PDA

View Full Version : Dining reviews 7/25/2007 - 8/3/2007 (long)

wdwrich
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Here for your reading pleasure (or not), are selected meal/restaurant reviews from our recent visit to the World. This was visit number 12 for DW and I since 1979, and we were accompanied by our two grandchildren (GS age 10 and GD age 4) for the first three days. The remainder of the trip was a family reunion which brought our total to 20 people. All table service meals were done on ADRs made well in advance. Even though this was the busy summer season, at no time did we wait more than 8 minutes to be seated for an ADR (we always arrived at least 5 minutes prior to our assigned time). All except one family in the group stayed at Shades of Green, so we were not on the infamous Disney Dining Plan.

For rating purposes, I will use a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest/best. For meals from which I kept receipts, the cost of the meal is included. Also, since we are not really big eaters, we tend to not order appetizers.

7/25/200
Coral Reef @ EPCOT (Lunch)
I had the BBQ salmon sandwich and DW had the chicken Caesar salad. The grandchildren had kidís meals, one pizza and the other mac & cheese served with sides of apples, carrot sticks and fries. The meals were filling enough that we didnít have dessert. Both DW and I thought the food and service to be very good, but the real attraction here is the dťcor and the view of the aquarium. We were seated in the middle of the second tier. The view was great, but I think all tables have a good view of the aquarium.
Food: 4
Service: 4
Atmosphere: 5
Cost: $47.08 plus tip (no alcoholic drinks)

7/27/2007
Sci-Fi @ MGM (Lunch)
DW had the Reuben sandwich and a chocolate shake, I had a burger and a coke. Both grandkids had cheese pizza (kidís meals) with carrot sticks and apple slices. GS added an Oreo cookie shake. With the shakes (shared), the meals were filling enough that we skipped dessert. We all enjoyed the meal and the film clips- even the kids who are too young to have seen any of the movies/shows included in the loop.
Food: 3
Atmosphere: 4
Cost: $51.90 plus tip (no alcoholic drinks)

7/28/2007
Chef Mickeyís @ CR (Dinner)
This was the first meal with the full family reunion group of 20 people. As you probably know, this is a buffet. We all sampled multiple items including desserts. The ribs seemed to be a big favorite, but the prime rib from the carving station was just okay. Characters (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald) visited our table several times and the interaction was great fun. This was an excellent kick-off for a WDW family reunion.

7/30/2007
Le Cellier @ EPCOT (Dinner)
Since this is a very popular establishment, it was difficult to snag an ADR for a group of 20. We ended up with a dinner reservation at 4:20 PM, so most of us either skipped lunch or just had a light snack instead. DW had the 7 oz. Filet Mignon with maple barbecue sauce and cream cheese mashed potatoes. I had the Herb Crusted Prime Rib with roasted Yukon potatoes. We shared two sides, the grilled asparagus and the creamed spinach. GS had the steak kidís meal and GD had a pasta kidís meal. Also at this meal, I picked up the tab for my daughter and son-in-law. He was home from Iraq on his 2-week R&R, so I was happy to buy their meals whenever we were together. (They have an 8-month old son for whom we didnít need to purchase meals.) DD had the Duck Two Ways appetizer as her meal with sides of asparagus and mashed potatoes. DSIL had the 14oz New York Strip Steak. DW and DD each had wine with this meal. Again, we were too full for desserts. All of us agreed that by far this was the best meal we had the entire trip. In fact, I think it was the best restaurant meal Iíve had *anywhere* in many years. The meats were all done to perfection and the sides were excellent. Even though we were a big group, the service was outstanding. If you can get an ADR for Le Cellier- DO IT!
Food: 5
Service: 5
Cost: $180.48 including 18% tip.

7/31/2007
Captain Cookís @ Polynesian resort (Dinner)
This is the first time we visited this counter-service restaurant since before the rehab and we were pleasantly surprised. The layout and dťcor have been improved, and the food quality and selection is much better than before. You can even get Dole Whips here! Our immediate family group (4 adults, 2 kids) had the following items- Aloha Pork Sandwich, Noodle Stir Fry, and these flatbreads: Cheese, Hawaiian and Pepperoni. We all got fountain drinks (refillable). Even though we love Dole Whips, we skipped them at this meal in favor of Pina Coladas after dinner at the Tambu Lounge upstairs.
Service: 3
Atmosphere: 3
Cost: $62.05

8/1/2007
Tusker House @ DAK (Lunch)
This is our favorite WDW counter-service restaurant, and we are sad that itís being turned into a character buffet place. At least we got to eat here one more time before the changeover! DW had the Rotisserie Chicken with garlic mashed potatoes vegetables, and I had the Grilled Salmon with rice and vegetables. Both were great as usual. GS had the chicken sandwich and GD had a kidís meal, but I donít remember what it was.
Atmosphere: 3

8/1/2007
Boma @ AKL (Dinner)
Our full group of 20 had dinner here. We think this is the best buffet in WDW. The food is somewhat exotic, but not too spicy or outlandish. It is always well-prepared and we have yet to be disappointed here. As is always the case, we ate too much but left feeling very pleased.

8/3/2007 ĎOhana at Polynesian resort (Dinner)
We have eaten here several times over the years and while we still enjoy the food and the fun, we preferred the previous menu. Both the scalloped potatoes and chicken wings were excellent, and the fried (wonton?) chips were very good. The meats are generally the star attractions of this meal, but the steak was tough and chewy. Most in our group agreed that the grilled turkey was the best of the meats. The vegetables were average and the dessert while good, was a bit too heavy for our tastes after a meal laden with meats. Bring back the pineapple with caramel dipping sauce! The entertainment (hula dance, limbo and coconut races) were fun, but what happened to the hula hoop contest? Service could have been better- we waited long times for drink refills.

Thatís all for now. Iíll be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

John's Mom
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for posting your reviews!

atisikitabasket
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the reviews. We are doing Coral Reef for the 2nd time in Dec. we loved it so much in Feb. We are also trying 'Ohana for the first time. I sure hope we like it.

FirstMagic
08-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your restaraunt reviews! It is nice you included the cost of the meal too. It sounds like you had some good dining experiences!

Dana49
08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write your restaurant reviews. Great job.

:)

Disneymoon
08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Could you please tell me a little bit more about your salmon sandwich at Coral Reef? That is what I am thinking of ordering and I have never seen a review of it. Anything you could share would be great (a picture would be awesome too).

Thank you for your reviews!

anny_c_99
08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Reading your reviews. Thanks for posting them.

This will be our first trip to Coral Reef, and we are excited to try it...Sounds like you enjoyed it.:thumbsup2

wdwrich
08-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Disneymoon,

Tha salmon sandwich at Coral Reef was tasty and well-prepared. If I remember correctly, it came with thin and crispy potato strands. Different, but good. The BBQ sauce was not too spicy so it did not overpower the salmon. That's about all I recall- this was the very first meal of our trip back on July 25 after flying red-eye from the west coast the night before and arriving in the morning. Sorry I don't have a photo.

Disneymoon
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Disneymoon,

Tha salmon sandwich at Coral Reef was tasty and well-prepared. If I remember correctly, it came with thin and crispy potato strands. Different, but good. The BBQ sauce was not too spicy so it did not overpower the salmon. That's about all I recall- this was the very first meal of our trip back on July 25 after flying red-eye from the west coast the night before and arriving in the morning. Sorry I don't have a photo.

Thank you so much! I think I will order it :thumbsup2

Busymom85
08-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I can't wait to try some of the places this winter.

Minniespal
08-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Enjoyed reading your reviews, thanks for posting.

natalielongstaff
08-11-2007, 01:30 AM
great review, thanks for posting

Schucraig
08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the great reviews!:thumbsup2