PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Disney talk to customers?

eeyore_is#1
08-23-2007, 09:28 PM
This is driving me nuts. We've got a tripped booked for next week, which we booked through Westjet Vacations, including air, Pop Century, tickets, etc.

So, being the prepared vacationer, we want to confirm our ressies etc are correct with Disney. Far too many stories of things being screwed up.

So, a month ago, we call Disney. They tell us they can't look anything up, we have to call our travel agent. Well, I know Westjet has the correct info, I want to make sure it's not screwed up on Disney's computer. So that's not really going to help, is it? :rolleyes:

So, finally on one call I get given the info that once we get within five days of our stay, I can call Pop Century, and confirm they have the correct dates, number of people in the room, and if available, I can request adjoining rooms without too far of a distance to go for our grandmother in a wheelchair, etc.

So, we're five days out tonight. I call Pop Century, they have no idea what we're talking about, and transfer us to to CRO again. And once again, they refuse to even confirm that we have a reservation.

This is bloody ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago, we were investigating joining the DVC. Now, I just want to cancel the whole freakin' vacation, it's so bloody annoying.

So, what's the secret? How do you actually find out if your reservations are correct? :sad2:

safetymom
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
You booked through a travel agent. They "own" the reservation until you are standing at the counter. Your agent would have to call and check for you.

lilyv
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM
You used a travel agent. You have to talk to them. If you want to deal direct with Disney in the future, you need to book your own trip directly with Disney.

SueM in MN
08-23-2007, 09:47 PM
You booked through a travel agent. They "own" the reservation until you are standing at the counter. Your agent would have to call and check for you.

You used a travel agent. You have to talk to them. If you want to deal direct with Disney in the future, you need to book your own trip directly with Disney.
::yes::
That is why Disney can't talk to you.

eeyore_is#1
08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
So, is there some good reason for this, or is it just a Disney policy to attempt to coerce folks to book directly?

Oh, and what was with the "Call five days out" stuff? Sheer idiocy?

lilyv
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
So, is there some good reason for this, or is it just a Disney policy to attempt to coerce folks to book directly?

Question 1 Answer: Actually it's standard policy within the travel industry.

septbaby
08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
You're going on vacation, don't arrive with a chip on your shoulder, it won't be nearly as much fun that way. Your agent is supposed to do the work for you so you DON'T need to call Disney. Just bring your travel documents and an outlook for a great family vacation and you'll be fine.

Spending time on these boards will certainly make you want to reach out to the Mouse directly, but relax you have people doing that for you. As for the 5 day comment, perhaps an honest mistake or a misunderstanding of the question.

In any event, a Magical time awaits, are you ready to receive it?

disneydance
08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Your TA owns the reservation till the moment you check in call her and ask her to call disney for you

Scornelius
08-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I totally understand your frustration. I booked through CAA, and I've hated not being able to call Disney directly. Thank goodness I can still micromanage my ADRs!
I figure the reason that they only let the TAs check and change any information is so there can't be any miscommunication because both you and the TA are altering the details. If you want to handle it yourself, you're better off booking directly with Disney.
I hope you get into the spirit soon! I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll have a terrific vacation. Maybe I'll see you there!

eeyore_is#1
08-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, that's just it. We don't have a TA. You phone Westjet, pay the fees, get an email back in confirmation. That's it for interaction. They won't phone Disney for you for anything.

Westjet is Canada's 2nd large airline (but easily the best). The whole vacation thing is sort of a sideline.

Anyway, not much to do other than arrive, and hope everything is correct.

GRUMPY PIRATE
08-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I booked with Disney travel online, paid fo it, etc. When I sent an E-mail to the IPO asking for some tours, dinner reservations and gave them my arrival and departure flights, they booked them seperately, AND CHARGED my CC on file. after numberious E-mails, and telephone calls to SEVERAL "supervisors" the story that I ws given was the the IPO office doesn't know my iternery, dosn't know I have already paid for a town car, and doesn't know that I have club level reservations because they, and I quote: "do not have access to (your) reservation, even though it was made through WDW reservations"

Unless they were lying....

eeyore_is#1
08-24-2007, 12:23 AM
I figure the reason that they only let the TAs check and change any information is so there can't be any miscommunication because both you and the TA are altering the details.

That's perfectly understandable to only allow changes from the TA.

But I fail to see why when you provide them with a reservation number, they can't tell you even the simplest fact such as what date they have you arriving and departing. They won't even confirm the existence of a reservation. :confused3

Only good things would come from confirming reservation details. If there actually was a mistake, confirming would allow the customer to contact the TA and get things straightened out, before it was too late.

This policy simply means that when mistakes do happen, it won't be discovered until an angry customer is shouting across the desk at a Cast Member.

Quinn222
08-24-2007, 04:45 AM
That's perfectly understandable to only allow changes from the TA.

But I fail to see why when you provide them with a reservation number, they can't tell you even the simplest fact such as what date they have you arriving and departing. They won't even confirm the existence of a reservation. :confused3

Because it isn't your reservation. It's all in your TAs name. As far as they are concerned you don't have a reservation, your TA does.

lustergirl
08-24-2007, 05:05 AM
<<<< never booked with anyone else- always do it myself then I don't have to worry because I am in complete control of everything. May I suggest next time booking it yourself. The disney website is a great tool you can use for booking your next vacation yourself or perhaps you could call them up next time to put in your ressie.

Good Luck!!

cdrn1
08-24-2007, 05:24 AM
I usually book everything myself but used a TA for an upcoming trip because I stumbled on to a really good rate. It has been very painful for me to sit back and wait and not be in charge of my vacation. I added some days on to the beginning of my TA-booked vacation so I am at least in charge of something!

eliza61
08-24-2007, 05:49 AM

Actually, disneys is not trying to coerce any thing. This is your TA "protecting" her assets. Most TA's perfer that you deal with them, that's how they make their money. Disney is more than happy to take your money.
As other posters have said, this is pretty routine.

daisyduck123
08-24-2007, 06:03 AM
So, what's the secret? How do you actually find out if your reservations are correct? :sad2:

Book with CRO next time, & not a travel agent.

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope your trip is great!!

cara loves the poly
08-24-2007, 06:35 AM
This is exactly why I will not book through AAA. I pay rack rate, get my room and tickets together and am in complete control. No last minute "surprises"!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
08-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Don't be mad at Disney.

Although people are using the phrase "TA" it's the same when you use a travel vendor. You did not book directly through Disney, you used a vendor apparently called WestJet, even if they are an airline with vacations as a smaller business segment - that's who you used. The vendor owns your ressie now. You gave control to the vendor and so things don't get changed without that vendor's knowledge, you have to go through them.

Actually "bad" can happen when someone goes around their vendor or TA, that is why the industry doesn't allow it. The vendor or TA is a someone to keep everything straight. It's not a Disney policy, it's a travel industry policy. If you had booked a Hawaii trip through Pleasant Hawaiian, you'd have the same kind of problem.

If you prefer to manage your vacation yourself, you'll need to book it yourself. Don't worry too much, it will most likely be wonderful, just make sure all your documents are correct, take them and any confirmation documents with you.

Have fun!

Sammie
08-24-2007, 07:26 AM
As stated when you book through any type of travel agency be it even Travelocity or Expedia, they own the reservations and truly there is NO info in the Disney computer system about that information for them to even check.

As the 5 days out. On 5 days out the travel agency sends the info to Disney and then about that time Disney reservations center sends the info to the resort.

Your frustration is simply a case of not realizing what you were getting into, Disney is doing nothing wrong.

bytheblood
08-24-2007, 07:32 AM
OP, I am sorry to hear you are so frustrated. This is why I always do all of my own reservations. I sure prefer to be in control of my vacation planning.

Is there a way to take control of your reservation back from Westjet?

Magic2000
08-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Sorry you're having a tough time - but it will probably be just fine. I usually book my own vacations too. But about two years ago, we decided to go the week after Thanksgiving and when I called Disney, all the values and moderates were booked, as well as any decent price with the deluxes. I saw availability through Expedia and booked. When I went to check with Disney about a week before the trip, they couldn't tell me anything either. But when we arrived, everything was fine and our room was ready and waiting!

Have a great trip!!!!!!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Is there a way to take control of your reservation back from Westjet?

Sounds like a package so most likely, not unless the OP cancels the entire thing, forfeits cancellation charges (next week) and starts over his/herself.

I'm guessing the OP got some airfare based on a Westjet Vacation and probably prices negotiated by the vendor with Disney. A package not available to the general public, won't be given to an individual. Understandably, Westjet put that package together and negotiated the rates - travel vendors don't just give their business away.

wannabeTinkerbell
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Not to worry, everything is most probably in order. I spent 35 years in the travel industry and the others are right. Your travel agent actually owns this booking and as such is the only one who can talk to Disney on your behalf.

Do also take their advice to take with you copies of all the reservations info that you've received from your travel agent. If you've got that in hand and problems do arise, it will be much easier for the CMs to get everything straightened out.

I noticed that you said that you were looking into DVC and, as a fairly new member of that program, I'd like to heartily recommend it. In fact, I'm kicking myself for not getting into it years ago! Dealing with their reservationists is a dream - much easier to plan your stay and know you're getting exactly what you want.

Hope y'all have a fabulous time!

:tinker:

dizneyluv
08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
We booked directly with Disney last year for our September trip. I called and booked, confirmed, everything. Remember...I did this directly with Disney.

We check in at ASMo and there is NO RESERVATION for us. It was there a few days before.

Thank Goodness I had every single piece of paper Disney had ever mailed me. They immediately blocked off our rooms (adjoining not connecting which split us up) and went to work on the problem.

The CM's and the Mgr were terrific but it took 2.5 hrs to check in.

So even dealing directly with Disney can be problematic. It DID NOT ruin our trip or even start it off wrong. They did everything they could to take care of things. Had the resort been full they would have put us up somewhere else.

I had my documents with me and I am not sure what would have happened if I didn't.

I'm a Type A planner but with flexibility and good humor. I booked last year's trip the day the Disney Visa card opened up reservations for free dining. It was not last minute or anything special. It was "hidden" in the system. Once a senior supervisor "unhid" our reservation (this is what took 2.5 hrs) we were fine.

I say take your travel docs, write down your reservation number somewhere else in case your travel doc's get lost and go knowing it will be fine whatever happens.

Take Care

kaytieeldr
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Well, that's just it. We don't have a TA. You phone Westjet, pay the fees, get an email back in confirmation. That's it for interaction. They won't phone Disney for you for anything. Sorry to burst your bubble, but when you call an airline and book anything more than airfare, you are booking a package. Even if WestJet has only one telephone number and you were not transferred at all, you booked your package with WestJet Vacations, i.e. a Travel Agency. That Travel Agency “owns” your reservation as is standard practice throughout the travel industry and which has been explained here several times.

So, finally on one call I get given the info that once we get within five days of our stay, I can call Pop Century, and confirm they have the correct dates, number of people in the room, and if available, I can request adjoining rooms without too far of a distance to go for our grandmother in a wheelchair, etc. The business with which you booked your trip (since you don’t feel it’s a Travel Agency) should have, have access to, and/or be able to confirm that the various components of your reservation are correct.
As for requests – you want to request connecting, not merely adjoining rooms. The former have a door between the rooms which allow access to both rooms without going outside; the latter merely means rooms that are next to or near each other.

Is there a way to take control of your reservation back from Westjet? Probably not, without cancelling it and incurring steep penalties. It appears they’re starting their trip very early next week?

I say take your travel docs, write down your reservation number somewhere else in case your travel doc's get lost and go knowing it will be fine whatever happens.
Conversely, I booked through a Travel Agent last year on the first possible day for the Free Dining Package (April something) to check in on the last eligible date of the promotion - September 29 - and I NEVER got my paperwork. Ever. Disney had six months to get it right, and couldn't. My TA called Disney. It was mailed to some entirely different state from hers. They sent it out again. Same thing happened. They told her not to worry, everything I needed would be at the resort when I checked in. Not. Ever. Not the night I arrived. Not the next morning. Not that evening. Not the next day. Not the next day. Now, granted, they did have my reservation in the system, but I didn't get any of the 'extras' (vouncers) everybody else got with packages - and I spent about two extra, futile hours at the Front Desk.

chickenskin
08-24-2007, 08:19 AM
We book through AAA all the time, many times as a matter of fact and have had absolutely 0(zero) problems with any Disney trip. And they save us a bunch of money. Just a thought.

stitchlover
08-24-2007, 08:20 AM
We seriously considered going with a TA this trip....our third. But I just couldn't do it. The kicker for me was that Disney wouldn't talk to me direct if I did. At 9:45pm the other night when my daughter decided "You know what, I think I do want to do the bunk beds after all." I was able to call Disney, make the change and have piece of mind that it was done. Within 12 hours I got an email confirmation from them showing the change to my reservation. I know sometimes a TA can save you a few dollars but it is worth the piece of mind for me to book everything myself!

peyjax
08-24-2007, 08:24 AM
We learned the hard way. If you want control of your vacation, book it yourself! We had possibly the worst travel agent ever when we booked last year. The worst part was she was constantly boasting on herself about what a great TA she was. After many futile attempts at calling Disney, they recommended calling her agent. They were somehow able to get that info for me and I called them to get things straightened up. She of course played innocent when confronted about the problems. She was charging us $100 + for the vaca than she should have and had everything screwed up. It was a nightmare. I definatly thought that our vacation was going to be ruined. It all worked out though and when we got there, Disney had everything in order. So try to relax and not think about the negative too much. You should have recieved all your paperwork from Disney with your hotel and flight information along with your vouchers. This definatly should ease your mind if the correct info is on that!

shellbelle
08-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Do you have your final documents from your TA? It should have all your reservation information on it.

eeyore_is#1
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but when you call an airline and book anything more than airfare, you are booking a package. Even if WestJet has only one telephone number and you were not transferred at all, you booked your package with WestJet Vacations, i.e. a Travel Agency.

The point of my paragraph was not to dispute the legal status of said entity, it was to point out that advice of "The company will call Disney on your behalf" is simply not true in this case.

As for requests you want to request connecting, not merely adjoining rooms. The former have a door between the rooms which allow access to both rooms without going outside; the latter merely means rooms that are next to or near each other.

Good advice. Too bad I can't use it, since no one will call Disney. :rotfl:

People keep mentioning "taking control" of the vacation. I really have no interest in doing that. All I wanted to do was confirm that Disney has the correct dates and number of folks in the party entered into their computers.

We've already seen several stories here about messed up reservations, both through TA's and through Disney. So allowing customers to double check things and prevent mistakes is a *good* thing, right? Both Disney and customer benefit. It preserves the agent relationship, as you have to go back to them to get updates and changes made, since the consumer would be "read only".

bavaria
08-24-2007, 09:39 AM
OP, several people have tried to explain that you have indeed booked via a travel agency, but you don't seem to understand how this impacts your ability to confirm and/or manage your booking with the supplier.

May I suggest that next time you book your travel yourself, or take the time to understand the implications of booking via a third party. It appears that using a travel agent may not be the best option for you, based on your posts.

The majority of travellers using travel agents to book rooms for their vacation do not have issues, so I would not be overly concerned. Best of luck.

eeyore_is#1
08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Do you have your final documents from your TA? It should have all your reservation information on it.

Final documents? :lmao: Sorry. Too funny. There are no "final" documents. A few minutes after you book, you get an email message listing the flights, the payment made, the resort name, a note that the package includes Magic your Way and Magical Express.

That's it. That's all you get. Take your email message to the airport, get on a plane, show up at Disney and say "Hi Mickey!". And hope Mickey doesn't say "Who the @#$%^ are you?" :laughing:

If you booked a year out, there won't be a single bit of communication from the company to you in the next year. It was five months in our case, and thus the source of the "Gee, maybe confirming this would be a good idea" feelings.

I've since learned that if you call them and ask them to re-send the email message, the second one will have the Disney confirmation number in it. That was from a Westjet employee who posted on here, but disboards management canceled their accounts and deleted all their messages.

eeyore_is#1
08-24-2007, 09:55 AM
OP, several people have tried to explain that you have indeed booked via a travel agency, but you don't seem to understand how this impacts your ability to confirm and/or manage your booking with the supplier.

I understand it perfectly. I even support the need to limit changes to the bookings etc to the TA.

I dispute the need for Disney and others to hide the current status and information from the end consumer.

bavaria
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I dispute the need for Disney and others to hide the current status and information from the end consumer.

This statement shows that you do not understand the situation. I suspect that my time here is wasted so I am unsubscribing.

cherylp3
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
You may want to ask this on the WestJet flyertalk forum at
http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=606

-Cheryl

TINKB72
08-24-2007, 10:48 AM
On my last trip to Disney in 2005 I booked thru AAA (as I did for the previous trips in 2002, 2003 & 2004 as well as this year's upcoming trip in December. :santa: ) I've always had luck with faxing my confirmation/requests to the resort directly. I just write a nice little letter confirming my arrival date, who's in the party and any of the requests (in order of importance) I have asked for when I booked the trip. I've never had any problems and usually get at least 1 if not all of the requests I've made. :goodvibes

eliza61
08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I understand it perfectly. I even support the need to limit changes to the bookings etc to the TA.

They are not "hiding" any thing from you. Until you check in, you are not their customer. WDW has privacy issues and regulations to adhere too just like any other business. Until you check in and the transfer takes place, their business is with WestJet NOT you and that is who they will legally deal with.

4MY2BOYS
08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
For our last WDW trip we booked through AAA. I called and confirmed all my ADRs and my reservation at the Wilderness Lodge. I am not sure which number I used. However, at the time I did not know that WDW would not confirm TA resrvations. The very nice CM did check for me and confirmed that our dates and location were in the WDW system -- I had to tell her exactly what we had booked and all she said was yes you are in the system. I was told that any other info, etc. I wanted I would have to go thru my TA.

diznyfanatic
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
The reason that people must deal directly with the party responsible for booking their travel is in large part, to protect the traveler (so that not just anybody can call the resort when they are filled to capacity and cancel someone's reservation in order to obtain a room for themselves) as well as to protect the travel provider from someone messing with a client's reservation for which they would ultimately be responsible for.

As has been pointed out here, this is the standard procedure in the entire travel industry and has nothing to do with Disney policy. You'd run into these same issues if you were staying at Universal, the Ritz or the Four Seasons if travel had been booked with a third party.

It really sounds like your beef here is with how WestJet handles their communications and confirmations. Have you tried calling WestJet's "Travel/Vacations" (or whatever department they call it) directly to discuss your issues and displeasure?

There has to be some sort of telephone number for them if they are booking travel for people and accepting payment for it.

This is the information and number I found for "WestJet Vacations" on their own website: Please phone 1-877-737-7001 during business hours.
Monday-Friday 6 am-7 pm MT, Saturday & Sunday 8 am-4:30 pm MT, closed on Canadian statutory holidays.

I would suggest calling that number, request them to have Disney FAX them the room confirmation information and in turn, have WestJet fax it to you so you'll have a copy to take with you.

drag n' fly
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
This is driving me nuts. We've got a tripped booked for next week, which we booked through Westjet Vacations, including air, Pop Century, tickets, etc.

So, being the prepared vacationer, we want to confirm our ressies etc are correct with Disney. Far too many stories of things being screwed up.

So, a month ago, we call Disney. They tell us they can't look anything up, we have to call our travel agent. Well, I know Westjet has the correct info, I want to make sure it's not screwed up on Disney's computer. So that's not really going to help, is it? :rolleyes:

So, finally on one call I get given the info that once we get within five days of our stay, I can call Pop Century, and confirm they have the correct dates, number of people in the room, and if available, I can request adjoining rooms without too far of a distance to go for our grandmother in a wheelchair, etc.

So, we're five days out tonight. I call Pop Century, they have no idea what we're talking about, and transfer us to to CRO again. And once again, they refuse to even confirm that we have a reservation.

This is bloody ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago, we were investigating joining the DVC. Now, I just want to cancel the whole freakin' vacation, it's so bloody annoying.

Always use a travel agent or book directly with Disney. Next time just find a travel agent who will book your flights and or vacation package for you if you want to book a package through Westjet. Westjet provides vacation packages. They are not technically travel agents. All you did was skip the middle man (that being the travel agent) and booked directly with the supplier. Your frustrations are noted however. You may want to let Westjet know your experience and mention better communication would have made foir a smaller headache. A Westjet representative posted on the Canadian board regarding your concerns. Were you able to follow up through her>?

kaytieeldr
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
The point of my paragraph was not to dispute the legal status of said entity, it was to point out that advice of "The company will call Disney on your behalf" is simply not true in this case. I went back and checked this thread again, in case I missed it. Nobody said your – or any – Travel Agent/Agency will make calls, just that they should, that this is one of the services provided by TAs, that using a Travel Service precludes the customer from contacting the end provider directly:
Your agent would have to call and check for you.
You used a travel agent. You have to talk to them.
Your agent is supposed to do the work for you so you DON'T need to call Disney
Your TA owns the reservation till the moment you check in call her and ask her to call disney for you
Your travel agent actually owns this booking and as such is the only one who can talk to Disney on your behalf.
Good advice. Too bad I can't use it, since no one will call Disney. You can still use the information when you approach the Front Desk. Knowing what you want, and the correct terminology, increases your chances of getting it – even then. And being willing to move the next day (if necessary, don’t offer this option up front) increases those chances even more.
Final documents? Sorry. Too funny. There are no "final" documents. A few minutes after you book, you get an email message listing the flights, the payment made, the resort name, a note that the package includes Magic your Way and Magical Express. So, let me see if I’ve got this straight. You paid this airline’s travel sideline in full five months in advance for a trip to Disney World for at least three people – and you’re worried about DISNEY?

diznyfanatic – thanks for that excellent effort and research!!!!

kaytieeldr
08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
OP, have you taken Disney's advice?
We assume Disney knows we're coming, but really have no way to confirm anything. There's no Disney confirmation or reservations numbers, etc. Calling them yields nothing, they tell you they can't look anything up and to call Westjet Vacations.

Huff
08-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Question 1 Answer: Actually it's standard policy within the travel industry.

Not sure that is true. I have booked hotels through travel agents and then confirmed the reservation with the hotel. Done this many times. Just not with Disney.

Also, Disney is about the only resort where one can't reserve a specific room type such as number of beds etc. You can ask for king, two doubles etc. but you get what Disney feels like giving you. I know of no other resort in the USA that does this.

grimley1968
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Not sure that is true. I have booked hotels through travel agents and then confirmed the reservation with the hotel. Done this many times. Just not with Disney.

Also, Disney is about the only resort where one can't reserve a specific room type such as number of beds etc. You can ask for king, two doubles etc. but you get what Disney feels like giving you. I know of no other resort in the USA that does this.

Maybe you have done this, but the travel agent would have had to give you confirmation numbers, and other private details so you can inquire directly with the hotel. So this still would be a TA issue for the OP, and not a problem with Disney itself.

If a hotel, or anyone, lets anyone just call up and confirm reservations without confirmation numbers, etc. they'd be running smack dab into privacy law issues.

If I was staying somewhere that confirmed information for just anyone calling, I would cancel that ressie pretty quickly, I can assure you.

Also, if you want a room with bunk beds, for instance, at WL, that is a specific room type which has its own pricing.

mom2taylorandemily
08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
We booked a trip with AAA last year and we had such a great time, we decided to book again with AAA this year and we extended our trip by 3 extra days. Going with a TA can be great, we got a great discount and she is a wonderful TA. Good Luck to the OP, I'm sure it can be frustrating, but just to let everyone know, last year I was able to call CRO and they infact did tell me that they did see my reservation but that they were unable to discuss it with me. But I didn't pursue the issue any further once the CM explained to me why they could discuss it with me. So, I then called my TA with my questions.

PixieMama
08-24-2007, 11:30 PM
We used a TA for our upcoming trip (1st time we have ever used a TA for any trip) and while I think our TA is a ncice lady, she seems a bit... well, we'll say "disorganized". So I thought I would call our Disney Resort and confirm that they do have our reservation on file, but was also told that I would have to go through the TA since we did not book directly through WDW. Which in a way makes sense, but it would give me a little more peace of mind knowing that Disney has us for what we are supposed to have booked. Guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope all is correct when we get there!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip! :)

marivaid
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Also, Disney is about the only resort where one can't reserve a specific room type such as number of beds etc. You can ask for king, two doubles etc. but you get what Disney feels like giving you..

That's not true. Except for Value resorts where king beds are usually reserved for handicap-accessible rooms, you can choose exactly which type of room you want ie : 2 beds or 1 king, bunk beds, ...

OP,you've been told about 30 times what the problem is yet you insist you know better than anyone. Disney is not responsible for the poor customer service you seem to be receiving from the company you booked your package with. At this point you are not Disney's customer, you're Westjet's.

castleeto
08-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Don't be mad at Disney.

Although people are using the phrase "TA" it's the same when you use a travel vendor. You did not book directly through Disney, you used a vendor apparently called WestJet, even if they are an airline with vacations as a smaller business segment - that's who you used. The vendor owns your ressie now. You gave control to the vendor and so things don't get changed without that vendor's knowledge, you have to go through them.

Actually "bad" can happen when someone goes around their vendor or TA, that is why the industry doesn't allow it. The vendor or TA is a someone to keep everything straight. It's not a Disney policy, it's a travel industry policy. If you had booked a Hawaii trip through Pleasant Hawaiian, you'd have the same kind of problem.

If you prefer to manage your vacation yourself, you'll need to book it yourself. Don't worry too much, it will most likely be wonderful, just make sure all your documents are correct, take them and any confirmation documents with you.

Have fun!

As a former airline reservations employee who frequently booked ressies for TAs, I will back up what the above DISer said. It felt awful to have a customer call and want to check on their reservation, and we would just have to refer them back to their TA. But if we didn't, the TA would get very angry since the customer is considered "their" customer. I agree that it is a really frustrating policy, but unfortunately, that's how it works for now. If you want to avoid that in the future, book directly. I'm very sorry for your frustration and hope you have a wonderful, smooth vacation!

petchie
08-25-2007, 06:36 AM
It really is to protect you. My sister ony books Disney with a Travel Agent so her ex's family cannot call and pretend to be her and get information on her trip. They are a tad vindictive and crazy.

She has to give the travel dates she is taking the kids to her ex, but now the crazy family cannot call and screw with her res.

NeverlandPixie
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM
If you booked via westjet.com, using your online profile, you may view your itinerary by logging into the website and choosing the option 'My Bookings'. You may also confirm your itinerary by calling their Sales Super Centre at 1-800-538-5696. You may request a copy of your itinerary via email or fax for future reference.

WestJet Vacations will also forward requests for specific room types, bedding configurations, and other room requests to the hotel; however they cannot guarantee they will be available.

Hope this helps.

TDC Nala
08-25-2007, 11:40 AM
In a third party booking, the travel agent or vendor is the primary reservation holder. Disney will discuss the reservation with the primary reservation holder. It's the agency or vendor's responsibility to provide you with information.

I hope no one will yell at the check-in desk person when they had nothing to do with any of this.

stacy6552
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
You really can't compair DVC with a travel-agent-in the middle-reservation. I have said countless times to countless people to always book directly with Disney (this includes not using the internet). Disney takes care of people like no one else. And as a DVC member we feel the love even more.

tasha99
08-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I used to work in Reservations for Royal Caribbean (both individual and group bookings) and we could never give direct guests information that was specific to their travel agent booking. What if the person calling was really a disgruntled ex who just wanted to mess things up? What if they were fishing for information? In groups, you often had several cooks trying to stir the soup in addition to the agent--believe me, that could be a nightmare.

Now with cruises, there were true emergencies. Occasionally a careless agent wouldn't get back to a client even if a name was spelled incorrectly. In those cases, if the cruise was leaving in a couple of days, I would call the agent myself and ask them to make the changes. I even had agents just give me the okay to change and release any information--that was fine. If I couldn't reach the agent, I would get a supervisor to approve the change, but I wouldn't even bother if there was more than a few days till sailing (since I knew the answer would be "have the agent call.")

Another issue is financial. At Royal Caribbean, guests who book directly get different invoices than travel agents do. For some reason, people tend to get ticked off if they find out their agent is earning commission on their cruise. Travel agents are supposed to work for free (:lmao: ) :confused3

tjmw2727
08-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Nobody is hiding anything, just protecting their customer which unfortunately is Westjet not you. FWIW any destination would handle the situation the same way. A cruise, a beach vacation, universal and Disney, when you book through any agency they own the reservation and your contract is with them not the destination.

To compare, its like me trying to call and check on your reservation - not OK. Westjet is the owner of the reservation, you paid them, they booked the vacation and they paid Disney not you. All Disney has on file is Westjet # XXX and as such they have no way to verify if XXX is you or me.

I am really sorry your having trouble with Westjet and I would be frustrated as well but it really isn't Disney but Westjet that is not cooperating with you. At this point I would just hold fast to all the information you have and relax. 99.9% of Disney reservations go smoothly, its the small % we hear about that makes us worry.

A related story - I once did a favor for my FIL and booked a r/t flight online for my mil & fil. The price was much better than booking via phone and they were unable to do it themselves online. Well my fil called all the time to check on the flight, confirm his seats, ask about meals etc and at one point inquired about changing seats. Long story short he messed up his seat assignment and then blamed me. I now totally understand why TA's work the way they do and I don't book flights for him anymore.

TJ

2forMe
08-25-2007, 03:49 PM
The point of my paragraph was not to dispute the legal status of said entity, it was to point out that advice of "The company will call Disney on your behalf" is simply not true in this case.

Good advice. Too bad I can't use it, since no one will call Disney. :rotfl:

People keep mentioning "taking control" of the vacation. I really have no interest in doing that. All I wanted to do was confirm that Disney has the correct dates and number of folks in the party entered into their computers.

We've already seen several stories here about messed up reservations, both through TA's and through Disney. So allowing customers to double check things and prevent mistakes is a *good* thing, right? Both Disney and customer benefit. It preserves the agent relationship, as you have to go back to them to get updates and changes made, since the consumer would be "read only".

Actually you can call West Jet vacations and speak to someone who can confirm your vacation package. I had looked into going to WDW through them not that long ago and spoke t a real live person and asked a bunch of questions.