PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Trip

Safari Queen
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I make it to DL once a year in conjunction with a business trip and Monday was my day. First disappointment was a 90 minute wait for new Nemo sub ride by noon when I arrived. It was very hot and I couldn't imagine standing outside in a slow moving line that long, so I crossed that off my "to do" list. Just as well, as the line soon grew to a 120 minute wait! Had a good time on IASW, WTP, IJ, and others, plus my favorite lunch at Bengal Barbecue. I hadn't seen the Parade of Dreams, so I found a seat on the sunny side of the street. Half an hr before the start they sent a float with two Ratatouille characters on it (thouoght it was obviously set up for more). We could hear the announcement over and over as it traveled down Main St, passed us, then it was gone and we went back to waiting. 15 minutes later we got an announcement about the Schwartz family being Grand Marshalls, saw them, and then back to waiting. Finally the parade started. It has the usual jaunty song about family that becomes annoying very quickly, especially since the parade stalled and they played it for over 5 minutes as the poor dancers did their routine over and over. The whole thing seemed disjointed and choppy, with some classic music interrupted periodically and very abruptly by that #$% song! Not destined to be a classic!:rolleyes:

I was dying to see "Remember Dreams Come True" fireworks and staked out a great seat right in front of the castle 2-1/2 hrs early. Well, first they threw everyone in that area off those benches and set up about 10 benches for a special group. I found a little space on a wall close by and continued to wait. I was tired and nursing the last of my water but determined to have the perfect view. The night was great, with almost no wind, and it cooled off a lot when the sun went down. It was slightly amusing to see people approach the roped off area over and over to see if they could sit there, like those of us already in the area were so stupid we didn't notice the big open benches and chose to sit on a cement wall. ;) Then, 1/2 hr before the start they started announcing that "due to winds at high altitudes" fire workd MIGHT have to be cancelled but they'd delay the decision until showtime. That went on for 10 minutes past showtime, when they turned off the area lights and we all assumed it was all systems go. No, we just sat in the dark for another 10 minutes. 1/2 hr past showtime they announced that fireworks were cancelled. The special group never showed. Most people had left by then (in the dark). I then took myself off to see Fantasmic but it wasn't to be. Everywhere I tried to stand (where I could actually see something) a CM told me I had to move. So my one day at DL ended on a definite down note.:sad2:

One note: I was amazed at how much trash people threw on the ground. There were empty bottles all over the place, really close to trash?recycling bins. People really are pigs these days.:mad:

Leofoenget
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Sorry your trip sucked.... better luck next time.

You know what they say, a bad day at Disneyland is better than a good day at work............

DangerMouse
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
What you experienced with the POD was an intentional "parade stop". This is part of the parade (really!). I personally don't get it myself, and agree that the POD is not one of my favorites. However, since it has been around since the beginning of the 50th, and will undoubtedly stick around through the end of the YOMD (Dec. 2008), I think many people will refer to it as a Disney classic parade. :rolleyes1

Dukland
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry your day sucked. It's really a bummer to waste that much time waiting for fireworks that never happen.

I love the "family" song in the parade, though. It's from Brother Bear, and I wish I had the parade version on CD.

bambigirl88
08-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Half an hr before the start they sent a float with two Ratatouille characters on it (thouoght it was obviously set up for more). We could hear the announcement over and over as it traveled down Main St, passed us, then it was gone and we went back to waiting. 15 minutes later we got an announcement about the Schwartz family being Grand Marshalls, saw them, and then back to waiting. Finally the parade started. It has the usual jaunty song about family that becomes annoying very quickly, especially since the parade stalled and they played it for over 5 minutes as the poor dancers did their routine over and over. The whole thing seemed disjointed and choppy

Yes, I feel we had the same experience as you. Starting off the the Ratatouille felt like watching a commercial but was ok. I felt the parade had too many stop/starts and listening over and over about the winning family was tedious. We watched the parade sitting where it started at Main Street entrance and it seemed to end there too. The floats all stopped and everyone waved around. We eventually left and caught a train to elsewhere in the the land.

And then our unhappy experience.....:headache:

When the train arrived at the station, they let 2 people on ahead of us and closed the gate and said no more room. There were four of us, and clearly there was room for us and maybe another couple or so. My husband pointed to empty seats right in front, but he paid no attention and off they went. Waited again for 10 min or so for the next train. I was so mad.....the station was full and every attempt should've been made to accommodate passengers but the CM did not care one bit we were waiting.:mad:

bambigirl88
08-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Half an hr before the start they sent a float with two Ratatouille characters on it (thouoght it was obviously set up for more). We could hear the announcement over and over as it traveled down Main St, passed us, then it was gone and we went back to waiting. 15 minutes later we got an announcement about the Schwartz family being Grand Marshalls, saw them, and then back to waiting. Finally the parade started. It has the usual jaunty song about family that becomes annoying very quickly, especially since the parade stalled and they played it for over 5 minutes as the poor dancers did their routine over and over. The whole thing seemed disjointed and choppy

Yes, I feel we had the same experience as you. Starting off the the Ratatouille felt like watching a commercial but was ok. I felt the parade had too many stop/starts and listening over and over about the winning family was tedious. We watched the parade sitting where it started at Main Street entrance and it seemed to end there too. The floats all stopped and everyone waved around. We eventually left and caught a train to elsewhere in the the land.

When the train arrived at the station, they let 2 people on ahead of us and closed the gate and said no more room. There were four of us, and clearly there was room for us and maybe another couple or so. My husband pointed to empty seats right in front, but he paid no attention and off they went. Waited again for 10 min or so for the next train. I was so mad.....the station was full and every attempt should've been made to accommodate passengers but the CM did not care one bit we were waiting.:mad:

fairycat
08-16-2007, 02:03 PM

On the train I asked about this before, what happened was schedule. Because there is more then one train on the tracks they have a very set schedule and they load by schedule not by actual fullness. I think they should be more up front with this since I know how frustrating it is, especially after you have been waiting a while.

tinkerbelt
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
On the train I asked about this before, what happened was schedule. Because there is more then one train on the tracks they have a very set schedule and they load by schedule not by actual fullness. I think they should be more up front with this since I know how frustrating it is, especially after you have been waiting a while.

That, and they try to not ever fill the train completely, because they need to have some empty seats at the next stop in case nobody gets off.