PDA

View Full Version : We ate here, there, and back to here...8/19 to 8/25 from Beach Club on DDP complete

TxRabbit
08-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Here is my attempt to add to the wealth of knowledge here on the boards:idea:, reviewing many restaurants that aren't reviewed often. There will be a lot of photos as I bought a new memory card for my camera right before we left.:thumbsup2 And my DH was so kind and generally paused to let me photograph his food before he took a bite:love:. DS thought this was hillarious and generally wanted to pose while looking like he was drooling over his food:eek: (so I apologize for that in advance:scared: ).

The wacky family includes, yours truly, DW (35), DH (34), and DS (6). DH and I have been trying to eat on the healthy side more often than not...although we do still enjoy a junk food binge:rolleyes1 . DS simply loves meat and pasta. We were on the DDP. We stayed at the Beach Club 8/19 to 8/25 2007.

Included in this review will be:

Table Service:
Yacht Club Galley lunch p.1 #3
Cape May Cafe character breakfast p.1 #15
Wolfgang Puck Cafe lunch p.3 #37
Yacht Club Galley breakfast p.3 #45
San Angel Inn dinner p.4 #51
Sci-Fi Dine Inn lunch p.4 #59
Crystal Palace character dinner p.6 #76

Counter Service:
Wolfgang Puck Express Marketplace location lunch p.2 #17
Pinocchio Village Haus lunch p.3 #35
Yakitori House Japan lunch p.4 #46
Tangierine Cafe lunch p.4 #47
Wolfgang Puck Express West Side location lunch p.5 #68
Yakitori House Japan lunch AGAIN p.6 #85
Random Epcot Cart p.6 #86
Beach Club Marketplace lunch (and snacks) p.6 #89

Snacks:
Goofy's Candy Company snack p.2 #22
Beach Club Marketplace snack (gelato) p.2 #23
Beach Club Marketplace snack dinner (lunchables) p.3 #39
Popcorn Cart in MK p.6 #84
Beach Club Marketplace (lunch and) snacks p.6 #89

Dinner Show:
Mickey's Backyard BBQ p.5 #64

I hope this review is helpful to you...enjoy!

I'm off to write review #1!:goodvibes

Liz
08-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Can't wait to read your reviews and see the pics of your DS! Sounds like lots of fun!

TxRabbit
08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
This was an unexpected meal. When we arrived to check in, we found out we were the Beach Club Family of the Day!
:welcome:
Unfortunately, our room was unavailable (it was before noon) and so for our inconvenience, the hotel would buy us lunch!:woohoo: How about the Yacht Club Galley? Fine by me! As we walked past Beaches and Cream, we were offered to eat there instead...but I actually was interested in the Galley...I had read mixed reviews, mostly regarding whether or not it was worthy of a TS credit, and generally favorable toward quiet and uncrowded. Ahhhhh. That sounded nice.

The Galley is a quiet restaurant. The music playing is very soft, instrumental. Before noon, the restaurant was virtually empty. It is decorated in a nautical theme and would otherwise remind me of an IHOP or CoCos type restaurant with fewer, if any, booths. Mostly tables with chairs. It is an open restaurant, meaning that the traffic that flows from the YC lobby toward the YC/BC common area flows around the perimeter of the restaurant. Even so, it isn't loud. The restrooms are located outside the restaurant. You exit doors in the buffet area into the hall area.

We were fairly hungry after our travel morning. We left our home at 5:30ish CDT. DH and I ordered the Galley Steak Salad - grilled and sliced top sirloin, served medium-rare, with bibb lettuce, vine-ripened tomatoes, carrot curls, cucumbers, red onions, crumbled blue cheese, and roasted red pepper ranch dressing.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2374.jpg

The picture does not do justice to how high this salad was stacked. This was a very tasty salad. The lettuce was crisp. The sirloin was tender, and although it looks quite brown in this picture, it was quite pink in the center. Juicy and delicious, with a very nice seasoning. The dressing was good, nice and hearty to match the sirloin, but it did seem over dressed toward the end. I might ask for the dressing on the side next time. The blue cheese was YUM! DH was even impressed with the amount of meat served with the salad. There was plenty to share with DS.

DS ordered Beef and Macaroni with marinara sauce and topped with mozzarella served with veggies and fruit salad, however, his only came with the fruit, which is just as well, considering that he doesn't really like his veggies. I didn't take a picture of his cute Mickey plate, because he was very hungry and started eating right away. The highlight of his meal was the build your own sundae.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2375.jpg

which we helped him finish. Even though this meal would be reimbursed, we did not "go to town." We were so full from the salad, we didn't order dessert. The total cost of the meal, with two beverages and whatever tip DH left was $53.88.

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. However, I would certainly consider this a fine table service restaurant if you were staying in the area. It is a nice break from the crowds, very convenient, and what we ordered was very tasty.

CJ
08-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Your review sounds like the first of many wonderful descriptions!

But when I try to look at your pictures I get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photos4118/6/27/43/64/14/0/14644327612_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

:headache: :sad2:

TxRabbit
08-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Your review sounds like the first of many wonderful descriptions!

But when I try to look at your pictures I get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photos4118/6/27/43/64/14/0/14644327612_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

:headache: :sad2:

:eek: Thank you for posting the problem...I'll have to deal with it tomorrow though...I'll move the photos over to photobucket and edit my post. I was trying to just access the Kodak gallery account I have and I am glad to hear early that it's not working.:o

natalielongstaff
08-27-2007, 02:11 AM
great review so far :)

Minniespal
08-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2

my3disneygirls
08-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Can't wait for more and the pics.

sandybobandy
08-27-2007, 11:00 AM
We aren't eating at ANY place you're about to review, but being a true foodie I'm signing on. Looking forward to it! :)

Tricia1972
08-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I was able to see the pics after copying and pasting the address into my browser.

Great review so far. Thanks!

TigerKat
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Signing up, can't wait to read more and see the pics!

TxRabbit
08-27-2007, 12:46 PM
I switched out the pics...I hope everyone can see them now.:flower3:

If my plan had been followed, the next review would have been of Citrico's. I was SOOOO looking forward to that meal. However, after traveling and swimming, it would have been too much for DS to do the necessary traveling to get from BC to GF and then deal with such a sit down meal. There are plans, and then there's wisdom, which knows when to ditch the plan:teacher:

We received major pixiedust: and an upgrade to Club Level at check-in in combination with being the family of the day...and we made a meal out of what was served in the lounge that night, which happened to be ribs, clam chowder, kalamata olive hummus, pita bread, garlic bread, veggies galore, cheese platter, etc. etc. (not to mention the beers and wine:rolleyes1).

I add this brief note to share with all others who alter plans (even much longed for plans:sad1:) in the interest of what is best for the entire family's happiness. You are not alone. Hopefully, there will be a next time to try the plan again.;)

Next up: Cape May Cafe Character Breakfast...

TigerKat
08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Yep, can see the pics now.:cool1:

memomuffin
08-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for posting! I'm eagerly awaiting more of your rest. reviews!!

TxRabbit
08-27-2007, 01:40 PM
We had an 8:10 am ADR for CMC. We checked in right on time and were seated in short order.

This restaurant is the sister restaurant to the YC Galley, if you were to take a mirror image of the two resorts. So, like the Galley, the restaurant is open to the walkway that links the BC lobby to the common YC/BC areas. Separating the restaurant from the walkway are closed, colorful patio umbrellas spaced like fence posts around the perimeter of the restaurant. You must exit the restaurant to reach the restrooms.

Rows of booths create dividing areas within the restaurant. It feels bigger than the Galley. The theme is the beach. There are several sand castle statues encased in glass in the restaurant that are really cool. The characters are dressed for the beach. The music playing is an upbeat techno-pop type piece of instrumental music that just rumbles with the base beat and adds to a general atmosphere of louder (but not truly LOUD) with excited kids pointing and yelling out that they see Goofy! Minnie! Dale! Chip!:yay: :yay:

The buffet area is in the center of the restaurant and is open to the restaurant. It is a large square shape. One one side of the square are the cold offerings, canteloupe, watermelon, honeydew, red grapes, pineapple, bagels, smoked salmon, other bagel toppings, maybe cereal even? Two other sides of the square are mirror images with the same hot breakfast offerings, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, asparagus, cheese blintz, etc. The last side of the square has all the bread products, Mickey waffles, breakfast pizza, and many different danishes and breads.

Close to the podium/entrance is a separate counter area where there is a granola bar. There is yogurt is various flavors, with granola, raisins, cut strawberries, and many other offerings that could be used to create some sort of yogurt based parfait.

Here's what meat lover DS ate:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2393.jpg
From the syrup clockwise, chocolate croissant, breakfast pizza, bacon, Mickey waffle, and sausage in the middle. The cup of strawberries on the side looked to have been sprinkled with sugar and stirred so that they were more of a topping than cut strawberries. I found them over with the granola. Note: there are packs of crayons on the tables. The white table covers are big pieces of paper that you can draw on.

Here's my first plate:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2399.jpg
Fruit, cheese blintz, asparagus, and potatoes.

The sausage is the big, fat kind, that is best if you get one that looks a little over cooked. I prefer spicy sausage...this wasn't, but DS liked it.

The bacon on the buffet was generally floppy. I asked our server if we could possibly get some that was crispy and she brought me a nice plate of crispy bacon, which was very good.

The fruit was fabulous, ripe but not grainy...and the pineapple was fantastic! The asparagus was very good. The potatoes were cooked with some onion and were just a little salty, but not too bad.

The cheese blintz was heavenly...it had a chocolate sauce with sliced bananas on it that was melt in your mouth good. (now picture Homer Simpson...Ahhhhhgggggggg...cheeeeese blintz).

The chocolate croissant was tasty...the chocolate was dark and the pastry was light and flaky.

I like well done eggs, no wetness in my scrambled eggs, so I didn't get any eggs. The breakfast pizza looked good, but when I tried a bite from DS plate, it was cold and wasn't very tasty cold.

The characters at CMC are WONDERFUL! However, there could be some frustration here, if you are in a hurry. Unlike Crystal Palace, the seating here seemed much more random, not totally filling out a section and then moving on to another area, etc. I don't know if this is unusual or the norm, but this caused the characters to keep coming around to be sure to get to all the tables. If you are willing to have a relaxed meal, you could see the characters multiple times as they keep coming around, which happened for us with Goofy and Minnie:thumbsup2. The second time Minnie came around, she peaked over DHs shoulder at the paper:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2401.jpg

She leaned over and kissed DSs head and then gave him a big hug:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2397.jpg

and Goofy started tickling and generally teasing DS:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2404.jpg

I guess with the autograph book signing and formal posing for pics out of the way, the characters are more able to just interact and have fun, which we thoroughly enjoyed.:banana:

However, we were never able to see Chip because he just couldn't get around to our section.:sad1: We weren't in a big hurry because we were headed to DTD and the Lego store after breakfast, but I think Chip went for a break and it was just time to go.

I love character meals, so I would definitely recommend this buffet. It has all the ingredients of a good character meal, decent enough food, with enough choice for everyone, and a few select items that are just mouth watering good (Ahhhhgggg cheeeeese blintz...pineapple), and really good character interaction, which is the most important thing at a character meal.

John's Mom
08-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Enjoying your reviews. Thanks for posting.

TxRabbit
08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
We finally had walked off our buffet breakfast and headed over to Wolfgang Puck Express for lunch at about 1:30 pm. We were at the marketplace location which is very near the bus stop area of the Marketplace side.

We were the only people in line. Few people were in the restaurant. There are only 4 or 6 indoor tables in the air conditioning. However, there is a large fully covered patio area with many tables under the whirling ceiling fans. Even in the afternoon heat, the patio was very pleasant. The a/c was actually a little too cold. Inside, it is an open kitchen. The closest restrooms are around the corner, down the way, and right at the entrance to the DTD Marketplace from the bus stop area.

After you order, they give you a plastic number tent to place on your table. A server will bring you your meal. The fountain drinks are self service, which translates into all the refills you can drink, which we found to be nonexistent in the park CS locations. I don't drink soda and prefer unsweetened iced tea. WPE has fantastic Mango flavored unsweetened iced tea. I drank a ton of it. At the time we were there, there was a dedicated worker keeping the patio clean and offering to refill drinks for guests on the patio.

DH ordered BBQ Chicken Salad - Sliced pan roasted chicken breast tossed in sweet and tangy bbq sauce over romaine lettuce, tomato, red onions, and cucumbers with Ranch dressing. The dressing was served on the side. They give you a large 1/2 cup portion. If you are watching your calories, you can use very little dressing because the sauce on the chicken also helps to coat and flavor the salad.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2426.jpg

I ordered Young Spinach Salad - Fresh baby spinach with Granny Smith apples, radicchio, gorgonzola cheese, caramelized pecans and sherry vinaigrette. At first, the CM thought that they were out of spinach. I asked if they could make the same salad and use mixed greens. He went to go check and found out that they did indeed have spinach.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2425.jpg

Both of these salads are generous entree sized salads served on dinner plates and piled high in the mountain, pile it high style that is common with entree salads. Both were excellent. DH really enjoyed his. The dressing on mine was perfect. Everything was well dressed but there wasn't a puddle of dressing on my plate. There was a generous amount of the caramelized pecans and they were soooo tasty. The gorgonzola cheese and tart apples were a classic match with the spinach. I raved about it so much, DH ordered it again later, as you'll see. Both salads are definitely split worthy for an even lighter lunch, especially before a large planned dinner meal.

DS had Linguini with tomato sauce, which I don't see on the child's menu here on the Dis.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2427.jpg

The pasta was a perfect al dente. The tomato sauce was fresh. It was a generous portion. I don't think DS could finish it, despite his love for pasta.

We all were given the option of prepackaged chocolate chip cookie, prepackaged brownie, or creme brulee for dessert. DS claimed to not want dessert, so we ordered him the cookie to save for later. We took the cookie with us to the table. DH and I had the creme brulee which was delivered with our ordered meal.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2424.jpg

The creme brulee was very tasty. We are not experts on this dish so we thought it was excellent. There was a kind of torched sugar crust on the top with the strawberry and the custard underneath was firm and yet sooo, sooo creamy. Where the torched sugar was a little too dark, it did taste slightly burnt, however, these bites were few and the hard sugar was easy to peel off the top for them. By far, the creme brulee is THE dessert to pick here. Because we had so many snacks, we didn't even eat the cookie until we got home from our vacation. I took one bite and decided it wasn't worth the calories. Definitely get the creme brulee.

KatGarcia
08-27-2007, 09:29 PM
GREAT reviews! Looking fwd to the rest!

DisneyJenn18
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
yummm, those salads look awesome! I'm hooked....

waiting for more pleaseeee...

popcorn::

natalielongstaff
08-28-2007, 06:23 AM
photos are great :thumbsup2

coasterfreak
08-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Great reviews :cool1:

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
We stopped in Goofy's to grab some snacks to eat later. We were still too full from lunch, but I had read so much about this place...I had to take my DH who has a HUGE sweet tooth...

There were many bins of bulk candy. I think I noticed that it was all the same price per quarter pound, which I think was $2.99, about $11.99 a pound?:confused3 Then there were the confections...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2432.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2431.jpg

DS and I each picked something from the case. Mine was the toffee slab (huge) and his was a big peanut butter ball over peanuts and covered in chocolate (also huge). DH had fun with the make your own. He picked the peanut butter filled oreo cookie (which is about 3-4 inches in diameter), dipped in dark chocolate, covered in broken Reese's peanut butter cups, and drizzled with caramel. Yeow. It was one sweet thang.

Basically, you get to pick a base, a dip, and up to two toppings. There is much to choose from. I don't have the sheet available right now, but if you really want to know, I could add the choices.

You get to watch your creation being made. The lady was artist.:artist: She was exact and meticulous. She will dip your choice to the fullest extent. She will make sure that your topping fully covers every inch of your choice. And she will take her time and really make a well designed drizzle. It was fun to watch and made your mouth water in anticpation.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2433.jpg

The final creation:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2434.jpg

I highly recommend Goofy's. All our selections qualified as one snack credit each. Even if you can't eat it right away, just take it with you...you will be so glad you did.:thumbsup2

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Writing about snacks made me realize that I forgot our evening snack from the night before.:scared1:

First we went over to Beaches and Cream to see about getting some ice cream. Poor, poor selection for a snack credit. I had heard RAVES about the Gelato in the Marketplace so I steered the family over there. DH wasn't thrilled with the thought because he was picturing an Italian ice type thing. No no no. It isn't ice cream, it isn't sorbet, it isn't sherbert. But it IS a frozen dessert that is not heavy or thick and yet soooo creamy. Okay, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2448.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2449.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2450.jpg

Stracciatella is a kind of chocolate chip. I asked how the flavors rotate and the CM said that they keep the same flavors for one month and then they generally switch out one or two at a time, and keep those for a month, etc.

DS had chocolate. DH had stracciatella. I had mango. They were all FANTASTIC. We went back for more on different days. The large size does qualify for a snack credit. I wish it were a bigger large size:rolleyes1. I don't know that I would go out of my way for it...however, if you are at all in the vicinity, it is definitely worth a stop, if you like tasty frozen treats.

momofdbsdc
08-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Great reviews and photos! Thanks for sharing!!!!:goodvibes

YayDisney!
08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Awesome review!! I'm so loving the look of that gelato! I may take a stroll that way in December...

:mickeybar

MsPlutoNJ
08-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Basically, you get to pick a base, a dip, and up to two toppings. There is much to choose from. :thumbsup2

No wonder Goofy is always so happy. I am definately going here in November. In fact, I may have every meal here. Yummy!

Keep it coming, I'm hooked.

Prinny27
08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Excellent reviews! Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup2

curiouser
08-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the CMC review!! :thumbsup2 We're considering breakfast there for our upcoming trip and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it and that they had smoked salmon - yum!!

momtoccc
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
These are great = looking forward to more! popcorn::

jtnsami
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
YUMMY reviews. Subscribing

ciera321
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm really enjoying your reviews and pictures - can't wait for more !!! :goodvibes

honeybee213
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Great reviews. I like hearing about places that not everyone goes to. And that gelato looks wonderful.

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!:goodvibes

I am sorry to say that I have no pics of our food from Hurricane Hannah's.:sad2: Ah well.

DH and I were still quite full come dinner time...we were able to satisfy our hunger (and thirst:rolleyes1) from the consiege lounge...DS on the other hand, hasn't developed the unfortunate art of stuffing himself, so he was hungry for some real food. We were tired from our day and relaxing in the room...so I just ran down to HH to pick up food for DS.

HH is the pool side counter service at YC/BC. It is right off of the walkway that goes around the lake. There is only outdoor seating, but it is a nice mostly shaded area under large trees and patio table umbrellas. It would be easy to take your food with you and find any of the numerous little hide aways to sit at, like the swings on the beach, the beach lounge chairs, the pool area, of course, etc etc. There are two ordering areas here, one for the Grill and one for drinks (ice cream, too, I think) only. The Grill side closes at 8 pm regardless of how late SAB is open. No comment on bird activity because we didn't actually eat here. The restrooms are on either side of the actual building that houses HH. The men on the walkway side, the women on the pool side. Watch out, SAB users use these restrooms, especially the ladies side, and the floor can be a might slippery.

I ordered the chicken tender kids meal for DS. It would normally be accompanied by two sides but because I substituted chips (Baked Lays), no other side and apparently no dessert either, because I substituted.:confused3 Whatever. A small bottled water for the drink. The kids meal came with a small bucket and shovel, which was fun to use later at SAB.

There were two very large chicken tenders, real white meat chicken, that had been battered and fried in a southern fried chicken style. DH thought they were tasty, but DS hated them. He was expecting something more like chicken nuggets.:eek: The tenders were too crispy for him. He didn't like the "crust" and he didn't care for the way the chicken looked when you peeled the crust off. He did manage to eat one because he was so hungry...but then the request came for something else, please?

Soooooo, I headed back down to HH to pick up an adult cheeseburger meal, which came with chips. I felt like DS needed some fruit now, because he already had one bag of chips, and so I subbed grapes for the chips, and they gave me two portions of grapes. Mickey bar for dessert. Diet Coke to give to DH. DS is a water only kid.

The cheeseburger was fine, nothing special. It satisfied the need for a burger. It came open faced with a big slice of tomato and a crispy piece of green leaf lettuce. Condiments were at a self service area. In addition to typical mustard and ketchup, there was also several different sauces (BBQ, honey mustard, etc.), presumably for the chicken tenders. The grapes were red, fresh, firm, and sweet. The Mickey bar is vanilla ice cream in the shape of a Mickey head dipped in chocolate. Tasty.

Sorry about the lack of pics for this one, it was a kind of nothing meal...up next Pinocchio's Village Haus...

Bashful in TN
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Loving the reviews and pics. Can't wait for more!

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
It's MK am EMH...and are we going to be there by 8:00 am this trip? YES, WE ARE!:cool1: DH and I were not hungry that early in the am. DH grabbed a latte from the lounge. DS isn't much for breakfast either, so maybe he had a donut from the lounge. We got a lot accomplished that morning so we were READY for lunch.

My plans had Pinocchio's Village Haus opening at 10:30 am, nope 11:00 am. Okay, we rode IASM, got FP for Peter Pan, and saw that some people were getting let in at 10:50 am, so we also entered the restaurant and WAITED. Some people were already grabbing the coveted seats that overlook the IASM ride. They overlook the boarding/launch area. Personally, these did not look appealing to me, so we just kept walking to get in line for the cashiers. The cashiers finally come out, get their cash drawers situated, check to make sure that they have someone to serve behind them and finally open the place up.

Meanwhile, I see what I think is the best seat in the house. DH said someone else must have thought the same because they were headed right for it and were quite disappointed to see that I had sent DH and DS over there to snag it. I could be giving away a big secret here...but that's what these boards are all about right?:love:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2533.jpg

This sweet big booth is tucked away on the bottom floor on the far right side of the restaurant, this is to the right as you are looking at the food ordering area. Obviously, surrounded by windows, it is one of the few bright spots in this restaurant which is largely a dark place. As the seating capacity 400 sign attests to, this restaurant sprawls all over with different rooms and spaces trying to find a way to deaden the noisiness that it becomes when filled to capacity. I saw stairs, and I have read about there being second floor seating. I did not go there. I am a big believer in using the meals to try to at least feel like we are getting a break from the crowds and so this booth delivered. Bonus, it is also nearest to the exit that you have to take in order to get to the restrooms which are outside the entrance doors on the far right side of the restaurant.

Back to ordering. The CM was efficient, yet friendly. She asked if I was using the meal plan, yes, and who would I be ordering for today? 2A 1C, and may she see my card please?, which she studied and then handed back. Order the child meal first, which was Macaroni & Cheese - All meals include choice of two side items: grapes, carrot sticks, or applesauce and choice of: 1% milk, small bottled water, or apple juice. French fries and soda available upon request. With grapes, carrots, bottled water. NO DESSERT.:confused3

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2529.jpg

DH ordered #5 Italian Sub Sandwich - Capicola, ham, salami, Mortadella, Provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and red onions on a Tuscan roll, served with chips (Baked Lays). I picked the Cannoli for that dessert choice.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2530.jpg

I ordered #4 Grilled Turkey & Bacon Panini - Smoked turkey, bacon, roasted red peppers, tomato and basil on multi-grain bread, served with chips. I picked the Chocolate Cake for this dessert choice because DS loves chocolate.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2531.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2532.jpg

The sandwiches were very good. DH really enjoyed his. The grilled turkey is made with a deli-quality turkey, not sliced, roasted but not pressed together packaged, the bacon was a little floppy for eating separately, but fine for the sandwich, the red peppers and fresh basil leaf were a tasty addition, and the multi-grain bread was VERY good. I like hearty bread. I hate fluffy white, stick in your teeth bread, and this was good yummy bread. There was enough meat on our sandwiches to give meat lovin' DS some slices. The pepperoncini served with the Italian sub was a hot one. YUM. Save something to eat after it because you'll need help to cool off your mouth.

The Mac and Cheese for the kids meal was not good. The noodles are overcooked, the sauce is thick and gloppy, the flavor is bland. I was impressed that DS hate about half of it before he declared that it wasn't nearly as good as the mac and cheese at Sweet Tomatoes (his favorite). We never ordered it again.

We all split all the sides, so we all could get some fruit, veggies, and chips.

The chocolate cake had a huge mountain of frosting on it. The part that looks brown in the picture? That's all frosting, about 1 inch tall. The frosting was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. It was like a cross between chocolate mousse and fudge. DS LOVED it. The cake itself was fudgy, not light, not airy, it was just this side of a brownie. The kind of cake that you have to work to get off the fork. It was too much for me.

The cannoli must be made on premises, because it was not prepackaged. It was thick pastry stuffed with creamy riccotta cheese with chocolate chips stuck to the ends and freshly sprinkled with powdered sugar just before serving. It is a cold dessert. It was quite tasty, although it fell apart easily as you bit it, so beware if you're sharing, it gets pretty messy.

We really relaxed over this meal, believe it or not. I think we hung out for about one hour. It was nice to SIT.;) The line was crazy long quickly on this am EMH morning. It was like everyone was hungry early, so plan accordingly. I was first in line and that was a good thing, because when I turned around, I would not be exaggerating to say the lines were at least 15 people deep, but I can't say for certain whether people understood that there were two lines per cashier, one on the left and one on the right.:confused3 As we made our way back through the restaurant to exit closest to Peter Pan, I noticed that the restaurant was getting quite full and quite loud. The noise was definitely not as noticeable over on the far right of the restaurant.

Stay tuned for Wolfgang Puck Cafe lunch...

swankybeth
08-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Great reviews, great pics. Thanks for posting, looking forward to more. PS, your DS is adorable! :)

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks again everyone for the positive feedback. And thanks, Swankybeth, I think he's rather adorable myself...but then, I am biased.;) On to the review...

After suffering major, MAJOR disappointment:sad: when we discovered that Goofy's Barnstormer was closed to paint the cars:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: we had been redeeming the day with a first time visit to Disney Quest. So we found ourselves in DTD and hungry in the late afternoon. I now had some unscheduled TS credits due to our Citrico's cancelation, so I called Disney Dining to see what would be our options. Low and behold, nothing in DTD takes same day ADRs, but most will accept walk ups. It was after 3:00 pm, so I thought we had a pretty good chance of getting in somewhere quickly. Wolfgang Puck Express was so good, I wanted to try the Cafe. That, and it was fairly close to DQ.

The dinner menu starts at 4:00 pm, so we were ordering off the lunch menu, which had many dinner selections, so not a problem.

This restaurant is a beautiful setting. The majority of the back of the restaurant are walls of windows overlooking the water of the DTD area. Funky decor lends a fun atmosphere. At this time of day, this restaurant was basically empty, maybe half a dozen tables taken. It was quiet...aaaaahhhh...a very welcome break after the constant noise and stimulation of DQ.:goodvibes We were shown to a wonderful table...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2537.jpg

It's too bad the window view isn't clear. I think it's SSR across the water.

Anyway, the first thing we have to talk about is the bread. Wow. I really like good bread. And this stuff was FANTASTIC. They call it focaccia, and it is brought to the table already cut into wedges in a basket. It's the best focaccia I have ever had!! It was tall and spongy and soft and melted in your mouth and it just soaked up the olive oil that they pour for you to dip the bread. This is not an herbed olive oil, just a wonderful fresh, fruity olive oil. The bread has all the flavor you need. They brought three each of kalamata olive/rosemary focaccia and a garlic (and cheese?) focaccia.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2539.jpg

DH and I ordered salads for appetizers. DH ordered the same spinach salad I had ordered at the Express, Spinach Salad - Made with spinach, radicchio, blue cheese, apples, and caramelized pecans.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2534.jpg

As good as that salad is, I wanted to try something new, so I ordered Mixed Field Greens - Served with Sherry vinaigrette and goat cheese crostini.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2535.jpg

And I finally took a perspective picture to show how big these salads are, keep in mind, these are NOT the entree salads, but the entree salads were piled high like these

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2536.jpg

Again, GREAT salads. That dressing is so good. This appetizer spinach salad had just as many goodies as my entree salad at the Express, but you can see the goodies so much better in this pic. The Mixed Greens had no added goodies, but I was in the mood for something plain so this suited me fine. The goat cheese croistini was fresh, fabulous goat cheese spread on a super crusty, crunchy piece of bread, almost crouton quality was this bread, which was a great complement to the simple salad.

We were told that DS didn't have an appetizer included. WPC only participates in the program and they have their own rules, one of which, is that children DO NOT get an included appetizer on the DDP. Not a problem for us with the bread. But something to note. Also, the waiter needed to take my card in order to ring up our order properly.

DH ordered Mahi Mahi - Served over warm Israeli couscous salad and lemon caper butter.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2541.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2542.jpg

The Mahi Mahi was fresh and cooked well, perfectly flaky and still moist. The cous cous salad was unlike regular cous cous, it was large and firm. There were slices of zuchinni and other summer squash mixed into the cous cous. The greens on top were some sort of herb dressed with olive oil. The red additions are sun dried tomatoes. I had a bite of this, and it was outstanding. Really, really good. It almost made me wish that I had ordered it. I am not sure what the prevailing herb taste was though, and I am not sure that I would have wanted to eat the whole thing.

I ordered Macadamia Nut Crusted Breast of Chicken - Served with papaya marmalade, micro greens salad, and roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2544.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2543.jpg

The chicken was very moist with wonderful crust. I think I expected it to be more nutty in flavor, but my taste buds couldn't discern that. It was a great crunchy crust though. The papaya marmalade was a wonderful addition. The potatoes were yummy. I like mashed potatoes a lot, and these were well done, creamy, not too garlicy, and definitely not too salty.

DS ordered Spaghetti & Meatballs - Spaghetti and meatballs.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2540.jpg

He really enjoyed his meal. These were the fattest speghetti noddles I have ever seen. I thought they might be mushy, but not, they were just the opposite of angel hair pasta, super, duper fat.

When you are seated, the hostess will walk you past the dessert display. Heeeeeeeellloooooooooo. YUUUUUUUM. She will explain how the desserts are made fresh daily and may change daily as well. I think this may be why the desserts are not included on the menu here on the Dis. Anyway, saving room for dessert is one reason why we opted to order salads for our appetizers.

It had to be done. We ordered the Creme Brulee

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2545.jpg

the White Chocolate Cheesecake

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2547.jpg

and the included child's dessert of Make Your Own Sundae Artist's Palette - Vanilla ice cream, chocolate chip cookie, chocolate and caramel sauce and sprinkles.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2546.jpg

It was ALL GOOD!!!! I'm happy just thinking about it. The additional fruit on the creme brulee was nice. The cheesecake was rich and creamy and just the right amount of chocolate added flavor. The artist's palette was a lot of fun for DS.

This was an excellent, excellent meal. I noticed that many items from the dinner menu were included in the lunch menu, for a smaller price, so if you are paying OOP, I would highly recommend doing as we did and eating here right before the change over. Also, just from an atmosphere perspective, this was a relaxing, quiet time to dine. When we left it was almost 5 pm and this place was LOUD. Really LOUD. Here come the cranky, hungry kids and tired, hungry parents. And there aren't any real divisions in the restaurant to hold back the noise level. If you do go at this time, be prepared for what might happen...

That is, we waited and WAITED for the check. Our server had been assigned to his dinner section which was on the other side of the restaurant and so, he was having a hard time getting back to us. He was very apologetic. It's not a big deal, if you don't have a schedule to keep, but if you do, keep this in mind and maybe ask about getting the check cleared out after you ORDER dessert.

Oh, one last tid bit. The Cafe also has the wonderful Mango flavored unsweetened iced tea. Yum. Also, the bread was so fabulous, I really could have just eaten the bread, the salad, and dessert and been a happy camper. I couldn't finish half my meal, it was so heavy, and I didn't want to, because I wanted dessert. Ditto for DH. Just something to keep in mind for the budget conscious. You could easily split a meal here.

Coming up next...a simple snack dinner for DS and breakfast at the Yacht Club Galley...

MickeyNicki
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
From the looks of the pasta I say it is Buccatini (sp)....we love that stuff but it is very hard to find in Naples FL and if you do find it, well it is expensive.

I have my mom ship it from Boston for $1 a bag!

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I'll go ahead and quickly post this now.

As previously mentioned, DS gets hungry at regular intervals, dinner at 4:00 in the afternoon is not sufficient for getting DS through the night. Again, DH and I were quite happy with the offerings in the lounge:thumbsup2, but DS needed something a little more substantial. I thought I would just head down to Hurricane Hannah's again, only to find out that the grill side had just closed down. Bummer.

Without much hope, I head on over to the Beach Club Marketplace, which isn't really a full service CS restaurant...However, it is something of a small grocery store because of the BC Villas. Ah ha:idea:. Lunchables! For a snack credit!:thumbsup2 Works for me! And DS.:yay:

So, if you are in the area, and need a little something for your little DS or DD...you might think about the Marketplace. And for more information about the grocery side of this store, check out my review which I posted on the YC/BC/BCV thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20528028&postcount=2131

dmja716
08-28-2007, 07:42 PM
I am loving your reviews.
I cant wait to eat at Wolfgang Puck Cafe next month!!!

Your pictures are excellent also!!

TxRabbit
08-28-2007, 07:43 PM
From the looks of the pasta I say it is Buccatini (sp)....we love that stuff but it is very hard to find in Naples FL and if you do find it, well it is expensive.

I have my mom ship it from Boston for $1 a bag!

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup2 I'll have to see if I can find that here in Houston. I'm always looking for new noodles to send to school for lunchtime.:goodvibes

dawgfan
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the review.

Schucraig
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Great reviews and pictures! Can't wait for more!:)

PoohFan97
08-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks for sharing your reviews and photos! Thanks, especially, for the pics from WPC. We've been there and plan to go back. We read about the mahi mahi and macadamia chicken; I'm happy to see photos and hear that they're good!

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Writing this review is SOOooo helping the post vacation blues...I am so glad to get your positive feedback. Thanks one and all...on to the review...

Again, I had some TS credits to burn and our schedule was pretty full through the rest of the week. This combined with the fact that CS breakfast doesn't really exist around the YC/BC (not for my meat lovin' DS anyway) made the Yacht Club Galley ideal for a nice breakfast meal. I called the night before to assure that there would be availability, but really, I didn't need to.

When we arrived at the YCG, it was almost empty. I would say that easily half of the guests there were business people. So, again, a quiet, calm meal. Do we sense a trend here?

Although the Galley has a full breakfast menu, we all opted for the buffet.

The buffet area is in a separate room at the Galley. The room itself is rather small and would be cramped if there were more people there. As it was, there was no line, and virtually no one else in the room every time we went up to the buffet.

It has many of the same offerings as the Cape May Cafe. The cold offerings include honeydew, watermelon, canteloupe, red grapes, cottage cheese, yogurt on one side and bagels and all the fixings (including smoked salmon) on the other side. The hot offerings included bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, an "omelet" (scrambled eggs mixed with what would be the filling of an omelet, again, typical, stuff. There were pancakes here that I don't recall seeing at CMC. I also saw oatmeal with several toppings...and I remember seeing this at CMC too.

Here's what DS ate, pretty self explanatory
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2552.jpg

Here's my first plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2553.jpg

Again, pretty self explanatory. The fruit was fresh, ripe, and not overly ripe. The eggs were the omelet eggs with cheese, mushrooms, and maybe something else. The potatoes were different from CMC, fried up with some onion and peppers, and not salty at all. DH didn't care for them, but I liked them. The bacon was crisp. Yay!

Check out the size of the orange juice! Yeow.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2554.jpg

And I really bring this to your attention here, because I learned a lesson at this breakfast. Apparently the orange juice was included in the buffet. We still could have ordered another drink because that oj was technically part of our entree. So, if you want a cappaccino or a smoothie, you could have one with the buffet. Unfortunately, we didn't ask about the coffee until too late. Our server had rung up our order and closed it out and couldn't add the coffee request to it.:sad2:

My second plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2555.jpg
I am really, REALLY picky about my watermelon. I have to admit that everywhere we went that had watermelon, it didn't look good. It looked like grainy watermelon.:eek: I finally broke down and tried some, and was much better than it looked. Not the best, but I could eat it. After the cheese blintz at CMC, I was thrilled to try it here. Not bad. But not nearly as good as CMC. Here, it was offered with stewed apples and raisins...a kind of cinnamony thing going on. Okay. But by comparison...

DH's second plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2556.jpg
The pancakes were good. The syrup is self dispense from a heated coffee like container. Yum.

All in all. Another fine meal. Nothing special, but it certainly got the job done and filled us up for an active morning at Epcot. A calm start to another people filled day in the World.

The server was almost shocked when I said yes, use meal credits. For breakfast, really? Yes, really. As far as getting your money's worth for TS, I understand the reluctance to use credits for breakfast, because it is about half the cost of lunches and dinner. But, I needed to use my credits or lose them, so it made sense for us.

Coming up next...lunches at Yakitori House and Tangierine Cafe...

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I forgot to mention that our breakfast was at 8:00 am. We were ready for some lunch after noon. I knew exactly where to take DS to get one of his favorites...

Yakitori House
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2758-1.jpg

This is a beautiful restaurant...keeping in mind that it is a CS restaurant. A greeter at the door opened it for us and bowed and welcomed us to the restaurant. It is full of light, because all the exterior walls are windows. The ceiling is a cathedral ceiling with a wood treatment on it...very natural feeling inside. And something about the Zen atmosphere just keeps everyone's voices down. There are about 15 tables inside, give or take. The ordering counter is small by comparison and set back slightly from the dining room.

The patio dining also looked very pleasant
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2760-1.jpg
tucked away from the "street side" of Epcot, surrounded by trees and other vegetation, and with a soothing waterfall bordering one side...I love that sound. See those tall rock formations in the back and to the left...it's hard with the shadows. If I hadn't needed a/c so badly, it would have been quite enjoyable to sit outside. The restrooms are accessed through this patio, adjacent to the building.

I ordered DS an adult meal here, because DH and I were splitting our lunch meal at Tangierine Cafe later. DS had Teriyaki Chicken - Chicken thigh served with teriyaki sauce and steamed rice.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2585.jpg

The portions here were large. The teriyaki sauce was very good, not too sweet, as some American ones can be. DS is quite the connoisseur of teriyaki chicken as it is one of his favs...and this was top notch...juicy chicken with lots of sauce to rub the chicken around in before each bite. The rice had to be jasmine rice and it was very good. The little red things on the napkin are ginger shreds. They were on the rice. The adults enjoyed combining the ginger and rice bites.;)

Dessert was Ginger Cake - Sponge cake with ginger flavored icing
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2586.jpg

Sorry about the focus...I asked, and it is the same cake served at Teppanyaki, which we ate at last trip. It was a winner then, and still is. DS pretty much just eats icing or frosting. He enjoyed it...and we enjoyed the moist spongy cake. Very good.

I ordered the iced green tea for the drink...which I drank...and got glasses of ice water DS and DH. The iced green tea looks a lot more potent than it is. It looks very green, but it has a mild taste. Alas, no free refills.:sad1:

And then we sauntered over to Tangierine Cafe...

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I know...we're wacky...but I really wanted to eat here...and I wasn't sure DS would like it...and I knew he would like Japan...whatever...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2767.jpg

Tangierine Cafe has two rooms...one where you order your food...the counter is HUGE and they have all of the menu items on display on one side. They are premade plates wrapped in plastic under the glass counter. So you see exactly what you are going to get. They make your food right in front of you, it is an open kitchen. Inside this room is the majority of indoor seating. If I recall, they were iron chairs and tables.:confused3 The room felt dark.

The second room is very small and is at the entrance to the restaurant from the "street" of Epcot. There are four booths in this room. It is bright and light and there was only one other family there. It was quite secluded feeling, but you could watch the action through the doorways...You guessed it, DH and DS sat there while I ordered
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2588.jpg

I was the only customer there, walked right up and ordered Shawarma Chicken and Lamb Platter - Served with side of hummus, Tabouleh and a Tangierine Couscous salad with fresh Morrocan bread.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2587.jpg

Heeeelllooo shawarma platter!:cool1: This was good. So good. I understand why people rave about this on the boards...because it's GOOD!:thumbsup2 I saw a seasoning packet for shawarma for sale in one of the stores later, which I almost bought, and I noticed that the meat is supposed to marinate for at least one hour. I don't know if it is the marinating process or some sort of tenderizing treatment that they do to the meat, but seriously, the lamb and the chicken are both kind of spongy, for lack of a better word. So the texture is unusual, but not unpleasant...it makes for very tender meat. The flavor is really good...the onions and cilantro? (I can't remember) and sauce are FANTASTIC. DH and I both liked the lamb better than chicken.

The bread was light and fluffy and yummy. I spread the hummus, tasty, on my half of the bread. Oh...from left to right across the top of the plate...hummus, tabouleh, and couscous salad. The tabouleh is more traditional from my understanding of the salad...the parsley is the main ingredient, not the grain...it is fresh and flavorful...I was happy to split it, because I don't think I would want to eat that much of it. The couscous salad was the best side. It had chickpeas (aka garbonzo beans) and peppers? (I can't remember all the ingredients) but the dressing was so good. It was perfect on a hot day. I really liked it and was sorry to have to split it...ditto for DH. We could have asked for two couscous servings and no tabouleh, although it was all good really, and I recommend you try them all to see what you like best.

Baklava was the only dessert option on the DDP, which was fine, I didn't really look at the other offerings, so I don't know what we may have missed. It was sticky and sweet, just like most other baklava I have ever tried. It was fine to split. My sweet tooth isn't that big and the platter was. DH and I both left feeling satisfied and not stuffed.

DH and I can eat fast:rolleyes1 so it wasn't long before we were on our way again...

There is an outside patio to the right of the building as you look at it from the street. The patio is covered with ceiling fans, if I remember correctly. It would be a nice place to sit and people watch if it weren't so hot outside.

Coming up next is San Angel Inn dinner...

TigerKat
08-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Really enjoying your reviews! Can't wait for our first time at Wolfgang Puck's!:thumbsup2

fernifamily
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Great Reviews. We are planning to go in April and will definetly to some character meals.

irongirlof12
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks for the great tips on how to get the best from DDP, really appreciated.

Superb photo's

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Our ADRs were for 6:25 pm. We arrived slightly early and were seated quickly. The restaurant was quite busy and walk up diners were being turned away.

This is quite a controversial restaurant. You read so many conflicting opinions about San Angel Inn. I was looking forward to all our ADRs and this one was no exception. I was excited to eat here, so let's just say that I began the evening with a positive attitude...and NOTHING happened to change it...not even somewhat Grumpy, our server.

I would associate these menu offerings more with a Southwestern style grill Mexican food, think Sante Fe Mex, AZ Mex, lime, cilantro, rice, black beans, extensive use of a grill.

The atmosphere here is AMAZING. And yes, it is dark. Very dark. Like night time dark. This is purposeful. It is wonderful. I have had the privelege of eating in similar settings outside, at night, in Cabo San Lucas and San Antonio (I know, I know, Texas, not Mexico, but still...have you been there? Mexican influence is huge.). This atmosphere is well recreated. You could hardly read your menu, let alone see your food, there either. Honestly, I could see my food better AFTER I took a picture and saw the review on my camera.:laughing:

The tables ARE close together. But I did not find this problematic. The tables were aligned point to point, like diamonds, not like a grid, if that makes sense, so line of sight and chair room helped with table spacing. I could see the wider pathways for the servers. They were strategic and generally, every table bordered a pathway on at least one side, if not two. So, more space there.

The restaurant is like a sunken dining room. You step down into it from the level that the rest of Mexico is. There is a wall that separates the restaurant from the market area. There are lights strung across the market area, lamp posts on the columns of the wall, some random wall sconces. You have one gas burning lamp for light on your table. Once the chips and dip come out, you literally can't see half the table. How about some pictures?

Here's the view of the market place from the restaurant. This is the wall..
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2623.jpg

Notice the men in matching blue jackets...that's the band that came out and played for a while. Very fun. I liked the music. I used to live in San Antonio, and it totally made me think of the Riverwalk area. College days...good times.

The wall continues around
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2625.jpg

In the opposite direction of the marketplace is the backdrop...an amazing mural of a volcano scene.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2620.jpg

See, it's dark and the tables are close. I think I was blinding people with my flash...here is the Kodak Software adjusted picture
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2620b.jpg

Again, more details...unadjusted
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2622.jpg

and ADJUSTED
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2622b.jpg

Something about being in the dark translated into a more quiet restaurant, despite the table proximity and busy-ness.

Here are the chips and salsa:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2614.jpg
The chips were fresh and the salsa was okay. I can be a salsa snob. I couldn't tell if this was fresh made salsa, or if was from a jar, honestly. It had good flavor, and was a high quality jarred salsa, if jarred, but I really couldn't tell if it had been "cooked" like jarred salsa is, or if it was fresh. Regardless, it has some heat, the build in your mouth kind, which I enjoyed, but it wasn't hot by any means.

These were THE BEST
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2617.jpg
One Frozen Margarita - Lime, Strawberry, Mango or Fiesta Mix. DH had lime. And one Margarita San Angel Inn - Tequila Sauza Gold, and triple sec.

After good reviews of the Ceviche, I wanted to order it, but was talked out of it by our server. He said it was raw seafood and seemed to really want to steer me clear of it. So I ordered the Sopa Azteca - Traditional tortilla soup with avocado, cheese and pasilla pepper

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2619.jpg

which was okay. I could taste the fresh avocado in it. I love avocado. I've had too many amazing tortilla soups to be impressed with this, but I was caught off guard by the server's reluctance to just accept my original order.:confused3

DH ordered the Nachos - Border creation of tortilla chips topped with red sauce, melted cheese, chorizo (Mexican sausage), jalapenos, tomatoes and sour cream

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2616.jpg

in part because he thought that DS might enjoy it. And here AGAIN, we find that an appetizer is not included in the DDP for a child.:confused: The chips are buried underneath the toppings and you really have to work to separate the chips from all the cheeeeeese. These were tasty. Not normal, mind, but what is there to complain about super cheesy, spruced up chips?

DH and I both ordered Combinacion Cozumel - Grilled beef tenderloin, marinated shrimp and roasted chayote served with spicy ranchero sauce, poblano pepper mashed potatoes and grilled veggies.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2630.jpg

We both ordered the tenderloin medium. It was perfectly pink on the inside and warm throughout...an absolutely perfect medium. The meat almost melted in your mouth. The presentation included a fold over corn tortilla that was fully immersed in the ranchero sauce and formed a bed of sorts for the meat. I ate a bite of the tortilla, didn't care for it, and wondered if it was just there to help control the spread of the plated sauce. The shrimp were very good. Tender, not tough. I've read complaints of metallic tasting shrimp...fortunately, not this night. The potatoes were a little spicy, pretty tasty. The vegetables that were actually grilled, the red pepper and the summer squash of some sort (see the grill marks) were great. I wish that I just had more of those and could skip what had to be the frozen veggie mix also added to the plate.

DS ordered Mahi Mahi - Grilled fillet of mahi mahi served with white rice, mixed veggies, and fresh fruit cocktail
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2629.jpg
DS LOVES salmon. He also likes tuna and red river trout. He likes fish with flavor. He tried DHs Mahi Mahi for the first time at WPC and liked it. The other child's menu choices looked like losers to me, and I knew that I would at least like the Mahi Mahi if DS didn't, and I could trade meat for fish, or at least we all could have some surf and turf between the 3 of us. The Mahi Mahi was cooked well. It was fully cooked and still moist, but seemed to lack any added seasonings, unless my taste buds were overwhelmed with my own. This fish was quite plain, not bland, just plain, getting most of it's flavor from the being grilled. It would be a sad dish on it's own, but was just fine when the turf was added.:thumbsup2

DH and I ordered the Flan de Vainilla: vanilla custard in syrup, topped with roasted almonds
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2631.jpg
which was weird. I don't know about those almonds on top...it did not add a pleasing crunch for me. I flicked them off and just ate the custard, which was okay. If you have had the coconut flan at CP, then you have eaten better flan than this at SAI. That said, it wasn't horrible, just not the best. In retrospect, and looking at the menus, I would ask for a smoothie instead, which I suppose I could have gotten anyway, according to our server at YCG because we paid OOP for the margaritas.

DS had the vanilla ice cream, which was like vanilla bean ice cream. It was tasty. It would have been a better finish to our meal for DH and I.

What can I say? I thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience here at SAI. And I would not hesitate to come here again. The atmosphere is wonderful. It is an excellent hideaway, step into another dimension kind of place and I'd eat my entree again any day of the week, but only grilled veggies please.

dmja716
08-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Once again, loving your reviews!!
I have a question, how did you remember everything with such detail???
I cannot wait to come home and do a dining report, but I'm so nervous I will forget so much.

bop28
08-29-2007, 02:08 PM
You're doing great! What's up next??? ;)

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Once again, loving your reviews!!
I have a question, how did you remember everything with such detail???
I cannot wait to come home and do a dining report, but I'm so nervous I will forget so much.

Thank you!:goodvibes

The pictures really help. They are like a diary really. My new 2 GB memory card can hold 2641 pics!:thumbsup2 So I feel quite picture happy, compared to my old 256 MB memory card. And I kept a journal of sorts. I had a little mini composition book (party favor size) that I wrote short notes in each evening as DH and I sat on our balcony and enjoyed our stash from the lounge:rolleyes1 after DS went to bed. I was hoping it would be helpful for that scrapbook that I intend to do someday.:rolleyes: And I really like food. Too much. LOL! And we really had a more relaxing trip...we really took our time this time around. We really wanted that vacation feeling, not that rushed must do this and that scheduled feeling. Eating gave us a break and so I really paid attn to everything, because I had the time to do so.

And, as I do this review, I have three tabs going, the first is the Dis reply I am writing, the second is Photobucket to add the pics, and the third is the Complete List of Restaurants here on the Dis, which I use to copy and paste the menu items we ordered, which is fairly easy to remember as I look at the pictures.:rotfl:

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
You're doing great! What's up next??? ;)

Sci-Fi Drive-In!

branv
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Great reviews! We weren't considering Wolfgang, but now I may have to give it a second look.

As a fellow Texan I can attest to the OP's statements - we have tons and tons and TONS of very authentic Mexican restaurants here. ;)

After good reviews of the Ceviche, I wanted to order it, but was talked out of it by our server. He said it was raw seafood and seemed to really want to steer me clear of it.

That's weird, I mean what did he mean by warning you it was raw? If he meant you wouldn't like it b/c it's raw texture wise, that's wrong b/c the seafood is "cooked"...just by citric acid vs. traditional heating methods. Aren't the servers all from Mexico, shouldn't he have understood that? Or maybe he was trying to imply that the fish is questionable safety wise, since the citric acid doesn't get rid of bacteria like real cooking does? Now I'm wondering :scared1:

TxRabbit
08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Great reviews! We weren't considering Wolfgang, but now I may have to give it a second look.

As a fellow Texan I can attest to the OP's statements - we have tons and tons and TONS of very authentic Mexican restaurants here. ;)

That's weird, I mean what did he mean by warning you it was raw? If he meant you wouldn't like it b/c it's raw texture wise, that's wrong b/c the seafood is "cooked"...just by citric acid vs. traditional heating methods. Aren't the servers all from Mexico, shouldn't he have understood that? Or maybe he was trying to imply that the fish is questionable safety wise, since the citric acid doesn't get rid of bacteria like real cooking does? Now I'm wondering :scared1:

It WAS weird...I even said to him, well, it's cooked by the lime juice, right? I knew what I was talking about...but I think he just saw my fair skinned family and judged me by it. Honestly, I called our server Grumpy, but he seemed quite pleasant to the Latin lady and the family at the table next door...I try not to focus on these things...it wrecks the mood, you know? And it wasn't that he was rude, he just wasn't very friendly or personable, just kind of Grumpy. I don't think there's a question of safety...really...the family next door ordered the dish, no problem. I say, WHATEVER.

saffymom
08-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Great reviews and pics! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing.

TxRabbit
08-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Our breakfast this morning was another lounge grab and go, so we were ready for our 1:30 pm ADRs a little early...so we checked in at 1:00 pm. This place was NOT BUSY. They were accepting walk ins. And the wait seemed reasonable to me...I heard 15-20 minutes...anyway, no problem checking in early on this day.

I will note this: this day is Thursday, a recommended day for MGM, and the day following MGM's pm EMH....could be relevent.

This restaurant attempts to recreate a 50s style drive-in theater. The "tables" are actually cars...there is a blue one that sits outside the restaurant that seems to be a popular picture opportunity...with the cars having two or three rows of bench seating with a type of countertop for the bench providing your table surface. The benches seat two comfortably and three young kids fairly comfortably and something of a squeeze for other groups of three. All the cars face a large movie screen which plays B-grade sci fi, horror-ish film trailers, 50s odd ball news clips, cartoons, and commercials advertising drive-in services (refreshment bar, how to use the speakers, etc.). All the benches in the cars also face forward, so everyone has a front facing view of the screen. I did note that there were at least two, but maybe only two, cars that were actually normal tables with chairs that rang the length of the car, so that everyone at the table actually faced each other and had a sideways look at the screen. These two table cars were in the very middle of the theater. There were other umbrella covered patio style tables in the far back of the room.

This is not a restaurant condusive to conversation. So it is a really quiet restaurant, excepting the obvious shouting and screams coming from the speakers because a 50 foot woman is terrorizing some city. We noticed that the movie loop started over again just as we were being served dessert. And I have to mention...DS found some of the clips rather disturbing...he is somewhat sensitive this way...he has seen some violent-ish cartoons on WB Saturday am...but the fact that what was on the screen was live action was somewhat bothersome to him. When you are an adult and somewhat learned in the ways of movies and fake screaming, it's hard to remember that those screams (and there are a lot of them) can be somewhat real to a child. It wasn't a deal breaker...it didn't give him nightmares later...just something to note...I am not actually sure that I would chose to come here with older toddlers/children that are more aware and alert and yet clueless as to the difference between movie/entertainment and reality.

I did not take pictures of the theater itself, as I felt that would be rude, and might detract from other's experience there. The picture here on the Dis is a good one. Note that the ambiance of the restaurant does not begin until you come around from what could be described as the backstage area, which is what the podium area feels like, because you are viewing all the staging props for the restaurant from the wrong side.

Oh...if you are wondering...I did see a plethora of high chairs available under the big screen...

We are a party of three...we were asked if we would like one or two rows...we weren't sure...we were directed to the aforementioned car outside to test our preference...my almost 6'1" DH, my large framed, almost 5'8" self, and DS6 were a tight fit, but workable...so we chose to enjoy the theater together and in one row.

We were shown to the front bench seat in a car that was front and center. At first, I thought this was :thumbsup2 but then I realized that this is something of a strain on the neck after a while. It would actually be nicer to be in the second row of cars.

Our car was seated in short order and our waiter treated our car as one party. He took all our drink orders at the same time, brought them, took all our entree orders, etc. It was efficient and welcome. He asked if we were using the DDP today...and explained our options, the most pertinent being...the adults can have a milkshake for their beverage...the children can have a milkshake for their beverage if they also do not order a separate dessert.

The menus are rather difficult to read. Your only light is a dim one coming from under the dash.

Needless to say...after reading the Dis...we had to have Milk Shakes - Choice of Chocolate, Strawberry, or Oreo Cookie ice cream. Our car won a Dream, and we all got a bag of Cracker Jacks with our drinks..

Oreo Cookie for DH with ground up oreos on the top and in the middle
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2686.jpg

Chocolate for DS, yes, it's the same size we got...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2688.jpg

Strawberry for me
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2687.jpg

They were ALL good.

We ordered appetizers. Spinach & Artichoke Dip - A blend of mozzarella, Swiss, and asiago cheeses, spinach, and artichokes served with corn tortilla chips YUM YUM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2689.jpg

and a Salad - with ranch dressing and tomatoes.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2690.jpg

We also ordered the salad for the child's meal. We had thought that we would share the dip and each get a salad, that is DH and myself...we do like our salads, obviously, but the child's salad came with his meal and not before. The dip was EXCELLENT. The salad was BAD. Looking over the menu again, and seeing it in the light of day, I wish we had just been really bad and ordered the onion rings...Ah well.

DH and I each ordered Angus Chuck Burger - Flame-broiled beef patty topped with your choice of Cheddar or Swiss cheese, sauteed onions, mushroom, or crispy bacon and served with a choice of cucumber-melon salad or French fries. We both picked fries. I opted for Swiss, onion, mushroom, AND bacon...THE WORKS...I think DH just had Cheddar and bacon. I only took a pic of mine
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2691.jpg

DS had a Kid's Pick with a cheeseburger, garden salad appetizer, and fries
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2692.jpg

Okay...Folks, there is a REASON why everyone talks about SPLITTING the burger here at Sci Fi. Its HUGE! It is excellent. This is the kind of tasty burger served in a steakhouse that you never want to order because you want to eat steak in a steakhouse. It's the juicy, large patty and the fluffy, soft bun. It's the generous cheese falling over the burger...oh so tasty...you will never find this in any fast food joint kind of burger. It was the only burger we ate on this trip (DH and I) and it was OUTSTANDING. We were really hungry...we didn't really have much breakfast...it was that really empty stomach, rumbling kind of hunger...and neither one of us could finish the burger without feeling just overly stuffed...because do not get me wrong...if need be...we COULD have done it...but we did want some dessert...

DH got Hot Fudge Sundae - A Sci-Fi Sundae Spectacular! because he thought it sounded the least heavy...and he was getting pretty full...he's pointing to where the cherry on top was before he plucked it off before I could snap a pic
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2694.jpg

and I ordered Cheesecake - With caramel sauce and treats...because DS loves cheesecake and he wasn't getting his own...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2693.jpg

The Sundae was tasty. The cheesecake was NOT. I didn't like it. I think the WPC cheesecake was sooo good, there was no way this was going to compare. First, it was like the crust went all around the edges of this mini...which was too much crust for the size of the cheesecake...the cracker jacks on the plate might have been more fun if we hadn't gotten a bag earlier...and these were a little chewy...like they had been sitting out too long...DS picked out all the M&M's on the plate and enjoyed those.

We were the only ones in our car that ordered dessert...we were also the only ones on the DDP. With that, our car became out of sync and so our server took a while getting us the check. The other parties had left already. It was a bit frustrating because we were ready to hit the park and walk off some lunch...I would try to clear out the check at the same time as the other car members in the future, even if it meant paying while we were eating dessert.

We really wished that we had listened to all the advice here on the boards and just split the adult meal...DH and I. We left this one a little too full. The problem was that we would then end up with 1 lone TS credit and we weren't sure what we would do with it, so we just decided to use it here...I think I would just split and then try my luck at Beaches and Cream or ESPN (since we were staying at the BC).

Coming up next...Mickey's Backyard BBQ!

mt mommy
08-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Great reviews. I am a HUGE fan of WPC too!! The brownies for dessert are tasty on the go. :)

memomuffin
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
jmsadams,
Wow, I really enjoy reading your reviews! The pictures, the details, the feeling behind the food - I just love it so thank you.
I also am psyched that you enjoyed San Angel Inn as much as you did b/c I have ADR's there for the first night of our vacation. I kept hemming and hawing if I should keep them or not seeing all the iffy reviews. Not only am I going to keep them, I really looking forward to them!!
Thanks so much!

Dis Ohana
08-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Excellent reviews and pictures! I love how you not only describe what you're eating, but also the ambience of the restaurant. This is stuff I want to know!
I have never seen pictures of Yakitori House, what a beautiful restaurant. Is this place slated as part of the Teppanyaki remodel?

irongirlof12
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
keep it coming :thumbsup2 I am hooked :yay:

TxRabbit
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Mickey's Backyard BBQ...also know as MBYBBQ..that one took me a while to decypher once upon a time...is at the Fort Wilderness resort in a large outdoor pavillion. Traveling there is interesting...

We were at MGM that morning...and the day was going so well...we decided not to take a break to our resort...and thus incur more strenuous travel to MBYBBQ...and just take the FW bus from MGM...which would have been a fine plan if I hadn't left the tickets in the room...:eek:

The BBQ starts at 6:30 pm...it's open seating at large long picnic tables...find an open spot and hunker down with whoever else decided that spot was good too. The pavillion is large and fully covered...with the stage being set up in the center of one side...with a large open space, that is, the dance floor and performing area in front of the stage...tables run so that everyone has to turn sideways at their picnic table or straddle the bench in order to face the stage...if you are seated in one of the tables before the stage...if you have to sit to the left or right, half the table has their back to the stage and has to fully turn around to see the action...

It is well covered. I think it would have to be blowing wind combined with driving rain to affect the BBQ...here's the pavillion
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2701.jpg

that orange glow under the pavillion on the left is the stage area...near where the man wearing the blue shirt is on the right is the buffet area where the hot food is.

back to transportation...
if you take the boat from MK to FW then you have landed in the section of FW where the BBQ actually is...that whole area feels a little like a small old west town...wooden buildings...snack carts...you will walk past the Hoop-Dee-Do place, the Trail Ends restaurant, and keep walking...just keep walking...just keep walking...you will finally turn a corner and continue to walk toward the pavillion for the BBQ. It's not an outrageous walk...but again...useful info if you are dealing with little legs or other slow walkers...

Now...if you end up having to do what we had to do...

We finally made it back to BC at 6:05 pm. Quite frankly...I was horrified...I had heard that you HAD to get there early...we would get a horrible seat if we weren't there early...and here we were...we would definitely be late...especially if we took Disney transporation...

The $12.25 cab ride from BC to FW was money well spent...

But we got dropped off at the check-in area of FW. Not to worry...head on over to the bus stop area...the buses run quickly and every single bus that comes will take you where you want to go...which is a name I can't remember right now, but begins with S and is the name of the other bus stop location where all the restaurants and boat launch is located...

It's a similar walk from the bus stop area as from the boat launch. I know...we took the boat to MK home and made the bus transfer there.

Over on the bus side is the petting farm. It was quite large looking...it looks like it would be quite a fun addition to anyone's BBQ planned evening...let alone the other dinner show. IMO, I would research that more, and maybe plan on that being a great break for little people in between Disney transportation to FW and sitting through a dinner show...not so much the BBQ, though, because you don't really sit at the BBQ...

Back to the setting...there may be restrooms somewhere in the little town area, I will call it...at the BBQ, they are the ones that must obviously service the themed pool at FW, which we couldn't see, because it was fenced off and must be under refurbishment. It isn't a long walk...but it is a little walk...something to keep in mind with small bladders...

I think that there was a Photopass photographer that took your family's pic by the water tower when you arrived. I noticed that they were handing out the photos to the people in them during the evening and giving people the opportunity to purchase them. Not sure, mind, because we were late.

We got there at 6:50 pm and the party was in full gear...the band was playing...they were very good...and all the characters were dancing with whoever else wanted to dance
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2702.jpg
The characters were great. Goofy was the best...I really watched him...he really interacted with the kids...at one point, he had a little circle going on and he would show the group a dance move...then they all would do that for a while...then he pointed to someone else in the group...they did a dance move...they all did that for a while...Goofy was of course, a little Goofy while he danced...so it was fun to watch.

Let's make some notes here before we get to the food...

This place is LOUD!!! Blasting in your ears, leave them ringing like you went to a concert kind of loud, when the band plays...they do take breaks...you'll see...

The characters do NOT sign autographs...and they do NOT pose for pictures...this is NOT a meet and greet event

...I felt very sorry for some families that didn't understand the nature of this event...and left early...and left disappointed...and upset...

I feel better now...at least YOU know and understand...

On to the food...
One bonus about being late...NO LINES at the buffet!!! There were four or five lines that were accessed from two sides. Grab your disposable plates and silverwear and feast on...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2706.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2705.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2704.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2703.jpg

and your plate might look something like this
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2707.jpg

The ribs were very good...I judge a rib by how clean the bone is when I am done with the rib...because that lets you know how easily the meat falls off the bone...and my bones were clean...the sauce was pretty good...a sweet BBQ sauce...not a spicy one...a thick brown one...not a thin red one...if you're into ribs, you know what I mean...

I didn't eat the chicken, but DS did...I found a leg for him...it was good...tender...moist...tasty...

The green salad was surprisingly good...sometimes premixed salads can get a bit wilty...too much dressing...this was crisp...Italian dressing...

The cole slaw was good. Nothing special. But good.

The potato salad was bad. The potatoes were mushy, overcooked...not firm, like they should be...and the dressing was a vinagrette type dressing...which wouldn't have been bad under other circumstances...but I was really hoping for some tasty good ole mayo based potato salad...

The beans were rather bland...I didn't enjoy them...

The corn was good...a little on the soft side...you know how corn gets when it just a little overcooked?...but it wasn't totally overcooked...just slightly...I ate it...I enjoyed it...

I went back for more ribs...

As the food is depleted, they condense the buffet...as time goes by...there will only be one buffet line left open...I do think that food was available for most of the night though...

certainly there was plenty to choose from here...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2711.jpg

all night long...Mickey bars...Minnie bars...and popsicles...those long twirly looking ones that are orange and yellow and green?

I didn't partake here...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2712.jpg

It was off to the side and I didn't see it before I was too stuffed with ribs...I had moved on to here...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2714.jpg

or rather to the beer offered at the table next door. A nice CM stands behind the bar and serves Bud Light from the tap. I didn't take his pic. That felt like it would be weird.

If you prefer the nonalcoholic variety of refreshment, go here...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2713.jpg

there is water, iced tea, lemonade, and fruit punch...I think...DS drinks water, we did too, along with our beer...there are two banks of drink dispensers, one on either side of the buffet on the backside of the pavillion...assuming that the stage side is the front.

BTW, there were also two ice cream coolers and two watermelon counters.

I tried and tried to take pictures of the entertainment...but it just didn't work...it was getting too dark...the pics are either dark...or make you dizzy blurry...which is too bad, because the rope trick guy was very cool.

First, I know you are really wondering if we got a decent seat...and we did...we were toward the back, but we had a center front view of the stage. But I have to tell you, I don't think it matters where you sit...not too much anyway...

the band plays for quite a while. They acknowledged a colonel in the guests and sang a song in his honor...Proud to be an American...I also remember the Devil Went Down to Georgia...which was a fair rendition of the song...and incase you are wondering...the did sing something else about the Devil's mother so as not to offend little ears...so obviously they have a fiddle in the band and they really keep the beat going...if you are ready for a rip roaring good time...then you can have some fun...

The entire night is filled with YeeHawing...

The characters take a break...the band takes a break...and our rope trickin' cowboy comes center stage...or rather, center dance floor...all children are invited to come sit behind the safety blue line...parents are invited to come join their children...by sitting behind their children...

Two children were invited to learn to twirl a rope and participate in some tricks...he was good and highly entertaining...

Here comes the band...and then, let's all give a yee haw and call back the characters...they wished everyone a happy birthday and read their names and ages out one by one...and sang Happy Birthday...and then they acknowledged the anniversaries...and sang a slowish type song...

There goes the characters...and there goes the band...

And here comes our dance instructor...he is going to teach us how to line dance...I admit I got up...several other adults did too...I wasn't the only one...

Now here comes the band...and Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaw...here come the characters...and we are all going to get into a circle and do the Cotton-Eyed Joe.

Now it's time for the grand finale folks...sit behind the safety line and grab your cameras because this is your only opportunity to take a picture of the band and all the characters...I tried...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2715.jpg

Happy trails, folks, that was the end...and it was just after 8:30 pm. Seriously. I know. I thought it went until 9:30 too.:confused3

Hit the restroom before walking to the boat...you'll be glad you did...

DS played on the playground for a bit on the way to the boat...the wait wasn't too long...we didn't make the boat that was waiting there...but another boat came within 10 minutes...and we were able to sit in front in the outside area of the boat...and I think we saw the fireworks from Fantamic!...they were random and that's the only thing I can think they were...

We paid OOP for MBYBBQ, because I had heard it wasn't worth 2 TS credits. I have to agree. But otherwise...this can be an event...especially if you enjoy what the FW has to offer, and aren't late...we enjoyed ourselves...I am glad we did it...DS said on the way out that he didn't understand that he wouldn't get to interact with the characters in a more typical character meal kind of way...ooooooohhhhh, sweetie....I am sorry...I thought I explained that...be clear, very, very clear...

Credit Man
08-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Wonderful reviews. Thanks for posting.

momomonster
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2449.jpg

Stracciatella is a kind of chocolate chip. I asked how the flavors rotate and the CM said that they keep the same flavors for one month and then they generally switch out one or two at a time, and keep those for a month, etc.

DS had chocolate. DH had stracciatella. I had mango. They were all FANTASTIC. We went back for more on different days. The large size does qualify for a snack credit. I wish it were a bigger large size:rolleyes1. I don't know that I would go out of my way for it...however, if you are at all in the vicinity, it is definitely worth a stop, if you like tasty frozen treats.

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much for this info! We LOVE gelato!

I copied your pics, sent them to Dh and he wrote back "Find out where that is!" ha ha ha

mom2fivecs
08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Great reviews...thanks for sharing.

TxRabbit
08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
This morning, we actually sat in the lounge and had an unhurried breakfast. With an unscheduled morning, because we were attending P&PP this evening...we found ourselves back in DTD at Disney Quest. After a short while, we took a break and headed back to Wolfgang Puck Express for lunch, this time, at the West Side location. Here on the Dis, in the complete list of restaurants, it's called the Wofgang Puck Cafe Express.

This Express location is attached to the Cafe. It does have a separate entrance, but you can also access the Express from the inside of the Cafe...so you can also use the restrooms inside the Cafe. (I seem to always point out the restroom locations for the CSs...I hope you think that's handy and that I'm not weird:upsidedow.)

Like the other Express, this one has an open kitchen, free access to the fountain drinks, and the wonderful mango flavored unsweetened iced tea:), and as far as I could tell, the same menu. Unlike the other Express location, there isn't a single table for inside dining...there is a bar height countertop with bar height stools, about 6 of them. Virtually all the seating is outdoors.

The outdoor patio is large, fully covered, with ceiling fans. An iron railing separates the patio from the people street...no water views...great people watching. We were here at about 1 pm...the sun was shining...it was quite comfortable on the patio...and we basically had our pick of tables, because very few people were there. When we ordered, we were the only people in the restaurant...both times...you'll see.

DS claimed to not be hungry...DH and I were feeling pretty hungry...we wanted something more substantial for lunch than salad, and pizzas were looking good...we could see them coming out of the oven...because the oven is one of those tall, fireplace looking ones...the kind that are featured in Napa Valley outdoor kitchens...I HAVE watched HGTV a time or two:rolleyes1 ...

DH ordered a pizza he thought DS would enjoy...Italian Sausage, Mushrooms & Pepperoni - Tomato-basil pizza sauce, peppers, onions, mozzarella and fontina cheeses
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2729.jpg

I didn't...and ordered Spicy Chicken Pizza - Thai pesto, grilled chicken, red & yellow peppers, roma tomatoes and leeks
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2730.jpg

The burnt look of the edges just comes with the territory of a wood fired oven...it happens...don't eat those parts...because the rest is really, REALLY tasty. These pizzas have crispy crusts...kind of on the thin side...but the toppings are plenty ooey-gooey to satisfy that cheesy craving that must be satisfied with any pizza eating experience. I enjoyed the thinner crust...I felt like I was consuming fewer calories...and I could easily eat this entire pizza...some may be able to split this...if you weren't too hungry to begin with...but DH and I easily consumed ours...we did trade a couple slices...

The sausage, pepperoni was good...I liked it...but I like that kind of topping more with a big fat crust...if you are going to have super fatty meat product on a pizza, then you might as have a nice thick, pan style crust...it's a personal preference...it WAS a really good pizza...but I liked mine better...

Spicy is an apt description...not hot...spicy...a little bit of build in your mouth kind...where you can still totally taste all the flavors in each bite kind...and a sip of iced tea totally cools it all away...very nice...this reminded me of a California Pizza Kitchen, if you are familiar with that franchise.

When our pizzas came out, because again, like the other location, you receive a little plastic tent with your number on it...and they bring you your order...DS's appetite was renewed...I knew that would happen...

So I trotted back inside to order for him...now cheese pizza is the pizza on the kid's menu...DS LOVES pepperoni...so I enter into a discussion with the CM about how I can get a pepperoni pizza for a child...she suggests that I order the sausage and pepperoni pizza, hold everything but the pepperoni...she explains that by the time she adds the $2 you have to pay to add a topping to the child's pizza, it will cost the same as the adult pizza, only it will be smaller. She rings me up...but wait...what about the meal plan?...there was some confusion here...she must have rung me up a couple different times...and finally it was set up properly as a child's menu choice...but because of the world today...and the efficiency of computers talking to other computers...and the chef put the pizza in from the first order...DSs Pepperoni pizza, I am sure, was adult size...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2731-1.jpg

and he ate it all...except for the crust of course.

We did order desserts with our meals, but the CM was kind enough to say that we could come back inside for the refrigerated desserts after we had finished our meals...so they wouldn't lose their appeal in the heat...very nice of her. There was one huge disappointment here...NO CREME BRULEE.:eek: :scared1: :sad2: Apparently, creme brulee is only an option in the Cafe at this location...someone else owns the Wolfgang Puck Express location in the marketplace...this west side location is owned by a different company...and this company does not do the creme brulee for the Express.:sad:

If you choose to order either the prepackaged chocolate chip cookie or the brownie, you take that with you when you go to your table...I picked the Brownie for DS
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2732.jpg

Carrotcake
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2734.jpg

and Key Lime Pie
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2733.jpg

The brownie is very fudgy. DS really liked it. I had a bite...it was very rich...I tell you, we took the leftovers home...like all the way home...it went to the fridge at the BC and then into my fridge here at home...I finished that brownie today, TODAY!...and I REALLY liked it cold. It was like eating fudge, but not the texture of fudge, more like a brownie:upsidedow ...but you understand...really rich.

The carrotcake was yummy...the frosting...oh...don't you just LOVE creamcheese frosting?...I do! So does DH, you can see him recovering what was stuck to the lid of the container in the pic.:) This carrotcake was good. It was moist...but it wasn't fluffy cake...this was heavy duty texture, in a very good way...it didn't stick to the fork...yum...it was good.

The key lime pie was good...I am not an expert on key lime pie...the custard was creamy...and very lime-y...a little on the tart side...but the meringue was a great complement to that...

I saw the huge line form inside...thought to myself how our timing was very nice...and looked at the time 1:30 pm...eating some late lunch in DTD...busy time...

Coming up next...Crystal Palace before P&PP...

TxRabbit
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
btw...thanks again everyone for the positive feedback...writing this review is a lot of fun...it's like reliving it all...helps with the post WDW vacation blues...I'm glad you're enjoying it...:goodvibes

irongirlof12
08-31-2007, 02:11 AM
wonderful reports. :thumbsup2

shovan
08-31-2007, 02:25 AM
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! I just came upon your review and I can't tell you how much this will help with our next 2 trips! :cool1:

In Oct. we'll be visiting for F&W staying at BCV again. And we haven't eaten at either Cape May or Yacht Club Galley yet! Both look so wonderful!!

If you had to pick one, which one would it be? We are taking this trip with no kiddies along.

In Feb 08, we will be staying at OKW & going to the Daytona 500! :banana:

This will be the 1st trip my Mom has come with us, since 1983 or 84!! She was along for my DD's first trip, DD was only 16 months old & my Mom has not returned since!! She thinks she doesn't like WDW!!! Maybe she just doesn't like DW with a 16 month old! Anyhow, my DD is now 25 and married & rarely vacations with us her parents. ( We are just waiting for grandkids to take them along!)

So I would like to show my Mom a different side of DW, since we'll be at OKW, the DD area will be great! I have already booked Raglan Road for dinner & am now thinking we should book WPucks also!

Thanks so much!!!! Your reviews & pics were great! & such a big help!!!:goodvibes

PoohFan97
08-31-2007, 05:30 AM
The carrotcake was yummy...the frosting...oh...don't you just LOVE creamcheese frosting?...I do! So does DH, you can see him recovering what was stuck to the lid of the container in the pic.:) This carrotcake was good. It was moist...but it wasn't fluffy cake...this was heavy duty texture, in a very good way...it didn't stick to the fork...yum...it was good.

The key lime pie was good...I am not an expert on key lime pie...the custard was creamy...and very lime-y...a little on the tart side...but the meringue was a great complement to that...

The key lime pie looks (to the best of my memory, which isn't what it used to be) like the one served at WPC. My DH liked that last year, too. WPC also has carrot cake, and our server recommended it ... but we chose something chocolate, instead. <g> In any case, these might be the same desserts served at WPC.

Thanks for your reviews! I love your descriptions and photos!

snoopywoodstockus
08-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Thank you so much for posting the pictures of the BBQ. I also appreciate you providing more details and comments about the food. DH and I are trying to decide the few remaining slots for our trip in Dec.

Sorry your trip is over but on the upside...now you spend all your time planning your next trip :woohoo:

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 10:01 AM
To EVERYONE...thank you for all the complements.:goodvibes :hug:

And we haven't eaten at either Cape May or Yacht Club Galley yet! Both look so wonderful!!

If you had to pick one, which one would it be? We are taking this trip with no kiddies along....

This will be the 1st trip my Mom has come with us, since 1983 or 84!! She was along for my DD's first trip, DD was only 16 months old & my Mom has not returned since!! She thinks she doesn't like WDW!!! Maybe she just doesn't like DW with a 16 month old! Anyhow, my DD is now 25 and married & rarely vacations with us her parents. ( We are just waiting for grandkids to take them along!)

So I would like to show my Mom a different side of DW, since we'll be at OKW, the DD area will be great! I have already booked Raglan Road for dinner & am now thinking we should book WPucks also!

First, I would go to BOTH again...picking between the two would largely depend on what type of dining experience you wanted...

for a character meal...CMC is fairly low key...not as loud as CP...and if your Mom is the kind that likes the characters, and/or watching children be all excited about the characters...and many adults, too, the characters will respond to your obvious desired level of interaction...then I would definitely chose CMC...it feels more like Disney, you know?...and depending on your Mom's age...I know MY Grandmother would have a bit of an easier time maneuvering around the CMC buffet than the Galley buffet...if that's a consideration...if would be possible to sit much closer to the buffet at CMC also...

I also like the theming at CMC better than Galley...so if characters would be more of a no go...then consider the Clam Bake Dinner...which is a seafood oriented buffet...I have read mixed reviews of this...but in my observation...it smelled wonderful...and everyone seemed to be enjoying it...it would be on MY list to try anyway...

If you think that you would enjoy a quieter dining experience...then choose the Galley...for breakfast, there is also a full service menu...when we visited, I saw someone from the kitchen staff eating the Egg's Benedict in the dining room...and it looked VERY good...there are families here, but fewer...there were several business people in attendance both times we visited...and if you don't opt for the buffet at breakfast...then you don't have that up and down, up and down dining experience...and depending on where your other plans take you, you might appreciate the leisurely meal that the Galley would feel like...

I would definitely recommend WGP...and like I said before, I'd shoot for an off time...or the edges of the popular dinner hour and try to get a table by the windows...the water view was so nice...just like real estate...location can make a difference in your dining experience.;)

I hope you have a wonderful trip! pixiedust:

shovan
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
To EVERYONE...thank you for all the complements.:goodvibes :hug:

First, I would go to BOTH again...picking between the two would largely depend on what type of dining experience you wanted...

for a character meal...CMC is fairly low key...not as loud as CP...and if your Mom is the kind that likes the characters, and/or watching children be all excited about the characters...and many adults, too, the characters will respond to your obvious desired level of interaction...then I would definitely chose CMC...it feels more like Disney, you know?...and depending on your Mom's age...I know MY Grandmother would have a bit of an easier time maneuvering around the CMC buffet than the Galley buffet...if that's a consideration...if would be possible to sit much closer to the buffet at CMC also...

I also like the theming at CMC better than Galley...so if characters would be more of a no go...then consider the Clam Bake Dinner...which is a seafood oriented buffet...I have read mixed reviews of this...but in my observation...it smelled wonderful...and everyone seemed to be enjoying it...it would be on MY list to try anyway...

If you think that you would enjoy a quieter dining experience...then choose the Galley...for breakfast, there is also a full service menu...when we visited, I saw someone from the kitchen staff eating the Egg's Benedict in the dining room...and it looked VERY good...there are families here, but fewer...there were several business people in attendance both times we visited...and if you don't opt for the buffet at breakfast...then you don't have that up and down, up and down dining experience...and depending on where your other plans take you, you might appreciate the leisurely meal that the Galley would feel like...

I would definitely recommend WGP...and like I said before, I'd shoot for an off time...or the edges of the popular dinner hour and try to get a table by the windows...the water view was so nice...just like real estate...location can make a difference in your dining experience.;)

I hope you have a wonderful trip! pixiedust:

Thanks Jeannie! :thumbsup2 But now I think we will definitely have to do all three!!! :laughing: We do have 2 trips scheduled after all!

Thanks again! :goodvibes

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
We ate at Crystal Palace for lunch on our first trip to WDW back in March. It was a very enjoyable meal then as well...and because I have two dining experiences there, and never reviewed our first...I will probably make comments regarding both our March, Spring Break lunch experience and our August, dinner experience...just because I can...and it might be helpful to someone...

This night is the P&PP night...I was really hoping to get an ADR for Chef Mickey's, because we have never eaten there, and I thought it would be a fun preparty dinner...I couldn't get it...but I could get CP...and the earliest time I could get was 6:25 pm. The P&PP officially begins at 7:00 pm, but I believe you can be admitted to the park with a P&PP ticket as early as 4 or 4:30 pm...I wasn't thrilled with our plan...but I was hopeful of getting seated a little earlier...and because we had been here before...we would be less concerned with the character experiences...more concerned with eating and hitting the road...

So.

If you were anywhere in the vicinity of WDW on Friday, August, 24, especially in the evening...then you know about the downpour...the skies just opened and dumped...and it lasted...more details are appropriate to my TR rather than this dining review...so let's just say that we finally showed up at about 6:40-45 for our 6:25 ADR:scared1: on the night of P&PP.:eek:

It was questionable whether or not we should even keep our ressie here...because we wanted to enjoy P&PP to the fullest extent possible...but with the rain...

I spoke with several others waiting to be seated...it was hard not to draw commentary as the three of us showed up covered in big black garbage bags...again...more TR related...and come to find out that many people had been waiting for an hour...even with ADRs...because when the rain hit...the people in the restaurant slowed down...daudled...took their time...after all...why rush...it was POURING outside...so table turnover DRASTICALLY lengthened...something to keep in mind if you find yourself freaking out because you are going to be so horribly late for your ADR due to inclement weather...don't worry...get there when you can...it will probably work out similar to us...

we waited all of 5 minutes to be seated.:)

Contrast this to our lunch experience...we had 11:15 am ADRs for lunch on an am EMH MK morning...we decided to check in early...because we were hungry...we had really accomplished a lot that am and were ready to sit and EAT...we checked in just before 11:00. I swear...divine timing...because the line just formed behind me...we waited about 5 minutes to be seated...and were seated in a virtually empty restaurant on the right side...and ended up with some great character time right away...Of course, the restaurant quickly filled up thereafter...

Crystal Palace is a beautiful restaurant. Aptly named, the exterior walls are largely glass, allowing plenty of natural light into the restaurant. As you enter the CP, you will be under the glass dome in a light filled atrium space, where topiary 100 acre wood characters and other plants thrive...further into the dome area is the buffet...the very center has the carving station...on either side of that are mirror images of the hot offerings...which are in turn flanked by the cold offerings...which are in turn flanked by the children's offerings. In the center of this semi-circular area are two stations with the dessert offerings.

Here's my family in March infront of the Tigger topiary...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/WDW032007/100_2050.jpg

The entrance/buffet area effectively divides the restaurant into two sides. For both of my visits, I have sat on the right side as you walk in...I assume that the two sides are somewhat similar mirror images of each other...but my description will be based on the right side of the restaurant. In the center of dining room area is another smaller glass dome, letting in a lot more light with another planter of foliage...hanging plants abound...and also street lighting...I didn't take this pic, but this is a good one:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/4944/1121231img7id.jpg
Kristina on these boards took it and I have referenced it.:goodvibes

There aren't any full booths in CP, but many half booths, where there is the bench seating on one side and chairs on the other...on our first visit, when we were seated in one of these style tables...the server recommended that we place DS on the chair side, the better to be prepared for pictures with the characters, while we sat on the bench side...it was good advice...warning though...these half booths along the wall side are against a MIRRORED wall...if your DS is like mine...this can contribute to quite a bit of distraction and sillyness;) ...

I found the daylight ambience to be better than the evening...in the daytime, CP is bursting with natural light...the extended line of sight through the windows is pleasing...you feel like you are eating in a garden room...in the nighttime, the artificial lighting seems a little harsh...the undressed windows are mirrored reflections and rather annoying...contrast the above picture with this one...if you look above me, you can see the tigger topiary...and don't laugh...I'm trying my best to put on a good pirate face
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2748.jpg

The characters here are FANTASTIC...during both visits, we saw all the characters...Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet...this was especially commendable for this evening visit because we were among the last seating available, right before closing at 7 pm. The character guidance CMs:confused3...the ones that accompany the actual characters themselves?...purposed to come over and make sure that we had seen their character...as the seating had become somewhat sporadic at this point with many leaving and no more coming...

Similarly, the food offering were still quite plentiful and I didn't feel like I was at the end of the dinner service...even though I was...and getting the dregs of the night...which I worried about, somewhat...

CP has an almost overwhelming selection of food...really, if you can't find something here you like...then you are beyond picky...because they have it all...if you look at the Dis board menu, you will read quite a variety...and the variety extended to the hot and cold selections...there is chicken, pork, fish, meat, veggies, potatoes, etc etc, and salads GALORE...

I really try to not overdo at the buffets, and pick what really looks good to me, rather than taste a little of everything, so here's my first plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2738.jpg
from the salad clockwise...romaine lettuce, with red peppers, red onions, and blue cheese crumbles in vinagrette, southwest chicken salad, salmon, and Mediterranean couscous salad. Everything was excellent. The green salad crisp, not overdressed...chicken salad had great southwest flavor, cumin if I remember correctly...the salmon was perfectly cooked and moist, not dry like some can get on a buffet...the couscous was good...not as good as the Tangierine Cafe, in my mind...but still good.

Second plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2741.jpg
From the carved prime rib clockwise...cocktail sauce and peel and eat shrimp...Fire Roasted Corn Spoon bread...Broccoli tossed in Puri Puri and topped with Key Lime Ponzu...Thai Curry Mussels...the prime rib was good...there wasn't one on the carving board when I went for my second trip to the buffet and they brought out a new one...I asked for a more rare selection, which they said, they didn't have available...it was available earlier, as you'll soon see...still, good flavor...I just tend to like my meat more on the medium side...the shrimp were fine...they weren't tough...enjoyable...but I live on the Gulf coast...and I can be picky about my shrimp...the cornspoon bread is almost like eating candy...it is such a sweet tasty concoction...almost dessert quality...I loved it in March and still did...the brocolli was al dente, just the way I like it, with nice seasoning...I haven't tried many mussel dishes...I found them to be chewy...I didn't care for that...but the curry flavor was great...I LOVE curry...

I snapped a shot of DHs second plate
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2739.jpg
You can see that his meat was rarer than mine...and that we both like brocolli and that spoon bread...

We were getting full and quite frankly, eagar to get going to the party...so we didn't bother much with dessert...I know...:scared1: Here's the plate DH did bring back
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2744.jpg
which doesn't appear to be too spectacular, I admit...but the coconut flan is really yummy...I don't know what the chocolate thing is, but it was moist and delish...I can pass on cookies...I can add here that the desserts in March were amazing...I gorged myself silly on them...I remember the flan and the boston cream pie especially...many choices, like the rest of the buffet...don't be turned off by our lack of eating it and think that somehow the desserts are lacking...far from it...

It's a dining review, but I have to throw in some character pics because it IS a character meal...and after all...that is one of the big draws of going to a character meal, right? DS was in a mood at CP...it was something of a downer to be headed for what should be a fun filled P&PP party and go to a restaurant:eek: ...with characters that he wasn't interested in because he saw them before:eek: ...so on this night, DH and I really had fun with the characters...and so, let me tell you, the characters know just how to play with the adults as much as the kids...DH is a ham for the camera sometimes...I love these shots as he puts on his best pirate face...
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2743.jpg

contrasted to
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/WDW032007/100_2049.jpg

and
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2745.jpg

with
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/WDW032007/100_2043.jpg

Character meals are so much fun...whether you have kids or not...they are so much fun...unique to the Disney experience...I highly recommend Crystal Palace not only for the characters, but also for the food...having done both lunch and dinner within a six month span, I honestly didn't see much difference between the two...rather the difference came in the ambiance of the restaurant, and given a choice, I would choose daylight over night...

jtnsami
08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
I love this thread and the pictures are wonderful. Really making me look at my ressies for next April. I'll be taking my DS4 for his first Disney vacation, and will be doing some character meals. I thought about CP, but now it is definitely on my list of "TO DO" with him. That and because mommy loves Tigger and Eeyore. We're doing the breakfast though.

Keep the reviews coming! :thumbsup2

frannn
08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
You mentioned that both WPE menus looked the same. The menu here on the DIS for the Westside location looks different, though. Do you recall seeing Asian ribs (14.95), macadamia chicken (15.95), "Adventure in the kitchen" meatloaf (14.95) etc, on the Westside location menu? The menu here says it was updated 5/07. If the DIS one is incorrect, I'll stick with the Marketplace location. I would love to try the Asian ribs, though, if Westside actually has them.

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 07:45 PM
You mentioned that both WPE menus looked the same. The menu here on the DIS for the Westside location looks different, though. Do you recall seeing Asian ribs (14.95), macadamia chicken (15.95), "Adventure in the kitchen" meatloaf (14.95) etc, on the Westside location menu? The menu here says it was updated 5/07. If the DIS one is incorrect, I'll stick with the Marketplace location. I would love to try the Asian ribs, though, if Westside actually has them.

I just took a look at the menus here on the Dis...it is the Westside location menu that shows the ribs, chicken, and meatloaf...not the Marketplace location...but I think I get what you are saying...if those items were actually at the Westside, you would go over to the Westside?

For what I was looking at...salads and pizza...the menus looked the same...However, I do distinctly recall noticing the macadamia chicken being on the Westside location menu, because I had ordered it earlier in the week at the Cafe and I remember thinking to myself that you could get that same dish for a CS credit instead of a TS credit...I guess I just assumed that it was also offered at the Marketplace, because I didn't pay any attn to the entree selections there when we went, and thus, wouldn't know any different.

Now having visited the Westside Wolfgangs, it makes perfect sense to me that the Westside location menu would be slightly different than the Marketplace and would offer some items from the Cafe menu because I believe that they use the same kitchen...service and selection is what varies...and remember, the Marketplace location is owned by a different company than the Westside location restaurants.

I don't know if you read the PP that stated that they thought the key lime pie dessert offered at the Express location is the same that is served in the Cafe...which also makes a lot of sense...as neither the Cafe nor the Cafe Express have any desserts on their menus here on the Dis...and when we went to the Cafe, they explained that select could vary daily...so they probably just pick a couple to offer in the Westside Express location based on what they also made in the Cafe...I wouldn't be surprised to hear that those Express desserts might also change daily...although I am NOT saying they do, because I don't know that for sure...but my point is that there are several indications that suggest that the Westside location benefits from the Cafe service, and is able to have some more upscale menu selections than the Marketplace location, including the ribs.

I wish I could verify the ribs for you, since that is what you are most interested in, but I can only say for certain that I noticed the chicken dish...but given that, I would bet that the menu here on the Dis is correct and the ribs really are on the menu.

And btw, if you get to eat them, take pics and send me over to your review.;)

Hope you have a great trip. pixiedust:

frannn
08-31-2007, 08:01 PM
And I will ask DH to take a pic before we dig in ;) , even though he'll think I'm out of my mind... I will probably have to bribe him with my desert to get him to take the extra few steps from WOD to Westside :rolleyes1 .

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 08:09 PM
extra few steps from WOD to Westside :rolleyes1 .

extra FEW :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was having serious :scared1: :eek: :scared1: issues with the lack of creme brulee and I was clarifying that I could indeed go to the Marketplace location and eat creme brulee if I wanted, but not there, at West side...and DH was like, "Babe, it is NOT worth the 45 minutes it would take to get there and back." :laughing:

frannn
08-31-2007, 08:15 PM
extra FEW :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was having serious :scared1: :eek: :scared1: issues with the lack of creme brulee and I was clarifying that I could indeed go to the Marketplace location and eat creme brulee if I wanted, but not there, at West side...and DH was like, "Babe, it is NOT worth the 45 minutes it would take to get there and back." :laughing:

I would walk a mile in a snowstorm for some good udon, while DH would be happy with a MCD's burger cause its "easy".

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
I would walk a mile in a snowstorm for some good udon, while DH would be happy with a MCD's burger cause its "easy".

oh, you must remember that we have 6 year old legs in our family! LOL! DH can only take so much shoulder carrying with those added 50+ pounds, so we would have to walk at a fairly slow pace...

We did walk the length of DTD from Disney Quest to the Marketplace bus stop...I think you could walk WOD to WPCE it in about 10-15 minutes, depending on your pace and how easily you were distracted along the way...when I first asked him, DH thought is was maybe a quarter mile and definitely less than half a mile.:confused3 I didn't mean to worry you...but it is more than a FEW steps...;)

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 09:36 PM
While waiting for the fireworks following the parade during the P&PP, we went to that popcorn booth there in the circle in front of the castle. Popcorn and fireworks...ahhhh....

Just a quick note to share that the souveinir bucket popcorn...$3.75...was NOT included as a snack for the DDP. There was no little purple snack stick next to it on the menu sign...and I asked the CM just to make sure that wasn't an oversight...I just read on someone else's review that they got that bucket in AK, MGM, and Epcot. I did notice that they didn't get it in the MK and I wonder if this is one of those weird quirks...like you can get a funnel cake in MK with a snack credit, but not in Epcot.

FYI.

We did get the regular, smaller bag and a bottle of water for 2 snack credits...because you have to have popcorn when your watching the fireworks.:)

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 09:58 PM
:sad1: This was our departure day. We ate breakfast from the lounge in our room...ahhhh...breakfast in bed while watching Saturday am cartoons...that's vacation for a 6 year old!:rolleyes:

Epcot was a pick to click for the time we had on this day. We walked on over there right around lunch time. DS really wanted more of the yummy chicken and since DH and I didn't really partake on our other visit to Japan, we were game...

I already described the restaurant from our previous visit...so straight to the food...

Teriyaki Chicken - Chicken thigh served with teriyaki sauce and steamed rice with Ginger Cake - Sponge cake with ginger flavored icing for dessert.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2761.jpg

this pic has the chicken side facing the camera...see!...it really is a large portion!...and it was good again...

I had Sushi Tokyo Roll - Avocado, cucumber, crab meat and smelt roe reverse rolled in sushi rice and seaweed with Ginger Cake - Sponge cake with ginger flavored icing for dessert and iced green tea of course.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2764.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2765.jpg

I understand that for various types of sushi there can be decent and EXCELLENT sushi...but what about a ROLL makes it excellent? These rolls were no different than the ones I get from the little booth in my local Kroger owned grocery store made right there by the Asian chefs...I like them from the grocery store and I liked them from here...the avocado was fresh, so was the cucumber, and taste was normal...so...nothing special...but good...a little wasabe...a little picked ginger...dip in the soy sauce...and down the hatch! YUM.

btw...Saturday afternoon lunch hour...not busy...

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 10:14 PM
True to being hungry at regular intervals...DS was ready for some more food before DH and I...we had just left Test Track...you know all those snack carts there by those rest rooms and the fountains?...we went over and DS says, yum, hot dog...

Not a snack credit, but I could use a CS credit...and I had some to burn...because we had been eating more meals using the lounge than I had anticipated...that and we ate more TS than anticipated when we canceled Citrico's on the first night...

At the snack cart, the hot dog CS meal would come with chips, (Lays potato chips were the only choice) a drink and dessert...which was a choice between either the yellow or the pink frozen lemonade by Minute Maid:eek:...totally couldn't deal with the frozen lemonade...and no, you can't sub with a tasty Mickey bar or twirly shaped popsicle from that other cart right there...but we were able to sub another bottled water for the dessert...yes, I know, a $6.75 hot dog, a bag of chips, and 2 bottles of water for a CS credit...some would be appalled:scared1:...that's not maximizing your purchasing power!...

I share because this is what we did...and it made DS very happy...and THAT, my friends, is maximizing the DDP...be happy...don't worry... (if you aren't getting the most expensive item on the menu, etc.)...there is sooooo much food available to you, I doubt that if you at least USED all your credits that you didn't at least break even...

that hot dog was BIG
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2774.jpg

and there's my boy, showing his anticipation for that tasty big ole dog...

He couldn't even finish the whole thing...

travelmel
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I highly recommend Goofy's. All our selections qualified as one snack credit each. Even if you can't eat it right away, just take it with you...you will be so glad you did.:thumbsup2

I almost forgot I wanted to try this place (So MANY things to remember!) Thanks for your in depth descriptions, I love them!
Melissa

cymbaldiva
08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Your report has been both enjoyable and informative - thank you so much for sharing! :)

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
or I suppose I could title this...

How to use the rest of your dining credits...:laughing:

It was getting close to ME pick up time...and we had an agenda...so we headed back to the marketplace...remember your Homer...aaaaahhhhhhggggg gelaaaaaatooooooo...

we paid for our gelatos and the CM said...you have 6 snack credits left...:scared1:...no way!
and 2 cs credits...:scared1:

okay...let's figure this out...quickly...

the CS credits were fairly easy to compute...we grabbed the most perfect to go food for airplane travel. As it turned out...we arrived two HOURS before our departure time...so we picked some lounge type chairs in the general area after getting off the tram and enjoyed

Turkey and Mozzarella on Sourdough Baguette with basil mayonnaise, arugula, and red wine vinaigrette
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2778.jpg

Roast Beef and Brie on Ciabatta Roll with horseradish mayonnaise and caramelized onions
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2781.jpg

and you'll notice from the second picture that these are saran wrapped sandwiches. They are premade...prepared daily though...and just sitting there waiting for you to take with you...the perfect to go food...

if you were within a day of departure and anywhere near BC, I would seriously get these sandwiches and stick them in your fridge, assuming you had one, I suppose...these were good sandwiches...the bread was good...the meat and turkey were deli sliced...the mozzerella was the spongy fresh kind, not the string cheese kind...the brie was in big thick slices...the onions on the roast beef was a nice addition...and even though we totally ended up bypassing the condiment bar with the nice little packets, because we were trying to deal with using all our credits...they were still quite tasty and not too dry...

Our flight was at 5:55 pm...so this was a GREAT meal...you know how eating at the airport is...if it's quick service, it's generally junk food...expensive...and just about non-existent on today's flights...so seriously, if I have the privelege of staying near BC Marketplace again...I WILL plan for this for our trip home...

Oh wow...I just saw the Lays chip bag...that came with the hot dog CS from Epcot!...I'll have to edit that post...

The sandwiches came with a drink and dessert for CS...I don't remember all the choices for dessert...we chose this very special rice crispy treat to go with each sandwich
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2780.jpg

which was tasty...and lasted...DS and I just finished the second one TODAY!:rotfl:

DS got another Lunchable for a snack credit
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2779.jpg
I took a pic because, you know, I was taking pics of all our food at the airport...:)...I will say that the cheese was a little less than wonderful after the time for its travels to the airport and through security and on the tram...but still edible...the lunchmeat was just fine:thumbsup2...

And we bought a big, multi serving sized bag of Doritos for a snack credit...not the FAMILY SIZE...but still, the big bag...

a box of Entemann's chocolate donut holes and a box of glazed donut holes for the next day's breakfast since we were going home to an empty fridge for two snack credits

and a bag of Goofy's Candy Co. gummies and a bag of sour gummies for the last two snack credits...

And then we were at 0 for TS, 0 for CS, and 0 for snacks:sad:

TxRabbit
08-31-2007, 11:29 PM
I feel like I need to write a conclusion to this report.:rotfl:

I have thoroughly enjoyed writing this...I sincerely hope this information is helpful to you...I have tried to write what I would like to know, given the opportunity...

I felt a little like a reporter while on vacation and that was fun for me...it added another dimension to our travel and actually made me, if not my family, attempt to live in the moment that much more...which can be hard to do on a Disney vacation, when you may be forever thinking about what's next...and analyzing the best course of action now that you are eating and it is this time and likely the lines are this long and so it would be best to do... what next?...I know you relate...

This vacation needed to have a sense of relaxation about it...which isn't the easiest thing to accomplish while you clock the miles on your jambs and do your best to not overheat in the August sun...and so my dining choices reflected this goal...many of the restaurants herein this review swing both ways in the reviews...and I would urge anyone reading this to understand WHY you are selecting the restaurant you chose, because that will largely determine your satisfaction with your choice...if you choose based solely on the opinions of others, then you are fairgame for disappointment, because everyone has different tastes...if you chose because of a certain menu item or atmosphere, then your odds increase for an enjoyable, unregrettable, if not totally amazing dining experience...and with that, I withdrawl from my soapbox...

Even though I don't have another trip to WDW planned at this moment in time:sad1: ...I will still be around...if anyone has any questions, please ask...I enjoy being helpful...I'll answer to the best of my knowledge...

here's hoping that your dreams come true in the place where dreams do...pixiedust:

CJ
08-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Thank you sincerely!
I leave in two days and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews!
People like you are what makes this site so wonderful!:love: :cloud9: :goodvibes

kindakrazy2
09-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Fabulous dining report! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that.

Still drooling over the yummy food.....:goodvibes

cstooge462
09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
thank you so much for taking the time to do a dinning report. it was great and you kept me interested until the very end.:thumbsup2

fernifamily
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Jeannie,

What a great report!!! I read the whole thing:rotfl2: !! We will be going to WDW in April and I just booked yesterday through AAA for POR and for our parkhopper tix. I didn't add the dining plan, because I'm not sure about it. We are a family of 5 , but 2 of the kids, DD 12, and DS, 11 will have to pay the adult prices for the food. I really have to figure out if it is worth it. This report is really helping me decide. Thanks!!:love:

Patti

TigerKat
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Jeannie - Excellent report!! Thank you for taking the time while on your vacation to "live in the moment" as we all benefited from it.:thumbsup2

Happyflower
09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=jmsadams;20527367]We stopped in Goofy's to grab some snacks to eat later.

Basically, you get to pick a base, a dip, and up to two toppings. There is much to choose from. I don't have the sheet available right now, but if you really want to know, I could add the choices.

Could you post the choices? Do they have toffee bits?

PatsMom
09-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Great reviews and pictures. Thanks for sharing. We haven't been to the Backyard Barbque for years but now I am thinking about it again after seeing the Mickey bars are now a dessert option. DD and DH would love that! The pool you saw isn't the Fort Wilderness themed pool - they don't have one. It is the pool from the old River Country water park. The rest rooms used to be part of River Country as well.

branv
09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
:rotfl: I just love some of those pictures of your son, like the first pic at Crystal Palace. What a character he is!

I hear you about the creme brulee..mmmm. Well, at least 45 minutes of walking would have burned off, say, about one spoonful? We were so happy when we saw that the patisserie in France had creme brulee but something was not right with it. It almost tasted like they'd put gelatin in it...weird. But it was late so maybe it had sat a little longer than is healthy for a cream-based dessert. :scared: So Houston has a Central Market, have you tried their surprisingly good creme brulee? Super cheap too :thumbsup2 (Though DH always asks them to go and "burn it up a bit more" on the top.)

TxRabbit
09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Could you post the choices? Do they have toffee bits?

Gladly.

Goofy's Candy Co. Create Your Own Treat:

Start With:

Caramel Apple (the one base that I believe may be too expensive for a snack credit...)
Pretzel Rods
Marshmellow (which are 4 large sized marshmellows on a stick)
Gingerbread Mickey Cookie
Mickey Krispy Rice Treat
Fudge Cookie - vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter (these are oreo-like and 3-4" in diameter

Dipped In:

Milk Chocolate
White Chocolate
Dark Chocolate

Topped With:

Assorted Rainbow Sprinkles
Mini White & Dark Chocolate Chips
Chopped Peanuts
Chopped Pecans
Crushed Oreo Cookie Crumbs
Crushed M&Ms
Crushed Butterfingers
Crushed Reese's Peanut Butter Cup
Milk Chocolate Drizzle
White Chocolate Drizzle
Caramel Drizzle

Sadly, toffee bits are not available...I understand...that's why we bought the toffee slab, which was about 2-3" x 3-4" big...

TxRabbit
09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
delete

TxRabbit
09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Thank you sincerely!
I leave in two days and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews!
People like you are what makes this site so wonderful!:love: :cloud9: :goodvibes

Thank you...that is so sweet.:cutie:

Fabulous dining report! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that.

Still drooling over the yummy food.....:goodvibes

thank you so much for taking the time to do a dinning report. it was great and you kept me interested until the very end.:thumbsup2

Jeannie,

What a great report!!! I read the whole thing:rotfl2: !! We will be going to WDW in April and I just booked yesterday through AAA for POR and for our parkhopper tix. I didn't add the dining plan, because I'm not sure about it. We are a family of 5 , but 2 of the kids, DD 12, and DS, 11 will have to pay the adult prices for the food. I really have to figure out if it is worth it. This report is really helping me decide. Thanks!!:love:

Patti

Jeannie - Excellent report!! Thank you for taking the time while on your vacation to "live in the moment" as we all benefited from it.:thumbsup2

Great reviews and pictures. Thanks for sharing. We haven't been to the Backyard Barbque for years but now I am thinking about it again after seeing the Mickey bars are now a dessert option. DD and DH would love that! The pool you saw isn't the Fort Wilderness themed pool - they don't have one. It is the pool from the old River Country water park. The rest rooms used to be part of River Country as well.

Thanks for the kind words everyone...you brighten my day.:cloud9:

Happyflower
09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the posting the toppings! I guess the butterfinger toppings will have to do! :thumbsup2 lol But I will be sure to use a credit for a giant toffee slab becaue those little thin candy bars that you buy in the store just isn't enough! :banana:

tiki23
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Thank you so much for your excellent reviews and pics!

(And for the bathroom locations! :thumbsup2 )

Jillpie
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I am on pg. 3 right now of this thread and just really loving it! I especially love that your writing style is including everyone, meaning newbies and experienced people alike. You're assuming that people haven't seen any of it, including a description of a Mickey Bar!:thumbsup2 Having been to DW 8 years now, I LOVE that you are doing this!! I'm also a BCV DVC member, and I have never taken a look at the Marketplace offerings until I saw them in your picture, you have no idea how helpful that was, we never seem to have the time to really take a look at what is available. So anyway, I really thank you for taking the time to do this for us.:yay:
p.s. well, I just finished the whole thing, and all I can say is a huge thank you!! This should be sent to the Disney folks somehow, they would appreciate it and maybe offer you some sort of job! lol. Anyway, I do have a quick question. At the Yakitori House, do they offer fried rice instead of white rice? That chicken looked delish!

Rubbertops
09-06-2007, 12:43 PM
We were shown to a wonderful table...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/jmsadams/100_2537.jpg

Hey - we sat at that exact table on Aug 31. We were there after 5 and it was so noisy that I don't think I would go back there for dinner again.

We also loved the gelato and we liked that we could get 2 different kinds in one small order.

Thanks for the report.

TxRabbit
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I am on pg. 3 right now of this thread and just really loving it! I especially love that your writing style is including everyone, meaning newbies and experienced people alike. You're assuming that people haven't seen any of it, including a description of a Mickey Bar!:thumbsup2 Having been to DW 8 years now, I LOVE that you are doing this!! I'm also a BCV DVC member, and I have never taken a look at the Marketplace offerings until I saw them in your picture, you have no idea how helpful that was, we never seem to have the time to really take a look at what is available. So anyway, I really thank you for taking the time to do this for us.:yay:
p.s. well, I just finished the whole thing, and all I can say is a huge thank you!! This should be sent to the Disney folks somehow, they would appreciate it and maybe offer you some sort of job! lol. Anyway, I do have a quick question. At the Yakitori House, do they offer fried rice instead of white rice? That chicken looked delish!

Thank you!! They do NOT offer fried rice...white rice only. But it was good white rice, for being white rice...some is just stickly white...but this had to be jasmine, so it has more flavor that some typical fast food like places...the threads of ginger were a nice touch too, if you aren't a big fan of the plain...and there was enough sauce from the chicken to run into the rice as well...DS's plate had a "battle" going on...the sauce was invading the rice and slowly taking over...we got the play by play during lunch.;)

Hey - we sat at that exact table on Aug 31. We were there after 5 and it was so noisy that I don't think I would go back there for dinner again.

We also loved the gelato and we liked that we could get 2 different kinds in one small order.

Thanks for the report.

How funny...I hear you on the noise level...no pun intended...it would have been very annoying to me to have dinner there at the time we were leaving...I wonder if the late crowd is as bad?:confused3 ...being DTD...I'm not sure later would be better...I could go for some gelato right now...It's quite warm in Houston today...

PrincessTiff
09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Excellent reviews and pictures. The gelato looks wonderful!

DLo
09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Awesome reviews. I just read the whole thing from beginning to end. I love all your deatil and great pics. We rarely make it to DTD on our trips - they are usually only 4 days and we feel we have to pack in all the time we can at the parks. But, after seeing the pics. of the WP Exp and Cafe, I may have to make an exception this year. We ate at the Express a few years back and enjoyed it. Oh, and to go to Goofy's, too. My mouth is watering looking at the options. I think I may have already decided what to order 2 months from now.

We were orginally staying at the Swan this trip and I booked a dinner at YCG. We may not go now since we changed resorts. Do you know anything about the dinner menu? You mentioned there was a buffet at b'fast. I didn't think they had that at dinner but wasn't 100% positive.

Anyways, thanks for all the useful information.

TxRabbit
09-08-2007, 09:48 PM
branv...

I tried to send you a PM...but you aren't set up to receive them...please delete the content on your post

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20600933&postcount=98

on my TR.

eeyore45
09-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I really enjoyed your TR report - but this report has me truly concerned...
I've sent others to your review - I loved how you and your son spent your dining and thought it would be helpful to a few I know -

Thanks for your helpfulness!!

TxRabbit
09-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Is everything ok?

I really enjoyed your TR report - but this report has me truly concerned...
I've sent others to your review - I loved how you and your son spent your dining and thought it would be helpful to a few I know -

I hope everything is ok!! Branv's post didnt seem mean or hurtful in any respect...

It WASN'T mean or hurtful in any way...it was fun and helpful...but unfortunately, it is a public announcement of our location...we have had a wake-up call recently and feel that we are supposed to remove all pictures of our family and all references to our location...it's a PROACTIVE course of action with regards to safety concerns in the world we live in...

Thanks for your concern...everything is ok...we are just doing what we feel we are supposed to do!

shovan
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Jeannie, Thanks again for the great trip reviews! Loved all of it! Especially the details on the BC marketplace! Great Job! :thumbsup2