PDA

View Full Version : Your most unexpected expenses

wer2fun
06-26-2007, 01:27 AM
I am leaving in three week for a trip I have waited a lifetime for. It is me, DH, DD13, DD10, DS8, DD3. We have two rooms at CBR.
I was wondering what were some unexpected expenses. I feel like I have learned so much on these boards. There can't possibly be anything I am not planned for. Any surprises I would love to hear.:wizard: :wizard:

LindyN
06-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Laundry money: wet shoes take a long time to dry. Solution is water sandals (I wear Merrells). Also bring your own laundry soal.

OTC medications: Way too pricey at Disney. bring your own. Might want to ensure you have plenty of Mylanta. We're healthy eaters, and when DS was younger he ate too much fried food and not enough fruit/veggies. Always had some sort of abdominal distress after two days. Now I insist on fruit and veggies at each meal and plenty of water to wash it all out.

Rain Ponchos: We bring the cheap camping ponchos.

Have fun!

disneymomof1
06-26-2007, 05:31 AM
We always bring extra batteries for the camera and an extra memory card. Forgot batteries last year and it was about $9.00 for a four pack. We also took some extra money for cabs. At times when the lines for bus back to hotel were super long, we jumped in a cab, we stayed at AKL and it was between 9-12 dollars back to hotel, with no hassle on bus. We are going again in October and plan on doing the cab thing more often. Make sure you pack everything you need, I always do the packing for the family and in Feb. I packed everyone completely, got down to AKL and guess what, Mommy forgot her underwear and prescription sunglasses!! I don't know if you are doing dining plan but be prepared for high food prices. First year we went, not on dining plan, we were very careful with our cash, we don't use credit cards, and on our very last day, we had about $20.00 left, very scary to be far away from home, with not alot of cash, and no credit or ATM cards. Anyway have a great trip and have fun !!:)

bell.of.the.ball
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Sunglasses for you or the kids. Somebody will lose or need a pair. The sun is blinding when you come out of the dark rides

Secondgradememories
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Extra undies for DD - she now owns three packages of Tink undies as we kept forgetting to add an extra (or two) to our day pack. Those long ride lines are tough to leave when you are little! "I can hold it" must have been her silent mantra. Sadly, that was often not the case.:rolleyes1

CrazedDisFan
06-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Invest in a battery charger and 2 sets of rechargable batteries. I bought mine for under $20.00 at Target. They were fantastic. I simply plugged a set in before we left the room each morning. We would always end up baack at the hotel during the day to change, swim, take a break, etc. and I would swap out the batteries. I saved a small fortune by doing this.

SLDL
06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Unless you are really disciplined, I would think you will probably want to spend $$$ on souveniers. I guess maybe each of your kids have a set amount they can spend on souveniers so make sure you have discussed that before leaving. I tend to spend much more than I have budgeted on unexpected souveniers!!

nemesis
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Laundry money: wet shoes take a long time to dry. Solution is water sandals (I wear Merrells). Also bring your own laundry soal.

OTC medications: Way too pricey at Disney. bring your own. Might want to ensure you have plenty of Mylanta. We're healthy eaters, and when DS was younger he ate too much fried food and not enough fruit/veggies. Always had some sort of abdominal distress after two days. Now I insist on fruit and veggies at each meal and plenty of water to wash it all out.

Have fun!

Not to go OT...but how are the laundry facilities at say Wilderness Lodge? Do the washers and dryers clean and dry pretty efficiently?

Thanks!

MomofKatie
06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
For us, the unexpected $$ suckers were:

1- cold medicine. DD and DH both came down with nasty colds while we were in the middle of our weeklong vacation in 2005. I hadn't packed any type of cold meds, so we had to purchase it at the Pop gift shop. I winced as I forked over more than $10 for a 3 day supply of Children's Tylenol Cold, and winced again as I paid even more for the Adult strength stuff. Now, we always carry cold meds with us-enough for the entire trip, if need be.

2- pins!! DD really got bitten by the pin trading bug on our last trip- I didn't think she would want to get into it. We spent lots of $$- and lots of time- at the pin kiosks and stores throughout WDW that week. For our next trip, I went on ebay and got a bunch of pins for much less money than in the parks. DD will keep the ones she likes, and trade the rest.

disney6family
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
We had problems on our earlier trips with laundry quarters, pressed penny quarters and shiny pennies, the rifles and jungle boats at MK, autograph books, pens, passport books, milk, ice, and a variety of other little things that can quickly add up to $100 fast.

We never seem to have a problem with souveniers because each family member gets an allotment and we have a set limit for other souvs to take back. Anything else has to come out of somewhere else in our budget at home, such as our Christmas gift fund or clothes fund if we decide to get shirts, etc.

The biggest unexpected expense for us (and granted this only happened twice over 10 trips to WDW and never any other trip anywhere), but on two different trips, one of my sons (a different one each time) had to go to the hospital, then we had that cost, the prescription, the wheelchair/ double stroller rentals for two days while they regained their strength, - luckily we had room on our credit cards to put the charges while the insurance sorted itself out, so all we were out after a couple months were our normal copays as if this had happened at home. The only extra we had to pay cash for was the rentals in the parks. These experiences taught me to always be prepared (we had always taken a very fully stocked first aid kit that included all the little medicines you might need) and make sure I had a little extra cash (goes down as misc. in our trip budget) and to make sure no matter where we went both my husband and I carried at least one credit card and our own insurance cards. The one time we left straight from the park with Disney transporting us to the urgent care center from their first aid station and my husband and the rest of the family met us there.

Gdad
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I seem to remember paying quite a bit for sunscreen when we forgot to take it once. Also has been said- dry clothes if you plan on water rides- not just in your suitcase but bring them into the park with you.

JennM
06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
My unexpected expense came after our return, when I logged onto Photopass and saw all of the wonderful moments that the photographers captured! I had initially thought we would just get one or two pictures, but now we're ordering the CD ($124.99 - unless I can find a discount somewhere!).

KelleyGirl
06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Sunscreen! We left ours in the hotel room one day and needed to re-apply. My husband swore it must have been laced with gold for the amount of money he had to pay for the little 4 oz bottle!

And ponchos! Our own fault, but we would forget (or choose not to carry) the one's from the day before in hopes that the hot Florida July afternoon skies wouldn't open up on us again :lmao: , and they always did. I would have walked in the rain, but I couldn't do that to the little ones! At one point, we just broke down and bought towels when it stopped! When we pulled out our suitcases for this years trip, they were so heavy... yes, it was the ponchos we saved from the year before.. all 12 of them... :rotfl:

kimis
06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I am leaving in three week for a trip I have waited a lifetime for. It is me, DH, DD13, DD10, DS8, DD3. We have two rooms at CBR.
I was wondering what were some unexpected expenses. I feel like I have learned so much on these boards. There can't possibly be anything I am not planned for. Any surprises I would love to hear.:wizard: :wizard:
One year I needed Maalox really badly and paid way too much for it. I bring it with me now.

Wish2BinWDW
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree with the post about sunglasses. We always end up buying a pair because of losing one. An umbrella is nice to have too, especially when the poncho is too hot in warmer weather. Also bring pain relievers, diarreah meds if someone in your family is susceptible to this ailment, medication from doctor, and if you do laundry bring your own detergent/bleach/dryer sheets because they are expensive at WDW. Bring your own water if you are able, the bottled water they have at the parks is expensive. Another unexpected expense was the light-up toys they sell at nighttime parades and shows. If you can get some of those type toys before you go, you'll save money.
:)
Sherry

eliza61
06-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Water!! We were surprised how intense the Florida heat was in the summer, the first time we went. Then we were shocked at what they wanted to charge for a bottle of water:scared1: I swear the 1st year we spent $100 bucks on bottled water.

pezheadmeg
06-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Sport tape! I have surgical induced tendonitis in my left ankle and you would think know better and pack an ankle brace. 2 trips in a row I of course didn't even think about it. The basic ace bandage in a resort gift shop runs $10!

I don't bring a poncho, but the in the last 2 trips there has been no rain. So I guess I'm just knocking on wood. :rotfl: Though almost every fall I find myself buying a sweatshirt, maybe that's what I should not be leaving behind in the hotel room.

fAnnF
06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
extra party tickets and souviners. When BF and I went down in March, I had budgeted for one night P&P party and $200 for suvies. Well after the first party we didn't get to see everything so we shelled out another $75 to go to the last party. Then on the last day made a stop at DTD to use our 10% AP discount and we spend much more then our budget allowed. Now I know how much I spend and i budget an extra 50-100 depending on the lengh and time of year.

My dad always adds 250 to the budget for the unexpected, and now won't let me forget it, as on our first trip, AAA messed up our reservaton and we needed the extra 250 to cover the room cost Disney was charging us until we could get it worked out with AAA. Then the March trip when we added a party and other.

VMK_Princess_Chloe
06-27-2007, 01:26 AM
My unexpected expense came after our return, when I logged onto Photopass and saw all of the wonderful moments that the photographers captured! I had initially thought we would just get one or two pictures, but now we're ordering the CD ($124.99 - unless I can find a discount somewhere!).

my brother told me, that if you wait a little while on that.. you will keep getting discounts.. I know you have a date you have to order it by.. but he said it came down some every so often when he waited to buy it. I can't tell you how much.. and can't make any promises. But this is what he said.

Magic2000
06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
A water camera!!! Last year, we went to Blizzard Beach and I realized I didn't have a water camera and bought one there! It was $20!! :scared1:
But I bought it and used it at Blizzard Beach, and when we went to Typhoon Lagoon later in the week. This year, I bought one from Walmart for $7.

I always make a list of OTC medicine and pack it with us. Of course, any time I forget one of the medicines, THAT'S the one we need and you can buy it at the gift shops, but you pay a lot more!

Have a great trip!!!

JennM
06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
my brother told me, that if you wait a little while on that.. you will keep getting discounts.. I know you have a date you have to order it by.. but he said it came down some every so often when he waited to buy it. I can't tell you how much.. and can't make any promises. But this is what he said.

I am going to wait a little while and see whether I get any discount - hope you are right!

nikkistevej
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
The last time I went to WDW 2 years ago, I took my 35mm camera- my expense was when I got home- developing 36 rolls of film. I scrapbook, so I felt I needed them all:scared1: I have my digital for my trip coming up!

ss0414
06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Contact lense solution...very expense in DW
Extra pair of sunglasses....either you spend $200 in DTD for a replacement or $20 for a pair worth $1 at the resort!
Cold/Headache medicine.
Those are the items I forgot and had to replace last time in DW.

fAnnF
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM

I just got my message saying that my photos expire in a week and no discount code. It's all random.

VMK_Princess_Chloe
06-28-2007, 12:27 AM
I just got my message saying that my photos expire in a week and no discount code. It's all random.

yeah that may be.. I just know that he has done it 3 times and each time he got a discount for waiting. I was just saying that it doesn't hurt to wait.. to see.

andrews1
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Water!! We were surprised how intense the Florida heat was in the summer, the first time we went. Then we were shocked at what they wanted to charge for a bottle of water:scared1: I swear the 1st year we spent $100 bucks on bottled water.

In case you don't know, you can get FREE glasses of ice and ice water at the CS restaurants and snack carts.

englishteacha
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Once again, I reiterate the OTC medicines. My DH got one heck of a headache in MGM on our honeymoon, and we bought Tylenol at a gift shop. It was $2 for 4 pills! Now I carry a tiny first aid kit with me with band aids, tylenol, benadryl, etc. Every time I've forgotten that kit, one of us gets a headache.

ThunderMTexpert
06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
:laughing: "feminine" things.. Unless you're on the pill and know exactly when to expect your monthy.. friend, make sure you bring 'em. Got a 12-13 year old teenager that hasn't "started?" Bring a sample pack or something! Check out the BUDGET BOARDS and go to the freebie links!! There are ALWAYS pantyliners, tampons, pads, men's pads, that come in a sample 1-3 pack given for free on the boards (3-4 weeks shipping sometimes!) Or BUY EM!!.That would be perfect for a "just in case" type of thing that don't take up too much room! Think about it!!

Fabinva
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Pain medicine, sunglasses, sunblock lotion, feminine products are very expensive, make sure if you are flying to at least carry kids Tylenol chewable in your bag, I had taken the liquid form and because of restriction put in luggage which I could not get to for hours after we arrived and my son started a fever shortly after getting off plane so I paid A LOT for a small bottle at the hotel gift shop, also ended up spending on a Dr visit a few days later, he had an ear infection.

5fordisney
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I second the water camera!! We had just bought a new digital camera before our trip and it never occured to me until the morning we were going to Typhoon Lagoon that I wouldn't want to bring it and chance getting it wet. So I bought a disposable water camera and it was $20. Ughh...!!! It was the only thing I didn't think ahead for.
Also, upon our return, I never budgeted for the $150 picture development price tag for the 800 pictures I took! That hit me hard in the wallet, esp. after the expensive vacation we had just completed! Oh well, my album is priceless! We look at it every month and relive the fun!
Have a great trip!

hddanis
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I like the idea of $250 for unexpected items...We could have used that! Most of our unexpected costs were due to us forgetting things in the room and not wanting to spend all the time to go back for them...

Lets see, I lost my sunglasses...DD forgot hers one day. That was $32 for the 2 pairs.

Forgot sunscreen one day, another $9

Didn't take a hat for DH (he never wears one) that was $17..That one was swiped from the stroller so another $17 to replace it.

Forgot our autograph pens one day.spent $4 for a disney one

The ONE day we don't take the stroller (where we stored the ponchos in the basket) it rained..Ponchs for 6..about $40

Camera battery died and I couldn't find my spare (it fell out in our van in airport parking lot in Philadelphia..found it when we got home) so I had to buy a disposable camera when we went to 1900 Park Fare..$20..Then forgot to take that one with us to AK and wound up buying another one..another $20

and then shipping back our box of uneaten snacks (sent down WAY too much) and souveniers...SOG only uses Fedex and DH thought I might need stuff in a hurry and sent the box 2 day...that was $90!!!:scared1: (He could have sent it 3 day for about 1/2 the cost.

Now I'm faced with getting prints of all the picture I took...Didn't budget that. OOPS!!! about 200-300 on the photopass and another 300 I took on my camera. At 12 cents a print thats still quite a bit.

Wow, looking at this we could have saved a ton of money if we hadn't forgotten or lost so many things ...<sigh> Next trip it's just me and DH..hopefully we won't have so many things to worry about keeping track of.

scouthawkk
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
:laughing: "feminine" things.. Unless you're on the pill and know exactly when to expect your monthy.. friend, make sure you bring 'em. Got a 12-13 year old teenager that hasn't "started?" Bring a sample pack or something! Check out the BUDGET BOARDS and go to the freebie links!! There are ALWAYS pantyliners, tampons, pads, men's pads, that come in a sample 1-3 pack given for free on the boards (3-4 weeks shipping sometimes!) Or BUY EM!!.That would be perfect for a "just in case" type of thing that don't take up too much room! Think about it!!

:lmao: That happened to me when I was 11. Grandparents took me and little sis on a cruise. My mom had packed one pad, just in case...she had a hunch or something I guess. Sure enough, 2 days into the cruise! Talk about expensive, and not having much choice about where to get that!!!

Next summer DH and I are taking his little sisters (will be 11 and 14). That is going to be the first thing listed on their packing list...just in case:lmao:

kimis
06-29-2007, 05:31 PM
:lmao: That happened to me when I was 11. Grandparents took me and little sis on a cruise. My mom had packed one pad, just in case...she had a hunch or something I guess. Sure enough, 2 days into the cruise! Talk about expensive, and not having much choice about where to get that!!!

Next summer DH and I are taking his little sisters (will be 11 and 14). That is going to be the first thing listed on their packing list...just in case:lmao:
My dh and I worked with the youth department at our church for several years. When ever we would take any kind of a trip I always made sure the girls had all their personal items packed just in case. LOL The girls were surprised how many times they would need something even though they had declared it wasn't their time. LOL I would tell the girls that I am fifty and I still go prepared. LOL

bennythepug
06-29-2007, 08:55 PM
great.....my dd is 12 and just waiting for her to get hers. would'nt it be something if it happened at wdw :rotfl2:

i was actually going to say our most surprising expence was $2 for a bag of ice at FW

ZoZo
06-29-2007, 11:41 PM
In case you don't know, you can get FREE glasses of ice and ice water at the CS restaurants and snack carts.

I tried this on my last trip and it worked great! Just ask for a cup of ice water at any CS restaurant. I loved it - got cold water for free and didn't have to lug around a water bottle.

Cheap (79-cent) rain ponchos. When in their original packaging, they tuck easily into a fanny pack, pocket, etc. When the rain is over, just toss out! (Who wants to fold down a big, wet WDW poncho anyways?)

Sunscreen, OTC meds, moleskin, bodyglide, hair products, Misty Mate, batteries, extra sunglasses, hat -- all of these things are easy to pack and cost waaaay less than if you buy at WDW. My strategy next trip is to pack half the amount of clothes I usually do (I plan to do laundry mid-week) and be sure to pack the other essentials. You can always wash clothes if you need to (so you don't have to bring as many), but you'll kick yourself if you have to buy a $20 bottle of sunscreen.

ZoZo
06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=ss0414;19433414]Contact lens solution...very expensive in DW
QUOTE]

You can buy Renu contact solution (travel size bottles) at Target for $1 each! I stocked up. Usually, travel size bottles cost around $4 each! What a score!

Atchley
06-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Take all your camera stuff and buy extra stuff to take. Camera wasn't charging bought new battery. Didn't work. Ended up having to buy a sepatate battery charger. By the time we got everything worked out, we spent over $150.00 to get new battery, charger and lots of disposable cameras to use while we were trying to figure out why digital would not work.
The thing that really ticks me off is I told DH to take the dock, which is what we always charge it off of and never had any problems, but he said no, it'll be fine this way.
I insisted.
No, it'll work.
Just take it.
We'll be fine.
I caved.
Big Mistake.
When it quit working and we figured it out, I just wanted to jump up and say "Ha! In your face Buddy!" :woohoo:
But I was so steaming mad, I thought it best just to let it go as to not ruin the rest of our day.:furious:

writersblock42
06-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Food charges the first year that we went as adults (without our parents) I never thought that it would cost so much to do stuff like order a pizza.

ConnieB
06-30-2007, 12:00 PM
great.....my dd is 12 and just waiting for her to get hers. would'nt it be something if it happened at wdw :rotfl2:

i was actually going to say our most surprising expence was $2 for a bag of ice at FW

Eeek....are you saying that there isn't an ice machine at the hotels at Disney (thinking every hotel I've ever stayed in has had an ice machine, right next to the over priced soda vending machine). I was going to bring my Vitamix to the hotel, but you gotta have ice to make my breakfast smoothies! We'll have a car and go to offsite grocery for fruit and such, but I'm guessing the POR fridge doesn't have a freezer big enough for a whole bag of ice??????

Agrh....I'm not sure if I can live without my morning smoothie...and can't stand the ton of sugar in most smoothies you can purchase. Oh please say it ain't so!

Ok.....daughter is reading over my shoulder and laughing hysterically at me, but she loves her morning smoothie as well (think coffee drinkers who can't start the morning without....that's us and fruit smooths).....but she said not to cancel the trip :rotfl2: over ice....she has volunteered to take her refillable mug down to the food court every morning and fill it with just ice. Wow, what a kid! (Somebody bookmark this post so I can remind her of her promise!)

MomofKatie
06-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Eeek....are you saying that there isn't an ice machine at the hotels at Disney (thinking every hotel I've ever stayed in has had an ice machine, right next to the over priced soda vending machine). I was going to bring my Vitamix to the hotel, but you gotta have ice to make my breakfast smoothies! We'll have a car and go to offsite grocery for fruit and such, but I'm guessing the POR fridge doesn't have a freezer big enough for a whole bag of ice??????

Agrh....I'm not sure if I can live without my morning smoothie...and can't stand the ton of sugar in most smoothies you can purchase. Oh please say it ain't so!

Ok.....daughter is reading over my shoulder and laughing hysterically at me, but she loves her morning smoothie as well (think coffee drinkers who can't start the morning without....that's us and fruit smooths).....but she said not to cancel the trip :rotfl2: over ice....she has volunteered to take her refillable mug down to the food court every morning and fill it with just ice. Wow, what a kid! (Somebody bookmark this post so I can remind her of her promise!)
I believe FW is the abbreviation for Fort Wilderness. It is a campground (campsites for tent or RV camping, and cabins), so I'd think no ice machines. Every Disney hotel I've ever heard of does have ice machines.

katiebug03
06-30-2007, 08:21 PM
my dd got a horrible cold when we went on a trip once and we had to stop to buy cold medicine and a vaporizer so we will be packing those when we go to disney.

mrzrich
06-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I believe FW is the abbreviation for Fort Wilderness. It is a campground (campsites for tent or RV camping, and cabins), so I'd think no ice machines. Every Disney hotel I've ever heard of does have ice machines.

Yes FW is the campground and yes Disney charges for ice at FW, but not at the hotels.

It makes sense though. When we go to FW we aren't filling a little ice bucket, we are filling 3 full sized coolers everyday. $2 a bag really isn't bad considering you actually get about a bag and a half when the ice drops.

LauraAnn630
06-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Id dropped the digital camera getting off the monrail.

We spent a lot of money buying disposables. We bought them at Walgreens but it was still an expense we didnt expect!

I also bought another memory card and rechargable batteries and charger.
I still stash AAs in my camera bag.

Cabs! We took cabs to 'Ohanas and Chef Mickeys. We wanted more pool time.

dbarker
06-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Just a FYI: You can get first aid items (band aids, tylenol, advil, ect) for free at the First Aid Stations in the parks. I would check there first before dishing out $$ from a souvenir shop. I know...yes, I left the Advil on the kitchen counter at home last month.

Also, I second the free ice water. (I refuse to pay $2-3 for a bottle of water) If you are there during the summer, you need to be chug-a-lugging water all day. If you don't like the taste, there is usually lemons or lemon packets somewhere.

yngsj
06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm always cold and forget to bring a sweatshirt or jacket for the A/C buildings or cool nights so I alway end up buy one at the parks and I definitly don't need another one.

bexareaglecheryl
06-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I am an over-packer so thankfully I usually have enough meds, sunscreen, batteries, etc. Our trip last June 06 was our first trip to WDW in warmer weather. (past trips were in Jan, December & 2 around Thanksgiving).

HATS: I am the kind of woman who never wears any kind of cap/hat, but our first morning of the trip we had a Magic Kingdom "Keys to the Kingdom" tour planned. Just standing around outside waiting for the tour to start about 9:00am my head was burning & boiling. With minutes to spare I ran over to the Main Street Chapeau shop and found a hat. I really loved the hat but I think it was almost $30. A lot for me.

SNACKS:On past trips we have neglected to budget enough for snacks/drinks. I always have a food/meal budget that is fairly accurate. But with 2 adults & 2 teens it seems as if once we were in the parks we got really hungry (Mickey shaped ice cream bars, fresh fruit, pretzels, bakery and candy shop items..non soda drinks, water, etc) even if we had just eaten an hour or two ago. We were always snacking and getting drinks from the carts. I believe we spent way too much but at the time truly needed it (and yes, I did have snacks and drinks packed in the backpack!). I take meds that cause dry mouth + while at Disney I wear the scopolamine ear patch (for motion sickness) and that drys you out to cottonmouth state. I carry an individual Britta water filter on a carabiner on my belt loop and then get the CS spots to fill me up with ice. It melts and I have nice cold water. I go thru a lot of that and sometimes there isn't a spot nearby to get ice so I am forced to buy Dasani water (which I do not care for). And it's impossible to carry around enough water for me. My DH doesn't mind carrying the backpack, but he's not a pack mule.

nemesis
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I am an over-packer so thankfully I usually have enough meds, sunscreen, batteries, etc. Our trip last June 06 was our first trip to WDW in warmer weather. (past trips were in Jan, December & 2 around Thanksgiving).

HATS: I am the kind of woman who never wears any kind of cap/hat, but our first morning of the trip we had a Magic Kingdom "Keys to the Kingdom" tour planned. Just standing around outside waiting for the tour to start about 9:00am my head was burning & boiling. With minutes to spare I ran over to the Main Street Chapeau shop and found a hat. I really loved the hat but I think it was almost $30. A lot for me.

SNACKS:On past trips we have neglected to budget enough for snacks/drinks. I always have a food/meal budget that is fairly accurate. But with 2 adults & 2 teens it seems as if once we were in the parks we got really hungry (Mickey shaped ice cream bars, fresh fruit, pretzels, bakery and candy shop items..non soda drinks, water, etc) even if we had just eaten an hour or two ago. We were always snacking and getting drinks from the carts. I believe we spent way too much but at the time truly needed it (and yes, I did have snacks and drinks packed in the backpack!). I take meds that cause dry mouth + while at Disney I wear the scopolamine ear patch (for motion sickness) and that drys you out to cottonmouth state. I carry an individual Britta water filter on a carabiner on my belt loop and then get the CS spots to fill me up with ice. It melts and I have nice cold water. I go thru a lot of that and sometimes there isn't a spot nearby to get ice so I am forced to buy Dasani water (which I do not care for). And it's impossible to carry around enough water for me. My DH doesn't mind carrying the backpack, but he's not a pack mule.

Not to go OT...but I LOVE your signature...it does bring home the happiness we feel at Disney. Sometimes it is easy to forget the things that make us happy...especially during "trying" times.

Thank You SOOOO much for making my day! :goodvibes :goodvibes

Cindy & Mickey
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Any sort of unintentional clothing purchase.

Twice now I underestimated the number of socks to pack, and I have bought socks in the parks in order to have enough. At the parks, they run about $6/pair, ouch.

Also, DH had a bathing suit mishap one year (the string belt broke), and had to buy a new one, to the tune of about $36.

Unanticipated medications, sunscreen, and bug spray cost a fortune, as everyone has mentioned.

Bring along a nice pen for the kiddos to use for autographs, or they will want one at the parks that will cost you $2 - $3.

The only time it doesn't rain is when we remember to pack ponchos. I'd just as soon get soaked than spend a fortune (again) for everyone to buy park ponchos.

Pack juice boxes if you have little kids.

jobie61
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Have fun!

Barb says bring prunes

Cdn Friends of Pooh
07-04-2007, 06:33 PM
We always have a few unexpected expenses like OTC meds but our most memorable was early in our 2005 trip. We had planned to spend the day at MK and that evening would be attending our first MNSSHP. Shortly after lunch we tried to use our digital camera and found that it had just died. It hadn't gotten wet and the batteries were fresh. We had been using it that morning with no problem at all. That afternoon we ended up taking a trip to Wal-Mart to spend about $250 on a new digital camera so we were able to take pictures at the MNSSHP and for the remainder of our vacation.

That camera is still working today!

Beep
07-04-2007, 06:57 PM
One year, I got a really good deal on sunscreen in the UK before we left for Orlando. The first day out, I forgot it and had to buy some from the parks which cost more than I had saved! Now I have a couple of travel-size bottles that stay in my bag, I just fill them up when needed and hopefully remember to put them back in my bag!

Another one was a baseball cap. We both forgot ours and had to buy them from the parks. I keep one in my bag now in case I forget to pick the other one up.

Food was the problem for us. I like breakfast and my OH doesn't so by 11am we're both hungry and food in the parks is expensive. What we do now is I eat breakfast and he takes something in to eat later in the morning. We then get a late lunch in the parks, a snack in the late afternoon and eat after we leave the parks.

WE also take a water bottle to top up in the parks as it is really expensive to buy, and the free ice chips are great!

Taqwus
07-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I think I was my most unexpected expense
Got sick so far 3 out of 5 times including 1 hospital visit when I caught scarlet fever
Other than that always overplan for clothes wearing, pack at least 3 extra days of underclothes

bluejaygirl
07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm also gonna go with the feminine products.. I brought some for DD but not enough and had to buy a non-favored brand at ASMo for way too much money. Girls start early nowadays, so your 10 or 11 year old still may end up starting on vacation :scared1:

Bring your own laundry detergent, my worst experience at Disney involved trying to find laundry detergent ( machine broken, store sold out) and being told by a CM that I could walk to ASMu at 10 PM and see if they werent sold out there.. :headache:

sandiegosusie
07-07-2007, 01:43 AM
The biggest expense for us last November was forgetting our tickets in the hotel. It was late in the day and we were park hopping but using an used day on an old ticket. We forked out 100+ to add the park hopper option onto our new ticket so we could spend time with our extended family...we didn't have time to go back to the hotel because the buses were averaging 1 hour in between parks...we laugh about it now, but at the time, this over-planner was in melt down mode!

We also had to buy DD5 a sweatshirt because I left hers at the hotel as well. An unexpected cold spell had her shivering right after dinner. The lesson I learned was to roll with the punches! Life is too short to worry about the extra $$ spent...

jgates
07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
A suggestion for a laundry detergent replacement......

I have often just used the bottle of shampoo from the shower. Normally if you have one open in the shower they will still leave you a new one on the counter. I have used it both in a machine and often just to rinse out something in the sink. It always smells good, LOL!!!

But despite the fact that I am METICULOUSLY organized on the trip I have over the years forgotten the following items either at home or in the room which have $$$ my budgets.

Watch
Diabetic Necklace
Sunglasses
Extra child's outfit in the parks
Sweatshirt

Nanu57v
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
My unexpected expense came 9 months after my DD was born. My "special friend" decided to come for a visit for the first time since birth, and of course I didn't think to bring supplies to WDW. So I had to buy some overpriced pads.:rotfl:

jackskellingtonsgirl
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I usually use the make-up remover wipes at night and they take off eye make-up. Last trip I didn't pack the wipes, just the face wash I use in the shower. NOT good for eyes! I had to go to the gift shop at Pop and buy a bottle of baby oil for $3!:scared1: It was a tiny bottle, too, that would have been $.50 anywhere other than WDW.:headache:

nannon16
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
If you are renting a car, make sure you bring extra changes for tolls to get from the airport to WDW. The first time we went we didn't think about this, but luckily we had enough singles and spare change. Depending on what time of day it is, there is not always a live person at some of the toll booths to give change! Now I always put a few dollars in coins in a small ziploc bag and put in an outside pocket of one of our bags so it will be easy to get to when we load up the car when leaving the airport. Then any change we get from buying things while we are there is saved for tolls for the ride back to the airport when we leave.

mickeycrazzes
07-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Amoxycilian is 10X as much at Disney. My son got an ear infection (everytime we fly) it was$28 for amoxcillain I pay $3 bucks for it at home. Plus the over priced fever reducer. Another thing to watch for that is just aweful that this happens. My son who was sick, we bought the $40 pirates hat and when he got off the ride he left it on the boat we ran right back and someone took it for themselves so it became the $80 pirates hat! (mean people stink) My other son had his pin collection stolen one year at pizza planet. Don't take your eyes off your stuff. Hold it all for your kids.
Buying extra drinks on those hot days really adds up quick too. through in a couple a mickey head icecreams and you've blown your budget by $50. We bring alot of bottled water with us.
Staying with in your budget is hard no matter what it is. You don't want to say no and the memories of everybody having a good time are priceless. Batteries & or film for your camera bring extra. Laundy soap, I buy the little pre pkg ones at our local laundy mat for our trip they are like .75 ea. at home compared to the $1.50 at the resorts. Buying the resort refil mugs will save you $$ only if you spend time at your resort. If your in the park all day & night its a $12. splurge. My son drinks enough to cover the cost of 2 mugs.
Every trip is more than we planned and we don't regret spending 1 penny of it.

swilphil
07-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I always overbuy when I make a grocery stop.

I had to buy the kids socks when they were playing in the water at HISTK playground.

When we were traveling with extended family, DH and I splurged on drinks in World Showcase.

deedeetoo
07-16-2007, 09:08 AM
My Teva sandals fell apart while we were walking around DTD. One of the straps actually pulled out right where it goes into the bottom of the sandal. It was unfixable and I really couldn't walk very well. There was no way to keep going for the night without buying some new shoes. I managed to get an emergency pair of flip flops at one of the stores there. They were $25 which is not really that much but they were a style I never would have chosen if I had had a choice and I doubt I'll ever wear them much again.

Topo Bella
07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
My surprise expense was the Arcade at the hotel. My boys love the arcade and since we passed the Wilderness Lodge arcade every night on our way back to our villa, I couldn't deny them... we easily dropped $100 on this over the course of our trip.