PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fish Review/UPDATE: Dress Code

Peter Pirate 2
07-01-2007, 11:06 AM
My daughter and I tried FF again last night after a lengthy time away following a couple of so-so meals.

I am happy to report that everything was back to normal!

Although Chef Tim wasn't there we noticed the kitchen functioning as always (efficiently) and the staff, while all new to me, was very good.

We started with the Arugula salad with walnuts and pears and it was split for us without our asking. It was top notch.

I had the charred New York Strip and although it was more rare than the medium rare I ordered it was very, very good, tasty and tender with very little waste. Very much improved over my two most recent visits. The Yukon potatos were better than the past, as well. My daughter had the scallops over the rissoto du jour and it was great. There were only three scalllops and about half the amount of risotto as in the past but honestly it was always too much food before (sadly the price is still the same). The scallops were excellent and the risotto soooo tasty.

Halfway through our meal we were treated to a couple of vegetable samplers from the one Chef we still know and they were excellent - One of them was the accompanyment to the Halibut special of the evening making me think this would have been a VERY good entree.

No room for desert although the offerings don't seem as great as before (IMO) my daughter thought the valharona chocolate creation looked decadent.

Service was wonderful (Joey) and I am happy to say FF is back into my full graces. A+!!!
pirate:

I forgot to mention that we were told 'business casual' upon making our reservation. Most people were in casual park clothes though and one larger group included two men in flowered bathing suit shorts & logo tee shirts, virtually everyone wore flip flops and one girl had a spagehtti strap tee over a bathing suit top...Don't believe the Dress Code requirements for a minute.:confused3

Minniespal
07-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Excellent review ~ Thanx for sharing.

wilma-bride
07-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the review.

Schucraig
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the great review!:thumbsup2

wintergreen
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the review! I love the Flying Fish!

JESW
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, when we were there in April dh was asked to take off his hat for the dress code - he usually does immediately when walking into a resteraunt but was distracted that night. We had an off night so we are taking a break from there for a while.

Jill

yankeepenny
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
thanks for sharing we will be dining there in sept.:thumbsup2

Last sept at CG, the dress code was NOT ENFORCED in any way. I felt overdressed in a golf shirt!

MarieA
07-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm happy to hear you had a great meal. We have ADRs for our trip in August and was hoping to hear that things had improved.

jodifla
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear this! I know this has been a sore spot for you...

punkin
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
We were just here last week and it was really good. The service was attentive. The tuna sampler was good (the tartare was exceptional and the tataki was a little too spicy, but good overall). Salmon was out of this world. See bass was pretty good too. My girls liked the children's steak, but thought the grilled chicken was too dry. The scallops were just OK. Desert was strawbery shortcake (not exceptional, but we liked the basil flavor combined with strawberry). We also had the cheese plate, which was not so great.

Overall, I agree with OP, a great experience.

wildernesslodgelover
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the review, PP. As you may remember, we dined there for the first time in May and were very pleased, but I did remember your "less than stellar" reviews recently and wondered, "Hmmm, if we enjoyed FF as it is...how much *better* was it before, in the PP/FF glory days?":confused3 So I am glad to hear it is once again up to snuff.

Next time we go, I will prance in there in my thong and DARE them to enforce that dress code policy! (To all that are reading this...J/K...it is a joke for PP!)

Peter Pirate 2
07-05-2007, 09:34 PM
LOL! Let me know how that works out for you WLL!

Yes WLL & Jodifla the FF has long been one of my bellweathers and it was great to be back and have such a nice meal So they're back on my WDW 'will do' list along with Bluezoo at the moment with Artist Point on the bubble pending our next visit.

I'd like to add Jiko back on the list but as you know that will not happen until the firecracker appetizer is back (these are under orders of my 14 yo daughter).
pirate:

wildernesslodgelover
07-05-2007, 09:43 PM
LOL! Let me know how that works out for you WLL!

Yes WLL & Jodifla the FF has long been one of my bellweathers and it was great to be back and have such a nice meal So they're back on my WDW 'will do' list along with Bluezoo at the moment with Artist Point on the bubble pending our next visit.

I'd like to add Jiko back on the list but as you know that will not happen until the firecracker appetizer is back (these are under orders of my 14 yo daughter).
pirate: *sigh* you know how I feel about BZ. I may have to try it once more...just cuz you give it a thumbs up and have been there twice recently.

"AP on the bubble." I like that phrase...don't think I have ever heard it! Come to think of it...my DH is "on the bubble" right now!

Again, J/K!:guilty: Sheesh, this chardonnay is making me silly...must go to bed now!:rolleyes1

Uncleromulus
07-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Pirate: Glad things are back to normal at FF. We had a great meal there in May, and are going back again in December. When I WILL break down and have that steak, sauce Foyot and all!!
And the dress code as you found it was pretty much the same as the night we ate there.

ufgator
07-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your update, Peter Pirate. We ate there in May and enjoyed our meal. I always order the same thing - the hearts of palm appetizer and the potato wrapped snapper - so they can ruin all the other food except those 2 things. :rotfl2:

Guy Incognito
07-08-2007, 08:54 AM
I forgot to mention that we were told 'business casual' upon making our reservation. Most people were in casual park clothes though and one larger group included two men in flowered bathing suit shorts & logo tee shirts, virtually everyone wore flip flops and one girl had a spagehtti strap tee over a bathing suit top...Don't believe the Dress Code requirements for a minute.:confused3

it is rather pathetic that so many people can't be bothered to just put on something nice for dinner. Is it that much of a chore for a guy to wear a pair of pants and a golf/polo style shirt? We're not talking a 3-piece suit or a tuxedo here.

it's just too bad the restaurants won't enforce their own dress code standards and refuse to seat anyone not in compliance. I guess they're just too afraid of offending someone and causing a scene.

Ron from Michigan
07-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the review. We will be eating at FF in December. :)

NMW
07-12-2007, 06:20 AM
We had an amazing meal there in Oct.

I read in the allears newsletter that the so called business casual dress code is now allowing tee-shirts. Maybe because that's what most people wear already!