PDA

View Full Version : When boarding ride, what do u do w/ your fanny-pack or backpack?

CardinalsFan
08-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm getting Disney fanny-packs for my girls (to be left out for them by "Tinkerbell" during our first evening in the hotel), and I suspect we'll bring along some sort of backpack for the camera plus all the other stuff we may need/want while in the parks.

Having never been, I'm wondering what the CMs ask you to do with these packs when it's time to board a ride... may we keep the fanny-packs secured around our waists, or will they interfere with the safety restraints on some rides?

As for the backpack, I'm assuming that on most rides it cannot be worn nor brought on-board the ride. So, is it safe to lay it off to the side, and then retrieve it when exiting the ride?

Are there any designated areas (at each ride) for riders to store their belongings while they ride?

And lastly, assuming it will be possible to temporarily store our packs while we ride, what's the chance of someone stealing a pack while we ride? The "pickpocketing" thread has me paranoid...

What do you veterans do with your fanny-packs and backpacks when it's time to board a ride?

Thanks!

arliepooh68
08-17-2007, 09:04 AM
i've never had an issue with my fanny pack, it stays on me at all times. the times we have brought the backpacks there is only one ride it would be an issue and that is screamin cuz of the loop, but i have two that won't ride it so they become in charge of the backpack, oh and that orange zinger thing (the swing ride). . . otherwise the backpack sits at our feet during the ride.

iceskatejen
08-17-2007, 09:18 AM
You take them with you. On Screamin', just put your leg through one of the straps. I do this all the time. On Maliboomer and Orange Stinger, they have bins you can put your stuff in.

DisneySuiteFreak
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
When I took a backpack, the CM told me I had to be able to wear it. I would worry that it would develop legs if you just left it on the side, especially if you have any kind of valuables in it. I have heard of people leaving stuff in their strollers and coming back to find the whole stroller w/stuff in it gone :eek: -- and these are strollers they bring with them. Even though it's Disney, there are other elements and people in the parks who don't have the same morals that we may have, right? :sad2: Plus, on most of the rides, you board on one side and disembark on the other side -- so there's really no way to get your bag back from the other side without holding up people wanting to board the ride. I don't think the CMs will allow you to do this. Can you imagine on peak attendance days if everyone wanted to leave their bags on the side of the ride to be retrieved later? :scared1:
You may want to consider turning the backpack around and wearing it on your frontside and then put the lap bar down around it. I don't know if they will allow it, but it wouldn't be any worse than if you were a larger proportioned person with a stomach issue. Maybe a CM can weigh in??? Come to think of it, I think I recall one CM telling me I had to be able to wear the bag and the lap bar had to be able to come down or I couldn't ride a particular ride. (Can't recall if it was at Universal or Disneyland...:confused: ) Any CMS out there?
The fanny packs are fine. On the rare occasion when I've overstuffed my fanny pack, I just raise it up over the bar and pull the bar down to my lap.:thumbsup2

iceskatejen
08-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I put my backpack on the floor at my feet (except POTC--it sits on the seat next to me--I don't want a wet backpack. On roller coasters and rough rides, I just put one leg through the straps. That works just fine.

brenda1966
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Like the other posters have said, you can't leave your bag and pick it up when you exit the ride. Many of DL's rides exit in a completely different area than you load (unlike most carnival type rides where you exit and load in the same place).

I just wear my fanny pack and turn it to the side when there is a roller coaster type lap bar. I also do the leg through the arm strap thing for the backpack when I have one. On some of the faster rides there is a small net basket to put things in, but a backpack wouldn't fit, hats and fanny packs would.

I'm not sure what I would do with a backpack on Splash. I think you'd need to just hold it on your lap.

I always take a stroller and have left our backpack in it often. I don't leave any valuables in it (those are on me in the fanny pack) and so far haven't had any trouble with it being taken.

Have a great first visit!

Abby's Dad
08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
One of the reasons we chose the Bagalini messenger bag is the fact that it can just be swung around to the front so easily for riding the rides, as well as getting into it.

Pirate-Emery
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
My Ripcurl bag is my "horcrux." I've had it for years, and some of the straps have broken off: but I still consider it to be my good luck charm.

So, it is constantly on my person, a little extension of my soul. So it is no surprise that I take it into the parks to carry the camera/sweatshirt/foodstuffs.

But the trickiest part has always been, "where do I put this bag?"

The answer is usually very easy: many rides have the "pouch": a velcro-sealed bag where you can put your hat/belongings. Usually, as soon as I get into the car, it is a mad dash to stuff my bag in there before the ride starts. This especially comes in handy on California Screamin', Indiana Jones, and Big Thunder Mountain.

But there is one ride that is the "bane" of my existence.

The Twilight Zone... Tower of Terror! :scared:

It has no pouch, whatsoever, so I am forced to be a human pretzel and tangle my legs in the arm straps. I did once ask the CM if I could just place it outside, but he said "nay."

Sk8Leigh
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I have both a fanny pack and a backpack, and I wear the fanny pack all the time, and on rides I put the backpack on the floor. If it's a ride where it could fly out, I stick my feet through the loops. On Soarin', they let you leave it on the ground over at the end of the row, and you pick it up on the way out. (I have my camera in it and the first time I rode that I put it under the seat like you were supposed to, and I was scared during the whole ride that it would fall out.)

For water rides, I just take it on, and I haven't had a problem with the things inside getting wet, even on Splash when I was in the front row and got soaked. But that might depend on the kind of backpack.

Hound 109
08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm getting Disney fanny-packs for my girls (to be left out for them by "Tinkerbell" during our first evening in the hotel), and I suspect we'll bring along some sort of backpack for the camera plus all the other stuff we may need/want while in the parks.

Having never been, I'm wondering what the CMs ask you to do with these packs when it's time to board a ride... may we keep the fanny-packs secured around our waists, or will they interfere with the safety restraints on some rides?

As for the backpack, I'm assuming that on most rides it cannot be worn nor brought on-board the ride. So, is it safe to lay it off to the side, and then retrieve it when exiting the ride?

Are there any designated areas (at each ride) for riders to store their belongings while they ride?

And lastly, assuming it will be possible to temporarily store our packs while we ride, what's the chance of someone stealing a pack while we ride? The "pickpocketing" thread has me paranoid...

What do you veterans do with your fanny-packs and backpacks when it's time to board a ride?

Thanks!

Cardinal Fan, I'm not sure how old your kids are, but with my family we have ONE backpack (which carries everything) & i wear cargo shorts.

No fannys & definitely no fannys for the kiddo. I'd be carrying my kid's fanny pack around by the third ride. (assuming he didn't lose it).

Keep the kids hands free & fanny pack free so they can spill dole whips on the ground & hug Pooh Bear & Mickey. :thumbsup2

DangerMouse
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the free locker rentals outside GRR. You can put your pack/purse/extra clothing etc. in a locker outside GRR for I believe up to 2 hours for FREE. If you go over the allotted time, they will charge you to get into the locker, but it's free for a designated period of time.

On all the other rides, we have had no problem storing the backpack at our feet or spinning it around and wearing it on our front (on ToT, for example). On Splash, I just make sure the pack is not on the bottom of the log (it WILL get wet there). I usually wear it on my front or hug it in front of me.

CardinalsFan
08-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks Hound, but I just bought the fanny packs on eBay this morning. I'll have to see how it goes, and report back. My girls are only 7 and 4, so you may be right about it not going well, but I'm hopeful.

Mililani Mouser
08-17-2007, 07:57 PM
i wear a waist bag and have not had problems doing so, except on the roller coaster where they ask you to remove it. one time i did go on a few of the water rides with my cellphone clipped onto the waist strap. some water splashed into where the battery charger connects and that rusted. i had to get a new cellphone. now when i go on the water rides, i have to put my cell in a place it won't get wet, or give it to DH.
:banana:

basketballmom
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
On our first trip to DL, my DD5 had a string backpack type bag. She took it off and left it on snow white :rolleyes: and we didn't notice until 2 rides later.
The next summer, when she was 6, we got her a fanny pack. It was pink with minnie and a small water bottle holder. She NEVER took it off. It was great! She carried a small bottle of water,(some of) her own money, mini fan, fruit snacks, and mini spray water bottle. The bag worked great. She would either leave it at the front of her waist on rides or turn it around without taking it off where the pouch was at her back. She rode everything from grizzly to soarin' to space, splash and big thunder. NO problems whatsoever!

abby
08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
My trick to keeping the fanny pack on the kid is putting small snacks in it she can eat at will. Also, she loves to carry a map of the park in her fanny, makes her feel grownup.

AmericanItGirl
08-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I have a small sling backpack (goes over one shoulder) that fits into pouches or can easily be swung around to the front to sit on my lap. If you have a kid who doesn't want to ride the scary rides (like Splash or Thunder) then have them hold the bags (usually they can wait on the exit side with a CM).

Hound 109
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks Hound, but I just bought the fanny packs on eBay this morning. I'll have to see how it goes, and report back. My girls are only 7 and 4, so you may be right about it not going well, but I'm hopeful.

Maybe it's a girl /boy thing. :lmao:

Sounds like the girls (based on the posters above) take better care of fanny packs (& probably everything else) than my boy would. Any way you do it....you'll be in DLR so it will be a great time. :thumbsup2

heatherleigh
08-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I remember being able to bring the backpack on all the rides. That was very nice, because I was also concerned about our stuff getting stolen.

DLR29
08-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I always kept the bag with me. On the rougher rides, I would put a strap through one of my legs to make sure it didn't fly anywhere. It worked on every ride.

flipturngirl
08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
So for rides this is what I do:

Splash Mountain: Just put it next to my leg or put it in between the seat. Also most of the times it will get wet so I try to pick it up slightly from the floor when we get wet.
Rollar Coasters: When I was there a year ago... Most of them has places to stick the stuff in the front of the seat or below your legs. i also put a leg thru the straps.
Boat Rides: POTC I hold onto whatever I have

If you are worried about it getting wet have a bag with you that is waterproof or get a poncho to put over it.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BAGS UNATTENDED! Like at an Airport your bag will grow legs and walk away!!

They have lockers in Main Street where you can rent and put stuff there as well.

Luv Bunnies
08-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I like carrying sling-type bags that I can put over one shoulder and across my body. These bags leave you with your hands completely free and can be left in place during rides. I took mine on all the major rides (except Screamin') last week and never had a problem. Just make sure to lift the bag up when the lap bar comes down. It's uncomfortable to have the bag wedged between you and the lap bar. I would just get it situated after the bar came down either on top of the bar (for slow rides like Pooh) or next to me (for Space Mountain or other coasters). Since it's looped around your body, it won't fall off and get lost. Also, if you have the bag on the lap bar, pick it up before the lap bar is released or your bag gets squished between the bar and the front of the car. My mom is not a park regular and I had to teach her the finer points of riding with her purse!

With 2 boys, our biggest problem is their baseball caps. They're always shoving them at me before rides and then I have to juggle them. My solution is a caribeener hook on the strap of my bag or on their own fanny packs. The boys carried fanny packs during our long trip to WDW and could hook their hats to the packs before rides. At DL last week, they didn't have their packs so I put a hook on my bag. I would hook their hats on before the ride and they stayed very nicely.

CardinalsFan
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Had to revive my thread for one more question... backpacks are 50% off at Target right now (since the back-to-school buying frenzy is over), and I have a chance to get a rolling backpack for ten bucks. It's the kind some of the kids use, with a telescoping handle near the top, and a couple of rollerblade-style wheels on the bottom.

Would this be a good idea? Do you DLR veterans see many people successfully rolling their backpacks instead of carrying them, assuming crowds aren't heavy enough to make this impossible?

Of course, this backpack has regular straps for carrying it as well, so I'm hoping I can carry it when I'm feeling energized or when rolling isn't convenient, but roll it when I need a break from carrying it.

What do u think?

Mommy2PrincessAbby
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a rolling backpack, we use it for trips, but I wouldn't carry it on my back very long--they are heavy with the wheels!

I got the JJ Cole Logic bag, and I think it will be perfect for a day bag for DL!

My 2 cents...

--Lisa

DisneySuiteFreak
09-18-2007, 02:44 AM
Had to revive my thread for one more question... backpacks are 50% off at Target right now (since the back-to-school buying frenzy is over), and I have a chance to get a rolling backpack for ten bucks. It's the kind some of the kids use, with a telescoping handle near the top, and a couple of rollerblade-style wheels on the bottom.

Would this be a good idea? Do you DLR veterans see many people successfully rolling their backpacks instead of carrying them, assuming crowds aren't heavy enough to make this impossible?

Of course, this backpack has regular straps for carrying it as well, so I'm hoping I can carry it when I'm feeling energized or when rolling isn't convenient, but roll it when I need a break from carrying it.

What do u think?

Do they allow rolling backpaks in the park? When I went to WDW, I was told no rolling backpacks. So basically, when entering the park you had to wear the pack, but once inside you could roll it and no one said anything. (Really, it's no different than pushing a stroller or wheelchair, but they said that you PUSH a wheelchair or stroller, but you PULL a rolling pack so that's why they don't allow it.:rolleyes1 ) For some reason, that's what the CMs told me at the MK gate. They said we had to wear it going in, not roll it, or they couldn't let us in. Albeit, that was back in July of 2001. After that I wore it to enter each park and no one said a word. :cheer2:
Would be interesting to hear from a CM as to whether it's allowed or not, and or if they enforce it. I did wear the pack on the rides. I didn't think to put it on the floor and put a strap through my leg. Any CMS out there??? Rolling a pack would sure make it easier to carry around all my camera gear. :) CMs???

DisneySuiteFreak
09-18-2007, 02:45 AM
I have a rolling backpack, we use it for trips, but I wouldn't carry it on my back very long--they are heavy with the wheels!

I got the JJ Cole Logic bag, and I think it will be perfect for a day bag for DL!

My 2 cents...

--Lisa

Do you use yours in the parks?

Mommy2PrincessAbby
09-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't use the rolling back pack in the parks, whether it was allowed or not... the wheels on the bottom are heavy and bulky, so you can't really lean back on it if you are sitting... you'd always be moving it around... that's why I got the logic bag, it holds a ton, but looks and feels small... it goes sling style over your back... and it comes with a diaper changing pad, which we don't need so I took it out...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O7SBHI/ref=pd_cp_ba_0/102-7322337-0024151?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0XCY33GW6XZ8JCACS3MK&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=278285601&pf_rd_i=B0002ZA2A6

--Lisa

tinkermell
09-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree with Mommy2PrincessAbby. The bars and wheels would make it too stiff and heavy to bring on ride! If you have that much stuff, I would rent a locker for the day on Main Street, and just keep what you have to absolutely have with you at all times.

And yes Hound...............girls do need their purses and bags!!!princess: :cool1: :lmao:

ShawnaF
09-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, I don't carry a purse typically and I'll throw my credit card/license in my pocket or my husband puts it in his wallet for me. I know, weird for a female, but since I gave up the purse for the diaper bag, it's just been so much easier!

I pack our backpack just with things for my daughter - clothes, diapers, snacks. That way we never feel like we have to carry our backpack around. The camera is almost always with us in a pocket.

tink2dw
09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I always wear a big brimmed hat with an adjustable chin strap, at the Disney Parks. At DL last May we went on TOT and I tied the strap to my bag and put my leg thru the strap of the bag and tucked the hat behind my legs. Every thing was going fine till on one of the fall it lifted me off the floor and my hat went flying up, I was lol, but Dh caught it by the brim, thinking it was going to fly away and get lost and knowing it was my favorite hat. He thought he was a hero, till he found out it had been tied on to my bag all a long.:laughing: :rotfl:

tinkermell
09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
I always wear a big brimmed hat with an adjustable chin strap, at the Disney Parks. At DL last May we went on TOT and I tied the strap to my bag and put my leg thru the strap of the bag and tucked the hat behind my legs. Every thing was going fine till on one of the fall it lifted me off the floor and my hat went flying up, I was lol, but Dh caught it by the brim, thinking it was going to fly away and get lost and knowing it was my favorite hat. He thought he was a hero, till he found out it had been tied on to my bag all a long.:laughing: :rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Alex2kMommy
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I put my backpack on the floor at my feet (except POTC--it sits on the seat next to me--I don't want a wet backpack. On roller coasters and rough rides, I just put one leg through the straps. That works just fine.
On rides that we can all go on, we do the same as Jen.

With two little ones, usually one of us goes on a ride with the older boy (7yo this year) while the other waits with the little guy and the backpack; then we do the child (and backpack) swap. :thumbsup2

We haven't done Screamin' yet, though DS7 is thinking he is tall enough, and wants to try it out this next trip (two weeks.) :scared1: