PDA

View Full Version : Family of 7, where should we stay?

Moosestache
08-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone, I am trying to plan a trip to Disney for my family and I am having a real hard time deciding where to stay and how to set up the rooms. First a little family background, and our particulars. My wife and I are both coming along with our boys who are ages 17,15,13,5,and 2. Now, my wife and I want to stay in our own separate room, and we would prefer to have the two little boys in a separate room, either as part of a suite, or connecting if possible. We would like the three older boys to be in their own room and we would like it to be close to us, but it wouldn't have to be next door.

I have looked at the All Star Music, with a suite and a regular room, Pop with three rooms, and then I also checked CSR with a JR suite and a regular room, but it looked like there a JR suite is more expensive than two separate rooms. I also looked at Old Key West with a 2 bedroom villa a bit. The villa ended up costing a bit more than we had hoped to spend, but we shall see. We plan on going for 6 nights in the beginning of December.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

ProudMommyof2
08-25-2007, 08:22 AM
You could try a 2 bedroom villa-maybe at BCV for the pool. Lots of DVC owners will rent you there points for much cheaper than booking a villa through Disney. I know there is lot of info about this on the Dis as well as Allears and mousesavers.

bytheblood
08-25-2007, 09:16 AM
:welcome: to the Dis.

You have several options.
2 rooms at any value, moderate or deluxe or you could do a 2-bedroom villa. I agree with proudmommy, you should look into renting DVC points. ;)

jcpuppy.com
08-25-2007, 09:18 AM
2 bedroom villa is the best way to go for enjoyment factor. I loke OKW, but newcomers with kids will enjoy BCV best

GalDisney
08-25-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Go here if you are intersted in renting DVC points

DisneyDotty
08-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Just throwing this out there--how big are the Fort Wilderness cabins?

Quinn222
08-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Just throwing this out there--how big are the Fort Wilderness cabins?

Not big enough. Too bad since they are lots of fun. But he wants to have parents alone in a room and the cabins have bunk beds in the bedroom and a pullout in the living room that two kids would have to share and then they'd need a pack and play for the baby.

ms_mckenna
08-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Just wanted add another look into the DVC 2 bedroom villas. We just got back and took a DVC tour. He showed us a 2 bedroom since we are looking at adopting over the next year (4 children). The 2 bedroom is definately worth it's weight in gold. The one we looked at had a shower and tub in the master bath and then a bath in the other so 3 people could technically be taking a bath at the same time. BIG DEAL for us lol. One bedroom has 2 Queen beds, the "living room" has a pull out sofa, and then there is a king bed in the last bedroom. There is a full size fridge and microwave which makes a difference to us because even though we will be on the DDP we can heat up leftovers and have a fridge to get everyone's drinks to take the park cold. Then there is a washer and dryer. You could throw in a load in the morning and put it in the dryer when you get back. Which means you could cut down your luggage another biggie for us! I really would look into renting DVC if at all possible for you guys. You won't be tripping over each other as badly as you would be in 2 rooms. Coming from a standard room at Beach Club that DVC room looked like heaven lol.

mikesmom
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
If the OP is talking about THIS December he has virtually no hope of renting points. The Boards have been mentioning for some time that all DVC rooms are virtually sold out from Halloween through the 1st week of January. Spotty availability here and there, but not 6 days in a row.

The best bet for DVC villas (and I agree it would be a good solution space-wise) is to go through CRO, which the OP has checked. The only other possibility is to find someone who has a standing reservation that they can't use for some reason and have to unload. Even that would be a challenge right now. The new rules for renting on these Boards don't allow you to offer a standing ressie more than 30 days out.

Deb & Bill
08-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Exactly, Mikesmom. There is no way you could rent a DVC reservation from a member for December at this late date. Those resorts are pretty much booked solid. You might be able to make a cash reservation through Disney, but not on points.

OKW is going to be the least expensive two bedroom villa on property.

You may have to change your plans a bit and get two connected value rooms. Your older boys won't be able to stay in a room alone without an adult unless it is connected. The Ft Wilderness cabins only sleep 6. The All Stars Family Suites only sleep 6.

Moosestache
08-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Is there a requirement to have someone over 18 in every non-connected room?

Enchanted
08-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Is there a requirement to have someone over 18 in every non-connected room?

Yes, as far as I can remember.

minnie61650
08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
The Family Suites at All Star Music will sleep 6 plus a child under 3.

DH and I stayed in a Family Suite at All Star Music ( a value resort) last Sept. (2006)

We really enjoyed the Queen size bed, the kitchenette with the microwave, having a sofa and cushioned chair to sit on and relax after a day at the parks before retiring for the evening.

I thought the pullouts very comfortable.

They are designed so the back cushion and seat cushion of the pullout support the pullout. There is no metal bar to hurt the sleepers back.

Info thread--Pullouts in Family Suites at ASMU with photos of how the pullout is supported.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18100990#post18100990

Here is the layout of the Family Suites:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

Here is my review of the Suites:

www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17640774&postcount=7

For more photos and info please see this info thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392879

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

wrighter
08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll put in a plug for OKW. I did a lot of research before we reserved our villa this past February, and from what I could tell a 2 bedroom villa is the largest space you can stay in, with the exception of the Grand Villas. It has the most square footage of any of the DVC resorts. It is also the oldest one, and in my opinion it showed a bit. But we REALLY loved the extra space to spread out in there. The full kitchen was a huge plus, as was the laundry. Also, OKW makes you actually feel like you're in Florida, if you know what I mean. It was very laid back, which we liked. SAB at BCV would be great for your kids - that's a given. But at this late date there might not be availability. It seems like there's always availability at OKW. :-) And it's one of the least expensive DVC's.

Just wanted to put in my two cents. If you have any questions about our experience there you can PM me. There are lots of OKW lovers on this board, too, but my opinion would be a little more unbiased I think. (No offense OKW lovers!)

Hopefully
08-26-2007, 07:27 AM
I think the villa at OKW would be your best bet. We loved it there.
The second bedroom at OKW has 2 Queen size beds. The other DVC villas may not. A lot of the others have 1 Queen bed and a double sleeper sofa.
OKW villas are the largest on property.
Even on the DDP it is nice to have the kitchen for breakfasts, beverages and snacks. You will have 2 full baths and the washer and dryer is very handy. I would throw in a load on our way out and dry it on our break. It enabled me to take less, and I did not come home with days of laundry to do.
Although December may seem far away to you, things book early. I would try to decide soon.
Good Luck in your planning.

bigmoonmullen
08-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I've seen alot of availability for OKW & SSR using the current discount codes, depending on your dates. You might want to see if you can get a 2 bedroom using one of the discount codes. I keep looking to see if any discounts are available for our dates at WL in early December... the web site keeps steering me towards FW, SSR & CBR... have seen OKW pop up too once in a while with studio, 1 br & 2br.

Good Luck and have a Great Trip,

Mark

ducklite
08-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Bottom line I'd rent a house off site. I'm usually a big proponent of staying onsite, but in this case it makes no sense.

Anne

peg2001
08-26-2007, 12:39 PM
I would get the All Star Music suite plus an extra room. You'll be renting 2 rooms and have 2 adults so they will let you make this reservation. No one will be doing a bed check to be sure an adult is actually sleeping in each room. I would be perfectly comfortable with having the 3 older boys in their own room.

Lisann
08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I think the best solution is one of the three options below:

1st choice - 2 bdrm villa
2nd choice - Family suite plus additional room
3rd choice - off-site renting a house

SharonLowe
08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
We've stayed in a 2BR OKW villa and also a WL 2BR villa. The OKW villas win hands down even if they are older. The OKW villas are huge while the WL villa was tiny in comparison. Plus in our case, we had a regular 2BR not a 2BR lock-off which would have been much better for us since we had our young daughter on the sleep sofa and 2 teens in the 2nd bedroom who kept late hours. The living area in the OKW villas is very large and there is plenty of room to have people sleeping out there but also get to use it as a living room. and dining room.

You might want to check to see if there is a AAA discount on the villas. That would lower your costs even if you had to join AAA to do it.

Disney Doll
08-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Double post...don't know what happened.

Disney Doll
08-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I would agree that I would either do the OKW 2 BR villa or the ASMu Family suite + 1 room.

The OKW 2 BR does give you the full kitchen and the full size laundry area, which can be a big plus. With that many people travelling, if you can cut down on luggage by having thw ability to do some laundry in the room, I ithnk it would be great. Plus, you can also buy some food and do breakfast in the room...quick and easy like cereal, toast, bagels. I find we get out and about quicker if we have breakfast in the room rather than lingering around a food court or whatever. Some can be eating while others are showering and vice versa. You have, effectively, 3 bathing options (2 showers and a bath tub), a good amount of space for the kids to spread out in (2 queen beds, a queen sleep sofa + a king in the master BR). There are folks who are very resourceful and use the couch cushions as another sleeping surface for a smaller child, so each of your children could have their own bed with the 2 y/o in a P&P. If you are driving, you could even throw the blow up mattress or a sleeping bag into the car...there is certainly enough floor space in OKW to accomodate it.

The biggest issue may be cost, but what you might save in food could offset that a bit.

Moosestache
08-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I would get the All Star Music suite plus an extra room. You'll be renting 2 rooms and have 2 adults so they will let you make this reservation. No one will be doing a bed check to be sure an adult is actually sleeping in each room. I would be perfectly comfortable with having the 3 older boys in their own room.

The oldest boy will turn 18 a couple of days into the trip, so I guess we will be "legal" after a couple days.

Moosestache
08-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Price wise, we can basically do the All Star Music suite with a second room and Disney dining for the same price as the OKW 2 bedroom suite, with no dining. So thats a plus in favor of the ASMU, however I'm sure the 2bedroom at OKW will be much bigger and nicer.

What do you all think of the facilities at both places, ease of getting around to the different parks and Downtown Disney, places to eat, pools, stuff like that. Thanks soo much for the help.

Mike

Lilolvr
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Csr!

Moosestache
09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
I actually looked at CSR, but to get a JR suite and a second room, it was much more expensive. It looks like its going to be ASMU. Thanks for all the help.

ElizabethB
09-08-2007, 10:04 AM
The Fort Wilderness Cabins are a possibility because they are a party of 6 plus one under 3.