PDA

View Full Version : Summer dining review with plenty of pics

Steelersfan
07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Well for what itís worth, here is a review of our July 21-28, 2007 Disney dining experiences.

Our group was:

Me: Iím a big guy who really likes to eat but Iím not picky at all unless the food gets too fancy. Seafood is a big time ďno-no.Ē

My Wife: Has many of the same tastes as me. She has a mild allergy to shellfish so no seafood here either!

Our Daughter: Sydney is 3 ĺ and eats sporadically. Loves chicken nuggets, fries and PB&J.

My Parents: Both like most foods except seafood.

My Brother: He is also a big gut who likes to eat. He also travels quite a bit for work so he gets to sample some different foods which was useful in making this evaluation.

My Niece: Carlee is 10 but actually ate off of the childrenís menu because she was nine when we booked the trip. She has Celiacís disease which means she cannot eat foods with gluten. This was interesting to see how the chefs could accommodate her. It is worth noting that she would constantly get sick before her diagnosis so she still eats very little and gets nervous that sheíll get sick again when she eats.

We were on the dining plan and I have mixed feelings as to whether we will use it the next time.

The Positives:

1. Plenty of food! We honestly could have eaten until we exploded! You cannot possibly imagine just how much you are going to eat on this plan. Like I said, I like to eat and even I was shocked at the amount of food given in a day!
2. Guilt free character meals. It was nice to attend so many character meals and not have to pay at the end. I know we already paid in advance but it was a good value because we would have spent well over the money we paid per day.

The Negatives:

1. Time issues. We found that having a sit down meal every day really cut into our plans. Each meal took anywhere from 1 Ĺ to 2 hrs to complete if you start counting from the time you leave for the meal, sign in, get seated, eat, square up the tab, get transportation back to the park, etc. In addition, it seemed like just when we were on a roll, we had to stop and go eat. It is especially tough because it was soooooo crowded that we had to leave extra time to travel. Plus, when you have to book these meals 6 months in advance, you have no way of knowing exactly how your day is going to unfold.
2. Wasted food. I know I said that the plethora of food was a positive, but there was almost too much. For example, there is NO WAY we would have ever needed the desserts if we were paying out of pocket. When you add in the costs of the desserts it kind of makes the plan seem like a better bargain but it really isnít if you throw away the dessert of part of the meal because you are just too full from the sit down, or you donít eat your moneyís worth at the sit down meal because you ate your dessert earlier in the day. I cannot imagine a light eater getting any value out of this plan.

If we went back right now I would just pay for three or four character meals and eat counter service when we were hungry. I think it would have been cheaper. I would also make my reservations for the late breakfast or first lunch. I think this would fit our touring plan better since we like to get to the park early, leave in the afternoons for a nap and return (not necessarily to the same park) in the evenings. It wouldnít cut into our time as much.

Also, keep in mind that the kidís selections are very limited at the counter service restaurants and even the non-buffet choices. Keep this in mind also, your appetizers will come out well before the kidís meals so you will either have to share or request that they at least bring out one of the sides or you will have to deal with an angry child.

Now for the reviewsÖ Iíll be reviewing this in a realistic fashion. For example, if I ordered a counter service burger Iím not going to criticize it because it didnít taste like filet mignon. It is a counter service burger and should be judged as such.

Day 1:Cosmic Ray's

We arrived in the evening and it was pouring. We all were hungry and went to Cosmic Rayís in the MK because it had a big selection and was very helpful in the gluten free department. It was a little crowded due to the rain so we grabbed two tables in front of Sonny Eclipse and saved tables while we went up.

My parents both had the burgers. They said they were very good and my dad was especially impressed with the fixinís bar. It really was loaded with mushrooms, etc. It had plenty of choices. (sorryÖ no pics)

My brother and I had the chicken and ribs platter. We both agreed that the chicken and mashed potatoes were awesome. He does not like carrots but mine were very good. The ribs were not really all that good though. You had to rip them off the bone. The sauce was good and it was really no big deal because the rest of the meal was so filling. We had the chocolate cake for dessert which was good but VERY rich. It would have been great with a big glass of milk.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0688.jpg

My wife had the chicken strips. She usually gets these at restaurants because she likes them and they tend to be difficult to screw up. She said hers were very good.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0690-1.jpg

My daughter had the kidís chicken nuggets and they even gave her a chocolate cake for dessert. She ate most of it although she was very distracted by Sonny Eclipse and was just excited for the trip in general.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0689.jpg

They took care of my niece too. We will definitely eat here again. My dad was kind of mad he didnít see the chicken/rib combo but the fixinís bar made up for it. This restaurant has very good food and great variety. There is something for everyone. The only negative was that there were different food lines for various items. I guess this could be a problem for some but I would recommend grabbing a table then take turns going up for the food if it is busy.

More days to come soon!

Amyrlin
07-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Nice piccies :)

sandybobandy
07-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh boy. You are off to a marvelous start. Can't wait for more! :)

rlduvall
07-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Can't wait to hear more reviews. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup2

disneymom06
07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
DH loves the pictures!!!!

Mrs.Reese
07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Nice pics!

my2tinkerbells
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
great pics! Can't wait for more!:cool1:

Steelersfan
07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Day 2: (Norway Princess Breakfast & Whispering Canyon Cafť)

Breakfast: Norway Princess Breakfast. I have nothing but great things to say about this breakfast. They had a cold food bar with breads, cheese, fruit, etc. The choices were plentiful and very fresh.

The hot food was just wonderful. We had eggs that were cooked to perfection, sausage, bacon and a fantastic potato casserole. All was just perfect. Our server was attentive and we never needed anything.

The character interaction was very good also. We met Belle on the way in and the girls had a chance to talk to her very quickly and pose for pictures. Throughout the meal Mulan, Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White all stopped by our table and were very good with the girls. Unless your child really wants to see Cinderella, I would use this every time. It was great on the dinner plan but I would have gladly paid out of pocket also just for the experience. We all truly felt that there is nothing bad to say about this experience. I recommend it fully. A bonus was that on the way back to future world to use our Soariní fast passes we got called over on one of the bridges and were all given the magical fast pass for the day!

This is the plate of food the server brings out as many times as you want!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020266.jpg

Dinner: Whispering Canyon Cafť. Because we got in late the first day and had to leave early the last day, we had to schedule two sit downs in one day. I was still kind of full from breakfast even late in the day but we still went to one of our favorites.

We three guys had the all you can eat skillet. On the dining plan you didnít get an appetizer with this because the salad that came with it counted as the appetizer. This food was very good as always. The ribs, chicken, and pulled pork were all very tender. They even had shrimp which my dad ate some but the rest of us passed because it is the dreaded seafood. The only downside to this was that three of us ordered and they only had two pieces of chicken and ribs. As a result we had to wait for another plate which took a LONG time. I would make sure you ask for enough when ordering. What happened to us is they didnít ask what specific items we needed replaced but brought a whole skillet instead. This meant that all we really wanted was some ribs and chicken and everything else was wasted. We were so full we couldnít really eat dessert (or take pics for that matter). My mom just told them not to even bring hers out she was so full.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0767.jpg

My wife had the wings for an appetizer and trust me, they are a little spicy but AWESOME! They almost filled her up completely.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0763.jpg

She had the ribs for her entrťe and could hardly eat them. They had a reddish color which kind of turned her off but they were done and falling off the bone. I know this because I ate some of hers while waiting for more ribs to come out in our skillet.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0766.jpg

My mom had the prime rib and said it was very good but was stuffed. I canít remember what the girls had from the kidís menu but they did eat. My daughter was very mad because the salads and appetizers came out and she had nothing. We asked the server to bring out her watermelon side so sheíd have something.

Our server was OK. He tried to be funny but he reminded me of someone who has really funny friends and tries to keep up with the humor but canít. We have eaten here before and had some very entertaining servers but this guy fell a little short. The service was also VERY SLOW. We were in the place close to 1 Ĺ hours. It took a long time to get the drinks alone, then it seemed like it took forever between courses. I donít know if it was our server or the whole restaurant.

The outside entertainment like the pony races, ketchup bottles, giant glasses, birthday celebrations, etc was as good as ever. Like I said, the service was just very slow and our server just wasnít as entertaining as some others we have had in the past. The food was very good but spending that much time at dinner really cut into our plans that evening. Keep that in mind if you are going here. I suppose we could have been a little more aggressive in keeping things moving so maybe someone could try that.

More Later...

nikjd68
07-29-2007, 08:48 PM
The reddish color of the ribs is a chemical reaction that is caused by the smoke. That is how you know the ribs have been slowly smoked for hours from ones that have simply been grilled and slathered with sauce.

The more "red" the better.

Steelersfan
07-29-2007, 08:54 PM
True. They were definitely cooked to perfection. I think she was more stuffed from the breakfast, wings and milkshake than anything.

That's another thing. The milkshakes are good and it is tempting to get them because they are all you can drink (and who doesn't like that?), but they are VERY filling. I switched to coke after the 1st one and so did my dad.

I would get a pop or iced tea and get an ice cream product for dessert or as a snack so you have room to actually enjoy your food without feeling so bloated!

Schucraig
07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Great reviews and pictures! Can't wait for more!:banana:

atisikitabasket
07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Great review! Hope to see more!

DisFoodlover
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Great reviews & pics

KatGarcia
07-29-2007, 11:57 PM
awesome reviews!

AnninIowa
07-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Great start!! I totally agree with your views on the DDP, too. It's exactly how we feel: great to not have to physically fork over the cash every time, but it's way too much food and too time-consuming...for us, anyway.

averill94
07-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Awesome thanks for sharing!

We have PSB Norway planned- do you recall what time your ADR was?

PatsMom
07-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Wonderful reviews and pictures! Can't wait for more.

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Our ADR at the princess breakfast was 9:00 AM. We went on an Epcot early morning so we were able to grab fast passes for Soarin' on the way through. We got to the restaurant at about 8:40 or so and were seated within 5 minutes.

my3disneygirls
07-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Those ribs looked so good. I'm getting hungry now.

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Those ribs looked so good. I'm getting hungry now.

Trust me, they were!

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Day 3: (Play House Disney at Hollywood and Vine, Pop Century food court)

Breakfast: Hollywood and Vine. We had a reservation at 10:30 for one of the later breakfasts. We had to wait only 2 or 3 minutes but in that time my daughter saw JoJo through the window and she was beside herself in excitement. When we sat down we were surprised that the place was nearly empty. Just a note to folks planning their tripsÖ the breakfast places tended to empty out some at around 10:45 so if you can wait to eat I would book them for that time then eat dinner after 6:00 when everyone else already ate.

I know this place gets dissed on these boards all the time, but let me tell you we had a great time. First of all, after reading some reviews I expected to find a few choices at the buffet but that just wasnít the case! There was a very long buffet counter that was loaded with every breakfast item I have ever eaten. There were breads, danishes, croissants, fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits and gravy, grits, various potatoes, waffles, pancakes and a huge selection of cereals. Trust me, there was plenty from which to choose. The food quality was excellent too. It just didnít have the traditional buffet texture that food sometime gets under the warmer. For example, most buffets have scrambled eggs that have a rubbery feel due to sitting out. This wasnít the case here. They were cooked better than I could so it at home with the plate next to the frying pan. It was clean also. Very, very impressive food.

Here is my first plate of food. I had two more!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_0800.jpg

I have also heard people say that the characters do not interact well here but that just wasnít the case for us. JoJo, Goliath, June and Leo where there and must have came to our table 3 or 4 times. They really spent time with the kids too. They didnít rush by us at all. I guess if there was a negative (and this wasnít for us) it would be that they were at the table too much and the kids didnít eat. My daughter and niece ate plenty and so did we.

I guess we might have been there at a lucky time to get so much attention. I suppose if it was more crowded, one might feel pressure to run up to the buffet in between character visits but they usually have it so that there is spacing.

My daughter loved all our character meals, but REALLY loved this one. I could tell she enjoyed having all her Playhouse Disney pals practically to herself.

On a side note, our server here was excellent. We had refills immediately and she even danced with the kids, etc. Again, maybe we were fortunate because it was very empty but I can only review it on our experience which was an A+++++.

Dinner: Pop Century Food Court. I will need some forgiveness here because I took the camera back to the room and didnít get pics. We were in a hurry and just wanted to get a quick dinner before heading to AK so we ate here.

I had the meatball sub which was very big and pretty good. I didnít get any chips or fries with it for some reason which was kind of a rip off but it still filled me up pretty well.

My wife had the pizza and she said it was good. I canít remember what my daughter had but she was jumping around like a goofball and wouldnít have eaten it all if Emeril cooked it for her personally.

My parents went with the standard burger and said it was fine. No complaints. I canít remember what my brother had.

A couple of other thoughts from this meal. On the positive, they went out of the way here to meet my nieceís gluten allergy. The chef heated up a special pan of oil to cook her fries. I want to say they made her chicken strips in a rice batter too but I might be wrong. I know she had to wait a little but really enjoyed her meal. On the negative side, this place is a zoo! There are unattended kids running everywhere and a ton of teenagers without parents just cutting the drink lines, etc. Most of the people there didnít speak English and tried to use that as an excuse for cutting the lines and such. They pretended to be confused or just mocked you in their own language because they knew you couldnít understand. It is very loud and to be honest, stressful. You couldnít even set down your cup because there was always pop all over the place at the drink stations.

We stayed at All Star Movies twice before and never experienced this. I have vowed that the next time we go we will either stay at Port Orleans or I will use my school teacher discount and stay at the Swan/Dolphin. When staying at a resort like POP I expected it to be full of families like mine (we watch our kids), but it was instead a microcosm of irresponsible parenting!

I know this isnít really a dining thought per se, but this was so bad with obnoxious older kids that our daughter wasnít able to swim in the big pool because of the way these kids were acting. They even invaded the kiddie pool! This was easily the most disappointing aspect of our trip.

More later

pugluver31902
07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I love your review so far! My husband and I both have Celiac and will be eating at some of the same restraunts you guys went to in Sept. I would love to hear more about what your niece was able to eat, if you dont mind and have the time. Thanks so much! Great pics!!!

momtoccc
07-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the H&V breakfast review. We have the same ADR time - glad to hear the food is still fresh and that the character interaction will be so good!

Minniespal
07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Excellent reviews ~ Looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 02:10 PM
I love your review so far! My husband and I both have Celiac and will be eating at some of the same restraunts you guys went to in Sept. I would love to hear more about what your niece was able to eat, if you dont mind and have the time. Thanks so much! Great pics!!!

The sit down restaurants will have a chef come out and tell you what is safe and what isn't. For example they went through the buffet lines and pointed things out then were more than willing to bring out fresh items from the back that were not cross contaminated. The breakfasts had tons of things that were gluten free. They will even make you as many waffles as you want.

As for the counter service you just have to ask. The places that served pizza had gluten free pizza, etc.

There is a lady named Brenda bennett who you can call or email for info. She sent me pages and pages of info and will make sure you are in the computer. You can find her info on the DISabilities forum. It will be very helpful to you.

pugluver31902
07-30-2007, 02:47 PM
The sit down restaurants will have a chef come out and tell you what is safe and what isn't. For example they went through the buffet lines and pointed things out then were more than willing to bring out fresh items from the back that were not cross contaminated. The breakfasts had tons of things that were gluten free. They will even make you as many waffles as you want.

As for the counter service you just have to ask. The places that served pizza had gluten free pizza, etc.

There is a lady named Brenda bennett who you can call or email for info. She sent me pages and pages of info and will make sure you are in the computer. You can find her info on the DISabilities forum. It will be very helpful to you.

Thank you so much, I will definitly do that!

Busymom85
07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Great reviews and pictures. Thanks.

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Day 4: Pinnochio Village Haus and Biergarten

Lunch: Pinnochio Village Haus. After an early morning at MK we went in just as the restaurant opened. We were able to get tables overlooking ďItís a Small WorldĒ which was kind of cool.

I had the pepperoni pizza/salad combo with strawberry shortcake.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_1031.jpg

The pizza was good and the salad was fresh. The dessert was a little frozen but was still pretty good. My parents got pizza too and all said it was very good. The portion size was just right. We were full but not stuffed.

My wife had a really big salad that isnít listed on any of the menus on The DIS.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_1033.jpg

It had chicken, mozzarella balls and bread triangles. She really liked it. I had some that was left because she couldnít eat it all. It was tasty. She had chocolate cake for dessert.

I have no idea what the girls had but they seemed to eat. My brother had the Italian sub and said it was very good also.

This is one of our favorite places to eat and we go here every time. Keep in mind that it got very crowded in here by 11:30 or so. Iíd go early when it is dead or wait. Either way, I highly recommend it as a place to eat a relatively quick meal. It has some nice variety on the menu.

Dinner: Biergarten. We had 6:00 ADRís and arrived a little early but were seated right away. This restaurant is set up a little differently and was a nice change. The band was playing as we arrived so we were able to eat our meal then have the kids dance during the next show when we were finished. Just a note, the band doesnít play very long but is extremely entertaining. The kids and adults loved it. My daughter is still yelling out the chants they taught us!

My brother really wanted this restaurant so the rest of us were a little worried that there wouldnít be item we would like. We were wrong. They had different salads like pasta and potato. They also had regular salad. I didnít have any but my wife loved the herb dressing. There were all kinds of meats, potatoes, etc. My mom is not an adventurous eater at all but even she found things to eat. The kids even found food because they had some basics like hotdogs and mac & cheese.

My plate:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_1054.jpg

My dessert plate (I was getting full by this time)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/103_1055.jpg

The service and atmosphere here were very good. I have no complaints at all. The only negative was that my brother didnít like the red cabbage and he was really looking forward to it. I didnít like it either but I just chalked it up to the fact that I probably donít like red cabbage. I made up for it with the kraut though. This was also the only time I had anything alcoholic to drink the whole trip. My brother and I both had huge beers to help with the whole experience. Iíd recommend doing that if you happen to be a beer drinker at home.

I think we would go here again if we were on the dining plan because it was a good experience. If we had to pay out of pocket I would probably skip it in favor of the character meals. Having said all this, it is safe to say that I believe this restaurant has received some unfairly harsh criticism from people, especially if the service, atmosphere and food is as good as it was the day we went.

More still coming!

saffymom
07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the great reviews and pics! I'm looking foward to the rest.

SadieG
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Your reviews and pictures are great. I can't wait to read the rest!

fsmith2845
07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
reviews and pictures are great.. we're doing dinner at Akershus.. after seeing the breakfast.. wish we had set that up instead... darn it..

heading out in almost a week now.. we leave next tuesday evening to drive down....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

MickeyNicki
07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
EEEEK!!! You have naked apple strudel..where is that yummy vanilla sauce??

undertheseas
07-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Great reviews and pictures, thanks!! :thumbsup2

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Day 5: Tusker House and Sci-Fi Dine in

Lunch: Tusker House. After a very busy morning in AK, including the safaris, two rides on Everest, and once on Kali River Rapids, we were hungry so we headed over to Tusker House. We have visited WDW twice before when AK was open but never ate here. People had nice things to say and since it will be closing soon, we wanted to experience it once. We go there at around 11:30 and it was pretty crowded. I grabbed a table and my wife went up to get our food. My dad and brother got theirs while my mom helped my niece find a chef to see what she could have.

I went with the half chicken meal.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020392.jpg

It was very good. Like Cosmic Rayís, the chicken was very tender. The mashed potatoes and veggies were good too. This meal was a good value both on and off the dinner plan. Iím not really sure why they are getting rid of this place.

My wife had the chicken sandwich.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020393.jpg

She didnít really comment either way. It certainly looked and smelled good though.

My daughter had the chicken leg kidís meal with grapes, carrots and fries. She really ate this meal.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020391.jpg

My dad and brother had the half chicken and my mom had the chicken sandwich without the sauce. My mom commented that this was her least favorite meal but that was because it took a really long time to get my nieceís food ready here (just microwaved mac-n-cheese) so she ate very fast because we were basically done. Another neat thing here was that a custodian came up to my daughter and gave her two Tinkerbelle pinsÖ one for her and one to share. That was a nice little touch.

Dinner: Sci-Fi Dine In. I almost cancelled this reservation due to all the bad reviews but we stuck with it. Let me say that the atmosphere here is great. My niece thought it was the greatest thing. Our reservation was for 6:00. We were seated quickly but found the service to be VERY SLOW. Our server basically wasnít very good. He seemed confused and took what seemed like forever to bring our things.

For my appetizer I had the tomato BLT soup

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020426.jpg

This was actually very good. It was different because I never had lettuce in soup before but I liked it.

My wife had the artichoke dip.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020425.jpg

She said this was very good also. My parents had the onion rings but I didnít get a picture of those.

My dad and I had the BBQ chicken sandwich.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020428.jpg

The theory behind this was good but mine came out kind of cold. I should have complained but we were already there over an hour by this time and I didnít want to hold us up anymore. My dad didnít say anything so maybe his was OK.

My wife had the caesar salad

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020429.jpg

She said it was just Ok. I donít think she really liked the dressing.

My mom had the butcherís steak

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020430.jpg

She said it was good but didnít like the potatoes that came with it. She said they tasted funny.

Here is the gluten free kidís meal they made for my niece

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020431.jpg

She insisted I took a picture because I was taking pictures of everyone elseís food.

We all had the sundaeís for dessert. Again, that atmosphere here is great but I would have to say we are skipping it from now on because of the whole slow experience. I want to say it was the gluten free food that maybe caused the delay but when I get a cold sandwich that means it was sitting there for a long time and the server just didnít bring it. Here is a good example of a dining plan weakness. There is NO WAY that server deserved 18%...NO WAY. I may not have left a tip at all. That said, it wasnít a horrible experience, I just donít think it should take 1 Ĺ hrs to eat a bowl of soup, a sandwich and a sundae. At least the Whispering Canyon had pony races and such as an excuse. Here is was just plain slow.

To boot, they rang us up for almost $15.00 for two blinking ice cubes we wanted for the kids. The server made it sound like he would just make it happen without a charge. That ticked me off because he said we could have them with the ďpirate punch.Ē This was a choice in the dinner plan for them. Well, neither kid wanted this punch so instead of just bringing the pirate punch cup with something else he brought the cups, ice cubes and gave them their drinks separately then changed us for the ice cube and empty cup. We had a fast pass expiring because the meal took so long so I didnít have time to argue. I doubt he would have understood what I was saying anyway.

More later

renessa
07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Love, Love, Love the review and pics...keep 'em coming....:yay:

Steelersfan
07-30-2007, 07:45 PM
EEEEK!!! You have naked apple strudel..where is that yummy vanilla sauce??

I guess I'm either a simple guy or was suffering the effects of that monster beer and didn't see the sauce!

I'll go with the latter. maybe we'll have to go back next time just for the sauce!

SorcererDonald16
07-31-2007, 01:16 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think that maybe that BBQ chicken sandwich is one of their "problem foods." My mom and I had that last year, and both of us had issues with it. Hers was cold, but she still liked it (she likes cold chicken). Mine, on the other hand, was somewhat warm but was tough and chewy, and tasted like what I imagine a charcoal brick would taste like. :crazy2: We ended up at a McDonald's near Universal later that night and I got another chicken sandwich for under $5 that I much preferred to Sci-Fi's. Go figure! :lmao: Our waiter was slow as a snail also, but we also had to wait almost 40 minutes just to be seated (even though we had ADRs). Sci-Fi is not exactly on my "Must Do" list anymore, but I might try it again at some point. But I'll stay away from the chicken next time, I think. :rolleyes1

I've really enjoyed your pictures and reviews. Looking forward to reading more! :wizard:

TigerKat
07-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Subbing....popcorn::

Steelersfan
07-31-2007, 07:36 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think that maybe that BBQ chicken sandwich is one of their "problem foods." My mom and I had that last year, and both of us had issues with it. Hers was cold, but she still liked it (she likes cold chicken). Mine, on the other hand, was somewhat warm but was tough and chewy, and tasted like what I imagine a charcoal brick would taste like. :crazy2: We ended up at a McDonald's near Universal later that night and I got another chicken sandwich for under $5 that I much preferred to Sci-Fi's. Go figure! :lmao: Our waiter was slow as a snail also, but we also had to wait almost 40 minutes just to be seated (even though we had ADRs). Sci-Fi is not exactly on my "Must Do" list anymore, but I might try it again at some point. But I'll stay away from the chicken next time, I think. :rolleyes1

I've really enjoyed your pictures and reviews. Looking forward to reading more! :wizard:

You may be right but the fries were cold also so I'l have to blame the server unless they have the most disorganized kitchen of all time!

Steelersfan
07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Day 6: (Crystal Palace and Earl of Sandwich)

Breakfast: Crystal Palace

We had a later 10:30 ADR and arrived at about 10:25 due to a splash mountain ride. I waited in a line for 5 minutes or so to check in. They gave me a pager but it went off almost immediately.

This is an awesome experience. It was more crowded than Play N Dine but we still had no problems moving around, etc. The buffet here had many of the same items as Play N Dine but they also had a chef that would cook your eggs any way you wanted. I saw people with omelets, fried eggs, etc. I just went for the scrambled they had prepared so I didnít miss anything at the table. They also had sausage gravy and biscuits which I love but rarely get at home.

Here is my plate
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1143.jpg

The food quality here is very good. They were changing out the food all the time and everything was hot and fresh. They brought my niece two plates of gluten free waffles which she loved.

The character interaction here was very good also. Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore all came around more than once. The place started to empty at around 11:00 and we got even more time with the characters. We were not rushed at all.

Our server was there filling our drinks constantly. We always do this buffet when we visit but it was really neat because it was our daughterís 1st trip so she really enjoyed it. The 10:30 breakfast worked so well for us, Iím just not sure we would want to eat breakfast every day but this three days we ate breakfast was perfect. I think restaurants are able to do breakfast foods the easiest and they seem to hold up well in the buffet. I know I can cook eggs, bacon and sausage at home easier than prime rib. There is just a bigger margin for error. Plus as a bonus, if you are not on the dinner plan you will be full for most of the day.

I guess, like the Play N Dine, the only possible negative would be a fear of going up to the buffet and missing a character visit to your table. Here they had a very specific pattern that the server explained when we sat down so we were easily able to tell when the characters were coming. I think everyone loves the Crystal Palace so you donít need me to convince you, but it is a really cool place to go. Try to fit it in on your next trip and you wonít be disappointed.

Dinner: Earl of Sandwich

This was one place my wife really wanted to try so we went to Downtown Disney in the evening. We took naps that afternoon and a slept a long time (nobody woke me up) so we were later getting there than I wanted, but it was my fault. The whole area was getting very crowded.

We had to split up because they didnít have anything gluten free there. In fact most of downtown Disney didnít. My mom took my niece to McDonalds for fries. She had to pay OOP for them. The rest of the group grabbed something back at the POP food court because we went back there to get the bus to MK for Spectromagic later.

I had the Beef N Bleu
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020462.jpg

This was very, very, very, very good. The only negative here was you only got the sandwich, drink and a choice of cookie OR chips. On the dining plan you donít get as much food as other places. This was OK with me because I really wasnít hungry as the Crystal Palace breakfast still had me full.

My wife had the Original 1762
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020463.jpg

She said she wanted to be adventurous and ordered it with the horseradish sauceÖjust as it is on the menu. She said it was also very good but a little spicy, especially towards the end. We both love spicy foods but she said it was a little hot. If you donít like it hot, maybe order without the sauce and you will have one heck of a roast beef sandwich.

Our daughter had her staple PB&J.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/P1020464.jpg

This actually came out warm which was really different. She whined that it was too big for her mouth (it was), so we had to break it into pieces for her. She ate half, which was great because this was a really big sandwich for a 3 year old.

Overall, we loved this place. My brother waited to eat at the food court because he said it smelled funny to him. I think it was just a medley of smells working together. I thought it smelled great. This place would be especially appealing if we were not on the dining plan. You could get a good sandwich and drink for a reasonable price. We will make this a traditional stop when going to DTD. As a bonus, the drinks were refillable which was nice in the 90 degree heat.

Still more to come

pugluver31902
07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for more reviews! Im still loving the gluten free info. On a side note- Mc'ds fries are cooked in gluten containing oil, some people never get sick from it at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there incase your niece's family was unaware. Not trying to step on anyone's toes!

Steelersfan
07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for more reviews! Im still loving the gluten free info. On a side note- Mc'ds fries are cooked in gluten containing oil, some people never get sick from it at all, but I just thought I would throw it out there incase your niece's family was unaware. Not trying to step on anyone's toes!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the McDonald's info? When my niece was diagnosed, the nutritionist at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh told them that the McDonald's fries were one of the few treats that celiac kids could keep on their diet.

Also, I'm a high school teacher and several of my kids work there. I asked them if they had one dedicated fryer just for the french fries and they said yes. They knew exactly what I was talking about when I talked about gluten (for once!). I asked them if Mcnuggets or anything ever get into the french fry grease and they said no but they have to drain and clean the fryer immediately if it does. They also said that they will not get in trouble for accidentally contaminatingthe grease but will be fired if they do not report that they did it.

They did add that some smaller McDonalds like the ones inside Wal-Marts sometimes use the same fryer because of limited space. You just have to ask.

This is a serious issue though and I'd like to get the right answer.

My niece does get sick if she even gets any gluten but she was fine after eating the fries.

Let me know where you got your info so I can check it further.

Thanks

bekkiz
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
That's so funny, my DH and I order the exact same thing at Earl! (Although I get the beef and blue, and he gets the 1762)

I wish there was one near my house, I think I would eat there all of the time!

Awesome reviews too. I love the pictures, so thank you :)

Timon
07-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I am just loving your report!! :woohoo: Can't wait for the rest! :cool1:

passthepixiedust
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I am subbing! Great pics!

pugluver31902
07-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Here is a Fry link for you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

and here is another http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38082.php

I was able to do a search and find a ton of links, those are just the first two that popped up. Please dont take offense, Im certainly not telling you to override what the doctors told your niece, I was just bringing it up out of concern. She may not actually be getting sick from it, but it could be causing damage on the inside. I know that when McDonalds first announced it, people were FURIOUS. Its not the fries themselves, or the cross contamination issue, its the fact that the oil has flavoring in it that contains wheat. The McDonald's website does list that the fries contain wheat.

Tat2ddisneymom
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice reviews and pics!

I showed my son your pics from WCC and he said he wanted to try eating there. So, I called to see if I could change one of our reservations, but no luck. The only time they had open was 9:10 p.m. and by that time, we would be pretty much ready to go to bed. Waaaay too late for a dinner for us.:sad1:

bsusanmb
07-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I just love your reviews and pictures! Thanks for taking the time to write and post the photos.

Steelersfan
07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Here is a Fry link for you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11326937/

and here is another http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38082.php

I was able to do a search and find a ton of links, those are just the first two that popped up. Please dont take offense, Im certainly not telling you to override what the doctors told your niece, I was just bringing it up out of concern. She may not actually be getting sick from it, but it could be causing damage on the inside. I know that when McDonalds first announced it, people were FURIOUS. Its not the fries themselves, or the cross contamination issue, its the fact that the oil has flavoring in it that contains wheat. The McDonald's website does list that the fries contain wheat.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely forward this to her parents.

pugluver31902
08-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely forward this to her parents.

I wasnt sure that the links would work, but Im glad they did. I hope I didnt come off as being Mrs. know it all, I was just concerned.

Your dining reviews are great! Great pics!!!

Steelersfan
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Day 7 ( Liberty Inn & Chef Mickey’s)

Lunch: Liberty Inn. For our last full day we all kind of split up. My wife, daughter and I went to the World Showcase so my daughter could complete her Kid Cot project and get the picture. My mom, dad and Niece went to Typhoon Lagoon and my brother went to Disney Quest.

After getting half way through we stopped at the Liberty Inn for lunch. In case you didn’t notice we are creatures of habit and like to eat at places we know and trust. We have eaten here every time and wanted to keep the streak in going.

We arrived at about 12:00 which was a little late considering our Chef Mickey’s ADR was for 5:10, but we were surprised to find the place relatively empty. I think this is one of the reasons we like it here… NOBODY seems to know it exists. We went right up to the cashier and ordered our meals.

I had the double bacon burger. Now, some folks might say “it was just a burger” but like I said at the beginning… that’s what I ordered and wanted! As usual, it was very good and the fixin’s bar made it even better.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1317.jpg

Keep in mind that the fixin’s here were not as good as Cosmic Ray’s but there were still onions, lettuce, pickles, tomato, etc. There was just no mushrooms, etc.

My wife went with her staple of chicken strips.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1314.jpg

There was BBQ sauce and honey mustard also. She liked them and our daughter even mooched some.

Our daughter shocked the house by asking for yes… PB&J. She did manage to eat most of it. Just a note that most places offer the crustable (sp?) brand PB&J. She liked it along with all her sides.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1315.jpg

I can’t stress how much we like this counter service stop. Other than a place called “Mr. Kamel’s” in the AK a few years back, this is one of the beat places to grab a quick meal. Mr. Kamels used to have awesome burgers. It is still there but didn’t have the burgers! As a bonus, a formation of soldiers in colonial garb came out and performed as we were eating. It just solidified our opinion of this place.

Dinner: Chef Mickey’s. OK, I know this place has received some less than flattering reviews but we booked it mostly because the kids could meet the big wigs. We had a 5:10 ADR and were seated fairly quickly as the place was empty as we arrived.

Here’s my plate
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1388.jpg

Here’s my brother’s plate
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1387.jpg

And my wife’s plate
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1389.jpg

My daughter’s kid’s plate
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1386.jpg

And my dessert
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1402.jpg

And not to leave out my wife’s dessert
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa154/pshifko/100_1403.jpg

Let me start by saying that we actually found the food here to be very good. They had a very plentiful salad bar, ravioli, prime rib, chicken, pasta, salmon, kielbasa and kraut (my favorite) just to name a few. There was a ton of food and all kinds of selections. We all agreed that this was a very good option. I have nothing bad to say about Disney’s end of things.

In fact we all noticed that the chef that talked to my mom and niece about her allergy was out wiping things off and keeping them clean. It was kind of inspirational to see someone take so much pride in his work. As cheesy as it sounds, I think I’m going to remember that chef when I go back to my high school teaching job this fall and try to take that kind of pride in my work. Most chefs would just let his underlings do the “dirty work” but he was out there first-hand and I think he should be recognized for that.

Now for the bad part. This place showed me a side of humanity that I really didn’t want to see in the arguably “happiest place on Earth.” Because we were one of the 1st groups there, people started rushing the buffet as they arrives as if this was the last food left on the planet! Kids went up with no adult supervision and the food was flying! C’mon people, if your son or daughter is incapable of taking a spoon of mashed potatoes and putting it on their plate without slopping it over all the other food items HELP THEM. GO BACK IN A MINUTE OR TWO TO GET YOUR FOOD! IT WILL STILL BE THERE. No wonder the poor chef had to come out and clean.

Even the adults got into the act. Some lady cut right in front of my wife with her father claiming he was “too old to wait in line.” He wasn’t too old to stand there for several minutes and scream at the poor guy carving the prime rib until he got a piece he wanted. The behavior by people here was just embarrassing and it made the food line even longer than it needed to be. Now I know what it feels like to be surrounded by great white sharks! Scratch that off the “to do list”… been there done that!

I think that getting a 6:00-6:30 reservation may work better because that initial rush would be over. It was just pure greed at the beginning.

Having said all this, we really did like the place. Maybe we just hit it on a good day food-wise, but the character interaction and everything on the Disney end of things was fantastic. We were not rushed at all, like all the other character meals. We all agreed that we would go here again; we would just tweak the time a little. The desserts are out of this world also just in case that’s your kind of thing!

Last meal and final thoughts still to come!

Steelersfan
08-01-2007, 07:43 AM
I wasnt sure that the links would work, but Im glad they did. I hope I didnt come off as being Mrs. know it all, I was just concerned.

Your dining reviews are great! Great pics!!!

You didn't. You live with the allergy so you would know much more than me. The longer I live, the more I realize that hospitals and doctors don't know everything. You really do have to check and learn on your own.

Saving my niece from health problems due to the fries made the time to do this worth the while.

Thanks

fraggle551
08-01-2007, 11:21 AM
just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed your reviews! you chose many of the same places we are thinking about for our trip in may, so im glad to see what you think of them!

KimWDW
08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Great reviews & pics! Thank you!

2manypets
08-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Everything looked so good!:thumbsup2

pugluver31902
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
You didn't. You live with the allergy so you would know much more than me. The longer I live, the more I realize that hospitals and doctors don't know everything. You really do have to check and learn on your own.

Saving my niece from health problems due to the fries made the time to do this worth the while.

Thanks

Just thought I would add that Wendy's does have gluten free menu if you have one by you. They are pretty educated in that kind of thing. The menu is on the website.

Best dining reviews I have read. Great job! Thanks so much!

SmallWorld71
08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying your reviews.:thumbsup2 We are eating at many of the same places in a few weeks and your pics are getting me all excited!:banana:

2BusyPlanning
08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Were the raviolis at Chef Mickey's "Mickey" shaped? It sort of looks like they are, but I can't tell for sure. It would be cute if they were!

DisneycrazedX6
08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy....can't wait to see more! I leave in 4 days and am eating at a few places that you chose, can't wait!!!!!

TripTime
08-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Wow, now I'm starving!!!!

raven69david
08-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Totally awesome review; very thorough - thank you for taking the time to break it all down for us. I almost feel as if i had gone with you all on the trip from the detailed descriptions and pictures that make your mouth water. After viewing all of these meals i just have to <burp>; excuse me.:o :laughing:

Steelersfan
08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Were the raviolis at Chef Mickey's "Mickey" shaped? It sort of looks like they are, but I can't tell for sure. It would be cute if they were!

Yes they were. They tasted pretty good also!

theycallmered
08-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Great reviews. It is interesting to see what Disney does for someone with a gluten problem.

missmun52
08-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Great reviews! I really love reading them. I also enjoyed the BK with Jo Jo and will be returning this year again! My DS loved it and I am looking forward to see the look on his face when he meets her again.

Nice to know about the Mc Donalds info i found on here. My family stoped eating there almost two years ago after finding out some of the stuff they put in the food, then we decided to stop eating Wendys, Burger King, Taco bell and more recently Checkers and I am so glad we did.

MEM
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Fabulous reviews and photos, Steelersfan! I am a Steelers Fan living in Patriots country.

My favorite character meal without a doubt is the CP breakfast.

kloiec
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Masterpiece! My kids and I are enjoying looking and all the wonderful meals and they just love the presentation of Mickey Mouse from the plates to the desserts. This will be our first time to Walt Disney world let alone experince the Dinning Plan!

Thank-you again for taking the time to take the wonderful pictures to share with all of us counting down to our trip dates.....44 more days for us.

Cheers!

disneyquilter
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Great review and pictures! :goodvibes

DisneyMom5
08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Great review and pics (you should add your pics to the Disney Food pics AKA Food P*rn thread. ;) )

We must have similar tastes, as we have a lot of the same ADRs, some repeats, some new -- Princess Breakfast (really appreciated the pics of that), H&V, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, and Biergarten (Also really appreciated those pics).

OH, and we have 2 kids who can't eat wheat (not celiac, thank goodness, but still a problem.)

Looking forward to the rest. Thanks!

natalielongstaff
08-02-2007, 02:40 PM
great pics, thanks for sharing with us

*NikkiBell*
08-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi! Great reviews!

I noticed in the picture from Pinocchio's that your wife had yogurt with her meal. Was that something she brought from home or the resort or bought there at the park?

Tink3Belle
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Great REVIEWS! Great Pictures also!

eemmie1
08-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I am loving your reviews.:banana: :banana:

Tatania
08-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Your pictures are some of the best I've ever seen and I love looking at them. I'll be subscribing to this thread :love:

I completely agree with you about the poor parenting out there. I just got back from a cruise (on Carnival this time) and the behavior of the kids was absolutely atrocious. They'd stick their finger into the icing on an uncut cake, drop ice cream cones into the pool, take one bite out of an apple before throwing it out, etc. Even if the parents happened to be there, they never said a word about any of it. It's no wonder the rest of the world is appalled at our North American lack of manners and courtesy.

Tatania

12 time visitor to WDW since 1976. 2 times to Disneyland.

Steelersfan
08-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi! Great reviews!

I noticed in the picture from Pinocchio's that your wife had yogurt with her meal. Was that something she brought from home or the resort or bought there at the park?

They had it there and offered it as a side. Come to think of it, her salad might have been a greek salad so maybe it was offered because if that. Isn't yogurt a big part of greek cuisine?

I know our niece just ate it because it was gluten free.

Steelersfan
08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Your pictures are some of the best I've ever seen and I love looking at them. I'll be subscribing to this thread :love:

I completely agree with you about the poor parenting out there. I just got back from a cruise (on Carnival this time) and the behavior of the kids was absolutely atrocious. They'd stick their finger into the icing on an uncut cake, drop ice cream cones into the pool, take one bite out of an apple before throwing it out, etc. Even if the parents happened to be there, they never said a word about any of it. It's no wonder the rest of the world is appalled at our North American lack of manners and courtesy.

Tatania

12 time visitor to WDW since 1976. 2 times to Disneyland.

Here it wasn't just the American/Canadian parents... it was everyone. Language and country or residence obviously has little to do with behavior.

I teach in what is considered an "urban" high school and our kids have an unfair reputation of being uncooperative in the surrounding communities. I have had lunch duty many, many years and those kids with no parental supervision are 100% better than these kids were.

My daughter is no angel. She's almost 4 and decided to scream "dammit" as we were going through the airport security because her cousin got a sticker from the screeners and she didn't. We by no means have all the answers as parents but we absolutely will not allow our child to impose on others.

A good example is kids kicking the back of your seat. Some parents just sit there and watch their kid do it. When we didn't have a child we swore ours wouldn't do those things and she doesn't.

I am a very easy going guy and I always prepare myself for this kind of thing when going someplace crowded so this behavior was very bad to get me to be stewing about it for so long.

Like I said, the kids are one thing but the adults were just as bad. You just have to ignore it and try to enjoy your trip.

diannamaria
08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
This is a very satisfying dining thread so far - thanks for sharing. I subscribed!

Only one thing wrong with this so far.....

Go Eagles!!! :lmao:

...signing off from Philly :)

Tinkerbell_Girl
08-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the great reviews and pics!

Steelersfan
08-03-2007, 04:51 PM
This is a very satisfying dining thread so far - thanks for sharing. I subscribed!

Only one thing wrong with this so far.....

Go Eagles!!! :lmao:

...signing off from Philly :)

I have Donovan McNabb in one of my fantasy leagues so I'll agree with you!

Amyrlin
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
We are over there for the Eagles opening game, and OH is busy trying to find somewhere to watch it... he is hoping Hooters will be showing it, I wonder why?

pumba
08-03-2007, 05:17 PM
your reviews and photos are fantastic......thanks so much for getting my mood into DISNEY MOOD.......we are going in another month......thanks again

JMSan10
08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Your descriptions of your dining experiences and the photos have really made me even more anxious for September 14th to get here!!:yay::mickeyjum Thanks so much for taking your time to share with all of us. :flower1:

NMW
08-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the pictures and the reviews!

Steelersfan
08-06-2007, 01:47 PM
no problem

MandM-Mom
08-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Great reviews, chef mickey's looks good, we have a lunch adr at the end of august and I hope it is good, the dinner looks yummy!

marivaid
08-08-2007, 02:54 AM
Awesome reviews and pics !! Thank you :banana:

momof2disprincesses
08-08-2007, 07:21 AM
These are great reviews. Love the pictures. Thanks for writing!!

swankybeth
08-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Great reviews and pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post. :smickey:

shovan
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Wonderful pics & reviews!!! :thumbsup2 Thanks for posting!!!! :goodvibes

Ella's Mom
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Please post your dining reviews when you return. I"m planning a trip and taking my mom who has celiac. I'd love to read about where you eat and what you eat. I'd love to know about your food options at restaurants. Thanks!

momof2forever
08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Great review and thanks for sharing!

I have a question. Since you got to do both Playhouse Disney Play and Dine and Crystal Palace breakfast, if you had to choose one, which one would you do?

I have both scheduled and was thinking about changing one to lunch or dinner. I was thinking two breakfast might be too much.

Any suggestions?

gone2disney
08-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much for the thorough reviews. We are going to many of the same places and your descriptions and pictures have helped a great deal!

Marion
08-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Loving your reviewing style and your pictures! Darnit... I'm totally starving now! :teeth:

*Emily*
08-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Loooove it all, great job!

mom of princess
08-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone, I'm the wife of SteelersFan. I DID like the chicken sandwich at Tusker House, I told him but he couldn't hear because it was crowded in there. If you all thought my plate was piled high, it is because I only got to go to the buffets once or twice compared to his 2-3 or more times. See, I went thru and got our DD's plate then went back for my own - making sure to not miss any pictures or skip any autographs.
I would say that we will do Playhouse Disney breakfast again for sure, as long as DD continues to like it, but he & I always have done the Crystal Palace breakfast. You don't need to have a kid to enjoy good food, and that place has good food - and it has gotten better since we went in 2001. We had 3 breakfasts booked this time and I think we would do all of them again because they all were good food. Plus you were full most of the day so you could get away with not eating again until 5 or 6 PM. Even DD didn't ask for food thru the day - we made sure she always drank her fluids since she sweats as much as her Daddy.
In my opinion, we will skip Whispering Canyon and Sci-Fi next trip. They seem to be lacking what they used to have on the previous trips. I'm glad I found Earl of Sandwich, FYI the last 1 1/2-inches of that sandwich was mostly horseradish sauce (which I don't like but was giving it a shot) and that is why it was hot, and we will be sure to do that one again!!
Glad to see that you all liked his report and appreciated him taking pix of our food before we could eat it.

gigi1313
08-11-2007, 07:55 PM
awesome reviews and photos!!!

while i agree w/what you said about the guests at chef mickey's (worse than any other buffet... i wonder why?), the CHEF there (allan) is the BEST!!! (my son has food allergies also)

i love ALL your reviews! so many are the places we are planning to eat... thanks for the info about norway breakfast, we're really looking forward to that! and my son is a BIG Fan of LIberty cafe at epcot too! :)

thanks again :)

mom2my3kids
08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Great reviews even though I don't like your screen name..:rolleyes1 J/k:love:

Mickey-4-Me
08-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Yummy! Your pics and reviews are great. Thank you.

Steelersfan
08-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Great review and thanks for sharing!

I have a question. Since you got to do both Playhouse Disney Play and Dine and Crystal Palace breakfast, if you had to choose one, which one would you do?

I have both scheduled and was thinking about changing one to lunch or dinner. I was thinking two breakfast might be too much.

Any suggestions?

That is a tough question. I would have to base it on who your kids like more, Pooh and friends or JoJo and the Playhouse Disney gang.

If that isn't a consideration, I'd probably go with Crystal Palace only because it might have been a fluke that the Play-N-Dine was so empty.

You really can't go wrong at either place. The food was equally good. Like my wife posted a little earlier, we have eaten at the Crystal Palace our 3 other trips and were never disappointed.

It would be interesting to see if anybody else ate at Play-N-Dine with a later (10:30) reservation and found it to be as peaceful as we did.

Steelersfan
08-12-2007, 12:08 PM
awesome reviews and photos!!!

while i agree w/what you said about the guests at chef mickey's (worse than any other buffet... i wonder why?), the CHEF there (allan) is the BEST!!! (my son has food allergies also)

i love ALL your reviews! so many are the places we are planning to eat... thanks for the info about norway breakfast, we're really looking forward to that! and my son is a BIG Fan of LIberty cafe at epcot too! :)

thanks again :)

That Liberty Inn is underrated. I recommend it to everyone who goes.

blue_eyes5212
08-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Kroger grocery store carries the "Mickey shaped raviolis". I don't know if you have one in your area, but they do have them. They also have hamburgers shaped like Mickey!!

Steelersfan
08-19-2007, 09:13 AM
They took those stores out of our area years ago but I'll have to look around. Our daughter would love them.

MakingScrapbooks
08-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Wonderful reviews and pictures!!! Thanks for taking the time to post such helpful info!

KatMark
08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Terrific reviews and pictures. We have eaten at all the same places and had basically the same reactions to each. Thanks for taking such time and care to post.

Mouse511
08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Great reviews and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

irongirlof12
08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
really enjoyed your reviews and thanks for your tips. :thumbsup2 makes perfect sense!

Chikita83
08-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Thank you so much for all of these reviews, just came back form disney and tried some of your picks. I took lots of pics as well but im unable to post them? how many post do i need in order for me to post picks?? Ty so much!!

Steelersfan
08-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you so much for all of these reviews, just came back form disney and tried some of your picks. I took lots of pics as well but im unable to post them? how many post do i need in order for me to post picks?? Ty so much!!

I went to photobucket.com. You sign up for free then upload the pics you want to use. You then use the insert image tab above to link to the URL you will get from photobucket for each pic. The amount of posts you have made here has no impact.

It is really pretty easy. If I can do it anyone can.

Chikita83
08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I went to photobucket.com. You sign up for free then upload the pics you want to use. You then use the insert image tab above to link to the URL you will get from photobucket for each pic. The amount of posts you have made here has no impact.

Thank you, i will give this a try!!!:goodvibes

AydensMom
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reviews

Chikita83
08-31-2007, 12:15 AM

I finally uploaded my pix, ty for the tips.. dining reviews coming tomorrow!:rotfl:

Ahhhhshley
08-31-2007, 09:25 AM
great reviews! Thanks for taking the time to share them!

Steelersfan
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Just wanted everyone to get another chance to see my reviews since ADR's for this summer are going to be coming up soon!