PDA

View Full Version : Picky eaters return to WDW! Garden View Tea - what a bummer added

Minnie
07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I can’t believe our trip is over already. We ate in some fabulous and some well not so terrific restaurants. One that gets extremely mixed reviews was one our favorites and another that gets consistent wonderful reviews was in my opinion a very large waste of money.

A list of the restaurants we ate in is as follows. If anyone wants specifics on any of them please let me know.

Table Service:
LeCellier
Coral Reef
Beaches ‘n Crème
Mama Melrose
Whispering Canyon
Liberty Tree Tavern
Crystal Palace
Grand Floridian Afternoon Tea
O’Hana

Counter Service:
Mara’s
Pizzafari
Fantasmic! quick service
Captain Cook’s
Roaring Forks

disneykidz4
07-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Am wondering how Whispering Canyon Cafe was? I have seen some pretty rough reviews lately . . . Also, O'hana - apparently some inconsistencies with service and food . . . I have to choose between the two - maybe you might suggest some other ideas?

I also have to choose between Liberty Tree Tavern and Crystal Palace for dinner -can you help me out here?

Thanks!

Lauren101
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi,

I am interested in what you thought of both Coral Reef and Mama Melrose as we have booked both these for our August trip - and have read very mixed reports on both!

Thanks!
:)

Ellasgirls
07-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Another one wondering about Whispering Canyon...I changed from Prime Time Cafe to this because we had such a great time but am now a little worried due to current reviews....

Minnie
07-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Hmmmm, I think I’ll start at the top of the list and work my way down through the table service restaurants.
Now keep in mind as you read that this review will be written by probably the pickiest eater ever to enter under the hallowed WDW sign and the other two on the trip (my mom and son (13)) are nearly as bad. In other words…. Your mileage may vary.

LeCellier

I chose LeCellier for a couple reasons. (1) we’ve never had a bad meal there and (2) we needed to go to Epcot to pick up our APs and DDE card (which we did not get since the reception was a bit on the snooty side to say the least) :snooty: . This was our first day in WDW and we were starving after being up since 4am to go to the airport. My mouth was watering for the pretzel bread and the French Dip. Much to my dismay the restaurant has changed their menu and taken the French Dip off the menu :eek: :sad2: So now what to do???? :confused3 We ended up with the following:

Son - ordered off the child’s menu, which we had no problem doing and got a cheese pizza and carrot sticks.

My mom - open-faced sirloin steak sandwich minus the caponata (yuck).

Me - mixed field greens appetizer salad minus the blue cheese (another yuck).

Now the method to our madness was that mom and I would share what we ordered though I have to admit we probably could have done without one of the meals as I could easily fill up on the yummy pretzel bread. Oh my mouth waters now just thinking about it…… Sorry about the pause had to pick by tongue back up off the desk.:rolleyes:

Now son the cheese pizza and the carrot sticks hit the spot and wait for it…. Didn’t want desert! What kind of child did I raise????? Oh well we fought over the pretzel bread and that was about it for him.

The salad was very good though it was mainly greens with a yummy shallot dressing. Now who in their right minds would ever try a shallot dressing… but this picky eater has to admit the “world” has some of the best dressings ever!;)

The open-faced steak sandwich was something in which dreams are made. We had it well done… cause who eats steak that is pink – yuck! :rolleyes: Anyways…. I would have never thought to but cheese on a steak but boy was it good. I’m going to try to recreate that one at home if I can find the right cheese at the grocery - melted provolone.

Now by this point buttons were starting to pop so even though I really wanted the Creme Brulee Sampler I knew that I’d better stop. Next time I think I’ll just have the pretzel bread and dessert and maybe “share” with mom again.;)

Next up Coral Reef and what the heck is on mom’s plate???????:eek:

Busymom85
07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the review. Look forward to more.

danjoan14
07-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Do you know if the dinner menu on allearsnet is the correct menu for the CR? I've read they do have prime rib for dinner. Some say they don't. Do they have the grilled pork chops and chicken? :confused:

natalielongstaff
07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
great review :thumbsup2

wilma-bride
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds great - really looking forward to Le cellier next month. And I am a seriously picky eater ;)

disneymom2twins
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Finally! My soul mate when it comes to food.

Blue Cheese yuck - CHECK
Pink Steak - CHECK

I normally would not each shallot dressing either, but now, I may try it :-)

Minnie
07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the review. Look forward to more.

Thank you for replying! I'll have the next one up shortly.

Do you know if the dinner menu on allearsnet is the correct menu for the CR? I've read they do have prime rib for dinner. Some say they don't. Do they have the grilled pork chops and chicken? :confused:

I'm sorry but we only went for lunch. I do know that they have a steak dish and a chicken dish at dinner but I'm not sure which ones. My Coral Reef review will be up next.

great review :thumbsup2

Thank you!

Sounds great - really looking forward to Le cellier next month. And I am a seriously picky eater ;)

You will :cloud9: Le Cellier. Definitely a must do for a picky eater!

Finally! My soul mate when it comes to food.

Blue Cheese yuck - CHECK
Pink Steak - CHECK

I normally would not each shallot dressing either, but now, I may try it :-)

I normally get laughed at for my pickiness but I've been this way since I was a child and not much has changed since. ;) Glad to see I'm not the only one!

BTW - I have found the dressings at WDW to be superb. I'll be writing about a couple more later on.

Thanks for reading everyone! I'll have the Coral Reef review up shortly :hourglass :goodvibes

TigerKat
07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Enjoying your reviews. Can't wait to find out what was on Mom's plate at Coral Reef!:rotfl:

Minnie
07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Now this is a restaurant we’ve always steered clear of, after all this picky eater thinks fish should only be eaten if it’s Chicken of the Sea tuna with a dap of miracle whip. The rest of it… nope don’t think so. However, I’ve always been intrigued by the Chocolate Wave desert that is raved upon here on the Dis – though the restaurant itself gets very mixed reviews to say the least. I also found out that the restaurant had a couple non-fish entrees on the menu so I knew I wouldn’t go hungry ;)

Still though I didn’t make an ADR because I just wasn’t sure we would be adventurous enough to try it and if there would be anything for Stitch to eat as he only eats fish if it’s in the form of fish sticks or popcorn shrimp. Well thankfully, they do have a child’s menu with you guessed it – pizza - so we decided to see if they had room for 3 and yep no problem-o. However, I failed to ask a simple question – how long would we have to wait?????? It ended up being quite a while but it was soooo freaking hot outside that we waited :hourglass

We ended up with a marvelous tank side table that my son loved. I didn’t request this since we didn’t have ADRs and just figured we’d take what we could get. At one point, a diver went by and my son was thrilled. We also had a sleeping sea turtle right by our table for most of the time and several sharks and schools of fish came by. The glasses our pop came in were so cool; blue glass with a plastic dolphin on the side to keep. :goodvibes

Now with only 1 review in so far can you possibly guess which entrée my son decided on? I’ll give you a hint…. Review the LeCellier review. He had the pepperoni pizza from the child’s menu, which we asked for and easily received. Since he didn’t want sides with it, the CM offered to let us pay ala cart so it worked out great. He had this along with the bread that came with our meal, which he loved.

I ordered the Grilled New York Strip (well done of course) - served with potatoes au gratin, beef demi-glace, and broccoli (double yuck) which I had left off. The steak was even better than the steak sandwich at LeCellier the day before. Incredibly juicy and the demi-glace was just the right accompaniment that I didn’t even need ketchup! The potatoes au gratin were sweeter and less cheesy than what I am used to but were still very good. My only slight disappointment was that the CM refused to substitute the broccoli with something different – such as a side salad.

Now my mom is normally a picky eater as well. Let’s just say eating around the “world” is something we will never do. However, she does like fish (yuck again) so she ordered the Barbecued Salmon Sandwich which was seared salmon filet served on a multi-grain bread, with housemade barbecue sauce and pepper jack cheese. I saw that sucker come out and slid as far away as I could. Let’s just say I don’t even do fish smell which was another concern of mine while eating in the restaurant – which by the way there was none! She highly enjoyed the sandwich – as Ron from Harry Potter says, “mental that one” and I agree!

Now we were all stuffed and once again, my son refused desert. Nevertheless, I wasn’t leaving without trying the Dis board famous “Chocolate Wave”. Now let me tell you this little morsel of goodness was even better than the love of my chocolate life – the Zebra Dome. The Chocolate Wave is a warm chocolate cake with a molten white chocolate Grand Marnier center. It also had a few brandied cherries on the side which I quickly passed off (yuck again). Other than those nasty cherries this desert was a little slice of a dream come true. If anyone has the recipe please send it my way! :thumbsup2

Now I will say this meal took quite a bit of time. I think from the time we walked in till the time we walked out it was nearly 2 hours. Quite a bit of park time to give up I admit and after that meal we were more than ready to leave the park.

Up next……Beaches ‘n Crème and they put peanut butter on ice cream???????

danjoan14
07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the review. We'll be trying CR for our first time in November. I'm hoping that they still have grilled chicken or pork chops on the dinner menu when we go. DW is a VERY picky eater. DS and I are not. DW needs all of her food to be plain. Do you know if they have any pasta as a side dish? DW likes pasta and FF to eat with her dinner. And I'm sure that DS will enjoy the tank! :wizard: pirate:

wilma-bride
07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
If anyone has the recipe please send it my way! :thumbsup2

Voila! :)

Chocolate Wave Cake
from Coral Reef, Epcot

Yield - 6

3/4 cup butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 eggs
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons Grand Marnier

For the white-chocolate truffle:
6 ounces white chocolate
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons softened butter
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier

1. Melt butter in a double boiler over medium-low heat.

2. Add chocolate chips, heating until mixture is melted.

3. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl.

4. Add chocolate mixture to sugar mixture and beat well.

5. In a separate bowl, combine four eggs, four yolks, and Grand Marnier. Add this to the chocolate mixture and beat until well mixed. Cover and chill overnight.

6. Melt the white chocolate and heavy cream in a double boiler over low heat. Add butter and Grand Marnier and stir until smooth. Chill overnight.

7. Butter and flour six 5-ounce ramekins. Fill 1/3 of each with the chilled chocolate mixture.

8. Add a rounded tablespoon of the truffle mixture. Fill to the top with the chocolate mixture.

9. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Let the cakes sit for 15-20 minutes before inverting. Run a knife around the edges to loosen. Serve with chocolate sauce, raspberries, and/or ice cream if desired.

Great review of Coral Reef. I am reading your reviews with much interest and I think I would have chosen exactly the same as you - although I believe the potatoes au gratin have onions in and I'm not partial to those at all so I may have had to have another side. It is defintiely a place we plan to visit with the in-laws in April though as they are both big seafood/fish eaters (yuck!)

Caleb's Mom
07-25-2007, 02:44 PM
My DS & DH get the awards for picky eaters of the century and I could never get them near the places you ate. I'll pretty much eat anything but have shied away from DDP for fear that DS & DH would freak.

My QQ is - what were/are you picky eater's specific issues and how did you get around them at some of the specialty restaurants. How did you find places that would have something for everyone? Could you modify/special order items?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide!

danjoan14
07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
My DW has always been a picky eater. I ususally check out the menu selections, then make my ADR's from there. We can eat at Tony's, because she likes pasta. We usually eat at Crystal Palace for breakfast, that's her favorite. We're also eating at 50's Prime Time and Coral Reef. They have chicken and pork on the menu that you can order plain. So I have to do my homework before making any ADR's. It tough, because DS and I are not picky eaters. There's a lot of restaurants that I would love to try, but we can't because DW will not enjoy anything on the menu. :sad1:

Sparklin
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Yum that chocolate wave sounds heavenly! I'll have to try that recipe for sure!

I would love to read your other reviews of all the other restaurants you listed. :)

Minniespal
07-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Excellent ~ Thanx for posting.

Lauren101
07-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for posting a review of Coral Reef - I hope we don't have to wait a long time - and the food sounds good - very much looking forward to that chocolate wave!

Minnie
07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Wilma-Bride – Thank you for the recipe!!!!!!!!!

Caleb’s Mom – It really depends on the issues that your picky eaters have. Do they not like sauces? Do they not like “foreign” foods? Does reading a review of Victoria & Albert’s make them sick?????? I guess my reasoning is that most places will work with you. Now you can’t probably can’t go to Morocco and try to get a plain chicken breast, but many of the sit-down restaurants will work with you. I think you biggest hurdle would be the restaurants “around the world” in Epcot. There are only a couple that we would even consider going to there. Hope that helps. BTW - What restaurants are you interested in trying? We may have tried some of them on one of our trips.

DanJoan14 – Unless the restaurants are the “foreign” ones that are in the “around the world” area in Epcot or are counter service a lot of times the sit down restaurants will work with you. Just like with Caleb’s Mom if you list a restaurant your interested in trying I might be able to help. Your DW sounds very similar to my tastes.

Thank you Sparklin and Minniespal for reading and posting!

Lauren101 – Did you make an ADR ? I think our wait was only so long because we were a walk up. If you try to request a tank side table that would take longer as well. I think most of the tables have really excellent views!

I'll have the next review - Beaches 'n Creme up shortly :goodvibes

I'm also working on a trip report so I'm going back and worth. The link to it if your interested is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1525998 :thumbsup2

Ms. Heimlich
07-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm interested in hearing what you thought of the Afternoon Tea.

We have ADR's and I am really looking forward to it!!!

Can't wait to read the rest!

Ms. H

Minnie
07-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm interested in hearing what you thought of the Afternoon Tea.

Thank you for reading and posting!:goodvibes

Now when I get to the "tea" please remember that it is wrote from a picky eaters point of view and your mileage may very ;) :goodvibes

Minnie
07-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Now this little diner gets rave reviews here on the Dis and….. I happen to agree! No, it’s definitely not 5 star dining but if you are in the mood for a hamburger and ice cream well, it just doesn’t get any better. If there is a tiny negative, it is that this restaurant does not accept ADRs so it’s a walk up and hope the wait time isn’t too long. It is conveniently for the kids not so much for your wallets located next door to an arcade to keep the kids occupied why you wait. Thankfully, for our wallet, we got right in though a family of three that walked up right after us wasn’t as lucky and were told a 30-45 minute wait. I wonder if our luck from the Dream Team earlier that day in Epcot was a part of this little magic?

On previous years my son ordered the children’s cheeseburger plate but if there is any one place that I don’t recommend it unless they have a tiny appetite it is here. They are mini ones with mostly bread and cheese. So, my son ordered the regular size cheeseburger plate with fries and a vanilla shake (adventurous he is not). Now when he orders shakes I get the whip cream and sprinkles as he doesn’t like anything touching his vanilla shake…… Gives a new definition to the word picky doesn’t he???? My mom likes to say he gets it from me, but I’m not so sure. Anyways, he highly enjoyed his meal and ate nearly every drop.

Mom and I shared here thanks to a tip I learned on the Dis. We got the double cheeseburger plate with fries. We had no problem doing this and they were nice enough to plate it separately at no extra charge. Now I know you can make or get a nice cheeseburger at home, but I have yet to find anything that comes close to this one. I highly recommend a stop by and if you happen to like onions (yuck!) then I’ve heard (but will never know) that they have good onion rings as well.

After polishing off our plate it was time to look at the main reason for going to Beaches ‘n Crème – the ice cream of course! Now on the menu was this thing called the No Way Jose. From the menu it had the following… a peanut butter and hot fudge delight with chocolate and vanilla ice cream, peanut butter and chocolate morsels, whipped cream and a cherry. Now I’m normally not a chocolate ice creamer lover (okay I admit my son gets that from me) but chocolate and peanut butter just go hand in hand so after seeing one go by our table we decided to give it a go and oooooohhhhh myyyyyyy goodnesssssss. Talk about a chocolate and peanut butter lovers delight. It tasted like they spooned the peanut butter right out of the jar and served it. It is now a must do for our us.

Next up… Mama Melrose and where’s the bread???????

dburg30
07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I so need to vacation with you all!! I've always been a firm believer in the cow eats the salad, then I eat the cow, therefore indirectly eating the salad :) I also believe that cow + flame + steak sauce = perfect. No need to go thru all those mushrooms / onions / etc etc to mess up a good steak. Same way with pizza! Why throw all that other stuff on it when pep and cheese it JUST fine thank you very much.

Ever notice when pizza gets ordered, and others want their wierd pizzas, that they wind up eating pep and cheese also and the pep and cheese is always what's gone!!! You wanted that wierd pizza, EAT IT! :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :banana: :rotfl:

lissawynn
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Bleu cheese - Yum!
Onions - Yum!
Brandied Cherries - Yum!
Rare steak - Yum!

You put ketchup on steak?

It's interesting to see things from a picky eater's perspective.

Minnie
07-28-2007, 07:16 PM
dburg30 - I like your style!!!!! And your exactly right... why mess up good food with all that extra crap???? I have found that many restaurants in WDW are willing to work with a picky eater - leave off the extra stuff or but the sauce on the side.

lissawynn - You don't put ketchup on steak :scared1: :rotfl2: Thank you for posting :goodvibes I know we are reviews are different from those that enjoy "fine dining" but I hope it helps those that either are or that travel with picky eaters or children as I've been told my pallet is similar to a child :rolleyes:

Minnie
07-28-2007, 07:20 PM
This was a meal that almost wasn’t. MGM is our least favorite park in WDW as to us it is the hottest one. I know AK normally gets that distinction here on the Dis but to us it is MGM. We are also not thrill ride lovers so there isn’t a whole lot there that we enjoy.

Because of this I didn’t make an ADR for lunch, as I wasn’t sure what our plans were for the day. It was also our 3rd straight park rope drop and it was supposed to be a relaxing trip for mom so I wasn’t sure we’d even be there for lunch. :guilty:

Earlier that morning we’d walked by the Brown Derby and considered the menu. The only thing on there that I’d even consider was the Cobb Salad so we walked on to find something else.

Next choice was Sci-Fi, but there were not taking walkups. The CM (or sentry guarding the entrance – who was quite rude and not Disney-like by the way) stated no openings till 9:20 PM (peeps it was only like 11:30AM). Mom snapped a bit at this point as she was very hot and tired. One of us suggested Mama Melrose so we walked that way. :headache:

Thankfully there was a store right outside where mom and son stopped to browse and I snuck over to Mama Melrose and was given the nice "Yes no problem we’ll seat you right away" answer that we all needed.:goodvibes

Now this restaurant has been a favorite of my family. Normally we go for dinner before Fantasmic, so lunch was new for us. For those interested in the dinner, I think the menu is almost exactly the same, which is somewhat disappointing. Mom mentioned she expected to see some sort of Italian sandwiches on the menu and I expected more variety.

One other thing I expected to see at no extra charge, as it was an Italian restaurant was BREAD!!!!!! :mad: That’s right you read it… Mama Melrose now charges for bread – WTH! :sad2: As you know we are highly picky eaters and if we don’t care for the food, then we can always fill up on the breadbasket. And the bread is probably my son’s favorite part of the meal. We almost went ahead and ordered the bread appetizer (now doesn’t that just sound wrong???) Anyways, unfortunately it wasn’t the nice loaves of bread with oils or butter, that we normally enjoy rather it was from Artisan Breads and Spreads - freshly baked breads served with an arugula and chive pesto, sun-dried tomato, roasted vegetable and roasted garlic spreads. Now we’d no more eat that then we would blue cheese or rare steak so much to my son’s dismay we decided against it. :idea:

At that point, I was about ready to just walk out. I was not happy. However, our drinks had come by then and my large glass of Sangria smoothed over my unhappiness. This was a very good Sangria by the way, with lots of fresh fruits. :thumbsup2

Finally, we ordered. My son got… well do I even need to type it???? I’ll leave it to you all to guess and I don’t imagine it will take much thought… :rotfl: Anyways, he stated it was fine, but yes he missed the bread!:rolleyes:

Mom ordered one of our favorites. Chicken Parmigiana. The chicken was highly juicy but there was very little sauce severed with the spaghetti which she liked and I didn’t care for. Personally, it wasn’t my favorite dish so far. However, since we are highly picky it is one of the few items on the menu that are appealing. Most things have mushrooms or some other yucky ingredient so we pass.

I ordered the four-cheese flatbread. It was just okay, not that great and not that bad. It had a slightly sweet taste to it that I wasn’t thrilled about. Anyone know which cheese would have caused that??? From the menu it had these cheeses Asiago, Mozzarella, Provolone, and Gorgonzola. For some reason I think it is likely the Gorgonzola but I’m not sure. I wouldn’t order it again but choked it down with the large glass of Sangria and shared mom’s chicken parm.

We were going to order desert at the beginning of the meal, but at this point we were ready to see the backside of MGM and headed on to the exit. Next time, I’m going to go ahead and book the Sci-Fi, which is about the only place I do actually like in MGM.

As a note, I really didn’t want to write this review of Mama’s. I’ve always been a supporter here on the Dis when many haven’t cared for it. Unfortunately, I now have to agree with the majority and can no longer recommend it. You know they really ought to get a clue when the dining room was nearly empty from the time we started to the time we left. Hopefully, the will bring back the dang bread and update the menu. It really needs it and it’s sad because it used to be a safe bet for picky eaters. :sad1:

Next up Whispering Canyon Cafe

Schucraig
07-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Great reviews! Can't wait for more!:thumbsup2

wilma-bride
07-29-2007, 07:27 AM
What a shame about Mama Melrose. I must admit, nothing on the menu there has never really appealed to me

barbanm
07-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Although I am not a picky eater and love rare steak and would never think of putting ketchup on it... I am loving your reviews! :goodvibes

Barbara

Lauren101
07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Lauren101 – Did you make an ADR ? I think our wait was only so long because we were a walk up. If you try to request a tank side table that would take longer as well. I think most of the tables have really excellent views!

Yes we do have an ADR for lunch for 12 noon - so hoping that we won't have to wait too long!

Sorry to hear you did not like Mama Melrose -we have an ADR there too! I am tempted to cancel it due to all the recent bad reports (and the not-free bread scandal!!) - but we have booked the Fantasmic package - so may keep it just for that - but I am undecided!! But thanks for posting your opinions!

my3disneygirls
07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I ordered the four-cheese flatbread. It was just okay, not that great and not that bad. It had a slightly sweet taste to it that I wasn’t thrilled about. Anyone know which cheese would have caused that??? From the menu it had these cheeses Asiago, Mozzarella, Provolone, and Gorgonzola. For some reason I think it is likely the Gorgonzola but I’m not sure. I wouldn’t order it again but choked it down with the large glass of Sangria and shared mom’s chicken parm.

Next up Whispering Canyon Cafe

Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese.;)

tigger536
07-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Very interesting review! A much different perspective than what I'm used to!

Me:
Sauces of any (and every) kind = yum
Spicy = double yum
Blue cheese (or any kind of cheese for that matter) = yum
Rare steak = yum
Sushi = yum
Ketchup on steak = no no

(You get the idea...in other words I'm the opposite of a picky eater, LOL! :rotfl2: )

Very cool to see things from another viewpoint! Thanks for writing! Looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

Minnie
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Gorgonzola is a type of blue cheese.;)

Ewwwww I ate mold??????????????? Yuck! Thank goodness for the Sangria!

Very interesting review! A much different perspective than what I'm used to!

Me:
Sauces of any (and every) kind = yum
Spicy = double yum
Blue cheese (or any kind of cheese for that matter) = yum
Rare steak = yum
Sushi = yum
Ketchup on steak = no no

(You get the idea...in other words I'm the opposite of a picky eater, LOL! :rotfl2: )

Very cool to see things from another viewpoint! Thanks for writing! Looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

Thank you for reading and posting - though that list about turned my stomach :sick: :lmao:

Minnie
08-01-2007, 09:16 AM
For this meal, we didn’t have reservations. It happened to be our resort hopping evening, so we decided that when we got hungry we’d try to do a walk up somewhere or just grab counter service. It ended up being the Wilderness Lodge so I walked up to the podium and asked for a table for 3 and was told no problem! :thumbsup2

After a short wait, the buzzer went off and we were quickly seated. Now we normally go each July and the trip normally lands on my mom’s birthday. Our last visit to the WCC, it was my mom’s birthday and she was lucky enough to get a surprise… a whole tray of salad dropped literally on her head by Bobby the Kid. So this time my mom took an inside seat…. She was taking no chances :rolleyes1

Our ordering started off fine but turned interesting real quick. We asked and received a child’s menu with no problem for DS. He ordered something different for once.. cheeseburger and fries with a vanilla milkshake. One thing that really surprised me was the lack of a cheeseburger on many of the kids menus :confused3

Next came the interesting part of the ordering. Mom and I will often share a meal as the portions are large and it let’s us order an appetizer or desert as well. However, when mom stated that we wanted to share the Smoked Prime Rib - with mashed potatoes and season vegetables. Our server stated that he didn’t believe that we could share. WHT????:headache: We’ve done this several times before in all types of restaurants around the “world.” It had never been an issue before. He stated that he’d have to contact the manager to see if we could do this. I then decided to order the Mixed Greens - tossed in apple vinaigrette dressing with tomatoes, cucumbers and onions appetizer salad rather than to have the hassle. :rolleyes:

DS’s milkshake came out first along with a basket of cornbread and butter. This thrilled this carb loven family and boy it was good. Next out came our meals, DS loved his cheeseburger and fries of course. Though wondered why anyone would put a pickle on this plate….. Yes picky picky I know. Wonder where he got that from????? :rolleyes1

Mom and I highly enjoyed our “shared meal.” Once it was on the table they could have cared less what we ate. The salad was extremely fresh and once again the dressing was out of this world. I need to find the recipe on a couple of those as they really change up the ordinary salad. The Prime Rib was just perfect – well done and cooked through but still highly juicy. After all the food, we were stuffed and passed on desert. :eek:

I do have to say that WCC is more of a restaurant now than a dining experience. Only a couple of years ago it was full of fun antics that are now mostly gone. The only things that we noticed this trip was the ketch - DS needed ketchup so the waiter said well you know what happens and hollered across the room for ketchup. We ended up with a table full. Straw throwing and the thunking of the serving trays. Still the WCC is a nice restaurant for picky eaters. Several choices on the menu that most anyone would likely enjoy. Even with the antics gone and the “sharing” issue, we will likely return.:thumbsup2

my3disneygirls
08-01-2007, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Minnie;20051530]Ewwwww I ate mold??????????????? Yuck! Thank goodness for the Sangria!

:rotfl: I chuckled when you wrote that the food had Gorgonzola on it. I just had to tell you. Now you know when you see it on a menu, you should avoid it.;)

natalielongstaff
08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
enjoyed reading the reviews, thanks :)

LBelle
08-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Great reviews! Funny too!!! :lmao:

Subscr:banana: ibing!!!!

Minnie
08-06-2007, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Minnie;20051530]Ewwwww I ate mold??????????????? Yuck! Thank goodness for the Sangria!

:rotfl: I chuckled when you wrote that the food had Gorgonzola on it. I just had to tell you. Now you know when you see it on a menu, you should avoid it.;)

Thanks I think :sick: :rotfl: I will not definitely avoid anyting with "that" word!

enjoyed reading the reviews, thanks :)

Thank you for reading & posting!:thumbsup2

Great reviews! Funny too!!! :lmao:

Subscr:banana: ibing!!!!

Ahhh thanks that is so nice of you :goodvibes

Minnie
08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Okay I am now way past where my trip report is but I’m having such sharing my dining report with you all that I’m going to go ahead and write the next review.

It is fun to both commiserate with my fellow discriminating eaters (someone at work called me a picky eater so I came up with that instead) and those that have well more adventurous pallets. I just wanted to thank you all for posting!

Liberty Tree Tavern – for lunch

Now for some weird reason my mom doesn’t care for the Magic Kingdom :scared1: :eek: and since she was really tired this trip, she had no interest on going after seeing my TGM itinerary. :rolleyes: So she stayed behind and Stitch and I went commando through MK. :idea: (Don't worry we managed to grab extra fast passes and went on her favorite rides at the MK that evening. She didn't get to totally skip the MK ;) )

Since we had time before our fast pass was up (what was up with those peeps waiting 90mins+ for BTMR??????? Anyways….. we decided to use our time more wisely and try to grab some lunch. I’d planned a quick counter service, but it was very hot and we had the time so we walked into LTT and asked for an opening for 2 and were granted with a yes! Cool scored our first walk up seating of the trip! :cool1:

We sat for just a little while and then a family was called up stairs and rang the dinner bell. The funny thing was they used our name and state. You should have seen their faces…. :lmao: It was soooo funny. Well it was until everyone got seated except us.:rolleyes: I finally walked up and asked when we would be seated and got a very blank look. Apparently, no know told the seat assigner that they’d written down the wrong names…. Thankfully, they quickly seated us and since we’d had time to look at the menu we were ready to order.

With Stitch it is always difficult to decide how much to order. Sometimes he can eat me out of house and home and sometimes he takes a nibble and declares himself full. With the horrible heat we were experiencing I figured we’d just share a meal and get a snack later if he wanted one. This ended up being a great move as the portion here are huge. I definitely recommend sharing.:thumbsup2

As Stitch wanted a cheeseburger and I decided that didn’t sound too bad after all we went ahead and ordered a bacon cheeseburger – plain – with fries and then I ordered the Declaration Salad - field greens and vegetables tossed with your choice of our tavern strawberry vinaigrette. The plan was to split the cheeseburger and then Stitch would eat the fries and I would eat the salad. And this worked like a charm…….

Until I cut the cheeseburger in half and the darn thing was still raw in side – yuck!!!!!! :scared1: Now I know we are picky but this thing wasn’t just pink it was literally raw hamburger.:scared1: I let the CM know and she quickly took the plate away and had a new one made. She was very apologetic but really we were fine with waiting. We just got out the park map and enjoyed the quiet time together of park planning. With life being so horribly busy, the times like these are so rare. Only in WDW do I really feel the weight of the worries of life leave my shoulders and life seems just a little sweeter.:cloud9:

Anyways, eventually I polished off the salad and our cheeseburger came back out. This time the CM waited until I had cut into it before leaving…. It was cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the remainder of our meal. Stitch barely made it through his half so I made the right ordering decision by the way. Oh and yes I did tip as normal as it wasn’t the CM’s fault the food came out bad.;)

I know the LTT gets poor review for the “Stovers” evening food, but if you’re in the mood for a respite in the middle of the busy “world” then stop on by and take a trip into the past. I bet you’ll be glad you did! :goodvibes

AlisonUK
08-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your reviews - I enjoyed reading them!

TigerKat
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I've been reading so many good reviews of LTT for lunch I think we may try and walk up. Doesn't hurt to try!

wilma-bride
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Really enjoying your reviews - we may try LTT for lunch next time we're in 'the World' :thumbsup2

Minnie
08-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your reviews - I enjoyed reading them!

Thank you for posting :goodvibes

I've been reading so many good reviews of LTT for lunch I think we may try and walk up. Doesn't hurt to try!

If you try for a walk up, try to go about 11:15-11:30 time frame and you should be good as long as it's not during a holiday time frame. We've never had a bad meal here :thumbsup2 Thanks for posting :goodvibes

Really enjoying your reviews - we may try LTT for lunch next time we're in 'the World' :thumbsup2

I hope you enjoy it! It's such a nice spot for a rest while you wait for your FPs to be ready ;) Thanks for posting... I'll try to get the next one up soon :thumbsup2

Minnie
08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
We had looked forward all year to this dinner. A wonderful buffet with Pooh & Friends. :banana: I have pictures from either a CP breakfast or dinner from all of our trips. Some of the funniest moments are impromptu actions by the character that just seem to be like a magnet to my mom :laughing: . Those pictures are priceless but so that I escape bodily injury incase she happens to read this…. I’ll play it safe and not post them :idea: :rolleyes1

Anyways… we timed this meal perfectly so that we were done eating just in time to walk out on to the patio and have a wonderful view of wishes. Mom was even able to sit on a bench and watch, which was a first for us! Now we weren’t able to watch Spectro with this plan but we’ve seen that several times before so it worked for us. For those of you that have never seen Spectro I would definitely time it different :hourglass

The CP is a buffet no matter which meal you choose. In this case of course it was dinner. We had just been seated and the characters were starting to come around. Thanks to a tip from the CM we waited until the close ones came by before heading off to the line as it takes 90 minutes for the characters to come back around :scared1: So time your buffet times carefully! We found that during the parade was a great time as the lines were short and we were sure not to miss the characters as they take a brief “water break” in between the parade and the next rounds :thumbsup2

The food was delicious as always. Perfectly cooked prime rib. Now I say this because of a little tip by mom found. If you ask for well done they will put a piece on the grill and it is wonderful! Otherwise it is wayyyyy to rare so if you’re picky like we are make sure to ask. The CM had no problem doing this! There were all kinds of offerings on the buffet. Rather than typing them all out just check out the following link for the variety… Something for everyone no matter how picky or how crazy his or her taste buds may be.

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cpd.htm

The deserts were wonderful! DS would surprised us by actually putting ready for this… sprinkles on his vanilla ice cream (will wonders never cease)! Must have been a bit of pixie dust in those chicken fingers!

I snagged a plate of a little of everything and it was a feast for the senses. One of my favorites was the tiramisu though mom didn’t care for it due to the coffee flavor :cloud9:

Now I have to admit this meal is a little on the expensive side for picky eaters. None of us are big eaters so we probably didn’t get our “money’s worth” if you just go by food alone. However, in WDW we really don’t think that way. We just love this meal; the characters and the beautiful location make it worth the cost for us :cool1:

Personally, if you have a child that wants to see the characters… this is the only way!!!!!:wizard: Money well spent when you consider the time you would have spent waiting in lines. All together a safe but a bit of expensive bet for the picky one in your family.:thumbsup2

Next up Afternoon Tea & the Grand Floridian and oh my what did we get ourselves into.....:headache: oh and the priceless expression on mom's face :eek:

Minnie
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Our trip happened to be over my mom’s birthday and after reading about the Afternoon Tea it seemed to be just the perfect way to enjoy a relaxing afternoon, which I knew my mom would enjoy. However, I didn’t realize something very important and it plays into my opinion of this event. But we’ll get to that in a bit.

I walked up to the podium to check us in and I let the CM know that we were celebrating my mom’s birthday. I had no idea what if anything they might do, but I figured I’d let them know just in case. What I should have let them know was something else entirely, but this uberplanner missed it big time and I still regret it.

Anyways, we were seated shortly and my son was relieved to see several other boys (age toddler to teen) at the tea. I told him it was for grandma and to suck it up beforehand, but he was relieved all the same.

We were seated at a cozy area in the middle of the tea. It was a nice spot with old-fashioned deeply padded chairs and small tables. Almost couch like in setting. The CM first offered us the menus and then a box with various teas. Though we smelled each kind, mom and I both ordered the Imperial English Breakfast - Elegant and refined smooth sweetness of a blend of Ceylon and China Black Teas, as we both prefer tea without fruit, flower, or citrus taste. Just the plain stuff for us thanks (surprise, surprise).

Mom and I then ordered The Grand Tea. Mom happened to notice a table with a glass of wine and strawberries, which sounded wonderful so it was an easy decision to select the offering with the wine. The Grand Tea came with the following:

The Grand Tea - The classic English tradition of Afternoon Tea, Grand Floridian style. We offer you a variety of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, followed by your choice of our freshly baked tea pastries or English trifle, accompanied by a glass of Domaine Ste.-Michelle sparkling wine and your choice of tea. $25.50 per guest (Example of tea sandwiches may include: cucumber with watercress, shrimp salad with dill, chicken salad with almonds, grilled pear with gorgonzola, and egg salad, each on a different bread.)

Now the only thing that sounded even reasonable to actually eat from the tea sandwiches was the chicken salad. When I asked what was included I was informed that if I was picky it probably wasn’t for me. Now the CM might have offended some, but personally I was highly thankful for her frankness. It was almost like she was say… I can’t believe we have to serve that either”….. :rotfl: she offered to substitute the ham/cheese or peanut butter and jelly from the child’s tea and I quickly said plain ham and cheese please – very smart move on my part by the way ;)

Mom decided to stick with the “variety” as she has noticed quick food go past with our standard chicken fingers and said we could hit the quick service afterward if it was awful…. At this point I think we probably should have bailed and went for the chicken fingers but I digress….popcorn::

Son ordered the Mrs. Potts Tea which stated a - For the young tea lover in your party, we offer a variety of tea sandwiches, tuna salad, ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly on white bread. We serve our Mad Hatter tea (chocolate milk), followed by a choice of two pastries $10.50 per guest. He asked them to leave off the tuna salad and was thrilled with his “pot of tea” as he absolutely hates tea.

Son was a bit worried when the CM set the teapot in front of him. But when she poured the “magic tea” he was thrilled. Next she brought a teapot for mom and I to share as we had ordered the same tea. I had never had “loose” tea and made the mistake of pouring it directly into the tea cup (oops).
Eventually the tea sandwiches came out. I was thrilled with my choice though I admit it was an “expensive ham and cheese” :rolleyes1

Mom found her sandwiches well interesting. She was doing okay until she hit the last one…. grilled pear with gorgonzola. Yep that dang gorgonzola again. The look on her face was priceless. I really wish I’d had my camera ready. I started laughing behind my napkin as her face turned a bit green. She had one heck of a time swallowing that “lovely” bite. Now before you all think I was mean I really wasn’t. I was laughing with her she just couldn’t laugh yet.

A nice chug of wine made the “medicine” go down in the most delightful way…… :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Anyways… next up comes the part where I could just kick myself. The CM brought out a plate with scones, jam, and a tart. The problem was that the jam and tart were both raspberry. Mom and I are both highly allergic to raspberries so we had to let the CM know that we couldn’t have it. Now I thought she’d just bring back the scones with a different jam or plain but she didn’t as the scones were in with the tart and there was cross contamination……:confused:

Major bummer!!!! :sad1: :sad2: The CM called the kitchen to find out not only could we not have the scones but not the pastries or trifle either. The only thing that was safe was the strawberries and cream, which was okay, but man I could have that at home any time. She said they also had chocolate brownies that we could have in place of our scones so we said okay.

The CM brought the pastries by for son as he doesn’t have the allergies. He chose a chocolate éclair and chocolate covered strawberry. He said it was okay, but my mouth was watering. I really wanted the swan and had figured on that from the last review I had read. Unfortunately, this time it had the darn raspberry filling so no swan for me….. :rolleyes:

Next she brought out the bowl of strawberries and cream. I have to admit the strawberries were fresh and the cream was nice, but I have to admit I was a bit bummed out by the whole thing….

But it was about to get better….
When the brownies finally came they had stuck a candle in my mom’s and brought a birthday tiara out for her. They then announced her birthday and had the room sing to her. The look on her face was priceless. :cool1: I do have a pic by the way but I’d better not post it or else (or that’s what I’ve been told)…… :rolleyes1

Overall, the experience was well less than “Grand”. It was definitely a one time experience for us and I really wouldn’t recommend it, especially to picky eaters. Really think about it for about $30 bucks I got:

Ham and cheese sandwich, pot of black tea, glass of wine, bowl of strawberries and cream and to top it off…. a stale packaged brownie :mad:

Yep we saw those nasty brownies in a quick service place later in the week. Not even the good fresh ones just the nasty packaged thing they popped on a plate :eek: :headache:

So for picky eaters I wouldn’t recommend this one at all. If you do decide to give it a try and you have any sort of allergies in the family please be sure to let them know clear back when u book it. Otherwise, a stale packaged brownie may just come your way ;)

wilma-bride
08-14-2007, 02:39 AM
What a shame your 'Grand Tea' wasn't quite so grand. I can't believe they weren't able to bring you some fresh scones, just with cream or something :sad2:

Oh well, we live and learn. It is not something which has ever appealed to me anyway - if you're ever in the UK, though, feel free to pop by for afternoon tea and I will make you some scones ;)

lisaj
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Shame about the afternoon tea, enjoying the reviews though as you have been to many of the places we have booked for our trip.

Luv2Roam
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
You did a great job with the reviews. :thumbsup2 Very entertaining.

I am a picky eater. But you have me beat by far. :lmao:
I have some friends who are picky eaters too. The wife refuses to eat red potatoes even. :confused3 But I was shocked when at Concourse Steakhouse she was eating meat so raw I thought it may moo. :scared: :crazy2: (Yeah -- NO pink for me either! :laughing: ) And I USE to pile ketchup on steak. But now I love Heinz 37. :banana: :laughing:

:wave2:

WDW Poly Princess
08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Aww, that sucks about not being able to do the scones and tart! I wonder if you let them know in advance, if they would be able to prepare scones that were safe?

The tea is one of the few sit-down meals that we actually do- so yummy and relaxing!

Dopey's twin Dippy
08-18-2007, 01:13 PM
yep, we are very very picky eaters, well me and my dd. dh will try anthing. this was the best post i ever read............it was so funny................im glad to know about the tea place, we were thinking of trying there cause i love tea, but i do not like any of those sandwiches......but anyhow, i am still laughing at some of this..........to funny......

DisneyMom5
08-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Enjoying your report! Thanks! :cool1: