PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever....

leahjade
08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
pay for a Savannah view at AKL and never see any animals? I'm really debating spending the extra money and taking the chance. I'd be bummed to spend so much extra and be disppointed.

spiceycat
08-23-2007, 04:42 PM
well I have never see a post about that.

considering the cost different would definitely expect anyone who saw no animals to be here complaining loudly!

kirbsam
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
you will see animals and plenty of them. disney has ways of making sure of that.

MAKmom
08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
This is something everyone should do. The bragging you get to do with your friends who say Disney again is pricless. It is unreal!

Cool-Beans
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, we do see animals, but they aren't always out there. It isn't like the planning video where you walk out and THERE THEY ARE! Sometimes they're there, sometimes they aren't. :)

One thing that disappoints me is that the animals don't hang out or walk much. They come, eat, and leave. I had more of a vision of animals just around, you know? Nothing wrong with the way it works, just different than I'd expected.

Not once has a giraffe come right up close to my balcony. I'm not saying it doesn't happen for some people, just that it doesn't happen for everyone.

zumbergc
08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
The animals kind of come in at feeding times. They put the food in different places, sometimes the same places. Different food for different animals, in different spots.

There aren't animals all the time in visable range. Sometimes you see them, sometimes not. It all depends on what time they are feeding, what time you get up, and luck of it. Generally we saw them several times a day.
If your ansy, you can look for them on the other savannahs.

Shell0616
08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
This is a great question! I would be so upset if I spent all that money and I didn't see animals!

Suzanne74
08-23-2007, 09:24 PM
This is a great question and I am signing in as AKL will be our next resort to go too after GF this Nov - probably next year.

klofan
08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
When I stayed there, the animals were ALWAYS out. It was unreal. Do it, its something you won't see at any resort.

kikiq
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
When we were 2 weeks ago, we spent alot of time talking to the savannah guides, this is what they told us...

There are specific groups of animals in each savannah. They are usually in the savannah all the time except for the early mornings when they are taken back to their pens to be examined and fed their "special" diets, vitamins and foods. They return to the savannah sometime in the morning.
The animals are not able to get close to the buildings or the viewing area fences because of the barely visible electric fences. The "fences" are tiny metal looking wires that you can barely see if you are just looking at the savannahs. They are in place to keep the animals away from the guests and the guests away from the animals.

There should be animals in the savannah 21/22 hours of the day. When we were visiting AKL, we saw a lot of animals including the red river hogs, which have become my dh's favorite animal to try to spot. I have to admit, seeing the mom and 2 babies behind her running across the savannah was cute.

Wendi2000
08-24-2007, 12:57 AM
There was NEVER a moment when I looked out and didn't see several animals from our room last year. It was fabulous. However, I must say that I just booked a standard room this time. There are so many places to see the animals all around the Lodge. I love the hotel, and I won't be broken if I can't see animals from my balcony - I know it is extremely easy to see them from so many other places and we don't spend a huge amount of time in our room. Especially since we'll only have 8 days on this trip - we'll be out and about much more, not much downtime.

pepe of ohio
08-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Well, we do see animals, but they aren't always out there. It isn't like the planning video where you walk out and THERE THEY ARE! Sometimes they're there, sometimes they aren't. :)

One thing that disappoints me is that the animals don't hang out or walk much. They come, eat, and leave. I had more of a vision of animals just around, you know? Nothing wrong with the way it works, just different than I'd expected.

Not once has a giraffe come right up close to my balcony. I'm not saying it doesn't happen for some people, just that it doesn't happen for everyone.

Our stay was of this variety, glad we were there for only 3 nights before moving to the Poly. Animals were few and far between, only when the browse truck came in and they would go to the feed spots. In the 3 days we were there, we saw the giraffe 3 times, one big horned steer and some gaxelle or Thompson deer but mostly odd bird and ducks here and there. Totally not worth the money on our occasion, because of this, and the view other when the animals are gone is just vegetation, not that lovely a sight, has turned us away from this resort plus being far away from the lights and glamour of the monorail loop resorts or EPCOT resorts. Its a grand resort, just too remote.

disneyholic family
08-24-2007, 02:36 AM
our room looked out onto an area of giraffes...
they had food in the trees, close to the building which drew the giraffes close to us...
we saw them every single day, for long periods of time...

Disney Fool
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
I must chime in here. Some folks who say they never saw animals were busy doing other things when the animals were out and about. The animals rule at AKL. If they don't want to go out on the Savannah, they are not forced to. The animals basically do what they want. If they're not roaming about in your viewing area, go to another area. There are plenty of viewing areas in the resort.
One of the funniest things I ever saw was an animal handler at AKL on the Savannah trying to place the food for the giraffes. The poor guy was being teased by the giraffes, they licked his head, grabbed his hat, nudged him--quite funny, because he was getting annoyed but he couldn't show it, and they wouldn't leave him alone! It's a great feeling--being able to sit out on your balcony, sip coffee and watch the show.

CapeCod53
08-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Actually we had a savannah view room that was really a pool view room. It was at the end of the hall & we went right down the stairs to the pool. The only animals we could see from the room were some ducks & flamingos right by the pool. We stayed at the end of the trip for R&R so we were around for 2 whole days. This was when the resort had just opened & only part of the resort was actually open. We had requested a savannah area that wasn't open yet(which we didn't know until we checked in). We also requested bunk beds because I had 2 teenagers, girl & boy & they did not want to share a bed, we didn't get that request either(this was before it was a separate price) whereas at the WL we always got our bunk bed request. We did see lots of animal at the resort but not from our room, we walked around outside & used the viewing areas inside. This was the only time I have ever gone back to the front desk to complain about a room & was told nothing else was available. If we ever stay here again, which is not likely, I would not pay for a savannah view.

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
We also ALWAYS had some animal outside our window. Probably because the cattle preferred it there (zebra trail toward front and the Rock) so even in the heat of the day, at least they were there. The other animals (zebra, giraffe etc) wandered around, but except for the hot part of the day, some of them usually were in sight too. We thought it was AWESOME!

corgi_monster
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Last year, we didn't spend much time looking for the animals. However, everytime we did look, there was always something out there. I was a bit dissapointed because most of the time, there were only birds out there! I believe that I saw a bunny or two, but they appear all over the place. Every once in a while, we'd see something really cool like a giraffe or a zebra. No meerkats, though.

PlutosFriend
08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
My first stay at AKL will be this October. I too am concerned about not seeing a lot of animals due to the construction noise tho.

leahjade
08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
I've been trying to get a price quote and can't find anything for AKL or villas for 5 people for next summer. Can everything be booked already??

WDW LifeLong Fan
08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
We've been very pleased with our Animal views during our stays at AKL. :)

SharonLowe
08-24-2007, 10:11 AM
I've been trying to get a price quote and can't find anything for AKL or villas for 5 people for next summer. Can everything be booked already??

There are no rooms at AKL that sleep 5 anymore unless you go for a suite or 2 rooms. AKV units will be hard to get because the DVC owners will grab them up first.

iluveeyore
08-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I just booked two nights at AKL at AP rate for Oct. :banana:
Although we've never stayed before, I got the standard room (no view), since we've visited several times and enjoy the many viewing spots around the resort for animals. Since we're only there two nights before we go to SSR, I didn't want to pay the extra for a view as we will be busy out and about all day. I'm sure when the DVC section is done, we will for sure get a savannah view at our 1 bedroom though - this is a quick side trip for my DH's 40th, our family vacations are usually two weeks long with lots of down time, so a balcony over the savannah will be a definite must!
I think it's worth it to pay the extra if you'll be spending more time in your room with more opportunity to enjoy the view - if not, I'd just get the cheaper room and catch a glimpse of the animals when you're out in the resort somewhere.

SharonLowe
08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Last year, we didn't spend much time looking for the animals. However, everytime we did look, there was always something out there. I was a bit dissapointed because most of the time, there were only birds out there! I believe that I saw a bunny or two, but they appear all over the place. Every once in a while, we'd see something really cool like a giraffe or a zebra. No meerkats, though.

There are no meerkats at AKL so I am not surprised you didn't see any;)

What you see will depend on where your room is located. We've always had better luck on the Zebra Trail but this year we were on Kudu Trail near Arusha Rock and saw plenty at various times during the day. We were near the storks pond so saw them a lot plus all the Florida critters and birds who have discovered that the AKL is a nice place to live:rotfl: We have stayed at AKL many times over the years and it seems that it is getting harder for WDW to keep the non-African birds and animals away - they try different feeding tricks but the others seem to find a way. Just check out the baby ducks at the flamingo pool:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/92445AKL_06212007_F0F5478-med.jpg

spiceycat
08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
boy really surprised at how many of you had lousy views with a SV. I though a SV room was a guaranteed view of the animals. So where were you with the lousy or for that matter good or great view?

if you want a AKV 1-bedroom (sleeps 5) then go rent a reservation from a DVC member.

they probably won't be available to the general public until Jan - about 6 months before your arrival. DVC member can get them at 11 months before arrival - if you find a DVC member that owns at AKV.

I though there were deluxe rooms on other floors - DVC is only using the 5th and 6th floor.

weren't there some on the 4th floor? now there will be construction noise - which might not allow you to book now. but most of the nasty noise is surpose to be gone by Dec. So not sure what the problem could be.

leahjade
08-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I thought there were some larger rooms available to the public - maybe they are few and far between. I've tried numerous weeks with no luck. Maybe I would do better calling than using the online system.

shyjade
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM
We were in a Savannah room last year and the animals were very far away, only once were they anywhere near our "building". Certainly nothing like what the AKL propoganda shows and I would never pay for a Savannah view again because its not worth the risk of getting another lousy room again.

BUT, that being said, there WERE pleanty of awesome Savannah view rooms and I would say most guests do have a decent view. We were just in a very lousy location when we stayed there.

luvmarypoppins
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Well our experience is from when AKL opened so I am sure things are lots different now, but yes we paid for the view and virtually saw NO animals the whole time we were there. It was terrible. The only time we saw them was when the guy came with the feed truck and then you would see them. We were joking with our british balcony mates next door each day. Sometimes we saw a few animal butts but that was it. It didnt matter what time the day or night it was. Because of our bad experience our ds have asked never to stay there again and we havent. Oh wait, we did see about 3 giraffe in the public viewing area on our way out the hotel at 5 am when we were getting our shuttle back to the airport!! I know people know say they see lots of animals and that is good but it was not our experience.

Cindie-rella
08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
I can't imagine not seeing any animals from your room at AKL. Maybe it's the time of year ?:confused3 We were there in early March. Perhaps it's the area/savannah you are at. We were placed at a watering hole so we had plenty of animals all times of the day. One day we returned to our room mid-afternoon and every animal prominent to our savannah was there and plenty of them. Plus we had certain animals bed down for the night around the watering hole. We walked all around the resort and seen plenty of animals everywhere, but I'm sure there are times when they're in hiding or gathered somewhere else.
Honestly. I would not be concerned. If you paid for a SV I'm sure you will see lots of animals. I heard from many people that they paid for standard views and many were upgraded for free to a SV. Perhaps they give the rooms that have less animals around to the "free" upgrades?:confused3 Just a thought. Also, I'm sure if you don't see anything after a day or 2 you can request a different room.
AKL is an awesome resort. It's like getting 2 vacations in 1 ! You will not find anything like this anywhere else in America that I know of. Disney does not disappoint and IMHO this has to be one of their best idea's ever!!!!:thumbsup2
Relax...you're going to LOVE it!!!!! :yay:

PlutosFriend
08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
We were in a Savannah room last year and the animals were very far away, only once were they anywhere near our "building". Certainly nothing like what the AKL propoganda shows and I would never pay for a Savannah view again because its not worth the risk of getting another lousy room again.

BUT, that being said, there WERE pleanty of awesome Savannah view rooms and I would say most guests do have a decent view. We were just in a very lousy location when we stayed there.

Do you remember your exact location?