PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Deal With The Crowds?

bouncy54
08-14-2007, 06:31 AM
So...I think we're going to tough it out and be in the parks over Veteran's Day weekend because many in our group want to be at the parks when they're open until midnight. :scared:

Our last trip was in 2001. Have people's attitude (rudeness) gotten that much worse over the past 6 years? Have the parks really gotten that much more crowded?

I've been to DL in August and during Spring Break and just don't remember having that tough of a time dealing with all the people. The only time that I felt like I was amidst a herd of cattle was right after Fantasmic, the Fireworks and the parades.

Is it worse now than it was then? Can I expect shoulder-to-shoulder crowds like that over the entire park and for the entire day over a holiday weekend?

How does everyone deal with the crowds?

iceskatejen
08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
The last two Veteran's Days have been insanely packed (read DL had to shut the gates and not let anyone else in, so don't leave if you don't want to risk getting back in). The worst crowds have been on the Friday. The rest of the weekend was better, but still very, very crowded. Use FP, understand ride and food lines will be really long and you'll need to stake out parade, Fantasmic and/or fireworks spots hours early.

bouncy54
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
The last two Veteran's Days have been insanely packed (read DL had to shut the gates and not let anyone else in, so don't leave if you don't want to risk getting back in). The worst crowds have been on the Friday. The rest of the weekend was better, but still very, very crowded. Use FP, understand ride and food lines will be really long and you'll need to stake out parade, Fantasmic and/or fireworks spots hours early.

We'll be there for 1/2 a day on Saturday. We plan to go to DCA first (around noon) and get fastpasses for Soarin' and Grizzly, then send our runners (DH & DN) over to DL to try and get fastpasses for Space Mt. or Indy. After that, the plan is to accumulate fastpasses every couple of hours at both parks for whatever attractions we can. (Big Thunder and the Holiday Haunted Mansion come to mind)

We realize that we may not get to ride much on that first 1/2 day...we mostly want to take in Fantasmic and/or the Fireworks that night. We'll go to the latest Fantasmic show they have. It will make for a very long first 2 days because we'll have to get up early on Sunday, but the rest of the week will not be so hectic.

On Sunday, we will be at the gates at least a 1/2 hour before they open, then we'll utilize all of HydroGuy's tips and use a Ridemax itinerary for that morning and create another one for the evening hours. If we decide we just can't leave the parks for an afternoon rest at the hotel, then we'll spend the afternoon over at DCA. (Did it get so crowded last year that they wouldn't allow re-entry? I thought it was only new entries they didn't allow)

disneyfaninaz
08-14-2007, 09:55 AM
We were there last year during Veteran's Day Weekend. They did close DL in the afternoon on Friday, so everybody went to DCA. No one could get in DL, not even reentry. My suggestion is get to the parks early and don't leave if you want to stay for the night time activities.

As far as sending runners to DL, I think that in order to get fastpasses, all the tickets must show admission to DL. Not sure if one person can swipe multiple tickets through the turnstyles. Have you done this before?

Just be prepared for the crowds. Eat at off times, expect to go slower in the afternoon when the crowds are more intense and lines are longer. This is a good time to see Tiki Room, ride the Mark Twain and see the 50th movie.

DLR29
08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
That sounds like a good plan. Just be warned that by getting to the parks around noon, your FP return times (especially Space and Indy who will have already been distributing for 4 hours) will be most likely more than 2 hours away. Also, I wouldn't grab a FP for BTMRR or HMH before Splash. Take advantage of Roger Rabbit being disconnected too.

I also suggest seeing the fireworks and Fantasmic on different nights. Stake out your seats way ahead of time because it will get crowded! By seeing them on two nights, you can get good seats at both without having to worry about making it to the other and finding good seats. Because if you were to see the 9:25 fireworks, by the time they ended, people will have already staked out the good Fantasmic seats for the 10:30 show.

DangerMouse
08-14-2007, 10:01 AM
As far as sending runners to DL, I think that in order to get fastpasses, all the tickets must show admission to DL. Not sure if one person can swipe multiple tickets through the turnstyles. Have you done this before?

Once the entrance media is scanned at either park, it can be used to collect fastpasses at either park. So, yes, Bouncy's plan of sending runners to DL to collect FPs will work.

DLR29
08-14-2007, 10:01 AM

The tickets only need to be swiped at one of the parks to be FP eligible for both.

DangerMouse beat me to it by seconds. ;)