PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Trip

Safari Queen
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
I make it to DL once a year in conjunction with a business trip and Monday was my day. First disappointment was a 90 minute wait for new Nemo sub ride by noon when I arrived. It was very hot and I couldn't imagine standing outside in a slow moving line that long, so I crossed that off my "to do" list. Just as well, as the line soon grew to a 120 minute wait! Had a good time on IASW, WTP, IJ, and others, plus my favorite lunch at Bengal Barbecue. I hadn't seen the Parade of Dreams, so I found a seat on the sunny side of the street. Half an hr before the start they sent a float with two Ratatouille characters on it (thouoght it was obviously set up for more). We could hear the announcement over and over as it traveled down Main St, passed us, then it was gone and we went back to waiting. 15 minutes later we got an announcement about the Schwartz family being Grand Marshalls, saw them, and then back to waiting. Finally the parade started. It has the usual jaunty song about family that becomes annoying very quickly, especially since the parade stalled and they played it for over 5 minutes as the poor dancers did their routine over and over. The whole thing seemed disjointed and choppy, with some classic music interrupted periodically and very abruptly by that #$% song! Not destined to be a classic!:rolleyes:

I was dying to see "Remember Dreams Come True" fireworks and staked out a great seat right in front of the castle 2-1/2 hrs early. Well, first they threw everyone in that area off those benches and set up about 10 benches for a special group. I found a little space on a wall close by and continued to wait. I was tired and nursing the last of my water but determined to have the perfect view. The night was great, with almost no wind, and it cooled off a lot when the sun went down. It was slightly amusing to see people approach the roped off area over and over to see if they could sit there, like those of us already in the area were so stupid we didn't notice the big open benches and chose to sit on a cement wall. ;) Then, 1/2 hr before the start they started announcing that "due to winds at high altitudes" fire workd MIGHT have to be cancelled but they'd delay the decision until showtime. That went on for 10 minutes past showtime, when they turned off the area lights and we all assumed it was all systems go. No, we just sat in the dark for another 10 minutes. 1/2 hr past showtime they announced that fireworks were cancelled. The special group never showed. Most people had left by then (in the dark). I then took myself off to see Fantasmic but it wasn't to be. Everywhere I tried to stand (where I could actually see something) a CM told me I had to move. So my one day at DL ended on a definite down note.:sad2:

One note: I was amazed at how much trash people threw on the ground. There were empty bottles all over the place, really close to trash?recycling bins. People really are pigs these days.:mad:

Misskitty3
08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Actually from what I have heard on this board, a 90 minute wait for Nemo isn't too bad.

Sorry about the fireworks etc but not sure what could have been done.

Pirate-Emery
08-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I then took myself off to see Fantasmic but it wasn't to be. Everywhere I tried to stand (where I could actually see something) a CM told me I had to move.

Fantasmic is absolutely the worst show to watch.

I love the show itself, the idea of Good vs. Evil within the Disney park. I'm sure it played a part in influencing Kingdom Hearts. I LOVE it when they mix all the Disney characters together, and they band together to fight the league of Villains.

But it happens in every Fantasmic showing: rude CM's, rude Guests.

I have "fond" memories of watching Fantasmic recently (prior to the hiatus). We were searching everywhere for a place to stand and be able to see what was going on. After being told that we had to "move along" by just about every CM, we found a little niche beside a tree. Not the best spot, but it would have to work.

Lo and behold, someone came up behind us and asked us to move because, we "were blocking their view." She had been standing five feet behind us, and I couldn't for the life of me understand how we had changed her viewing (we weren't exactly 6 foot), or why she hadn't moved further forward to where we had "ended up."

So we were ousted from our last resort and had to look elsewhere.

JenDisneylandlver
08-16-2007, 12:08 AM
One year we had waited for the second show of Fantasmic, and rushed in to get a front row seat. We got all settled and here came the CM's. Had to move. We asked why, they wouldn't say. They roped off the area, for really no apparent reason. As my husband said "Because they could". Because sure enough as it got closer to show time they took the rope down. Of course then there was a SEA of people who were waiting around the rope, who trampled their way to the front. So it didn't matter that we were there first and was willing to wait for a good spot. Would have been nice if they could have explained why they had to do that, but oh well. Thankfully the people in front of us decided to leave which gave us a front seat again.

As much as I love the fireworks the way they rope things off is crazy too. It's a maze to get out of the park. One night I wasn't feeling well and just wanted to go back to the hotel. I had no interest in the fireworks that night. I was told I couldn't go this way and that way. I finally said to the CM, which way CAN I go? We had it cancelled most nights that we were there in June. I do understand it's for safety reason. But it sure is happening a lot this year. Is Anaheim having more high winds then usual or what?

But yeah, as much as I love both of those shows, sometimes the stress of the crowds and the way they have it set up can be more stress then I want to deal with.

When we were there in June Nemo was 3 hours, so 90 minutes is really good compared to that! LOL I really wouldn't wait more then an hour for it (or any ride really). Hopefully once the summer is over the line waits will go WAY down! Sorry your day ended up not being so memorable!

XTinabell
08-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Awwe, there is nothing worse than waiting with anticipation for something that ends up never happening. I know how you feel, in 2003 I was waiting for the electric parade it would be the first time seeing it and I was so excited but then they cancelled due to a possible lighting storm which is TOTALLY understandable but nevertheless I was sad. And to this day I still have not seen the show because we go in off season and they no long have that parade during off season.

Sorry your day ended poorly but at least you were at disneyland, that's more than most can say :)

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
08-16-2007, 07:22 AM
As a regular to both WDW and DLR now, I can say that Fantasmic is better at DLR. The Peter Pan bit was really nice compared to the Pocohantis bit they do at WDW. Also, the Mark Twain at the end is nice too. However, it is not so much better that it's worth the seating hassle. And the second show involved more hassle than the first imo. The first was just a matter of having to wait a long time. There really wasn't much hassle other than the hassle of waiting a long time. The second was chaos. A mad rush. Nor is it worth $60 for a box of cookies. Overall, I think I'll take the slightly lesser show with the much better and easier seating at WDW.

HydroGuy
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Truly sorry that you had a negative experience at The Happiest Place On Earth, but sometimes disappointment comes with unrealistic expectations.

All summer long Nemo has had long lines and the line is not very well shaded. This is not new information. You have to get there first thing during EE or first thing on a non-EE day to avoid the lines. It sounds like in some cases the lines are dying down a bit in the evenings. To be disappointed by something that was pretty much common knowledge seems unnecessary.

Also, the fireworks do get cancelled and it is beyond DL's control. I remember one stretch in August 2006 where they were cancelled five times in a single week. People who devote a 2+ hour wait to something that might get cancelled, well, I can understand the disappointment, but it is what it is. I personally would never do that unless I was a regular DL visitor. Since I only visit every year or two, I am willing to devote 30-45 minutes to waiting for the fireworks because everyone knows the possibility of cancellation. There are many excellent viewing locations in the hub that you can get to 30 minutes before the show. Especially if you are solo.

If you can get to the second Fantasmic showing 30 minutes early there are usually spots available for small groups or solo people. We can usually do it with a group of 6 just 30-40 minutes ahead of time. Maybe you got there too late?

Albort
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
yes, its very unfortunate...

im a little suprised that they moved you though... that would be a bad bad thing to move even after you sat there for like 2 hrs.... :'(

disney-super-mom
08-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I also find it disappointing when the fireworks get cancelled so often. It really is especially bummer-istic in the offseason when you only have a couple nights a week to potentially see the show.

I remember when we went in the offseason in 2001, and they had fireworks every night. Not sure if that was a fluke, or if that's the way it used to be.:confused3

Anyway, I wish they would create somekind of ready-to-go 'backup show' with lights/lasers/music/special effects. In other words, a show that doesn't incorporate fireworks and could be set up fairly quickly. With as often as the fireworks get cancelled at DL, I think they NEED some type of backup plan. Well, maybe THEY don't need a backup plan, but I sure would like one!:goodvibes

tinkerbelt
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I remember when we went in the offseason in 2001, and they had fireworks every night. Not sure if that was a fluke, or if that's the way it used to be.:confused3

The old show didn't have the pyro that the new one does. A lot of the fireworks in this show are shot up really high, and they are set off from different locations around the park (including places where guests are), so if there is the slightest indication that it's too windy, they have to cancel the show.

Safari Queen, I'm sorry your day was so bad. I have to disagree with you on the parade though - it really is fantastic. If you sit near the Lion King parade stop, the acrobatics are really amazing to see.

The fireworks and the 10:30 Fantasmic really don't require any more than a 10 or 15 minute wait. We've been several times this week and have found great spots for both just a few minutes before showtime.

As for Nemo, we were on the second monorail for EE on Saturday, and the line was over 120 minutes by the time we got into the park. I don't see that changing anytime soon. 90 minutes isn't terribly bad though (I've found it's closer to an hour when they say 90 minutes for Nemo), and it's nice and shady for most of the line. Last night at 11pm, the line was down to about 30 minutes.

Another^Dimension
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
In over 13 years I have never had any problems getting a decent-to-good F! view, on almost any night (some holidays and Saturday/9pm shows are a bit crowded(!), whenever I wanted to see 'the best show Disney has ever done, anywhere'.

They were not all front and center, or front, or center views... but from the Twain dock to the Keel boat dock, upper and lower levels where applicable... I have never had any problems, hassles, rude CMs or rude Guests :rotfl2: hassle me or hamper me in any way from finding a good enough view of the show.. at any time... ever. :cloud9:

...and I've luckily seena lot of viewings of F!

Most of my viewings have been from in front of, to a bit left of; Tower C... but the show from that angle is still totally AWESOME.

:love:

I can't see how anyone can slam the Parade of Dreams..

The Parade of Stars (PoD's pathetic predecessor) was really short, really small, really lame, had really bad music (the first version, ok music the second), had no show stops, barely had more than 3 or 4 dancers per unit, and where dozens and dozens of beautiful and talented professinally trained Disney performers should have been performing were 4 dozen un-trained park Guests in street clothes and tutus...
It a was really really lame parade.
Now Disneyland has a parade that is a classic, still running from the classic 50th celebration and some people still want something better. Somehow.

The WDW daytime parades aren't better...
The DLP and TDL daytime parades aren't better.... :rolleyes1

;)

HydroGuy
08-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyway, I wish they would create somekind of ready-to-go 'backup show' with lights/lasers/music/special effects. In other words, a show that doesn't incorporate fireworks and could be set up fairly quickly. With as often as the fireworks get cancelled at DL, I think they NEED some type of backup plan. Well, maybe THEY don't need a backup plan, but I sure would like one!:goodvibesFWIW, that is along the lines for what Disney is cooking up for DCA. It will not involve fireworks. The bar has been set high to have a show at the same level as Fantasmic.

Amy&Dan
08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Sounds like a less than enjoyable trip. I agree, 120 minutes for Nemo is standard and not as bad as some of the waits earlier in the summer. I believe its the fire marshall who makes the final call if the fireworks happen or not. Given the fact DL is located within a city and residential area, its a good thing they do call them off when its windy. Its happened to me too, and it really stinks. I agree with Hydroguy about not staking out a spot for that long, for that very reason.

The parade stalls so that depending on where you are sitting you get treated to a nice little dance number. I love that music (but I love the music to the Electrical Parade too which some people equate to torture) and think its one of the better Disney parades (at WDW or DL).

Hope you have a better time next year. I really feel Disneyland is not something that can be done well, during peak season in one day with a noon arrival.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but Disneyland is a popular place to go in the summer (all year long really) and there is a science to enjoying it. I can't stress enough to try it again but get there at opening and allow more than one day if you can!

disney-super-mom
08-17-2007, 12:48 AM
FWIW, that is along the lines for what Disney is cooking up for DCA. It will not involve fireworks. The bar has been set high to have a show at the same level as Fantasmic.

Yes, I remember reading about this on Miceage. A show at DCA will be a welcome addition!:)

Actually all the plans for DCA sound wonderful. I can't wait to see what takes place in the next few years.:thumbsup2