PDA

View Full Version : Yachtsman Steakhouse-bug in food

edjbiologist
06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for some help. I ate earlier this month at one of my favorite restaurants at WDW the Yachtsman. We discovered a bug in my nephew's salad and were completely grossed out.

We were offered a new salad. Uhhh, no thanks.

At the end of the meal, the manager came over and told us that they great fresh salad every day and they wash it. She started to imply that maybe we put the bug in our own food.

Guess what her idea of service recovery was...nothing. Not even a free dessert. We even had to make sure we weren't going to be charged for the bug salad.

Finally the waitress, who was very excellent, took 10% off the bill.

I would like to write Disney.

Does anyone know where I can find email addresses or physical addresses to complain to Disney?

prncess674
06-28-2007, 09:27 AM

[snip]

Guess what her idea of service recovery was...nothing.She offered you a fresh salad, please don't say she offered you nothing. You also received 10% off your bill. Waitresses can't just take percentages off your bill willy nilly, I am sure that was done under the direction of the manager. I have also found that in situations like this, if you know what will make you feel whole again (e.g., a free dessert) then ASK FOR ONE. Managers can't read minds.

kapoof
06-28-2007, 09:30 AM
not that is matters too much but was it a big bug or a gnat like bug. i know sometimes even at the grocery store those little ones can stick to the lettuce. the salad should have been throughly washed however.

the restaurant was good in taking 10% off. i wouldn't have expected a free dessert though.

hope your next trip is better...

anny_c_99
06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
to us one time at a Bob Evans. We didn't get upset over it though. We just asked for a new salad, but we did recieve it free.

I guess these things happen more often than not...

Here's hoping your next trip will be better...:goodvibes

edjbiologist
06-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, thanks for your support.

First of all, if I would have accepted the "new" salad, I would have still paid for it, so no I didn't consider it a concession.

And as fas as being a silly whatever, I know the manager had to okay the the % off but may waitress had to harangue her into it.

I am sorry that I am not allowed to vent my frustration that my family found bugs in their food, a meal that I had to work very hard to pay for.

kapoof
06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
none of the responses you got were nasty, or even angry. :confused3

jarestel
06-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Nobody likes bugs in their food, there's absolutely no question about that! The question is how far does Disney need to go in order to make amends? The offered solution of a "fresh", bug-free salad and 10% off the bill would seem sufficient.

Out of curiosity, what would seem a fair solution to you?

kapoof
06-28-2007, 10:16 AM
to the op i am curious as you mentioned you wanted to contact disney..what would you say "there was a bug in my salad and they offered me a new salad and gave me 10% off!!! how dare they! '

i know everyone has had some incident at all kinds of restaurants before. i had something weird in my ice tea at a very nice place and the waiter got me a new drink and said he was sorry and that was that.

don't get too upset over this...its not worth it.

have a better trip next time.

prncess674
06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Nobody likes bugs in their food, there's absolutely no question about that! The question is how far does Disney need to go in order to make amends? The offered solution of a "fresh", bug-free salad and 10% off the bill would seem sufficient.

Out of curiosity, what would seem a fair solution to you?
I am curious to know as well. :confused3

The point is venting and stewing a month later about a bug is really a bit much. They offerred another salad and 10% off. I have learned that in situations like this asking for something specific at the time of the incident is the best solution. If a free dessert would have made you happy, then ask for one. I am sure they would have happily obliged.

Making people guess what you want as compensation is just silly. For example, I was traveling on business and ordered room service. They put the wrong dressing on my salad. It wasn't a bad dressing, it was just the wrong dressing. I still ate the salad. The food and beverage manager called and said he would comp my meal. I politely declined but said he could give me a few hundred hotel Starwood Preferred Guest points in my account. My meal was already "free" to me since I expense all my meals on the road, but hotel points are something I can use in the future, which made me happy.

mom2my3kids
06-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I think the waitress took care of it, she did not charge you for the salad and also took 10 percent off the bill. Things happen, Yes hair can get into food even with a cap on and bugs can also.. It happens, just like it could happen at home..I don't think you should write a letter, I think they took care of the problem. There are some people out there that want free food, as a server I see it all the time. I have even seen people put hair in their food.. Yesss I know, I am no way saying the OP did this. But I have had my fair share of people wanting something for nothing..

asmarykay
06-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I have found that life is so much simpler when I just deal with things as they happen - when I am not happy with a situation - like the OP - I ask for the manager and explain the situation and ask for what I want - in this case I would have explained that my child no longer wanted a salad, but that maybe they could have ice cream after their dinner instead. I find that when issues are dealt with swiftly and with a good attitude they are usually resolved. :goodvibes

DizzDoll
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Restaurants attracts bugs and other less desirable critters. Nature of the beast. No matter how well washed and prepared a salad is, a bug will wander in. I've had an Italian dressing covered grasshopper wander out of my salad in a very nice restaurant not long ago. They took the salad off the bill and didn't even charge for the grasshopper (free protein, in their books;) ).

eliza61
06-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

I am looking for some help. I ate earlier this month at one of my favorite restaurants at WDW the Yachtsman. We discovered a bug in my nephew's salad and were completely grossed out.

At the end of the meal, the manager came over and told us that they great fresh salad every day and they wash it. She started to imply that maybe we put the bug in our own food.

Guess what her idea of service recovery was...nothing. Not even a free dessert. We even had to make sure we weren't going to be charged for the bug salad.

Finally the waitress, who was very excellent, took 10% off the bill.

I would like to write Disney.

Does anyone know where I can find email addresses or physical addresses to complain to Disney?

Op,
Try wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
or
Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive VP of Walt disney world Operations
1375 Buena vista dr.
Lake Buena Vista, Florida, 32830.

Keep the letter short and sweet. Date, time, location of problem. No longer than 1 page. Unfortunately I'm not sure what they can do at this late date but at least let them know.

Good luck

Robert P
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I think the waitress took care of it, she did not charge you for the salad and also took 10 percent off the bill. Things happen, Yes hair can get into food even with a cap on and bugs can also.. It happens, just like it could happen at home..I don't think you should write a letter, I think they took care of the problem. There are some people out there that want free food, as a server I see it all the time. I have even seen people put hair in their food.. Yesss I know, I am no way saying the OP did this. But I have had my fair share of people wanting something for nothing..

ITA with this statement.
A bug was in the salad. They took it away, and you weren't charged for it. It's not like anyone ATE the bug. And, the waitress got the 10% discount for you. While I don't agree with the manager downplaying it at all, I am not sure what you wanted her to do either? What do you feel would have been proper in this circumstance? And, why didn't you let her know that?

A letter to WDW this late after the fact, I think, is just too late for helping to rectify the situation.

1018scr
06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I received a salad at one of our favorite restaurants near the beach we go to every summer. When I started eating it, I saw a lady bug in it. When I told the server, she said it was good luck to have a lady bug in your salad. My husband and I still laugh about this and we still eat at this restaurant every summer.

MommySiobhan
06-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Sorry. It's always gross to find something in your food. Eww.

However, they did compensate IMO by giving you 10% off of your bill and offering a new salad.:cutie:

The only thing I can see that may have worked differently is how the manager handled it. If you had the feeling she was accusing you as you stated then obviously her tone and wording were not entirely appropriate for the situation.

Having been a restaurant manager, I always found that if there were a problem, I would ask the customer "What can I do for you to make this situation better?" or something along those lines. As long as their request was in reason, I'd go for it. I'd rather have customers come back and leave happy.

NMW
06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
If you feel it's that important, write to Disney. Not charging you for the salad and replacing it and taking 10% off the bill seems like an appropriate response. If they did nothing, that would be another story.

We had some kind of bug in one of those Dole bags of salad last week and they claim to be triple washed-oh well.

When I was pregnant and therefore easily queasy, I ate half a container of Happy Family from a Chinese restaurant before I found a huge dead fly in it. As my husband pointed out, it was summer, they did have the doors open, flys fly in, etc. He told me that they probably didn't "cook" it with the food, but that it probably landed on on the food before they put the lid on the container and then they just sealed the container-fly and all. Also, bright side-I didn't actually EAT the fly. THIS was suppossed to make me feel better as I stood over the kitchen sink, dry heaving! I did not call the restaurant to complain, but it was a year before I could order food from there again. We get chinese about once a week, lots of times from that place, and it has never happened since. :goodvibes

edjbiologist
06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
The only thing I am upset about is the manager's attitude.

I want nothing from Disney.

I guess I am, apparently, one of the few people who thinks that a manager should be friendly and helpful when dealing with an incident, not rude and accusational.

I know I would want to know if people were having a problem with my employees.

I think you have all been a little hostile to this post but I very much appreaciate the one poster that listed contact information for me.

I don't feel I need to justify myself, but I am also planning on writing a very complimentary letter about good service I received too.

This will be my last post on Dis boards as this has been a very disappointing response from the posters. I certainly don't get any Disney magic from this site or the posters.

mtry
06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
I think, you probably would have been happy with 10% off but am I wrong in saying That"s NOT THE POINT, maybe you are so upset at the accusation and the bug is now not the problem. Maybe had the manager handled the situation with more diplomacy you would not have been insulted, after all you got a bug in your salad, then insulted. I would be bothered more to be insulted than to have a bug in my salad. In your defense, if you hadn't felt accused or needing to defend yourself I would bet you would have left happy with your 10%. So if you are stewing its because of how you were treated. Maybe I am wrong. Let me know.

kapoof
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM

I guess I am, apparently, one of the few people who thinks that a manager should be friendly and helpful when dealing with an incident, not rude and accusational.

I think you have all been a little hostile to this post but I very much appreaciate the one poster that listed contact information for me.

I don't feel I need to justify myself, but I am also planning on writing a very complimentary letter about good service I received too.

This will be my last post on Dis boards as this has been a very disappointing response from the posters. I certainly don't get any Disney magic from this site or the posters.

i repeat , no one here has been hostile to you. in fact most wished you a great trip next time! we just didn't jump on your ban wagon. if you don't post again that is your choice, but pouting about it isn't the answer. all these posters for your thread have been very nice.

Robert P
06-28-2007, 03:04 PM

1 - your OP never stated that the manager was why you were wanting to write the letter.
2 - nobody has been hostile or angry toward you. most people appear to have been trying to figure out what compensation were expecting for the bug incident.
3 - most posters just have not jumped on your bandwagon, as already stated by kapoof.

To quote Randall from Clerks, "You'll be missed."

Peter Pirate 2
06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
edjbiologist, I agree that folks have been a bit harsh with you and I find it sad that so many people are accepting of such POOR management behavior at a supposedly fine disney dining restaurant and this is beside the fact that you found a BUG IN YOUR FOOD.

Personally I think your food should have been comped. Nothing is going to erase the image of finding a bug in your salad and stop the wondering of what else is going on in the kitchen. Anything less and they are telling you "hey, these things happen from time to time, here's 10% off." Not what I want to hear. I want to dine at restaurants that really care about what they serve, how they serve it and the customers satisfaction and are genuinly embarrassed when a negative incident occurs. Yachstmans obviously isn't one of those places.
pirate:

Christopher5927
06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I think you have all been a little hostile to this post

Do you really feel that everyone has been hostile? I beg to differ. Yes, the bug should not have been there, but you were compensated. At least it wasn't half a bug.

kapoof
06-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Do you really feel that everyone has been hostile? I beg to differ. Yes, the bug should not have been there, but you were compensated. At least it wasn't half a bug.:rotfl2:

ElizabethB
06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Peter Pirate 2 is right -- the responses to the OP's post have been rather harsh -- and -- give me a break -- Yachtsman is a lovely, expensive restaurant. One doesn't expect to find a bug in the salad -- and if one does, a responsive manager and a comped meal seem quite appropriate to me. Quibbling over whether to give a 10% discount or not is ridiculous. We're talking a multi-billion (perhaps trillion?) corporation here. Comp the meal and make up for what was obviously a unpleasant experience. In other words -- show some class.

We were at a very popular restaurant in Honolulu once. We were a family group and starting to enjoy our second course and second round of drinks. The course was spring rolls. Grandma picked up her spring roll and found a green worm poking its head our and waving it around -- as if in cheery greeting. When we called the waiter over, he said "Believe it or not, those worms are edible." We did not say another word. En mass our group of 10 rose, left the table and walked out of the restaurant. We didn't pay for drinks, we didn't pay for appetizers already consumed. We simply left in utter shock.

ElizabethB
06-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Oh, and by the way, I could not possibly have eaten a replacement salad after finding a bug in the first one, so the salad offer would have been of no value to me whatsoever.

lostinwonderland
06-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I think the main problem you discribed is the attitude of the manager, implying you were being dishonest. And to be honest if it were me I wouldn't have accepted a new salad, eating one with a bug in it would have put me off a bit. And I think people have been a little rude to you in this thread.

sotoalf
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Stewing about it a month later, then complaining about it, is a bit much. Yes, it's a fine restaurant, but as someone said already, this is Florida, and things DO happen. The waitress comped your salad. Perhaps the manager could have comped your entire meal. Who knows? I have no idea what happened -- if you were overexcited, if the manager was condescending. Besides, you haven't told us what kind of bug it was.

Invoke your sense of humor. Were you to write to Disney, think how silly it would sound to write, "I found a `bug' in my salad, I complained, our salad was replaced, and the salad was comped. I'm still angry."

If I were you, I'd avoid both Yachtmen Steakhouse and A Bug's Life.

sotoalf
06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

Postscript: She didn't seem to be implying anything of the sort. She wanted to assure you that her restaurant wasn't a flophouse -- a perfectly natural reaction.

Mackey Mouse
06-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I think the OP got the answer he was looking for which is where to write when you have a complaint about a restaurant and/or their employees.. I do not want the OP to feel he has to defend his actions on refusing another salad (I certainly would not be able to eat after that) or defend that he felt that the manager handled it inappropriately making him feel like he planted the bug....bottom line there was a bug in the salad, and whether or not that happens all the time, it is still gross.

Pumbaa_
06-28-2007, 09:25 PM
edjbiologist,
I agree that people have posted harshly. I understand exactly what you are feeling. There was a bug in a salad (can I just say ewwwww!!!)! and when it was brought to the attention of the management, instead of being apologetic, you felt that the manager was implying you did it yourself.

That, I believe, is what is still bothering you. When someone questions your integrity, that simmers.

Send the letter to Disney, it is more about getting it off your chest then wanting anything.

I don't think that whether you were comped or not is the issue, it was in the handling. If you had been treated like a person of worth from the beginning, it would have felt much better I am sure.

Hope you stick around!

mtry
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
"edjbiologist,
I agree that people have posted harshly. I understand exactly what you are feeling. There was a bug in a salad (can I just say ewwwww!!!)! and when it was brought to the attention of the management, instead of being apologetic, you felt that the manager was implying you did it yourself.

That, I believe, is what is still bothering you. When someone questions your integrity, that simmers.

Send the letter to Disney, it is more about getting it off your chest then wanting anything.

I don't think that whether you were comped or not is the issue, it was in the handling. If you had been treated like a person of worth from the beginning, it would have felt much better I am sure.

Hope you stick around!

Co-Moderator Restaurant Board

Sorry I copied and pasted...
Anyhow, I think Some people just did not "get" the original post. But Some of us did, Don't worry about the people who didn't "get" the message or the manager, If it makes you feel better as it would me then write the letter. Without being insulting myself, let's just say we are all different and we handle things differently. Only some of us know better. I was happy to read that many people picked up on your issue and were sympathetic. I do feel some posts were not sympathetic and harsh and not even on target.

Muushka
06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I was once at an Outback here in NC. During dinner, a cockroach the size of Rhode Island ran across the table in front of us. My husband discreetly killed it (without a mess).
We then discreetly called the waiter over to give him the, um, corpse. He just said 'thanks' and brought us a coupon for a free appetizer for our next visit.

I thought we handled it superbly. I thought the restaurant should have been very grateful that we did not react to what we saw! I gave the coupon to a friend and we don't eat there anymore.:scared1:

Bugs in food is never good for business. I am not sure how they should handle it, but I was not thrilled with the way Outback handled ours!

tnkr_bell
06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I know I'm a little late on this, but I think the OP was misunderstood. I don't think he was upset about the final outcome, I think he was more upset on the process it took to get the final outcome. Who knows what the manager implied when you're not there to hear their tone of voice and exactly what they said. It just seems to me the whole thing was handled incorrectly. I think the manager should have offered either a new salad or another choice of a side and comped. the meal for the person who had the bug.

It sounded to me in the OP that they had to ask and fight to get the 10% off, so while that was a satisfactory outcome, something like that should have been offered and not fought for.

JMO :hippie:

frannn
06-29-2007, 08:23 PM
at all after seeing the bug. I know every eatery has issues, but that's the last thing I want to have the company of while I'm eating

jjk1107
06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I was once at an Outback here in NC. During dinner, a cockroach the size of Rhode Island ran across the table in front of us. My husband discreetly killed it (without a mess).
We then discreetly called the waiter over to give him the, um, corpse. He just said 'thanks' and brought us a coupon for a free appetizer for our next visit.

I thought we handled it superbly. I thought the restaurant should have been very grateful that we did not react to what we saw! I gave the coupon to a friend and we don't eat there anymore.:scared1:

Bugs in food is never good for business. I am not sure how they should handle it, but I was not thrilled with the way Outback handled ours!
I live in Florida and while we do have a lot of bugs, I do not expect to have them in my food. We ate at a local Outback and there was a small insect crawling on our table. I took the napkin and killed it. I then asked the server for a new napkin since we had to use the one we had to kill a bug. He took the napkin to the manager and explained what happened. The manager came over and apologized profusely and said that our entire meal would be comped. I stated that was not necessary. She then proceeded to tell me that they have a contract with their pest control that states that if a customer finds a bug in the restaurant, the company will reimburse Outback for the meal.

To the OP - You should send a letter to Disney because they need to be made aware of cast members who are not treating the guests with excellent service.

Muushka
06-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Honestly, the reaction you got was what I expected. Most people would have made a big deal about a roach that big, but we basically said nothing. We would have turned down the offer as you did (because I would hate to think they think we complain to be comped), but they just offered the onions.
And lost us as customers. Not too bright.

MasterShake
06-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I have thought long and hard on the matter and I think the only recourse is to destroy all bugs in that area. I feel that if Disney wants my money, they should use such a large quantity of pesticides as to eradicate all bugs from that section of Florida.

The 10% is not solving the problem; the problem is the bug population.

A good manager would have immediately called in a strike force to Napalm the area.

You write the letter and don’t accept anything less then a rubber hose beating for this manager’s insolence.

kapoof
06-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I have thought long and hard on the matter and I think the only recourse is to destroy all bugs in that area. I feel that if Disney wants my money, they should use such a large quantity of pesticides as to eradicate all bugs from that section of Florida.

The 10% is not solving the problem; the problem is the bug population.

A good manager would have immediately called in a strike force to Napalm the area.

You write the letter and donít accept anything less then a rubber hose beating for this managerís insolence.:rotfl2:

Mackey Mouse
06-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I am sure that the previous post by Master Shake was intended to just shed a little humor on this post, but in support of the OP I have to say that if that had happened to me at the Yachtsman restaurant, I might not have been as nice as they were.. If I had thought in anyway that they were implying that I might have planted the bug in my salad, I am not sure I would have let that manager get away with that..

I do not care for this restaurant as my husband and I had one of the worse meals, worse service we have ever had at WDW over our many years of going. I will say that the manager that night did step up to the plate offering us dessert, we refused, and then I believe not charging us for the meal in question. We paid our bill, and we have never gone back. We tipped less than our usual 20% as the server was part of the issue and once the manager was involved, he was falling all over us.. Too much, too late.

I know people enjoy this restaurant, but there are many other restaurants to choose from where you can have a delightful meal and so we have decided to eliminate this one from our choices...... To those who have had great meals there, I think that is terrific and by all means do not let what I say or the OP says sway you from your support, but let's by all means be supportive to a fellow Diser when he has had a bad experience at a restaurant and give them the benefit of the doubt....

septbaby
06-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Not sure OP is even reading this thread anymore since he vowed not to post again here when he didn't get responses as sympathetic as was expected. I wonder if the same thing happened at the restaurant and he tuned out the manager.

- Server offered to replace the salad, offer was declined, OP did not request another substitute (I belive it wasn an appetizer salad)
- Manager came over to address the issue and explain their process for handling food ie. making sure there are no bugs, OP heard the manager suggest he planted the bug (we didn't get a quote of what was said)
- OP was not charged for the salad AND was given a 10% discount

My suggestion would have been to have a quiet discussion with the manager on my way out of the restaurant, about what OP thought was implied. Based on the ultimate handling of the issue I'm not sure that was the manager's intent, even though that was what OP heard. That would have been coachinf for the manager or at least give him or her a chance to explain apologize. The issue really isn't with Disney, its with manager. We're both adults, let's try to salvage this.

To turn this around, did the OP suggest the restaurant did this on purpose? Did the manager react poorly to that? There is certainly no value, not even humor for a restuarant to do something like that, so I take it as an honest mistake. Other posters have indicated finding bugs in triple washed salad that comes in sealed bags from the grocer, the restaurant was probably victim of the same issue.

Sorry you got a bad salad. Sorry you thought the manager was being rude. I just don't get the same feeling based on the info you've shared with us.

Peter Pirate 2
06-30-2007, 10:06 AM
There was a bug in their food for goodness sake! What more is necessary?:confused3 The fact that a manager chose not to bend over backwards to try and salvage the situation is only salt in the wound. How do you think management at Shula's would have reacted? Methinks the meal would have been comped, a follow up from management and a gift certificate offer to try and win back a customer that probably won't return again - because management needs to mollify the guest to prevent exactly what has happened here, bad word of mouth. Now it's too late and if Disney management is reading this there probably should be an opening for a new manager at Yacthsman's very soon.

I know many of you feel differnently but the difference betwen fine dining and Applebee's is much more than JUST food quality and guest service, especially at Disney should be much better than this.
pirate:

karin037
06-30-2007, 10:12 AM

The same thing happen to me at Liberty Tree Tavern in May. There was a really big bug in my salad (link below shows pic of bug). It was really gross. The chef came out and apologized. He told us the same story about how they clean the salad and try to be very careful, but he said this happens sometimes.

I was given a Fastpass good for any 1 attraction. It was good for that day only and only for the MK. It was good for me and my mom. I didn't get any discount off of my food.

http://www1.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=959301183212727096/l=257321375/g=1531129/otsc=SYE/otsi=****

roadtripper
06-30-2007, 11:12 AM
A little OT, but what would the OP have wanted in the form of "service recovery" (and what would Disney have done) if they had been on the free dining plan? Hmm..

Peter Pirate 2
06-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't think the OP cared about comps and such so this is just a general discussion. IMO, the restaurant (any first class restaurant) should go out of its way to repair whatever they can. If they can salvage a customer, great. If the best they can do is show the guest that they are genuinly sorry and prevent excessive bad word of mouth, then so be it. But any restaurant that strives to be great should do whatever they can to repair situations that most certainly should not have happened. A comped meal or a gift certificate is a small price to pay to offset this 4 page discussion of bugs in the food at the Yachtsman restaurant, IMO.
pirate:

Mackey Mouse
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I think since this conversation seems to be taking a turn for the worse... some in support of the OP and others in support of the restaurant.....it is time we just say enough with this thread and lock it. Truly, are we ever going to agree on how much or how little Disney should do for a patron when he finds a bug in his salad? Probably not...