PDA

View Full Version : Il Mulino : A cold place

Gator Kate
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I promised to report back after my May 30th dinner and am finally finding the time to do it. Sadly I wasn't overly impressed . If you listened to the podcast review a few weeks ago, our experience was similar. While the food was mostly good the attiude of the wait staff and the atmosphere of the place really tainted our enjoyment of the evening. "Cold" is the key word here. The decor is stark and not welcoming, the temperature of the a.c. was sub-zero and the staff acted as if we were an imposition. We did request a bump up of the thermostat but were told the hotel controls it and they couldn't make any changes. Our waiter mumbled, was barely audible, and never cracked even a half smile. We really aren't difficult people, didn't ask for much at all, but watch out if we had even the slightest problem. My niece thought the potatoes with her entree were going to be mashed and they arrived roasted. We questioned the assistant who delivered the meals, who sent round our main server, Mumbly. He harshly asked what the problem was with the potatoes and confirmed they were supposed to be roasted, they don't offer mashed. So okay she read it wrong, no problem, just asking. It would have been nice if he at least pretended to care. Something along the lines of, sorry this isn't what you were expecting, can I bring you something else? etc. You get the drift. Okay, so enough of the mumbly , grumpy, waiters. The food was decent as I mentioned earlier, just wildly overpriced in my opinion. I had PENNE RIGATE which was tasty but nothing to write home about. My sis had TORTELLINI ALLA PANNA , rich, but I think she enjoyed it. Nieces both had meat dishes,COSTOLETTA DI VITELLO and MEDAGLIONE DI FILETTO, veal and tenderloin respectively. The steak seemed like an especially good dish, although being a vegetarian I didn't ask a whole lot about it. Sis and I had a glass each of pinot noir which tasted like very cheap wine. It wasn't the least expensive by the glass selection. A low point to be sure. I think maybe the desserts were the highlight of our meal the four of us shared TIRAMISU and TORTA DI CIOCCOLATI.
The latter was a flourless chocolate cake that was some of the richest most delicious chocolate I've had the pleasure to
taste. The bill was in the $200 range, high for what we ate. I apologize for the lack of details on the food, my memory has faded some since we dined. Guess I'm just venturing an overall impression of an expensive mediocre meal which wasn't that much fun. We're FL residents' who visit about 6 times a year, love to eat at nice Disney restaurants and won't be putting this on our repeat list. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Happy Dining!

Kate

Uncleromulus
07-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Not good to hear this about Il Mulino. Much was expected, especially since they replaced a pretty good restaurant to start with. Sounds to me (service wise) like another Shula's--they rely on business expense account folks who will probably never come back, so they treat you that way. Il Mulino SHOULD realize that they are in WDW and WDW "friendly" service should be provided.

Minniespal
07-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Not good to hear ~ we have ADRs there in November. Hope it improves by then.

Maggi May
07-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for posting your review. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Between your review and the podcast, I don't think we'll be putting this one on our list anytime soon. There are too many other good restaurants in WDW to try besides this one.

wilma-bride
07-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Not the first poor review I've read about Il Mulino. Sorry your experience wasn't great.