PDA

View Full Version : We LOVED Sci-Fi so much we ate there 2 times! - But NOT for the food ;)

TruBlu
06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
We had lunch scheduled at Sci-Fi about mid-way thru our trip. We absolutely loved it! The atmosphere was fun and the food was decent.

We were paying OOP, so no appetizers. DH had a smoked turkey sandwich with fries that he said was just OK. I had a burger with fries that was really good! You can choose from a list of toppings. I had mushrooms and swiss. It was very juicy, a little greasy... an excellent burger! DH and I shared an amazingly good oreo milkshake for dessert. It was thick, rich and delish. DS5 had a hot dog, fries, and ice cream. The hotdog looked OK - but he just eats them plain. He ate a lot! DS8 had a burger, fries, and ice cream. They both got a side of pickles which our waiter brought out in a small plastic cup. Both boys really enjoyed their food and the movie clips.

They loved it so much that they talked me into making another ADR for later in the trip. We had to eat at 9:55pm! :scared1: But we like to stay in the parks until they make us leave anyway, so we figured we would go for it.

I'm not sure if it was too late to eat, or if dinner just isn't as good as lunch. :confused3 But I wish we had kept our Marrakesh 6 pm reservation!

The boys had the same thing. DS5 fell asleep eating.
I had the artichoke dip, shrimp pasta, and sundae. DH had the chili, chicken ceasar salad, and apple crisp. Both appetizers were very, very good. The rest was not so good. My shrimp was so salty that I couldn't eat it. The pasta was very firm and had little sauce. DH said that the salad was just OK. He said mine at home are better, and I use the bagged ones with the dressing that comes in the bag. My sundae was very good and DH liked his dessert as well. We still loved the restaurant and will definitely return - for lunch 2 times on the next trip! :goodvibes

wilma-bride
06-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks for posting - frome everything I've read, the general concensus seems to be that you go there for the atmosphere and the food is nothing special. We had an ADR there last October, which we cancelled after reading several negative reviews. I still think I would give it a try, though, as the kids would love the idea of eating a meal in a car

Minniespal
06-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanx for the review. We ate at Sci Fi during our last trip. The food was ok and so was the atmosphere. Having done it once not in a rush to return.

MeetMrsMasters
06-29-2007, 12:48 PM
We went just the two of us and absolutely loved it! The milkshakes were really tasty! The atmosphere was very fun and we thought about going again on our next trip but since we will have the kids we decided not to do it. The way the seats are set up like cars, it is not possible for four people to sit together and face one another. That was the only fall back we can think of. When the kids are teenagers I am sure we will consider it an upside! :rotfl:

oybolshoi
06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for sharing - the hubby and I have a lunch reservation at Sci-Fi in October. We thought it looked like a fun place to check out and we're desperate to try one of those $10 alcoholic milkshakes! :thumbsup2

intrep93
06-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't know how old your kids are - we went last fall with our 2 oldest (7 & 9 at the time) and it was great. We had them both sit in the front and at the end of the meal our server brought them each a "driver's license". I love free souveniers!! Of course this wouldn't work with really little kids, and it is nice to be able to sit a visit during a meal sometimes, but with the video clips showing, the kids were plenty entertained to stay sitting and behave! We went for lunch and the food was OK, but you definitely go to this one for the atmosphere - not the food!

Tree
07-01-2007, 07:00 AM
We were there last Sunday for lunch. The food was ok Hubby and I had burgers and the boys had hot dogs.

The boys 8 and 5 yr old twins loved it! Of all the resturants they thought that was the best place ever.

The service was a little slow in my opinion. We had reservations at 11:15am and were in there until almost 1pm.

Booknut
07-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the review! We haven't been there yet but i'm looking forward to it one day!

I would probably pay OOP as well, don't think i'd waste a TS there, i'd just have a burger and shake (kinda hard to mess those up I feel!).

Do you think a younger kid (under 5) would like it in there or do you think they need to be a bit older to enjoy it?

pasgt21
07-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I have to agree for the most part. the atmosphere is really something to see and its nice and cold on those hot summer days but as for the food we were not happy at all .. we used the DDP and found it a poor valuefor a table service dinner on the DDP plus for some reason they sat our party of 3 in a car with 3 rows then sat strangers in the back row of "our" car we did not enjoy sharing our dinner conversation with strangers..

Blondie
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
We've made it a point to have lunch at Sci-Fi on every trip. Even though the food is mediocre at best, it's the atmosphere we go for! We love the theming and campy B movie snipits.

I do wish they'd get a new menu though!

BlindTyldak
07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I will say this for Sci-Fi: they're consistant. Consistantly mediocre, but consistant! XD

If you go there with the idea that you're going to get something along the lines of Applebees on a bad night, you won't be disappointed. Their appetizers and milkshakes seem to be always above par though, so I like to go in for just a filling snack at an off time.

TruBlu
07-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I will say this for Sci-Fi: they're consistant. Consistantly mediocre, but consistant! XD

If you go there with the idea that you're going to get something along the lines of Applebees on a bad night, you won't be disappointed. Their appetizers and milkshakes seem to be always above par though, so I like to go in for just a filling snack at an off time.That's a good description of the food. I wish they offered the burger as dinner. I think we are going to stick with lunch from now on.