PDA

View Full Version : 50's prime time worth the visit??

mom2my3kids
06-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I am trying to get rid of one of my ADR's and to me 50's looks like fun but the food does not look that good compared to my other ADR's...What do you think??

Ohana
Boma
Mama Melrose Fantasmic Package
Nine Dragons-We love Chinese
Wolf Gang Pucks
Liberty Tree Tavern-MNSSHP
Crystal Palace Breakfast-last day
Kona

MickeyNicki
06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I would do 50's over Mama Melrose any day of the week.

Cyndibear
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM

I agree!! Much, much better food at Prime Time.

tacomaranch
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
We had the worst waitress at Mama's. Her attitude really did ruin our meal. She was horrible. Our food took almost 45 minutes to arrive. She came by to welcome us and we didn't see her for 17 minutes. No drinks, nothing.

Never again.

We love 50's, the people are nice, the place is light and colourful and we had nice food. The only bad thing was that the waitress did try to use our son's disability to get us to buy the glow ice cubes and it struck a band chord with me.

50's is better!

ParkPrincess
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
ABSOLUTELY!! Everyone should try 50s at least once. It definitely is a different dining experience. I, personally, didn't care for the food that much. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't my taste. Now, my DH enjoyed it and so did my parents. You should definitely try it!!

vickalamode
06-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Do you have 50's style diners near where you live? I know that they're very common here in New England, and my family actually owns one/I work in one. If it is something you can do at home, I would skip it for something that you can't really get anywhere else, like the Sci-Fi Dine in Theater, which is also at MGM. I've been to both and I like the food and atmosphere better at Sci Fi.

Suzanna1973
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
You will love it!!!! We went on our last trip and I must say the pot roast is to DIE FOR!!! The children's menu is amazing too!! My DNephew was 4 at the time( a very picky picky eater) and he loved the menu selections!!

You can find their menu on allears.

Disney Hot Mama
06-28-2007, 06:51 PM

We go every time we are at WDW. We love the food and the fun. Did Mama Melrose's and never again!!!!
I especially love their fried chicken platter but ask for the green beans vs. the collard greens... :)
Have fun.......

Jenn Lynn
06-28-2007, 06:52 PM
We love 50's PT and it is a must do on all of our trips. In fact I chose it for my Birthday lunch in July. :)

We have also tried Mama Melrose and, while our experience was good, we would choose 50's PT over it.

dr&momto2boys
06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I definately think it's worth it. They have some unique things on their menu including drinks and desserts. And it's not just 50's themed, but the wait staff keeps you entertained. I would argue that it's not an experience that you could get anywhere else. If it's only gourmet food your after, then it's probably not your place.

jess20k
06-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I would NOT HESITATE to choose Prime Time over Mama Melrose's...and Nine Dragons. I know that you mentioned that you like Chinese food, but I just wanted to mention that we thought the food was less than average compared to the standard Chinese food that we get at home.

We dined at Prime Time twice, and both times we enjoyed it. It was a fun atmosphere, plus the food was yummy. We ordered the fried chicken both times!!!:goodvibes

mom2my3kids
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I would NOT HESITATE to choose Prime Time over Mama Melrose's...and Nine Dragons. I know that you mentioned that you like Chinese food, but I just wanted to mention that we thought the food was less than average compared to the standard Chinese food that we get at home.

We dined at Prime Time twice, and both times we enjoyed it. It was a fun atmosphere, plus the food was yummy. We ordered the fried chicken both times!!!:goodvibes

Love your pic of crab fishing..:hippie:

mbcary
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree with everyone else. 50's PT is much better than Mama Melrose. I also had not so great service when I was there. I love the menu at 50's though. I love that home cooked food. I also agree with Jessica, that Nine Dragons is no different than what you can get at home. Enjoy!!

LovingDVC
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
We tried 50's Prime Time for the first time in August 2006 and were pleased with using the DDP there. The appetizers were fair, but the main entree was plentiful and tasted great. My mom and 2 yr old DD really liked the milkshake for dessert. I chose the meatloaf and there was plenty of food to share with my DD who was not on the DDP.

We are going to WDW in December, and my mom said that she wanted to go back to this restaurant. That's saying a lot.

BTW, we also love Liberty Tree Tavern (go there everytime) and Ohana's. My DD, DH, and I love the character experience at LLT and the food. Ohana's food was great, too. My DD loved the sausage and dessert, but didn't eat much of anything else. The food was a big crowd pleaser for the adults in our party. We haven't tried the others on your list, so I cannot comment on those.

Starr_DJ
06-29-2007, 01:26 AM
DH and I did not care for Prime Time at all. Part of the reason may be because we had a new waiter who seemed nervous the whole evening. The food was OK, definitely not great. We enjoyed Sci-Fi a whole lot better. I have never been to any of the other restaurants on your list, but I think it would be fine to take 50's off the list.

cherokeemamma
06-29-2007, 01:36 AM
We love the 50's. :thumbsup2 Eaten there twice and both times our food has been great and we love the interaction with the CMs. I think it is a really fun and unusual place to eat. My kids loved it also. Our first time in 2005, my kids asked our waitress if she was insane.:lmao: It is a must do for us!

Like some else posted they have unusual flavors of shakes...you must try the Peanut Butter & Jelly Shake

mzliza3
06-29-2007, 07:00 AM
The 50s Primetime can be a lot of fun, ifthe servers play along to the theme. The is just basic diner food with big portions. If you have picky eaters, they'll love it. We've been there 3 times, and 2 out of the 3 times we loved it. The one time we weren't too thrilled was when we had a rather put upon waiter who wasn't playing along & it pretty much ruined the whole meal. I've booked the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package, too, & I'm now kind of leary about it. We've never been there before but chose it because 50s Primetime wasn't one of our choices for the package. Wolfgang Puck, O'Hana, Liberty Tavern- loved all of them. Although Nine Dragons was beautiful inside, the food was mediocre. There's lots of great, inexpensive Chinese restaurants around the Disney area if you're hankering for Chinese(and who isn't?):).