PDA

View Full Version : Organizing 101/ July - Bathrooms

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 01:11 AM
We have gotten off track here so I'm jumping back in with the room we all know and love, especially those of us with boys.

The Bathroom, Potty, Loo, Water Closet, Comfort Station, Privy, or Outhouse.
The place mommies go to escape but must announce to the world that we are going there. The place where no one needs to go until you are in the shower.

Goal - provide a clean well organized space
Treat - new hand towels, bubble bath, lotion

Declutter
- Empty cupboards and medicine cabinets; toss expired and outdated items
- Group like things together, such as toiletries, prescriptions, and cleaning products.
- Remove used towels and dirty clothes. Put in a basket for the laundry.
- Minimize number of beauty products.

Clean
- Delime and clean showerhead
- Vacuum and clean shelves, drawers, floors, baseboards, walls, and ceiling
- Clean tub and shower walls with a degreaser to remove body oils.
- Use denture brush and all purpose cleaner around the tub, sink fixtures, tile grout, and the tracks of sliding shower doors.
- Clean bathmats, shower curtains, and throw rugs.

Maintain
- Create travel or sleep-over kits by placing extra toothbrushes and sample size soaps, shampoos, and other toiletries in ziploc bags.
- Use clear plastic storage bins on shelves to group and hold lotions, medicines, and other personal- care items.
- Keep a shower caddy stocked with soap, shampoo, conditioners; store refills elsewhere
- Put up extra bars or door hooks to encourage family members to hang towels. OK who else finds that hilarious?

Tips
lime and calcium deposit remover. I use the Works, it really does work. It can be found at Walmart with the other toilet bowl cleaners. I use the toilet cleaner on the sink around the handles, I found it works better than the spray.

Happy Cleaning!

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 01:12 AM
Thankfully this one is super easy for me! We have 1, count them, 1 bathroom and a linen closet.

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Oh and if anyone is interested June was the Dining Room. Uh yeah lets not go there ok. You think my kitchen looked bad, the dining room is where everything went that we salvaged from the flood in the basement. :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

rlovew
07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
OKay I am jumping in and putting a post in for a list of who finishes. I am not starting on this till the 14th but I will get this done. These are the 2 rooms in the house that don't tend to get away from me and we always keep a minimal amount of things on hand.

Rebecca

Who has finished the tasks:

PrincessNancy96
07-05-2007, 08:20 AM
I plan on doing this room tomorrow... we only have 1 too!!! :)

BAMB, were you and I on the same wavelength again? I was just thinking about this about 2AM when the darn cat wanted to go out.... "wow, we haven't done our organization tasks"...

Only to get up this morning and you posted!! Yeah!!!
Dining room... shoot me that list.. I need to get that room done this month too....

New England Eeyore
07-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I will jump back in with a caveat - I don't do bathrooms. The tub and shower area is DH's job, always has been. I tried to do it once when we were first together and he told me I was doing it "wrong" so that became his job for life. I actually married a guy that LOVES to clean, so he does all the gross stuff, I just have to worry about clutter and light cleaning. And I'm really quite bad about keeping up on that - luckily he cuts me lots of slack!

I'd like to see the Dining room list too. Not that I'm going to necessarily do it anytime soon, but I'll take a look at it!

Faerie
07-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Woohoo! Bathroom is done! I just did mine yesterday morning. Took advantage of the day off to scrub the master and a quick over on the guest since no one ever uses it. (The condo is new, just constructed and moved in in November - I don't think the guest room shower has been turned on except to be sure it works!)

AlexWyattMommy
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Uck! I hate cleaning the bathroom. Having THREE boys in the house makes for really gross sinks and toilets. And I have THREE bathrooms that they totally make a mess of, each and everyone.

Hang towels? What is that? I'm lucky if I can get them to carry their clothes down with them when they are done.

So, what is our motivation this month? I'm gonna still do it, but I really like the motivations. :love:

rlovew
07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't know what title- what would you like? We had some good ideas but I don't remember what they were.

Rebecca

rlovew
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Okay since I get so much more done when I post what I am doing here are my plans for today:
1. get both loads of laundry done
2. Replace travel toiletries and pack them.
3. Find a place for my new toys from CXC.
4. Get nieces page done.
5. Get boxes ready to mail for MK Swap (hopefully the last packages will arrive when the mail comes).
6. Finish slides
7. empty dishwasher

Rebecca

aroyer
07-05-2007, 11:48 AM
EEEEWWWWWW. Do we HAVE to clean the bathroom??? They are my least favorite room and DH usually does the tubs. I told myself I was going to organize the linen closets in Sept, when I quit my job and stay home with the kiddos! :cool1: But perhaps, with this motivational thread, I will start this month. I said perhaps, don't hold me to it.

AlexWyattMommy
07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
HEY!! You are here! We've been worried about you.
Have you checked in on your special thread on the main board?

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Off to do the dining room.

To Do List
1) :laundy:
2) :laundy:
3) :laundy:

you get the picture........:rotfl2:

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
BAMB, were you and I on the same wavelength again? I was just thinking about this about 2AM when the darn cat wanted to go out.... "wow, we haven't done our organization tasks"...

I'm tellin' ya, we were separated at birth!!!!

PrincessNancy96
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
You all would not want to see my list... it's an entire front side of a stenographer piece of paper...

I have accomplished 4 things..
Got beds med...
Packed the kids for Grams
Helped DD finish her ABC Zoo book...and it looks pretty good...
DD packed scrapbooking project to complete at grams.. might as well share that headache!

I finished :laundy: yesterday...
but I have towels to do today.. :(

Michellepooh
07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
OK, I will attempt this one. I have 3 bathrooms, so it may take some time. I think the hardest part will be organizing the closet in the first floor bathroom - :scared:

New England Eeyore
07-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Okay, this is why I shouldn't clean!

I decided to start on the half bath this afternoon. I decided to wash the curtains - a first. I just went to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer and discovered that the curtains have been torn to shreds! The part that you put the rod through is completely unraveled. Since I don't sew, that means new curtains. ARGH!

AlexWyattMommy
07-05-2007, 06:07 PM
:rotfl: Sorry.

Did you know that linen look shower curtains that say "dry clean only" really should only be dry cleaned? I just took mine out of the dryer. They won't even fit a window now.

I so feel your pain.

New England Eeyore
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry you had to learn the hard way, AWM, but that totally made me feel better!

Look at all the damage this thread has caused today! To all of you who haven't started yet - CLEAN WITH CAUTION!

Faerie
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I have bleach spots on a black shirt from doing my bathroom yesterday. Not sure how it happened though

PrincessNancy96
07-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I've delicate washed dry cleaning curtains before and let them hang dry.. but they were the valance type..so if there was a difference we didn't notice..
That's awful!!! I guess that is why most of us don't worry about cleaning the curtains too often! (It ends up costing us more money!)

Sorry NEE.. I hate when that happens...
I have a great valance that I can toss in the wash and the dry now w/ no problems.. I'd tell you what kind but I have no idea.. my mom bought them for my birthday.. Yep, she bought me a bathroom curtain for my birthday! She's always thinking! (NOT!)

BernardandMissBianca
07-05-2007, 08:38 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

OMG...... sorry.....can't breathe......

See what happens when you buy fancy shmancy things.

OH and to wash the plastic shower curtain throw it in the tub with some Mr. clean and swish away.

Lisa
07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I am proud to say, I just cleaned my linen closet, even my DH noticed how tidy it was!:rotfl2:

New England Eeyore
07-06-2007, 08:20 AM
See what happens when you buy fancy shmancy things.

For me anyway it's the opposite - see what happens when you buy cheap crap. Can't withstand the terrors of a washing machine.

I spend like a crazy woman on scrapbooking and Disney trips but on most other things I'm a cheapskate. We didn't have curtains at our old apartment and then we moved in to this house with 22 windows. I don't think I paid more than $10 for curtains except for the Mickey ones I bought for my Disney room.

rlovew
07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Okay since I get so much more done when I post what I am doing here are my plans for today:[
1. get both loads of laundry donedone
2. Replace travel toiletries and pack them.
3. Find a place for my new toys from CXC.done
4. Get nieces page done.started
5. Get boxes ready to mail for MK Swap (hopefully the last packages will arrive when the mail comes).done
6. Finish slides
7. empty dishwasher

Rebecca

Okay I didn't do too well yesterday but I am going for broke today after all it is my last chance to do anything before my trip:
1. Pack my bags.
2. Finish niece pages
3. Finish slide swap
4. Mail packages
5. Post p[hotos of swap
6. empty dishwasher (we didn't eat any meals at home on dishes yesterday so it didn't become urgent)

Good luck to everyone else with their goals.pixiedust:

Rebecca

PrincessNancy96
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
My list for today...
1. Swap Sign Ups 10A
2. Download photos
3. Work on Father's Day Slide Mounts
4. Work on Football elements
5. Work on captions for club scrapbook
6. DH to help me burn CD of basketball league stuff from which I'm RETIRED!
7. Work on genealogy document members
sources
title page (ready just needs printed)
daily record sheet (ongoing)
additional info sheets (just needs typed in)
make labels for dividers
print family groups sheets that are completed
8. Clean bathroom (1/2 done already)
9. Fold towels in the dryer
10. add more to my list!

New England Eeyore
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Okay I'm making a list for today too. I think it'll be too big, but I have high hopes:

1. Laundry - put away load from yesterday and do a load of whites.
2. Finish cleaning scrap room - it looks like a bomb hit it - I've been working on it since last night.
3. Start cleaning upstairs bathroom.
4. Dishes
5. Get gas
6. Return stuff to Target, Michael's, AC Moore (and not buy anything in the latter 2!)
7. Buy new curtains.
8. BJ's/groceries (unless DH volunteers to do this weekend)
9. Finish Pooh paper bag books.
10. Start Mickey paper bag books.
11. Order pix from Shutterfly for July crop.
12. Start DH's birthday gift - photo collages.

BernardandMissBianca
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
For me anyway it's the opposite - see what happens when you buy cheap crap. Can't withstand the terrors of a washing machine.

I spend like a crazy woman on scrapbooking and Disney trips but on most other things I'm a cheapskate. We didn't have curtains at our old apartment and then we moved in to this house with 22 windows. I don't think I paid more than $10 for curtains except for the Mickey ones I bought for my Disney room.

I have owned 3 houses in my lifetime and I have yet to buy curtains at all. Our first house had huge windows so the previous owners left them. The next 2 houses came with mini blinds so we left it at that. Of course I never paint or decorate until we are getting ready to sell it.

BernardandMissBianca
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
list for Friday

:laundy:

aroyer
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
If I would stop reading the DIS boards, my house would be so much cleaner. :scared:

AlexWyattMommy
07-06-2007, 04:38 PM
If I would stop reading the DIS boards, my house would be so much cleaner. :scared:

THAT is just what my DH says all the time.

:rotfl:

New England Eeyore
07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I certainly feel like I got a lot done today. Just a few things to finish before bed.

1. Laundry - put away load from yesterday and do a load of whites. Done
2. Finish cleaning scrap room - it looks like a bomb hit it - I've been working on it since last night. It's not done, but it's 100% better. I still have 3 boxes on the side of the room to find a home for. I always seem to leave it at this same point. :sad2:
3. Start cleaning upstairs bathroom. Nope - that will be next week.
4. Dishes Done
5. Get gas Done
6. Return stuff to Target, Michael's, AC Moore (and not buy anything in the latter 2!) Done, and I was good!
7. Buy new curtains. Done and hung!
8. BJ's/groceries (unless DH volunteers to do this weekend) Done
9. Finish Pooh paper bag books. Done
10. Start Mickey paper bag books.Not yet. That is next Tuesday's project.
11. Order pix from Shutterfly for July crop.That's what I'm going to do before bed.
12. Start DH's birthday gift - photo collages. Dug collages out and started on his card.

rlovew
07-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Okay I didn't do too well yesterday but I am going for broke today after all it is my last chance to do anything before my trip:
1. Pack my bags.
2. Finish niece pages
3. Finish slide swap
4. Mail packages
5. Post p[hotos of swap
6. empty dishwasher (we didn't eat any meals at home on dishes yesterday so it didn't become urgent)

Good luck to everyone else with their goals.pixiedust:

Rebecca

I completed eveything and my only goal for tomorrow is to make it to Atlanta and my hotel in one piece. Have a great week everyone.

Rebecca

BernardandMissBianca
07-06-2007, 10:10 PM
drive carefully Rebecca!!!

PrincessNancy96
07-07-2007, 10:08 AM
My list for today...
1. Swap Sign Ups 10A done
2. Download photos
3. Work on Father's Day Slide Mounts
4. Work on Football elements
5. Work on captions for club scrapbook
6. DH to help me burn CD of basketball league stuff from which I'm RETIRED!
7. Work on genealogy document members done
sources done
title page (ready just needs printed)
daily record sheet (ongoing)
additional info sheets (just needs typed in)
make labels for dividers
print family groups sheets that are completed done
8. Clean bathroom (1/2 done already) done
9. Fold towels in the dryer done
10. add more to my list! done: it was household chores

Saturday:
1. DH to help burn CD
2. finish a few scrapbook pages to finish the 2005 World trip.
3. photos taken and downloaded for swap element use challenge
4. post photos of swap element challenge
5. post photos of ABC Zoo Book
6. Football elements
7. track elements
8. father's day elements
9. genealogy print title page
10. genealogy enter info into computer on addl' info sheets
11. captions for club scrapbook
12. make list for jo's & staples tomorrow
13. :laundy:
14. clean dining room
15. mop dining room & kitchen
16. grocery store

That's it for now.. Now, off to check a few posts..and get this list started..

BernardandMissBianca
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
that's quite the list there Nancy!!

PrincessNancy96
07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Saturday:
1. DH to help burn CD
2. finish a few scrapbook pages to finish the 2005 World trip.
3. photos taken and downloaded for swap element use challenge DONE
4. post photos of swap element challenge DONE
5. post photos of ABC Zoo Book done
6. Football elements done
7. track elements done
8. father's day elements
9. genealogy print title page
10. genealogy enter info into computer on addl' info sheets
11. captions for club scrapbook
12. make list for jo's & staples tomorrow
13. :laundy: done
14. clean dining room done
15. mop dining room & kitchen done
16. grocery store done
My major task was to finish my Mickey & Friends paper bag stuff.. got bags and inserts done.. bags folded.. just need the cover paper.. and to adhere them to the bags...

That's it for now.. Now, off to check a few posts..and get this list started..

:) :) :)

BernardandMissBianca
07-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Sundays list

prep food for family party
go to family party, all the way next door.......:rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

PrincessNancy96
07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Have fun BAMB!!
We are going to get the kids.. than I need to stop by and get more papers for the dividers......and get that genealogy book done by Wed.. DD is going to be type info in tonight.....

PrincessNancy96
07-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Ok the bathroom is OFFICIALLY done!
Now, every time I go in there.. I have to pick up towels because my kids like to toss the towels in front of the basket not in the basket..but it's done!!!

BernardandMissBianca
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok the bathroom is OFFICIALLY done!
Now, every time I go in there.. I have to pick up towels because my kids like to toss the towels in front of the basket not in the basket..but it's done!!!

don't you just hate that?!??! DH will hang his clothes over the edge of the hamper but they never quite make it all the way into the basket.

PrincessNancy96
07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep, I totally hate it... especially when I say something to everyone and they look at me as though I'm the one who is completely out of line for wanting them to do the job correctly.

I would have typed in my chore list today but you all would have fallen over...
I had 2 pages... can I just tell you .. I have everything done by 6 things! (one of those don't count really because it's to remind me to cook dinner!)

BernardandMissBianca
07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Got the linen closet cleaned yesterday. I threw out 1 grocery bag of stuff, and pulled the baby bathtub out for my cousin. She wants me to start "collecting" stuff for her. I have a huge collection, drive up here and get it!!! LOL

Today I will start on the bathroom but I need DH to pull the radiator out, do not ask why, and I need to paint the trim. The walls are done, they just need a little touch up.

PrincessNancy96
07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
While the bathroom is done.. it does need a fresh coat of paint..but DH is putting all new drywall up that is mold resistant or whatever he said it did.. it's blue board.... When we started to take down trim.. we noticed the fools painted over the wallpaper..and some of the wallpaper had mildew on it.. :(

BernardandMissBianca
07-17-2007, 03:11 PM
While the bathroom is done.. it does need a fresh coat of paint..but DH is putting all new drywall up that is mold resistant or whatever he said it did.. it's blue board.... When we started to take down trim.. we noticed the fools painted over the wallpaper..and some of the wallpaper had mildew on it.. :(

eeewwww! I'm glad ya'll are replacing it all.

PrincessNancy96
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
BUMP UP!
Did anyone else finish this????
I did....and just did another cleaning of it this morning! (YUCKO, why can toothpaste not hit the big hole called the sink?)

BAMB whats on my list for AUG? I'm running out of time! LOL

AlexWyattMommy
08-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Yup, got the major stuff done. Just need to go clean the shower, again.

Anybody need Estee Lauder eye make up remover? I have two unopened bottles. I don't wear much makeup anymore and still have an almost full one for myself.

BernardandMissBianca
08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
done too, well until the boys miss the hole called a toilet again. :rolleyes:

Did we do bedrooms already?

MomOf2DisneyKids
08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Did we do bedrooms already?

bedroom? you mean that room with the big thing in the middle of it that holds all my laundry? ;) :lmao:

BernardandMissBianca
08-10-2007, 11:11 AM
bedroom? you mean that room with the big thing in the middle of it that holds all my laundry? ;) :lmao:

yeah, that's the place...

aroyer
08-10-2007, 01:18 PM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So THAT'S what that place is called!!!!!!

Michellepooh
08-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about this. I finished the bathrooms about a week ago and now I'm working on my kitchen.

PrincessNancy96
08-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Bedrooms.. oh goodness... I have 5 of them.. I'll have to stretch that over 2 months... good gravy! :)