll get apps ans dessert, I'm actually kind of happy that the portions aren't too large. Thanks for the clairification on WGP, too. I changed that ADR to Nine Dragons.