PDA

View Full Version : Embroidery machine...yea or nay?

graygables
07-23-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking of adding socks to my product line, but I'd want them embroidered with a logo. I've been thinking of getting the Brother Disney machine for that.

How long does it take to embroider a piece (say, 2.5"x1.5", 3 colors)? How much "babysitting" does the machine need? I have experience sewing and have a sewing machine and a serger, so this is the next logical step (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :lmao: ), I'm just trying to make sure it's the right machine for what I need.

cryssi
07-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I have the Janome Memory Craft 11000, and it is fantastic. I previously had the MC 10000, and found that I needed to babysit it. Not so with the new machine, which is more powerful and much smoother. The size you are looking at is the free arm hoop (or sleeve hoop) on my machine. The design will sew relatively quickly at that size, but you will have to sit by the machine for thread changes. That will take the most time. Plus hooping time. I'd allow at least 5-10 min per item, depending on the item and complexity of the design...

sorry, no experience with the Brother. I digitize my own stuff...

Stephres
07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
My mom has one and loves it. I don't think it requires much babysitting at all. She started out simply, embroidering monograms for my kids' outfits she made. Then she took some classes and the latest she gave me was beautifully embroidered pillowcases. The only problem is that I asked for something Disney and I guess Brother has a lock up on Disney designs. I don't know anything about the Brother machine but I know it's the only way to embroider Disney. Good luck with your choice!

bobcat
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I have a Huskvarna Viking Rose embroidery machine, no Disney designs, well except the bootleg ones :rolleyes1 How long it takes to embroider depends on the number of stitches in the design. A small design on a sock would take about 10-15 minutes from hooping to finish of the design. The more colors in the design the longer it will take as you will need to switch threads throughout the designs. You will need a small 2x2 hoop so whatever machine you get make sure you can purchase one.

I usually don't leave my machine while I am embroidering. As soon as I do a thread breaks or I run out of bobbin.

You will also need to buy embroidery thread, sulky is the best, use stabilizer, and you will need to change needles often so consider this in your cost factor. New designs can also get expensive, as well as softwear if your machine doesn't let you add designs directly to your machine or you want to change them in any way.