PDA

View Full Version : Just returned - Hyatt -Orange County and DL Hotel

cjsmom5
08-15-2007, 03:06 PM
We drove over to Anaheim on Thursday from Phoenix. It was a good drive. We took the 1-10 over to 57 South. No construction. A little traffic on the 57 in the later afternoon but nothing bad. From what we hear, even though it is 13 miles further, it took us about the same amount of time.

Arrived at the Hyatt Orange for one night prior to our check-in at the DLH. We should have stayed at the Hyatt. Check-in was a breeze. They were extremely friendly and welcoming. The lobby was clean and very nice. The restaurant on is open and cheery. The room itself was nice. We had a view of the tennis courts and pool. My DS9 really enjoyed watching the kids play tennis while we unpacked. The room was very clean. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of room for the three of us. We heard no noise at night. I was a little nervous staying here at first but I will tell you for $125 a night which included two full adult breakfast buffets ... it was a great place to stay. The shuttle ran on time but did get crowded in the later evening towards park closing. They ran two of them and everyone waiting did get on a bus. The bus drivers were less than cordial but for a 8 minute ride it didn't matter. The Hyatt was the first stop to get on and the first stop to get off. All and all we had a very pleasant stay.

Friday we checked into the DLH. Check in was uneventful. Our room was not ready which was fine. We didn't return until about 6:30pm that night and it was ready then. We checked in to find the bathroom floor in serious need of cleaning. The rooms was so-so in regards to cleanliness. The linens, blankets, bedspread were all "well used" and definitely in need of being upgraded for the price one pays for the room. Those at the Hyatt -- all the way around -- were much nicer. The room was smaller than what we remembered and the TV horrible. One of the buttons was broken. We called and they sent someone up. He said it happens all the time, they just put tape over it to keep kids from putting their fingers in it. I told them our 9 yr old would be fine. Reception on the TV was horrible also. Guy said that was normal. The carpet in the room was well worn and needs to be replaced along with the drapes, etc. For what we paid for this room it was sub-par and way below expectations -- the cleanliness also needs to be looked at in regards to what they consider acceptable. There was a glitch in the system, as they told us, regarding one of the wake up calls, and we missed getting in line to get the collector pins for which we made the trip. Oh well - they were sorry - nothing they could do. They did end up giving us a credit on our room as a gesture of goodwill. It was appreciated but didn't do much for my DS disappointment regarding the pin. The grounds at the DLH were okay but we did notice that things are not "kept up" as nice as they were just two years ago. The pool was very cloudy. The lifeguards were grumpy. The seating was hard to figure out as many people just left towels when they left and the hotel staff did nothing to try to pick them up or anything. There is another pool over to the side that is much calmer and not very crowded. There is a playground beside it and I would highly recommend using this pool.

We ate at Goofy's for breakfast -- food was medicore -- service was horrible -- character interaction was disappointing.

Tortilla Joes was very good. We sat out on the patio and had a very nice dinner. It was fun to watch people and relax.

Carnation Cafe - for lunch - service was okay but we found the food expensive and gain disappointing. Portions were very small. My DH had a salad and the bowl was only 1/2 full -- I think they were very busy and trying to push too much out. My sandwich was okay but nothing spectacular. Overall it was just okay.

We also did the VIP Tour - worked out well for us. Had VIP seating for the fireworks and fantasmic. We missed the parade as we were enjoying the refreshments.

DangerMouse
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry you had some disappointments on your trip. What tower were you in and what room configuration did you have at the DLH?

cjsmom5
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
We were in the Marina Tower (same as the lobby) and had two queen beds. Nothing special. We did have a view of the fireworks from the room if you open the door and pop your head out. This worked well for the family traveling with us as they watched them from the hotel. In the past we have stayed in the Sierra Tower in both concierge and non-concierge. We didn't notice much of a difference in location regarding the walk, etc.

While we were disappointed in the condition of the room and service ... we still had a good time. We are going to WDW the end of Sept and are looking forward to our stay there -- they just seem to "do" Disney differently at WDW -- both both places are wonderful.

daisy_77
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Ugh...I am sorry that DLH was a disappointment. We are staying there next week and I am really hoping that it is a good experience.
Thanks for sharing!

NannyPooh
08-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your stay at DLH was disappointing, but glad that you had a good trip otherwise! So glad that the *not-so-great* hotel conditions didn't affect your trip!
Thank you, thank you for the good reviews on the Hyatt! We check in 10 days from today. We will be there 6 nights, before moving over to the GC. Hopefully conditions there will be better than at the DLH!
How lucky to be at both DL and WDW within a couple of months! I'm excited planning the DL trip, but getting the itch for WDW ~ gotta start putting something together soon!
Have a great time in WDW, and thanks again for updating us on the hotels!

cjsmom5
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Keep in mind that my expectations are really high. While there was nothing wrong with the DLH we just felt for the money spent that they could do more. It was, though, a good experience. The fact that you can walk and not have to catch a shuttle is nice. And, if you enjoy the early entry then it is also an advantage to staying on property. For us, though, it just seemed like we could have caught a lot of "cab rides" for the extra price of the room -- although we did enjoy our stay.

We didn't see the rooms at the GC so can't comment on the the condition of the rooms. We were there four years ago and it was nice then.

The Hyatt to us was very nice, though. I think you will like it. The service we received was excellent and the rooms very nice -- nothing super fancy but nice. It is not on the level of a JW Marriott but is definitely a good 3 star facility. We were pleasantly surprised.

CoolPool
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Did you get a upper floor "Theme Park View" or a standard? I'm just wondering - I've got a rate for next week where I could book either standard to TPV and I'd gladly pocket the difference if it wasn't anything to speak of.

(I admit I'm staying at Disney hotel because of the waterslide.)

cjsmom5
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Did you get a upper floor "Theme Park View" or a standard? I'm just wondering - I've got a rate for next week where I could book either standard to TPV and I'd gladly pocket the difference if it wasn't anything to speak of.

We booked a standard view room at DL ... requested upper floor Sierra Tower. We got Marina Tower - 9th floor - which was fine and a nice location. The room we got was on the 9th floor and looked out over the entrance to the hotel ... if you looked off to the right as you were facing the sliding door you could see the fireworks so when we did that we had a view of DL. There aren't chairs/tables on the balconies and you can just barely fit your foot on it ... but you could definitely see the fireworks from the room. You could also see the parking lots in front of the hotel and the top of the parking garage off to the left. People kept telling us we had a great view room - so it may have been considered a theme park view room -- which would mean we were upgraded as we booked a standard room.

CoolPool
08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for responding! Glad the trip was good. How does the room compare to WDW hotels you've stayed at? I just got back a week and a half ago from the Poly, and I've also stayed at AKL recently. What level of WDW hotel does the DLH compare to so I can be prepared...

cjsmom5
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
We've stayed at the Yacht/Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside. The DLH rooms are definitely not at the same level as the YC/BC, WL or AKL. I would say that the DLH is inbetween the Moderates and Deluxe Hotels at WDW. The DLH does have the sink/bathroom area separate from the sleeping area as well as a full closest which the moderates at WDW don't have. It also has inside hallways. That said, the linens, bedding, etc. are nicer at all the WDW resorts that I mentioned. The room size is about comparable, perhaps a little smaller than the AKL and WL standard rooms -- depending on the room configuration you get at the DLH. The lobby at the DLH is non-existent (basically an entry and a check-in counter) though, which affects the overall atmosphere and feel of the the property. The WL/AKL lobbies are very similar to that of the Grand Californian. The main pool, while cute, is small and the furniture around the pool at the DLH is worn. The DLH does have what one would consider a quiet pool and it was nice. We thought the main pools at all the WDW resorts were nicer and better maintained. Also, there really isn't a good "snack option" for breakfast at DLH like you will find at all the WDW hotels (the Marketplace at YC/BC while different than all other WDW properties it is better than at the DLH). There is Capt Hooks but we found the selection to be limited. Finally, we've eaten at most of the restaurants/food courts at those properties at WDW that I mentioned -- we only ate at Goofy's and the snack area but didn't find that the food and/or service were at the same level as we found at the moderates/deluxe hotels at WDW.

Keep in mind that the Disneyland experience and the WDW experience are really two different animals and it is hard to compare apples to apples .... so to say. Overall, though, while DL is okay we much prefer WDW so that may be reflected in my evaluation. We just didn't find the DLH in regards to facilities, shape of the property, maintenance, service, etc. to be at the same level as what we have experienced at WDW. It may be different for some but that is our experience over the last six years.

CoolPool
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Cjmsmom5, thanks for the detailed response. Despite the fact that I live only about an hour and half from DL, I haven't been in 3 years. But I've been twice to WDW in the last 9 months! I love WDW too. So I think I will be glad that I got a cheap rate for a bit of R&R before school starts, and maybe lower my expectations. Or maybe I'll call and see if space is available at the Grand Cali. I think the kids will also enjoy the different rides too. But I will lower my expecations.

tinkerbelt
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
We just got back from the DLH too, and our room was the same as yours - dirty and "old" looking. THe linens were in bad shape, and the bathroom was filthy, and there was *mold*. Also, the water in the shower and the sink was salty - we had to use bottled water to brush our teeth. Gross! We definitely will not be staying at the DLH again. Candy Cane Inn was a million times nicer.

Amy&Dan
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I am sorry for you (and Tinkerbelt) the DLH disappointed. For that price it shouldn't! I just want to say for those staying at the DLH soon, our stay in June, (and the five previous stays we have had)was wonderful. Spotless room, no problems in nine nights. I have stayed at a couple of WDW deluxe's and agree its hard to compare the overall DL experience (resorts and parks) to a WDW one. Its too bad the DLH is inconsistent which is a shame.:confused:

cjsmom5
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Service and room condition should be the same for all rooms in a hotel but unfortunately that is not the case. It might be that standard rooms have been used more and aren't in as good of shape or that it was a bad week at the hotel in terms of the service. It is hard to know. I don't want to dampen anyone's excitement for DL. We had a great time and enjoyed our trip. Perhaps if we hadn't stayed at the Hyatt first it would have been better --- having the two to compare did definitely reveal some differences. That said the DLH did offer great convenience and the tinkerbell border on the walls was nice.

We haven't stayed at the GH now for three years or so ... so I'm not sure what condition the rooms are in there ... either. But, the overall lobby area, etc. does give one a different "feel" when you are actually at the resort, itself. At least it did for us. That said, we enjoyed both the stays at GC and our stays at DLH. We were at Disney so all was well.:)

Now if I could only catch up with my work before I leave the end of Sept of WDW. I guess I should stop dreaming ... it is always here when I return home.