PDA

View Full Version : Suit/ Tux Help

MistressOfAllEvil
07-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Okay, so I'm turning to all of the fabulous brides here on disboards because I've done some searching on my own and I'm at a loss.

My DF is very uninvolved in the planning and I'm okay with that. I'm pretty hands off myself and that part of the reason I'm having an Escape wedding. So anyhow, DF made only one request. He wants his groomsmen and himself to wear a zoot suit style tuxes. I told him sure, and that he needs to figure it out. Based on that, I bought a beautiful ivory gown in a mermaid style that looks very 1930's hollywood. On the side I've researched this whole zoot suit thing, and I've only seen one very generic looking zoot suit tux and it has chalk white stripes. I don't like it very much and I'm afraid that we won't look that good together. I've thought about him just buying a suit in the style that he wants, but I priced out and when it's all said and done with shoes and everything it's going to be close to $400. And then what do we do about the groomsment then?

I asked him last night to try to figure it out soon because I'm holding up my bridesmaids dresses which is holding up floral decisions because I'm trying to coordinate with this zoot suit theme. He asked me if I couldn't just take care of it! (pay no attention to the fact that I work full time and go to school full time, yes even in the summer.) I said sure because really this is the only thing he's asked for or wanted. He's agreed to my date, my location, my resturant choices, my everything. So, it seems a small thing to ask. I'm just having a terrible time locating any viable options.

Can anyone help? Any ideas????

TIA,

Wendy

frenort21
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Wendy my DF and I went through something similar but he wanted a manfdrian suit. Anyways I googled Zoot Suits for you and found this site maybe it will help. I hope you find what he is looking for.
http://italsuit.com/home.php?cat=325&gclid=CL2L0KPQz40CFR3NgAodDlvhRQ

TinkerFairy
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
We went through After Hours, and I was partial to the zoot suit thing as well, but ended up going with this style:
http://afterhours.com/styles_detail.asp?category=catalog&page=4&style=221&type=&brand=+&accesscolor=&Nav=

It doesn't look nearly as good on that model in the picture as it does in real life. My DF is 6'2 and it fits well with his height, if that makes sense.
It has a very classic feel to it.

I was a little put off by the striped pants, but as soon as he tried it on I loved it on him.

Not sure if it's anything you'd be interested in.
Good luck with your search though!

MistressOfAllEvil
07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the response ladies.

Frenort21 ~ That's the site I was looking at that has pretty much anything you can imagine and I think it's exactly what my DF wants. My concern is the cost. Because we would have to purchase the suit which comes with jacket, vest and pants and then we'd have to purchase everything else too... shirt, tie, shoes, etc... Compared with when you rent. On the one hand, I think that's fine for DF, but what about the groomsmen, how bad is it to ask them to spend that amount of money?????

TinkerFairy ~ I think this is what I'm going to have to do. Actually get my butt out to a couple of places and see in person what some close alternatives are! Thanks for the link and option.

I'm just so aggrevated because I want to give him the one thing he wants, but the one thing he wants is so far off the beaten path = $$$$. hmpf.

Anyhow, thanks again ladies!

Wendy

JonetteA
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Call Carolyn Allen's and see if the girls can maybe come up with some other ideas that will give the zoot look.