PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Blue Bayou!

poohs_hunny
08-20-2007, 07:27 PM
I want to make a reservation for Blue Bayou for my Oct. trip, and tomorrow is my 60 day mark. I have read the thread about making a 11:30 lunch reservation to assure a waterside table. Do they serve straight though until dinner or is there a first dinner seating? If so, what time? I don't know if I should book for lunch or dinner, but I want a waterside table. Thanks!

biolabetty
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I believe they serve straight through, no break for the dinner rush. We ate there last week at 3:30 as walk-ins, lots of empty tables. By the time we were finished around 4:45, the restaurant was full, and the front wait area was extremely crowded, I'm guessing that was the early dinner crowd. I highly recommend going at the 11:30 time, that's when we usually book, but make sure you are there at least 15 minutes early. We got there once directly at 11:30 and couldn't get a waterside table because we were too late, everyone else had got there early to check in.

blackjackdelta
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I thought I read last week there was a 1/2 hour closed time between lunch and dinner. We had 1130 ressie's, checked in 1112 and were seated at 1125 waterside for 6. Food and service were excellent.

Jack

noryglory
08-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I'd do lunch.

1. You're guaranteed waterside if you get an 11:30 PS.

2. I think it's more striking to go into a "nighttime" setting during the middle of the day.

3. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can only get the famous Monte Cristo sandwich at lunch.

4. I think the prices are cheaper. Anyone know for sure?

Get on that phone and call the minute the line opens up!!

gnbuggy
08-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Check this out. Nice lists of restaurants with menus. I found it very helpful while deciding if we wanted to eat there.
http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

XTinabell
08-21-2007, 08:23 AM
hm that's interesting...I prefer dinner time personally because I love the tesoro island chicken and you can't get that at lunch and I'm not a huge fan of the heart attack monte cristo :rotfl2: So I too would love to know for certain if there is a first dinner slot. If not, it's a good idea to eat at an odd hour - from 5 -7 I heard are the peak dinner times so eat before then maybe at like 4:30. Our dinner reservation last year was rather late and by the time we were done eating the restaurant was closed but I can't remember what time that was.

deletedpenguin
08-21-2007, 10:30 AM
There are a few choices for lunch, but the dinner menu is much more in depth. I had the filet mignon over the weekend there, and although I enjoyed the experience, the meat was really salty. Great ambiance though. Here's a shot I took.

http://www.theswedersens.net/stefan/blue.jpg

we3disneygo
08-21-2007, 10:40 AM
:banana: we went in June and had a 11:30 reservation, we were the first ones to check, as there was a long line of people trying to check in or get in to eat that day, the lady told us they seat in order of check in. we sat and waited and we were the first ones to be seated, they even let us pick which table by the water we wanted and we got to keep the menu's !! have fun!:wizard:

poohs_hunny
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I just got off the phone and got a 11:30 PS. I just realized that I didn't get a confirmation number - is this normal? I am used to making reservations at WDW and I always get a confirmation #.

Misskitty3
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think they give conf #'s -- I didn't get any when I made my PS's last week.

I believe the menu prices are the same for lunch and dinner. You also can only get the Monte Cristo at lunch -- they don't offer it at dinner.

We will be going on Oct 16th for lunch as "first timers".:banana:

DisneySuiteFreak
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't think they give conf #'s -- I didn't get any when I made my PS's last week.

I believe the menu prices are the same for lunch and dinner. You also can only get the Monte Cristo at lunch -- they don't offer it at dinner.

We will be going on Oct 16th for lunch as "first timers".:banana:

When I made my PS ressies, the CM told me my last name was my confirmation number without me even asking for one. I called yesterday and got an 11:30 seating for Oct 13. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get one for that time because it's a Saturday but I guess they still had some available. Yee haw! :dance3:

jnjusoioa
08-21-2007, 12:22 PM
There are a few choices for lunch, but the dinner menu is much more in depth. I had the filet mignon over the weekend there, and although I enjoyed the experience, the meat was really salty. Great ambiance though. Here's a shot I took.

http://www.theswedersens.net/stefan/blue.jpg

This picture is beautiful, I wish I was there!!!:goodvibes

deletedpenguin
08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I believe the menu prices are the same for lunch and dinner.

Unfortunately they aren't. Four of us went for dinner this weekend and with no appetizers and just sodas all around, our bill was around $190.

bumbershoot
08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately they aren't. Four of us went for dinner this weekend and with no appetizers and just sodas all around, our bill was around $190.

Are the prices here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG401) wrong?

Trying to plan for cost, but if they keep changin' the prices on me, how will I know what to budget!? Crazy disney....:upsidedow

DisneySuiteFreak
08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm on a diet and I was wondering if any of you know if adults are allowed to order off the kids menu? I was going to get Prime Rib, but if the kids portion is 5 oz that's more than my diet allows, so I really don't want to order the adults sized portion.

biolabetty
08-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I've seen adults at tables next to us order off of the kids' menu, and my 19 year old son was also allowed to.

cwoob
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
omg.. how far in advance do you have to make reservations? I am going in sept. but i was told by a CM that we could call the same day to reservations. I don't really care if i get waterside or not... i've also been told that I can go in early morning... please let me know.. it'll be a real bummer if it turns out that i have to call month in advance. p.s i am shooting for late lunch early dinner.

cwoob
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
omg.. how far in advance do you have to make reservations? I am going in sept. but i was told by a CM that we could call the same day to reservations. I don't really care if i get waterside or not... i've also been told that I can go in early morning... please let me know.. it'll be a real bummer if it turns out that i have to call month in advance. p.s i am shooting for late lunch early dinner.

blackjackdelta
08-21-2007, 06:53 PM
I've seen adults at tables next to us order off of the kids' menu, and my 19 year old son was also allowed to.

I asked the BB lead about this last week and they will let you order the items but for adult portions and adult prices.

Jack

bumbershoot
08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Well, the reservations for each date open 60 days out.

But I'm sure, especially in Sept, even more so with your flexible time, you have a good probability to get a that-day res. But why not call and make a reservation now with Disney Dining, if you know the date?

poohs_hunny
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
You also can only get the Monte Cristo at lunch -- they don't offer it at dinner.

Hmmm... Tell me about the Monte Cristo - it's a sandwich? I read the description on the menu, and it wasn't clear that it was a sandwich. From the description, I thought it was turkey layered with ham and cheese, sort of like a cordon bleu type thing. Is the sandwich fried?? How does it taste? It sounds great...

DisneySuiteFreak
08-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by biolabetty

I asked the BB lead about this last week and they will let you order the items but for adult portions and adult prices.

Jack

Thanks!

natenapril
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hmmm... Tell me about the Monte Cristo - it's a sandwich? I read the description on the menu, and it wasn't clear that it was a sandwich. From the description, I thought it was turkey layered with ham and cheese, sort of like a cordon bleu type thing. Is the sandwich fried?? How does it taste? It sounds great...

It is a sandwich. I have never had the Blue Bayou one but it sounds great!

DisneyMomma81
08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I just made our PS for Sept. 25 @ 11:30!

Shannon
DS 7
DD 4
Goin' to D~Land Sept. 24-26, Gramma's comin' with us!

JennsBabySky
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM

We live relatively close to Disneyland and many of our trips are impromptu. We often make reservations for Blue Bayou the day of our trip. However, we are successful about 60% of the time. We have better luck on weekdays and less crowded days. Personally, if you don't want to miss it, I'd make reservations. There are no penalties if you cancel. Then, once you're there, you can always change your reservations to a better time. At least that way you can have a back up plan if they are booked up.

biolabetty
08-22-2007, 02:26 AM
We went on the spur of the moment 2 weeks ago and couldn't get a same day reservation. The CM on the dining line suggested that we try a walk-in at either 11:30 or after 2:00. We did exactly that around 3:30 and were immediately seated, so if you can't get a same day time, try going around those times and see if you can get in. There were a lot of open tables, but by the time we were done a little over an hour later, it was crowded again.

joeysmommy
08-22-2007, 02:42 AM
We ate at BB last September and although the ambiance is wonderful, $150 for lunch just didn't feel right. That was for 4 adults and 2 kids meals.

We had 12pm ressies and the place was packed when we were seated.
Definitely go for the 11:30 ressie. We did not get a waterside table. I'm sure if we did my son would not have had the meltdown that he had. Not that he was upset we didn;t get a great table, but it would have been a great distraction for him.

When I called at the 60 day mark for our upcoming trip I was told 11:40 was the earliest ressie you could make for lunch.

This year we'll do dessert at 11:30.
Yes, that's decadent, but hey we're on vacation.

We'd rather splurge on a a nice dinner at Yamabuki.

annieb727
08-22-2007, 03:41 AM

Monte Cristo is the MOST INCREDIBLE sandwich! It's fried - with meat and cheese inside. It comes with a dipping sauce (rapsberry, I think?) and there is powdered sugar sprinkled on the sandwich. It sounds weird...but it REALLY works together. I was nervous the first time I tried it...but OMG! It's decadent! I've never had anything like it (well, except for the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans). We're going in Sept, and I know exactly what I'll be ordering! :cloud9:

DisneySuiteFreak
08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
This is our first time going to eat at BB. We booked a little less than 60 days out an we got PS for 11:30 AM. :yay:

disneegrl4eva
08-22-2007, 08:52 AM

I'd do lunch.

4. I think the prices are cheaper. Anyone know for sure?

they are cheaper at lunch but not by much

Are the prices here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG401) wrong?

Trying to plan for cost, but if they keep changin' the prices on me, how will I know what to budget!? Crazy disney....:upsidedow

bumbershoot...that site doesnt show current pricing most of the time....heres a link that is...
http://www.allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_bay.htm

yes it is a turkey and ham sandwich with swiss cheese and its quarterd and then dipped in this batter thats a cross between tempura and funnel cake batter....its fried and then they put powdered sugar on it and serve it will a raspberry sauce...its amazing and just so you know...Cafe Orleans sells the same sandwich any time of the day and its way cheaper...

cwoob
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
what are the hours for the bb?:confused3 I think I'll switch it to dinner. I guess the real question here is.. how late they opened?

mikayla73
08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
We had reservations at 11:30 when we went in May, we checked in 15 min early, and got the VERY last waterside table available. I would say if you want to get a waterside table, check in as soon as you can before your 11:30 reservation. I don't think just having an 11:30 reservations guarantees a waterside table.

Our food was excellent and we had great service .. here are a few pics ...
wedge salad .. I liked it DH not so much.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/dne42503/100_1246.jpg

He loved the gumbo though
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/dne42503/100_1247.jpg

childs plate
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/dne42503/100_1248.jpg

1/2 portion of seafood jamablaya (splitting an entree saves some $ and you both still get the sides)
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/dne42503/100_1254.jpg

Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/dne42503/100_1255.jpg

heatherleigh
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I am still considering this place for our fall trip. I suppose I will get PS arrangements made, rather than walking in.

I'm not sure what to expect w/ the food (the reviews I read are 50/50- people love it or hate it.) I think I should try it anyway. I know my husband will hate it, but my mom will probably enjoy the food.

I'll have to ask about the "water view" whatever that is. I would like to make the most of our experience when we do go.

tynkrbell1977
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I love the Blue Bayou. It is one of my favorite restaurants. LOL Lunch is cheaper. At least it used to be. We didnt eat there last time since we went to Club 33. But yes Monte Cristo is only at lunch. :sad1: I am not sure about adults ordering off the childrens menu. :confused3 I dont think there would be a problem with it though. I have ordered kids meals in other restaurants at the park. Maybe give them a call and ask?? Have a yummy time!! :smickey:

cwoob
09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
i had dinner here. We made the ressie for 8:00 & i checking in 30 before. But they told me that a waterside table was about 45 min. wait, even with the ressie. so i said forget it. I'm starving so we checking in about 15 min. before . it didn'ttake too long. service was wonderful. my salad was drenched in the dressing/oil. made it really hard to eat. I had the chicken w/ the potatoes & the veggies. IT was soooooo good.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1110/1353833602_c1472c9c52_m.jpg" width="240" height="180" alt="Blue Bayou Dinner
I was sadly.. too full for dessert. But it gives me a reason to go back. lol