PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Tips for Women! :)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

StarDrifter
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
:grouphug: This thread is dedicated to the women travelers to Disney! :grouphug:

Here you can share your best tips with the women on Dis! The topics are endless! Here are just a few important topics:

makeup / skincare / tanning?

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?

How do you manage your hair? (:rotfl: that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...)

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!? :sad2:

How do you deal with the men folk / children / even other women! :rolleyes:

How do you plan for your trip?

How do you save money on your vacation?

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?

your strategies for the bus lines and transportation?

what resorts do you choose and why?

:grouphug: why do you take your magical vacation? :grouphug:
These are just a few topics. Come and share your best advice with the women of Dis, we'll thank you for it! Im sure there are plenty of girls who have great tips, and of course, some great stories! :hug:

StarDrifter
07-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Here are some tips I have for managing your hair at disney world...

for most of my vacation, my appearance is out the window. I usually just get out of the shower and pull my hair back into a wet pony tail, braid it, and im good to go. But on the first day, and the evenings at pleasure island or downtown disney Ill try to salvage myself. Now, having my hair down is practically impossible so I usually dont even try, but I do curl my hair and put it into a cute messy bun, which looks really flirty and cute for little effort.

to curl my hair I wash it, put mousse in it (not gel! It really weighs your hair down!) and diffuse it. alternating between flipping my hair upside down. When im done (and some peices may still be wet, but thats ok :) ) I finger it into a ponytail, and secure the elastic with a few bobby pins criss crossed through it so it can withstand the torture of rides! I seperate my tail into two parts, the top half and lower half. I twist the lower half around the elastic and bobby pin it, then take the top half and randomly pin it around the bun. tada! Messy cute curly bun ready for some action at disney world! spray some anti humidity "extreem hold" hairspray and pull a few peices out around your face. Cute at disney world! :woohoo:

hope this helps! xoxo

StarDrifter
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
For me, there are two categories for essentials to pack...:

carry on / purse with me in the park:
For my carry on in the airport, a book and notebook is key! A flight from utah is FOUR hours long, non stop! So keeping yourself preoccupied is key! I love to write in a notebook, poems, doodles, even jotting down what I want to do on vacation! Some other great ideas: Ipod (must!), carry on snacks, crosswords, portable dvd player...

for my purse I bring into the park, minimal is key. But you wanna make sure your prepared. Here is a list of the things you shouldnt leave your hotel without: rain poncho, camera, pain killers, pen, safety pins (so handy! you never know when something might tear or you need to pin up pants that are too long and your stepping on the hems) bobby pins, and a small memo book (to record special thoughts and moments! so handy for trip reports!) to save space, instead of bringing a whole bottle of pain killers, put a select few in a plastic baggy, bind your rain poncho with hair elastics to compress and save space. a purse with lots of pockets is great and keeps you orginized!

nooneshome
07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm a man and I'm not trying to be cute but in my experiences at WDW I have seen quite a lot of sunburned cleavage. :rolleyes1

BeckyScott
07-06-2007, 06:50 PM
sunburned cleavage
I wouldn't have thought about that but in my case, not much of a worry. :sad2:

I have a question, appropriate to this thread. What is the practicality, if any, of wearing a skirt? I was thinking about this. I do tend to wear skirts in the summer quite a bit. I hadn't thought about wearing one to WDW but they do keep ya cool. I just don't know, though, climbing into rides, getting wet, if they would be a really bad choice. Not the big flowing hippie skirts, but something more like a shorter straight skirt? Or maybe the big flowing hippie ones would actually be better?

Or would I just look too "what not to wear" traipsing around the Magic Kingdom in a hippie skirt, fannie pack, and matching family t-shirt? Yikes. Maybe I just answered my own question?

Anyone? Anyone?

dizzi
07-06-2007, 07:59 PM
i find that my upper thighs start to get irratated if i wear a skirt.

I am not a large woman either and they tend to rub toegther after awhile, i would not wear a skirt to disney for long periods of time.

ZoZo
07-06-2007, 10:52 PM

I am not a large woman either and they tend to rub toegther after awhile, i would not wear a skirt to disney for long periods of time.

That can really be a problem, especially in a humid climate. I tried a cute denim above-the-knee skirt on a vacation in California last year, and was miserable because of inner-thigh chafing (and I have fairly thin legs!). I ended up running back to my hotel to get my Dove solid antiperspirant and used that on my thighs, which helped.

I have better luck with "skorts" - they look like a skirt, but have attached shorts underneath. I have a knit one that looks very cute, and it was very comfortable on my last WDW trip. Also, not as much to worry about when on rides, since you don't have a skirt blowing up!

TxRabbit
07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I just wanted to share what I found...My entire family has fair skin (DH had RED hair as a younger man, which has faded into more brown now, but same skin still! LOL) and we use rashguards. I just got mine. I wanted one that would be girly and cute, sporty and maybe even, ah hem, sexy?:cutie: Here's what I found::thumbsup2

http://www.girls4sports.com

I just got it in the mail last week, and I LOVE it! I am looking forward to NOT worrying about burned chest, shoulders, back, etc and just running all around BB and SAB and having a great time. I also got the boy brief bottoms (even though I am not thrilled with how I look in them) and I am very excited to not need to worry about shaving while on vacation, if you know what I mean.:rolleyes1

In terms of sunscreen for the face: I splurge on skin care and I use an expensive facial sunscreen from an expensive facial product line in the morning. That's layer one. I touch up with a facial stick from Neutrogena. It's the coolest thing. It's like a solid deodorant stick, so it's very easy to reapply throughout the day. No messy hands, etc.:thumbsup2

Mousema
07-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I always use Dr Scholl's Peppermint leg cream. I go back to the room for a midday break, wash and apply and do the same at night. It feels sooooooooooo good. It's like a massage for your legs. I've never had tired legs since I started using.

Blueberry
07-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm a man and I'm not trying to be cute but in my experiences at WDW I have seen quite a lot of sunburned cleavage. :rolleyes1

The new aerosol spray on sunscreens work so well for sunburn on cleavage, used it last two trips and it was great.

Blueberry
07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I know a lot of women swear by BodyGlide for legs rubbing together with shorts or skirts but any stick deoderant will help. I prefer the male version of Mennen Speedstick as it seems to work the best. This prevents any leg rubbing rash and the very embarrassing shorts riding up and getting caught problem....:eek:

Cherbear013
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think anyone should wear a skirt to a theme park, you never know what kind of situation you may find yourself in. And what a pain to get in and out of rides wearing on. If you want something that breathes go to REI or a sporting goods store and get some shorts that aren't cotton. Some have vapor wick which helps to keep your clothes from getting drenched with sweat. I wear these for hiking - and tanks from the same material. They are very cool even on 90+ degree days!

pooksma
07-08-2007, 07:39 AM
I picked up some tanks and shorts by Champion and its supposed to be Climatic~ some type of sweat resistant material. We'll see in a few weeks...

princess@heart
07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I finger it into a ponytail, and secure the elastic with a few bobby pins criss crossed through it so it can withstand the torture of rides! I seperate my tail into two parts, the top half and lower half. I twist the lower half around the elastic and bobby pin it, then take the top half and randomly pin it around the bun. tada! Messy cute curly bun ready for some action at disney world! spray some anti humidity "extreem hold" hairspray and pull a few peices out around your face. Cute at disney world! :woohoo:

hope this helps! xoxo

That sounds absolutely adorable! Do you have any pics of it? :thumbsup2

princess@heart
07-08-2007, 08:21 AM
The new aerosol spray on sunscreens work so well for sunburn on cleavage, used it last two trips and it was great.

I totally agree! I LOVE the spray sunscreen. Not the ones that you rub in, but the ones you just spray and go. I burn easily and I find the 30 SPF works well on me if I reapply every few hours. Especially to my shoulders and back if I'm wearing a bathing suit.

princess@heart
07-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I wanted one that would be girly and cute, sporty and maybe even, ah hem, sexy?:cutie: Here's what I found::thumbsup2

That's cute!!! :thumbsup2 But you didn't get the long sleeves, did you? I'd imagine that would be too hot. :confused3

dameodie
07-08-2007, 09:00 AM
re: Body Glide, chafing, blisters, etc...

I found a product at Walgreens the other day called Slik Stik, that seems to be the same thing as Body Glide. Aparantly Band-Aid now has a similar product, which I also found there, for almost twice the price! The Band-Aid version was about $7, and this stuff was like $3.50. It was over in the foot care section, not with the band aids.

Slik Stik (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100248&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod3200510)

Anyone else ever try this product? I would think it would work at least as well as the deodorant trick!

lordhavemercy
07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
:angel: ...the stick deodorants work great against chafing/rubbing.
* :love: But, for the feet to help guard against pressure blisters etc while still in the parks...I always carry some pre-cut moleskins in my body bag. I cut some long, some short, some wide, some round...So that whatever the part of our feet that "feels" like it's getting ready to blister...we're ready for it...BEFORE the blister happens. Can't tell you how much those have helped. Now they even have generic moleskins...but, we still buy the name brands. I think the padding and the adhesive is of a better quality....IMO.
*::yes:: Also...another essential....lip moisturizer....@ home, we've got'em in every room of the house.
*:tongue: And, depending on the time of year you'll be travelling to DW....a cornstarch based body powder is a huge help with the humidity.
*;) foundation-wise...it depends on your preference...we know now, that the skin is actually better off with something on it, than not...moisturizer, foundation...whatever..will shield it from varying environmental factors that could have damaging effects.
....if you like a lighter foundation...or no foundation...look for a moisturizer with a bit of tint to it. These usually include some spf to help protect your skin against the sun's damaging rays. If you prefer a little more coverage...try setting the moisturizer with a bit of loose mineral powder. These are lovely....and non-clogging...actually good for your skin.
* :cheer2: I don't know about you...but some of us have areas of our heads that can burn...like around our parts....and our ears....so it doesn't hurt to use a non-oily spf spray up there....or around the ears. I can't tell you...how many of my clients over the years...golfers/gardeners...or just outdoor enthusiasts have had skin cancers removed from the tops of their ears...or inside the folds of their ears....just because they never thought to apply tanning lotion there.....
.....i know this is a bit wordy..:scared: ..but, i thought it went along with the theme....:love:

JulielovesDisney
07-08-2007, 11:33 AM
To prevent "Chub Rub", simple baby powder works great for me! Just rub some on after your shower in the morning or before you head out into the parks.

Kate70410
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon next week and I bought a new backpack for me to carry in the parks. Backpacks for me are difficult because I am :ahem: well endowed in the chest department so when this one came in the mail, I was thrilled. It's just the right size and it fits me like a glove. It is a Dakine Portal and it comes with straps that expand really far out and also has a small lunchbox size cooler in the front to carry water and everything you need to keep cold. I ordered it from www.bagking.com. They have a bunch of different types, even ones made exclusively for women. I recommend it highly

poohbearwithme
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Pay an extra 10% on your utility bills for ten months to year before your trip. If you do this then you can skip the utility bills the month of your vacation and have that extra money for the trip. Example: Water bill averages $60.00 per month: Pay $66.00 for twelve months $6 x 12 month = $72 credit the month of your trip. No water bill that month.

StarDrifter
07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]:
* :love: But, for the feet to help guard against pressure blisters etc while still in the parks...I always carry some pre-cut moleskins in my body bag. I cut some long, some short, some wide, some round...So that whatever the part of our feet that "feels" like it's getting ready to blister...we're ready for it...BEFORE the blister happens. Can't tell you how much those have helped. Now they even have generic moleskins...but, we still buy the name brands. I think the padding and the adhesive is of a better quality....IMO.

* :cheer2: I don't know about you...but some of us have areas of our heads that can burn...like around our parts....and our ears....so it doesn't hurt to use a non-oily spf spray up there....or around the ears. I can't tell you...how many of my clients over the years...golfers/gardeners...or just outdoor enthusiasts have had skin cancers removed from the tops of their ears...or inside the folds of their ears....just because they never thought to apply tanning lotion there.....
.....i know this is a bit wordy..:scared: ..but, i thought it went along with the theme....:love:

lord have mercy is so right!!! Ive had problems with getting blisters on my ankles when I go on vacation and the moleskins are a lifesaver! Ive used them for years! It helps so much, if you have a blister, it really helps with the pain as well. They are excellent. Definetly a must.

and definetly pay attention to your ears and your hair part! I have been sunburned on my part more times then I can count, and im more careful now. I always sunscreen my ears too. Make sure to get behind your ears and on the back of your neck too, its very easy to sunburn there with the sun beating down on you all day.

Everyone should pay attention and make sure to apply sunscreen on exposed skin, it can really damage you if your not careful. I went on vacation in wyoming when I was little and went horseback riding. I got sunburned so badly on my shoulders that my skin has never been the same since. They go pink within ten minutes of being outside, and I have to be very careful not to get sunburned there because the skin is so sensitive.

StarDrifter
07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
That sounds absolutely adorable! Do you have any pics of it? :thumbsup2

oh my gosh I just did my hair like this yesterday!!! Next time I do I will make sure to take a picture. It is really cute and so easy :D

pooksma
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
This always happens to me. Any brand in particular for the hair part?

lordhavemercy
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
....there's so many out now. anything that's non-oily will work. there's some out there for thinning hair even.(like for my DH:eeyore: I don't know if they still have it...but, a couple of years ago....Avon even had something out... There are some that are non-aerosol and aerosol also. I guess it's you're personal preference. But, just make sure it's not oily....for your hair....that would be a little icky....:scared: .......:lmao:

hiddenj
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I wear a pair of men's boxer briefs under a skirt to keep my thighs from rubbing. It was a suggestion from my SIL and it works great!

Bambi Sunshine
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
wash your hair in the morning and tie it back without drying it as your wet hair will help keep you a little bit cooler

dizzi
07-09-2007, 09:00 AM
wash your hair in the morning and tie it back without drying it as your wet hair will help keep you a little bit cooler

I wish this would work for me. I have little to no hair and my hair would eb dry ebfore we eevn got to the park.

poohbearwithme
07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I leave in the deep south so the humity fight is an uphill battle. I have found something that works pretty good with the frizz. It's called Garnier Fructis Soft Curl Cream. I have thick curly hair with lots of frizz. This seems to tame it really pretty good. It also helps it stay in the pony tail. It's not very heavy so it does not weigh the hair down.

ktturner
07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I know a lot of women swear by BodyGlide for legs rubbing together with shorts or skirts but any stick deoderant will help. I prefer the male version of Mennen Speedstick as it seems to work the best. This prevents any leg rubbing rash and the very embarrassing shorts riding up and getting caught problem....:eek:

Does the mennen work better than the body glide? I'm heading to the store tomorrow for this stuff!:confused: :confused:

princess@heart
07-09-2007, 08:23 PM
oh my gosh I just did my hair like this yesterday!!! Next time I do I will make sure to take a picture. It is really cute and so easy :D

Awesome! Thanks!!! :thumbsup2

winniethepoohsmom
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I have a pair of black nylon shorts I wear over my bathing suit on days we go to the water parks, I like a little more coverage when walking around. I also like to wear them around that time of the month with bloating and such, and they dry quickly. I was also thinking about carrying a travel size deod. in my bag in the park to reapply and I would also have it if I had any chubb rub or hot spots on my feet. Linda

SamSam
07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I have worn knee length jean and/or khaki skirts while at WDW several times and have found them to be much cooler than shorts or capris. Personally, I've never had a problem with chafing, but I would think that a little powder might help if it's a problem.

BeNJeNWaFFLe
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Here is a very important tip that is for everyone, not just ladies.
-Sunblock. Please...don't forget some of these important areas. The back of your knees. The tops of your feet. The back of your hands. Your ears, all of them. And...your hair line! I have been through the torture before and I don't recommend it for anyone. Also, use a lipgloss/chapstick with spf. Burnt lips also hurt.

-I have a hair sunblock at home that I bought a few years ago. Its a gel and has a tiny bit of hold, which is nice. It helps to protect your scalp and hair from the sun. I believe it was made by Redken. If anyone wants, when I get home I can find out the name of it.

-If you are going to wear makeup, be careful bringing it into the parks. Most makeup spoils in the heat.
(I have never actually worn makeup to the parks. I might this trip because I am so fair skinned I am washed out in all the pictures. So I might put on a little mascara and blush to help. I'll let you know how it goes.)

-My hair is a wavy, frizzy mess. Last trip I showered at night and did my hair in two french braided pigtails. When I woke up I was able to take them out and have slightly neater hair. (Throw into a cute pony tail or up in a jaw clip.) Or, I left the braids in for the day.

-To help tame frizz I use the Biosilk hair serum. It's not greasy, it smells great, and you can use it on your body too! My hair is pretty long and all I need is a dab the size of a nickle.

dameodie
07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I hear ya about the hair... I'm going to have to remember to use that trick... on my FIANCEE!! :lmao: He has longer hair than I do, and it's super curly!! He's let me braid it at night after a shower before, and it does help. :thumbsup2

Moma2
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, I'll go ahead and say it: When it's 'that time of the month', the Always pads with the wipe attached are great when your out and about. If you use tampons then keep some baby wipes with you in your bag. Keep a spare pair of panties in a baggie just in case. Bring Motrin or Pamprin with you to the parks and keep hydrated. Coffee/Coke really helps a PMS headache.

Jen72386
07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
-I have a hair sunblock at home that I bought a few years ago. Its a gel and has a tiny bit of hold, which is nice. It helps to protect your scalp and hair from the sun. I believe it was made by Redken. If anyone wants, when I get home I can find out the name of it.

i would like to know the name of this product please!!

-To help tame frizz I use the Biosilk hair serum. It's not greasy, it smells great, and you can use it on your body too! My hair is pretty long and all I need is a dab the size of a nickle.

while i know what biosilk is...put it on your body? never heard of this.. what does this do for ya?

gottaluvpooh
07-11-2007, 01:52 PM
bump

eleventhletter
07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all these great tips.
I can say with the curly hair and humidity using anti-frizz products layered helps. I use a anti-fizz infusiom conditioner, anti-fizz/curly gel, scrunch spray, and then a curly hair hairspray and I last all day.
I'm going to start the days with my hair down and carry a hat and scrunchy for later if my hair is driving me crazy.

BeNJeNWaFFLe
07-11-2007, 02:08 PM
i would like to know the name of this product please!!I got it a few years ago, so you may have to google it . It is from Redken under their Sun Shape line. The name is Moisterizing Sun Jelly. It's in a pale yellow tube with an orange cap.

while i know what biosilk is...put it on your body? never heard of this.. what does this do for ya?The biosilk hair smoothing serum can be used on the body also. I don't because that stuff is expensive, but it could be used like a lotion if you wanted. It doesn't leave you feeling greasy. So after I put it in my hair I rub whatever is left into my hands.

simba&grumpy
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I always use Dr Scholl's Peppermint leg cream. I go back to the room for a midday break, wash and apply and do the same at night. It feels sooooooooooo good. It's like a massage for your legs. I've never had tired legs since I started using.

where did you get this leg cream, i have looked everywhere for it. please let me know. thanks

foreverprincess
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a small California Innovations tote bag cooler. I plan to put a little ziplock of ice - or use one of those small blueice things if you have a fridge in your room - and I will carry my make-up for evening, a washcloth for freshing up, an extra bandana type neck cooler, and my refillable cup in it. It is small and lightweight so I will carry it like a purse in addition to my daybag. I may store it in a shaded area locker until needed. I like to have a drink in my refillable cup while waiting on the bus and then have it with me to refill on my way to my room at night - saves a little walking.

aubriee
07-13-2007, 05:54 AM
where did you get this leg cream, i have looked everywhere for it. please let me know. thanks

Wal Mart sells it-- back with the foot stuff, i.e. mole skin, gel insoles, athlete foot and fungus stuff.

Jaffra makes one I like better. They have the peppermint foot soak, peppermint leg mask, and peppermint lotion that all matches. I have a little blow up foot bath that I got several years ago from Avon, that I take to WDW every trip. I like to put a little of the Jaffra peppermint foot soak in it, add some really hot water, soak my feet until the water cools, then apply the peppermint leg mask to my feet and calves, lie back with them covered with a towel for a few minutes, rinse off, then apply the Jaffra peppermint foot cream. Makes your feet feel wonderful, even though the foot mask does get really cold.

In addition to the Body Glide antichafing stick, Body Glide also makes a pain relieving stick that is wonderful for sore backs and feet. It looks just like the Body Glide antichafing stick though, except it has a red cap instead of a gray one. I carry both, but am always afraid I'm going to get the two mixed up and apply the one for sore muscles to areas I mean to apply the antichafing one to. I have a feeling that would not be pleasant.

duffy
07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed to recommend a company, but here goes:

Because of the rules about liquids in your carry-on luggage on planes, I recommend taking shampoos from Lush! (http://www.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb)

They make excellent solid shampoos, which cost around $9 for a round bar. The bars last for ages and ages, and you just swipe them on your head. (if you buy 2 shampoo bars, you get a free tin to store one!) They make 2 varieties with conditioner right in the bar, so you don't need to buy separate conditioner, but of course, they sell separate conditioner too, including a solid conditioner.

I always take Lush hair products when travelling, it's so easy to just toss a tin with my shampoo into a bag and not have to worry about leakage!

Lush's big selling point is that the products are all hand-made, cruelty-free, and FRESH!!

Pooh_Bear_92
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
People who talk about wearing a skirt!

I wouldn't i found with the heat my legs rubbed so much an it was uncomftorble! stick to shorts they're really cute! and save your legs the rubbing!

StarDrifter
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
:rotfl: I cant wear skirts! I feel like at any time they will just blow up and everyone will see my rainbow mickey understuff! HAHA!!

I think shorts are a better perosnal option for me. I used to feel really uncomfortable in short shorts, then I discovered SELF TANNER. I never realized my insecurity was from how pale I was. (were talking snow pale!). When I wore tanner for the first time not so long ago I was amazed at how good it looked, I wanted to wear shorts! :lmao:

I definetly reccomend self tanner. No skin cancer and it looks good! Try neutrogena lotion gradual tanner, after three days you look really fabulous!

Michellynn
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I will second the suggestion about wearing skorts as opposed to skirts. I wear skorts almost exclusively all summer. They are actually more comfortable for me than shorts now. I even walk on our local walking trails everyday for excercise wearing a skort. The key is to buy a skort that is made out of twill, canvas, denim, or similar type of material that has the skirt portion AND the shorts portion made out of the same material. Don't get the ones that have a different cheaper material underneath the skirt portion...if you do, the short portion will just ride up (very uncomfortable!). Also, the stretchy cotton skorts are cute for around the house, but not very comfortable in the long if you are very active (they ride up a lot easier...both skirt portion and short portion)

I have bought a lot of skorts from women's golf apparel stores. The golf skorts are really adorable, but they can be a little pricey. However, this summer...skorts really caught on with more mainstream brands. Dockers has a lot of different kinds of skorts available (Kohls.com carries them). JcPenny had some nice twill and denim ones this year as well.

Michellynn
07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Best anti-humidity hairspray I have found is actually Nick Chavez Plump 'N' Thick hairspray. It REALLY holds a 'do. BUT, the tradeoff is that your hair will be pretty stiff (it won't look like it...but it will feel like it when you touch it...although, easy to comb through). So, you have to go easy on the trigger finger. A step down from that, still good with humidity, but less stiff....is Nick Chavez Amazon Hair spray. And one level below that, which is my every day spray is Sebastian Shaper Plus hairspray.

cnids00
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
At WDW I am the skort person for sure, at home I'm a shorts or skirt person, on previous trips I have worn only skorts, have several with me and just stick to one or two and wash them at night. Yeah looks great fun in pictures...two skorts and different tops in all of them :rotfl:

As for makeup..none what so ever..it's sunlotion only :-)

Hedy
07-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I swear by the monistant gel for thigh rubbing.
Ladies, please remember to take your pill on time-if need be.

reservations4five
07-28-2007, 12:13 PM
ok my personal travel ideas are...

I ALWAYS over pack on the "cute clothes" and not enough on the comfy side so I am trying to get better by packing then right before I leave go through all our suitcases and reevaluate but not adding to but taking away.

I make my own wipe and pad combos and have for years because I am a super heavy period haver (TMI I know) just pack your favorite pad or tampon and a wipe of choice in a baggie, the dollar store here has the flush-able wipes for kids and these have worked well for me in the past. Also remember to take the time to go to the bathroom- sounds dumb but I know that I am guilty of not making enough pit stops until it was absolutely necessary. :scared:
Also make it a point to eat some yougurt- helps with the natural bacteria count in your body to help with yeast.
Make-up is out the window when I am on vacation- I wear 30+ on my face ( I can remember the days when I would have died before putting sun screen on ;) I do wear everyday minerals in everyday life and like it a lot.

my hair is short and nat. curly- there is no hope - :rotfl2: I just pull my sides back out of my face with a little claw clip and keep going.

I really like the new Secret clinical strength for these hot and humid days. I perspire like any normal person but I would rather be cautious when out with a big crowd of people. (I wonder how this would work for those areas that rub? hmmmm:idea: )

I love seeing your all's ideas...

winniethepoohsmom
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do for those red bump you get in certain places after shaving? How many bras's do you pack? I'm not used to going to FL. in the summer so I'm thinking I'll need a bra a day, or maybe 2, I'd hate to go back soaking wet get changed for a swim and put that sweaty bra back on for the evening, with clean clothes. I figure I'll be washing them out in the sink every night and giving them overnight to dry. :) Linda

bekkiz
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Because of the rules about liquids in your carry-on luggage on planes, I recommend taking shampoos from Lush! (http://www.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb)

They make excellent solid shampoos, which cost around $9 for a round bar. The bars last for ages and ages, and you just swipe them on your head. (if you buy 2 shampoo bars, you get a free tin to store one!) They make 2 varieties with conditioner right in the bar, so you don't need to buy separate conditioner, but of course, they sell separate conditioner too, including a solid conditioner.

I always take Lush hair products when travelling, it's so easy to just toss a tin with my shampoo into a bag and not have to worry about leakage!

Lush's big selling point is that the products are all hand-made, cruelty-free, and FRESH!!

I love the Lush stuff! But also, there's a store at Downtown Disney called Basin and they also sell the solid shampoo bars--they're wonderful as well!

Basin also has fantastic "After Sun" body butter. It makes your skin feel so good after a little too much sun and chlorine :)

irky416
07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do for those red bump you get in certain places after shaving?

Try Bikini Zone. www.bikinizone.com

englishteacha
07-28-2007, 09:16 PM
My "must haves":
Powder
body glide
sunblock for hyper-sensitive skin. I came home from FL last year as pale as I was when I left Maine! I've already had one mole removed...I'm not taking ANY chances!
hat (though I look horrible in them, I don't want to burn my head)
Comfy shorts!!
Little first aid kit with tylenol, needle and thread, bandaids, etc.

A new find: liquid baby powder. I found it at Dollar Tree and used it when I wore skirts this spring. Worked well, no mess, and cheaper than body glide. I don't know how it will hold up in the heat of Florida, though.

Lots of bras! As a PP mentioned, you don't want to put a sweaty one back on after changing. I'll be washing my bras out in the sink, too!

DisneyMom14
07-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Just adding to the previous poster: LOVE the bikini zone!:thumbsup2

kabbie
07-29-2007, 06:22 AM
While touring WDW, I also throw one of these Evian sprays in my bag to help cool off when it's hot & humid in Florida. It's very refreshing and a good boost to your skin.

You can get it at drugstore.com and Ulta. Maybe some drugstores too, but haven't looked for them there.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/48174/300.jpg

Rustysmom
07-29-2007, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=BeNJeNWaFFLe;19654445
-I have a hair sunblock at home that I bought a few years ago. Its a gel and has a tiny bit of hold, which is nice. It helps to protect your scalp and hair from the sun. I believe it was made by Redken. [/QUOTE]

Redken also makes a spray for your hair which has SPF 12 for the scalp and helps protect your hair from the sun. It's called UV Rescue Hair Milk. I got it a couple of years ago in the Allure box I order every year.

DisneyClay
07-29-2007, 09:14 AM
One year my peroid came when I was in disney world, I could not work the tampon machine. One woman yelled you have to put the quarters in together and turn the knob. Well this was no help to me,so then there was finally this nice woman who came and helped me. The whole time all I could say was you have got to be kidding me.

I do not wear make up, but I went one year and got sun burn on my scalp. That hurt like heck.

DisneyClay
07-29-2007, 09:17 AM
My "must haves":
Lots of bras! As a PP mentioned, you don't want to put a sweaty one back on after changing. I'll be washing my bras out in the sink, too!

OOOOOO This is a good one. I will have to remember that. So very true.

TKDisneylover
07-29-2007, 09:46 AM
makeup / skincare / tanning?
Makeup: I only use a face powder instead of a liquid foundation for hot weather (Clinique has a great one called Superpowder Double Face Makeup that I think works great for me). And waterproof mascara & eyeliner to prevent smudging that occurs from sweating/water rides.:thumbsup2 Skincare: I always wash my face in the a.m. & p.m. with a mild face soap, then toner & "light" moisturizer.

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?
Clothing: I always wear light cotton capris. I've never had a chaffing problem wearing them & they don't "rideup" (I am a plus size gal). And tank tops & t-shirts are the norm. Shoes: I've always worn New Balance tennis shoes with a cotton/polyester blend sock. In my previous visits to WDW I have never gotten a blister. (I tried Crocs, and they hurt my feet, I guess they are not for me.:sad1:

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?
As previous posters have said I do bring moleskin just in case. Also, bandaids, sunblock, ibuprofen for a sore back from walking all day, Curell antibacterial hand wash because we are touching a lot of things other people are too.;)

How do you manage your hair? ( that florida humidity and heat is so unforgiving! Speaking of...)
I have naturally wavy/curly hair so I tend to use a product that carries a line specifically for that type of hair. My favorite is Redken (as previously mentioned), I use the entire "Fresh Curls" line. Shampoo, Conditioner, styling lotion (very sparingly), then blow dry upside down or with a diffuser. Once it's dry I complete with the "Curl Boost" which helps keep a cute curl/wave and then finish with a firm hairspray. And ladies with straight hair, I've seen some women put their hair in ponytails & add a tiara, it's so cute! (just my opinion):confused3

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?
Drink lots of water and try to stay away from caffeinated soda, it dehydrates you.:drinking1 When your body is properly hydrated you can tolerate the heat much better. Try to visit attractions that have air conditioning intermittently throughout your day.

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?
Tampons & a pad together will be most convenient(during heavy times). And as previous posters have said, bring along wipes to help keep you feeling fresh!:thumbsup2

How do you deal with the men folk / children / even other women!
Your in Walt Disney World, "the happiest place on earth"!:woohoo: Don't sweat the small stuff, remember your on vacation, enjoy it & feel the magicpixiedust: ! Take those afternoon breaks whether you have kids or not, we all need a rest. And that pool back at your resort is soooo refreshing.

How do you plan for your trip?
I spend tons of time on the Dis, need I say more?:surfweb:

How do you save money on your vacation?
We only stay in a level of resort we can afford. We also save up our food & souvenier money ahead of time so we don't come home with an outstanding balance on our credit card. Oh yea, the Disney Visa Card really helps save money by earning Disney dollars (we will have enough to purchase a 7-day park hopper pass this year!:banana: )

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?
We try to take advantage of EMH's, and get lots of tips from fellow Dis'ers on park strategies here on the boards. Use FASTPASS, it allows you to enjoy more attractions in a shorter amount of time.

your strategies for the bus lines and transportation?
We always use Disney transportation. The biggest tip is to allow plenty of time to get from point A to point B. Enough said.

what resorts do you choose and why?
We always like to try someplace new and in the price range we can afford for the time we plan the trip for.

why do you take your magical vacation?
Because we love WDW!!:love: It lets us forget about the real world for a while and makes us feel like kids again!:yay:

I hope these tips help out, and I hope everyone has a magical time at Disney!!:wizard:

Rustysmom
07-29-2007, 10:30 AM
About that time of the month, I love my Diva Cup! I don't always wear it because sometimes it's a pain to get in, but I always wear it when I go somewhere and great if you want to go swimming.

I'm really really hoping that I don't have to worry about it this trip. Aunt Flo is here now so if I'm lucky, the old hag will come again right before we head to WDW next month. I told my DH that he better hope she's early because I get really cranky anyway and if you add in the heat and humidity and lines down there, well, then he won't want to be around me.:lmao:

garnet1240
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Clothing: I always wear light cotton capris.

I love light cotton capris, BUT, I've had a hard time this year finding any. Can I ask where/if you have found any this year? :)

Thanks!!

winniethepoohsmom
07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I almost hate to ask but what is a diva cup?

TKDisneylover
07-29-2007, 01:41 PM
I love light cotton capris, BUT, I've had a hard time this year finding any. Can I ask where/if you have found any this year? :) Thanks!!

I purchased mine at Kohl's Department Store. They are available online also at kohls.com if you don't have a Kohl's in your area. The brand name is Erika.

DarthKTrava
07-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do for those red bump you get in certain places after shaving? How many bras's do you pack? I'm not used to going to FL. in the summer so I'm thinking I'll need a bra a day, or maybe 2, I'd hate to go back soaking wet get changed for a swim and put that sweaty bra back on for the evening, with clean clothes. I figure I'll be washing them out in the sink every night and giving them overnight to dry. :) Linda

I take 2 bras along on vacation. Never know when you'll have a "bra malfunction"....

I take along Advil and Tylenol for pain.

If I have to deal with my period, then I take along pads for that....

I don't have to deal with hair frizz as mine's straight and then I have it cut short.

I wear shorts while on vacation and don't really have to deal with chafing. I have that more of a prob with my work uniform pants.

Disney's the only place where I don't worry about the sun... it's the only time I get a tan all year long... I don't burn easily as I have a darker complexion (being part hispanic and indian, mixed with caucasian helps!)

I take along baby powder to apply under the ****s and also in that "roll of fat" under the stomach (those of us plus size gals know all about that! :wink:) so they won't sweat and smell.

I third the query about the "diva cup".

Julianna07
07-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Diva Cup. I wasn't sure either, but I googled it
www dot divacup dot com

It's an alternative to pads and tampons that is a "cup" you insert that fills during your cycle and you remove 2-4 times a day wash with soap and water and reinsert. The site has a lot more information about the cup obviously.

I think I may have to look into it. Beats having to spend the extra money every month for "supplies"

DarthKTrava
07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Not to mention the inconvenience.... which is, IMO, the worst part of the period.

WDW Poly Princess
07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
About that time of the month, I love my Diva Cup! I don't always wear it because sometimes it's a pain to get in, but I always wear it when I go somewhere and great if you want to go swimming.

I've gotta second that! Best invention ever!

I also want to second the Lush shampoo/conditioner recommendation! I save the last pieces of solid shampoos to take on vacation- that way, there's nothing to bring back home! (Plus, a little chunk of shampoo takes up WAY less space than a bottle!) Lush even has a store at MCO!

I've been thinking of trying that "Model in a bottle" stuff that's supposed to set your makeup so that it stays on all day- has anyone else tried it? A model friend also recommended "Make Up Forever" foundation, saying it stayed on great under hot runway lights- I'm wondering if it would be good for WDW, too? At a place where I'm taking hundreds of photos a day, it would be nice to look good!

DisneyBride'03
07-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I find it easy to ponytail the hair....one of my basball caps (disney,other travel destinations...really not BB!! lol) this protects from the sun as well! Nothing fun abt a sunburn on your scalp, been there dont that.
Then fun in the pool and dont have to worry abt it getting wet....perhaps some product in it for later in the evening.

I use a tinted moisturizer for face with a spf....lipbalm for shine and protection..and mascara.
Teva sandals....have DH carry the packback and I just got a new Coach Swingpack for essentails:)

KathyRN137
07-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Great idea for a thread! :thumbsup2

Well, since we're all getting real here, I'd like to share that I will never go to WDW without packing some Colace (stool softener) in my little first aid kit.

I don't know whether it's the "vacation food", the excitement, a little dehydration, or what, but it seems that I always wind up getting somewhat constipated when I'm at WDW! :confused3 I hate that bloated feeling! Yuck!

Some guy on another thread found that the same thing always happened to him and he joked that he thought Disney put something in the food so that you'd spend less time in the bathroom and more time in the gift shops! :rotfl:

This year I think that I will pack a hair dryer, even though the resort has them. I normally use an ionizing hair dryer at home and when I use the driers at Disney, my hair frizzes up no matter what the time of year!

As far as makeup, I just go very minimalistic...mascara and blusher; usually just lip balm, not lipstick, in the parks. We don't go during the summer months, so moisturizer with SPF 15 usually does the trick for me.

I prefer the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel to the Body Glide because it has a nice, powder-dry feel to it after it's applied.

Everyone says 100% cotton underwear/bras "breathe", but in reality, once they get damp they stay damp. Cotton/poly blends are actuallly better for wicking away moisture. I like to use sports or "technical" underwear/bras at WDW. (Just get light-support sport bras...not the kind that hold you in a vise!)

I'll be checking back regularly; I've read some great tips here!

Kathy

reservations4five
07-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Great idea for a thread! :thumbsup2

Well, since we're all getting real here, I'd like to share that I will never go to WDW without packing some Colace (stool softener) in my little first aid kit.

Kathy

the colace must be a nurse thing :thumbsup2 I too never vaction without it now, best decision I have ever made in the last 5 vacations, I also pack my medicines like

childrens tylenol/motrin (helps with achy little ones at bedtime from all the walking and exercise they get)
imodium
tylenol and IBP for the adults
benedryl (allergies from mold or if you are like me I have a hard time sleeping on vacation also)
neosporin- not only good for cuts but I also use it on my girls (ages 5) for red bottoms from being in a wet suit all the time. helps cut down on UTI's for them they are super susceptible in the summer time.
Midol or PMS meds if I am anywhere close to having my period.

thats all I can think of right at the moment

corgi_monster
07-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Diva Cup. I wasn't sure either, but I googled it
www dot divacup dot com

It's an alternative to pads and tampons that is a "cup" you insert that fills during your cycle and you remove 2-4 times a day wash with soap and water and reinsert. The site has a lot more information about the cup obviously.

I wonder if there are every any "spillage" or um, overflow problems?:blush: :blush: Just curious!

Rustysmom
07-30-2007, 07:59 AM
I wonder if there are every any "spillage" or um, overflow problems?:blush: :blush: Just curious!

I've never had any. Your period looks like a lot of blood and stuff when it's on a pad, but actually it isn't. TMI ahead---I had the Diva cup in for about 6 hours yesterday and when I took it out, it was only half full, and that was a heavy day for me. I've gone 8 hours before taking it out and it still wasn't full.

The only spillage problems there might be is if you want to change it in a public bathroom, which can be a little tricky because you're not right by the sink to wash it out and wash your hands. A good idea is to bring a bottle of water in with you to rinse it off.

RoseNJ
07-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I also use that Monistat anti-chafing ointment on my inner thighs when I wear a skirt. It is a great preventative in humid weather to keep moist thighs from chafing. I also bring for my guys a tube of balmex diaper rash ointment. My DH and DS (now 10) don't have chafing problems, except when we go to WDW. A little bit of ointment on inner thighs or other areas that men have that can chafe that women don't keeps everyone happy on vacation.;) ;)

writersblock42
07-30-2007, 01:01 PM
My legs get hotter in skirts because my legs rub together creating heat and friction (I have fairly thin legs too). So I just wear shorts but not jean shorts.
I won't be getting my period this year as I am pregnant but in the past, I used tampons and wipes. They make special hygiene wipes for women.
I have long thick curly/frizzy hair. I don't worry about how frizzy it gets but I do have a hair style that works well for me. I pull it back as if I am going to do a pony tail, then I flip the hair up and fold it in half and wrap the hair tye on it.

kabbie
07-30-2007, 01:59 PM
I've never heard of diva cup before, but checked the website out and I may have to purchase one. There are about $35 which I guess is about how much I spend on pads/tampons over a few months. Learn alot on the DIS.

I definitely am a capri girl. I have problems with shorts because they ride up and I have to pull them down constantly. Does anyone else have that problem?

fivefordisney
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
:cheer2: This is a great thread! Thanks!

Last year I bought mascara called "Kiss Me" that instead of painting your lashes, "tubes" them. It is pretty cool. The mascara forms little tubes around each lash that do not come off until you wash and apply gentle pressure and pull them off. It is really waterproof--no raccoon eyes! I can't wait to use it in Disney this August. It really doesn't make your lashes this though. That's the only downside.

Princess SarahK
07-30-2007, 05:41 PM
fivefordisney: if you dont mind, where did you get the kiss me mascara?? it sounds like it works great.

i have blonde, eyelashes so anything that lasts a long time and doesnt come off easily would be great! im open to any suggestions!! thanks yall!:cutie:

fivefordisney
07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
fivefordisney: if you dont mind, where did you get the kiss me mascara?? it sounds like it works great.

i have blonde, eyelashes so anything that lasts a long time and doesnt come off easily would be great! im open to any suggestions!! thanks yall!:cutie:

Believe it or not, I heard about this mascara on the DIS! I found it on ebay (where it was cheaper,) but you can get it from amazon, drugstore.com, or even their website: http://www.blincinc.com/us/kiss_me_mascara.php .
It's more expensive on their official website, but they do a great job of showing off the product!

Good luck!

Oh, and I mentioned soap during my last post. Actually you just need water and gentle pressure to pull off the "tubes."

winniethepoohsmom
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm taking an icepack with me on this trip, I tend to get migraines and if I take advil and lay down with the ice pack on the lower back of my head they usually go away and then I can refreeze if needed again. Linda

aubriee
07-31-2007, 01:52 AM

I was able to get a travel size Kiss Me mascara on Ebay. It was a perfect size, taking up almost no room in my makeup bag.

I like Bare Escentuals mineral makeup. I'm a firm believer in body glide, but Avon also makes an antiblister balm that is good.

disneykid4ever
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone else have any more tips? I am lovin' all this info!!

cookies
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I just bought a Diva Cup, thanks for the tip.

Hannahsmom
08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
If you don't want to commit to the Diva cup, there is a disposable product called Instead, which is basically the same thing. The difference is you throw the cup out when you have used it instead of washing and reusing. I love this product. It is great when you have to use public bathrooms, you don't have to bother with the hassle of changing tampons/pads/wipes. These are useable up to 12 hours.

As far as skorts are concerned, I have been wearing the athletic scooter skorts this summer and I think I'm in love:love: . I am actually looking forward to wearing these on vacation next month. I have a few that are made of a wicking material, and a few that are terry cloth. The are so comfortable.

zuzu310
08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
For all you ladies out there who are scared Aunt Flo might start...If you are on birth control just skip the placebo pills and begin taking a new pack. I have done this for years with no problems. Because I have endometriosis it is actually doctor's orders to do this now but I have been doing it for about 5 years before I was diagnosed.

As for the part in my hair getting suburned, I just use a touch of whatever sunscreen I have on hand and very lightly apply it to the area. I have super thin hair so if it works for me it will definitely work for those who have thicker locks. Speaking of which, a lot has been said on here about curly hair but those of us with baby fine hair suffer too. That humidity really kills whatever small amount of volume you can manage to put in with products in the morning. I have straight fiine hair so if I leave my hair down, I end up looking like a drowned rat. I would love to hear if any ladies with fine hair have tips on how they style it. I ususally french braid mine into pigtails or pull it up with a jaw clip.

Body Glide is wonderful!!! I use it on my feet with my sandals because I can't stand to wear tennis shoes in the parks. I recently went on an all day outing to the zoo with it on my feet. I had absolutely no blisters. :love:

Spary sunscreen is the absolute best and gradual tanning lotions work wonders for those of us who look like Casper the ghost.

mom2rb
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I just ordered the Kiss Me Mascara, thanks for the tip.

beccasmom
08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Great thread!!! I keep comfort in mind when traveling. I used to spend a lot of time worrying about what I wore, etc., but now I dress for comfort, worrying less about being in style. Besides, our airport (PHL) is notorious for late and delayed flights. :sad2: We could be waiting around for a long time!

I use mineral makeup and not a lot of that. I am a big fan of Philosophy's The Supernatural because it comes in an easy-to-use container and weighs next to nothing. Bare Minerals makes great mineral products, but I've spilled them on too many trips, so I only use them at home. I always wear SPF under my makeup (Oil of Olay Complete is great and inexpensive) and a little blush. I don't wear a lot of eye makeup - just a little shadow and mascara, especially if I'm going to a hot climate like WDW.

I have an old ankle injury from the 80's, so comfortable shoes are key. I can only wear flats, so that makes it a little easier! Keds usually fit the bill for me and they are now available in some really cute styles, so they can do double duty for going out at night.

I usually take minimal jewelry and only what I will be wearing every day - my rings, a watch, earrings and maybe a bracelet. That way I don't have to keep worrying about misplacing anything.

I use Airborne products to keep the "bugs" away. I know it is not a "proven" method of staying healthy, but it sure works for me. :thumbsup2 I take it every day in the winter and every other day in the summer, but every day when I am traveling no matter the season. I try to eat lightly when traveling and depend on bottled water since my stomach is sensitive to changes. I use the on-the-go Crystal Light or Propel packets to make the water "interesting" - I particularly like the pomegranate cherry flavor from Crystal Light. I make sure to take something to help me sleep - lately it has been melatonin, but Tylenol PM is also pretty good.

I am not the best packer, but am getting better since the rules have changed so drastically on the airlines. I try to buy smaller travel-size items when I see them on sale and stock up on plastic containers for shampoo, etc. I sometimes bring a carry-on, but usually opt for a tote-like handbag that will carry more items like a book, extra eye glasses, etc. I don't usually bring my laptop unless I have to work.

I always bring something to read to tide me over for long waits. I make sure to bring my iPod for relaxation. I received Bose noise-cancellation earphones for a birthday present this year and they are awesome for blocking out noise. Expensive, but fabulous. I always pack a light jacket or shawl-type covering for chills and a little bottle of water w/some lavender oil in it for the flashes! :rolleyes:

princessofcandles
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
WoW!!! Great info.

OK.... so I'm gonna break down my reply instead of trying to quote everyone.

1. Thanks for all the product info! I love finding new places to shop. Gonna check out skorts for the first time (cuz I too am a skirt girl). I was thinking about wearing a skirt/sundress to Epcot and AK cuz they don't look too ride intensive. But now I'm worried.

2. I love this boards! This is the first time I don't feel like a weirdo for my Keeper. The Keeper is like the Diva cup but supose to be more resistant. I put it to the test every month (TMI, I know) but its great. It does get some getting use to so don't get it right before a trip. Yes I have had some spillage but that is usually the first day or two when you're really flowing. And/or when your body "shifts" too suddenly. I don't know how to explain it but I've heard tampon people say the same thing so don't let that scare ya. On if-y days I wear black bottoms and panty liners to buy me some run to the bathroom time.

3. I love Philosophy's 3-in-1 shampoo/bodywash. I only pack one bottle and I only have one bottle in the shower. I do love lush but this way its one product.

4. I wear mascara, makeupforever waterproof eyeliner, and lip gloss. So in other words, no makeup. I will then carry my MAC blotting powder compact to freshen up after the sun's gone down.

5. I only take two bras. One light and one dark. I hate packing bras so I just wash nightly and switch off.

6. I have long and wavy hair. I don't fight nature, especially on vacation. I will wash my hair and put it in a braid. One or two depending on how I feel. Then I will twist it and pin it (bun one day, princess-leia style next, and so on) or tuck it into a snood (and before you ask www dot snoods dot com). Then at night or before dinner I got into a bathroom, take out the braids, add some product, and fluff. TaDA!!! super curly fluffy hair.

Now..... what I need info on is:
- Messanger bag or sling. But a cute girly one. I like the idea of a cooler pack in the backpack but I don't like backpacks. I also like the Coach sidebag but I haven't tried it. And I am a Coach girl.

- Shoes that are not ugly or uncomfortable. I usually wear heels everyday, no kidding. But, although I have some really comfortable heels I'll wear to the local zoo I don't think its a good idea for WDW.

DisneyPrncess
08-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Great thread!!! I keep comfort in mind when traveling. I used to spend a lot of time worrying about what I wore, etc., but now I dress for comfort, worrying less about being in style. Besides, our airport (PHL) is notorious for late and delayed flights. :sad2: We could be waiting around for a long time!

HAHHAHA too funnY! i hate our airport- always a delay, never on time! And even if we board on time in philly- theres usually a weight on the tarmac "attention USairways passengers, we are currently 28th in line for takeoff"

drives me nuts! glad someone else can join in my frustrations! I just hope we arent delayed for Disney!

fun4disney
08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a pair of black nylon shorts I wear over my bathing suit on days we go to the water parks, I like a little more coverage when walking around. I also like to wear them around that time of the month with bloating and such, and they dry quickly. I was also thinking about carrying a travel size deod. in my bag in the park to reapply and I would also have it if I had any chubb rub or hot spots on my feet. Linda

If you are going in the heat I wouldn't recommend this! In the heat it melts....How do I know this, experience!

PixieMama
08-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I, too, swear by Monistat's Chafing Relief Powder Gel... its great! I used to just use baby powder on my thighs but this stuff lasts longer!

winniethepoohsmom
08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I, too, swear by Monistat's Chafing Relief Powder Gel... its great! I used to just use baby powder on my thighs but this stuff lasts longer!

I was looking for this the other day in Walmart and could'nt find it, did I look in the right place I checked the with the area with womans pads & such and I checked the lotions and deods but did'nt see it. Linda :)

MapleGirl
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM

I agree. My legs tend to get irritated as well in warm weather. I bring a little bottle of baby powder with me for when that happens. I also tend to wear pants and a t-shirt with sandles. DH and I go in the winter, so it's never all that hot. :hug: I never wear shorts.... I just can't find any that are comfortable. They always seem to ride up when I walk. :confused3 Anyone have an suggestions on shorts that stay in place?

stepdisney
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I love this thread. Great ideas ladies. I am adding Evian spray to my list, I love this idea. Also, using stick for chaffing...who'd have thought?? I use powder because it handles both rubbing and excess moisture. I use Massingill (sp?) powder and wipes. A couple of things I haven't seen listed yet:

Pepto Bismol (especially for those of us with free dining) :eek:
Cranberry tablets (I almost always have a UT issue) :guilty:
Double days worth of undies...I never regret doing this. :cloud9:
Clothes pins (to line dry suits and bras) :thumbsup2
Sinus medicine/decongest. (nothing worse than a flight home with a stuffy head) :sad2:
Hydrocortizone cream pirate: pirate:

If your hair is chemically relaxed, braids are great. :cheer2: They protect your hair from the damage chlorine can have on relaxed and/or color treated hair. They are also early riser/rope drop friendly. :goodvibes

MapleGirl
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, I’m very lucky. I don’t need to bring a bag into the park because DH carries everything in his “Adventurer’s Vest” :cool1: (a vest from REI that has a million pockets). When we head out I load him up with the following:
• Sunglasses for both of us
• Diabetic supplies and candy for him
• Small digital camera
• Bandana
• ID and room key/tickets/credit card
• Baby powder
• Coppertone sport sunblock stick (SPF 30)
• Travel ponchos

:worship:I really want to try the other anti-chafing products people have suggested on this board! DH has trouble with chafing on his "Manly Parts" sometimes.:rolleyes1 Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

I also pack a few essentials for our hotel room:
• Travel sized bubble bath
• Travel candle (is this even allowed?)
• Room freshening spray
• Assorted medicines (IB Profen, Tums, Pepto Bismol, allergy stuff, etc...)
• :tink: My special sunblock that has sparkles in it (SO much fun!)
• My laptop for uploading the pictures every night

I love the idea of sunblock with a little tint in it. What brands are good? Love this thread!

LJD2143
08-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately, "my friend" is scheduled to arrive right in the middle of our Sept 07 trip to the World. Although I am not currently on the Pill, I just asked my OB/GYN for a 2 month supply. She said it is a very common request, and even had free samples to give me. All you have to do is skip the placebo pills, and even double up on the "active" pills if you have any breakthrough. :flower3:

EC0323
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=MapleGirl;20463568
• :tink: My special sunblock that has sparkles in it (SO much funQUOTE]

I want to 'sparkle' too! :) Can you tell me what you use?

By the way, this is a great thread! I have a bunch of stuff on list to buy! good thing this isn't on the budget board!;)

beccasmom
08-24-2007, 04:10 PM
HAHHAHA too funnY! i hate our airport- always a delay, never on time! And even if we board on time in philly- theres usually a weight on the tarmac "attention USairways passengers, we are currently 28th in line for takeoff"

drives me nuts! glad someone else can join in my frustrations! I just hope we arent delayed for Disney!

My DH and kids went to WDW in late June - mom had to work! :guilty: I dropped them off on my way to work (I work a mile from PHL) for their 11:15 a.m. flight, so they were early. Long story short - they finally ended up leaving for MCO at 3:40 p.m.! USAirways was cancelling flights like mad for no apparent reason. My gang ended up in first class - which they loved, of course! - but did not get to OKW until well after 8:00 p.m. that night. So, I dress for maximum comfort - I'm sure to be sitting around for ages in those crummy seats at the gate waiting, waiting, waiting while my precious vacation time ticks away! :mad: It really is a mess!

DisneyPrncess
08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
My DH and kids went to WDW in late June - mom had to work! :guilty: I dropped them off on my way to work (I work a mile from PHL) for their 11:15 a.m. flight, so they were early. Long story short - they finally ended up leaving for MCO at 3:40 p.m.! USAirways was cancelling flights like mad for no apparent reason. My gang ended up in first class - which they loved, of course! - but did not get to OKW until well after 8:00 p.m. that night. So, I dress for maximum comfort - I'm sure to be sitting around for ages in those crummy seats at the gate waiting, waiting, waiting while my precious vacation time ticks away! :mad: It really is a mess!

i mean being as big as it is- you think they would have figured it out by now? Figured out a way to make it work! It only makes angry customers haha. No one wants to be delayed for their vacation...and it makes me laugh how they tell u to get there two hours in advance- just so they can watch you sit for 5!! :lmao:

Smile4Me
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Sunscreen with sparkle?! Sign me up!

PixieMama
08-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I was looking for this the other day in Walmart and could'nt find it, did I look in the right place I checked the with the area with womans pads & such and I checked the lotions and deods but did'nt see it. Linda :)

My Wal-Mart has this stuff near the maxi pads and tampons... its actually in the asile where personal lubricants (like KY Jelly) and condoms are!!!! :rotfl:
Its near the pads and such, but not in the same aisle!

MapleGirl
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I want to 'sparkle' too! :) Can you tell me what you use?

Sure thing. It is Coppertone Kids Glitter Sunblock Lotion. It comes in a purple tube. I bought it a few years ago, but they probably still make it. :wizard:

By the way, does it matter if your sunblock expires?

MapleGirl
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Hurray! I just bought a new tiara from Target today. I can't wait to wear it in the Magic Kingdom then give it to some little girl the next day!! (I get to be a princess, she gets to be a princess, and I don't have to pack it when I leave... everyone wins! ;) )

PixieMama
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Sure thing. It is Coppertone Kids Glitter Sunblock Lotion. It comes in a purple tube. I bought it a few years ago, but they probably still make it. :wizard:

By the way, does it matter if your sunblock expires?

Check to see if your sunblock has an expiration date on it. Otherwise, I've heard it should be thrown out after a year. :beach:

Great tips so far! I love this site!! :disrocks:

winniethepoohsmom
08-24-2007, 10:14 PM
My Wal-Mart has this stuff near the maxi pads and tampons... its actually in the asile where personal lubricants (like KY Jelly) and condoms are!!!! :rotfl:

If I don't see it there maybe I will just pick up the KY jelly instead :rotfl2: Thanks for the response Linda

TKDisneylover
08-25-2007, 08:04 AM
It is Coppertone Kids Glitter Sunblock Lotion. It comes in a purple tube.

Thanks for the tip! Since we are all princess' we should be glittery, it will make us look like we've been sprinkled with pixie dust!:tinker:

Hurray! I just bought a new tiara from Target today. I can't wait to wear it in the Magic Kingdom then give it to some little girl the next day!! (I get to be a princess, she gets to be a princess, and I don't have to pack it when I leave... everyone wins! ;) )

This is such a totally sweet thing to do. Another great idea!

Michellynn
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I never wear shorts.... I just can't find any that are comfortable. They always seem to ride up when I walk. :confused3 Anyone have an suggestions on shorts that stay in place?

Try some of the longer bermuda shorts that are in style these days (the length hits right at the knees). I've worn a few pair this summer and have never once had a problem with them. I think the longer length gets you past that critical "zone" that allows other shorts to ride up.

Michellynn
08-27-2007, 07:53 AM

I actually picked up some this weekend at my Wal-Mart and it was with the feminine "cleansing" products (douches, feminine wipes, feminine deodorant powder, etc.). I think it just depends on how that particular Wal-Mart happens to stock it.

aubriee
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I actually picked up some this weekend at my Wal-Mart and it was with the feminine "cleansing" products (douches, feminine wipes, feminine deodorant powder, etc.). I think it just depends on how that particular Wal-Mart happens to stock it.

That's also where it's at in our Wal Marts. It's right next to the regular Monistat for yeast infections.

abeyst
10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
That's also where it's at in our Wal Marts. It's right next to the regular Monistat for yeast infections.

It's in the same place at the Target by me. (Found it by accident last month, as I was unfortunately shopping for 'other' Monistat products) :headache:

Fintastic
10-02-2007, 01:07 PM
How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!? :sad2: I'm on the Pill, so I can plan to skip AF if I need to. Instead of finishing the whole pack of pills and starting the next month's, I start next month's pack after week 3 of the previous pack. I skip AF altogether this way. :cool1:

MissMet
10-02-2007, 08:23 PM
My one tip for women going on vacation is on the expensive side but so worth it... laser hair removal! :cloud9: It works amazing & is worth every penny, especially if you're an Italian! :rolleyes: Thanks mom!

I just had my first treatment & was so impressed after the first treatment that I wanted to share it with everyone!

So if you were interested, it's definitely worth it! :thumbsup2

Gretchen
10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Bump for more great tips....
G

SilverMickey
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Great tips!:goodvibes

Here is mine:

I hated that my family (all boys) got to wear swim trunks and a tank to the parks... they dry really quick after a wet ride. SO... I went to walmart and picked out the girlyest mens swim trunks I could find. I went over to the womans section and picked solid tops to go with them (2 colors for each floral short) So I could change out of the wet top and bra into a dry set. The trunks dried really quick! I brought the slider 1 gallon zip lock bags to put the wet stuff in.

Now I know you can buy womans board shorts... but my man shorts didn't belong on a man:rotfl: and they were $7.99 each and womans board shorts started at 32.00 bucks all day long!:)

princessofcandles
10-04-2007, 10:46 PM

Now I know you can buy womans board shorts... but my man shorts didn't belong on a man:rotfl: and they were $7.99 each and womans board shorts started at 32.00 bucks all day long!:)

Isn't that just typical! Men's clothes at 25% of what women pay! Fumes:mad:

TotalSnowWhite
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Just subscribing!! I have crazy curls, so I love the hair ideas!!

dbarker
10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
We go in the summer (ie HOT). I made a couple of very simple A-line type dresses. They hit just below my knee. I wear bicycle shorts under these. They are so cool.

madcam
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm really really hoping that I don't have to worry about it this trip. Aunt Flo is here now so if I'm lucky, the old hag will come again right before we head to WDW next month. I told my DH that he better hope she's early because I get really cranky anyway and if you add in the heat and humidity and lines down there, well, then he won't want to be around me.:lmao:

OK just researched the Diva Cup and first thought was "GROSS!!!" Then actually read all about it and read the testimonials on multiple websites and thought "No, tampons and pads are gross. This is actually LESS gross!" This is the perfect answer to so many of my problems relating to this situation. One being, what to do when getting to a bathroom is not convenient. (Standing in lines at Disney, all day cheer competitions, dirty public bathrooms) So I called up my best friend and told her all about it and gave her the website and she got as excited about this as I am. So we both ordered one. I called my DH at work to tell him all about it. He wasn't interested:confused3 I can't wait to try it out......I will give yall too much information next month at this time!!;)

leebee
10-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I've always dealt with chub rub by using stick antiperspirant, then baby powder. Works great! I also recommend using antipers stick along the bra line and down the middle of the back- hit the "sweaty spots". I use spray deodorant on my feet, too; get a small cheapie at the dollar store. Let's see, what else...sunless tanner on my legs for a few days before going to Disney (even in the summer I don't get too tan up here in Maine), MOLESKIN, take ibuprofen and sinus pills into the park with me. Hair is always an issue, I pretty much give up on it. IF you have a freezer in your room (even in a mini fridge), try this: buy an insulated lunch bag at the dollar store (the fabric type that folds flat). Each night in Florida, soak a wash cloth (leave it soggy but not dripping), fold it in quarters, put it in a ziplock sandwich bag, and freeze it. the next day stick it in the insulated lunch bag and put it in your backpack. Boy does this stay frosty cold until well into the afternoon, and makes a great midday wipedown. sounds complicated, but it's not. Don't forget that things don't always dry quickly in FL, even in the hotel rooms- don't count on the bra drying overnight, or the bathing suits.

duffy
10-12-2007, 09:32 PM

What a neat idea, I'll have to try this! And even better: it will embarrass my 12-year old sooo much! princess: :laughing:

!HereWeCome!
10-13-2007, 01:14 PM
OK... here is where the MEN can stop reading and move along to the next post...

My advice: even if you don't think you will need it bring *ahem* feminine supplies into the PARK with you. Just one or two, just in case. I was not expecting AT ALL to need them and of course I was UNpleasantly suprised to find I needed them and had to go back to the resort to change and to pick them up. This ordeal cost me at least an hour and a half in the park. My poor husband kept the kids at the park while I went back. I was SO mad at myself! Save yourself the hassle and bring something along... :rolleyes:

*love*2*shop
10-13-2007, 03:29 PM
was in walmart yesterday and in the health beauty section with the small travel stuff is now TIDE for the SINK for TRIPS! perfect for this!!!

planetcaravan19f
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
bump!!

MapleGirl
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I got a stick of the body slide (is that what it's called?) and it is fantastic! I highly recommend it. :thumbsup2

On another note, this year I'm hoping to get a toiletries travel case from LL Bean (it's on my Christmas list!:santa: ) It has lots of compartments for stuff, a hook that you can hang it by and a small mirror right inside. LL Bean has free shipping so it's going to be a Bean Christmas!!:woohoo:

Hedy
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
I got a stick of the body slide (is that what it's called?) and it is fantastic! I highly recommend it. :thumbsup2

On another note, this year I'm hoping to get a toiletries travel case from LL Bean (it's on my Christmas list!:santa: ) It has lots of compartments for stuff, a hook that you can hang it by and a small mirror right inside. LL Bean has free shipping so it's going to be a Bean Christmas!!:woohoo:

I love my LL Bean toiletry case something fierce.

scootermom32
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I use the Instead product, and love them. They are so comfortable that I forget I'm wearing it for about 6-8 hours, and then it just feels a little uncomfortable. You need to make sure your hands are really clean before removing/changing it, though...not always a neat situation in a public restroom. I usually take a few paper towels in w/ me or make sure I have kleenex w/ me. I always wear a panty liner w/ these (except for swimming -- they work *Great* for swimming, btw!). They are made of surgical latex (same as some catheters and other medical stuff) so make sure you're not allergic.

Re: skorts -- I find that heavier ones make me feel really hot "down there" (and not in a good way --rather, a sweaty way!). Think about it -- you're wearing two layers of something heavy (denim or sturdy twill). I have a light twill one that is better (but it lacks pockets).

I have some quick-drying men's microfiber hiking shorts w/ cargo pockets that I really like. I can carry a lot of stuff in my pockets (the stuff you shove in there when there's no time to open a bag pocket...maps, change, etc). They are not the most attractive shorts in the world, but I find that most men are looking at my sunburned cleavage anyway (just kidding -- actually I'm not a cleavage kind of gal).

The Colace idea is a good one; I try to stick to Raisin Bran and a big salad every day, but this is a good thing to have on hand. Thanks, great tips here!

OKW Mom
10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Go to Morocco and buy the scarf with the dinglies, then learn to wrap it like they do-I walked around with pool hair and everyone said "you look so cool!"

The little battery fan- the palm size hangs off my pack. Got to have that.

Peppermint foot spray- a little bottle for the park.

Wetwipes- both the lady at the next table and I pulled out our wetones out at Flametree BBQ- they get BBQ sauce out of shirts if you act fast.

Clips to hold hair up

Hats to hide hair

Swedish footfile to banish sandal feet/heels. (go to Sally's beauty supply-it's the best 97 cents you'll spend on beauty).

Sunscreen chapstick

Buy a Fan in China and have your name put on it. It's relief, it's exercise.......

And....whatever else you pack - You're never fully dressed without your smile
:flower3: :flower3: :flower3: :flower3: :flower3:

lauran cameron
10-26-2007, 02:19 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"]
Hats to hide hair

hats are my saving grace. :worship:
speaking of which...oh hai there roots!!!

p.s. my sig is so ugly and in need of maintenance.
you'd never know i was a art student with a major in photography & graphic design...*le sigh*

[edit]:
NEW SIG. THAT FITS YAY!!!

planetcaravan19f
12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
bump

dizzi
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM

My advice: even if you don't think you will need it bring *ahem* feminine supplies into the PARK with you. Just one or two, just in case. I was not expecting AT ALL to need them and of course I was UNpleasantly suprised to find I needed them and had to go back to the resort to change and to pick them up. This ordeal cost me at least an hour and a half in the park. My poor husband kept the kids at the park while I went back. I was SO mad at myself! Save yourself the hassle and bring something along... :rolleyes:

So true.......
I did not ake them on our DISNEY CRUISE and needed them.......there is no going to walmart in the middle of the ocean! I had to pay almost $5 for a small box and i ahd to buy 3 of them before the cruise was over!!!!!!!
So much for on board credit! HA

hsmamato2
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
What is the practicality, if any, of wearing a skirt?

I wear skirts all the time in warm weather, and in Disney too! i think a skirt looks so much cuter than shorts on my....figure.....(not so big, but i don't like shorts;) )
I like pairing a favorite skirt with a tee,do it all the time! though I am SO past wearing a fannypack ever again!:rotfl:
Sometimes it's a jean skirt,sometime a looser,hippy type,I like them!And they're comfortable.....

TotalSnowWhite
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Speaking of skirts...
Some short skirt can do double duty as a strapless top. Most look super cute over jeans!! Not sure if this really has anything to do with Disney, but the talk of skirts (I love them as skirts and tops!!) reminded me.

Another double duty dress tip:
I saved my (now five) niece's princessy dresses from when she was two/three, and she'll wear them as tank tops on our trip in May/June.

dizzi
12-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Speaking of skirts...
Some short skirt can do double duty as a strapless top. Most look super cute over jeans!! Not sure if this really has anything to do with Disney, but the talk of skirts (I love them as skirts and tops!!) reminded me.

Another double duty dress tip:
I saved my (now five) niece's princessy dresses from when she was two/three, and she'll wear them as tank tops on our trip in May/June.

HA! I love this.......I do this all the time too! And i thought i must be the only one out there......It does save on packing, Just did this when we went to my dd wedding! i took one black skirt that did triple duty!

It is Elastic waist strait and black......1. Regualr long skirt 2. rolled it up to my knee 3. pulled it up as a strapless dress can be worn like that or with a shirt or jacket over it!

AWESOME way to not have to check baggage!!!!!!!!!!!!

TotalSnowWhite
12-13-2007, 11:09 AM
HA! I love this.......I do this all the time too! And i thought i must be the only one out there......It does save on packing, Just did this when we went to my dd wedding! i took one black skirt that did triple duty!

It is Elastic waist strait and black......1. Regualr long skirt 2. rolled it up to my knee 3. pulled it up as a strapless dress can be worn like that or with a shirt or jacket over it!

AWESOME way to not have to check baggage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely!! I did the same thing for a recent trip to NYC. I love just a little shrug/jacket over the skirt as tops. Totally easy to dress up or down! :thumbsup2

Allybaster
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
One of the things I like to get is witch hazel pads. They come in a plastic jar like oxy pads, but all they are is witch hazel. They smell refreshing and they make your skin cooler for a little while.

Chapstick with an SPF number is a must for me. I don't wear makeup so I just use sunscreen and as much chapstick as I can take with me.

I am prone to migraines so I make sure to take my meds with me and put a little collapsible cup in my purse so I don't have to beg for water somewhere.

I think hats are a must, I figure that I am never going to see most of the people at Disney again so they won't judge my hair.

I don't have to worry about that time of the month, I have the Nuvaring and I just pop a new ring in to skip my period. For those who like tampons but are worried about spillage or those who use pads but want a more earth friendly option www dot lunapads dot com is a great website for flannel cotton pads. I have been using them for over a year and I love them. Just wash them out in the sink and leave them out to dry. No throwing anything out. I really can't say enough good things about them.

I love this thread.

Michellynn
01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Earlier this year I ordered the "Set of 4 Travel Organizers and Tote Bag by Lori Greiner" from QVC. I wanted something that was easy to pack and then would hang up immediately for easy viewing and access to everything that was in the toiletry bags. I got them about mid-summer and have used them on two trips so far. They have been fantastic. For $30 for the whole set, they are hard to beat. :thumbsup2

MapleGirl
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Hurray, DH and I are going on our anniversary trip later this month!!! I've made up my packing list (a compact 1 page). Here are a few things that are great comforts:
LL Bean slippers (great after walking all day)
travel sized bubble bath
body slide (we've discussed this before, but it's the best thing in the world!!)
extra socks, t-shirts and tank tops
2 bathing suits
lots of hair ties and headbands
good books

DH did end up getting me the LL Bean travel/toiletries organizer. :thumbsup2 I'll be packing that up for our trip! (We're Bean fans!) We are also bringing a coffee maker since we are staying at the Pop. If we have room in the suit cases, I'll bring our bath robes too. When we get there I'll go to the bath store in Downtown Disney and get some nice soaps and bath fizzes.

my3princes
01-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Here is mine:

I hated that my family (all boys) got to wear swim trunks and a tank to the parks... they dry really quick after a wet ride. SO... I went to walmart and picked out the girlyest mens swim trunks I could find. I went over to the womans section and picked solid tops to go with them (2 colors for each floral short) So I could change out of the wet top and bra into a dry set. The trunks dried really quick! I brought the slider 1 gallon zip lock bags to put the wet stuff in.

There are lots of great tips here. Some things I had never heard of, but will definitely be looking into. :thumbsup2

I have found that microfiber is the ONLY way to go. They make lots of cute styles of microfiber shorts for women now. LL Bean, Columbia, even Walmart. They wick away moisture, are lightweight and oh so comfortable. I try to find the kind with linings built in (just like a man's bathing suit) as then I don't need underwear. I also have several pairs of mens swim trunks for the same reason. I get the solid colored ones and you can not tell that they are men's. They are great as if the get wet on a ride or if I just want to splash around Donald's boat with the kids I dry off quickly and am not uncomfortable when wet. I also wear microfiber underwear and bras. I used to wear cotton only, but micro fiber is so much better, the wick the moisture and don't give you that damp feeling. There are tons of brands available now so you don't even have to look hard to find them.

This is one of my men's columbia swim suits
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a240/my3princes/Days20-22029.jpg

jeminni
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM

I agree with this poster. I had a *surprise* at MGM last time. I had to go buy a long shirt so I could make it back to the resort. Tale your supplies and an extra pair of panties with you.

dizzi
01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I never wear panties unless i amhaving a BAD female day!

you might try this too!

as you never have to worry about them getting stuck in your crack.
They never get wet and stay wet.
YOU NEVER HAVE A PANTY LINE!
They seam never bothers you
the elastic never bothers you
they never make you sweat!

ahhhh............nice and cool!!!!!

and one less thing to wash!!!;)

TotalSnowWhite
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I never wear panties unless i amhaving a BAD female day!

you might try this too!

as you never have to worry about them getting stuck in your crack.
They never get wet and stay wet.
YOU NEVER HAVE A PANTY LINE!
They seam never bothers you
the elastic never bothers you
they never make you sweat!

ahhhh............nice and cool!!!!!

and one less thing to wash!!!;)

:rotfl: I love how blatant this post is!! Yea for a women's thread!! :thumbsup2

Lovin' Lorne
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
There's some really great advice here, ladies! :thumbsup2

Keep it coming.

dizzi
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM

SilverMickey
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
:cutie: My girlfriend just flew in and she has a great idea! I just had to share!

She used to carry a hard sided cosmetic case as her carry-on with all her "stuff". Now she can't because of the 3 oz liquid rule ect. checking that monster was out of the question in her mind. She bought a soft sided fishing tackle bag.... with a hard plastic insert. She can configure it to fit her "stuff" even fit a full sized bottle of contact solution in there. She just slides it inside a larger suitcase in around her other stuff. She paid less than 15.00 at Walmart for it and it works great for her. When she needs anything she just opens it up and the layers fold up and you can see everything. Clever!

vellamint
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
One year my peroid came when I was in disney world, I could not work the tampon machine. One woman yelled you have to put the quarters in together and turn the knob. Well this was no help to me,so then there was finally this nice woman who came and helped me. The whole time all I could say was you have got to be kidding me.

You think that was embarrassing!! hee hee Okay well one time my then 7 year old daughter came out of the bathroom into the giftshop at the end of Pirates (she was with 13 yr old friend) holding a tampon on in her hand, waving it and yelling look Mom - 50 cents got me a whole roll of pennys for my squashed penny collection!! Priceless!!

Not to mention the inconvenience.... which is, IMO, the worst part of the period.

I HAVE TWIN 13 yr OLD DAUGHTERS....someone save me please....

For all you ladies out there who are scared Aunt Flo might start...If you are on birth control just skip the placebo pills and begin taking a new pack. I have done this for years with no problems. Because I have endometriosis it is actually doctor's orders to do this now but I have been doing it for about 5 years before I was diagnosed..

Ya think my gynocologist would have a problem with giving these to my girls - KIDDING......again someone save me please.

I agree with this poster. I had a *surprise* at MGM last time. I had to go buy a long shirt so I could make it back to the resort. Tale your supplies and an extra pair of panties with you.

This reminds me of the $25 pair of shorts (cheapest there) that I had to buy one daughter on our last trip........nice right.

I had hoped that our 2006 trip would be "surprise" free but sadly one child had it and then the other......try explaining to their brothers why we werent going to the water park as planned.

MOMS - how do you handle younger teens having their oh so not a "friend" on vacation!!! Maybe I should start another thread for this question.

cwestbrook
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
sub

eventamy
02-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Great ideas ladies! I took some of the ideas and went shopping at Target yesterday! Spent way too much money probably but feel a little more prepared!

DearDaisyinDurham
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm so glad I peeked at this thread, it rocks!

DearDaisyinDurham
02-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I just wanted to share what I found...My entire family has fair skin (DH had RED hair as a younger man, which has faded into more brown now, but same skin still! LOL) and we use rashguards. I just got mine. I wanted one that would be girly and cute, sporty and maybe even, ah hem, sexy?:cutie: Here's what I found::thumbsup2

I just got it in the mail last week, and I LOVE it! I am looking forward to NOT worrying about burned chest, shoulders, back, etc and just running all around BB and SAB and having a great time. I also got the boy brief bottoms (even though I am not thrilled with how I look in them) and I am very excited to not need to worry about shaving while on vacation, if you know what I mean.:rolleyes1

In terms of sunscreen for the face: I splurge on skin care and I use an expensive facial sunscreen from an expensive facial product line in the morning. That's layer one. I touch up with a facial stick from Neutrogena. It's the coolest thing. It's like a solid deodorant stick, so it's very easy to reapply throughout the day. No messy hands, etc.:thumbsup2

Those are really cute styles on the website! This thread is awesome, I had to go back and start from the OP.

DearDaisyinDurham
02-01-2008, 02:37 PM

:lovestruc LUSH Lover HeRe! Their lip balms in the little pots are awesome. I have :cloud9: chocolate Whipstick and Honey trap. Addictive.

brighteyes
02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
To prevent chafing I wore cotton very lightweight walking short or cargo short just above the knee. I had a khaki pair and army green pair, a white pair only worn on days where we did dry rides. An assortment of tank tops. I don't even think I brought any tshirts with me. Just tank tops.

Shoes I wore teva flip flops all day every day. They are foam and very squishy and comfy and dried really well. They also mold to your feet t he same way burkenstocks do. No blisters at all.

No hat, but should have as I got my part sunburnt the first day. No foundation, just moisturizer, sunblock and a wonderful lip balm i found by blistek. It is a liquid has spf 15 in it. I forget what its called but keeps my lips glossy not goopy or waxy feeling and protects them.

Hair, wet out of the shower and clipped with a hair clip and off I went. The only time I dried it and straightened with lots of product was for our ADR at the Luau. It downpoured half way through and we all got soaked anyways.

Period time. I was on the depo shot for awhile and decided to go off it. Well about three weeks before my trip I realized it would be that TOM for me so I got the shot hoping it would work, even though I was a week late getting it. IT did work, no period at WDW. :banana:

Underwear and bras: Went to the outlet and got all cotton all white bras on sale for 2.99 each. Had 4 bras and changed mid day. Looking at my pics though the underwire wasn't enough or the lightweight cotton to hold my babies up. lol. But I was cool. :laughing:

Rain: We never took any ponchos when it rained, just got wet. Now when we got caught in an absolute downpour we were drowned rats but oh well.

Stephanie

stepnut
02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
On days I know I'm going to be riding a coaster (and not just at WDW, but at other theme parks) I'll wear my snuggest sports bra to keep my girls in place. I'm very small chested, and my sports bra provides me that lovely smashed "uni-b-o-o-b" look , but it beats trying to decide mid-ride "Should I hold the ride's bar, or do I clutch the girls to stop the bouncing???

It's got to be much worse for anyone who's got more than a "36-nearly-A" like me!

ilovecountry
02-02-2008, 01:01 AM
There's so many great tips, a few that I learned big time on the last trip over the summer was

When it comes to hair, the humidity literally did make me look like Krusty the clown even though my hair is bone straight. The secret weapon I found (It's pricey but worth it, you can get it at ULTA on sale quite a bit or ebay)

*TIGI Bed Head After Party Just a tiny bit amount in your hair will give you 100% frizz free hair, super shiny, bouncy, and it will NEVER look weight down.

*For my makeup, I knew that it rained a lot so I wanted waterproof makeup that I wouldn't have to constantly worry about. I can't wear mineral foundation- it breaks me out severly. The BEST foundation I've ever found is- Make up for ever face & body- it's sheer but buildable & stays on through the storms and looks 100% natural. For Mascara the one that won't budge or flake at all is Covergirl Marathon mascara, that damn stuff has to be scrubbed off w/ every product known to man so you'll be smudge free no matter what's thrown at you.

*I bring a body shimmer to put on if I want a little extra sparkle, I put it on after I put a light lotion all over (after spf of course) You'd think the humidy would make it wear off but it's still there by the end of the night ironically and it can just make you feel pretty :)

*If the rain soaks my hair, I twist it up & put on a claw clip- hours later, my hair is full of waves & I just tousel it around.

*To save money, my friends & I shipped a whole bunch of pop, water, snacks to hour hotel room & then just took a few bottles each to the parks each morning. We ate some snacks while in line for breakfast.

*I brought gym shoes & sandels with me to alternate since I wasn't sure how the blister situation would be. I had gel inserts both for gym shows & the ones for sandels. An awesome trick is, at night put the gels in a little baggy & close it and then put it in the fridge. In the morning right before you leave, slip them on and it feels soooo good lol. It was a short lived sensation but it really does feel good as soon as you slip them on

*My allergies can be horrible so I made sure to bring a nose spray along w/ different medicines w/ me. I needed the nose spray everyday I was there in the Parks- my nose stuffed up so bad so if you have allergies I recommed bringing a nasal spray in your purse. The one from Vicks is awesome.

BamaTigger
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Very informative thread!:thumbsup2

I have a few tips for the summer, heated trips and outside activities. Im from South Alabama, and we have the worst heat and humidity!:eek: I also work in the weather and this is what I do in the heat--I take spray deoderant (Secret is the best) and I turn my shirts and shorts and my bra INSIDE OUT...I spray the heck out of them with my spray secret and it helps with the smell and the icky sticky feeling of sweat that makes your clothes stick to you! It works!;)

As far as make-up, well, Im a make up wearer no matter where I go--yep, Im vain about my appearance. :rolleyes1 I wear the colorstay foundation and loose powder from revlon. I apply a thin coat in the summer to keep it from feeling heavy.I also use the long wearing eyeliners and eyeshadows and water proof mascara. And I never touch up while Im in the parks, cause it stays so great. :banana:

Hair--I have permed long hair and I use Aussie mousee and spray sprunch and fluff it until it is soft. I either wear it half up, a pony or throw on my baseball cap and fluff the ponytail up and out so it will stick out cute thru the back of the cap. Just depends on the mood im in.:cloud9:

I wear shorts and NO SKIRTS. ECH. 'NUFF SAID!:wizard:

I take Bayer Back and Body every 4 hrs to help with ACHEY PARK FEET. HOWEVER, I am going to get me some of that peppermint foot rub and try it cause I have bad tendonitis in my ankles and they always ALWAYS HURT....so I am gonna see if that stuff will work.
OH...AND I WEAR MY CROCS!! yea they are ugly, but OMG....they are so super comfy!!!! I learned that from the DIS boards as a matter of fact!:disrocks: Call em ugly, hideous, or whatever, but they make my feet happy!!

I always pack an over-abundance of bras....they tend to lose elasticity after a sweat soaked day at the parks, so i swap them about 2x a day. Im heavy chested, and there is nothing worse than saggy girls!:rolleyes2

2bearsmom
02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow, what great ideas here! I gotta find that glittery sunscreen. I don't really have any great ideas to share. So I don't have to pack my bottles of shampoo/conditioner/hair cream I just save up the samples I get in the mail and bring those. Normally 2pkts of shampoo and 2 of conditioner are enough for me for the week. For the kids for their baths and hair washing I bring a box of Johnson's brand throw away cloths, that already have the body wash in them. I get them really cheap at Target when they are on clearance and I have a coupon. That way I don't have to bring their bottles of shampoo and body wash, and if there isn't enough in the washcloth for my 6yr old I just use the Mickey shampoo too.

I love Bare Minerals makeup so I do make sure to bring that all with me!

As far as doing my hair, I shower at night before bed and after putting product in my hair I put it up in a high bun with a pony tail holder and sleep with it wet. In the morning it is full of body and dry. I can either straighten it or curl with a curling iron or just scrunch and spray and go. I've actually been letting my hair dry naturally, over night, now since we went to Disney last year and it has never been healthier, not drying with a blow dryer. Curling and straightening does enough damage to it.

dizzi
02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I found a Dr to give my oldest DD the depo shot when she was a younger teen and will do it again for my not yet teen DD when she gets her period.

i cant imagine being a teen and having to have your period in school nowadays!!!!

Other wise......... why would you not go to the water parks? if and when my oldest DD had her period she wore tampons?? Do you not let your 13 year olds were them? it is the best thing to do for them so much more comfy when they get used to it and they can swim etc.........

If the are wearing pads........get the ones with NO WINGS they are uncomfortable and have them wear the TIGHTEST panties you can find like bake shorts or even panty hose that you cut off at the thigh!!!!!!
This helps to hold the pads in place batter!!!

If they do go to tampons make sure on long days to wear a panty liner too just for accidents. And wear those with tight undies too!!!!!!!!

You may also want to teach them some tricks in case they are out and start their period and have NOTHING to use!
1. if you are in a restroom with roll toilet paper take a long strip off and roll it around the crotch area of your undies instead of folding it up and laying it in their................IT STAYS MUCH BETTER THIS WAY!!!!!!!!
2. if you are used to wearing tampons .....take some paper off the roll discard cuz you want to start with very fresh toilet paper.....roll it into a cylinder and stick it up there where the tampon would go..........i know this is horrible but it does work!!!!!! When you get home pull out paper and use douche to make sure to remove all the paper!!!!!

vellamint
02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I found a Dr to give my oldest DD the depo shot when she was a younger teen and will do it again for my not yet teen DD when she gets her period.

i cant imagine being a teen and having to have your period in school nowadays!!!!

Other wise......... why would you not go to the water parks? if and when my oldest DD had her period she wore tampons?? Do you not let your 13 year olds were them? it is the best thing to do for them so much more comfy when they get used to it and they can swim etc.........

If the are wearing pads........get the ones with NO WINGS they are uncomfortable and have them wear the TIGHTEST panties you can find like bake shorts or even panty hose that you cut off at the thigh!!!!!!
This helps to hold the pads in place batter!!!

If they do go to tampons make sure on long days to wear a panty liner too just for accidents. And wear those with tight undies too!!!!!!!!

You may also want to teach them some tricks in case they are out and start their period and have NOTHING to use!
1. if you are in a restroom with roll toilet paper take a long strip off and roll it around the crotch area of your undies instead of folding it up and laying it in their................IT STAYS MUCH BETTER THIS WAY!!!!!!!!
2. if you are used to wearing tampons .....take some paper off the roll discard cuz you want to start with very fresh toilet paper.....roll it into a cylinder and stick it up there where the tampon would go..........i know this is horrible but it does work!!!!!! When you get home pull out paper and use douche to make sure to remove all the paper!!!!!

Tried the tampons.....too young, too scared......we tried it in 2006 TRUST ME.....WE TRIED........the shot sounds great though I am not sure my gyno would give it to them at this age even if I asked.......thanks

dizzi
02-03-2008, 06:17 PM
:goodvibes

DearDaisyinDurham
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
From sweetspot.ca - article title - "Always wear clean underwear"

In the rush to pack for a weekend getaway, we managed to stuff our travel bag with four pairs of “dress-up” jeans, but somehow missed grabbing underwear (which made us a little weary to peek into our ad-hoc toiletry bag).

Embrace a Fresh PairInstead of succumbing to the old turn-it-inside-out trick (which is, well, as gross as it sounds) we chose to Embrace a Fresh Pair ($7.50 pack of 20).

These 20-packs of leaf soaps are designed to wash our delicates in just such a travel pinch. Their paper-thin design quickly dissolves into a pear-scented cleanser, and then easily rinses from fabric. A sink, dirty drawers and the tiny, easily transportable pack of soaps turned our undergarment oversight into a fresh-scented triumph.

(website given is iloveembrace.com)

ArmandXG
02-10-2008, 12:59 PM
When planning our vacation, I always check the calendar to see when "that" week arrives. If it looks even close to travel time, I go to my Dr and have him put me on birth control pills. I skip the placebo pills and just take the regular pills back to back. I will end up postponing or skipping that week all together.
The first time I tried this, I was so paranoid that I went overboard and took the pills and the patch at the same time while we were at the parks. I DO NOT recommend this!!!
I can't recommend anything for hair as mine is very short and looks the same dry, windblown, wet...
Even though I don't have a perfect body for this, I really don't care what the general public thinks when it comes to my comfort. I like to wear spandex or cotton work out shorts. They are cool, lightweight, non binding. They are long enough to cover my thighs, wick away the sweat, dry quickly after wet rides, etc.
I wear sneakers or hiking sandals with a high arch due to my bad feet. I actually blew my foot out (plantar fasciitis) one year and ended up on crutches. Has anyone ever done WDW on crutches before??? I do not recommend this either!
I do suggest a test run for anything new. If you buy new shorts, shoes for your trip, take them out for a test run. Those cute shorts may become annoying if they keep riding up while you walk.

Piglet843
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I just thought I'd bring this thread back - Loved reading all the tips! :thumbsup2

Its been over a year - Surely there are some fresh ideas out there! :goodvibes

Poohbug
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
This thread is great.:goodvibes

For those looking for sparkly sunscreen, I have bought it from Bath & Body before-they change their lines every year, but they may still have it.

My hair is horrible-frizzy, curly, crazy. I have had it short for a year now and it straightens great. I will be OK in the humidity but if it actually gets wet:scared1: It's not going to be pretty. The best idea I have come up with is a hat.

I always bring at least two pairs of comfy shoes and switch every other day.
No blisters.

The spray sunscreen is the best. Make sure you get the kind that does not have to be rubbed in. If you have little boys, it's great for their ears(tops always get burned) and their head(part line or whole scalp if they have really short hair).

locolala
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I dunno if this got mentioned, but as far as "time of the month" goes, I'll work my birth control so that I'll be safe during my trip. My doc was the one who suggested it to me many years ago when I was competing in equestrian stuff. Imagine wearing very tight, light colored pants.. yeah.. no fun lol. I have some great hiking shorts that I wear to parks, they're comfy, kinda cute, and cool, so thats what matters to me. I make sure I wear thick comfy socks, and switch out my socks if they get wet. I carry a Camelback for water and holding my junk, it keeps my back cool and I'll always have easily accessible water :)

kate1283
04-15-2009, 02:57 AM
GREAT thread... love the tips! will DEFINITELY have to come back to re-check this as it gets closer to my trip!

as for the o.p.'s original questions... well, it's been a while since i traveled, but thought i'd answer some to the best of my ability (or what i plan to do).

makeup / skincare / tanning?: in the summer sun, even here in michigan, makeup just melts away! after spending all summer outside, i'll have a decent tan, and probably won't need much makeup anyway. probably just stick to wearing moisturizer, water-proof mascara, and chapstick with spf while in the parks!

How do you choose clothing to wear / shoes?: just sticking to shorts and tanks/t-shirts. possibly bring a light sundress for a day of exploring epcot's world showcase, and then shopping in downtown disney. as far as shoes, i live in flip flops in the summer. i wear them every day, everyw here i go (except work, haha). and i walk a lot every night, so i'm used to wearing only flip flops (even in theme parks).

What are your *essentials* when packing for WDW?: i actually already made a packing list! i'm sure i'll add/delete items as it gets closer to my trip, but so far it's about a page long. my essentials for going into the parks will probably be sunglasses, chapstick, money, room key, digital camera, ibuprofen, tums.

How do you manage your hair?: my hair is fairly long (past my shoulders) and layered, but is pretty wavy. i'll probably keep it pulled back most of the time, or leave it down and wavy/curly. there's no point in trying to make it behave, might as well just let it do it's thing!

What are your tips for dealing with the heat?: WATER! i drink LOTS of water in the summer to keep cool/hydrated. i also don't overexert myself; don't want to risk passing out, especially at wdw!

How do you deal when "that time of the month" suprises you on your vacation!?: i pretty much know when it's coming, so it shouldn't be a surprise. if there's the slightest chance it'll show up, i make sure i'm prepared with tampons and midol!

How do you plan for your trip?: read all kinds of stuff on the dis boards! look around the disney site (also gets me excited).

How do you save money on your vacation?: put at least $20 from every paycheck away for savings. also, i'm putting all my change in my aurora bank, so just before the big day i'll roll it all and take it to the bank for cash. all that combined will be my spending money! as for the trip itself, it's paid for with my tax return money.

what are your strategies for the parks / what rides / shows / parades?: no real strategy yet. we'll be there for 8 days this year; that's an average of 2 days for each park. we'll figure out the rest soon!

Boncho
04-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with hot flashes? I have gone to the doctor several times and tried different prescriptions but none of them work.

timzagain
04-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Great thread, even if it has been around for a while!

My period always seems to start during my vacations. I've had that happen so often that now I make sure that I always pack at least 2 pairs of dark coloured board shorts. Board shorts are easy to wash out quickly in the sink in the hotel, and dry very quickly in the shower (squeeze out excess water in towel before hanging to dry). And the dark colours disguise any accidents that might happen when you're out and about and can't get to change your clothes right away!

starrysky
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with hot flashes? I have gone to the doctor several times and tried different prescriptions but none of them work.

Not sure if you can get in the US (I'm in the UK)but my mum used Black Cohosh its a natural herbal product that you take in tablet form and it did wonders for her hot flushes though my mum called them power surges!:rotfl:

It also works for that wonderful pain we women go through every month.

Check with your doctor before you try it though if you are on other medication this is a UK website that tells you all about it.
http://mytopfoods.com/Black-Cohosh-Benefits/

Boncho
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Not sure if you can get in the US (I'm in the UK)but my mum used Black Cohosh its a natural herbal product that you take in tablet form and it did wonders for her hot flushes though my mum called them power surges!:rotfl:

Check with your doctor before you try it though if you are on other medication this is a UK website that tells you all about it.

'Power Surges" - I love it! That is what I am going to call them from now on.
I believe Black Cohosh is available over the counter here in Canada. Thank you very much, I'll give it a try.:thumbsup2

starrysky
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
'Power Surges" - I love it! That is what I am going to call them from now on.
I believe Black Cohosh is available over the counter here in Canada. Thank you very much, I'll give it a try.:thumbsup2

Power surges are not the only thing she had that gold fish memory problem as well and she called that her Senior moment or Craft moment (Can't Remember a F Thing) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good luck with the Cohosh hope it works. :goodvibes

Tamdude
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
This board totally rocks! I just had to add my two cents!

Regarding shorts.. I always wear board shorts.... mainly because the are long, they don't ride up and they cover my thighs...I hate my thighs! They will be perfect for Disney because they dry fast! I have several bikinis, so I plan on wearing those as undies for the days when there will be water rides.

I also like wearing capris cause they are long.

Now regarding "that time of the month". I am on the pill and I really didn't want to have to worry about getting my "rag" when I go to Disney next month. Now, I know this is going to sound a little neurotic but, like four months ago I sat down with a calendar and figured out when and if my "rag" was supposed to come when i go to WDW...Sure enough it was supposed to come! So here is what I did.... For two months in a row, insted of taking one week "off" the pill each month. I stopped taking it for two weeks. So that week when I had my period, I didn't start the pill again when I was supposed too, but started it a week later. Now I know when I go to Disney I won't have it... I have pushed it back two weeks! LOL - the things women worry about!

I started making a packing list months ago...cause there is always a good idea you get, or a good tip you read and then forget it when its time to pack... this time every time I see a good idea about that to pack, i just add it to the list!

I am going to bring "wet ones" or "wet wipes" with me to the parks - i hate having dirty hands and this way i won't have to waste time looking for a washroom. Also, Don't forget to put your camera into a ziplock bag to keep it dry!

We are staying at POP, so i am thinking about bringing a kettle so we can boil water and have hot oatmeal for breakfast to save money, but i haven't decided if i can be bothered with that yet.

Anyways, Love this thread! Keep the tips coming!

~Tamara :)

timzagain
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Power surges are not the only thing she had that gold fish memory problem as well and she called that her Senior moment or Craft moment (Can't Remember a F Thing) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good luck with the Cohosh hope it works. :goodvibes

Your mom sounds like a riot...a lot like my own mother. I have to share the "Craft Moment" with Mom - it sounds like just the kind of thing she'd say!

I'm having a bit of an ADHD moment, so forgive the mini-hijack of the thread but the "Craft Momemt" reminds me of a racehorse that was on our local racing circuit years ago. The horse's name was "Jafetica" During an interviewer, a reporter asked the owner about the origins of the horse's name. The owner said it was an acronym for
Just
Another
F......
Expense
That
I
Cannot
Afford!

I was never a racing facing but that horse's name is permanently engraved in my memory.

OK ... back to the topic. I've never heard of the Cohosh before - I'll have to share the news and hunt around to see if it's available locally!

starrysky
04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
The horse's name was "Jafetica" During an interviewer, a reporter asked the owner about the origins of the horse's name. The owner said it was an acronym for
Just
Another
F......
Expense
That
I
Cannot
Afford!

I was never a racing facing but that horse's name is permanently engraved in my memory.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I have not tried Cohosh due to medication I'm already on so as I said check with the doctor before you go for it. But for my mum it worked a treat she did not want to go on the hormones for various reasons.
As I said in my previous post it is supposed to help with that wonderful time of the month as well :mad:

loonytoony
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
love this thread...any more suggestions?

Sweety_tweety
04-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Great thread!

I will second the suggestion about wearing skorts as opposed to skirts. I wear skorts almost exclusively all summer. They are actually more comfortable for me than shorts now. I even walk on our local walking trails everyday for excercise wearing a skort. The key is to buy a skort that is made out of twill, canvas, denim, or similar type of material that has the skirt portion AND the shorts portion made out of the same material. Don't get the ones that have a different cheaper material underneath the skirt portion...if you do, the short portion will just ride up (very uncomfortable!). Also, the stretchy cotton skorts are cute for around the house, but not very comfortable in the long if you are very active (they ride up a lot easier...both skirt portion and short portion)

I have bought a lot of skorts from women's golf apparel stores. The golf skorts are really adorable, but they can be a little pricey. However, this summer...skorts really caught on with more mainstream brands. Dockers has a lot of different kinds of skorts available (Kohls.com carries them). JcPenny had some nice twill and denim ones this year as well.

If you plan on getting wet, I would not recommend a denim skort. A few years ago we were soaked on SM. The shorts underneath actually sucked up to my skin--I felt like I had a diaper on. :lmao: After about an hour realizing the skort was never going to dry--I went shopping. Surpisingly, I could not find a store that sold shorts. I ended buying a sweatshirt material short skirt.

dizzi
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
ESTROVEN!!!

you can get it over the counter here in the states.

It works.....

i know personally!!!

Helps with other little problems that come along with that time of the month too!

torsie24
04-16-2009, 05:15 AM
OK just researched the Diva Cup and first thought was "GROSS!!!" Then actually read all about it and read the testimonials on multiple websites and thought "No, tampons and pads are gross. This is actually LESS gross!" This is the perfect answer to so many of my problems relating to this situation. One being, what to do when getting to a bathroom is not convenient. (Standing in lines at Disney, all day cheer competitions, dirty public bathrooms) So I called up my best friend and told her all about it and gave her the website and she got as excited about this as I am. So we both ordered one. I called my DH at work to tell him all about it. He wasn't interested:confused3 I can't wait to try it out......I will give yall too much information next month at this time!!;)
I know I'm a year and a half late on this, but I got a cup (called Mooncup here in the UK) about 2 and a half years ago and it's amazing!

It cost me £20 ($30) which seemed expensive at the time, but almost 3 years later and it's still good as new, and periods just don't seem different to any other time of the month now!!

It's a bit of a hassle at first, but I acutally think it's a lot cleaner than pads and tampons, I love it!!! I also think it makes you realise that periods are way less gross than you think...other cup users will understand I think.

meanmom121
04-16-2009, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=BamaTigger;22949026]Very informative thread!:thumbsup2

I have a few tips for the summer, heated trips and outside activities. Im from South Alabama, and we have the worst heat and humidity!:eek: I also work in the weather and this is what I do in the heat--I take spray deoderant (Secret is the best) and I turn my shirts and shorts and my bra INSIDE OUT...I spray the heck out of them with my spray secret and it helps with the smell and the icky sticky feeling of sweat that makes your clothes stick to you! It works!;)

I can't wait to try this trick - who'd a thunk:teacher:. I live in Texas and I could have been using this trick for years. oh well, better late than never:rotfl:

torsie24
04-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Tried the tampons.....too young, too scared......we tried it in 2006 TRUST ME.....WE TRIED........the shot sounds great though I am not sure my gyno would give it to them at this age even if I asked.......thanks
I went away on an expedition to Peru when I was in my teens. And my doctor presecribed my norethisterone to delay my period.

It is not birth control, so your Gyno wont think badly of you asking for it for younger girls (although i think they are doing their job badly if they judge your decisions anyway), and all you do it start taking it 3 days before your period is due, and then when you stop taking it you get your period 3 days later.

I've used it for a few vacations, during times I haven't been on BC and it has always worked wonderfully!!!

Now I'm on a pill called Cerazette which means I (hopefully - they can't promise) wont have a period until I decide I want kids! Yaaaaay! 3 years period free!!

jm106
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
I know I'm a year and a half late on this, but I got a cup (called Mooncup here in the UK) about 2 and a half years ago and it's amazing!

It cost me £20 ($30) which seemed expensive at the time, but almost 3 years later and it's still good as new, and periods just don't seem different to any other time of the month now!!

It's a bit of a hassle at first, but I acutally think it's a lot cleaner than pads and tampons, I love it!!! I also think it makes you realise that periods are way less gross than you think...other cup users will understand I think.

I got the "DIva cup", I think its similar. Under $20, and I love it so much more then other choices I used before. Honestly, I can forget I have my period when using it, no worries. I can comfortably go swimming with it.

If you get very sweaty feet, I have read you can use your antiperspirant on the bottom to help, and someone I know tried it and it worked.
Another tip- I switched to Secret clinical deodortant, and it helped control sweating. You use it at night, and I wondered how it would do, but for me it was great

timzagain
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I had seen something on an older comment in this thread about getting an additional wearing out of undies by wearing them inside out the second time.

I can't think of one good reason to justify recycling my undies - the words "Ugh! Gross! and Unhygenic" come to mind. There are a couple of better alternatives:

Pack enough undies to last you for the duration of the trip
Travel with undies that you can wash quickly in the shower or the sink (hotel supplied shower gel works!), squeeze out excess water in a towel and hang to dry in the shower. If you do this every time you shower you should always have a supply of fresh undies, and you can get away with packing less.
Wear panty shields - the undies will be fresher because there isn't direct contact between your privates and the panty! (TMI, but hey, we should be able to share frankly in a discussion for women)

reservations4five
04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I use spray deoderant under my breasts- I have rather large ones and I hate the feeling of sweaty tata's- I love shower fresh powder in the summer.

Monistat makes a non chafing gel that is wonderful too- I actually use it as a make up base. :lmao:

SandiKB
04-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Just have to say, love this thread! You would think being born in the Caribbean and lived in FL I would know half this stuff, but never ever heard or thought of the deoderant on the clothes trick!!! Keep those tips coming :) :) :)

timzagain
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Just have to say, love this thread! You would think being born in the Caribbean and lived in FL I would know half this stuff, but never ever heard or thought of the deoderant on the clothes trick!!! Keep those tips coming :) :) :)

Just a bit curious ... where in the Caribbean were you born? I'm from Barbados!

SandiKB
04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Just a bit curious ... where in the Caribbean were you born? I'm from Barbados!

How neat :) I'm from Jamaica, left there when I was 20 and moved to FL, stayed there for 12 yrs, now I'm in NC :)

meanmom121
04-16-2009, 06:28 PM
okay I found some of the monistat anti chafing cream at Target - now for my questions - How much do you use - It's such a tiny tube that I hope it doesn't take much? and do you have to reapply during the day or does it last all day long?:3dglasses

ckdsnynt
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I am loving this thread! But I have to ask - did you guys print all this stuff off or just make notes as you find something you think you might want to try? I am getting old and senile :rotfl: and I'm afraid I will forget something by the time I get ready to pack (like next week!:lmao: or tomorrow :rotfl2:)

ckdsnynt
04-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Ditto here! I finally gave up my hormones two months ago because I had been on them for about 10 years (long story) and breast cancer runs in my family so I started to worry. But the hot flashes are killing everyone around me (because when I can control the thermostat, I set it on 50!:lmao: Hey, they can out on more clothes - I can't take anything off and be decent!) and I am tired of having to change night clothes two or three times and getting up in the a.m. smelling like old gym socks:lmao:

littlewarriorsmom
04-16-2009, 10:17 PM

YES! Flax Seed Oil. My sister was taking about a spoonful each day (mix it in a smoothie, or something you're eating ... she just got to where she'd take it like medicine) because she has psoriasis. Well, she just sailed through menopause like it wasn't even happening.

About a month ago, a friend complained that she was having horrible, horrible hot flashes. I told her about the flax seed oil. She got some immediately and went from having two bad hot flashes an hour to about 2 mild ones a day. :)

You can either take flax seed oil (get it from the REFRIGERATED section of a health food store), or buy whole flax seed, and run it through a cheapie coffee grinder that you reserve just for that. You have to grind it up, though, otherwise it just passes through your system without doing any good. Sprinkle it on cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, whatever.

If it tastes "fishy" -- you got old seeds and they're rancid. Throw them away. Store fresh seeds in your fridge or freezer.

Good luck!

reservations4five
04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
okay I found some of the monistat anti chafing cream at Target - now for my questions - How much do you use - It's such a tiny tube that I hope it doesn't take much? and do you have to reapply during the day or does it last all day long?:3dglasses

A very very small amount- like less than the size of a pea- you will be able to tell. It last me all day- I have very oily skin and when I use this I really don't even need to touch up. LOVE IT!!:thumbsup2

ckdsnynt
04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
YES! Flax Seed Oil. My sister was taking about a spoonful each day (mix it in a smoothie, or something you're eating ... she just got to where she'd take it like medicine) because she has psoriasis. Well, she just sailed through menopause like it wasn't even happening.

About a month ago, a friend complained that she was having horrible, horrible hot flashes. I told her about the flax seed oil. She got some immediately and went from having two bad hot flashes an hour to about 2 mild ones a day. :)

You can either take flax seed oil (get it from the REFRIGERATED section of a health food store), or buy whole flax seed, and run it through a cheapie coffee grinder that you reserve just for that. You have to grind it up, though, otherwise it just passes through your system without doing any good. Sprinkle it on cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, whatever.

If it tastes "fishy" -- you got old seeds and they're rancid. Throw them away. Store fresh seeds in your fridge or freezer.

Good luck!

Will be headed to the health food store tomorrow!:thumbsup2 I have probably had 10 "surges" in the few hours I have been on here this evening. It'a nuisance when you are at home but when it happens at work in a meeting, it is brutal! I feel like someone stuck me in an oven and set it on "broil - high":rotfl2:

disneybridetobe
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I use spray deoderant under my breasts- I have rather large ones and I hate the feeling of sweaty tata's- I love shower fresh powder in the summer.

Monistat makes a non chafing gel that is wonderful too- I actually use it as a make up base. :lmao:

OMG!! You have solved the sweaty under**** problem!! You are my hero!! :worship:

jenharring
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM

yes you can buy it here in the states. It also helps with your sex drive. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.
As for that time of the month. I have the mirena in now and havent had a real period since before my little one was born. I just wear a panty liner everyday.
I also have learned to use roll on deo under the boops as mine are large and I use spray on deo down there to which helps with the sweating.
I think everything else on my list someone or another has covered it.

disneybridetobe
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM

My MIL swears by Soy (Isoflavones?) supplements and soy milk, every day. My mother does HRT.

Glendamax
04-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Here are some of the things I do for my trips:

1. Wear a different pair of shoes the second half of the day. This way my shoes get a chance to refresh in case I choose to wear them the next day. Normally I pack about 5 pair, so I'm not wearing out any one pair.

2. After my evening shower, I use Ben Gay with Vanishing scent on my feet and ankles, then put on socks right before I go to sleep.

3. After drying off after a shower, put cornstarch baby powder under "the girls" right before putting on my bra. I do the same on my afternoon break as well. Which leads to . . .

4. Bring 2 whole outfits per day of trip, so I can change into clean clothes after taking a shower mid-day.

5. Hair - I always have my hair braided or do a pony tail. But a few months ago I cut my hair. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1922247

6. Makeup - I only do mascara. At night, I MAY do eyeliner or some eye shadow as well, since it's a bit cooler. The less on my face the better.

7. I buy flushable wipes for infants/toddlers, insted of the feminine ones, because they are BIGGER. I use these to wipe my face and neck during bathroom breaks. Makes me feel ALOT more fresher! One of my friends even carries a travel-sized baby powder to shake into her bra on our breaks. That felt GREAT! Only do this if you have the time, and patience, to dry that area off first before applying.

8. Periods - Tampon with Pantyliner. Take B-Complex and/or B6 with meals, and 800mg Ibuprofren 3 times a day with meals. NO caffiene. Eat banana with breakfast for potassium to help with cramps.

9. Pack cheap/old wash cloths in backpack. If it's BRUTALLY hot, I use these to wipe my face and neck while in the parks.

10. When too tired or hot, HEAD FOR THE EXIT! Laying in my air-conditioned room is much better than standing in line for Thunder Mountain, sweating like a pig! :lmao:

meanmom121
04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=jenharring;31379264]yes you can buy it here in the states. It also helps with your sex drive. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

Yee Haw!!!!:yay:]

dizzi
04-17-2009, 08:58 AM

I use a rollon or stick in the same place at first i thought i was weird when i tried it and then i thought i dided and goen to heaven!!!

lizet313
04-17-2009, 09:00 AM
I am trying to catch up in the reading when I am done I will give my ideas if I have any.

Piglet843
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
6. Makeup - I only do mascara. At night, I MAY do eyeliner or some eye shadow as well, since it's a bit cooler. The less on my face the better.

Good tips ... your so lucky to have such beautiful skin that you can get away with just some mascara. I have a lot of redness and uneven skin so I have to wear some powder or concealer - or I look like death! :goodvibes

I know people in Disney don't care and will probably never see me again - but no use scaring the little kiddos! :thumbsup2

MrsJ Henry
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Loving loving these tips.:)

WDWCNY
04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. This thread is great.

Sweating problem: My podiatrist suggested using antiperspirant on my feet because they sweat. I use it everyday and it works in controlling the problem. Just have to find one that works for you. Know I have found other uses of the anitperspirant now from this thread.

Beating the heat: Nothig is better then staying hydrated. Drink lots of water.

As for the "That time of the Month" Since I got Implanon(3 years BC) don't have this problem even though I do spot once in a while. I just got use to wearing pantiliners everyday. Wearing pantiliners also helps with the you know where sweating problem.

I once in a while get migraines and one of the girls at work told me her doctor suggest taking Ibuprophen and drinking something with caffine in it. The caffine will help the medication dispurse faster. I've treid this and it works. But remember that caffine also dehydrates you and you will need to drink more water a little later.

When saving money for the trip I use that Disney Gift Card. I load money on to the card at the Disney store when I have extra cash. I also know you can get these on line if you don't have a disney store near you. I aso have read that the rechargable visa/mc can be used. If you happen to lose them you can always report them lost. Just remember to keep the numbers to the card, the phone number you need to call and proof of purchase with you at the park or in the hotel safe(if staying on property) so you will be able to report them lost if needed. Have a piggy bank that all lose change goes into until right before the trip, Then taken to bank or the coin machines to get paper money.

Keep the tips coming. I already have a list of items that I am going to look at when I am at the store the next time.

reservations4five
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I use a rollon or stick in the same place at first i thought i was weird when i tried it and then i thought i dided and goen to heaven!!!

I take enough bras that I can put on a clean one after I shower in the afternoon. I thought that I was weird too, but it works! and it doesn't gunk up like some powders do. I felt like a new woman after a shower and clean/dry clothes during our last trip.

meanmom121
04-18-2009, 08:18 AM
okay ladies has anyone had a professional spray on tan? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want it sweating off onto my clothing - any knowledge out there?
Karen

starrysky
04-18-2009, 11:26 AM
okay ladies has anyone had a professional spray on tan? I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want it sweating off onto my clothing - any knowledge out there?
Karen

Ok it really depends on your natural skin tone. The best ones I have found are the ones that you build up so you don't go straight to orange (I'm sorry but some people do end up looking like they have dipped themselves in orange paint :scared1:)

If you do tan its not bad as once it starts to fade/wash off then you should have a tan that blends it all.

Only problem is some are better than others. Avoid white for the first couple of days so that you don't tan your clothes :rotfl: and make sure that you exfoliate especially round your ankles, elbows and knees other wise the tan will really stick and look horrible. Most of the professional people are really good best to ask a few folks in your are who they recommend.

DearDaisyinDurham
04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok it really depends on your natural skin tone. The best ones I have found are the ones that you build up so you don't go straight to orange (I'm sorry but some people do end up looking like they have dipped themselves in orange paint :scared1:)

If you do tan its not bad as once it starts to fade/wash off then you should have a tan that blends it all.

Only problem is some are better than others. Avoid white for the first couple of days so that you don't tan your clothes :rotfl: and make sure that you exfoliate especially round your ankles, elbows and knees other wise the tan will really stick and look horrible. Most of the professional people are really good best to ask a few folks in your are who they recommend.

good advice from starrysky: a couple more things they advised at the salon -
yes EXFOLIATE completely and don't forget to SHAVE (or wax or whatever you do) and don't use moisturizers before your appt.
You want to be "evenly coated" :rotfl: sounds funny but it's true.

Immediately after, you can't do dishes, exercise strenuously (fine by me :laughing: ) - anything that will make you sweat or be wet - no baths or showers for 12 hours. This helps it to last. For example, my appt was at 6pm two days before the vacation. I was done (all dry) by 6:30pm but did not shower until the next morning.

Help your tan last, moisturize as much as possible in the days following. (I used a good moisturizer w/ "light" self tanning and it did help to blend the tans as starrysky said.)

DON'T scrub when you towel off, pat yourself dry, etc. Baby your skin.

Having tried the spray booth and the profesional "air brushing", the professional result is superior. However you have to drop all modesty :rolleyes1 Good luck! :goodvibes

meanmom121
04-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Immediately after, you can't do dishes,

Heck, that's worth a spray tan right there.:rotfl2:

Thanks for the advice.

DearDaisyinDurham
04-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Immediately after, you can't do dishes,

Heck, that's worth a spray tan right there.:rotfl2:

Thanks for the advice.:thumbsup2

They had me at "no strenuous exercise" :rotfl2:

monkeybug
04-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Karen

OMG! I swear I read this at exactly the same time I was thinking "maybe I should say something about spray tanning.."
I got one last week as a test (didn't want to go on vacation looking like an oompa loompa!) and I LOVED it! It wasn't orange at all, and it makes you look thinner (what's better than that?) I am basically see through and didn't want to go to Florida looking like an escapee from the Haunted Mansion, so I am sooo glad that it worked out! It didn't rub off on my clothes, (they did warn me that it could but that other than silk it washes out 100%) It did get on the undies I was wearing while getting sprayed, and it all washed out no problem. I got mine buy one get one free, so it was only around $20 a spray. So that's my tip. Spray tanning makes you look human and skinny! Yay!

monkeybug
04-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I used moisturizer with light tan as well and also thought it helped with the blending! The salon I went to had me apply a barrier cream to my elbows, knuckles, ankles, palms, ect. I still tanned in those places, but she said it would prevent too much from sticking in those spots.

DearDaisyinDurham
04-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Is this the greatest thread or what?!?! Love it!!

louey
04-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Just chimming in about the professional air brush tan :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I got it a few weeks ago and loved it.. getting another one done in a week. I wished I would have discovered it soon.

meanmom121
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
OMG! I swear I read this at exactly the same time I was thinking "maybe I should say something about spray tanning.."
I got one last week as a test (didn't want to go on vacation looking like an oompa loompa!) and I LOVED it! It wasn't orange at all, and it makes you look thinner (what's better than that?) I am basically see through and didn't want to go to Florida looking like an escapee from the Haunted Mansion, so I am sooo glad that it worked out! It didn't rub off on my clothes, (they did warn me that it could but that other than silk it washes out 100%) It did get on the undies I was wearing while getting sprayed, and it all washed out no problem. I got mine buy one get one free, so it was only around $20 a spray. So that's my tip. Spray tanning makes you look human and skinny! Yay!

I'm pretty sure it's gonna take an awful lot of tan to make me look thinner:rotfl2:Have they got a 55 gallon drum? Thanks for the advice though it was very helpful. What salon did you use? was a chain salon or a pvt owned?
Karen

timzagain
04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it's gonna take an awful lot of tan to make me look thinner:rotfl2:Have they got a 55 gallon drum? Karen

Now, that was funny! :rotfl2:

Don't be so hard on yourself - I'm sure you won't need a 55 gallon drum!

timzagain
04-19-2009, 12:09 PM
When I'm in the parks, I like to have my hair up in a pony-tail or jaw clip. or away from my face with a headband. Instead of worrying about packing hair accessories to match my outfits, I pack hair accessories that match my hair colour (almost black)! That way, my hair accessories never clash with what I'm wearing.

This simplified approach comes in really handy when I'm travelling with our 3 girls!

reservations4five
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
:lovestruc LUSH Lover HeRe! Their lip balms in the little pots are awesome. I have :cloud9: chocolate Whipstick and Honey trap. Addictive.

So tell me about Lush shampoo- also do you use any of the facial cleaners? I have ACNE- not the teenage kind, I have used everything under the sun...

duffy
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
So tell me about Lush shampoo- also do you use any of the facial cleaners? I have ACNE- not the teenage kind, I have used everything under the sun...

Lush makes what they call shampoo "pucks". They're similar in size to a hockey puck. If you buy 2 pucks, you'll get a free tin to keep it in. These are super for travelling!!

I like the one called "Godiva", because it smells so wonderful. It's supposed to have conditioner, but I still use conditioner with it. They also make one called "Hybrid" that's a shampoo and conditioner in one. I'm just okay with it.

My favorite solid shampoos would be Seanik and Gentle Lentil. The Gentle Lentil is not a puck-shaped one, so it won't fit in the tins, but it's so wonderful and smells divine!!

Lush also makes a solid conditioner called Jungle, that I cannot live without. I use it by simply stroking it down my hair, or I turn it over and over in my warm hands, to melt it slightly. Then I stroke my Jungle-y hands down my locks. :love:

You'll pay about $8-$10 for a solid shampoo, but they last for a very long time!

As far as the adult acne goes, I would recommend either Angels on Bare Skin, or Sweet Japanese Girl. Both very different from each other. AOBS is a paste, it comes in a tub, and you scoop out a pea-sized amount. I rub it all over my wet face. SWJ, though, is a solid bar, made with butters, and I rub it all over my DRY face. I then wipe my face off.

The Lush forums (http://forum.lush.com/forum/) are very helpful.

DearDaisyinDurham
04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
http://www.lush.ca/shop/products/face/cleansers

Maye you could try Herbalism or Mask of Magnaminty Cleanser? I've got Angels on Bare Skin and love it.

It might be worth talking to their customer service and getting their input. Right now they have a skin care sample kit, think it's 7 products for $20.

If you have a store near you, they'll give you free samples. I'm trying their Big hair shampoo and it's incredible - the samples look tiny but their products are so pure and potent you don't need a lot. :goodvibes

reservations4five
04-19-2009, 08:57 PM
awesome! thanks:thumbsup2

dzneelvr
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
1. I carry a travel size container with high SPF sunscreen and apply frequently. 2. use tinted chapstick with high SPF instead of lip gloss 3. leave all my "good" jewelry at home and wear costume jewelry on trips. 4. wear tried and true shoes/sandals...never a new pair! 5. shop in the off season for designer cruise wear and beaded/jeweled tops to pair with my white and khaki shorts from the mall for a fun and classy appearance. (I love to look good in the World)! 6. get a hair cut about 3 weeks prior to the trip and use only a surfer paste (Garnier) for my short hair. In less than 60 days we'll be there :goodvibes and I'll be ready:woohoo:

bearlyanne
04-20-2009, 03:12 AM
:tinker:my secret is Neutrogena Facial Wipes!

I get the travel sized package and leave them in my cooler. Whenever I want to be refreshed , I wipe my face with them. There is no need to rinse with water and it totally cools you down :)

best part is that I can still wear eye makeup!

for my fellow sparkle lovers- MAC makes a wonderful sparkle. It isn't a suncreen but I wll mix it with my initial lotion applcation and it lasts all day long :)

and one more thing...If my recently cut short hair can handle it, I am planning on wearing my wedding tiara princess: b/c Disney is probably the only place I can wear it again without being institutionalized!

Glendamax
04-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Good tips ... your so lucky to have such beautiful skin that you can get away with just some mascara. I have a lot of redness and uneven skin so I have to wear some powder or concealer - or I look like death! :goodvibes

I know people in Disney don't care and will probably never see me again - but no use scaring the little kiddos! :thumbsup2

Believe me, my skin is NOT good! I just can't stand to have on makeup in all that heat! So come on, ditch it for a day!
__________________________________________________ __

3. leave all my "good" jewelry at home and wear costume jewelry on trips.
4. wear tried and true shoes/sandals...never a new pair!

I do these 2 also!

crcurton
04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Great Thread! Glad it was brought back!!!

meanmom121
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
:tinker:my secret is Neutrogena Facial Wipes!

I get the travel sized package and leave them in my cooler. Whenever I want to be refreshed , I wipe my face with them. There is no need to rinse with water and it totally cools you down :)

best part is that I can still wear eye makeup!

for my fellow sparkle lovers- MAC makes a wonderful sparkle. It isn't a suncreen but I wll mix it with my initial lotion applcation and it lasts all day long :)

and one more thing...If my recently cut short hair can handle it, I am planning on wearing my wedding tiara princess: b/c Disney is probably the only place I can wear it again without being institutionalized!

I love the cool facial wipes idea - thanks

starrysky
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Ok maybe its been mentioned before but if you put your aftersun cream/lotion gel etc in the fridge. It is a really good way to cool down after a hot day in the sun.

If you can't get it in the fridge then get one of the large cups fill it with ice and sit the bottle in it rather like you would with a bottle of wine!

It also feels good if you have managed to get a little pink.

bearlyanne
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I thought of another tip...one that defintely falls in the vanity catagory :cutie:

For the waterparks and pools, or anywhere where you might be wearing a swim coverup when photos are being taken....Wear terrycloth coverups!

Sadly, I found this out the hard way. At Sesame Place (which is a waterpark combined with normal rides in the same area)-I had the cutest picture taken of dd, me and Elmo; but I had 'wet spots' all over my coverup . I looked like a sweaty mess, even though I was just wet. UGGH!!!

Minxe
04-22-2009, 12:39 AM
This thread is a GODSEND!!!

/subscribe! :worship:

reservations4five
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought of another tip...one that defintely falls in the vanity catagory :cutie:

For the waterparks and pools, or anywhere where you might be wearing a swim coverup when photos are being taken....Wear terrycloth coverups!

Sadly, I found this out the hard way. At Sesame Place (which is a waterpark combined with normal rides in the same area)-I had the cutest picture taken of dd, me and Elmo; but I had 'wet spots' all over my coverup . I looked like a sweaty mess, even though I was just wet. UGGH!!!

Sam's Club has really cute terry cloth cover up's for around 10 dollars a piece.

I use a shoe organizer for all of our "stuff" and clear tackle boxes to hold our little things, like medicines, hair ties, ect....

jamie&Greg
04-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Awesome Thread - just found it last night and read all the way through - leaving Sat. for a trip at the world.

HELP - where can I find 'body glide' or that stuff by mansgil (sp)? just at wallmart and nowhere to be found?

To add a tip that I didn't see posted - set your makeup (any kind) with a mineral powder such as Mineral veil - works great in the humidity !!

reservations4five
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=jamie&Greg;31464646]

HELP - where can I find 'body glide' or that stuff by mansgil (sp)? just at wallmart and nowhere to be found?QUOTE]

If it is the Monistat that I was talking about- it is in the same aisle as the other female creams, like for yeast infections and such. HTH

aubriee
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Awesome Thread - just found it last night and read all the way through - leaving Sat. for a trip at the world.

HELP - where can I find 'body glide' or that stuff by mansgil (sp)? just at wallmart and nowhere to be found?

To add a tip that I didn't see posted - set your makeup (any kind) with a mineral powder such as Mineral veil - works great in the humidity !!

You can get Body Glide at Dicks Sporting Goods or any store where runners' stuff is sold. You can also buy it online.

Monitstat chafing relief powder gel can be found with the feminine hygiene stuff (usually with the douches and yeast infection stuff). At our Walmarts it right next to the tampons.:rotfl: Just FYI: it's also good to use as a makeup base. It makes you makeup go on really smooth.:rotfl:

I agree mineral makeup is the only way to go down there, but if I can go one step further the key to keeping makeup on down there is to layer it and to always use base coats. Apply a very thin layer of something like Pure Luxe translucent matte, then a very light layer of your favorite mineral foundation, then sandwich it with a light coat of your favorite mineral finishing powder. I personally like Pure Luxe's translucent matte for a primer, followed by Dream World's mineral foundation, then one of Dream World's silk finishing powders. Apply a cream base coat before applying your favorite mineral eyeshadow and also apply a good base coat before applying your favorite waterproof mascara. When you start sweating in the parks, just gently blot your face with facial blotters and your makeup still looks good as new.

magchavez
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Another tip... Don't forget the kids. We were in MK last October and my 6 year old got a bad headache. I had ibuprofen and tylenol for me but nothing for kids. Fortunately, they had kids ibuprofen at first aid and he was better in 20 minutes. This year, I'm packing kids stuff too!

mickeytattoo95
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm Irish and burn easily so there's really no reason for me to attempt tanning beds or anything. For the last year I've been getting spray on tans and they look really good. They've come a long way since that episode on Friends where Ross practically turned orange and kept getting sprayed on the front side.

Google "Fantasy Tan" and look at this system. This is personally airbrushed on you by a tanning professional and looks real. There a cosmetic bronzer that comes out right away so the person tanning you can see if they've missed any spots or if there are any streaks. Then the tan develops in the next 8 hours. I wear a tiny bikini (that I wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public) while getting sprayed. Some people do it in their birthday suit, but that's up to you. Anyhow, I think Fantasy Tans are better than the Mystic Tanning booths. It's just more accurate and looks better. Price is about the same. Call a few tanning salons near you and ask if they use Fantasy Tan. Or go to Fantasy Tan's website and enter your zip. They'll show you the nearest place that offers it. Expect to pay $30-$50, but it will last about 2 weeks.
:cool2:
Plus, you can slather on 30+ sunscreen and keep the wrinkles at bay for a few more years...:flower3:

yrdlyprincess
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I so love this thread-- didn't get to read thru the whole thing- have to finish up tomorrow- I'll add to it

If you have curly hair make sure to put a defrizzer in your hair (wet) and bring it with for a touch during the day....I go out with my hair wet & in Florida heat--it's dry in no time!

duketennisgal
04-24-2009, 07:41 AM
If you're carrying chapstick with you be sure it's a gel/liquid kind, if not it will end up a liquid chapstick in a very short amount of time! :)

As far as makeup, I don't wear much makeup once I get some color on my face, it just makes my face feel dirty and sweaty. If you can get by with it I would just suggest wearing only a good moisturizer with at least an spf of 15.

Also I've learned, if you are the type that hates the way shorts look on you but feel uncomfortable wearing skirts around in the park try wearing some bike shorts (underarmor or something similar) underneath a skirt. If you can find ones that aren't to hot this can make wearing a skirt much more comfortable.

torsie24
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I hate the feel of Make Up on my face when I'm hot, I also hate having a hot sticky face, so I take the face wipes (neutrogena/clearasil) that are meant for teens with oily skin. This way your face can be really refreshed in the middle of the day! I also find all the sunscreen and sweat makes me break out pretty bad so the wipes help that too!

duketennisgal
04-24-2009, 07:59 AM
I hate the feel of Make Up on my face when I'm hot, I also hate having a hot sticky face, so I take the face wipes (neutrogena/clearasil) that are meant for teens with oily skin. This way your face can be really refreshed in the middle of the day! I also find all the sunscreen and sweat makes me break out pretty bad so the wipes help that too!

I think that sounds like a great idea since I avoid makeup in the parks as well. I think I'm gonna have to pick up a pack for my trip.

meanmom121
04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm Irish and burn easily so there's really no reason for me to attempt tanning beds or anything. For the last year I've been getting spray on tans and they look really good. They've come a long way since that episode on Friends where Ross practically turned orange and kept getting sprayed on the front side.

Google "Fantasy Tan" and look at this system. This is personally airbrushed on you by a tanning professional and looks real. There a cosmetic bronzer that comes out right away so the person tanning you can see if they've missed any spots or if there are any streaks. Then the tan develops in the next 8 hours. I wear a tiny bikini (that I wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public) while getting sprayed. Some people do it in their birthday suit, but that's up to you. Anyhow, I think Fantasy Tans are better than the Mystic Tanning booths. It's just more accurate and looks better. Price is about the same. Call a few tanning salons near you and ask if they use Fantasy Tan. Or go to Fantasy Tan's website and enter your zip. They'll show you the nearest place that offers it. Expect to pay $30-$50, but it will last about 2 weeks.
:cool2:
Plus, you can slather on 30+ sunscreen and keep the wrinkles at bay for a few more years...:flower3:

Thanks for that info. I have never tanned in my whole life. Just white to burn in 30 secs.
Love Ya
another really white girl

my3princes
04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I used to hate the feel of makeup too. It always felt dry and cakey then in the sun it felt like my face was melting. I ended up wearing no makeup at all. Then I found Bare Minerals and I've totally changed my thinking. The price tag scared me, but I had read lots of great things and I knew a few people who used it. Everyone was right. It is a powder, but it goes on more like a cream. It never cakes, You can't feel it on at all, no matter how many layers of product you use. Now I use the rever upper, foundation, bronzer, blush,eye shadow and mineral veil. You'd think all that makeup would feel horrible on the skin, but it doesn't and my skin doesn't break out from it either. I can do the whole makeup routine in about 5 minutes and I look and feel much more put together. If I'm nice and tanned I will skip the bronzer and blush. It also has SPF built in. So for those of you that want to feel more pulled together and not have to worry about your face melting off, give it a try.

jewjubean
04-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that info. I have never tanned in my whole life. Just white to burn in 30 secs.
Love Ya
another really white girl

HAHA im a white girl that burns also. My trip is in 15 days SOO I'm going outside all day the next couple days. :mad:<<<This will be me in the next few days without the frown

tinkerlisa
04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Here are a few tips that I do:

1) TAN BEFORE I GO!!!! It helps reduce sunburn for me.
2) Unless its under 70 degrees, I dont wear makeup.
3) As for my hair, I just throw it in a pony/messy bun and go.
4) ALWAYS bring lip gloss/chapstick. I am addicted to it at home to:rolleyes1
5) I bring pain reliver for all: kids and adults

Still trying to find a good sunscreen for me. I am prone to bad breakouts so its hard to find. My future SIL has Melanoma and before she got sick, I rarely used any sunscreen on myself. I am a stickler for it being on my kids and have decided that I better practice what I preach before I am in my SIL'S shoes.

I just found this sunscreen for my kids. Its Bullfrog brand and it has bug repellent in it and its DEET free.

Libbyt
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I used to hate the feel of makeup too. It always felt dry and cakey then in the sun it felt like my face was melting. I ended up wearing no makeup at all. Then I found Bare Minerals and I've totally changed my thinking.

Same for me! I "converted" several years ago; the first day I wore BE, I kept noticing that I could feel the breeze on my face - it was the weirdest thing! I just bought the sunscreen applicator. It looks like it will be excellent to pack in my park bag - freshen up my face and apply SPF at the same time. Has anyone tried this product yet?

Libby

weHEARTmickey
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Sam's Club has really cute terry cloth cover up's for around 10 dollars a piece.

I use a shoe organizer for all of our "stuff" and clear tackle boxes to hold our little things, like medicines, hair ties, ect....

We do too...Two, as a matter of fact! I couldn't travel without 'em.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/weHEARTmickey/ShoeOrganizer.jpg

I have REALLY thick, curly hair. I wear it a few inches past my shoulders. It tends to get really dry b/c of all the products I use. So, when we head to the waterparks, I wash it in the am before we leave & leave my conditioner (Matrix Conditioning Balm) in my hair. Yes, it rinses out throughout the day, but my hair tends to stay softer if I do this. (If I don't, it gets too brittle/dry.)

Anyway, I LOVE this thread! A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking, "I want to ask the ladies about Aunt Flo coming to visit, but I'm embarassed to start a thread with that!!" I'm SO thankful for whoever started this & then whoever brought it back to life!! :thumbsup2 So, here it goes.....

I see many of you change up your BC pills to alter your period. My tubes are tied & I have no need for BC. Would a gyn give me BC just so I could avoid a vacation period? Would I suffer crazy, hormonal side effects? :sick: I'm a total germ-freak & the diva-cup thing is not something I can stomach. (Not trying to offend anyone, it's just not an option for me.) ;)

Also, I LOVE the deodorant under the b00b tip. :laughing: Can you use reg. kind, or does it have to be aerosol?

torsie24
04-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know if you can get it in the US, but we have a drug here in the UK called Norethisterone which isn't a type of BC but it delays you period great!! I've used it for lots of vacations!! :teeth:

weHEARTmickey
04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't know if you can get it in the US, but we have a drug here in the UK called Norethisterone which isn't a type of BC but it delays you period great!! I've used it for lots of vacations!! :teeth:

Thanks! I just did a google search & got several different answers about whether or not it's available in US...go figure! I will check w/ my dr when I get a chance.

The Florida humidity/heat is miserable enough by itself, I can't imagine dealing with Aunt Flo too!!! :scared:

reservations4five
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM

I have REALLY thick, curly hair. I wear it a few inches past my shoulders. It tends to get really dry b/c of all the products I use. So, when we head to the waterparks, I wash it in the am before we leave & leave my conditioner (Matrix Conditioning Balm) in my hair. Yes, it rinses out throughout the day, but my hair tends to stay softer if I do this. (If I don't, it gets too brittle/dry.)

Anyway, I LOVE this thread! A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking, "I want to ask the ladies about Aunt Flo coming to visit, but I'm embarassed to start a thread with that!!" I'm SO thankful for whoever started this & then whoever brought it back to life!! :thumbsup2 So, here it goes.....

I see many of you change up your BC pills to alter your period. My tubes are tied & I have no need for BC. Would a gyn give me BC just so I could avoid a vacation period? Would I suffer crazy, hormonal side effects? :sick: I'm a total germ-freak & the diva-cup thing is not something I can stomach. (Not trying to offend anyone, it's just not an option for me.) ;)

Also, I LOVE the deodorant under the b00b tip. :laughing: Can you use reg. kind, or does it have to be aerosol?

I am so glad to be of service ;) I use aerosol deoderant under the girls- but I am sure any would work. Roll on is too "wet" for me personally.

As for the BC pills- I asked my Dr. and she would. I had my tubes tied after my twins, because once you start having them 2 at a time for me it was time to STOP that train LOL. Any ways- she said that she would but she was concerned about blood clots. I was a smoker at the time. She wanted me to stop every 2 hours and walk. So I said forget it I would take my chances.

When I travel I am often mommy/coach. So I have to be prepared for just about everything known to man. I love my shoe organizers and tackle boxes...

Ok, now a question for all of you ladies. I got BURNT bad this weekend. I have never burned in my life- I am on HRT now that I had my hysterectomy, but anyways - I had on SPF 30 and I have freakin BLISTERS on my back I am burnt so bad. So give me the magic remedies for that:goodvibes

weHEARTmickey
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I am so glad to be of service ;) I use aerosol deoderant under the girls- but I am sure any would work. Roll on is too "wet" for me personally. Thanks-spray it is!

As for the BC pills- I asked my Dr. and she would. I had my tubes tied after my twins, because once you start having them 2 at a time for me it was time to STOP that train LOL. Any ways- she said that she would but she was concerned about blood clots. I was a smoker at the time. She wanted me to stop every 2 hours and walk. So I said forget it I would take my chances. :rotfl: LOL! You are too funny! Okay, so why blood clots? Was it the combo of BC with smoking?

When I travel I am often mommy/coach. So I have to be prepared for just about everything known to man. I love my shoe organizers and tackle boxes...

Ok, now a question for all of you ladies. I got BURNT bad this weekend. I have never burned in my life- I am on HRT now that I had my hysterectomy, but anyways - I had on SPF 30 and I have freakin BLISTERS on my back I am burnt so bad. So give me the magic remedies for that:goodvibes Oh no! My family is all red-headed & very fair. We slather on so much sunscreen that we rarely get burnt. But, when we do--I sometimes use our aloe vera house plant. I LOVE the bottled aloe you can buy at Walmart or whereever in the sunscreen section. (It's usually bright blue or green.) It has lanacane or something like that in it. It cools your skin while the aloe heals it. :thumbsup2

jenharring
04-28-2009, 02:21 AM
I use a solid roll on deo for under the ****s. Just what I prefer and goes on smooth. I dont use the gel ones for under my ****s, just the solid ones.
And for Aunt flo Can't we all just gang up and kill her once and for all! :lmao: :rotfl2:

reservations4five
04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Oh no! My family is all red-headed & very fair. We slather on so much sunscreen that we rarely get burnt. But, when we do--I sometimes use our aloe vera house plant. I LOVE the bottled aloe you can buy at Walmart or whereever in the sunscreen section. (It's usually bright blue or green.) It has lanacane or something like that in it. It cools your skin while the aloe heals it. :thumbsup2

That's what I am using *sigh* I guess I will just have to wait it out- paying my stupid tax.

I believe it was because I was a smoker. That and I was just starting them like 2 weeks before my trip. I would suggest starting them atleast a couple of months in advance.

DearDaisyinDurham
04-28-2009, 09:37 AM

LOVE the picture! Thanks for the idea!

meanmom121
04-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Geez! :eek: I bought a shoe organizer after reading the tips on this board and now I'm wondering if one is enough!:confused: