PDA

View Full Version : Including children in our vows

Allisonjane
07-27-2007, 05:24 AM
We are in the process of writing our vows, we are having Rev. Jack Day and i am trying to piece together bits from his samples and some of our own words. The thing is i want to include my children in the ceremony, my son and daughter from my previous marriage are bridesmaid and ring bearer and our baby daughter (11 months) is flowergirl, but i would really like them mentioned in the vows. Rev.Jack didn't send any samples with children in and im struggling to know what to write, does anyone have any samples they could share with me?

princess110607
07-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Rev Jack Day didn't send me any samples either...but I sent him an email asking him if he has done this before and this was his reply: "I would love to go into detail about the children's ceremony... It is my most favorite ceremony of all."

He then told me to contact him to discuss it....so I would do that if I were you. He seemed very open to the idea. I'm in the same boat as you...have no clue what to write. I'm hoping that when I do contact him...which will be soon...that he'll give me suggestions or be able to send me what he usually says during that time of the ceremony.

luv4mylittleones
07-27-2007, 07:32 AM
I have three children and we will be including them in the vows and ring exchange. We will also be having Rev Jack Day. I haven't sent this to him yet, but here's what I wrote for after DF and I exchange vows:

Today, not only do we join together husband and wife, but we also create a family. Brendan, William, and Bethany are an important part of that family. Will the three of you please come and join hands with Joseph and your Mother?

Joseph, do you promise to take these children, Brendan, William, and Bethany, to care for, encourage, and love as your own, for so long as you may live?
“I do.”

Diane, do you promise to support Joseph in his effort to care for and love your children and do you also promise to support and encourage your children as they grow to accept the marriage of this family?
“I do.”

And now, Brendan, William, Bethany, do you promise to love and respect Joseph, and always do your best to support the marriage of your new family and to encourage and support each other in your new life together?
“We do.”

And after we exchange rings DF will present the kids with their own rings which we have made into pendants:

Brendan, William, Bethany…Joseph would now like to present you with a gift which represents his devotion to you. The inside reads, “A family united”, and so you shall be.

"With these pendants, I promise to take care of you and always love you as my own."

That's the rough draft anyway. I know it's a bit different since you share a child together as well but I tkink the point to remember is you are uniting in not just a partnership, but a family. I hope that helps some.

TinkerBe11
07-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I wasn't included in the vows for my mom's wedding, but I was presented with a medallion right after my parents exchanged rings. At the end of the ceremony instead of presnting them as husband and wife, we were presented as a family. It was really cool.

EllaDisney
07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I would definitely like to include his daughter and my daughter in our ceremony. I have no idea where to start !

Moonpie
07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
When my mother and step father got married I was included in the vows. I was in third grade at the time, and I was the flower girl. I wrote a little poem about how much I was looking forward to him being my "Daddy" so during the vows they had me read it to him. I remember being very surprised at the reaction of the audience/family...they all said, "Awwwww..." He was a very sweet step father who actually asked my permission to marry my mother, even before he proposed to her. :cutie: