PDA

View Full Version : Party for the Senses 10/20/07 - Join Us!!!

Pages : [1] 2

oybolshoi
08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I know Melissa's been keeping track of as much F&W info as possible on her thread (thanks Melissa!) but I thought it might be a little easier for those DISers who'd like to share a meet 'n' greet at PFTS to hook up over here without bogging her down.

So, anyone who's coming to PFTS on October 20th, stop in and say hello! We're working on getting a group together so we can snag a table or two or three to share throughout the evening.

You may be wondering... who the heck is this Oybolshoi person?

Fair enough question.

I'm Brenda and my hubby is Jason and this is going to be our first Party for the Senses although not our first F&W Festival. We can't wait for October to get here and we hope to have a chance to meet some terrific DISsers who love good food as much as we do!

Attendees

Oybolshoi: Brenda and Jason (2)
Shovan: Sheryl & Bob (2)
Yearbook50: Melissa & Wes (2)
Girli565: Jennifer & Annette (2) Happy Birthday Jennifer!
Dizneykid: Jeanne & Marcel (2)
Magicinmyheart: Beckie & Terry; Cindy & Brian (4)
Krissalee: Krissy & Craig (2)
Cdtommie: Tom & Mary Ann; Larry & Lynne (4)
Ollie: Ian & Lynn (2)

current total: 22

yearbook50
08-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi!

10/20 will be my second Party of the Senses (my first being just 7 days earlier on 10/13 with my mother).

I will be joined with my father.

I love good food and good wine (I grew up drinking wine and developed my pallet quit early luckily)

and I can't wait until I meet some fun Disers like myself.

And actually, my other thread is currently a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be today so it works out well for me :D

oybolshoi
08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Excellent!

Jay and I are fun... we think. Actually, once we've had a few drinks we're lots of fun... we think. ;)

And I see a link for the Adventurers Club in your siggie... we love the AC! :thumbsup2

yearbook50
08-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Excellent!

Jay and I are fun... we think. Actually, once we've had a few drinks we're lots of fun... we think. ;)

And I see a link for the Adventurers Club in your siggie... we love the AC! :thumbsup2
Yup.
10/16 AC @ 9pm Dis Meet

Should be a good time.:drinking1 :tilt:

girli565
08-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, I'll be at the 10/20 PFTS with my mom. It's my first PFTS but not my first F&W Fest. It's my mom's first F&W Fest ever, she's so excited!!

So, it will be me, Jennifer, and my mom, Annette. I'm a foodie because my mom has become a self taught gourmet chef since her back injury keeps her at home most of the day. I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow DISers.

Oh, and 10/20 will be my 24th Birthday!!

dizneykid
08-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi, my husband and I will be attending the October 20th PFTS! My name is Jeanne and his is Marcel.

This will be our second time attending. Although, last year I wound up getting the flu the night before and was so sick I just sat at a table in the corner all night. Only sampled a few items. I didn't want to cancel because we were with friends and also I didn't want to disappoint my husband. He had a wonderful time and sampled enough for the both of us.

So, I am REALLY looking forward to this year. I will be taking plenty of vitamin C before our trip!!

Marcel and I are foodies and we love to try new things. I have always been into wine (my dad bought me the book by Kevin Zraly, The Complete Wine Course, when I was 16). I love to cook and mostly love making desserts!

Also, we are going over to Epcot on September 29th to pick up some of the F&W Brochures. If you would like me to send you one, I will be glad to. Just pm me your address and I will get it right out on that Monday!! This way we could see what seminars are being held before our trip. :thumbsup2

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi everyone I'm Beckie :wave:

This will be my 3rd Party for the Senses, my good friend Jeanne and her husband Marcel introduced me to the Food & Wine Festival 3 years ago with a few unused wine tickets from Australia. Until then I had never attended the F&WF even though we had visited WDW several times during this event. :confused3

Since my DH Terry and I managed to book and attend the PFTS the year before we thought attending together would be fun. The four of us booked and enjoyed a week of fun before our scheduled fest. As Jeanne posted she started feeling bad that Saturday, but didn't let it keep her away. She and I thought we would start our trip this year with the Party so hopefully we wouldn't be tired or susceptible to any viruses.

Sunday I called my DSis Cindy and told her the reservations for the F&W Events would be available Monday and she and her DH Brian will also be joining us.

So please add 4 more to the group.

Beckie

shovan
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
WOW!!!!! I'm thrilled that a shout-out for table sharers on 10/20 has actually turned into a DIS-Meet!!!:banana:
Looks like we are going to have our own Party at the Party!!!! party:
This is going to be so fun! I can't wait for October!

A BIG Thank You to Brenda for setting up our new DIS-meet thread!!!!:thumbsup2

A little about us: I'm Sheryl & my DH is Bob. :wave2: This will be our 2nd F&W fest & 2nd PFTS! Last year was our 1st empty nester's trip & don't tell our DD but it was the BEST! We had a great time last year & met a lot of nice foodie/wine people, a few that we still chat with! We are long term WDW addicts!. We love good food & wine, we're from New Orleans, so yes, we like to eat & drink! and I LOVE cooking!

It looks like we are going to have to see if we can grab several large tables together. I wonder if the PFTS organizers are going to have everything set up the same as last year. Which was (unfortunately) line up early & run like heck to get a good table!

I think this is our crowd so far:

Shovan - Sheryl & Bob party of 2
oybolshoi - Brenda & Jay -2
girli565 - Jennifer & Mom, Annette - 2
yearbook50 - Melissa & Dad, Wes - 2
dizneykid - Jeanne & Marcel - 2
+
magicinmyheart - Becky & Terry + Brian & Cindy -4 - total party of 6?

Gosh, 14 people so far! :goodvibes

From what I remember from last year, the largest table had chairs for 6.?? Does anyone's memory serve them better as to how the tables & seating was set up? Where the large tables grouped together or was it mixed with small & large? If I recall, the taller tables without chairs were on the perimeter of the table areas, right?

I know Bob & I, and Brenda & Jay will not be going to the concert that night, so we'll get there early. In the past have they allowed seat-saving? We've didn't do the reserved concert seating last year either, has anyone else done that? I was wondering how that worked out?

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm Melissa...I will be a party of 2 with my father (Wes)

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll be sure to start editing the original post with a running list of DISsers who plan to attend.

I'm glad we have some time to work out the details. I can't wait to meet everyone and eat and drink and drink and eat... ;)

And Jeanne, I for one would love to take you up on that offer of a F&W program when you visit in September. Thanks so much for being so thoughtful so far in advance! :)

shovan
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm Melissa...I will be a party of 2 with my father (Wes)

Sorry, I hadn't made the connections with Brenda's kudo's to you & your screen name! I've corrected the numbers!

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Sheryl :wave:

We have never attended the Eat to the Beat Concert Series before the PFTS, just on nights with no events scheduled.

If you attend the concert it ends at the same time the PFTS starts so...remember that crowd last year...you would be one of the guest way in the back...one of the last guest to enter. Makes your chance of getting a table very small. We try to arrive at 6:00pm so we are in the middle of the crowd.

Last year we found a small table for four toward the middle of the building, I think that they did have larger tables at the entrance, large enough for 10 guest but that may have been the year before. :confused3

We will know how the tables are arranged once the earlier partys start.

Beckie

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Sorry, I hadn't made the connections with Brenda's kudo's to you & your screen name! I've corrected the numbers!

Its ok.

:D

:cool1:

I'm not planning on going to the Eat to the Beat Concert before Party of the Senses.Only one I might do is on 10/14 for David Cassidy (my mom's high school crush)

If you have a group large enough can't you call and request a reserved table?
I may look into that.

shovan
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Melissa, I don't know if a table can be reserved or not? :confused3 That would be great! If you can't make the call, let me know & I'll do it. If you do get to set aside a table, you'probably should mention that we'll have 1 wheelchair in the group. (My DH Bob)

I'll be sure to start editing the original post with a running list of DISsers who plan to attend.

I'm glad we have some time to work out the details. I can't wait to meet everyone and eat and drink and drink and eat... ;)

And Jeanne, I for one would love to take you up on that offer of a F&W program when you visit in September. Thanks so much for being so thoughtful so far in advance! :)

Brenda, Thanks! You are so on top of this!

And I almost forgot about Jeanne offer! I was actually going to go hunt for someone going early to send me one. Thanks Jeanne I'll pm you with that info.

What other events are y'all going to be attending?

Besides the party, we've booked wine pairings at Marrakesh & Coral Reef. We wanted Le Cellier & of course that was already full by the time I got through. In fact there were a lot of other events, we were hoping for, but not having the schedule out a lot sooner, kept us from being able to work it all out.
We also have an adr at AP, and ended up cancelling the one we at CG to fit everything in. We are also having a meet with some other Dis-friends on my NOLA thread, going to do a lot of booth cruising that day!

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
If you have a group large enough can't you call and request a reserved table?
I may look into that.

You can call but none of the tables are reserved. You may find a stranger has decided to sit in your seat while you go to one of the stations for food or wine. This does and has happen :rotfl2: they will tell you all the tables are open for anyone. Which they are...it's just that most people wouldn't take someones seat.

This happened to us our first time, the other couple we had meet in line had left the table while we were checking out other food stations. (We tried to take turns going around) The new guest had thrown the other couples possessions under the table. I sat down to try and wait for the original couple but never saw them before we left.

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
What other events are y'all going to be attending?

We'll be at that Le Cellier tasting on 10/19 (sorry you won't be there Shovan) and the Scotch pairing on 10/21 at Rose & Crown. And we really want to get into a Sushi / Sake pairing if Disney can figure out what the heck is going on with the restaurant reservations.

As for our other plans... We'll be at WDW 10/15 - 10/25

We have ADRs at Jiko, Crystal Palace, Gardenview Lounge, Kona, Scifi, Flying Fish, California Grill, Narcoosee, and Rose & Crown. My birthday is 10/17 and once we enter the 30-day booking window I'm going to make an ADR for Bistro Paris for that night. :love:

We're also going to do a Segway tour in Epcot one morning!

This is our last WDW trip for a few years, so we're trying to cram in as much as we can on this visit.

And... we're going to spend one morning over at the Mandara Spa... :cloud9:

shovan
08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Sheryl :wave:

We have never attended the Eat to the Beat Concert Series before the PFTS, just on nights with no events scheduled.

If you attend the concert it ends at the same time the PFTS starts so...remember that crowd last year...you would be one of the guest way in the back...one of the last guest to enter. Makes your chance of getting a table very small. We try to arrive at 6:00pm so we are in the middle of the crowd.

Last year we found a small table for four toward the middle of the building, I think that they did have larger tables at the entrance, large enough for 10 guest but that may have been the year before. :confused3

We will know how the tables are arranged once the earlier partys start.

Beckie

Last year, we didn't really see the neccesity in reserved seating for the concerts or want to sit outside getting all hot & sweaty before the Party. Since they have now scheduled Juice Newton for that night, I will really not need to make that concert that night! We will make sure to catch the Four Tops while we are there, though.

Your right about being able to get more info after the first Parties, the dis is cool isn't it!

shovan
08-07-2007, 02:30 PM
We'll be at that Le Cellier tasting on 10/19 (sorry you won't be there Shovan) and the Scotch pairing on 10/21 at Rose & Crown. And we really want to get into a Sushi / Sake pairing if Disney can figure out what the heck is going on with the restaurant reservations.

As for our other plans... We'll be at WDW 10/15 - 10/25

We have ADRs at Jiko, Crystal Palace, Gardenview Lounge, Kona, Scifi, Flying Fish, California Grill, Narcoosee, and Rose & Crown. My birthday is 10/17 and once we enter the 30-day booking window I'm going to make an ADR for Bistro Paris for that night. :love:

This is our last WDW trip for a few years, so we're trying to cram in as much as we can on this visit.

And... we're going to spend one morning over at the Mandara Spa... :cloud9:

Yeah, I'm still mad that I had so much trouble getting through on the phone yesterday! You really are trying to get a bunch in on this trip, that's going to be great! We were thinking about trying for the Bistro too. Is that how they do that, another wake up bright & early & hope to get through?

Why the last trip for a few years?

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'm still mad that I had so much trouble getting through on the phone yesterday! You really are trying to get a bunch in on this trip, that's going to be great! We were thinking about trying for the Bistro too. Is that how they do that, another wake up bright & early & hope to get through?

Why the last trip for a few years?

Bistro only takes reservations 30 days in advance. I don't think there's usually a rush for them like there is for the F&W stuff, but I have the date marked on my calendar so that I don't forget to call at some point to get it. I don't think you need to worry about waking up before sunrise to nab an ADR at Bistro (I hope not!).

I don't understand the phone system with WDW dining at all. I called the F&W fest number... had to go through all those stupid prompts, and then actually got a CM who said, "Welcome to the F&W Festival ADR center." She was great - on top of everything (until she told me the sushi pairings were sold out).

But when I tried to call back 5 minutes later the circuits were busy and then one other time I got through but was on hold for so long that I had to hang up or I would have been late for work.

As for this being our last visit for a while - we don't have any points available for next year because we borrowed them to cover a second trip this year (May). And we really want to visit some different places. We're thinking of using our 2009 points to cover a trip to Hawaii... :cloud9:

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Sheryl

I called 407 WDW-FEST (407 939-3378) at 6:59am and by the time 7:00am rolled around I was talking to Rob, he did a great job and I was completed by 7:07am. :confused3

Sorry you had such a problem yesterday, I have been caught in that never ending hold pattern only to reach someone that's :jester:

Unfortunately I need to try for an AP or Florida Residence discount rate for the first three days of my trip. I am DVC Member and have had my main reservations over at The Boardwalk Villas for 10 months, just added three days over at the Wilderness Lodge when my DSis Cindy decided to come party with us. So now I have to check for those discounts every morning. :upsidedow

We will be at:
Wilderness Lodge October 18-21
Boardwalk Villas October 21-25

Brenda

That's so funny...we also have the Segway Tour scheduled for Oct 24th along with Jeanne and her DH. When are you planning to take the tour?

I still would still like to book the Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi for the 22nd, can't wait until Jeanne visits and gets some of the F&W Brochures so we can complete our planning.

Beckie

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
That so funny...we also have the Segway Tour scheduled for Oct 24th along with Jeanne and her DH. When are you planning to take the tour?

I still would still like to book the Sake, Sushi, and Sashimi for the 22nd, can't wait until Jeanne visits and gets some of the F&W Brochures so we can complete our planning.

Beckie

Beckie, we're just going to miss you - ours is scheduled for October 23rd.

We are staying at the Beach Club Villas 10/15 - 10/25 (we love walking in and out of Epcot's International Gateway).

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I have
10/12 Le Cellier Food and Wine Pairing (solo)
10/13 Party of the Senses (with mom)
10/17 Chefs A Field (solo)
10/17 Living Seas Food and Wine (solo)
and this

I have ADRs at
Citricos, 50's Prime Time, Narcossees, Wolfgang's 'dining room' (before the dis meet), Rainforest but hoping for Yak & Yeti, Chefs de France, Coral Reef, Jiko's, CRT, California Grill

I will be eating a lot this trip but its also a long trip, but I'll also be visiting the pool each evening (well maybe not the PotS & AC nights) so I'll work it all off.

The Dining Lady told me to call another number so I'll do that tomorrow on my drive home (I have a 50 minute drive home from work that is really boring and with no one else on the road so phone calls keep me awake)

Krissalee
08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Add two more to the list please! :goodvibes:

I am Krissy, and my DH is Craig. This is our 3rd PFTS, and our 5th F&W Fest. For the past few years, we have made our annual trip in October to both attend the F&W Fest, and Celebrate our anniversary. It will be 9 years on 10/24, and on that night we will be dining at V&A's.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone, and enjoying some good food and wine!

BTW, Thanks for the PM MAGICinMYHEART.

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
We only have a few ADR made for our trip we are staying over at the Club Level at the Lodge, with all the food available there and the food & wine offerings we'll be grazing the whole trip.

Anybody else going to attend MNSSHP?
I ordered our tickets for October 21, 2007 my nephews and myself love the Halloween Party.

WELCOME TO THE GROUP KRISSY :wave:

shovan
08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Melissa, Another number besides the Fest one? For large group reservations or for all Fest ressies?

Brenda & Beckie, Those darn DVC points get used up quickly don't they!

We'll be at BCV from the 19th-26th, I think... We keep changing & adding! Yes arriving on the 19th checkout on the 26th. Just got the 19th on points, cash basis for the 26th. Why we ever thought 4 nights was enough, is beyond me? What were we thinking?

We are going to keep trying to get LeCellier for either Friday. A CM told DH that there are some travel agents that have a deal with Disney who book up blocks of Party Events and that some events could become available. Don't know if that's correct but we'll keep hoping & trying! I would have loved to do the Bistro Pairing, but we only have one Saturday & I know I can't do that & the Party!

Welcome, Krissy!!! Okay so now that is 16! That's is a party!

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
The Dining Lady told me to call another number so I'll do that tomorrow on my drive home (I have a 50 minute drive home from work that is really boring and with no one else on the road so phone calls keep me awake)
Melissa

Is this drive home in St. Augustine or Worcester? I guess I'm trying to ask which location are you located now?

Beckie

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Brenda & Beckie, Those darn DVC points get used up quickly don't they!

They do get booked fast around our house, after our first F&WF I purchased an add on over at the Boardwalk Villas so we could just (stagger) walk home.

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Welcome Krissy!

Sheryl, its a number for large groups. I'm not sure if its a number to do with any of the Food and Wine activities though. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Beckie, no MNSSHP for me. I went last year and enjoyed it but not enough to spend $40 on it this year. I will prolly attend again once I have children and they are old enough to enjoy it (so realistically, 8+years from now)

I'm waiting to see about purchasing into DVC until I know where I'm going to end up after graduation. If I stay here in MA and continue working full time where I intern now, I'll buy DVC. If I end up getting a job in Orlando, no DVC for me. Shaun (my fiance) wants to move to Central Florida since he finally realized snow sucks and its a lot cheaper to live in Florida than MA (I've only been telling him that for 3 years, but he has to hear it from someone else) At least I'm an ME so I should be able to find a job there.

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Melissa

Is this drive home in St. Augustine or Worcester? I guess I'm trying to ask which location are you located now?

Beckie

I currently reside in Worcester, MA (I work in North Billerica for my internship, Worcester for my retail job since I'm crazy and can't handle being bored)

Since I'm still in college (one more semester left), I technically reside in St. Augustine, FL since I 'live' where my mother does. Plus, I truly do not like MA and don't want to give up my FL residency until I know where I'm ending up.

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Welcome Krissy!!

I updated the front page - we're up to 16 people! :yay:

We've added on vacation points twice so now we own at BCV and at SSR... it gets to be an addiction after a while. ;)

No MNSSHP for us on this trip - we've done it three times in the last five years and to quote my husband, "we'd be happier with the dollar." ;) I'd rather spend the admission on that Sushi / Sake pairing!

Krissalee
08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

We just bought a re-sale @ BWV in February, so we were unable to book a studio there for October that late in the game. We will be at BCV 10/19 to 10/21, then at Saratoga Springs from 10/21 to 10/27. I was glad to be able to get an Epcot resort for the first 2 nights - makes it much easier to walk home via the International Gateway after PFTS.:p:

The only other events we are going to are Sweet Sundays on 10/21 and the Exquisite Evenings dinner 10/26. I am still hoping for the Sushi, Sake and Sashimi on 10/22, if that ever gets worked out.

shovan
08-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Krissy, Being at the BC for the Party is great! You're going to love it, I guess we'll see you there. :goodvibes

Since everyone is talking about the Sake Sushi Pairing & it's still a possibility, Have any of you done it before? My DH wasn't too interested in it, not a fan of sake or sushimi, he does like sushi though. Is it really great? I'm seeing a lot of chat on the dis about it and wondering if we're missing out!

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Since everyone is talking about the Sake Sushi Pairing & it's still a possibility, Have any of you done it before? My DH wasn't too interested in it, not a fan of sake or sushimi, he does like sushi though. Is it really great? I'm seeing a lot of chat on the dis about it and wondering if we're missing out!

I thought about that...but looking at the reviews there seems to be a lot of tuna based sushis and that is the one type of sushi I dislike so I don't want to go and not get my money's worth.

All the reviews I've seen rate it really highly. One of my friends from home went last year and enjoyed it. It helps you enjoy the subtle differences in sake and proper pairing of it. (I'm shunned by her since I only like my sake cold)

I'll stick to going to Minado's for my sushi fix.

oybolshoi
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM

All Ears posted a review from 2005 that looked really good and that's why Jay and I thought we'd try it this time around, even though I know some things may be too spicy for me.

We also arrived at the Sushi pairing by a process of elimination based on things we were interested in attending... we did Coral Reef and Marrakesh pairings last year so we didn't want to repeat. We wanted Rose & Crown more than a pairing at Italy and as much as I'd like to try the pairing in France I think it would be too much along with PFTS later in the day.

We would have dropped some bucks on a signature dinner or exquisitely expensive evening but nothing was offered during our dates that really appealed to us. Ah well... more money for the spa! :goodvibes

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Since I'm still in college (one more semester left), I technically reside in St. Augustine, FL since I 'live' where my mother does. Plus, I truly do not like MA and don't want to give up my FL residency until I know where I'm ending up.

Melissa

I understand about wanting to keep your Florida Residency, we really get great deals @ WDW. My oldest nephew only has one semester before he graduates from UF I'll be dancing December 14th.

I live close to your Mom, just about 30 minutes from St. Augustine over in Clay County. (Orange Park)

Beckie

Krissalee
08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
We did the Saki, Sushi and Sashimi pairing last year and loved it! That is why we wanted to return this year. Our pairing was very heavy on the tuna, but tuna is my favorite raw fish, so it worked for us. I really know very little about saki, so I was glad to learn about it, and to be honest, it really didn't sink in. I think I need a refresher!:)

The sushi chef last year was amazing. He grated fresh wasabi on a special shark-skin board. The fresh wasabi was so much better than any of the pre-made wasabi I have ever had at our local sushi place.

It was funny - we live on the Jersey shore. Our sushi chef last year, came into the US through NYC, and then he went out fishing for tuna on boats leaving Point Pleasant, NJ. When he found out we lived in Point Pleasant, he really took us under his wing. It was nice.

If anyone has info about when the saki, sushi, sashimi event can be booked, I will be so appreciative.

yearbook50
08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Beckie

I grew up in Jacksonville, in Arlington by the Dames Point. My father and other extended family live in Keystone Heights so I've spent a decent amount of time in Orange Park, since well there isn't much in Keystone.

MAGICinMYHEART
08-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I grew up in Jacksonville, in Arlington by the Dames Point. My father and other extended family live in Keystone Heights so I've spent a decent amount of time in Orange Park, since well there isn't much in Keystone.

I grew up in Jacksonville also, :cool1: in North Shore (Northside) area many, many, years ago. I have lived here in Orange Park for 20 years. I have friends that live in Keystone your right not much there but a nice little community. I ended up in Keystone a few weeks ago driving home from Gainesville, I made a wrong turn in Stark I have no idea how I managed to do it :confused3 I have been driving that route forever.

shovan
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Brenda, I'm with you on the would have spent tons of money if! I was planning on booking a signature or ee evening but nothing was appealing enough to spend the big bucks.

Krissy, That Sushi pairing sounds great! My fav sushi is tuna also, DH not so much. Don't think I'm going to be able to convince him. :confused3

Melissa, Thanks for making the call! We have 16 now, I don't recall seeing any really large tables, but three of tables that seat 6 would work. If it doesn't work out, we'll just pick several of our fastest runners to nab tables! :laughing:

Sort of totally OT, but an early anniversary present from my DH came in today, an 18 bottle dual zone wine fridge!! Set up this morning & tried it on a bottle of Pierre Sparr Gewurtz tonight! Now we can pretend we are real wine snobs! :laughing:

yearbook50
08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Sheryl,

Sounds like a great early anniversy present and a practical one at that!

oybolshoi
08-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Sushi info???

The hubby and I are definitely sushi novices, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for us.

Previously some of you mentioned that the sushi pairing at the F&W festival last year was "tuna" heavy. Is there any reason in particular that they would chose to do this? I've got nothing against tuna, but I was hoping if we went to this tasting that we would get to sample all kinds of different sushis, as opposed to variations of the same fish.

Any input / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brenda :goodvibes

dizneykid
08-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Boy, I come back to this thread after a 1/2 a day and it's on page 3!! :laughing: You guys can talk!!

Anyway, took me some catching up.

I think the reason that they use tuna mostly is because it seems to be the first thing, first time sushi eaters try. But, I'm not sure.

Marcel and I are also trying for the Sushi, Sake and Sashimi tasting on 10/22. If I find out they are booking, I will post asap!

We are also going to Sweet Sundays on 10/21, so we will be seeing you all again the day after PftS. :banana:

Brenda, don't forget to pm me your address so I can send out a booklet. I'm starting a list and will make up the envelopes ahead of time so I can get them right out.

We live in Largo, Florida and it usually takes us around 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the gates of WDW. Now that they fixed I-4, it's a pretty easy trip. :love:

Sheryl, I love your anniversary present. We have one and we just love it. I keep an excel list of all the wines in the cooler so it's easy to locate them. :drinking1

cdtommie
08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi this is Tom and Mary Ann. We will be at the 10/20 PFTS (and also the 10/27) along with our friends Larry & Lynne. I've lost count of how many of these we've been to since we went to this event when it was at the Odyssey and the past few years we have done this event twice each year. We will be at the Disney Boardwalk Villas from 10/19 to 10/30. These are the only F&W events we are doing this year but we will also be hitting many of the signature restaurants (V&A's, Cali Grill, Artist Point, Citrico's and Flying Fish) during our trip.

I think we've been to the Sushi and Saki pairings 3-4 years running now and have always enjoyed this but at $90 a couple now plus tax we have decided to go to some of our favorite restaurants instead this time and use the DDE card.

I believe they had tuna, salmon for the sashimi and all tuna for the rolls (and it might have been some type of steak sushi for the third item last year). I don't think anything was really spicy but my memory is poor due to too much alcohol consumption :)

We usually don't bother with the tables for the PFTS and just keep moving (except for two or three years ago when the FIL/MIL came with us - they are in their 70's). Would always love to meet some fellow Dis'ers. We are more beer people (and I'm really serious about my beer selections) than wine but we enjoy wine too and good food of course.

yearbook50
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I think they use tuna because its the 'safest' in terms of people enjoying it so more people would enjoy the event. I think its a same that they seem to do it that way, since if you are willing to do a Sushi, Saki pairing you should be somewhat adventorous with trying new types of sushi - as long as they don't serve blowfish (I'm not even that crazy)

oybolshoi
08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Welcome to CDtommie!! Looking forward to meeting you and your friends in October!

This puts the group total at 20 right now - woo hoo! :yay:

Thanks to everyone for the information on the sushi pairings. Melissa, I'm with you - if peeople are willing to come to the pairing in the first place then give them a little credit for being adventurous and let them sample different types of sushi. I'm sure we'll still try to book the pairing for 10/15, but at least I have a better idea of what to expect.

Jeanne, I'll go ahead and PM you with my address. Thanks again for offering to do this - anything we can do to help with postage?

girli565
08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Brenda, I'm with you on the would have spent tons of money if! I was planning on booking a signature or ee evening but nothing was appealing enough to spend the big bucks.

Krissy, That Sushi pairing sounds great! My fav sushi is tuna also, DH not so much. Don't think I'm going to be able to convince him. :confused3

Melissa, Thanks for making the call! We have 16 now, I don't recall seeing any really large tables, but three of tables that seat 6 would work. If it doesn't work out, we'll just pick several of our fastest runners to nab tables! :laughing:

Sort of totally OT, but an early anniversary present from my DH came in today, an 18 bottle dual zone wine fridge!! Set up this morning & tried it on a bottle of Pierre Sparr Gewurtz tonight! Now we can pretend we are real wine snobs! :laughing:
I wanted to go to the Signature Dinner at California Grill but it's not happening when we're there. I wish I could take more days in Disney but work will be in full force and taking even one day off is an issue at my school.

shovan
08-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Welcome Tom & Mary Ann!!!

I can't believe we are up to 20 foodies already!!! :goodvibes

Tom, I'm Sheryl & DH Bob, like an occasional brew also. Especially when cruising WS & trying out all the different beers!

Jeanne, I don't think that I'll need an excel sheet to keep track of wine in my little fridge. In fact, we move them in & out to quickly to track it! :laughing: I haven't stocked it up yet. A bit worried that we are going to find the temp for reds too cold. We are used to drinking most reds at room temp or chilled for only 5 minutes or so. AT what temps do you keep your wines?

Jennifer, If we lived any closer to WDW, F&W fest would definitely run us into bankruptcy! There were so many different dinners we were interested in, but they are just so spread out thru the Fest schedule.

dizneykid
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Shovan,

My dad thought me this. He said to keep the wine cooler at around 53-55 degrees. It is a good temperature to "store" the wine, both red and white. Then when ready to drink, we either put the white in the fridge for a little while or take the red out of the cooler for a little while. It seems to work perfectly for us. I have a chart somewhere as to what temps to serve different wines, but as we all know, each person's taste is different as is wine! :)

girli565
08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Welcome Tom & Mary Ann!!!

I can't believe we are up to 20 foodies already!!! :goodvibes

Tom, I'm Sheryl & DH Bob, like an occasional brew also. Especially when cruising WS & trying out all the different beers!

Jeanne, I don't think that I'll need an excel sheet to keep track of wine in my little fridge. In fact, we move them in & out to quickly to track it! :laughing: I haven't stocked it up yet. A bit worried that we are going to find the temp for reds too cold. We are used to drinking most reds at room temp or chilled for only 5 minutes or so. AT what temps do you keep your wines?

Jennifer, If we lived any closer to WDW, F&W fest would definitely run us into bankruptcy! There were so many different dinners we were interested in, but they are just so spread out thru the Fest schedule.
It would definitely bankrupt me. I'd be at all the dinners outside epcot every night!!

yearbook50
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM
It would definitely bankrupt me. I'd be at all the dinners outside epcot every night!!

If Shaun and I end up moving like he wants to, F&W is going to steal all our extra money in October.

As long as he's aware of that I guess its ok.

girli565
08-08-2007, 06:05 PM
If Shaun and I end up moving like he wants to, F&W is going to steal all our extra money in October.

Lol!! As long as he's aware than it's ok!! I'll be going next year with the Dbf and he has no idea what he's in for. I plan on bankrupting him for real! lol!!

zweihund
08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi all!

I'm Erica and DH is Lionel. Brenda twisted my arm so we're going to join the PFTS. I like to think we're pretty fun too, but that may only be in our heads. Sometimes we break out in geek talk, so you just have to tell us to shush.

Example:
Today at work, "Carry On My Wayward Son" came on the radio and I blurted out that this song is pretty hard to play on Guitar Hero. I got crickets. And a few raised eyebrows.

Anyhow, we haven't booked yet.....do you think it is in danger of selling out?

Looking forward to it. This will be our 4th F&W as a couple, and Lionel's one millionth. Though he contests this.

yearbook50
08-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Lol!! As long as he's aware than it's ok!! I'll be going next year with the Dbf and he has no idea what he's in for. I plan on bankrupting him for real! lol!!
HAHA I understand that.

I'm lucky for this October trip, I only have to pay for 2 nights myself, I have the wedding voucher so I can renew my AP for free, FF miles for the tickets, 3 dinners on my own, and the F&W events (which is why I can do so many this year) so it isn't as expensive as a normal trip. This is good because the wedding is taking most of my extra money and his too. At least when Feb is over, we will have money again (which will then be taken by a house :rolleyes1)

And in other news, so this post is kinda on topic.
The group lady took my information and should be getting back to me tomorrow and tell me if it is even possible.
Something tells me it might not be, but here's for hoping! :goodvibes

yearbook50
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Erica,

HAHA!!!
We'll get along great! I'm incredibly geeky too (and not many of my friends understand the greatness that is Drunken Mario Party on the Wii) except I really suck at Guitar Hero and Shaun makes fun of me for it big time but I can build robots and he can't so I win.

oybolshoi
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi all!

I'm Erica and DH is Lionel. Brenda twisted my arm so we're going to join the PFTS. I like to think we're pretty fun too, but that may only be in our heads. Sometimes we break out in geek talk, so you just have to tell us to shush.

Example:
Today at work, "Carry On My Wayward Son" came on the radio and I blurted out that this song is pretty hard to play on Guitar Hero. I got crickets. And a few raised eyebrows.

Looking forward to it. This will be our 4th F&W as a couple, and Lionel's one millionth. Though he contests this.

Woo hooty hoo, Erica's in the house! :banana: :banana:

Geek talk? Have I mentioned that I was recently nominated by my loving co-workers and employees as Queen of the Dorks for hosting a Harry Potter book release party? And no, I don't have children so that doesn't dilute the dorkiness one bit.

All hail the Dork Lord...:lmao:

Welcome to the party, Erica and Lionel - we're thrilled to have you here!

shovan
08-08-2007, 11:33 PM

If he as been given fair notice, it is definitely A OK in my book!

Now your dear BF may be in for trouble!!! ;) To be into all of this stuff so early on, he is surely go to be in for a big shock!!! ;)

Hi all!

Example:

Woo hooty hoo, Erica's in the house! :banana: :banana:

Geek talk? Have I mentioned that I was recently nominated by my loving co-workers and employees as Queen of the Dorks for hosting a Harry Potter book release party? And no, I don't have children so that doesn't dilute the dorkiness one bit.

All hail the Dork Lord...:lmao:

Welcome to the party, Erica and Lionel - we're thrilled to have you here!

Welocm Erica & Lionel, very happy to have y'all onboard, go book the PFTS now! As far as the Geek stuff goes, maybe the rest of us are the geeks. :confused: Well I know the song & who Harry Potter is, but that's about it!:confused3 :laughing:

girli565
08-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm so excited about meeting you all now!! We are going to have so much fun at the PFTS. We may have to make it an annual thing! :banana:

MAGICinMYHEART
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Just dropped by to say BYE :wave: I'll be leaving early in the morning for WDW will check back in when we return.

Welcome to the group Erica and Lionel.

Beckie

yearbook50
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Beckie,

Have a great trip! :cool1: :cool1:

shovan
08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

And in other news, so this post is kinda on topic.
The group lady took my information and should be getting back to me tomorrow and tell me if it is even possible.
Something tells me it might not be, but here's for hoping! :goodvibes

Melissa, I missed this yesterday. Thanks for making the call! Let's all make a wish on it!!

Just dropped by to say BYE :wave: I'll be leaving early in the morning for WDW will check back in when we return.

Beckie

Beckie, Have a great trip!!! :goodvibes

zweihund
08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Many thanks for the welcome :goodvibes

Krissalee
08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi all!

I like to think we're pretty fun too, but that may only be in our heads. Sometimes we break out in geek talk, so you just have to tell us to shush.

I am with you sweetie! DH and I think we are lots of fun, too. But maybe just for us - we are used to each other, and appreciate our banter.

When ever someone asks me my favorite hobbie, I usually cringe (thinking about their reaction), when I reply, "Reading.":confused3

yearbook50
08-10-2007, 09:17 PM
No good response:

"While we appreciate your interest, this is a walk-about reception format
event, limited seating is available at cocktail style tables. You may
want to ask at the entrance to the event since we do not book any
seating for it."

But at least we tried!

oybolshoi
08-10-2007, 09:36 PM
You get an "A" for effort, which really makes no sense since the letter 'a' isn't even in the word "effort." ;)

All joking aside, thanks for making the attempt. I'm sure with 20+ of us we'll be fine. :goodvibes

Jay and I digest finger-foods best when vertical anyway. :lmao:

zweihund
08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
You get an "A" for effort, which really makes no sense since the letter 'a' isn't even in the word "effort." ;)

All joking aside, thanks for making the attempt. I'm sure with 20+ of us we'll be fine. :goodvibes

Jay and I digest finger-foods best when vertical anyway. :lmao:

:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

I'm currently trying to figure out if I can write a dining review on this and get it published somewhere so I can take it off on my taxes. Of course, I tried that with last year's cruise and it didn't fly. :rolleyes1

Maybe Food and Wine is looking for Disney stories, eh Brenda? :upsidedow

yearbook50
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

I'm currently trying to figure out if I can write a dining review on this and get it published somewhere so I can take it off on my taxes. Of course, I tried that with last year's cruise and it didn't fly. :rolleyes1

Maybe Food and Wine is looking for Disney stories, eh Brenda? :upsidedow

I like your thinking.

dizneykid
08-11-2007, 07:08 AM
No good response:

seating for it."

But at least we tried!

Thanks for trying. :thumbsup2

girli565
08-12-2007, 07:14 AM
No good response:

seating for it."

But at least we tried!
Well at least you tried! Thank you!!
I'm so excited for this trip!! I don't know how I'll make it to Oct. 19th without bursting!

Oh, and a little OT - I just booked my family's Christmas 2008 trip and I feel so overwhelmed!! We're doing the DDP Deluxe so that's SOOOO many ADR's to make! Oh, and my ticker seems so far away for that trip!

yearbook50
08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh, and a little OT - I just booked my family's Christmas 2008 trip and I feel so overwhelmed!! We're doing the DDP Deluxe so that's SOOOO many ADR's to make! Oh, and my ticker seems so far away for that trip!

Thats going to be a great Christmas!

I understand that ADR thing...Shaun and I decided to go all out for our honeymoon and well..i've made like 20 adrs for an 11 day trip...the first person I got was dumb and it took 30 minutes to make 3 adrs and I know that shouldn't be the case...so I called back and got the rest down in 15 minutes.

girli565
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Thats going to be a great Christmas!

I understand that ADR thing...Shaun and I decided to go all out for our honeymoon and well..i've made like 20 adrs for an 11 day trip...the first person I got was dumb and it took 30 minutes to make 3 adrs and I know that shouldn't be the case...so I called back and got the rest down in 15 minutes.
We're going for 6 nights/7 days. I don't even know where to begin because things change when you throw Christmas into the mix, especially with ADR's. But I'm soooo excited! It will be the first family trip that includes the Dbf (or Dfi, I'm just not in the habit of calling him that yet), as family.

The ADR maker thingie that the wdwinfo site has is a major help!! It helps you check off the restaurants you want to do, what day your ressies are for and the 180 mark so you can make the ressies.

yearbook50
08-12-2007, 06:35 PM
We're going for 6 nights/7 days. I don't even know where to begin because things change when you throw Christmas into the mix, especially with ADR's. But I'm soooo excited! It will be the first family trip that includes the Dbf (or Dfi, I'm just not in the habit of calling him that yet), as family.

The ADR maker thingie that the wdwinfo site has is a major help!! It helps you check off the restaurants you want to do, what day your ressies are for and the 180 mark so you can make the ressies.

Its ok...after almost 1.5 years of being engaged, I still call Fi my 'bf' about half of the time.

What dates are you going?

I think if I went over Christmas, I would love to have either Christmas or Christmas Eve at California Grill. And don't plan on going on the parks on Christmas day! I spent Christmas at Disney when I was 10 and I remember walking into the park and 30 minutes later just going back to the room because it was crazy, luckily we were staying at the Contemporary at the time so we just spent time at there, the Poly and the GF to look at their Christmas decorations.

girli565
08-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Its ok...after almost 1.5 years of being engaged, I still call Fi my 'bf' about half of the time.

What dates are you going?

I think if I went over Christmas, I would love to have either Christmas or Christmas Eve at California Grill. And don't plan on going on the parks on Christmas day! I spent Christmas at Disney when I was 10 and I remember walking into the park and 30 minutes later just going back to the room because it was crazy, luckily we were staying at the Contemporary at the time so we just spent time at there, the Poly and the GF to look at their Christmas decorations.
We're going 12/22-12/28, 2008. I wanted to do a Candlelight Processional Package on Christmas Day but a few people have mentioned that parks on that day are nuts, I've been to parks on New Years Eve and that was AWFUL!! But I don't know. I know that my mom wants to do something different for Christmas Eve, because we're cuban and that's really the day we celebrate, so I was thinking Jiko that night, it's not our usual kind of food but Iknow we'll enjoy it. Christmas day may just be Cali grill because we all really love it!

shovan
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
No good response:

seating for it."

But at least we tried!

Melissa, Thanks so much for trying! We really appreciate the effort! I think we'll be fine, if most of us get there early & make a mad rush to grab a few good tables! Last year we had one very close to the stage, it was neat to take be able to sit to eat and watch Cirque!!

Jennifer, That's going to be fun! I really enjoy the planning of our trips & you'll have plenty of time for that! The family trip is going to be exciting starting all new family traditions with your DF along!

yearbook50
08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Jennifer,
That sounds like a nice choice.

girli565
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Jennifer, That's going to be fun! I really enjoy the planning of our trips & you'll have plenty of time for that! The family trip is going to be exciting starting all new family traditions with your DF along!
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, he's never really had a family that celebrates holiday's together so this will be my family's chance to show him how we like to celebrate the holidays. I also want my family to really see he and I together because they are still iffy about him. I want them to love him as much as I do.

Jennifer,
That sounds like a nice choice.

Yeah, my parents are so excited about it, and so am I. :banana:

And your wedding trip sounds incredible. I'm so jealous!;) I'm still tossing around the idea of a Disney Wedding. An intimate one because it's only him, his mom and sister and I only have 12 immediate family members I'd want to invite and who I know would defintely go.

shovan
08-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, he's never really had a family that celebrates holiday's together so this will be my family's chance to show him how we like to celebrate the holidays. I also want my family to really see he and I together because they are still iffy about him. I want them to love him as much as I do.

Yeah, my parents are so excited about it, and so am I. :banana:

And your wedding trip sounds incredible. I'm so jealous!;) I'm still tossing around the idea of a Disney Wedding. An intimate one because it's only him, his mom and sister and I only have 12 immediate family members I'd want to invite and who I know would defintely go.

Jennifer, A Disney Wedding, oooohhhhh!!! Having a small family might actually make it affordable! We checked into it a few years back when we started planning my DD's wedding & :eek: Wow, it sure was expensive. But then we had a pretty big crowd ended up inviting 300 people.

girli565
08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Jennifer, A Disney Wedding, oooohhhhh!!! Having a small family might actually make it affordable! We checked into it a few years back when we started planning my DD's wedding & :eek: Wow, it sure was expensive. But then we had a pretty big crowd ended up inviting 300 people.
I threw out an estimated amount to my mom and stepdad when he was in town a few days ago (this was including the intimate ceremony and a small reception at California Grill for the 16 of us) and they seemed ok with it. It's a heck of alot cheaper than weddings down here in Miami. I think the estimated price was close to $7000. And heck, to get a vacation and wedding in one sounds good to to me!! My parents said they'd pay for the wedding but that we'd be on our own for accomodations and vacation stuff. Works for me!!

yearbook50
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks.

Less than 6 more months and I'm a married woman, :scared1:
but in seriousness,
It was an affordable way to have a really nice wedding for a small number of guests. We have 8 guests, it would have been 18 but I really wanted Sunset Pointe so I was limited - plus we have V&A afterwards and what better way to spend the evening meal.

yearbook50
08-13-2007, 05:39 PM

When I first looked into having a disney wedding, our guest list exloded and we would have had 200 guests...that was about 30/50k depending on ceremony times. I put my foot down and Shaun expressed his concerns and he said he doesn't want something that big since it won't be very personal so we switched to an intimate at Sunset Pointe...4k for the ceremony & cake & toasting. V & A is about 2k for the private room...my parents were happy about the price reduction.

girli565
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks.

Less than 6 more months and I'm a married woman, :scared1:
but in seriousness,
It was an affordable way to have a really nice wedding for a small number of guests. We have 8 guests, it would have been 18 but I really wanted Sunset Pointe so I was limited - plus we have V&A afterwards and what better way to spend the evening meal.
Yeah that's what I was saying to my mom. I'd rather have a small group that I can enjoy the day with than 100+ people that will probably criticize it later for whatever reason. And, besides, I don't even think I know 100+ people, haha :rotfl:
My cousin had a small wedding with a chapel mass/ceremony and lunch at a nice restaurant with 13 people in total and it was in my opinion the nicest wedding I've been to.

Wow, V&A's was $2000, that's like a bargain!! I'm looking at Cali Grill and for the 16 it would be a few dollars over $2000, but it's not even close to the caliber of V&A's!

yearbook50
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow, V&A's was $2000, that's like a bargain!! I'm looking at Cali Grill and for the 16 it would be a few dollars over $2000, but it's not even close to the caliber of V&A's!

I signed a contract with them last February...it going to be 1750 + tax & tip. That include the Fireside Room for our exclusive use + dinner for 10 guests. Each additional guest would be an additional 115 dollars. The maximum amount of guests allowed in the room is 18 or 20 I believe. You can also take off the additional cost items off the menu if you so choose, like I did with the cavier & kobe beef since well, with 10 people each of those choices would really add up.

I'm really excited about it. V&A is one of my favorite dining experiences in Disney - so much, on my January solo trip I went there solo! October I can't really afford to squeeze it in b/c of all the food & wine events. Plus that way I know each of us are guarenteed an outstanding meal and I have no worries about the shellfish even being on Shaun's father's menu so that we don't have to worry about him getting sick.

girli565
08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I signed a contract with them last February...it going to be 1750 + tax & tip. That include the Fireside Room for our exclusive use + dinner for 10 guests. Each additional guest would be an additional 115 dollars. The maximum amount of guests allowed in the room is 18 or 20 I believe. You can also take off the additional cost items off the menu if you so choose, like I did with the cavier & kobe beef since well, with 10 people each of those choices would really add up.

I'm really excited about it. V&A is one of my favorite dining experiences in Disney - so much, on my January solo trip I went there solo! October I can't really afford to squeeze it in b/c of all the food & wine events. Plus that way I know each of us are guarenteed an outstanding meal and I have no worries about the shellfish even being on Shaun's father's menu so that we don't have to worry about him getting sick.
That's a great price! V&A's doesn't have aminimum amount that needs to be spent? I know that California Grill has a $2000 minimum that even with the 16 people I'm thinking would be hard to meet. Dinners are $88 per person and we're planning on bringing in our own champagne so that's a corkage fee of $14 for let's say 15 bottles ($200) and we're still under. We were planning on having the third teir meal because it's what will appeal to everyone and maybe make a small addition to the meals because they are served with seasonal veggies and I'd also like the goat cheese polenta and their potato gallet, to hopefully make it to the $2000 minimum.

Then there's always Narcoossees. It's not as intimate but I know everyone will enjoy the food immensely! And we will have a great time! And there's no minimum purchase or cake cutting fee. Only the corkage fee.

Oh, and one more thing I want to ask, does the cake cutting and toast have to happen right after the ceremony or can we do it at the restaurant after our meal?

yearbook50
08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
v&A has a weird set up - there is no minimum you need to spend like CG because the menu is so set. The only customization you are allowed is taking off the additional priced items and the wine pairings. I only kept the wine pairings and the additional cost fish.

Send me your email address and I'll scan in an (editted) copy of the contract that was sent to me.

Up to 16 guests can be seated at one table together. Max 21 people in the room.

I just figured out what your cost there would be with it all included
1740 - Fireside Room + Dinner for 12 Guests
480 - Dinner for the additional 4 guests (120 pp)
375 - Corkage Fees ($25 - 15 bottles)
2595 - sub-Total
+ tax(6.5%), 20% service fee
for a grand total of:

CG with tax + service fee for the $2000 minimum is $2530

so for 750 more, you would have V&A.

Of course, all prices are subject to change..blah blah blah...but thats based off the information I have currently in my wedding folder.

girli565
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
v&A has a weird set up - there is no minimum you need to spend like CG because the menu is so set. The only customization you are allowed is taking off the additional priced items and the wine pairings. I only kept the wine pairings and the additional cost fish.

Send me your email address and I'll scan in an (editted) copy of the contract that was sent to me.

Up to 16 guests can be seated at one table together. Max 21 people in the room.

I just figured out what your cost there would be with it all included
1740 - Fireside Room + Dinner for 12 Guests
480 - Dinner for the additional 4 guests (120 pp)
375 - Corkage Fees ($25 - 15 bottles)
2595 - sub-Total
+ tax(6.5%), 20% service fee
for a grand total of:

CG with tax + service fee for the $2000 minimum is $2530

so for 750 more, you would have V&A.

Of course, all prices are subject to change..blah blah blah...but thats based off the information I have currently in my wedding folder.
My only problem with V&A's is that I'm not a seafood eater, everyone else it but I just can't look at it, lol. And my Dbf, Dmom and Ddad enjoy it but my aunt and her family would look at the meal like it's from space and so would the Dbf's mom and sister! :rotfl:
The Dbf, Dmom, Ddad and I would enjoy it, I just wouldn't eat the fish but I'd much rather make everyone happy by having it at either Narcoossees or CG. And Narcoossees has no minimum and a set menu. the more I look at narcoossees the more I like the idea of it. Now I just wonder about the cake and toast after the ceremony. Can I change that and save it for the restaurant? I'll PM you my email. Thanks so much!

By the time I call the Disney wedding people I won't even need the planner, haha

yearbook50
08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
By the time I call the Disney wedding people I won't even need the planner, haha

Haha! Well, I've been going through it all now since I'm in the middle of planning everything. In fact, part of my October trip is for the purchasing of my toasting glasses & such. Plus my mother wants to try the Fairy Tale Curve before she buys additional bottles of it for the ceremony.

zweihund
08-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Haha! Well, I've been going through it all now since I'm in the middle of planning everything. In fact, part of my October trip is for the purchasing of my toasting glasses & such. Plus my mother wants to try the Fairy Tale Curve before she buys additional bottles of it for the ceremony.

I loooooooove the Fairy Tale Cuvee. :cloud9:

shovan
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Melissa, Your wedding is going to be so fabulous!!! It all sounds so wonderful! Tell your Mom the Fairy Tale Cuvee is yum, but of course she needs to do the F&W Fest to found out for herself! ;)

Jennifer, I hope you can work out a Disney Wedding for yourself! With all of the planning it takes to do a Destination Wedding you'll be able to market your wedding planning skills!

girli565
08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Melissa, Your wedding is going to be so fabulous!!! It all sounds so wonderful! Tell your Mom the Fairy Tale Cuvee is yum, but of course she needs to do the F&W Fest to found out for herself! ;)

Jennifer, I hope you can work out a Disney Wedding for yourself! With all of the planning it takes to do a Destination Wedding you'll be able to market your wedding planning skills!
Yeah, I'm excited. I know I want a small wedding and Disney is my ideal spot.

Oh, and a funny thing... I just got my Credit card statement and I literally jumped when I saw the balance! haha, all the F&W fest stuff came in on the statement!! Now i'm oficially broke!

shovan
08-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Oh, and a funny thing... I just got my Credit card statement and I literally jumped when I saw the balance! haha, all the F&W fest stuff came in on the statement!! Now i'm oficially broke!

It's on there already! :eek: Yikes, don't think I want to go look!;)

yearbook50
08-15-2007, 08:03 AM

I agree.
I'm just happy I was offered to stay on at my internship until December b/c I definately spent a bit too much money on F&W. At least AP rates came out today and I saved money with that! (124 a night - CBR)

girli565
08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree.
I'm just happy I was offered to stay on at my internship until December b/c I definately spent a bit too much money on F&W. At least AP rates came out today and I saved money with that! (124 a night - CBR)
Well I just got back to work from summer vacation so this friday's paycheck is only one day because teachers started back on Thursday last week:scared1: I'm super broke until my first full paycheck in two weeks. Thank god I spread my checks out over the full 12 months, I think I'd freak if it was only 10 months of pay.

It's on there already! :eek: Yikes, don't think I want to go look!;)
yeah, I was shocked, especially since I had just paid it off last month, lol, oh well:confused3 It's for a good cause!!:cool1:

shovan
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Some interesting new things this year! Greek Wine Bar & Andes Mountain Wine Bar! :cool1: And Rum Cocktails at the Sugan Cane Bar! :banana: Caribbean Food Demos too. This is going to be so great! I'm getting excited!!!

Stroll along the promenade and visit a wide array of countries and regions of the world. Learn from amazing cultural exhibits that showcase native cuisines and offer terrific demonstrations that give insights into the people, as well as the tastes of these remarkable places.

Festival Welcome Center
Visit the hub for all Festival information at the Wonders of Life Pavilion, featuring the Festival Wine Shop, a champagne and wine bar, and the official book signing location for celebrity chefs and authors. Explore the Festival Merchandise Shop featuring marvelous merchandise including Disney Gift Cards, a handy way to pay for so much fun at the Festival!

Oklahoma 1907-2007
This year, Oklahoma is celebrating 100 years of statehood! Discover its unique history and extraordinary future when you step into this experience featuring activities for the entire family. Enjoy Chuck Wagon and Native American cooking demonstrations, listen to Native American storytellers, and indulge the youngsters in activities in an authentic tipi.

The Pearville Fair
Visit this slice of Americana where pears take center stage. Celebrate one of the most important crops from the great Northwest at a traditional county fair. The variety, flavor, diversity and nutritional importance of pears are presented in a series of activities that are designed to engage and enlighten guests of all ages.

10 Day Regional Experiences

Michoacán, Mexico – October 5 - October 14
Puglia, Italy – October 19 - October 28
The Greek Wine Bar Island – October 26-November 4
Visit the Greek Island Wine Bar to sample over 12 wines for sale by the glass. Greek wine is experiencing a Renaissance... the country boasts an incredible range of indigenous grape varietals and today they are being used to make world-class wines.
Twinings Tea Bar
Step into the Twinings Garden to discover the rich history of Twinings tea. A selection of refreshing iced teas is available for purchase from the iced tea bar. Be sure to visit the Tea Caddy to take home your favorite teas and gifts.

Turkey Welcomes You
Step into the wonders of Turkey and visit the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul and the famous Fairy Chimneys of Cappadocia. Enjoy daily complimentary culinary demonstrations with Turkish chefs and learn the art of making traditional coffee. The Grand Bazaar features traditional Turkish crafts, selected food products and wine, and daily presentations by Turkish artisans.

Peru
Celebrate the land of the Incas! Indulge in the flavor of Peru and learn about one of the Seven Wonders of the World; Machu Picchu. Observe Lima's best chefs preparing authentic Peruvian specialties, visit with native artists and visit a shop for Peruvian textiles and hand-carved gourds Complimentary culinary demonstrations daily

Australia: Discover Down Under
Purchase an Aussie Walkabout Passport and join a tasting tour of four major wine regions. Enjoy a wine and beer tasting bar and quench your outback thirst. The Birdsville Provisions shop is the place to browse for amusing Aussie souvenirs and serious wines by the bottle.

Dominican Republic
Discover gastronomy, crafts and music from the tropical paradise of the Dominican Republic.This sun drenched island is a treasured destination for Caribbean cuisine, true sugar cane rum, amber fauna and the Meringue. Enjoy daily culinary demonstrations from The Caribbean Kitchen and entertainment by authentic Meringue dancers. Discover the art of crafting amber jewelry and relax with a rum cocktail available for purchase at the Sugar Cane Bar.

Andes Mountain Wine Bar – featuring Argentina and Chile
Discover some of the best wines from both sides of the Andes mountain range in South America. Over 20 wines will be available for sale by the glass. Don't miss this stop on your Promenade adventures!

The American Wine Adventure – featuring the Napa Valley and New York wine regions
Explore the regional expressions from the East and West coast wine regions in the United States. Purchase wines by the glass for a comparative tasting of different varietals.

The History of Beer in America
Learn the history of beer in the New World and the awesome art and science of brewing. Complimentary seminars daily at 12:30, 1:15, 2:45, 4:15, 5:15, and 6:30p.m.

International Beers of the World
Complimentary seminars daily

yearbook50
08-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Rum Cocktails! I'm all over that one...I think I'm going to be tipsy every time I leave Epcot this trip. So much to try but not enough time. 4 out of my 9 days are already Epcot...may need to make that a bit more :rolleyes1

Its good that they are using the Wonders of Life Pavillion as the hub. I hate to see that area go to waste (and if they run body wars that wouldn't be bad either)

shovan
08-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Rum Cocktails! I'm all over that one...I think I'm going to be tipsy every time I leave Epcot this trip. So much to try but not enough time. 4 out of my 9 days are already Epcot...may need to make that a bit more :rolleyes1

Its good that they are using the Wonders of Life Pavillion as the hub. I hate to see that area go to waste (and if they run body wars that wouldn't be bad either)

I hadn't notice the venue change for the Welcome Center! DH & I really had to slow ourselves down last year. Woke up our 2nd day with headaches!:laughing:

yearbook50
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I hadn't notice the venue change for the Welcome Center! DH & I really had to slow ourselves down last year. Woke up our 2nd day with headaches!:laughing:

Luckily, I don't really get hangovers - unless I mix alcohol types heavily like whiskey, vodka, rum, then some wine then some more whiskey and some more rum however I have since learned :teacher: how to handle myself, most of the time...since this is the wine festival...I'll just start with the rum and then just stick to the wine.

Only 55 more days:hourglass

shovan
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Luckily, I don't really get hangovers - unless I mix alcohol types heavily like whiskey, vodka, rum, then some wine then some more whiskey and some more rum however I have since learned :teacher: how to handle myself, most of the time...since this is the wine festival...I'll just start with the rum and then just stick to the wine.

Only 55 more days:hourglass

:lmao: :rotfl: Yeah, that does tend to be a killer!! :laughing:

Actually I think throwing in a Champagne tasting with all the reds we were trying at the booths, was what gave us trouble. Either that or the beer!? :confused3 ;)

yearbook50
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
:drinking1 :drinking1 :lmao: :rotfl: Yeah, that does tend to be a killer!! :laughing:

Its called the 21st Birthday where the main goal was lets see how fast we can get Meli smashed. 1.75 hours to be exact. The last shot of Jameson did me in. I demanded water at that point from the bartender. And I had to be up at work at 5am the next morning. I try to behave myself now at least when I know I still have to go to work the next day.

:Actually I think throwing in a Champagne tasting with all the reds we were trying at the booths, was what gave us trouble. Either that or the beer!? :confused3 ;)

:drinking1 :drinking1
Prolly that beer
(although I don't really like beer so I avoid it at all costs)

shovan
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Its called the 21st Birthday where the main goal was lets see how fast we can get Meli smashed. 1.75 hours to be exact. The last shot of Jameson did me in. I demanded water at that point from the bartender. And I had to be up at work at 5am the next morning. I try to behave myself now at least when I know I still have to go to work the next day.

Prolly that beer
(although I don't really like beer so I avoid it at all costs)

Melissa, Since I can barely remember turning 21, that in itself explains my longer being able to handle my alcohol! :laughing:

zweihund
08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
The venues sound awesome - I can't wait!

Krissalee
08-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Greek Wines - We did a signature dinner in '05. I just pulled out our menu. We really enjoyed the wines with our dining experience, but we never looked for the wines when we were home. I look forward to trying them again in a more casual environment. If anyone wants to know about the wines served, just let me know.

BTW, I love the Fairy Tale Cuvee. When you all mentioned it, I pulled our bottle out of the wine cooler, just to have a look.:love:

yearbook50
08-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Melissa, Since I can barely remember turning 21, that in itself explains my longer being able to handle my alcohol! :laughing:

Its ok...I am the baby of the bunch.

shovan
08-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Greek Wines - We did a signature dinner in '05. I just pulled out our menu. We really enjoyed the wines with our dining experience, but we never looked for the wines when we were home. I look forward to trying them again in a more casual environment. If anyone wants to know about the wines served, just let me know.

BTW, I love the Fairy Tale Cuvee. When you all mentioned it, I pulled our bottle out of the wine cooler, just to have a look.:love:

Krissalee, I have found that it's not so great to head to F&W & then come home and find the wines, foods, etc. that we had there. It sort of zaps all of the fun out of it! There is just less to look forward to when prepping for the trip. The been there, done that syndrome! We are really bad with that! There are several wines we went looking for after F&W or previous trips that are now regulars in our house. Several Australian wines, Penfolds & Wynns we keep in stock. Also the Italian Banfi, Rosa Regale AND anything we can find from Pierre Sparr.

But I'm not at all familiar with Greek Wines, so if you can give us some comments & tips on it, I'd love to hear it!

shovan
08-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Its ok...I am the baby of the bunch.

Yep, believe me, there is certainly nothing wrong with that!!!! In fact, I really impressed with you & Jennifer! You are both so knowledgeable about all of this F&W stuff that has taken me many years to acquire interest & a taste for!!! :thumbsup2

Krissalee
08-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Krissalee, I have found that it's not so great to head to F&W & then come home and find the wines, foods, etc. that we had there. It sort of zaps all of the fun out of it! There is just less to look forward to when prepping for the trip. The been there, done that syndrome! We are really bad with that! There are several wines we went looking for after F&W or previous trips that are now regulars in our house. Several Australian wines, Penfolds & Wynns we keep in stock. Also the Italian Banfi, Rosa Regale AND anything we can find from Pierre Sparr.

But I'm not at all familiar with Greek Wines, so if you can give us some comments & tips on it, I'd love to hear it!

I have to agree about zapping the fun out of it. I save all my menus, business cards, etc., but when we get home we just remember the experience. We have intentions of going to our local wine store to find a bottle or two, but it never happens, unless we found something we really like. And then, a year later, I am throwing out all the cards (but keep the menus). Plus, I have bought a few of the recipe books of the F&W Fest, but I never made a single dish.:rolleyes1

The Greek wines, I can give the names from the menus, but I really don't remember them in too much detail. I think Greece is really trying to promote their wines, but while browsing at my local store, have never seen any of them on the shelves.

shovan
08-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I have to agree about zapping the fun out of it. I save all my menus, business cards, etc., but when we get home we just remember the experience. We have intentions of going to our local wine store to find a bottle or two, but it never happens, unless we found something we really like. And then, a year later, I am throwing out all the cards (but keep the menus). Plus, I have bought a few of the recipe books of the F&W Fest, but I never made a single dish.:rolleyes1

The Greek wines, I can give the names from the menus, but I really don't remember them in too much detail. I think Greece is really trying to promote their wines, but while browsing at my local store, have never seen any of them on the shelves.

I have to say I'm pretty bad with trying to duplicate the foods too. :sad2: I went on a hunt to try an replicate the Irish Lamb stew we had last year & that Maple Glazed Salmon & Chimichurri Sauce. Luckily they still all taste better when eaten in DisneyWorld! :laughing:

On the Greek wines, are they mostly dry wines or sweet? Mostly whites right?

yearbook50
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Plus, I have bought a few of the recipe books of the F&W Fest, but I never made a single dish.:rolleyes1

Remember when they used to give the recipes for free?
I miss that.

girli565
08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Yep, believe me, there is certainly nothing wrong with that!!!! In fact, I really impressed with you & Jennifer! You are both so knowledgeable about all of this F&W stuff that has taken me many years to acquire interest & a taste for!!! :thumbsup2
Aww shucks!! Thanks! My mom would love to hear that! I just found that I really enjoy learning about the different wines and foods and how they all work with each other. Last year I did the Inbev Beer tasting and it was great, I really don't care for beer but this made me realize I really like Bass Ale and when I see different bers made like Bass Ale I know automatically that I'll like them. To me the knowledge you acquire at these things is the best part!i

yearbook50
08-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks!

I'm really happy that I had parents that exposed me to different cuisines and wines growing up. Although I know its a touchy subject on the Disboards, I went to V&A, Wine Celler (Beckie's prolly been there), Mortons and other such restaurants at an young age and I really think it helped develop a nice pallet. Kids don't learn how to behave in these settings unless they are exposed to them. My mother used to give me (watered down) wine too to show me pairings.

girli565
08-20-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Dominican Republic food booth. I live in a very high hispanic population but that is one food style I have never had. We have all sorts of Nicaraguan, Cuban, Colombian, Puerto Rican (my personal fave, the PR booth 2 years ago did not do it justice!) and more but no Dominican food!

shovan
08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks!

I'm really happy that I had parents that exposed me to different cuisines and wines growing up. Although I know its a touchy subject on the Disboards, I went to V&A, Wine Celler (Beckie's prolly been there), Mortons and other such restaurants at an young age and I really think it helped develop a nice pallet. Kids don't learn how to behave in these settings unless they are exposed to them. My mother used to give me (watered down) wine too to show me pairings.

I understand being ticked off at other guests in restaurants with horribly behaved children. But, that is why they need to be taught proper behavior at home & taken out to dinner in gradual steps. I provide part time day care for my 4 year old niece & have taken her to some "fine" dining places here in New Orleans & she was great! Which also allowed us some nicer dining when her & her parents joined us on our last Disney trip! At home, I like to cook a lot of different ethnic foods & I always try to get her to at least try the dish, even if she won't eat all of it, it has to help. I hope! Unfortunately, for my DD 25, we had not acquired some of the tastes (nor the budget) that we now have. So her exposure to finer dining was limited to her teen years. Although we always took her out & expected proper behavior while dining anywhere.

I'm really looking forward to the Dominican Republic food booth. I live in a very high hispanic population but that is one food style I have never had. We have all sorts of Nicaraguan, Cuban, Colombian, Puerto Rican (my personal fave, the PR booth 2 years ago did not do it justice!) and more but no Dominican food!

Aww shucks!! Thanks! My mom would love to hear that! I just found that I really enjoy learning about the different wines and foods and how they all work with each other. Last year I did the Inbev Beer tasting and it was great, I really don't care for beer but this made me realize I really like Bass Ale and when I see different bers made like Bass Ale I know automatically that I'll like them. To me the knowledge you acquire at these things is the best part!i

Well tell your Mom she has done a great job! It's not an easy job with all kids, some really get set in eating & drinking the same darn thing day in & out! Beer was easy for me, lots of beer drinkers in our family! And even though my favorite wines are now strong bold reds, it took years before I even liked red wine.

Dominican Republic we'll be a new one for us too! We have a pretty large hispanic population here in New Orleans, mostly Cuban, Mexican and Central American. One of our fav local places is Salvadoran, delicious Pupusas! So food samples at the culinary demo would be nice!;) We've stopped in Jamaica on a cruise, but I don't think eating at Margaritaville can qualify as a true Caribbean culinary experience! :laughing:

shovan
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
This was posted on another thread by PatriciaH!!! "Insider" info from a friend of hers!

International Marketplaces
Sample the splendid authentic flavors of more than 25
countries and regions as you take a tasty trip around
World Showcase. Tempt yourself at each marketplace
with beverages and appetizer-sized portions averaging
from $2.00 -$4.00.
The following countries will be featured:

Argentina
Food Offerings: Spicy Beef Empanada, Grilled Beef with
Chimichurri Sauce, Dulce de Leche
Beverage Offerings: Bodega Norton Reserva Cabernet
Sauvignon, Bodega Norton Reserva Malbec ,
Bodega Norton Torrontes, Bodega Norton Chardonnay

Mexico
Food Offerings: Chilaquiles, Quesadilla con Chorizo
Beverage Offerings: Wine L.A. Cetto Chardonnay, Wine
L.A. Cetto Petite Sirah, Dos Equis Beer, Conga Juice

Chile
Food Offerings: Shrimp con Pebre Salsa, Tomaticán with
Manchego Cheese, Mango and Strawberry Fruit Salad with
Cilantro
Beverage Offerings: Santa Rita Reserva Chardonnay,
Montes Cabernet-Carménère, Montes Leyda Vineyard
Sauvignon Blanc , Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet
Sauvignon

Dominican Republic
Food Offerings: Habichuelas Rojas Guisadas (Baked Red
Beans and Ham Stew), Pastelon de Platanos Amarillos
(Ripe Plaintain and Vegetable Casserole topped with
Avocado Chunks), Coconut Flan
Beverage Offerings: Presidente Beer, Presidente Light
Beer

China
Food Offerings: Chicken Sha Cha, Pork Pot Stickers,
Caramel Ginger Ice Cream
Beverage Offerings: Dragon’s Hollow Chardonnay,
Tsingtao Pure Draft Beer, Tsingtao Beer & Green Tea
Plum Wine Cooler

South Africa
Food Offerings: Durban Spiced Chicken on a Skewer,
Bobotie with Mango Chutney, Spice Cake with Marinated
Fruit
Beverage Offerings: Goat Door Chardonnay, Fairview
Sauvignon Blanc (New), Goats do Roam Red, Bored Doe
(Bordeaux Red Blend)

--
Australia
Food Offerings: Shrimp on the Barbie, Grilled Lamb
Chop with Caramelized Onions, Macadamia Nut and
Chocolate Bar
Beverage Offerings: Rosemount Traminer Riesling,
Benjamin Tawny Port, Foster’s Lager, Wolf Blass
President’s Select Shiraz, Penfolds Koonunga Hill
Shiraz- Cabernet

Germany
Food Offerings: Spaetzle with Creamy Mushroom Ragoût,
Debriziner Sausage with Sauerkraut in a Pretzel Roll,
Apple Strudel
Beverage Offerings: S.A. Prüm Blue Slate Riesling
Kabinett, S.A. Prüm Essence Riesling, S.A. Prüm
Riesling Spätlese, Schloss Reinhartshausen Riesling,
Beck’s

Italy
Food Offerings: Insalata Caprese Salad (Mozzarella and
Tomato Salad), Lasagna Al Forno, Pizza, Zuppa Inglese
(Rum Cake with Vanilla Cream and Candied Fruit)
Beverage Offerings: Sant’Elena Pinot Grigio, Cecchi
Chianti Classico, Braida Moscato di Asti, Peroni Beer,
Lemonata Soda

Champagne
Food Offerings: Duo of Chocolate Truffles
Beverage Offerings: Moët & Chandon Wines, White Star,
Rosé Impérial, Nectar Impérial, Nectar Impérial Rosé

Hops & Barley Market
Food Offerings: New England Crab Cake with
Barley-Lentil Salad, Samuel Adams Boston Lager Glazed
Chicken Drum
Beverage Offerings: Samuel Adams Beers: Black Lager,
Boston Lager, Light, Boston Ale, Cream Stout, Cherry
Wheat, Pale Ale, Honey Porter, Octoberfest, 12th Year
Anniversary Festival Beer

USA
Food Offerings: Maine Lobster Roll, BBQ Pork Rib with
Cole Slaw, Strawberry Shortcake
Beverage Offerings: Dr. Konstantin Frank Riesling,
Beaulieu Vineyard Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, Palmer
Chardonnay, Sterling Napa Merlot

Oklahoma/ Native American
Food Offerings: TBD
Beverage Offerings: TBD

Japan
Food Offerings: Spicy Tuna Roll, California Sushi
Roll, Crispy Sukiyaki Beef Roll, Vegetable Roll
Beverage Offerings: Takara Plum Wine, Ozeki Dry Sake,
Kirin Ichiban Draft Beer, Bonki Sake

India
Food Offerings: Curried Butternut Squash Soup with
Paratha Bread, Samosa with Tamarind Sauce, Coconut
Indian Rice Pudding
Beverage Offerings: Grover Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc,
Sula Chenin Blanc, Grover Vineyards Cabernet-Shiraz

Morocco
Food Offerings: Kefta (Beef Pocket), Bastilla (Chicken
Pie), Walnut Baklava
Beverage Offerings: Guerrouane Red, Bodegas Pinord
Moscatel, Casa Beer, Zambra Sangria, Mint Iced Tea

Spain
Food Offerings: Taste of Spain: Almonds, Olives,
Chorizo, Papas con Chorizo (Potatoes and Spicy
Sausage)
Spicy Calamari Stew with Saffron Rice
Beverage Offerings: Don Olegario Albariño , Abadiá
Retuerta Selección Especial, Bodegas Julián Chivite
Gran Feudo Rosé, Abadiá Retuerta Rivola

--
Turkey
Food Offerings: Meze (Eggplant Purée, Bostana and
Turkish Black Olives with Pita Bread), Manti with
Yogurt Sauce, Authentic Pistachio Baklava from Turkey
Beverage Offerings: Kavaklidere® Selection Kirmizi
Red, Kavaklidere® Selection Beyaz White, Kavaklidere®
Çankaya White, Kavaklidere® Yakut Red, Efes Pilsen
Beer

France
Food Offerings: Escargot Persillade en Brioche, Quiche
au Fromage de Chevre), Coupe de Sorbets Champagne,
Framboise & Chocolat Blanc
Beverage Offerings: Hobnob Chardonnay, Château
Haut-Mondain, Bordeaux Rouge, Sparkling Pomegranate
Kir, Bernard Sparr Extrem Riesling, Red Cognac and
Cranberry Cocktail
Great Beers of the World
Food Offerings: Pretzel and Pita Chips
Beverage Offerings: Hoegaarden®, Stella Artois, Leffe
Blonde, Bass Ale, Boddingtons Ale

Ireland
Food Offerings: TBD Chilled Potato Leek Soup with an
Irish Cheddar Cheese Stick, Boxty with Bacon Chips and
Kerrygold® Garlic and Fresh Herb Butter, Irish Cheese
Plate and Brown Bread with Apple Chutney and
Kerrygold® Irish Butter
Beverage Offerings: Guinness® Draught , Bunratty Meade
Honey Wine, Frozen Irish Coffee

Poland
Food Offerings: Cabbage Roll with Spiced Beef,
Kielbasa and Potato Pierogies, Paczki
Beverage Offerings: Okocim Beer, Cline Ancient Vines
Zinfandel, Kasztelanski Honey Wine, Nalewka Babuni
Raspberry Wine

Canada
Food Offerings: Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, Maple
Glazed Salmon with Roasted Corn and Arugula, Maple
Custard topped with Almond Crumble
Beverage Offerings: Mission Hill SLC Chardonnay,
Mission Hill Reserve Riesling Icewine, Mission Hill
SLC Merlot (New)
Labatt Blue

Greece
Food Offerings: Greek Salad, Spanakopita, Karydopita
(Coffee and Walnut Cake)
Beverage Offerings: Boutari Moschofilero, Boutari
Naoussa, Tsantali Rapsani, Creta Olympias Xerolithia

New Zealand
Food Offerings: Marinated Seafood Salad, Lamb Slider,
Kiwi and Custard Roll
Beverage Offerings: Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Villa
Maria Cabernet Sauvignon–Merlot , Villa Maria
Chardonnay , Villa Maria Pinot Noir

Peru
Food Offerings: Shrimp Escabeche, Aroz con Pato (Duck
with Cilantro Rice), Lúcuma Mousse with an Alfajores
Cookie
Beverage Offerings: Tabernero Gran Rosé, Tacama Gran
Tinto, Tabernero Cabernet Sauvignon, Tabernero Borgoña

zweihund
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Hrm.....is it me, or is it shockingly similar to last year? Maybe it's just that the main things that stuck out at me were all the same.

No Creme Brulee? I might have to die :scared1:

This did make me chuckle though:

Champagne
Food Offerings: Duo of Chocolate Truffles
Beverage Offerings: Moët & Chandon Wines, White Star,
Rosé Impérial, Nectar Impérial, Nectar Impérial Rosé

Last year it was advertised as a trio.....so it makes me wonder if I will get a box with only one truffle this year :rolleyes1

Still, some good sounding things! It looks like there will be plenty of new things for this vegetarian to try out this year - wheee!

shovan
08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Hrm.....is it me, or is it shockingly similar to last year? Maybe it's just that the main things that stuck out at me were all the same.

This did make me chuckle though:

Last year it was advertised as a trio.....so it makes me wonder if I will get a box with only one truffle this year :rolleyes1

Still, some good sounding things! It looks like there will be plenty of new things for this vegetarian to try out this year - wheee!

Since this is only our 2nd year, I don't know how much it usually changes from year to year? Anyone? It seems very similar to me & yet some of the things I was hoping for, are gone, and some that they could have done away with are still there!? ;)

I noticed that with the truffles too!! :lmao: So next year I'm sure it'll be down to one truffle!

Since this is a post from someone else, I can't verify any of this info one way or the other, so this may all be erroneous info!?

oybolshoi
08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
popping in quickly while I should be working... there do seem to be a lot of repeats from last year. I've noticed that a lot over the last five years or so... the food booth choices really don't change as much as I thought they would.

But it does sound like there will still be some yummy snackables.

I'm with Erica... Hey France, what happened to the creme brulee? If you're looking for a constant menu item to offer F&W patrons from year-to-year I'd suggest that as opposed to snails bathing in butter sauce or wrapped in a pastry blankie. ;)

yearbook50
08-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm with Erica... Hey France, what happened to the creme brulee? If you're looking for a constant menu item to offer F&W patrons from year-to-year I'd suggest that as opposed to snails bathing in butter sauce or wrapped in a pastry blankie. ;)

Agreed!

I'm happy to see one of the wines I drank in South Africa is being offered Fairview Sauvignon Blanc (New)

yearbook50
08-20-2007, 05:51 PM
As I'm going through the list and making it more readable in a word file to send out to my mother and father I noticed the sub for the creme is Coupe de Sorbets Champagne which seems really exciting. I'm glad I have 4 days in Epcot this next trip or else I wouldn't be able to try all this without being rolled out!

TDC Nala
08-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Since this is only our 2nd year, I don't know how much it usually changes from year to year? Anyone? It seems very similar to me & yet some of the things I was hoping for, are gone, and some that they could have done away with are still there!? ;)

I noticed that with the truffles too!! :lmao: So next year I'm sure it'll be down to one truffle!

Since this is a post from someone else, I can't verify any of this info one way or the other, so this may all be erroneous info!?

In 2009 they will have a paper plate with a truffle printed on it.

Sorry, I invade all the food and wine threads.

yearbook50
08-20-2007, 07:36 PM

So did you finally decide to join us in the 20th?

TDC Nala
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
So did you finally decide to join us in the 20th?

I have three dates to choose from.

I will do two of the parties this year, I did three last year and it was one too many. One will be November 3.

My mother's along on Oct 6 but she wanted a wine school. Now we are thinking wine school and P4TS in one day is too much.

So she is deciding whether to come back on the 20th and do the party then. If she can't I will choose between the 20th and September 29.

But I'll be in town, I do have the "Eating Nemo" Living Seas sig dinner on the 21st.

yearbook50
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
But I'll be in town, I do have the "Eating Nemo" Living Seas sig dinner on the 21st.
Awww...don't eat Nemo...he's too cute.
I'll eat his friends though (or at least I hope I have fish at my Living Seas Food and Wine Pairing)

TDC Nala
08-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Awww...don't eat Nemo...he's too cute.
I'll eat his friends though (or at least I hope I have fish at my Living Seas Food and Wine Pairing)

I hear fish are food AND friends.

girli565
08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Well tell your Mom she has done a great job! It's not an easy job with all kids, some really get set in eating & drinking the same darn thing day in & out! Beer was easy for me, lots of beer drinkers in our family! And even though my favorite wines are now strong bold reds, it took years before I even liked red wine.

Dominican Republic we'll be a new one for us too! We have a pretty large hispanic population here in New Orleans, mostly Cuban, Mexican and Central American. One of our fav local places is Salvadoran, delicious Pupusas! So food samples at the culinary demo would be nice!;) We've stopped in Jamaica on a cruise, but I don't think eating at Margaritaville can qualify as a true Caribbean culinary experience! :laughing:
Well I know my mom will love to hear that! I was that child that you would ask what she wanted to eat and I would spout off "Red Lobster, Dalts (a fine american cuisine restaurant that closed years ago), Outback..." never McDonald's or BK. lol, or I would rather eat at home and have a nice homecooked meal. Fast food has only been something I eat now, and the horrifying love I have for Taco Bell (or taco Hell as my mom calls it) is disgusting :lmao:
I love the Nicaraguan food places, they call them fritanga here, so good!!! I can eat Cuban food at home, and it's awesome so I can't really eat it out because it doesn't compare to my mom's food.

Very similar but as long as they don't take the mexican stuff away I will be happy. I am disappointed about the creme brulee. That chocolate one was sooooo delicious.:love:

zweihund
08-21-2007, 03:07 PM
popping in quickly while I should be working... there do seem to be a lot of repeats from last year. I've noticed that a lot over the last five years or so... the food booth choices really don't change as much as I thought they would.

Brenda, you're alive! :woohoo: ;)

According to my husband, who has been to a few more of these things than I have, most of the menu does stay the same from year to year. I guess I've just always been too tipsy and full to notice? :rolleyes1

Anyone else cut and paste the menu to word, so that you can highlight? Or was it just me.....

cdtommie
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Great Beers of the World

Tom the beer man here...this is definitely an upgrade - Hoegaarden and Leffe Blond are much better choices than they previously offered. These will likely be the beers the free tasting at the R&C too. Far more drinkable than the usual Epcot stuff.

yearbook50
08-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Anyone else cut and paste the menu to word, so that you can highlight? Or was it just me.....

I did that! And reformatted it too so that it looked a lot nicer.

So much I want to try!

shovan
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM

Brenda, Wondering where you'd been! I'm glad to see you around too! I agree they should have kept the creme brulee & done away with the chewy snails! I'm happy they kept that goat cheese pastry though, yummy!

:rotfl:

Well I know my mom will love to hear that! I was that child that you would ask what she wanted to eat and I would spout off "Red Lobster, Dalts (a fine american cuisine restaurant that closed years ago), Outback..." never McDonald's or BK. lol, or I would rather eat at home and have a nice homecooked meal. Fast food has only been something I eat now, and the horrifying love I have for Taco Bell (or taco Hell as my mom calls it) is disgusting :lmao:
I love the Nicaraguan food places, they call them fritanga here, so good!!! I can eat Cuban food at home, and it's awesome so I can't really eat it out because it doesn't compare to my mom's food.

Very similar but as long as they don't take the mexican stuff away I will be happy. I am disappointed about the creme brulee. That chocolate one was sooooo delicious.:love:

I hope you're learning how to cook all of your Mom's dishes! I think I've finally mastered ropa vieja but I've bombed big time on the rice & beans! :confused3(The recipe I had called for cooking the beans & rice together, uck! Came out as a thick gloppy mess! I'll have to websurf for another recipe & try that again.)

Great Beers of the World

Tom the beer man here...this is definitely an upgrade - Hoegaarden and Leffe Blond are much better choices than they previously offered. These will likely be the beers the free tasting at the R&C too. Far more drinkable than the usual Epcot stuff.

Beer Man, those sound interesting. Don't think we've ever tried either one of those or any type of White Ale! We'll definitely have to make a couple of stops there. Thanks!

I did that! And reformatted it too so that it looked a lot nicer.

So much I want to try!

Good idea! :thumbsup2 I'll have to go reformat it now!

yearbook50
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Oklahoma - Native American
Three Sister Soup
Seared Buffalo with Scalloped Wild Onions

I just saw those listed on Allears!
I haven't had buffalo in forever, I'm excited about that!

girli565
08-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I hope you're learning how to cook all of your Mom's dishes! I think I've finally mastered ropa vieja but I've bombed big time on the rice & beans! :confused3(The recipe I had called for cooking the beans & rice together, uck! Came out as a thick gloppy mess! I'll have to websurf for another recipe & try that again.)
Yeah, I'm definitely learning how to cook it all!! Ropa Vieja is my absolute favorite meal!! I have to beg Mom to make that because she hates pounding the meat out lol!!
The rice & beans recipe was probably for Con Gris (red beans and rice mixed and cooked together) Moro is black beans and rice cooked together (Con Gris literally means With Grey and Moro, I have no idea what that means, lol). I hate con gris and moro, but I love black beans and white rice.

I'll give you a secret to AWESOME black beans... start from the can!! Buy the can of "ready to Eat" goya or Kirby beans and then you add stuff to make the magic!! For a large can we use one palmful of dried oregano (crush it in your hands), 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of any kind of cooking wine (I know, not good stuff but for beans its a must!!), fill up a 1/3 of the bean can with water and put that in too, half a palmful of black pepper and finally, the secret ingredient... half a red bell pepper, seeded but put in whole. It's for flavor and you pull it out after the beans are done. Cook the beans for 20-30 minutes on medium until they are thick to your liking and the oregano is soft. You salt the beans to taste towards the end of the cooking. Also, if you have some chicken smaltz or rendered pork fat (NOT BACON!!) add a heaping tablespoon when you add the olive oil. it will give them a depth of flavor that makes it taste you were cooking them all day!! And then that's it! Make your white rice however you make it and sppon the beans over the rice and enjoy!:thumbsup2

Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Three Sister Soup

Mmmmm, I've only had buffalo once and was not too keen on it but I will definitely try it again! I wonder what's Three Sister Soup?

shovan
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Oklahoma - Route 66
Pecan Pie
Native Peach Buckle

Three Sister Soup

Mmmm sounds yummy! I did notice that Allears has the prices at $2 - $6, that's pretty much the same prices we saw last year.

shovan
08-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely learning how to cook it all!! Ropa Vieja is my absolute favorite meal!! I have to beg Mom to make that because she hates pounding the meat out lol!!
The rice & beans recipe was probably for Con Gris (red beans and rice mixed and cooked together) Moro is black beans and rice cooked together (Con Gris literally means With Grey and Moro, I have no idea what that means, lol). I hate con gris and moro, but I love black beans and white rice.

I'll give you a secret to AWESOME black beans... start from the can!! Buy the can of "ready to Eat" goya or Kirby beans and then you add stuff to make the magic!! For a large can we use one palmful of dried oregano (crush it in your hands), 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/3 cup of any kind of cooking wine (I know, not good stuff but for beans its a must!!), fill up a 1/3 of the bean can with water and put that in too, half a palmful of black pepper and finally, the secret ingredient... half a red bell pepper, seeded but put in whole. It's for flavor and you pull it out after the beans are done. Cook the beans for 20-30 minutes on medium until they are thick to your liking and the oregano is soft. You salt the beans to taste towards the end of the cooking. Also, if you have some chicken smaltz or rendered pork fat (NOT BACON!!) add a heaping tablespoon when you add the olive oil. it will give them a depth of flavor that makes it taste you were cooking them all day!! And then that's it! Make your white rice however you make it and sppon the beans over the rice and enjoy!:thumbsup2

Mmmmm, I've only had buffalo once and was not too keen on it but I will definitely try it again! I wonder what's Three Sister Soup?

Thanks Jennifer!!! I'm going to put that in my recipe file right now! Glad to hear I can start with the canned beans, who would have known! Really cooking wine? I don't usually keep it in the house, do I need to buy one for the beans or could I use a cheapie regular wine. ( I usually keep a large bottle of inexpensive but half decent red & white for cooking.)

dizneykid
08-23-2007, 08:54 AM

Wow, your black bean recipe sounds yummy. I'm going to keep this one!!

yearbook50
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM

Seems to be a soup made of corn, squash and beans which should be interesting.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Three-Sisters-Soup/Detail.aspx

shovan
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM

I wonder if it will be made with the corn or with the hominy (grits here in the south)? That would be very different, but heck I'll try anything once!

girli565
08-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks Jennifer!!! I'm going to put that in my recipe file right now! Glad to hear I can start with the canned beans, who would have known! Really cooking wine? I don't usually keep it in the house, do I need to buy one for the beans or could I use a cheapie regular wine. ( I usually keep a large bottle of inexpensive but half decent red & white for cooking.)
I think the cooking wine is a must but that's only because we always have it in my house, I wouldn't go out and buy a bottle if you normally don't buy it so cheapie white wine instead would be fine! I love this recipe, I could eat black beans all the time and the can makes them so easy. But it HAS TO BE the "Ready to Eat" ones, the other kind are super bland.
Also if you make a batch with 2 of the large cans you can freeze half and it's perfect for a quick meal one day down the road. I think I have beans in the freezer right now that are at least 3 months old.

And now you can say that you have authentic Cuban black beans!:banana: :banana:

Wow, your black bean recipe sounds yummy. I'm going to keep this one!!
Good!! I'm so glad! And starting from the can really makes them so easy to make on a whim. And it is super yummy, especially when you add the smaltz or rendered pork fat! They taste like you have been slaving away at the stove all day!!

Hmm, very interesting. I really don't like corn in my soups but I'll try anything.:cool1:

OH!! ANd I forgot one thing for the bean recipe... a quarter of a palmful of cumin! That really makes them taste authentic.

TDC Nala
08-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm almost ready to sign up now that I see Keegan Gerhard is there on the 20th.

Krissalee
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I saw the info that Keegan would be at the F&W Fest on 10/18 and 10/20, but it didn't give the info on WHERE he would be. Will he be at PFTS? I love him, especially after experiencing him (not him, that is obscene, but his presentation) last last year at Sweet Sundays. He is my big celebrity crush!!!!

TDC Nala
08-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I saw the info that Keegan would be at the F&W Fest on 10/18 and 10/20, but it didn't give the info on WHERE he would be. Will he be at PFTS? I love him, especially after experiencing him (not him, that is obscene, but his presentation) last last year at Sweet Sundays. He is my big celebrity crush!!!!

well, it doesn't say he will be at P4TS but he's scheduled for October 18 and 20 and he isn't doing any other events. Most likely he'll do a free demo but I'd bet he's going to do something else, the party is a good bet.

Mr. Gerhard was the highlight of the first food and wine festival I went to in 2000, they had an event in the Odyssey called the Grand Tasting (like P4TS but much much smaller) and he made some sort of mango ravioli in a martini glass, and I had so many of them that when he saw me walk by his table he'd just hold out a glass for me.

Krissalee
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Keegan Gerhard! :love: I will be on the look-out for him.

I loved his wedding special on the Food Network. Last year, at the Sweet Sundays I attended, he had his then-fiance with him. Adorable!

yearbook50
08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Keegan Gerhard! :love: I will be on the look-out for him.

I loved his wedding special on the Food Network. Last year, at the Sweet Sundays I attended, he had his then-fiance with him. Adorable!

Which session were you at last year?
My mother and I were at the afternoon session - she had too much fun that day trying to get me drunk.

I love Keegan too!!!

girli565
08-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Keegan is adorable. My mom will be so excited to see him! His wedding special was really interesting with all those cakes.

Krissalee
08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Which session were you at last year?
My mother and I were at the afternoon session - she had too much fun that day trying to get me drunk.

I love Keegan too!!!

I looked at my old itinerary. We were at the afternoon session on 10/15. Yearbook50, Do you remember him looking for the grumpiest person in the room? And how she reacted!

yearbook50
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I looked at my old itinerary. We were at the afternoon session on 10/15. Yearbook50, Do you remember him looking for the grumpiest person in the room? And how she reacted!

Yes. She sure was a sour face wasn't she? That was priceless. My mother wanted to remind her that when in Disney, one should be happy especially when you are being given alcohol and desserts.

I liked the lady that went to the event faithfully even though she was sick and couldn't actually eat any of the desserts. Keegan made her feel special :D

Krissalee
08-25-2007, 08:42 PM
I liked the lady that went to the event faithfully even though she was sick and couldn't actually eat any of the desserts. Keegan made her feel special :D

I completely forgot about that! It sure is a 'small world.':hippie:

oybolshoi
08-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi everybody! been really busy but I did want to let you all know that it's still a no-go on the Sushi pairings (just talked to a CM today). Jay and I have decided that we're going to have our own sushi pairing over at Kimonos (it's at the Swolphin). We've never eaten there but the menu looks pretty extensive and seems reasonably priced so we're going to give it a go.

Also... anyone doing a pairing at Coral Reef on 10/24? I wanted to go for the Seas Salon pairing on 10/17 but it sounds like all of those are sold out so I opted for Coral Reef a week later so we could end our trip on a "high" note (I hope).

We did a pairing at Coral Reef last year and it was one of the highlights of our trip, so I'm hoping we have the same kind of experience this year.

Hope everyone is doing well - I hope to catch up this weekend. :goodvibes

shovan
08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi everybody! been really busy but I did want to let you all know that it's still a no-go on the Sushi pairings (just talked to a CM today). Jay and I have decided that we're going to have our own sushi pairing over at Kimonos (it's at the Swolphin). We've never eaten there but the menu looks pretty extensive and seems reasonably priced so we're going to give it a go.

Also... anyone doing a pairing at Coral Reef on 10/24? I wanted to go for the Seas Salon pairing on 10/17 but it sounds like all of those are sold out so I opted for Coral Reef a week later so we could end our trip on a "high" note (I hope).

We did a pairing at Coral Reef last year and it was one of the highlights of our trip, so I'm hoping we have the same kind of experience this year.

Hope everyone is doing well - I hope to catch up this weekend. :goodvibes

Hey Brenda, We have Coral Reef booked on the 24th!!! That will be fun to see you & Jay there too!:goodvibes

yearbook50
08-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Brenda - too bad about the 10/17 Pairing. I'll be at that one.

One cool thing about kimono's is that there is karoke at night. So - you could make a complete fool of yourself.

oybolshoi
08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey Brenda, We have Coral Reef booked on the 24th!!! That will be fun to see you & Jay there too!:goodvibes

Excellent! Now I know it will be a good time! :thumbsup2

Brenda - too bad about the 10/17 Pairing. I'll be at that one.

One cool thing about kimono's is that there is karoke at night. So - you could make a complete fool of yourself.

I must have read All Ears' sell out dates wrong because I thought there was still room on the 17th and I just decided today that it would have been a fun way to celebrate my birthday. But the CM said it was sold out for the 17th and there aren't any other dates on our trip that will work. You'll just have to take some pictures and let the rest of know how it was when we see you on the 20th. :goodvibes

As for making a fool of myself... why I don't need karaoke for that! I do just fine without any kind of theme music or accessories. :rotfl2:

shovan
08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Jennifer, I'm going to fix your cuban black beans for dinner tonight!:thumbsup2 I have the ropa vieja cooking now! With the beans & rice, maybe a little cabbage salad we should have a yummy dinner!! Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know how it comes out!! (I'm sure it wouldn't come close to anything your Mom cooks though!)

girli565
08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Jennifer, I'm going to fix your cuban black beans for dinner tonight!:thumbsup2 I have the ropa vieja cooking now! With the beans & rice, maybe a little cabbage salad we should have a yummy dinner!! Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know how it comes out!! (I'm sure it wouldn't come close to anything your Mom cooks though!)

oooh, let me know how it goes?!! Don't forget the cumin!! I know it's a personal taste thing but they realy make the beans so ethnic tasting, lol. That's the best way I can describe it! Enjoy them!!

BriarRosie
08-29-2007, 12:05 AM

I'm crashing this thread to say, hmm, Make Your Own Sushi Meet on 10/15
at Kimono's? I'm down with that. :goodvibes If they won't let us have a
pairing, then we'll toss some anarchy into the mix. Woot! :banana:

shovan
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
oooh, let me know how it goes?!! Don't forget the cumin!! I know it's a personal taste thing but they realy make the beans so ethnic tasting, lol. That's the best way I can describe it! Enjoy them!!

I didn't forget it! Cumin is a regular staple in our house! I also used Mexican oregano, which I figured is closer to the original stuff, I hope! It was yummy! I took pics but the camera card wasn't in the camera, so I'll have to figure out how to move them now! Anyway, the beans were delicious and so much easier than that other recipe I tried!!!! Thanks again! :goodvibes

yearbook50
08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Going off the other F&W Thread

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4347/winefestivalwc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Doubt I would actually wear a shirt with that though.

eeyore45
08-29-2007, 08:02 PM
On the Shirt forum a few years ago they had the 3D Mickey Heads with some awesome F&W shirts - but I'm like you Yearbook, I'm not sure I'd wear a tshirt - but I sure loved Rattatouie...

yearbook50
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
On the Shirt forum a few years ago they had the 3D Mickey Heads with some awesome F&W shirts - but I'm like you Yearbook, I'm not sure I'd wear a tshirt - but I sure loved Rattatouie...

I made that graphic so I would have to order the shirt :p

girli565
08-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Sheryl,

I'm so glad the beans were good! The can really makes them super easy. Funny thing is, my grandmother will make them from dry beans and I still prefer the can.

shovan
08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Sheryl,

I'm so glad the beans were good! The can really makes them super easy. Funny thing is, my grandmother will make them from dry beans and I still prefer the can.

:offtopic: Sorry to take everyone a bit OT here.

Jennifer, Here is a pic of the whole meal. The pic didn't come out too well, but the dinner was yummy. It's ropa vieja with Your Beans & saffron rice. We had an avocado onion tomato salad on the side with a cuban dressing I found online & of course we need a cocktail to go with it, so in sticking with the theme we had Mojito's! Yummy! Thanks again!:thanks:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p289/bshovan/What%20is%20for%20Dinner/100_1546.jpg

girli565
08-30-2007, 10:13 AM

Jennifer, Here is a pic of the whole meal. The pic didn't come out too well, but the dinner was yummy. It's ropa vieja with Your Beans & saffron rice. We had an avocado onion tomato salad on the side with a cuban dressing I found online & of course we need a cocktail to go with it, so in sticking with the theme we had Mojito's! Yummy! Thanks again!:thanks:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p289/bshovan/What%20is%20for%20Dinner/100_1546.jpg
Mmmm, that looks so yummy. We have an avocado and red onion salad with it too. We dress it with balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper. We usually eat the beans with white rice and a pechuga a la plancha (flattened chicken breast) that's seasoned with our house seasoning and then pan fried. Then we use the oil and drippings in the pan to flash fry diced white onions and then add fresh parsley to it as a topping. It's so yummy!

yearbook50
08-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Sheryl,
That looks really good.

shovan
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Mmmm, that looks so yummy. We have an avocado and red onion salad with it too. We dress it with balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper. We usually eat the beans with white rice and a pechuga a la plancha (flattened chicken breast) that's seasoned with our house seasoning and then pan fried. Then we use the oil and drippings in the pan to flash fry diced white onions and then add fresh parsley to it as a topping. It's so yummy!

Oh man, I want to come to your house for dinner!!! That sounds wonderful! :goodvibes

I knew the yellow rice wasn't traditional, but after fixing the ropa vieja, I took the easy route with a packaged rice! The dressing was olive oil, vinegar, lemon, & chopped garlic.

Sheryl,
That looks really good.

Thanks! I love the graphic with your quote! :goodvibes It's cute! Don't know yet if I'd wear it on a t-shirt either though! Well on vacation & drinking lots of wine, well yes I would wear it!:laughing:

girli565
08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh man, I want to come to your house for dinner!!! That sounds wonderful! :goodvibes

I knew the yellow rice wasn't traditional, but after fixing the ropa vieja, I took the easy route with a packaged rice! The dressing was olive oil, vinegar, lemon, & chopped garlic.

We by huge packs of boneless chicken breast to flatten, season, wrap and freeze them up so we always have a meal that can be ready in 7 minutes flat. If yu open my freezer right now there's the flattened chicken, some black beans and always pork chops. So easy to make ina rush.

Well if you're ever in the area and I've got some pechuga and frijoles negros cooking you're invited!:banana: :cool1:

shovan
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
We by huge packs of boneless chicken breast to flatten, season, wrap and freeze them up so we always have a meal that can be ready in 7 minutes flat. If yu open my freezer right now there's the flattened chicken, some black beans and always pork chops. So easy to make ina rush.

Well if you're ever in the area and I've got some pechuga and frijoles negros cooking you're invited!:banana: :cool1:

Jennifer, One day I might just have to take you up on that offer!! :cool1: I know no matter how hard I try, I'll never duplicate the real thing! Too bad I've only booked a studio this trip! If I had a real kitchen, I could have put you to work teaching me how to cook the authentic Cuban Dishes & I could have fed you some "real" Cajun/Creole Food!

We could have had our own Cuban/Cajun Food Fest! :goodvibes:banana:

girli565
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Jennifer, One day I might just have to take you up on that offer!! :cool1: I know no matter how hard I try, I'll never duplicate the real thing! Too bad I've only booked a studio this trip! If I had a real kitchen, I could have put you to work teaching me how to cook the authentic Cuban Dishes & I could have fed you some "real" Cajun/Creole Food!

Hahaha, I love it! :rotfl: Funny thing is, I would totally do it, lol!

dizneykid
08-30-2007, 02:18 PM

That looks gorgeous!! It looks like the finished shot of a Food Network TV show :thumbsup2

dizneykid
08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

OK, now this sounds good.

You guys bring the food and I will bring the desserts!! :cake: That's my forte!!

eeyore45
08-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Yearbook - I understand about the Tshirts, I know I'll find the one I'm thinking of, you can make it the size of a pocket area - it was really cute - in the meantime I have to share the ones I did find (but I love yours!! Dont misunderstand, I'm just searching now and again!!)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/DisneyShirtGallery/disney%20events%20and%20tours/winefestival-JNMom.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/DisneyShirtGallery/disney%20events%20and%20tours/foodandwine-glassinball-JNMom.jpg

I may have it saved on my other hard drive that I cant get to!!

yearbook50
08-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Yearbook - I understand about the Tshirts, I know I'll find the one I'm thinking of, you can make it the size of a pocket area - it was really cute - in the meantime I have to share the ones I did find (but I love yours!! Dont misunderstand, I'm just searching now and again!!)

I may have it saved on my other hard drive that I cant get to!!

Haha...I can't read sometimes. Especially at night when I'm tired. I reread this morning and I was like...oh...I'm an idiot...

I'm actually going to make a tote instead I think. I was planning on getting a tote for this trip anyway - so instead of buying one, I'll just make my own (well sew onto a black tote with some other decorations) with the fabric sew paper stuff. I'll just need to go to visit my fiance's mom to use her sewing machine. (Sewing is the one girly craft thing I stink at so I refuse to do it by hand - my fiance does all the sewing we need for alterations and such)

MAGICinMYHEART
08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
OK, now this sounds good.
You guys bring the food and I will bring the desserts!! :cake: That's my forte!!

OH Sheryl,Jennifer & Jeanne... :wave:

I have a One-Bedroom booked from October 21-24 over at the BoardWalk Villas with a full kitchen.

Beckie

oybolshoi
09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Woo hoo! Three day weekend and in exactly seven weeks it will be time for our Party for the Senseless!!! :yay:

Can't wait to meet everyone there! :goodvibes

Krissalee
09-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Just 50 days until we meet for our event! How will we all find each other and claim our tables? I know, I am a worrier, and this is way far in advance, but this is what I am thinking about.:confused3

yearbook50
09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Just 50 days until we meet for our event! How will we all find each other and claim our tables? I know, I am a worrier, and this is way far in advance, but this is what I am thinking about.:confused3

I'll be the girl with the Rat Purse.

I'm thinking of making my own green mickey charm for my wine glass. I'm going to AC Moore tomorrow and am going to see what I can do.

Krissalee
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Yesterday, DH and I got a little practice in to prepare for the F&W Fest. We Went to Jazz It Up - The Garden State Wine Growers wine event at our local state park, Allaire. http://www.newjerseywines.com/jazz-it-up.html It is the 3rd annual event, but the first in our area. Previously, the event was held in North Jersey. We are in Central Jersey, near the shore.

It was a lot of fun. For $20, you got a commemorative glass, and unlimited tastings at more than 20 New Jersey winery booths. I knew of 2 wineries in NJ, but who would have ever thought that NJ had that many wineries? It was fun, low key, and to be honest, most of the wines were not great, but passable. A fun afternoon close to home.

I really reminded me of carrying my glass around at PFTS!

shovan
09-04-2007, 12:30 AM
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

I have a One-Bedroom booked from October 21-24 over at the BoardWalk Villas with a full kitchen.

Beckie

You know we just might take you up on that offer! That sounds like a great party!!

Woo hoo! Three day weekend and in exactly seven weeks it will be time for our Party for the Senseless!!! :yay:

Can't wait to meet everyone there! :goodvibes

Oooh Boy this is going to be so much fun! Party for the Senseless!!! :lmao: Brenda, you are always such a hoot!!!

Now you are just sounding too much like me!!!! ;) :confused3 I think everyone who can line up early will & we will run to grab the several of the best tables in the best spots! That is the best method I can think of! We found last year that the tables past the Cirque Stage to the Left were very good!
Maybe we need some sort of sign we can hold up to meet outside the gate?

I'll be the girl with the Rat Purse.

I'm thinking of making my own green mickey charm for my wine glass. I'm going to AC Moore tomorrow and am going to see what I can do.

A Rat Purse??? Ratatouille I'm hoping!!! :laughing: :laughing:
How are you going to make the charm? Laminate the paint chip & add a twist tie of some sort? Sounds like a great idea!:thumbsup2

yearbook50
09-04-2007, 05:46 AM
A Rat Purse??? Ratatouille I'm hoping!!! :laughing: :laughing:
How are you going to make the charm? Laminate the paint chip & add a twist tie of some sort? Sounds like a great idea!:thumbsup2

Ratatouille

I'm actually going to make the charm out of beads and wire. It will be small and not overly noticable.

girli565
09-04-2007, 07:26 AM
[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

Beckie

Lol, I'll be leaving early on the 21st so I can rest for work the next day, because I have afeeling that I'm going to be a bit hungover the next day, haha!!:guilty: :sad1: But I'd totatlly take you all up on that offer!

shovan
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Lol, I'll be leaving early on the 21st so I can rest for work the next day, because I have afeeling that I'm going to be a bit hungover the next day, haha!!:guilty: :sad1: But I'd totatlly take you all up on that offer!

Yes, you will need time to recuperate from the party! Good thing you don't have to go to work the day after! Ugh, that would be hard!

girli565
09-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Yes, you will need time to recuperate from the party! Good thing you don't have to go to work the day after! Ugh, that would be hard!
definitely. Wine hits me so hard, I don't know why when I can drink most men I know under the table when it comes to shots, but wine, forget it! I'm down for the count after 2 glasses, lol

yearbook50
09-04-2007, 10:32 PM
definitely. Wine hits me so hard, I don't know why when I can drink most men I know under the table when it comes to shots, but wine, forget it! I'm down for the count after 2 glasses, lol

Haha.. I can do that too...and I'm the only one of my friends that can handle drinking more than one glass of wine.

Such as tonight, we went out for my friend's 21st birthday - I went one for one with her (except one cement mixer since well I refuse to do those) since no one else would...by the end, she couldn't stand and I'm acting like normal.

girli565
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Haha.. I can do that too...and I'm the only one of my friends that can handle drinking more than one glass of wine.

Such as tonight, we went out for my friend's 21st birthday - I went one for one with her (except one cement mixer since well I refuse to do those) since no one else would...by the end, she couldn't stand and I'm acting like normal.
Well, since I couldn't get on to the DIS until now... lol

I can drink my stepdad under the table, especially with tequila but one glass of wine and I'm already having hot flashes and needing to sit down, lol.

girli565
09-08-2007, 08:08 PM
A lot OT but I knew you guys would love to hear this because it's such wonderful news...

My mom's disability was finally approved after almost 6 years of fighting to get it approved! She had a court date in July and we got the desicion and award letter this week! She's so excited, now this makes the F&W Fest trip even sweeter for her!

yearbook50
09-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Jennifer - Thats great!! I'm happy for your mother :D :cool1: :cool1:

girli565
09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Melissa, Thank you!!

Mom's so happy that we actually added a day of Epcot so we can really enjoy the booths!

shovan
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
A lot OT but I knew you guys would love to hear this because it's such wonderful news...

My mom's disability was finally approved after almost 6 years of fighting to get it approved! She had a court date in July and we got the desicion and award letter this week! She's so excited, now this makes the F&W Fest trip even sweeter for her!

Jennifer, that is great news! Glad for your Mom! :goodvibes

And I'll remember not try to go toe to toe with you on tequila! :laughing:

girli565
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Sheryl, thank you so much!! She's so happy to stop paying her ridiculous insurance premium every month. But now it's the figuring out of Rx plans. yay for us!!

Mmmm tequila.... it's my weakness!

shovan
09-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Sheryl, thank you so much!! She's so happy to stop paying her ridiculous insurance premium every month. But now it's the figuring out of Rx plans. yay for us!!

Mmmm tequila.... it's my weakness!

Jennifer, You may need lots of tequila after trying to figure out the medical plans!

I do like good tequila myself! I just don't handle it as well as I do wine. Anytime anyone we know is heading to Mexico, we give them money to pick us up a good bottle of Mexican Anejo or Reposado, I love that stuff! A work aquaintance of my DH from Mexico, has also unfortunately gotten us hooked on a Mexican drink called a Cocktail Vampiro. It's made with this bottled mix called Sangrita that has chiles & citrus in it, then add grapefruit juice & good tequila. The only drink I can compare it to would be a very spicy Bloody Mary but that's not even close. I can't find the Sangrita mix around here & have been ordering it online for a couple of years now.

yearbook50
09-12-2007, 06:22 AM
I do like good tequila myself! I just don't handle it as well as I do wine. Anytime anyone we know is heading to Mexico, we give them money to pick us up a good bottle of Mexican Anejo or Reposado, I love that stuff! A work aquaintance of my DH from Mexico, has also unfortunately gotten us hooked on a Mexican drink called a Cocktail Vampiro. It's made with this bottled mix called Sangrita that has chiles & citrus in it, then add grapefruit juice & good tequila. The only drink I can compare it to would be a very spicy Bloody Mary but that's not even close. I can't find the Sangrita mix around here & have been ordering it online for a couple of years now.

That sounds really good.

I do enjoy tequila myself too. Can't wait until I get my fiesta margarita on the 12th - thats when vacation really starts.

Anyone try those year of a million dreams martinis!
Not a true martini at all but still really tasty.

girli565
09-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Jennifer, You may need lots of tequila after trying to figure out the medical plans!

Yeah, those partd D things are really confusing! I'm hitting up the budget and disabilities boards for advice.

Mmmm, that drink sounds too good and I'm not into bloody mary's but tequila makes everything better!

That sounds really good.

I do enjoy tequila myself too. Can't wait until I get my fiesta margarita on the 12th - thats when vacation really starts.

Anyone try those year of a million dreams martinis!
Not a true martini at all but still really tasty.

MMMMMMMM Fiesta Margarita!!! I told my mom about those last year and she said "that's the first booth we're hitting up!!" She loves a good margarita. And those are surprisingly strong so they hit the spot. now if I can just remember what flavors were in the fiesta I'd be set!:drinking1

yearbook50
09-12-2007, 07:42 AM
MMMMMMMM Fiesta Margarita!!! I told my mom about those last year and she said "that's the first booth we're hitting up!!" She loves a good margarita. And those are surprisingly strong so they hit the spot. now if I can just remember what flavors were in the fiesta I'd be set!:drinking1

I think there's strawberry, lime, kiwi, and mango.

girli565
09-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Mmmmm yummy. I love lime and mango.

shovan
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM
What's in the year of a million dreams martini? And where can I get one?!!! ;)

I've never tried the fiesta margarita, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to margaritas, but maybe I'll have to give it a try this year! Fit it in there somewhere with all of the wine, beer & other tasty drinks!! :laughing:

yearbook50
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
What's in the year of a million dreams martini? And where can I get one?!!! ;)

I've never tried the fiesta margarita, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to margaritas, but maybe I'll have to give it a try this year! Fit it in there somewhere with all of the wine, beer & other tasty drinks!! :laughing:

They serve it at most of the restaurants. Its blue and yummy and it has a glow cube!

From allears:
Blue "Glow-Tini" inspired by the Year of a Million Dreams - Skyy citrus vodka, peach schnapps, blue curacao, sweet-and-sour, and pineapple juice with a sugared rim

shovan
09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
They serve it at most of the restaurants. Its blue and yummy and it has a glow cube!

From allears:
Blue "Glow-Tini" inspired by the Year of a Million Dreams - Skyy citrus vodka, peach schnapps, blue curacao, sweet-and-sour, and pineapple juice with a sugared rim

That does sound delish!!! Thanks! :goodvibes

yearbook50
09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Finally got around to posting pictures of the wine charms:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1586/img0078ev8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TDC Nala
09-15-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm booking the 20th but I am going with local friends and possibly my parents and won't be able to sit at a DIS table. But I'll see if I can spot one.

zweihund
09-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Cute!

shovan
09-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Very nice! :thumbsup2 What did you use for the Mickey head? It almost looks like marble!(or could that just be the light reflection?)

My DH had a friend make him a special wine holder for his wheelchair!!! He's now ready to go for lots of tasting at the PFTS!!! :laughing:

yearbook50
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup2 What did you use for the Mickey head? It almost looks like marble!(or could that just be the light reflection?)

My DH had a friend make him a special wine holder for his wheelchair!!! He's now ready to go for lots of tasting at the PFTS!!! :laughing:

Its actually a glass beads that I found at AC Moore while I was shopping there last week. I was originally going to make my mickey head out of firm wire for the charms but when I saw those beads I decided to go for that instead since it looked enough like a mickey head and was lime green.

shovan
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Its actually a glass beads that I found at AC Moore while I was shopping there last week. I was originally going to make my mickey head out of firm wire for the charms but when I saw those beads I decided to go for that instead since it looked enough like a mickey head and was lime green.

I went look at our local craft stores for something like that, but I didn't find anything. Maybe I'll try to do something with the LGM paint chip from HD.:confused3

dizneykid
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey Gang!!

Only 7 more days until the Food & Wine Festival begins.

And

Only 8 more days until Marcel and I go to check it out for the afternoon and to get the festival guide booklets!!!

Can't wait to see what seminars they have in store for this year.

Can you tell I'm just too excited!! :yay:

shovan
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey Gang!!

And

Only 8 more days until Marcel and I go to check it out for the afternoon and to get the festival guide booklets!!!

:cool1: :yay: And we can't wait to hear all about it!!! :goodvibes

yearbook50
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
I went look at our local craft stores for something like that, but I didn't find anything. Maybe I'll try to do something with the LGM paint chip from HD.:confused3

I have 4 extra blue 'mickey' beads I could send you.

or

I have some extra of the wine charms you are free to have when we get there :cool2:

I may have time to go back out to the store and get more wire to make some more.

yearbook50
09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Gang!!

And

I'm so excited too :D :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :dance3:

dizneykid
09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
The other day, I was going through a drawer and I found some wine charms we bought at EPCOT back in 2003 at the F&W Festival. They are mickey heads and engraved on the back say EPCOT 2003!!

I forgot I even had these.

Melissa, they look similar to what you are making.

oybolshoi
09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Just wanted to pop in say "Greetings!" to my favorite group of PFTSers! :goodvibes

I can't believe the festival opens next week - woo hoo!!! I can't wait to hear what you think about it, Jeanne. Thanks again for offering to send the programs - I'm looking forward to planning things out even more once I see it!

Have a great weekend everyone!

zweihund
09-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Just wanted to pop in say "Greetings!" to my favorite group of PFTSers! :goodvibes

I can't believe the festival opens next week - woo hoo!!! I can't wait to hear what you think about it, Jeanne. Thanks again for offering to send the programs - I'm looking forward to planning things out even more once I see it!

Have a great weekend everyone!

I know!
We're heading out September 29th to do the preliminary check-out. This will be the first year that we manage to go more than once! Looks like we have at least 3 visits planned, which means I can sample EVERYTHING.
Well, everything vegetarian, anyhow.

Happy Friday, and to those of you on the same pay schedule as us, happy PAYDAY FRIDAY! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Krissalee
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Happy Friday, and to those of you on the same pay schedule as us, happy PAYDAY FRIDAY! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I must be on the same pay schedule! Hopefully I can use a little of it to have fun this weekend, before it all goes out again.:rolleyes:

shovan
10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Is everyone getting excited?!!!!!!! I know I am! :banana: :cool1:

Did y'all read that the tasting seminars are in the old Wonders of Life Pavillion this year? Sounds out of the way, but the lines are inside instead of waiting in the heat. So that will be good, hopefully make it worthwhile hoofing it from the WS to FW.

yearbook50
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
:cool1: I'll let you all know in 10 days since thats when I arrive. :cool1:

girli565
10-02-2007, 10:39 AM
:cool1: I'll let you all know in 10 days since thats when I arrive. :cool1:
10 days, i'm jealous!! Have a great time!!

Krissalee
10-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Did y'all read that the tasting seminars are in the old Wonders of Life Pavillion this year? Sounds out of the way, but the lines are inside instead of waiting in the heat. So that will be good, hopefully make it worthwhile hoofing it from the WS to FW.

I was surprised about the festival headquarters being all the way over at the Wonders of Life Pavillion. I can't wait to see how they utilize the space. Waiting in the AC is going to be heaven.:cloud9:

shovan
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Have y'all seen the booth pics & menus on the main board?!!!!!

And here's a thread with some food pics!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1599126

I can't wait to hear from Jeanne/disneykid, they should have gone this past weekend!!!

girli565
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Oooh, I'm so excited!! Only 16 days left... I think... This from a teacher, who can't count properly, lol, that's why I teach social studies!!

The pics of the food look wonderful! One question though... didn't the quesadilla in Mexico have chorizo & chicken in it the last few years?

oybolshoi
10-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Oooh, I'm so excited!! Only 16 days left... I think... This from a teacher, who can't count properly, lol, that's why I teach social studies!!

We're excited too! We leave in 12 days! :banana:

And I totally understand the counting thing. What makes it worse in my case is that I work in finance / lending. :lmao:

The pics of the food look wonderful! One question though... didn't the quesadilla in Mexico have chorizo & chicken in it the last few years?

Yes, you are correct. The last couple of years actually, it was a chicken and chorizo quesadilla - one of our favorite snackies (along with some Dos Equus or a Fiesta Margarita). I hope they haven't changed it.

girli565
10-03-2007, 11:43 AM
We're excited too! We leave in 12 days! :banana:

And I totally understand the counting thing. What makes it worse in my case is that I work in finance / lending. :lmao:
Ha, so now I don't feel so bad. Math was never my strong suit! Funny thing is I started out teaching social studies and now since I teach emotionally handicapped students I teach all subjects but really dislike the math and science aspect of it. Oh well, I am certified in all subjects now so that's a plus!!:thumbsup2

Yes, you are correct. The last couple of years actually, it was a chicken and chorizo quesadilla - one of our favorite snackies (along with some Dos Equus or a Fiesta Margarita). I hope they haven't changed it.
I've been noticing that it says only chorizo in the quesadilla, which would be so disappointing. I have this unhealthy love for all foods mexican or Tex Mex so this is always my fave booth that we hit up like 3 to 5 times in a visit! I am buying the festival cookbook just for the chilaquile recipe, those things are sooooooo yummy:love: ... and it doesn't hurt that all the other wonderful food recipes will be in it too!:banana:

cguill
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi There --- we are new to the forum and our family will be at Disney October17th - 23rd. My wife and I have three children, we will be staying at POP Century and would be very interested in meeting up with you all. Where are you all going to be on the 20th and what time ??? Thanks

Chuck & Michele Guill

oybolshoi
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi There --- we are new to the forum and our family will be at Disney October17th - 23rd. My wife and I have three children, we will be staying at POP Century and would be very interested in meeting up with you all. Where are you all going to be on the 20th and what time ??? Thanks

Chuck & Michele Guill

Hello and welcome to the DIS! We are all attending Party for the Senses at 6:30PM on Saturday, October 20th. It's a separately ticketed event in Epcot as part of the Food & Wine Festival. There will be a group of us sharing a few tables that evening - please feel free to join us if you'll be there! :goodvibes

shovan
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I see Jeanne & Marcel did make it this past weekend!!!!! I received a little gift in the mail this evening!!!!! :banana: :cool1:

Jeanne, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THE FESTIVAL GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thanks:

Let the planning begin!

oybolshoi
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, I see Jeanne & Marcel did make it this past weekend!!!!! I received a little gift in the mail this evening!!!!! :banana: :cool1:

Jeanne, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THE FESTIVAL GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thanks:

Let the planning begin!

Hooray - I hope that means I can look forward to one soon, too! I can't wait to hold it in my greedy, graspity hands! :lmao:

MAGICinMYHEART
10-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Everyone be sure to check your mail...I also received a little gift in the mail yesterday. I'm going over all the events today. So much food so little time.
Thank You Jeanne & Marcel.

Beckie

shovan
10-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Hooray - I hope that means I can look forward to one soon, too! I can't wait to hold it in my greedy, graspity hands! :lmao:

:laughing:

Everyone be sure to check your mail...I also received a little gift in the mail yesterday. I'm going over all the events today. So much food so little time.
Thank You Jeanne & Marcel.

Beckie

Beckie, I've said the same thing on another thread! The only difference was " So much food AND DRINK and Soooo little time!!" :laughing:

With all the math checks going on here I had to count my days on the calendar! And it's not 16 like my ticker says but only 15!!!! Probably cus we kept adding days on the front & end of the trip!

girli565
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Well I'm just excited for a vacation!! I was just changed from teaching learning Disabled students to teaching Emotionally Handicapped students and I'm ready to cry at the end of everyday. They are so frustrating! And I know they are actually sick but it's just frustrating when a 14 year old child doesn't see why running around the cafeteria and throwing bananas is wrong! Especially frustrating when their parents don't understand the problem either!

Ok... vent over! So F&W Fest HERE I COME!!!!!!!! in 15 days, lol

yearbook50
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Well I'm just excited for a vacation!! I was just changed from teaching learning Disabled students to teaching Emotionally Handicapped students and I'm ready to cry at the end of everyday. They are so frustrating! And I know they are actually sick but it's just frustrating when a 14 year old child doesn't see why running around the cafeteria and throwing bananas is wrong! Especially frustrating when their parents don't understand the problem either!

It takes a big heart and patience to teach those types of students. Kudos for you for doing so! I hope it gets easier for you as it goes along. You'll need your drink when you get there!

girli565
10-04-2007, 11:51 AM
It takes a big heart and patience to teach those types of students. Kudos for you for doing so! I hope it gets easier for you as it goes along. You'll need your drink when you get there!
Definitely! A big drink!! I'm making a beeline straight for the fiesta margarita when we get there!

shovan
10-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Definitely! A big drink!! I'm making a beeline straight for the fiesta margarita when we get there!

Hold on, you'll soon be in World Showcase sippin on a tasty fiesta margarita!!!! I know for me, I walk into WS & the troubles of the whole world just disappear! Once I have my drink in hand that is!:goodvibes

It really does take a special person to handle a job like that! :thumbsup2 You continue to make your Mama proud!

I'm pretty sure that in our school system, that emotionally handicapped children are just lumped in with the special ed students.

girli565
10-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Hold on, you'll soon be in World Showcase sippin on a tasty fiesta margarita!!!! I know for me, I walk into WS & the troubles of the whole world just disappear! Once I have my drink in hand that is!:goodvibes

It really does take a special person to handle a job like that! :thumbsup2 You continue to make your Mama proud!

I'm pretty sure that in our school system, that emotionally handicapped children are just lumped in with the special ed students.
Well, I did take this job knowing it would be frustrating but I guess my EH experience at my previous school which was in an upper middle class school region was sugar-coated EH, I'm in a mostly migrant population and if anyone's familiar with Miami I'm in the Homestead/Florida City area which is low levels and low preformance. I hate the labels but the deeper I get into Special Ed the more I realize how socio-economic issues affect preformance levels.

Fiesta margarita, citron slush in France and then a wine flight and I think I'll be good to go!! lol

Thank you for the kind words! They really help!

dizneykid
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey all,

Sorry I didn't post right after coming back, but I have just been so busy.

It's 15 days for us too!! Can't wait. Going this past Saturday was a real tease :rotfl: But worth it. We first stopped at the Magic Kingdom to ride the Haunted Mansion (2x). It was fantastic!!

After that, we went over to Epcot, got there around 11:30am. We strolled around the WS and had a few tastes. We tried the Munfungo, buffalo, escargot and the glazed chicken leg. Very yummy. The buffalo was out of this world. It was like butter. We also tried the pomegranate and kir in France, It was $6.00 but so well worth it. I can't wait to have more. We thought the food was much better and fresher tasting than last year. Also, we thought that the way they set up the booths this year is much nicer to navigate. They are switched around a little.

We did one paid event, The Cheese Tasting. They had French wines and cheeses from the Artisinal Cheese Company. We both thought this was fantastic. They gave you two wines, one white and one red. And four different types of cheeses. The seminar was wonderful and very informative. I never knew there was a "proper" way to taste cheese ;) Also, what we thought was so interesting was that you tasted each of these cheeses with both of the wines. Sometimes, the tastes were completely different. Well worth the price, highly recommended.

The Festival Welcome center is now in the Wonders of Life Pavillion as all of you have heard. We think this was the best thing Disney has done for the F&W. The wine seminars are in there and it will be a pleasure to stand in line this year as opposed to last year standing in the direct sunlight for over an hour. The Pavillion is so spacious and everything is not on top of one another.

One thing that we saw was that there is a meet the winemakers table. When you first enter the pavillion you will see it. They have two different winemakers there several times a day. You can purchase a glass of wine and talk with them. I know they had this last year, but we never found it.

The Wonderbar is nice and spacious also. Many, many by the glass wines, champagnes and port!!! I'm a port girl :love:

Anyway, if you all have any questions, just ask. The booklets went out first thing on Monday, so they should arrive soon.

Can't wait!!!!!!! :yay:

oybolshoi
10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the update, Jeanne! It sounds like you had a great "trial run" this weekend.

The wonderbar sounds like a great addition ... and they have port???

Excellent! :thumbsup2

One of our favorite things to do is to pour Don PX over ice cream - you should try it sometime if you like port. Our bottle is a 25-year port - looks like motor oil and smells like coffee... and it tastes incredible, but very sweet.

Yummy!!! :goodvibes

dizneykid
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the update, Jeanne! It sounds like you had a great "trial run" this weekend.

The wonderbar sounds like a great addition ... and they have port???

Excellent! :thumbsup2

One of our favorite things to do is to pour Don PX over ice cream - you should try it sometime if you like port. Our bottle is a 25-year port - looks like motor oil and smells like coffee... and it tastes incredible, but very sweet.

Yummy!!! :goodvibes

Now that sounds yummy!! Marcel and I have been trying different ports and ice wines lately. So many wonderful tastes!! One nice discovery of late is a zinfandel ice wine. It's from Renwood Winery.

shovan
10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Well, I did take this job knowing it would be frustrating but I guess my EH experience at my previous school which was in an upper middle class school region was sugar-coated EH, I'm in a mostly migrant population and if anyone's familiar with Miami I'm in the Homestead/Florida City area which is low levels and low preformance. I hate the labels but the deeper I get into Special Ed the more I realize how socio-economic issues affect preformance levels.

Fiesta margarita, citron slush in France and then a wine flight and I think I'll be good to go!! lol
Thank you for the kind words! They really help!

:lmao: You'll be good, but I don't know how much going you'll be doing! :laughing:

That section of Miami sounds very much like inner city New Orleans. As everyone now knows since Katrina, we have quite a problem here with the sheer volume of people that are in the lower socio-economic class. Unfortunately it's been going on here for decades with poor uneducated children having children. IMO Schools just can't fix that!

Hey all,

Sorry I didn't post right after coming back, but I have just been so busy.

It's 15 days for us too!! Can't wait. Going this past Saturday was a real tease :rotfl: But worth it. We first stopped at the Magic Kingdom to ride the Haunted Mansion (2x). It was fantastic!!

After that, we went over to Epcot, got there around 11:30am. We strolled around the WS and had a few tastes. We tried the Munfungo, buffalo, escargot and the glazed chicken leg. Very yummy. The buffalo was out of this world. It was like butter. We also tried the pomegranate and kir in France, It was $6.00 but so well worth it. I can't wait to have more. We thought the food was much better and fresher tasting than last year. Also, we thought that the way they set up the booths this year is much nicer to navigate. They are switched around a little.

We did one paid event, The Cheese Tasting. They had French wines and cheeses from the Artisinal Cheese Company. We both thought this was fantastic. They gave you two wines, one white and one red. And four different types of cheeses. The seminar was wonderful and very informative. I never knew there was a "proper" way to taste cheese ;) Also, what we thought was so interesting was that you tasted each of these cheeses with both of the wines. Sometimes, the tastes were completely different. Well worth the price, highly recommended.

The Festival Welcome center is now in the Wonders of Life Pavillion as all of you have heard. We think this was the best thing Disney has done for the F&W. The wine seminars are in there and it will be a pleasure to stand in line this year as opposed to last year standing in the direct sunlight for over an hour. The Pavillion is so spacious and everything is not on top of one another.

One thing that we saw was that there is a meet the winemakers table. When you first enter the pavillion you will see it. They have two different winemakers there several times a day. You can purchase a glass of wine and talk with them. I know they had this last year, but we never found it.

The Wonderbar is nice and spacious also. Many, many by the glass wines, champagnes and port!!! I'm a port girl :love:

Anyway, if you all have any questions, just ask. The booklets went out first thing on Monday, so they should arrive soon.

Can't wait!!!!!!! :yay:

Jeanne, Thanks again so much for the guide!!! You must explain the proper way to taste cheese! We all want to look like we know what we're doing! I wish we could do one of those cheese tastings but we'll only be there one Saturday. I'm glad to hear the booth layout works well. I was sort of freaking out over some of the changes. The Champagne booth not being near the American Pavillion is going to change my concert drink & snacks. ;)

Also glad to hear that the Festival Center works well. Did you do any seminars?

I've never had a port! :confused3 Any tips on what to try?

dizneykid
10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
OK, you asked for it :snooty: so here goes:

We were taught this:

First you pick the cheese up and feel it between your fingers.
Then you smell it.
Then you take a taste of the cheese from the middle.
Then you take a taste of just the rind of the cheese.
Lastly, you taste both cheese and rind.

Honestly, though, I never knew that tasting could be so interesting.

shovan
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
OK, you asked for it :snooty: so here goes:

We were taught this:

Then you smell it.
Then you take a taste of the cheese from the middle.
Then you take a taste of just the rind of the cheese.
Lastly, you taste both cheese and rind.

Honestly, though, I never knew that tasting could be so interesting.

:confused3 Gosh who knew?!!! See we'd would have all looked like uneducated cheese bafoons!!! :laughing:

yearbook50
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Woohoo I got my guide today! Thanks Jeanne!

Wow a lot goes into Cheese Tasting...I guess I always looked silly just eating it from the edge out.

oybolshoi
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Cheese ... I must really look bad because I won't eat the rind (tastes too musty to me). :rotfl2:

Hey Shovan, as far as port goes Jay and I prefer a tawny port, something around 10-20 years. They usually have a lovely caramel color in the glass and are sweet but not overpoweringly so. Port tastes great with cheese!! :thumbsup2

For a fairly reasonable bottle try Cockburn's 10 Year Tawny Porto (we were served this at V&A last fall) - it's very good and very smooth.

shovan
10-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Cheese ... I must really look bad because I won't eat the rind (tastes too musty to me). :rotfl2:

Hey Shovan, as far as port goes Jay and I prefer a tawny port, something around 10-20 years. They usually have a lovely caramel color in the glass and are sweet but not overpoweringly so. Port tastes great with cheese!! :thumbsup2

For a fairly reasonable bottle try Cockburn's 10 Year Tawny Porto (we were served this at V&A last fall) - it's very good and very smooth.

Thanks Brenda, I think I'll try some when we get to the F&W fest to figure out what we like. So is Port similar to a good brandy?

oybolshoi
10-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Brenda, I think I'll try some when we get to the F&W fest to figure out what we like. So is Port similar to a good brandy?

Nope - no real similarities in taste, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Port, whether you go with a ruby or a tawny, is sweet. I don't like the ruby because to me they are too sweet. The tawnys are usually aged in oak barrels so I tend to think they have a more mellow, subtle sweetness. But it really depends on the port and your own preferences.

Brandy tends to have a bite, at least that's how it seems to me, and it usually isn't very sweet. For a good time with brandy, try making cafe mocha at home and then add a splash of napoleon brandy, a couple of sugar cubes, and a healthy spray of whipped cream. Tasty! :thumbsup2

dizneykid
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Actually, at the Australian food booth they have Benjamin Tawny Port. This may be a good one to start with :)

One other that I have found is the R.L. Buller Victoria Tawny from Australia. Brenda, I think you would like this one. I like the less sweet ports also.

My favorite, though, is the Graham's 20 Year Old Tawny. Very good. They actually serve this at the Territory Lounge in the Wilderness Lodge.

Can't wait to meet you all!!!!

TDC Nala
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM

:crazy2:

I'm about to leave on my second f&w weekend.

Highland Distillers have their own seminar on the 20th. I couldn't get into the pairing but I can do that for free.

yearbook50
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
:crazy2:

I'm about to leave on my second f&w weekend.

Highland Distillers have their own seminar on the 20th. I couldn't get into the pairing but I can do that for free.

I'm so jealous you are able to go to so many F&W Weekends!

Enjoy your second F&W Trip!

oybolshoi
10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks Jeanne - our festival guide showed up today and we were so excited to look through it and agonize over which free seminars we want to try to attend. :banana: :banana:

Can't wait to thank you in person. :goodvibes

oybolshoi
10-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Random F&W post before I leave for work ...

I was ever so pleased to see that China is offering the Green Tea Plum Wine Cooler again this year - that's a tasty and refreshing beverage.

And I was curious to know what the heck Conga juice is and whether or not anyone can tell me what it's like? :confused3

Thanks - have a great Friday. I've got a 3-day weekend (I love Federal holidays!) so I should be able to get a ton of stuff organized for the trip - we leave in 10 days! :banana: :banana: :banana:

yearbook50
10-05-2007, 07:09 AM
And I was curious to know what the heck Conga juice is and whether or not anyone can tell me what it's like? :confused3

Thanks - have a great Friday. I've got a 3-day weekend (I love Federal holidays!) so I should be able to get a ton of stuff organized for the trip - we leave in 10 days! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Conga Juice is just a mixture of fruit juices. No alcohol involved. I've tasted it before I became legal...its good just nothing really special.

Have fun organizing for your trip, no three day weekends here :(. I finish my organization last night as I was avoiding making my heating and cooling curves of my sheared chocolate.

This weekend for me will be spent finishing packing and visiting the future-in-laws since his mother is going to teach me how to sew. This time next week I'll be on a plane :banana:

shovan
10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks Brenda & Jeanne! I can't wait to get there & try some of those ports! I think it will be a tawny for me & DH might like something sweeter, but we'll both get to check out several at the Fest!!! :banana: Thanks for furthering my education! :goodvibes

TDC Nala, Have fun! You are making all of us so jealous!;)

We passed on the Conga Juice too, something with such a cool name should have spirits in it!

Have any of you done the Culinary demonstrations? Are they good? Last year, we'd do wine seminar after wine seminar then head back to the booths for food to try to maintain some semblance of sobriety! Should we make an effort to do some of those? Do you get food tastings?

oybolshoi
10-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry this is a wee bit off topic, but I was hoping someone might have some advice.

I have a DIS-friend from England who really likes Banfi's Rosa Regale - she's leaving on a Disney cruise on 10/20 and wants to pick some up ahead of time to take on the ship. If you think the alcohol mark-up at WDW is ridiculous, try checking out DCL's mark-up - it's insane.

Does anyone know where she can go off property in Orlando or on her way to the port to buy some Rosa Regale? It sells here in St. Louis for $20 per bottle so I'm assuming she can pick it up for about the same in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. :goodvibes

See ya in two weeks! :banana:

yearbook50
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Some of the bigger ABC liquors should have it...there is prolly one near the port since they are everywhere in Florida.

oybolshoi
10-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Some of the bigger ABC liquors should have it...there is prolly one near the port since they are everywhere in Florida.

Thanks Melissa!

BTW, I have to agree with Shovan ... if the Conga juice doesn't have an "additive" then I think we'll just have to keep walking until we get to the Margarita stand. ;)

dizneykid
10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I know the Publix by me carries it. If they do, they would probably be the least expensive. We actually got Banfi Rosa Regali for $10 on sale once.

Also, I know that the Goodings has it, but not sure of their prices.

Good luck!!

shovan
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Brenda, I know other cruise lines do not allow you to bring aboard liquor. Does the DCL allow it? Or can you get away with hiding in the luggage?

Sheryl

oybolshoi
10-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I know the Publix by me carries it. If they do, they would probably be the least expensive. We actually got Banfi Rosa Regali for $10 on sale once.

Also, I know that the Goodings has it, but not sure of their prices.

Good luck!!

Thanks Jeanne - I'll pass that on to her along with the suggestion for ABC.

$10 on sale ... I'm drooling just thinking about it. ;)

Brenda, I know other cruise lines do not allow you to bring aboard liquor. Does the DCL allow it? Or can you get away with hiding in the luggage?

Sheryl

Hey Sheryl! :goodvibes

Disney is really good about letting guests bring alcohol on board. You just bring it on board as part of your carry-on baggage - if you packed it into your luggage I think it would probably get broken considering the way the baggage handlers toss everything around. I've seen people bring an entire case of wine on a 7-night cruise.

The rub is that if you want to drink it with your dinner they will charge you a corkage fee of something like $15 per bottle (they gotta make money on the booze some way). But otherwise DCL is pretty flexible.

yearbook50
10-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Sheryl
Yes!
For my December Cruise, the girls and I are planning on saving money by bringing the hard stuff on board with us and prolly some wine too.

ollie
10-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Hello, would you mind if 2 Brits joined you?
We loved Party last year and met some great Folks whilst grazing.
This will be our eleventh visit to Orlando since 1996 and we bought DVC last year (imagine the money we could of saved if we had bought in '96?):confused3
We're staying RPR, OKW and BWV this visit.

yearbook50
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Hello, would you mind if 2 Brits joined you?
We loved Party last year and met some great Folks whilst grazing.
This will be our eleventh visit to Orlando since 1996 and we bought DVC last year (imagine the money we could of saved if we had bought in '96?):confused3
We're staying RPR, OKW and BWV this visit.

Welcome to our group!