PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Sugar Cookies

tchrrx
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Any suggestions on a good icing?

Also, I'd like to decorate with red, white, & blue for the 4th. What type of coloring should I buy to get a true blue & a true red?

NEDisneyFans
07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Buttercream icing tastes best, but tends to be a bit yellow (from the butter and real vanilla); Royal Icing is more "white."

Don't use liquid food coloring -- it thins out the icing too much!

You need a gel or paste coloring agent -- Wilton makes good ones, and they're available at Michael's or AC Moore and probably at your local craft store.

Personally, I've had the best response to sugar cookies with buttercream frosting and colored sugars -- to get deep colors you need to use quite a bit of the coloring agent and it can leave a funny taste (in my experience).

Good luck!

Alicia

clh2
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
We have a great "cake decorating and candy making" store in our area, so when I need perfect frosting colors, I usually just buy it there.:thumbsup2

ariel & eric
07-04-2007, 07:42 AM
I make my own frosting for sugar cookies. No real recipe just use powdered sugar, a little butter, and a little milk and cream until you like the consistancy. I would start with 2 tbsp of butter, 2 cups of p. sugar and 1 tbsp of milk and go from there. Use immediately and it will harden in about an hour depending on the humidity.