PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergies - who takes care of it best

SauceBoss
06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi there - here's an interesting topic that's been getting a lot of buzz lately. We all know the extent that WDW goes to accomodate guests with dietary needs, just curious about different experiences at different restaurants.

Anyone do it better than the rest, or anyone receive exceptional attention from any restaurant anyone specific? or lack of attention or interest, for that matter?

Cheers!

RSoxFan
06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
My brother and I are allergic to nuts and shellfish. We do great at every restaurant in WDW. We just tell the server and they usually bring the chef out to meet us. I especially remember them being great at the Garden Grill and Les Chefs de France. But really, we never had a bad experience

hildarumpole
06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
We never had a problem with the kids food allergies, but some chefs were nicer and more attentive than others. The chef at Crystal Palace was the most friendly and took a lot of time explaining everything on the buffet. The WCC chef seemed a little stressed, but was very thorough. Biergarten and H&V were good, too. Other chefs weren't awful, just not so friendly. Ohana and R&C seemed a bit bored by the whole routine of visiting tables about allergies. They both came to table saying, "What do you want to know?" in sort of fed up tones. It's good WDW takes allergies so seriously, but they could come up with a better way of dealing with them, other than mandating every chef visit every table with allergies. We had some long waits before we met the chef and could order at a few places. Ohana wouldn't even let us order drinks while we waited. We already know Sprite doesn't contain any nuts, thanks. People who live with food allergies know what types of foods are a problem for them and can recognize them on a menu. It would be nice if the menus noted the most common allergens with the items if it's not obvious by the name or description. Buffets could note things on the labels over the food. They could also flag the ticket for the chef, so he/she knows to be careful when preparing and can alert the patron if there is a problem with the menu choice. If someone has more unusual allergies, or really wants to talk to a chef, then that can be requested. Given how busy the restaurants are and the fact that WDW does take food allergies very seriously, a more streamlined approach might make more sense at this point.

Claireybear
06-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi,
My mother has a dairy and egg allergy. We ate at lots of Disney restaurants - The Norweigan restaurant Akershus was by far the best - the chef Dan was brilliant!! Crystal Palace was also very good - my mum managed to have a dairy and egg free chococlate cake!! Planet Hollywood and Biergarten were probably the worst - not bad but not that overly helpful either!! Off site Bahama Breeze was fab too - this was the only place the actual waiters and waitresses were able to tell us what each dish had in it!
Claire.

Cindy's Mom
06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
We never had a problem with the kids food allergies, but some chefs were nicer and more attentive than others. The chef at Crystal Palace was the most friendly and took a lot of time explaining everything on the buffet. The WCC chef seemed a little stressed, but was very thorough. Biergarten and H&V were good, too. Other chefs weren't awful, just not so friendly. Ohana and R&C seemed a bit bored by the whole routine of visiting tables about allergies. They both came to table saying, "What do you want to know?" in sort of fed up tones. It's good WDW takes allergies so seriously, but they could come up with a better way of dealing with them, other than mandating every chef visit every table with allergies. We had some long waits before we met the chef and could order at a few places. Ohana wouldn't even let us order drinks while we waited. We already know Sprite doesn't contain any nuts, thanks. People who live with food allergies know what types of foods are a problem for them and can recognize them on a menu. It would be nice if the menus noted the most common allergens with the items if it's not obvious by the name or description. Buffets could note things on the labels over the food. They could also flag the ticket for the chef, so he/she knows to be careful when preparing and can alert the patron if there is a problem with the menu choice. If someone has more unusual allergies, or really wants to talk to a chef, then that can be requested. Given how busy the restaurants are and the fact that WDW does take food allergies very seriously, a more streamlined approach might make more sense at this point.

I'm so glad that someone else out there agrees with me on this. I think sometimes having the chef come over to the table is overkill - so much that I don't even put her nut or shellfish allergy on the ADR's anymore.

The Chef last year at Spoodles was VERY nice, but after his spiel - he stayed at our table to "talk about our trip"; and all we really wanted to do was order and get some food into our cranky kids stomachs.

Like you said - we kinda know what has nuts and what doesn't - please don't flame me on the cross contamination issue - because a chef telling me that this doesn't contain nuts is not going to stop a kitchen helper from using the wrong spoon. That would happen anyway. It here were

Luckily DD isn't too experimental in her foods, so its basically chicken nuggets, hot dogs and pizza at WDW.

BCV2002
06-29-2007, 02:21 PM
My mother is about allergic to every type of food (anything aged, moldy, has yeast, vinager). We've gone to WDW at least 20 times and they've always been great about her food allergies, probably better than any other place we've been to (well, that is except DCL, but that counts as Disney). :) Anyway, after going to a million restaurants, I've come to see that the fancier the better when accommodating to people with food allergies. Every restaurant has been great to us, but by far the 2 best to help her were CA Grill and Narcoossee's. The chef came out and made sure to even cook her steak on a different grill b/c mushrooms were cooked on the other ones earlier (another thing she's allergic to). I wouldn't have too many worries though about them down there. They've always been great.

gracelrm
06-29-2007, 07:59 PM
We ate at Wolfgang Puck Cafe in June and it was the only restaurant that I was asked if anyone at the table had any food allergies. I'm allergic to eggs and my DH told the server that and the chef came out to discuss menu options for me. We had the DDP and ate TS meals 7 nights and this was the only time we were asked.

3DisneyBuggs
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I had the chef come out at the Kona Cafe and take away my pancakes. He didn't see them being cooked and couldn't be sure they were nut free. Also at Spoodles they were attentive. My dessert was minus the biscotti and they gave me no olives w my med dips due to almonds being in them.

dbarker
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Our first morning I had the chef at Boma come talk to me about my allergies (corn, barley, soy and msg). I was disappointed that he didn't realize that a lot of foods use corn starch, corn syrup, etc. I pretty much know what I can and cannot eat.

However, the chef at 50's was fantastic. He much more aware and since I ordered the fried cheese, he fried it in new grease so there wouldn't be any cross-contamination w/ the beer battered stuff. (Barley and beer are major disasters for me. I'm tolerant of the other allergens)

allergymoms
07-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Artists point at the Wilderness lodge was outstanding. The chef came out three times--when we ordered, when he brought the food and to check on us. The manager came over twice, during our meal and at the end.

The service was outstanding and the food (especially the adult food) was wonderful! And it was great to eat gourmet food while your kids are coloring with crayons right at the table.

I'd highly recommend it!

Take care,
Gina

gigi1313
07-01-2007, 08:01 PM
we've had some good and some not-so-good experiences... mostly good though!

if we get a "good" talkative, friendly, very helpful chef, ds will ask to snap a photo and get an autograph... the chefs seem to love being asked! LOL!

our best experiences thusfar have been at: chef mickey's (chef allan), LTT (chef amber), H&V, Donald's, and Garden Grill (it was the server here that made it outstanding)

at these restaurants they were helpful but often very rushed and did not offer to go out of their way, just gave the safe/not safe options: CP, Mama Melrose, Biergarten, HDDR, 'ohana (breakfast, we would not even chance dinner), 1900 PF, CRT (although they gave us safe pastries that other tables did not get), and Artist's Point...

the ones that were less than helpful (and one where ds had a reaction due to incorrect info) were LeCellier, Tony's and Boma breakfast...

Smerdle
07-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I am allergic to Wheat. When my DH and I went back in December last year we ate Kona, Mama Melrose and the Tusker House in AK. Out of the 3 the only place I had any problems or hangup rather was the Tusker House. Here when I ordered a burger with the EnerG Wheat Free Bun it took them a while about 10 mins to locate the buns but the floor lead/manager brought the package out to me to make sure the buns were the correct ones. At both Kona and Mama the chefs visited our tables. It was great because I ordered the Mahi Mahi at Kona and the chef was able to substitute Tamarid sauce for the Soy Sauce (regular soy sauce is brewed and contains wheat) without having to sacrifice flavor. Both chefs personally brought to our tables tapioca rolls that I was able to eat and made sure I had my own dipping sauce that would not be contaminated. I think all around Disney does a GREAT job at accommodating anyone with a food allergy. :cutie:

lovindonald
07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
DD is peanut allergic and the best place we encountered was 1900 Park Fare. The chef immediately came out and went through the entire buffet with me. He was wonderful and told me to ask for him if I had any further questions. I was walked through the buffet at Chef Mickeys (breakfast) and they were unconcerned with the whole allergy thing. It was more of a pain in the neck for them. Maybe it was just the CM that was there, but I was not impressed with them at all.

Simba's Mom
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I can't speak from personnal experience, but one time when I was eating at Coral Reef, there was a young boy at the next table with food allergies (nut, I think). The chef came out and discussed everything with them, and after he left, the family was talking among themselves and saying how this was the best treatment they'd received of any resturaunt they'd been to at WDW. It sounded like they'd been there several days and they were very pleased. I know this is second hand info, but they were so positively impressed, I wanted to pass it on.

HaleyB
07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
The Chef at Pop Century was excellent. He really worked to come up with options for us. This was during Free Dining so he was super busy, but he made me feel like I was his only worry.

At the Coral Reef they made my son a brownie. He is allergic to tree nuts and milk, most desserts at WDW are a no go for him so this was huge. It came to the table warm even. He was thrilled.

At Cape May (our last meal two years ago) we mentioned that he was envious of his sister's Mickey waffles, and the Chef asked me if I trusted her to clean a griddle, so she could make him safe Mickey head waffles, I did, and he was thrilled.

At Boma the chef went out of her way to make him a variety of things and his plate was beautiful. They also brought him some safe candies for dessert.

At Sci Fi they made him a most excellent fruit plate as an appetizer.

tinkerbellblondie19
07-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, you know that Sprite itself is safe, but you don't know which plant the Sprite used at Disney is coming from, so if it was made at a plant that makes something with nuts, there is always the risk of cross-contamination. Also, if Disney were to take that risk of letting you order drinks before speaking to the chef, the risk is higher that something could happen, and were something to happen, it would seriously damage Disney's rep.

JennyDrake
07-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Our first morning I had the chef at Boma come talk to me about my allergies (corn, barley, soy and msg). I was disappointed that he didn't realize that a lot of foods use corn starch, corn syrup, etc. I pretty much know what I can and cannot eat.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. As a kid I was allergic to corn and allll those by products--so few people know just what all contained dextrose, etc. Thankfully, I outgrew it, but I remember it being tough.

JD3419
07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
We have had good and not so good experiences. At Ohana's the chef came out and it seemed like a chore to him. He bascially said what we could and couldn't eat and that was it. Boma's was the exact opposite. We have gone there several times and each time the chef remembers us, even with months between our visits. It's like coming home to family. He slowly walks us through the buffet and even brings out something special to our table.

kyirish25
07-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree that WDW is the best in dealing with food allergies! However, we have had some chefs that you could tell were tired of going through the motions of the allergies.

DS has allergies to peanuts and tree nuts.

Best experiences:
Citrico's
Artist Point
50's Prime Time
Chef Mickey's (Allan is wonderful, he has a child with food allergies so he really understands!)

Not on-par experiences:
1900 Park Fare - could tell chef would rather be doing something else. Lots of sighs while walking through buffet line.
WCC - new chef and he didn't know the menu. He brought out a paper with all the allergens listed and just handed to us to review.

laughinplace199
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
We've had great experiences almost everywhere we've eaten at WDW. I don't know if you can say one restaurant does it better than another. I think it depends on the actual chef and/or server you're dealing with at that particular moment. I have a DD with peanut and tree nut allergies. We had a great experience at CP for breakfast last year. It was so great that I recommended it to my friend. So my friend went to CP for breakfast a few weeks later with her allergic child and had a terrible experience. We did not have the same chef. So, I think it's really more like which chefs handle allergies best, not which restaurants handle them best.

I always try to remember the names of the chefs we speak to on vacation and then I write a letter to Disney describing our experiences and mentioning by name the chefs that helped us. We have been able to eat out without worrying at WDW, which is such a treat for us. I want to be sure that WDW knows we appreciate their efforts and that they will continue to provide such great service to families like mine. Now that DD is older, she is going to start writing her own letters to WDW too.

mom2fivecs
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
We have had some really great experiences dealing with ds's peanut allergy and then some so-so ones as well. Chef Mickeys was one the top, along with Pop Century Food Court and Biergarten. So-so would be O'hanas breakfast, would not feel comfortable there for dinner, and Chefs de France, made us feel we were bothering them. But overall, I would say the restaurants at Disney are far more accomadating than some of our places here at home.

gigi1313
07-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Chef Mickey's (Allan is wonderful, he has a child with food allergies so he really understands!)

i agree, and mentioned Chef Allan in my previous post as well... he's the BEST!! he was great fun too and even gave us his autograph (in ds' autograph book) and we snapped a photo, which we sent to him w/our thank you note! :)

Cupmom
07-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I think all our chefs were great last summer when we went. My husband is allergic to pine nuts and at each TS the chef came out and let him know what was safe. We ate at WWC,CM,CS,Tepp.MM,Ohana and CP each time the chef came out and was very helpful.

Scornelius
07-05-2007, 08:50 PM
My husband has an allergy to fish, and we only had a problem with it once. At almost every restaurant the chef would come out and explain the menu to us. When we were at the Garden Grill, we knew the platter came with fish so we asked for chicken fingers instead. Dh's allergy was on the reservation, we mentioned it to the podium attendant, and again to our waiter. He assured us that he would take care of it. This was the one place the chef didn't personally talk with us. And wouldn't you know, it was the one time they screwed up! :rolleyes: You guessed it, they brought out the fish! That irritated me enough, but then when I pointed it out to the waiter, he tried to tell me it was chicken.:scared1: No, I can tell the difference between chicken and fish, thank you very much. Especially after I saw a kid getting the classic, seen every where in WDW chicken fingers-- they didn't look a thing like the fish!

CPM
07-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I have always had great attention given to my food allergies at WDW. We tend to eat in the same restaurants while there, Spoodles, flying Fish, Boma and Kona.
I think it's great the chef comes out, he/she is the one ultimately responsible, so I'm sure they are just making sure.

The only place I remember having a problem was the Concourse Steakhouse, I asked if there was garlic in the french onion soup and the server said no, when I got it I could smell and see the large chunks of garlic in it:mad:
Servers really should know what is in the food! And, if they don't they should ask.

I remember a case in Ma. where a pizza chain was sued because the server told a guest that was allergic to nuts, that the sauce didn't contain any. The guest died from that allergy. It should be up to the management to well train the staff on menu items. It's a serious matter.

Starr_DJ
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree that it is wonderful that WDW is so concerned about food allergies. However, most people (adults at least) know what they can and cannot eat. I am allergic to many foods (nothing life-threatening thank goodness, just enough to make my life miserable), so I am always cautious when we go out to eat. I don't usually let the people know I have allergies, but I do ask for plain items. When we were at Yachtsman Steakhouse last summer I asked the waiter for a plain chicken breast with nothing on it (spices, seasonings, etc.). The chef came out and made a big deal about it, asking what my allergies were, and actually forbidding me from eating a dessert I wanted to have since they could not guarantee what was in it. It was nice of them to be so concerned, but I think they went a little overboard with me. For those of you with life-threatening allergies, don't worry about eating at WDW - they will definitely look after you!

nephthys43
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
i have a peanut allergy and the chef at the brown derby came out and personally spoke with me and informed me that the entire restaurant was peanut-free for me that day. i was seriously impressed.

LuckyMamaInDE
07-06-2007, 09:14 AM
DD12 has developed food allergies in the past six months. We were at WDW 30 days after her initial diagnosis and I had NO idea what to expect. I was prepared with information from Brenda Bennett and from online searching.

DD is allergic to soy, sesame, peanut, hazelnut and watermelon. Soy is in everything (it's like corn). Sesame is still not required to be on labels (it can be hidden in "natural flavoring" for example). We were very dependent on the chefs at the various table service restaurants AND on the ingredient binders at every counterservice location.

We ate at Boma, Crystal Palace, Akershus, Kona, 50s Prime Time, Marrakesh and Raglan Road. We had very good experiences with the chefs coming out to talk directly with dd12 (and not just dh and I---made her feel more normal than she had in the previous month) at all restaurants but Marrakesh and Raglan Road. At those two restaurants, just the server talked to us. That didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I was so impressed with Cosmic Ray's that we ate there twice. Both times the manager personally got freshly steamed carrots (they're tossed with a dressing containing sesame and soy) and stood over the rest of our food, watching it while holding the carrots, then carried the trays over to me. I almost cried the first time because I had been so stressed about the food issue.

Cindy's Mom
07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Yea but as good as WDW is with treating food allergies - I still CAN NOT believe that they conduct those pirate cruise for CHILDREN and they serve Peanut Butter. There is NO WAY in the world I am sending DD6.5 out there when there is peanut dust in the air. I've called several times and they say my DD would get a plain jelly sandwich, but they're missing the point. Why do they have to serve peanuts when children can die from contact of the nut? :confused3

DeeCeeSW
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Yea but as good as WDW is with treating food allergies - I still CAN NOT believe that they conduct those pirate cruise for CHILDREN and they serve Peanut Butter. There is NO WAY in the world I am sending DD6.5 out there when there is peanut dust in the air. I've called several times and they say my DD would get a plain jelly sandwich, but they're missing the point. Why do they have to serve peanuts when children can die from contact of the nut? :confused3

Ooops, be careful when you bring up peanuts and the Pirate Cruise on these boards, Cindy's Mom. I did once and it caused quite an uproar...get your flame retardant suit on!

disneynewbeemom
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM

I completely agree with you! I have two boys who would love the pirates cruise, but there is no way I would even consider sending them on a boat where peanuts are served. I too am so surprised that Disney just doesn't stop serving PBJ sandwiches on these cruises. Or at least have one boat that is completely peanut free.

MeLaNie9
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
DD12 has developed food allergies in the past six months. We were at WDW 30 days after her initial diagnosis and I had NO idea what to expect. I was prepared with information from Brenda Bennett and from online searching.

DD is allergic to soy, sesame, peanut, hazelnut and watermelon. Soy is in everything (it's like corn). Sesame is still not required to be on labels (it can be hidden in "natural flavoring" for example). We were very dependent on the chefs at the various table service restaurants AND on the ingredient binders at every counterservice location.

We ate at Boma, Crystal Palace, Akershus, Kona, 50s Prime Time, Marrakesh and Raglan Road. We had very good experiences with the chefs coming out to talk directly with dd12 (and not just dh and I---made her feel more normal than she had in the previous month) at all restaurants but Marrakesh and Raglan Road. At those two restaurants, just the server talked to us. That didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I was so impressed with Cosmic Ray's that we ate there twice. Both times the manager personally got freshly steamed carrots (they're tossed with a dressing containing sesame and soy) and stood over the rest of our food, watching it while holding the carrots, then carried the trays over to me. I almost cried the first time because I had been so stressed about the food issue.

OMG I am so happy to read this - our DS is 8 months and is severely allergic to milk and also allergic to eggs. He was officially diagnosed right around the time we booked our upcoming trip. He will be 1 year old by then and I have been just terrified, confused, etc. about feeding him on this trip (and at home for that matter because at this point he's just eating baby food and soy formula so I haven't had to prepare anything for him). We have been in contact with Brenda Bennett and the head WDW chef, but hearing about real experiences is just so helpful. I have been so stressed about his, specifically for CS places (we are going to be on the DDP) so it is great to hear that efforts are made of allergic folks at those places as well! Frankly, I will be so so happy to have chefs come out to talk with me about what I can feed him!

kyirish25
07-11-2007, 08:27 AM

I'm with you on this! Not like they would allow a gun to be on board and for our children peanuts are exactly the same. Maybe we have taught them well enough not to touch it, but just maybe they will pick it up and take a closer look. Maybe they will lay it back down and nothing happen or maybe they pull the trigger (eat the peanut) and end up dead.

Using the gun theory is about the only way I have gotten others to realize how serious this is.

DeeCeeSW
07-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Wow, I wish you guys were around when I was being belittled and told to not to be so "selfish" when I brought up the issue of peanuts and the GF Pirate Cruise last year. :confused3

But this is not about me...OP, WDW handles food allergies VERY well (with the exception of their policies regarding the pirate cruises). We have brought our DS (allergic to peanuts, eggs and shellfish, and at one time, wheat and gluten, now resolved) for the past 6 years and felt completely comfortable with him eating at the parks and restaurants. Every establishment has a book with a complete list of allergens/ingredients found in the food they serve and the CMs (at least the majority I've dealt with) are more than happy to assist you.

I've had GREAT experiences with the chefs at 'Ohana, Cape May, Chef Mickey's and Boma in particular.

Have a great trip!

yasmina
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I completely agree with you! I have two boys who would love the pirates cruise, but there is no way I would even consider sending them on a boat where peanuts are served. I too am so surprised that Disney just doesn't stop serving PBJ sandwiches on these cruises. Or at least have one boat that is completely peanut free.

I paid almost $400 2 years ago for my dds (at the time 7 & 9 yo) to attend. My husband had to take them, as I have an airborn allergy to peanuts and other tree nuts. It broke my heart not to go with them, I cried the whole time they were there (although DH loved being the only guy in the room - except for the piano player :laughing: ). When we got home from the trip, I got an survey email from Disney. I responded that everything was wonderful, but suggested that they could perhaps make one day a week at the tea party w/o PBJ. Never heard back from them.

Last year, our younger daughter was diagnosed with peanut allergy also. She had been in Sunday school making peanut butter pine cones to feed the birds. She didn't eat any, but just being in the room, she blew up like a balloon. Thank goodness she got to do the tea party before that.

Ohana's was the only restaurant where the chef came out. I was very impressed, as I've never seen that before. As a 40-something adult, I've lived with this allergy all my life and don't expect any special accomodations, but ask for clarification on food ingredients if I suspect any nut products at all. I am glad, however, that most airlines no longer serve peanuts for snacks. I once got sick just being on a plane where people were eating them. I'm teaching my daughter the same attitude also.

I love the gun analogy. I'm also very glad that schools have started to make accomodations for allergies. If anyone is interested (I won't go into it here), I can tell you a story about the home ec. teacher from you-know-where.

Two weeks from today we'll be on our way to the happiest place on earth. Yippee!:yay:

Cindy's Mom
07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Wow, I wish you guys were around when I was being belittled and told to not to be so "selfish" when I brought up the issue of peanuts and the GF Pirate Cruise last year. :confused3

I can't believe that people would call you selfish. I have taken the PB&J on the pirate cruises as my personal crusade. If you EVER find yourself in a thread about this topic and people aren't kind. PM me and I'll be there in a flash to defend our lefe threatend peanut allergy children. Sorry you had to be flamed back then. :goodvibes :goodvibes