PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance- is it worth it??

NJPluto
08-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm on the fence with this. It adds $119.90 onto the cost, which isn't a deal breaker but I like to save money where I can. The CM said there's still time to drop it but he went to describe various scenarios in which we might need it. I'm an easy sell so I kept it. I'm just curious if anyone has had to use it and if so, did it really cover as much as the CM's say it does? They really seem to push it!! Sorry if this is the wrong board for this topic.

cara loves the poly
08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
You don't need it until you do! :thumbsup2

Aliceacc
08-25-2007, 12:28 PM
The policy I paid for (sounds like the same one, but the AAA agent got mine, so I'm not sure whether or not it's through Disney).

My father-in-law isn't in the best of health, so I thought it was a good idea. It also covers the flight. So if the local airport is closed to weather, I think we're covered.

Honestly, with the amount of money you spend on a trip to Disney, that $120 is a drop in the bucket.

NJPluto
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Exactly! That's what I'm afraid of. I'd better keep it. With my luck, dropping it will all but guarantee I'll need it!!!!!

NJPluto
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Honestly, with the amount of money you spend on a trip to Disney, that $120 is a drop in the bucket.

Well said!!!

DisneyFans4
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I usually don't get it and for the past 10 years have been very lucky and all is well and we've made every trip I made, however, this coming October my DH and my DS are going and DH goes every year for a convention but DS wants to go this year since he is now starting college and will have some time off but since school hasn't started yet and we're not sure if his professors will be keen with him being absent I took the insurance in case he won't be able to go.

The amount is small when you consider the total cost of your vacation so it's really piece of mind.

tasha99
08-25-2007, 03:31 PM
You really have to look at your situation. My dad, for example, cruises frequently, and he has never bought trip insurance. He's saved the cost of several cruises that way, but the key is that if he needed it, he wouldn't be in any trouble since he's very well off.

I on the other hand, hemmed and hawed, and finally decided to get trip insurance for my upcoming trip. I scrimped and saved for this trip, and I couldn't afford to lose it.

It's kind of like having comprehensive and collision on your car--I have it because I couldn't afford a new car if disaster hit. Other people don't need it, because they could just go buy a new car easily. :confused3

texasteacher35
08-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I never get it, and I have never needed to use it! I am sure it is good for something, otherwise NO ONE would buy it...I am not going to cancel my trip, and if anything else happens to me along the way...it just does...

bytheblood
08-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I never get it, and I have never needed to use it! I am sure it is good for something, otherwise NO ONE would buy it...I am not going to cancel my trip, and if anything else happens to me along the way...it just does...

:thumbsup2

candyfloss
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
i think it depends on your situation....
(i will be 33 weeks pregnant when we travel, so I have looked into this alot)

it costs $119

canceling 6 days before you leave would use you $100, close than 6 days you would be out $200.

we have very good health insurance, so we wouldn't need that covered.

we will be driving, so no issues with canceling flights.

so really we would be only missing any luggage benefits. (luggage stolen or damaged in our car would be covered by our car insurance)

so to us, its just not worth it.

-rebecca-

aristocat
08-25-2007, 05:56 PM
remember too that the cancellation portion of insurance doesn't mean that you can cancel "just because". cancellation insurance only covers senarios such as if you die, are hospitalized, jury duty, terrorism... etc.... all the senarios that apply are rather 'harsh' and unlikely for many people (unless they're in poor health or something).

i don't know how many times i've had to explain to my fiance that buying cancellation insurance doesnt mean we can just cancel for whatever reason (like if his holidays don't get approved at work).

Cool-Beans
08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I think it depends on what I'm insuring. If it is just one night's room and tax, I probably wouldn't bother. But if I'd lose $5,000 if I had to cancel, I get it.

Everyone thinks it can't happen to them. Nothing will stop them from taking their trip. But, crap happens.

We had to cancel a Disney trip less than 24 hours before we were sceduled to arrive due to a family medical emergency. It does happen.

Don't bank on the fact that nobody in your family will have a heart attack or go into kidney failure or whatever. Medical crap comes when it comes. If you've sunk a lot of money into something and can protect it for one hundred dollars, do it.

That's my advice, anyway.

kat3668
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I say it is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I had to cancel my trip last year due to health issues and I was glad I had that insurance! Just because all seems fine now is not a guarantee that when the time for your trip comes you will be able to go... You know that saying ".... happens":goodvibes

jmkrat
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I get the insurance all the time, and have used it once. My DD lost her i-pod on the plane. We knew right away, but still it was not turned in. I didn't know if it would be covered or not, so I called the insurance co. ( the one through Disney) and sure enougn it was. They paid the 199.00 for the i-pod and an addditional 25.00 for the case. For me it was worth it, I had know idea it would cover lost items. You do have to produce receipts, I have know idea how the claim would be handled if I didn't have one. I have paid more money for some policies that let you cancel for any reason. I had to get one like that when my dog was ill, and I didn't know if I would have to cancel the trip at the last minute. Those policies are out there they just cost quite a bit more.

Nwfdrool
08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
The CM said there's still time to drop it but he went to describe various scenarios in which we might need it.

Isn't the trip insurance non-refundable? So, if you purchased it, why would you drop it?

I thought Disney was pretty good about allowing families to reschedule their trip due to a cancellation. I decided not to purchase it being we would only lose out on $200 so the difference between losing out on the $119 insurance wouldn't be that much more. Plus, we are flying Southwest Air and they give airline credit to use up to a year if we cancel our flight.

Mr. Pig
08-25-2007, 08:47 PM
$120 may be a drop in the bucket but it is still $120. I never liked that idea of as long as you're spending a lot of money what is a little more. You need to look at what you may lose if, God forbid, something bad happens. As was said, if you may lose out $5000 then you may consider it. If you think the odds are very small of needing it and you would not be devastated by what you would lose then consider not taking it. Insurance is a big money maker for the provider so the odds must be in favor of you never using it. We have never taken travel insurance and never would have needed it but we have been lucky - or should I say we have not been unlucky. I lost my wallet on a plane once but the loss was covered by my homeowners insurance.

Hedy
08-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Maybe I'm just darned unlucky, but given that I've used trip insurance twice in my brief life (and I suppose you could count the trip we canceled where we *didn't* have insurance :sad2: :sad2:), I view it as a necessary part of my travel budget. JMO. Plus, I'm flying out of Boston in December, so the inclement weather protection is important to me.

lpandorf
08-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I was thinking if something happened I could reschedule and just be out the $200 and we are on Southwest this time like another person that posted and I could get a credit for another flight. If you plan to reschedule if something happens would you need the insurance?
Thanks!

yngsj
08-26-2007, 01:55 AM
I only buy trip insurance when we go during hurrican season but I don't buy it through WDW travel. I only pay 80.00 instead of the 120.00.

coolcruiser
08-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I was thinking if something happened I could reschedule and just be out the $200 and we are on Southwest this time like another person that posted and I could get a credit for another flight. If you plan to reschedule if something happens would you need the insurance?
Thanks!

These are my thoughts as well. From my perspective the insurance cost $119 but it only protects the $200 cancellation fee. It would only save me $80 and that is only if I cancel due to a covered reason. If you have to cancel for a non covered reason (like work issues) you will still be out the $200 plus the $119 insurance fee. Without insurance I risk losing $200 but only if I don't make the trip. If I buy the insurance I am out an extra $119 up front - guaranteed. Of course if you have expensive airfare to cover it is a different story. I am talking about the room package only.

On a side note, I also always take the insurance for a cruise vacation. The cruise lines have much stiffer cancellation penalties.

NJPluto
08-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Isn't the trip insurance non-refundable? So, if you purchased it, why would you drop it?

I thought Disney was pretty good about allowing families to reschedule their trip due to a cancellation. I decided not to purchase it being we would only lose out on $200 so the difference between losing out on the $119 insurance wouldn't be that much more. Plus, we are flying Southwest Air and they give airline credit to use up to a year if we cancel our flight.

I guess you could say I was having buyers remorse. I was also curious about the necessity of it because the CM's seem to push it so much. The CM that I spoke with said that the trip insurance is refundable if you do within a certain time frame (he didn't give me details). He also said that it couldn't be added at a later time if it's taken off, which is perfectly understandable.

GRUMPY PIRATE
08-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I had trip insurance and never though a thing about it. (it wasn't optional for a long time when booked thru disney)
THEN we were staying at the Poly club level in Sept 2004. A hurricane Hit!!
the trip insurance paid for the two extra days we had to stay at club level, the (small) charge for changing our airline tickets. and meals. all in all the little over $120.00 paid back about $900.00! As the saying goes, you do the math!

Also during the first part of the trip, my wife took ill after a meal and we were told that the trip insurance would have paid for a in-room doctor visit (above what our health insurance allowed) (and before anyone asks, it wasn't the food!)

Pirate Translation:
Arrrhhh arrgghh. The fee we be a'payin fer 'ta bonefides 'o glee be worth the small purse o'gold. Depite a gale, the cabin and tucker and grog were backed by word and gold by 'ta gov'ner O' ta bonfides of glee. O'l Grump even got me fee fer "ta silver birrrd which took him and wench back to the land O' sunshine. We be happy 'wit 'ta fee for bonifides, not even 'ha 'ta pull cutless from scabbard 'ta get back 'ta gold! Fer landlubbers, they be a shipmate there. Arrrhh arghhh.

DJT
08-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I have been pondering the insurance question as well. I called today to make changes to my reservation, which actually turned out that my original one was canceled and a new one was made. The CM added insurance without even asking me about it. When the total figure was about $120 more than I was quoted yesterday, I asked him to break it down for me. I am on a Visa package this time with room and tickets. Part of that breakdown was the insurance. I told him I didn't want it. Our trip is 12/8 - 12/15. He said I have until 10/24 to cancel with a full refund of the $200 deposit and until 10/24 to add insurance.

My parents are not in good health. I never know when the phone rings during the night if it's going to be the call I dread. I really don't want to add that $120 but I may end up doing it just to be safe.

Donna

GRUMPY PIRATE
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I have been pondering the insurance question as well. I called today to make changes to my reservation, which actually turned out that my original one was canceled and a new one was made. The CM added insurance without even asking me about it. When the total figure was about $120 more than I was quoted yesterday, I asked him to break it down for me. I am on a Visa package this time with room and tickets. Part of that breakdown was the insurance. I told him I didn't want it. Our trip is 12/8 - 12/15. He said I have until 10/24 to cancel with a full refund of the $200 deposit and until 10/24 to add insurance.

My parents are not in good health. I never know when the phone rings during the night if it's going to be the call I dread. I really don't want to add that $120 but I may end up doing it just to be safe.

Donna

O.k. I have to ask, what is the VISA program? (I know this is off post) I have seen several people mention it. I make the assumption you are talking about a Disney Visa card? What do you get for having the card? Discounts or "special programs/packages? thanks in advance.

Pirate Translation:

Arrhhh Arrghh. Gar what be 'ta program that 'ta inkeeps give ya fer a'showing yer card o'credit marked 'wit the Mouse? Be it a special voyage or special cabin? Or be it less gold and silver fer the inkeep 'ta provide cabin and tucker and grog? Ye be a shipmate to "ol Grumpy if ye shar yer knowledge 'O the treasure chest. Aeeehhh arrghh!

DJT
08-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Grumpy, I don't have a lot of knowledge about it myself yet because I just signed up for it and just received it on Friday. What I do know is that Visa cardholders get a special rate at certain times on packages. For example, our package (DH and myself) is for seven nights at the ASSports and a three day base ticket each for a total of $798.78. That is about the same amount as my niece is being charged for the same time frame with a postcard pin code she received, which I believe figures out to be about $49 a night for the Values.

I picked up the Disney Visa Card information leaflet from our room at ASSports the first of this month. After the first charge on the card, I will recieve a free $25 gift card to be used at WDW. Also they give Disney Rewards on card purchases.

We usually charge all of our gas and then pay our credit card off each month anyway, as well as our plane tickets for our Disney trip, so I decided might as well get some Disney rewards for our trips. You can probably check online for Disney Visa and find out more information.

Donna

cookleitz
08-26-2007, 09:27 PM
We have had to use trip insurance to come home from a vacation early due to a death in the family. The $120 we spent on the insurance was well worth it, since not only did we lose 2 days of vacation, but the airline tickets to get us home on short notice were thousands of dollars. We are firm believers in trip insurance.

Chris

Goofymommaof2
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
What happens if you don't have a package deal? I bought airline tix from jetblue online, got my park tickets seprately before the prices went up and hotel rooms using the AAA discount through 407-wdisney. I called to ask about adding trip insurance and the CM said I couldn't purchase it because I didn't get a package. I am going to WDW in Feb. from NJ and I am concerned about the weather.

nolagirl
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
What happens if you don't have a package deal? I bought airline tix from jetblue online, got my park tickets seprately before the prices went up and hotel rooms using the AAA discount through 407-wdisney. I called to ask about adding trip insurance and the CM said I couldn't purchase it because I didn't get a package. I am going to WDW in Feb. from NJ and I am concerned about the weather.

Check out ***************** You can get quotes from various companies and compare.

GinaDice
08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
YES, Yes, and Yes when the time comes that you need it. We all think we never will --- but truth is we all will at some time or another.

Speaking from experience. I always grumbled at the extra cost to the bottom line of our vacation total until the year that we needed to change our cruise dates due my DH emergency heart surgery. Insurance allowed us to do this withour loosing the entire trip.

Avonlady1001
08-28-2007, 06:38 PM
My entire family went last Jan for my DD 1st bday (my mom, hubby, dd, 2 sis and both their hubbies.)

We ALL got sick when we got there - ended up calling ambulance to take my mom to the ER the first night. She got a bill when we got home for over $1000 for the ambulance ride alone - the travel insurance covered it.

We're pretty sure we caught something on the plane...thank goodess for the travel insurance. I was against spending the money when we booked, but I caved in. Who knew we would use it??

The point is, you just never know. It's a small expense for the peace of mind.

mr.alec
08-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Only a fool would buy rental car insurance..A bigger fool would buy trip insurance.:banana:

byoung
08-28-2007, 07:21 PM
We never buy it!

NancyIL
08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Only a fool would buy rental car insurance..A bigger fool would buy trip insurance.:banana:

May you never have to cancel a prepaid trip at the last minute!

I don't buy WDW packages, so I don't insure land trips. I DO insure cruises, because those cost a lot more money.

goodferry
08-28-2007, 08:05 PM
We did buy the insurance for our last trip, December of 2005. Given we were flying out of Pittsburgh, weather can be sketchy that time of year, so I added it. The first day we were there DD (7) was bitten by something. The next day, she and my other DD (2) were in the MK and she started crying her leg hurt. It was huge and red. We went back to the room, I had no idea what to do. We didn't have a rental car and I had my younger daughter with me. We were staying on the Club Level at the Poly, the CM there suggested DOCS, they would send a pediatrician to our room that morning. It cost us about $400, plus antibiotics (they did not take insurance), plus a wheel chair rental for a few days because she had to keep her leg elevated. It also cost us a day in the parks.
The trip insurance reimbursed us for the Doctor call, the medication, the wheel chair, one day park hoppers for each of us, plus one day of meal plan for each of us. I didn't ask for any of this. I simply called the 800 number, told them what happened and faxed them the receipt from DOCS, and they sent us a check right away.
So, I guess it's like ANY insurance, expensive until you need it.

leanan
08-28-2007, 10:02 PM
It is only a bad idea till you need it. My parents did not buy the insurance on one trip to China. My mom fell and broke her leg. My Grandma had to wire them money to pay the hospital for treatment. Never again will anyone travel in my family without appropriate insurance for the situation. That means all out of the country trips include health/accident insurance for the trip. All in country trips have emergency incident type insurance.

Cool-Beans
08-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Only a fool would buy rental car insurance..A bigger fool would buy trip insurance.:banana:I've had a lot of patients who said things like, "I was supposed to go to Jamaica on Friday." I've had a lot of family members who mentioned that they were supposed to be leaving on trips or couldn't come to the hospital when someone died because they were in Europe or whatever.

And, like I said, I once had to cancel a trip less than 24 hours before I was supposed to leave because we had a medical emergency in the family.

Medical crap comes when it comes. You never know when you'll be going about your business and answer the phone to hear, "Mom had a heart attack" or "Dad is in the hospital, the doctors are giving him a 50/50 shot at living."

I'd say that if you've sunk thousands of non-refundable dollars into a vacation and would be put out if you lost it...only a fool would not buy the insurance.

Ilovestitch
08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I'd say that if you've sunk thousands of non-refundable dollars into a vacation and would be put out if you lost it...only a fool would not buy the insurance.

But that's the thing-- with Disney if you had to cancel the most you'd be out is $200. It doesn't make sense to buy $119 in non refundable insurance when the most you'd lose is $200- even if you can the night before your trip.

People keep saying if the trip is worth thousands of dollars they get the insurance. It doesn't matter if the package is $400 or $4000 -- if you cancel and don't have insurance, they will refund your entire package minus a $200 fee.

Trip insurance really is not worth it on a Disney package b/c of their cancellation policy.

Cool-Beans
08-28-2007, 11:54 PM
But that's the thing-- with Disney if you had to cancel the most you'd be out is $200. It doesn't make sense to buy $119 in non refundable insurance when the most you'd lose is $200- even if you can the night before your trip.

People keep saying if the trip is worth thousands of dollars they get the insurance. It doesn't matter if the package is $400 or $4000 -- if you cancel and don't have insurance, they will refund your entire package minus a $200 fee.

Trip insurance really is not worth it on a Disney package b/c of their cancellation policy.Unless you're cruising, too. Or you're flying 6 people down and want to cover that, as well.

Everyone's case is different.

Like I said, if all I was losing was a night's room and tax, I wouldn't get it. But different people have different circumstances and what works for one may not work for another. Doesn't make them fools.

thymed
08-29-2007, 11:55 AM

I felt that way on our last cruise. It was one I booked while on a previous Disney cruise, so I could get our deposit back and did not have to pay the final balance until close to cruise time (end of jan for Beginning of April) We drove so I did not have to worry about planes etc. The thing we did NOT take into consideartion was my son getting a stomach flu and being quarantined. He was 7 so we all stayed in the room, luckily it was the last day of the cruise or he would have been quarantined for three days. If we had had insurance. We would have been reimbursed for each person for each day of the quarantine. So now insurance does not look like such a bad deal to me. Hope this helps someone

Scorpio1112
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Granted I'm skimming this but I understood it to cover delayed flights, luggage, etc. as well? I always pay for trip insurance am I really that much of a fool? For $119 dollars there are 4 of us going for 10 days... to me thats like $30 a piece for peace of mind? Too late to get my $ back now but am going to go back and read through this to make sure I understand what everyone is saying!

budbeerlady
08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
If you dont buy the disney plan, which we didnt. We booked our own airfare, who do you use to insure you?
We havent previously used insurance b/c of disneys liberal cancellation policy. But we are flying outa MI and my grandma is 90, her health isnt stellar I would rather have a policy in case we need to delay a couple of days or fly home early. Thanks!

dclfun
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Trip insurance covers things during the trip as well as cancellation. Once you're in the middle of a vacation, as various posters have mentioned, if there's a needed emergency Dr. visit, a trip to the ER via ambulance, a loss of time in the parks, an emergency trip extension due to inclement weather ( which would mean OOP expenses otherwise for meals, etc), or an emergency flight back home then all those things are covered. Well worth the peace of mind for the small cost of trip insurance, IMO. I've always gotten it and so far never needed to use it but I've heard too many other people's nightmares to not wish to have one of my own. ---Kathy

emh1129
09-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I read somewhere that their insurance policy doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions..
My DH is a T1 diabetic- as unlikely as it is, if something happens during the trip, they won't cover a Dr. visit or hospital trip? I'm also pregnant and the CM told me they would cover any sort of complication, so this was added peace of mind for me..
Just curious about their specific policies.

mrmagicmph
09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I read somewhere that their insurance policy doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions..
My DH is a T1 diabetic- as unlikely as it is, if something happens during the trip, they won't cover a Dr. visit or hospital trip? I'm also pregnant and the CM told me they would cover any sort of complication, so this was added peace of mind for me..
Just curious about their specific policies.

Different trip insurance plans cover different things. I can't speak to the Disney specific one, I got mine through USAA's affiliate trip insurance program and their insurance, so long as it is purchased within 14 days of the initial trip, will cover preexisting medical conditions, so long as those conditions wouldn't prevent you from traveling as of the time of purchase. So, check with the insurance provider; you can almost always request a copy of their policy (or their template policy) so you can review what it says about preexisting conditions.

Enjoy the Magic, & congratulations on your pregnancy!

Mickiethepooh
09-01-2007, 09:29 PM
We ALWAYS buy trip insurance, and separately, when we cruise. Weather is just one factor and Feb of 05 we arrived back from cruise to find all flights cancelled on the east coast had to rent a car and drive to MA.
But that is not the main reason I take it on cruises. the main reason is that it can cost up to $250,000 to be medicvacd off the ship and out of other countries, and all medical treatment in other countries must be paid before you leave the country. then there is the cost of repatriation of a body.
Now this last Feb of 06 we were on a cruise, when we reached port and called home we found one of our son's had had a traffic accident and been pulled from the burning car seconds before the fire englufed the inside of the car. He broke his back in four places and of course they moved him, but I am incredibly glad they did. Burning is one of my very worst fears and if that had happened it would have Killed me too.
So buying insurance DOES have it's uses and IS with it. Also always try to get it to cover pre existing conditions, because you may be healthy as a horse but if you mom at home has a heart condition and has a massive coronary or dies from it, you are only covered to get home IF you have the pre existing condition waiver. it is not just about the people who are ON the insurance.

Sammie
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM

exactly as is the case with all insurance.