PDA

View Full Version : OT - HELP - Hamster loose in house - ICK

SusieStone
08-28-2007, 04:23 AM
I woke up this AM to find the running globe off of the cage and lying on the counter in the kitchen. Rascal is GONE. No droppings, no signs.....What do I do. How about if he gets in all my paper and stuff.

He spun so hard - it popped off. Can you imagine?

Will my Schnauzeer eat him? I hate to be morbid - I keep thinking about that - ICK!

rlovew
08-28-2007, 04:38 AM
We had a hamster at my parents house that used to do that. My brother said that the first hamster he had would just come to him when he called its name if it escaped. He would have to walk around the house calling for it. The second escaping hamster never did that they would lay out food and wait for it tocome back.

I don't know enough about what Schnauzers eat to tell you if it might eat the little guy.

Rebecca

ddavis860
08-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Oh No!!!

Susie, that's terrible! I hope the little guy is found unharmed! And I do hope that you find it before the dog! :wizard:

AlexWyattMommy
08-28-2007, 05:36 AM
I think the dog question is a valid concern. Any dog might think the hamster is new fangled squeaky toy. Perhaps the dog wouldn't mind being confined to the bathroom or outside until the hampster is found?

Food & water, in the middle of the room, is probably your best bet if it doesn't answer to it's own name. None of our hampsters did.

lewdyan1
08-28-2007, 05:50 AM
:eek: :scared1: :scared: :faint:

lovetoscrap
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Here is how I caught mine when I was teaching and he escaped. I did have the good luck of knowing where he was hiding and only having one room so this could be more difficult in your home.

Make a homemade "hamster trap" Get a large smooth sided plastic or rubber box, like a Rubbermaid storage box. It needs to have tall enough sides that he can't climb out ( shoebox size is not big enough). I then built a ramp leading up to it--I taught K so I had blocks but you could use books or boxes. Then I put his favorite food on it that I knew he couldnt' resist. I used pumpkin seeds. I spaced them out on the ramp so he would have to keep climbing up to get to the next one--don't use to many 'cause you don't want him to fill his cheek pouches before he gets to the top (only 5 or 6). Then I put more in the box so he would go in after them (make sure the box isn't to deep so he won't get hurt). VIOLA! Stuck hamster!

Hamsters are nocturnal so set this up at night. It may take a few days to work. Keep the dog confined to your bedroom at night or somewhere away from where the hamster disappeared until you catch the hamster, because he will come out at night to look for bedding (your papers) and food. You might remove any dog food and any other food source at night so the hamster will be attracted to the "trap".

Good luck! And make sure you check your shoes before you put your feet in them :scared: :crazy2:

marlynnp
08-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Our first hamster, Friday, used to escape a lot. (she wanted to be known as "free-range Friday"). I'd always find her under a piece of furniture. I would just sit in the middle of the room with everything quiet and listen to figure out where she was, move the furniture and get her..... she'd never run away from me when I found her.

Luckly our current hamster, Tuesday, has no interest in leaving her house. Her door was accidentally left open one night and she didn't go out!

party of 3
08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Our first hamster, Friday, used to escape a lot. (she wanted to be known as "free-range Friday"). I'd always find her under a piece of furniture. I would just sit in the middle of the room with everything quiet and listen to figure out where she was, move the furniture and get her..... she'd never run away from me when I found her.

Luckly our current hamster, Tuesday, has no interest in leaving her house. Her door was accidentally left open one night and she didn't go out!

marlyn, those hampster names are killin' me!!!!!!!:rotfl:

PrincessNancy96
08-29-2007, 04:21 PM
ok, so what's the status on "where's hamster?"...

Mar~ love those names!!! :)

hopemax
08-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Susie posted on her swap thread that she lured the escape hamster back with grapes. So I think all is :thumbsup2

SusieStone
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Susie posted on her swap thread that she lured the escape hamster back with grapes. So I think all is :thumbsup2

I did find him.

No worries girls.....He won't get mailed in a swap box by accident.

PrincessNancy96
08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks Hope.. I'm not in the other swap so I don't check it... Thanks for the update....

Glad you found him Susie.. I would have freaked out if I had opened a swap box w/ that surprise in it!!!

AStarOnMars
08-30-2007, 01:20 AM
When I was 8 ... one of my Hamster would escape weekly from his cage ... but luckily we knew right where he would go ... for some reason he had an obsession with my Barbie car

When I was 22 ... my hamster escaped from his temporary cage (I put him in it when I was cleaning his real cage, which consist of four homes connected with 25-30 colored tubes running up and down three levels of my bookcase) ...

My cat found him under my bed for me ... no my cat did not harm my hamster who we called Mr. Angelica ... we were told he was a girl but later found out he was a boy but he already responded to "Angelica" ... so I just added Mr. ... he was also potty trained to go in those hamster litter boxes they sell at PetsMart ... I thought the boxes would not work but they sure did ... he only peed in the little boxes and every morning I would scoop his pee(s) out ... unless Mr. Angelica was a gifted hamster :)

well, that is going well off topic lol