PDA

View Full Version : Chances of waitlist opening ...


lchez
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi, What do you think the chances are of a two bedroom opening up for thh week of October 21-29 at ANY of the resorts. We currently have 5 nights at SSR, the next night NOTHING, and then 4 nights back at SSR. I am waitlisted at BWV, SSR, OKW and AKL for the two bedroom for the whole time. It is very frustrating. (Additionally, we wanted the meal plan and if I am unable to get that night, it'll really mess us up.) I know it's just conjecture on everyone's part, but do you think I should book elsewhere for that night? Thanks.

Deb & Bill
06-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Did you waitlist the one night at SSR? That might be your best bet. However, even that is not assured. We waitlisted a two bedroom at SSR in October a few years ago (after the resort had been open about a year) during Oct and we never got it. We only had four and we had a one bedroom, but we wanted a little more room.

Hope you get your one night or the whole thing elsewhere.

CarolMN
06-30-2007, 07:41 AM
It sounds like you have only one night missing for your vacation - and that the other nights are reserved at SSR.

If it were me, I'd get on the waitlist for that one missing night (if you haven't already). THen I'd call MS and see if I could get the missing night on cash. If so, I'd have all the nights booked through MS and I would add the Dining Plan at that time. At that point, I'd stop worrying about the one "missing points night" - if the waitlist came through, great! If not, well I have my vacatin set and I have the DP booked for it.

Sounds like your missing night is a Friday - I'm a little surprised that it isn't available and think that you still have a good chance of getting it.

hitchedpumpkin
06-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I am so nervous. :scared1: We booked a 1 bedroom at SSR a few weeks back for Jan 1 - Jan 6. Now my parents are going to join us. I called MS on Thurs. to switch to a 2BR and EVERYTHING is booked!:eek: No studios, no 2BR, no cash ressie at ANYof the resorts. I waitlisted so that if any 2BR comes through we will take it. I guess I can only cross my fingers and hope something comes thru. We are considering moving the dates but that means either we shorten the trip (boo!) or keep DS7 out of school another day or 2 then originally planned. Oh yeah, we also already booked the flight on Southwest and aren't sure if we can even change dates without penalty. The other option is to book parents at another resort but that will cost more and just overall complicate the trip. Besides I was really looking forward to staying in the 2BR with the whole family. I wish I had known that inventory for DVC was so limited.:mad: :sad1:

lchez
06-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Deb & Bill
06-30-2007, 10:38 AM
.... I wish I had known that inventory for DVC was so limited.:mad: :sad1:

It's not that the inventory is so limited, it's that a lot of members wanted to go when you are going and already made their reservations before you. With Jan 1 being Tuesday, I can see where a lot of people would want to go at that time - school being out (or only missing a day or two), holiday decorations still up, cheap points, etc.

crisi
06-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Or, you can look at it this way. DVC sold enough points to keep the resorts booked at about 95% occupancy. That's why points are priced where they are, that's why dues are what they are. But that means that at many times of the year, the resorts book up completely full. And that means that people who want to travel during those periods of time plan ahead and book as early as possible. This is one of the deals with timeshares - DVC is a decent value, but you do give up flexibility to get it.

You'll learn to plan ahead, particularly when inviting guests and to make it clear to guests that this isn't a "we can always add you later or rebook if you decide not to come" situation.

TenThousandVolts
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah, we also already booked the flight on Southwest and aren't sure if we can even change dates without penalty. The other option is to book parents at another resort but that will cost more and just overall complicate the trip. Besides I was really looking forward to staying in the 2BR with the whole family. I wish I had known that inventory for DVC was so limited.:mad: :sad1:

Good news- SWA does not charge a penalty for making changes to your itinerary. It may cost more (or possibly less :) ) because of the price of the flights, but there are no penalties and no fees. If the new itin. costs less then the old one- you will have a credit at SWA.

Good luck getting your 2bdrm! I hope it works out.

colieolie
07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Or, you can look at it this way. DVC sold enough points to keep the resorts booked at about 95% occupancy. That's why points are priced where they are, that's why dues are what they are. But that means that at many times of the year, the resorts book up completely full. And that means that people who want to travel during those periods of time plan ahead and book as early as possible. This is one of the deals with timeshares - DVC is a decent value, but you do give up flexibility to get it.

You'll learn to plan ahead, particularly when inviting guests and to make it clear to guests that this isn't a "we can always add you later or rebook if you decide not to come" situation.

:confused3

It is not that some people don't plan ahead, it is just that the rooms fill up quickly.
I booked at my 11 month window and could not get a 2 bedroom anywhere. I also had to get 2 studios for parents and in laws. I was able to book a studio for inlaws, however the other studio I am missing two nites. I know it is the holiday week, Nov. 19-27, however it is frustrating when you call 11 months out and still can not get what you want. It is sad that we all have to stay at different hotels.

:confused: :confused:

Starr W.
07-04-2007, 08:12 PM
:confused3

It is not that some people don't plan ahead, it is just that the rooms fill up quickly.
I booked at my 11 month window and could not get a 2 bedroom anywhere. I also had to get 2 studios for parents and in laws. I was able to book a studio for inlaws, however the other studio I am missing two nites. I know it is the holiday week, Nov. 19-27, however it is frustrating when you call 11 months out and still can not get what you want. It is sad that we all have to stay at different hotels.

:confused: :confused:


I booked Thanksgiving(11/17-11/23) on December 23 when my window open and got a 2br for SSR no problem. Now I did wait on hold for 20 minutes(Saturday and I didn't call right at 1pm). Booked Easter at VB at 11 months and did day by day and got right through every morning(I was shocked:scared1:). Booked MLK weekend at 11, no problem getting a 2br, no problem switching at 7 months to BCV(got the 2br with queen/sofa bed).

CarolMN
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
:confused3

It is not that some people don't plan ahead, it is just that the rooms fill up quickly.
I booked at my 11 month window and could not get a 2 bedroom anywhere. I also had to get 2 studios for parents and in laws. I was able to book a studio for inlaws, however the other studio I am missing two nites. I know it is the holiday week, Nov. 19-27, however it is frustrating when you call 11 months out and still can not get what you want. It is sad that we all have to stay at different hotels.

:confused: :confused:I'm having a very hard time believing you could not get a 2 bedroom at your home resort if you called when your 11 month window opened. Where is your home resort?

If it's BWV and you wanted a standard view or a guaranteed Boardwalk view, I can believe you had trouble - but no way were the PV -Pool/Garden 2 bedrooms all sold out at the 11 month window, even for Thanksgiving. Possibly the dedicated 2 bedrooms with 2 queens in the second bedroom at the BCV were gone the first day, but you should have been able to get one of the other types of 2 bedroom units. The other resorts do not have limited "specialty" booking categories for the 2 bedrooms, so there just shouldn't have been a problem if you called right at 11 months.

There must have been some type of misunderstanding when you called MS.

I'm only posting because I don't want others to think it is a common occurrence to get shut out of your home resort when you call right at 11 months. Other than the exceptions that I've posted above, for WDW DVC resorts, I'd only add Grand Villas as a possibility - for some peak periods.

Deb & Bill
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Carol. It must have been for a special category of room, like standard view, boardwalk view, dedicated two bedroom with two queens at BCV...

Starr W.
07-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Yes they do Deb. I just got 2br with the queen & sofa bed at BCV and it is a booking category.