PDA

View Full Version : Flying toasters

Ish&DrJones
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I know this is probably a stupid question, and I'm sure I know the answer, but I promised DH that I'd ask.

Do any of the non-suite, non-DVC rooms at AKL have toasters? We're planning to bring Pop Tarts for breakfast to save money and DH wants to bring our toaster with us because he doesn't want to eat them cold ... which would be fine, except we're flying! I told him that he can't pack the toaster, it's too heavy (and bulky). Not to mention they'd probably think it was a bomb and arrest him. He just said "I'll make room". Sigh.

I know you can ship things to yourself, but DH wouldn't go for that. He'll want it the day we fly and then as soon as we get there. I've also told him there are probably toasters in the food areas (where people buy breakfast) but he doesn't like the idea of a "communal" toaster :scared:

Is there any way to have a toaster in the room, other than bringing/shipping it myself? And if not, any suggestions on how to placate my insane husband and his toasting obsession?

jel0511
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
There are no toasters in any non DVC room and I don't believe they're allowed, hence the "communal" toasters in food courts.

Ish&DrJones
08-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Not allowed? Hmm, well that will put a damper on DH's packing plans anyway. I guess cold pastries or communal toasters it is :rolleyes:

Lisann
08-23-2007, 01:18 PM
If it doesn't fit, and you have a rental car, you can just pick one up at a store on your way to WDW. Seems that if you shipped one, you would be spending almost as much in postage, right?

I don't know how he will fit it in the suitcase.

Chantilly
08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Or you could pack a roll of waxed paper. The rooms have an iron and board. Sandwich the Tart between two sheets of waxed paper and press gently with the iron on its lowest setting. :love:

It's a little more involved than toasting but just as tasty! Just don't use steam and use only the very gentlest pressure!

And no, I'm not joking. We weren't allowed toasters in our college dorm rooms, either.

peel
08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Or you could pack a roll of waxed paper. The rooms have an iron and board. Sandwich the Tart between two sheets of waxed paper and press gently with the iron on its lowest setting. :love:

It's a little more involved than toasting but just as tasty! Just don't use steam and use only the very gentlest pressure!

And no, I'm not joking. We weren't allowed toasters in our college dorm rooms, either.

Yeah, didn't you ever see Mr. Mom? Be resourceful! :lmao:

bgbodnar
08-23-2007, 02:31 PM
There are toasters in the food area that you can use. If he doesn't like that idea, try those cereal bars, my grandkids love them, thats what I'm going to go.

TimmyP
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Chantilly:

For your idea, you deserve a "BRILLIANT!" (per the Guiness commercials)!

:thumbsup2

KJ Luvs Pluto
08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Before going through the trouble of packing a toaster, I would check with the resort to see if they are allowed in the room. I think toasters are considered a fire hazard, that's why they do not have them in the rooms only in the food courts. At least you would be able to tell your husband "Sorry sweetie - you'll have to eat them cold or toast them at the community toaster" :rolleyes1

Chantilly
08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Chantilly:

For your idea, you deserve a "BRILLIANT!" (per the Guiness commercials)!

:thumbsup2

Thanks! It was an idea born of desperation.

Mmmmmm.....Guinness...... :drinking1

MiamiBeach
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Only a husband would insist on bringing the family toaster on vacation!! It's just the sort of hare-brained idea MY husband would come up with. You have my sympathies:flower3:

cigar95
08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
I thought this was a thread about old screen savers.

(Don't worry if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about!)

simonkodousek
08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
If you'll have a rental car while you are in Florida, you can go to a Wal-Mart and pick one up very cheaply, then just leave it in the room after you leave. :)

If that is not an option, I would use the food court's toasters.

mathgeek
08-23-2007, 08:30 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

autumnbaby9
08-23-2007, 10:25 PM

Why do I keep picturing Johnny Depp, an iron and grilled cheese.

I think I may have to try this :rotfl:

Wendi2000
08-23-2007, 11:26 PM
OK... definitely tell him that he is insane... hahaha!!! Why won't he use the toaster in the Mara? If anyone threatened to pack a crumb-filled toaster in my luggage I'd probably "forget" the Pop Tarts at home just to sabatage their evil plans!!! Maybe you should just bring cereal instead - you can grab a big milk in the giftshop for a snack credit (if you're on the dining plan) or probably less than the cost of the Pop Tarts anyway. What about instant oatmeal? You can make hot water in the coffee pot...

kaytieeldr
08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Or you could pack a roll of waxed paper. The rooms have an iron and board. Sandwich the Tart between two sheets of waxed paper and press gently with the iron on its lowest setting. Or pack a good strong magnfying glass and request a room with direct early morning sun on the balcony.

ExtinctDino
08-24-2007, 08:34 AM
1. Toast them at the food court.
2. Eat them raw.
3. Heat them with a hair dryer.
4. Try going a few days without Pop Tarts.

Ish&DrJones
08-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Do they sell soy milk in the gift shops/food areas? If so, cereal wouldn't be bad, but Pop Tarts are sooo much easier (can carry them to the bus stop).

I told Dh about the iron idea and he looked at me like I was nuts. I told him, it's the iron, cold pastries or a communal toaster, your choice. There will be no appliances in the luggage! I think he's accepted it, if a bit stubbornly.:rotfl:

harvardx
08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Hooray for Ish&DrJones! The ironing idea may have convinced him to accept a rational, if less acceptable, alternative. Yes they are a fire hazard! My husband was a fireman and is "phobic" about the placement of our toaster. And yes I have the screen saver.

Chantilly
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Do they sell soy milk in the gift shops/food areas? If so, cereal wouldn't be bad, but Pop Tarts are sooo much easier (can carry them to the bus stop).

Silk is available - or was last November. I think it was the 1 quart bottle. I had enough for a week's worth of coffee anyway and I'm a caffeine addict. ;)

Cathy baby RN
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
We bring a toaster (the one that places the Mickey Mouse song when the toast pops up:rotfl2: ) everytime we go. It's left out on the table and no one has ever said a word. I make sure it is unplugged when we leave the room.

girli565
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM

OMG Hahaha, I thought the same thing!!

spiceycat
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
you could ask housekeeping when you arrive.

I know they got kept extra for the DVC units in case they break. So they definitely have them.

hey if they will deliver a mircowave to a non- DVC room - don't see how a toaster would be a problem.

when are you going - will be there Sept 16 - 21 - so you can come use my toaster if you need too.

Chester's Mum
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
May 6-22/07 I bought one of those $8.98 toasters from Wal Mart and put it in my checked luggage. Toronto-Orlando. Not a word was said. We also had a waterpik (ds has braces), 2 bags of bagels, a jar of peanut butter, a plastic container with butter, a box of cereal, some granola bars, tea bags, a plastic container of sugar, and 2 very large dairy milk chocolate bars. I was surprised they didn't meet me at MCO with a straight jacket. :banana:

We threw away the toaster, ate most of the food, and threw away the rest. I had almost a whole suitcase to bring home my souvenirs in.:cool1:

Kiddeokee
08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
May 6-22/07 I bought one of those $8.98 toasters from Wal Mart and put it in my checked luggage. Toronto-Orlando. Not a word was said. We also had a waterpik (ds has braces), 2 bags of bagels, a jar of peanut butter, a plastic container with butter, a box of cereal, some granola bars, tea bags, a plastic container of sugar, and 2 very large dairy milk chocolate bars. I was surprised they didn't meet me at MCO with a straight jacket. :banana:

We threw away the toaster, ate most of the food, and threw away the rest. I had almost a whole suitcase to bring home my souvenirs in.:cool1:

I must agree... buy a CHEAP toaster & pack it in... If you don't have room for it when you leave Disney, leave it there. Don't make your hubby go without his warm poptarts. Certain things are important to each of us (even if they sound silly to others.) It's something small that will make him happy. Don't worry about if it's not allowed... if someone says something - then deal with it from there.

I take a small fan with me to have in my room & trip up the motion sensors. some may laugh, but it sure is nice at the end of a long day.

Enjoy your trip!

Chester's Mum
08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd like to add that I unplugged the toaster after every use just to be safe, but I left it out on the small table in the room at CSR. Housekeeping never seemed to have a problem with it. Nothing was said.