PDA

View Full Version : Down by the Boardwalk - 5 days of family dining fun

jknepfle
06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Ok...this is my first trip report, and I thought I'd start with a dining review since it seems like that'd be a little simpler. Maybe if things go well and I don't get the GONG!!!! from you DISers I'll do a full trip report, too. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures - I don't YET have the guts to snap a picture of everything we eat, but, let's see how this goes. First, I'll set up our family's cast of characters:

ME(31) software engineer from Cincinnati, OH. I went to Disney World at age 3, (about) 7, and 14 with my family. My dad is a catholic high school teacher and my mom was a SAHM, so we didn't have much money, but we did go on a vacation every year. The times we went to Disney World were among my best memories growing up. So, I guess you could say there's a special place in my heart for Disney World. I'm also an unabashed foodie. There aren't many things I don't like to eat...except maybe tuna casserole. ;) I like a good single malt Scotch and I'm a very amateur wine drinker. I love seafood, especially crab, and generally I'm very adventurous when it comes to food.

DW(31) Stay at home mom and CEO of our house. She keeps the family running smoothly. She went to Disney World several times as a kid, and is definitely an amusement park lover, too. Her family went to Florida a lot and they stopped at Disney several times. DW is less adventursome food-wise than me, but also definitely appreciates good quality. I'm STILL trying to get her to try and appreciate good fish. She had bad experiences with fish sticks as a kid and although she's been telling me she's going to try it some day (ever since our honeymoon almost 7 years ago!), it's still a work in progress. :) DW loves a good steak, and usually a good pork chop (especially topped with blue cheese :) ), but she's pregnant, so as you probably know, that all goes out the window. USUALLY I know her tastes pretty well, and know what she's likely to enjoy when we go out, but all that goes out the window when she's pregnant. :)

DD(4) My daughter is what you might call a precocious 4 year old. She loves mac and cheese, plain pasta, and cheeseburgers - typical kids food. Usually she's pretty good at trying new things. She was very good at all our sit down meals this trip, which gives me hope that we WILL have a relaxing meal in a restaurant with kids sometime in the not so distant future. :)

DS(2) My son is a typical 2 (almost 3) year old boy. He'll talk about being hungry from the moment you walk in the door to the restaurant. Then, when the food comes, he'll take 2 bites and announce he's finished and want to run around. :) He actually did pretty well this trip. He'll usually eat just about anything, and is turning into a fish lover like his dad.

This past fall, we decided we loved Disney so much that we might as well join the vacation club. So, we bought in and are now proud owners at Saratoga Springs! DW's parents were renting a condo at Siesta Key and invited us to stay with them, so we figured that'd be a great opportunity to sneak in a short trip to the world first! We stayed 5 nights at the Boardwalk Villas in a 1 bedroom villa from 6/15 - 6/20. I have to say...the villas are GREAT! What a difference it makes. It was so nice to have the kids stay in a separate room. But......I digress. On to the food!!!

jknepfle
06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks to some flight shuffling by Delta, our flight ended up leaving Cincinnati about 3.5 hours earlier than we had planned. It was great....we got in to MCO at about 6:40PM, loaded up the luggage, got our rental car and we were on our way!

We had decided to do breakfast in our room every morning. We're fans of getting to the parks at rope drop and trying to ride as many rides as possible before the crowds. Then, we usually like to eat lunch and head back to the room for a rest and HOPEFULLY a nap for the kids (and the adults when possible). That turns out to be wishful thinking most of the time since they're in a different environment and excited about being there. But, we try, and we do make them at least lay down and watch TV.

WARNING!
<DIGRESSION>
Has anyone noticed that channel 96 on TV shows old-time Disney cartoons? We found this last year when we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and it quickly became a favorite of our kids. This year, it even included one of those old Goofy cartoons where he's trying to ride a horse. If you haven't checked out channel 96 in the resort hotels, put it on your list for next time. As far as I know they don't advertise it, but it's just one of those "hidden gems" that is SO Disney.
</DIGRESSION>

Anyway, in order to do breakfast in the room, we needed some staples, so we stopped at Walmart on the way to the hotel. DW and DS went in, and I stayed with DD who had fallen asleep. When we finally got to BWV, checked in, got to the room, and got the luggage in, it was about 9PM. Just in time for the Illuminations fireworks! We stayed in 2117, which was on the first floor with a great view. It was a pretty long walk from the lobby/Boardwalk area, but in all, a pretty good room. Since we hadn't had dinner yet, I ran out to see what I could find to feed us and get the kids to bed ASAP. I ended up getting kinda turned around leaving the room, but eventually made it to the Boardwalk area where I found:

Spoodles Pizza Window
I ordered 2 slices of cheese and 2 pepperoni for the 4 of us. They were HUGE! The nice CMs there boxed them up for me for easy transport and I high-tailed it back to the hungry troops. I'm not sure if they were just particularly good that night or we were just super hungry (probably both?), but it tasted great. The crust tastes home-made (and with a wife and kids who could probably eat pizza 2x a week, I've made my share of pizzas!), the sauce was tasty and the cheese was delicious and slightly greasy (in a good way). I'd recommend the Spoodles Pizza window to anyone lookin for a quick bite to eat in the Boardwalk area.
Overall: B+

Next up.............Le Cellier and what my wife and I call "eating around the world"

lonegirl
06-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Am I the first to respond? Our kiddos will be 4 and 2 (almost 3 and 5) when we go this fall, so I look forward to your report.

Our boys do the same thing: they cannot, by any means, SKIP a meal, but will only eat 2-3 bites of it. This morning they ate three waffles each for breakfast, so that will tide them over until probably Thursday dinner.

Look forward to it, and thanks for posting:)

jknepfle
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Am I the first to respond? Our kiddos will be 4 and 2 (almost 3 and 5) when we go this fall, so I look forward to your report.

Our boys do the same thing: they cannot, by any means, SKIP a meal, but will only eat 2-3 bites of it. This morning they ate three waffles each for breakfast, so that will tide them over until probably Thursday dinner.

Look forward to it, and thanks for posting:)

Yup! You're the first! Thanks for the reply. Aren't they funny when they eat like that? I just can't figure it out, but I guess whatever works.... :)

As a preview...the sit-down places we went to were ALL about getting you in and out, which at times felt a little rushed, but usually we were glad 'cause it kept our kids busy and we didn't have to do too much to entertain them. And, I know the kids menus get kinda dissed here on the DIS, but for us, they worked out great...our kids usually even split the kids meal or split one adult meal at some CS restaurants.

oybolshoi
06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Greetings from Kang and Kodos!!

In anticipation of more reviews I'd just like to say, "Take what you want but eat what you take." :rotfl2:

I'm so disappointed I didn't get here first...trying is the first step towards failure, isn't it?

OK.. enough with the Simpsons already. Great start so far...I'm really looking forward to your TS reviews, especially some of the places that my hubby and I haven't made it to yet.

Didn't you have an ADR for Le Cellier? Dazzle me...I've got a meat-craving going on over here on this side of Old Man River.

Looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

momocay
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Can't wait to hear the rest. Congrats on your new DVC purchase.

Minniespal
06-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Excellent ~ Welcome home:goodvibes

wilma-bride
06-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Great start - you've got me craving pizza now :rotfl:

swankybeth
06-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Enjoying so far, looking forward to the next installment. :thumbsup2

pperfectmom
06-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Great start and we will have a 4 and a 2 year old on our trip so I need the advice. My 4 year old will eat anything that isn't nailed down but her brother is of the "2 bites a meal and then wants to get down and run like a mad man" type of eater. I'm hoping he gets better by the time our trip rolls around.

mt mommy
06-26-2007, 08:38 AM
great report so far!

TigerKat
06-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Great start - looking forward to the rest!

Busymom85
06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Great review so far. Can't wait to read the rest.

dramaticmissy
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
REALLY a great start. I'm going in August with my little ones 3 and 5 so any tips would be nice.

MelanieC
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Great review so far - can't wait for your next installment!

disneyjunebug
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Great review! I'm taking a 4 yr old and a 48 yr old in the fall and both are rather picky eaters. That pizza description even had me salivating and I'm not a big pizza person! Looking forward to more!

DisneyJo
06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Great start :thumbsup2

jknepfle
06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Greetings from Kang and Kodos!!

In anticipation of more reviews I'd just like to say, "Take what you want but eat what you take." :rotfl2:

I'm so disappointed I didn't get here first...trying is the first step towards failure, isn't it?

OK.. enough with the Simpsons already. Great start so far...I'm really looking forward to your TS reviews, especially some of the places that my hubby and I haven't made it to yet.

Didn't you have an ADR for Le Cellier? Dazzle me...I've got a meat-craving going on over here on this side of Old Man River.

Looking forward to more! :thumbsup2

Haha...thanks. "Actually, we're Quantum Presbyterians." :lmao: I'll try to do Le Cellier justice...It's kinda hard since it's been reviewed SOoooo much. :)

Can't wait to hear the rest. Congrats on your new DVC purchase.
Thanks! I think I can honestly say it was a good investment for us!

Excellent ~ Welcome home:goodvibes
WOo hoo! It was neat to hear that the first time.

Great start - you've got me craving pizza now :rotfl:
Sweet! Let's hope I can live up to that with the next installment.

Enjoying so far, looking forward to the next installment. :thumbsup2
Great...glad you're enjoying it. I'm gonna try to get down to more FOOD now :)

Great start and we will have a 4 and a 2 year old on our trip so I need the advice. My 4 year old will eat anything that isn't nailed down but her brother is of the "2 bites a meal and then wants to get down and run like a mad man" type of eater. I'm hoping he gets better by the time our trip rolls around.
I know a lot of people don't think you should bring kids that young, but we actually brought our daughter a few days after her first birthday. Granted, the trip was more for us, but she still had fun!:thumbsup2

great report so far!
Thankee! I'll try to keep up the momentum!

Great start - looking forward to the rest!
Saweet!

Great review so far. Can't wait to read the rest.
Hopefully my next installment lives up to the kudos you all are laying o me!

REALLY a great start. I'm going in August with my little ones 3 and 5 so any tips would be nice.
Cool...our kids aren't big eaters, so we found they could easily share even a kids meal. I think you'll be happy...the food always seemed to come out quickly, which, while non-ideal for adults, was a savior for the kids!

Great review so far - can't wait for your next installment!
Thanks! Coming very soon!

jknepfle
06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Great review! I'm taking a 4 yr old and a 48 yr old in the fall and both are rather picky eaters. That pizza description even had me salivating and I'm not a big pizza person! Looking forward to more!
Haha...I'm sure both the 4 and the 48 year old will find something. In fact, I think it's almost tougher to find anything "nonstandard" than it is to find things for more picky eaters. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Great start :thumbsup2
Thanks a bunch!:thumbsup2

jknepfle
06-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Le Cellier Lunch
I get a little nervous reviewing Le Cellier. People seem to have very strong feelings about it (definitely mostly positive!). I was very excited about this one...probably the most coveted ADR of our trip. I have to say, we were very pleased. As we were walking from Spaceship Earth to Le Cellier (incidentally....why did they change the side you exit from? now, you have to walk ALL the way around to get your stroller...grrrr! ;) ), DS fell asleep. So, we checked in just before our 11:30 ADR and asked if we could bring him in in the stroller. "No problem!" Woo hoo! DS could get a hot dog (his meal of choice) anywhere, and now we might have a semi-relaxing meal with only one 4 year old to entertain! :banana:

One thing I had never heard here on the DIS is that at Le Cellier, before they open for lunch, they sing "O Canada" in both English and French. It was a pretty neat touch. We sat down, and immediately our drink orders were taken. As usual, DW and I got water. She almost ALWAYS gets water, and I was really trying to stay hydrated. We let DD get a pirate punch with a cool light up tinkerbell. She was happy. :) He soon brought the drinks and 3 large breadsticks - pretzel (the darling of the DIS, and it was pretty darn good), whole grain (my favorite - a very good whole grain bread with a kind of pleasant chew), and sourdough (usually I'm not a huge fan, but this was pretty good, too). They even had what I believe to be "Epcot Ball" shaped butter!

We're not big appetizer eaters, especially at lunch. It's not that we NEVER get them, but it's pretty rare. I think seeing all the people here on the dining plan made us more aware of them, so we got them more on this trip than we would normally. So, all three of us ordered the famous Cheddar Cheese Soup. It did NOT disappoint! The only criticism I had of it was that it was not quite as hot as I would have liked. Regardless, it had a great sharp cheese flavor, but not TOO sharp, with a hint of beer kind of in the background, but definitely there if you were looking for it. It had a sort of spicy finish in the back of the throat. And, you could also taste a small vegetal component from what I assume are onions, carrots, celery. :thumbsup2 on the soup!

For entrees, I had the 10oz strip steak, medium rare with "balsamic red onions, watercress and roasted Yukon potatoes and finished with veal demi-glace" , and DW had the 5oz Filet "over cream cheese mashed potatoes, finished with a roasted garlic demi glace". DD had a hotdog. :confused3 But, she seemed to enjoy it. :) The strip steak had excellent flavor. It tasted like it had been cooked over a screaming hot charcoal fire, which gave it that great grilled/chared taste, and had an excellent beefy flavor. My only problem was that it was slightly dry and a little tough (although I'll forgive that since it IS a strip...). :( I think mine was slightly overcooked. I like it warm and pink/red in the center, and I think it was more hot and pink. It was hard to tell since it's so darn dark in there, though. So, I enjoyed it, but I think it coulda been better. The potatoes were just so-so...sorta mushy like they had been sitting in the drippings too long and not too "roasted". I didn't notice any balsamic red onions, but the watercress was a pleasant suprise. I'm not sure I'v ever had watercress before, but it was just slightly wilted and was a great, fresh, bitter foil to the rich steak. A good pair! I tasted some of DW's filet. It was very very good. She likes her steak medium, and it was cooked perfectly, very tender, but without the strong beefy flavor of my strip. The mashed potatoes were GREAT! I'm more used to having garlic mashed potatoes with a steak, so these were a nice change.

For dessert, DW got the duo of creme brulee (maple and vanilla), and I had the chocolate whiskey cake with tarragon creme anglais. I'm a chocoholic. I admit it....I've been known to say that if it ain't chocolate, it ain't dessert. This was a great piece of chocolate cake. Tasted very fresh, moist, fudgy and delicious. I didn't taste the whiskey, but I can't say I was looking for it too closely. I think it just served to support the chocolate. I'd definitely recommend it! DW was thinking about not ordering dessert, but she was very happy she did. The creme brulee tasted "light" without being light on flavor. She's not usually a huge maple fan, but we both loved the maple, and I REALLY loved the cinnamon whipped cream they paired with it. The vanilla was good, too, but not as interesting as the maple. DD had "make your own sundae." She loved it. :)

In all, we really did like Le Cellier. It wasn't jaw-droppingly good. It was very good, not excellent. We decided we'd probably go back, but we'd like to try other places first, before coming back here.
Overall: B-

Next.....Eating around the world!

jknepfle
06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Eating around the world
DW and I love to make a meal out of the different snack offerings of the countries in world showcase. We had hit the Canada and Great Britain pavilions on the way out to a nap in the early afternoon, and so we had the rest of WS to do that evening. TIP: try the fruit and nut Cadbury bar that you can get in Britain. It's delicious, a very creamy milk chocolate with nuts and dried fruit embedded in it...I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and fruit, but this is GOOD!
Overall: A

Our first stop was France where we picked up a Ham and Cheese croissant for DW. She had seen pictures on the DIS and had to try it. It was very good. They heat it up for you in what looks like one of those ovens they have now at Subway (a super-quick convection oven, I assume?). The ham had a really good flavor and paired well with the buttery croissant and cheese. I believe it was some sort of swiss cheese, but the sign didn't say. This was a good'n. I also picked up some madelines for the kids (they had fallen asleep again). Didn't try them myself, but they seemed to like them.
Overall: A-

While she was eating that, I got a Gray Goose Lemon Squishee. Thanks for the tip on that one, Brenda. VERY VERY good...picture an adult version of a really good frozen lemonade. They also had a bunch of wines in that stand, including one of my favorites, Beaujolais, but I decided one drink was good for now. :)

On our way out of France, we saw the creperie. I like to make crepes at home, and one of our favorite things to do is just put a little butter and turbinado sugar on them. We decided to try this one, and it was pretty good. They used regular granulated sugar (which I assume is actually more "French"), and it had been pre-made, then reheated, but it was still pretty good.

In Japan, we like to spend some time in the "hello kitty' department store. Being an engineer, I like the cool little robotic toys they have there, the kids like the other odd toys, and DW likes just about all of it. Also, I really like to check out the strange snack foods there (we actually saw a bag of what looked like dried mini CRABS - NOT cuddlefish...CRABS - still in the shell!). I picked up a bag of crunchy coated nuts that turned out to be pretty darn good.
Overall: B

By now the kids were getting hungry, and we had made it to Germany. We gave them the choice of.....what else? Sausage or pretzel! They chose pretzel. It was good...kinda dry, though. I think they have 3 different places they sell pretzels. WE got it from the stand that sells beer. I wonder how long they're sitting there before people by them, and I wonder if they're better if you go inside to the CS place. DD and DS seemed to like it, and it wasn't bad, but nothing special.
Overall: C+

As we made it to China, I was starting to get kinda hungry for "real" food. I had been snacking, but I needed something of substance. I decided against the Chinese CS place, thinking it wouldn't be worth making everyone stand in line for what I could get at any Chinese food court restaurant. DW was thirsty, so she got a lemon lychee iced green tea. She and the kids loved it. I thought it was ok...a little too sweet for me, and it tasted a little too much like green tea, which I'm not a fan of, but it WAS refreshing

Next was the stop we had all been waiting for. I'm a huge fan of coconut, and who doesn't love a good cream filled doughnut. Enter Schoolbread! :) I actually have a picture of this one!
http://www.knepfle.com/schoolbread.jpg
I had been wanting to try this one since reading about it on the boards. I would say it lived up to the hype. And, at about $2.50, it's a steal! It's a giant yeast doughnut with interesting spices (cardamom? cinnamon? nutmeg?) filled with a creamy custard, topped with icing and coconut. It's just delicious. Highly recommended. We also picked up a berry cream horn, which was good, but unremarkable.

I still hadn't had any what I call "real food" so on our way back to the International gateway, I picked up another ham and cheese croissant for now and some chocolate croissants and a peach tart for breakfast. The pastries were very good. My wife is a chocolate croissant connesieur ever since our pre-kids trip to France. She seemed to like it. DS and DD didn't seem too interested in it the next day, though. The peach tart was delicious...a flakey puff pastry on the bottom with pastry cream and sliced peaches. Highly recommended if you see it in the case when you're there.
Overall: A-

That's it for Day 2. Stay tuned for Day 3 with Libery Tree Tavern lunch, Aloha Isle, and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe!

dramaticmissy
06-27-2007, 08:16 AM
GREAT! can't wait for the next installment!!!!!

lonegirl
06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Your little ones are cuties!

TigerKat
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Excellent reviews. Added bonus - adorable kids!!:thumbsup2

disneymom2twins
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah!! Loving your very detailed reviews!! Looking forward to more!

Marc A.
06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Great reviews. We are taking our DD 3 1/2 in Oct. and your details really help us in our plannings.
Keep it coming!!!

jknepfle
06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
GREAT! can't wait for the next installment!!!!!
Your wish is my command! Comin atcha soon!
Your little ones are cuties!
Thank you so much! I think so, too, but I'm biased. :)
Excellent reviews. Added bonus - adorable kids!!:thumbsup2
Thanks on both counts!
Yeah!! Loving your very detailed reviews!! Looking forward to more!
Great...I hope I'm not TOO detailed. I DO love to eat, and talk about eating. :)
Great reviews. We are taking our DD 3 1/2 in Oct. and your details really help us in our plannings.
Keep it coming!!!

Great! Glad to help out. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer.

jknepfle
06-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Before I begin...let me do a little clarification here. You may notice that I've been giving an overall rating to all the places we ate. Please keep in mind that this encompasses the whole deal...value, food, service, ambiance, etc. I say that because I'm about to give LTT a rating about the same as Le Cellier, and I think people might think I'm crazy. To be honest, I'd probably choose Le Cellier over LTT any day of the week. However, the prices were lower, we had better service, and I liked the brigher, colonial theming a little better. But....I digress.....

(Also, DW, DS, and DD had Mikey ice cream bars in the morning before lunch. They seemed to enjoy them, and I had a small taste, and got what I expected...a premium ice cream bar in the shape of the big cheese himself. If you haven't had one, run to your nearest vendor next time you're in the park!)

Liberty Tree Tavern
I didn't even know this was here until recently. In the 5 - 7 times I've been to the world, I never noticed it! It wasn't until we started researching TS restaurants in the MK that we looked into it. We had heard so-so things about Tony's and The Plaza and had just eaten at CRT last year, so this was the defacto choice. It also had "stuff" that appealed to all of us, so it was a pretty easy choice! I have to say we were all happy with it! I wasn't totally thrilled, but it is a good quality, solid choice for TS in the MK. Ever since I had seen the menu, I KNEW I would get either the salmon over griddled pumpkin bread, or the pot roast with mashed potatoes (probably the latter). It was not to be.....

We were pretty hungry so DW and I decided to share an app. She was in the mood for the fried tavern cheese, and who was I to argue? Fried.......cheese.........marinara sauce....nothing wrong with that! It was very good. One of the better "cheese sticks" I've had. I think they're supposed to be 3 different TYPES of cheese and I know there were 3 distinct shapes, but they all tasted pretty much the same - squishy/squeeky/runny good ol' mozerella cheese. I'd recommend this appetizer to anyone lookin for a "straight up the middle" staple snack. Good stuff!

Since we were getting a greasy/heavy app I decided to do an about face on my lunch order. Besides...I could use some good ol' vegetable roughage. Instead of the pot roast or salmon, I went for the Colony Salad, described thusly on allearsnet: "Washington apples, sweet pecans and applewood smoked cheddar and grilled chicken tossed with field greens in honey shallot vinaigrette." I was very pleased with my choice! The salad was fresh and crisp, just the thing on a hot Florida afternoon. The dressing was unremarkable but very good, in just the right amount to cover the salad ingredients. I could tell the chicken breast was sort of "mass produced" and not freshly grilled but it was still very good and pretty moist. Sometimes you get a piece of chicken like that and you can just taste the salt they use to preserve it between manufacturer and kitchen, but this didn't have that weird salty flavor. I'd recommend this salad to someone looking for a lighter lunch for sure! DW had the Sandwich Heard Round the World (cool name, eh?), described thusly: "Grilled turkey panini with provolone cheese, Applewood smoked bacon, and cranberry spread on multi grain bread with lightly dressed field greens or tavern fries". She opted for the field greens and asked them to hold the cranberries. She was very happy with it, even though she wasn't feeling 100% that day. I had a taste and it was good...about what I'd expect. If you're looking for a panini, go for it...I think you'll like it! DS and DD shared the cheese pizza with grapes, carrots and celery. We were suprised how good it looked. It didn't look like the BEST pizza I've ever seen, but it was a step up from our expectations. And, the kids didn't complain. :)

I had warned DW that I was getting dessert here for sure. There was one thing that just really stood out to me and I definitely wanted to try it. Plus, it was Father's day, so I was going for it! I got the Butter Griddled Pound Cake "served with warm pecan caramel sauce and vanilla bean ice cream." It was very good. The carmel sauce was great, if maybe slightly sweet, and had more of a brown sugar taste than a caramel sauce taste, but it was very good. The cake was more spongy than I'm used to with pound cake, but it was a huge slab and had a good flavor. The ice cream was the perfect foil to the cake and sauce. Usually, I'm all over any chocolate dessert, but this definitely satisfied me! DW had the Caramel Apple Tart "shortbread crust, sugared apples, and cinnamon ice cream". I'm usually not one to choose a fruit dessert, but it was very good...almost like a very good apple pie with ice cream. DW and DD seemed to really like it, too. Can't say too much about it, because I just had a small taste, but I think you wouldn't go wrong ordering this one.

In all, I'd recommend this place. Our server was very good...efficient, engaged, and seemed happy to be there. It has a "hall of presidents", edu-tainment vibe to it, and the food is above average to very good. Give it a try; I think you won't be disappointed!!!

Next up....Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe

emlutz23
06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Suscribing so I can hear more! I am so getting one of those doughnuts when I'm there in Sept! :thumbsup2

oybolshoi
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Hmmmm.... nicely done my mysterious cartoon watching friend, nicely done. :thumbsup2

Some random thoughts...

Your kids are adorable! I'm talking Gerber Baby Food Awwwwww, (and as a cranky crohn who's liable to turn into crazy old cat lady someday, that's high praise indeed).

Le Cellier sounds good...it always has, but the problem I end up having whenever I make ADRs is that it's a steakhouse. Yawn. Steakhouses are a dime a dozen around here and we've got some pretty darn good ones so I have a hard time justifying a meal at Le Cellier when we can do Ruth Chris or Dierdorf and Hart's at home.

I must congratulate you on your snacking around the world showcase - you did a fine job of creating a miniature food and not-wine festival for yourselves. And I am very pleased you had a lemon squishee in France - they are tasty, are they not? The schoolbread looks like something my DH would really enjoy - me not so much. I don't like coconut; not that you care, but I'm just sayin... :rolleyes1

As an aside, why do they call it schoolbread? I don't know about you but no one ever gave me bread like that in school...even when I was paying for it. :lmao:

I was encouraged to read your review of LTT - I would never eat there for dinner because all-you-can-eat country style meals make me gag...excessively. But it sounds like a great place to stop for lunch at the MK if you're looking for something other than the standard hotdog or hamburger. Columbia Harbor House is also good - love that tuna sandwich!

Keep up the great work and I apologize in advance if my fingers ran away with me while I was posting... sometimes I just can't stop typing. ;)

schaery
06-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the great reviews. DH and I are going fin Dec. and you've reviewed 2 of the restaurants (LC and LTT) that I've made ADR's for. Did you by chance go to Prime Time Cafe or Raglan Road? Ah, snacking around the World is great, isn't it? My brother introduced me to that marathon event but every time I go with him, I never have much time for rides for all the snacking.

wilma-bride
06-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Just caught up on Le Cellier, Around the World and LTT.

We have a much coveted ADR for Le Cellier and almost every time I read another positive review, I wonder if I haven't built it up so much in my head that I am going to be disappointed. Time will tell and no doubt you will read about it here some time in September - but, meanwhile, thanks for 'keeping it real' :thumbsup2

LTT also sounds like a great option for a slightly more relaxed lunch - I'm with Brenda on this one as I would never consider it for dinner but lunch sounds great :)

And one more thing to add - your kids are just so cute - my DS would love that Cars t-shirt your DS is wearing.

dramaticmissy
06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
you are doing a great job!!! We are doing LLT in August for Lunch, I can't wait!

TigerKat
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I like you have never really thought about LTT before reading about it here on the boards. It sounds like a great lunch spot, the salad and panini sound really good. Wonder if we might be able to get in without an ADR?:idea: Is that wishful thinking or what!:rotfl:

schaery
06-28-2007, 01:08 PM
I've got ADRs for LTT Character Dinner in December. It will just be DH and me. Any opinions as to whether or not I should change it to regular dinner instead of character? I've never been to a character dinner before but the food selection at the regular dinner is beginning to sound better. Thanks.

DisneyJo
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
So pleased you liked Cadbury fruit and nut, it's yummy chocolate isn't it :goodvibes

I too am a bit worried about Le Cellier I hope I don't expect more than it is!

Cindy's Mom
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
great report - and your kids are adorable.

CanadianPaco
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Eating around the world
DW and I love to make a meal out of the different snack offerings of the countries in world showcase. We had hit the Canada and Great Britain pavilions on the way out to a nap in the early afternoon, and so we had the rest of WS to do that evening. TIP: try the fruit and nut Cadbury bar that you can get in Britain. It's delicious, a very creamy milk chocolate with nuts and dried fruit embedded in it...I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and fruit, but this is GOOD!

Or come to Canada and buy them anywhere from Walmart to the conrer store!:rotfl:

jknepfle
06-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Suscribing so I can hear more! I am so getting one of those doughnuts when I'm there in Sept! :thumbsup2
I definitely don't think you'll be disappointed. mmmmmm....doughnut.........:)

Hmmmm.... nicely done my mysterious cartoon watching friend, nicely done. :thumbsup2

Some random thoughts...

Your kids are adorable! I'm talking Gerber Baby Food Awwwwww, (and as a cranky crohn who's liable to turn into crazy old cat lady someday, that's high praise indeed).

Thanks on both accounts. As you'll probably see from future pictures, they get their good looks from their mom...definitely not me! :)

Le Cellier sounds good...it always has, but the problem I end up having whenever I make ADRs is that it's a steakhouse. Yawn. Steakhouses are a dime a dozen around here and we've got some pretty darn good ones so I have a hard time justifying a meal at Le Cellier when we can do Ruth Chris or Dierdorf and Hart's at home.

I must congratulate you on your snacking around the world showcase - you did a fine job of creating a miniature food and not-wine festival for yourselves. And I am very pleased you had a lemon squishee in France - they are tasty, are they not? The schoolbread looks like something my DH would really enjoy - me not so much. I don't like coconut; not that you care, but I'm just sayin... :rolleyes1

As an aside, why do they call it schoolbread? I don't know about you but no one ever gave me bread like that in school...even when I was paying for it. :lmao:

I was encouraged to read your review of LTT - I would never eat there for dinner because all-you-can-eat country style meals make me gag...excessively. But it sounds like a great place to stop for lunch at the MK if you're looking for something other than the standard hotdog or hamburger. Columbia Harbor House is also good - love that tuna sandwich!

Keep up the great work and I apologize in advance if my fingers ran away with me while I was posting... sometimes I just can't stop typing. ;)

I'm with you on the steakhouse. Sure...it's gonna be good....it's steak after all! And you CAN get it just about anywhere. We still wanted to try it to see what all the fuss was about, and for the cheddar cheese soup, breads, and dessert that accompany the steak. But, I doubt we'd go back for a while. There's SO much out there, and we didn't love it enough to absolutely NEED to go back soon.

Hahaha on the schoolbread. At my school the closest thing you had to that was a hostess honey bun. :rotfl2: It COULD be worth a try even if you're not a coconut person. The coconut is ONLY on the top and the rest of it is coconut free!

I think you're right about the LTT lunch...a good relaxing non-CS place for lunch. I THINK people were doing walk-up seating when we left (about 12:30), so you might be able to get in on a whim (and it was even crowded that day!)

becka
06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I am really enjoying them especially since I have my own 5 year old and 2 (almost 3 year old) with us in November. :)

jknepfle
06-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the great reviews. DH and I are going fin Dec. and you've reviewed 2 of the restaurants (LC and LTT) that I've made ADR's for. Did you by chance go to Prime Time Cafe or Raglan Road? Ah, snacking around the World is great, isn't it? My brother introduced me to that marathon event but every time I go with him, I never have much time for rides for all the snacking.
Cool! I have never been to Prime Time or Raglan Road. We would like to try them both sometime, though. Let me know what you think!

Just caught up on Le Cellier, Around the World and LTT.

We have a much coveted ADR for Le Cellier and almost every time I read another positive review, I wonder if I haven't built it up so much in my head that I am going to be disappointed. Time will tell and no doubt you will read about it here some time in September - but, meanwhile, thanks for 'keeping it real' :thumbsup2

LTT also sounds like a great option for a slightly more relaxed lunch - I'm with Brenda on this one as I would never consider it for dinner but lunch sounds great :)

And one more thing to add - your kids are just so cute - my DS would love that Cars t-shirt your DS is wearing.

Lunch at LTT was very good. I was pleasantly suprised. I'd venture to say that the lunch is probably better than the dinner just from what I've heard, but I haven't tried the dinner there............yet!

you are doing a great job!!! We are doing LLT in August for Lunch, I can't wait!

Thanks! I think you'll enjoy it. We sure did! A tip: I heard you can buy the cool mason jar mug/glasses that they serve drinks in and just take it with you!

I like you have never really thought about LTT before reading about it here on the boards. It sounds like a great lunch spot, the salad and panini sound really good. Wonder if we might be able to get in without an ADR?:idea: Is that wishful thinking or what!:rotfl:

I THINK I saw people getting in around prime lunch time when we were leaving without ADR's. BUT, don't hold me to that!

I've got ADRs for LTT Character Dinner in December. It will just be DH and me. Any opinions as to whether or not I should change it to regular dinner instead of character? I've never been to a character dinner before but the food selection at the regular dinner is beginning to sound better. Thanks.

Well...I think ONLY the dinner has characters and it's served family style. The word is that the food is from Stouffers but I can neither confirm nor deny. I do know that the food we had at lunch was tasty!

So pleased you liked Cadbury fruit and nut, it's yummy chocolate isn't it :goodvibes

I too am a bit worried about Le Cellier I hope I don't expect more than it is!

Very good chocolate! And, I think you'll like Le Cellier...especially if you're a meat eater.

great report - and your kids are adorable.

Thanks! So are your kids! Gotta love those Mickey Ice Cream bars!

Eating around the world

Or come to Canada and buy them anywhere from Walmart to the conrer store!:rotfl:

In my best Napoleon Dynamite voice: "LUCKY!"

jknepfle
06-28-2007, 07:53 PM

Sorry...missed this part of your post. Thanks for the compliment on my kids! That shirt was a gift from my brother, but I THINK he got it here:
http://www.zazzle.com/collections/disneyinkshop/product.asp?from=d&product_id=235789706029567700

jknepfle
06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Aloha Isle
My mom loves a good creamsicle, which is suprising...usually, she's like me: "If it ain't chocolate, it ain't dessert!" Anyway, when I was little, I remember her finding the place right outside the exit to the Tiki birds (don't remember what it's called...) that serves orange and vanilla soft serve mixed. She HAD to get one every time we went from then on. Until....she found Aloha Isle (rather recently) and that darling of the DIS, the Dole Whip. Well, she got my wife and I hooked.

If you haven't had one of these, the best way I can describe it is refreshment in a cup! It's pineapple soft serve, and you can get it in "twist" form mixed with vanilla. They also will float a big dollup of that ice cream on top of cold pineapple juice for a dole whip float. As the queen of Food TV, Rachel Ray, would say, "Yummo!" It's gooo-OOD. I think the float is a slightly better value than just the ice cream since they give you a little more ice cream and you also get the pineapple juice for just a little more. I also definitely prefer the twist version of the ice cream to the straight pineapple. Here we are eating our floats:

http://www.knepfle.com/dw1.jpg
http://www.knepfle.com/dw2.jpg

Overall: Solid A - highly recommended!

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
A couple of years back (I believe on a pre-kid trip!), my wife and I were looking for something non-burger to eat quickly when we were in Tomorrowland. Enter Cosmic Ray. We shared rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables, and not even a cursing middle aged women who was obviously having a bad day after she spilled a whole tray of food right next to us could ruin it! We've been back every time ever since. Is Cosmic Ray's high-class, unique food? Nah. But, it's usually fresh and tasty, and I think the animatronic lounge singer in there is a hoot (although my wife may respectfully disagree :) ).

This time, we decided on burgers all around, some with apples some with fries. The food was what you'd expect. The fries were hot,crispy, and seemed fresh, and the burgers were standard fast food fare. Not gonna win any awards, but beats the pants off a McDonalds burger, IMHO.

The thing that this place really has going for it is the variety (separate stations for roasted chicken, sandwiches/salads, and burgers) and the toppings bar. Only at Disney can you buy a fast food burger and then put grilled onions, sauteed mushrooms, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, etc, etc on at your will. Definitely kicks it up a notch in my book (I'm starting to sound like a Food Network schill!). The only downside is that if one person wants a burger and one wants chicken, you have to stand in 2 lines. Kinda a pain in a family of 4.

In the end, if you're in Tomorrowland and wanting something quick, check this place out. We've always been able to find a seat and the food's pretty good!

jknepfle
06-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I am really enjoying them especially since I have my own 5 year old and 2 (almost 3 year old) with us in November. :)

Glad you're enjoying it! You have some cute kids there. Looks like they're veterans...already on a Disney Cruise, just like our kids!

wilma-bride
06-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Great update. I'm not big on pineapple so I must be one of the strange people who are just not tempted by a Dole Whip :confused3 Burgers, chicken and fries at Cosmic Rays sounds great though :thumbsup2

P.S. I had a look at that Zazzle site you posted - thanks. I'm still trying to work out if they ship to the UK but if they do, I am seriously stocking up on Disney t-shirts for my kids ;)

dramaticmissy
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
wE REALLY LIKE COSMIC RAY'S FOR A QUICK PICK ME UP AND GO EVERY YEAR!!!!

TigerKat
06-29-2007, 12:09 PM
We like Cosmic Ray's for the variety - the guys can get their burgers and I enjoy the wrap. Sonny Eclipse adds a great touch, I think that's his name.:rotfl:

OurMsBrooks
06-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Man, those kids really are adorable! ;)

Enjoying your reviews, but how cruel of you to actually put in photos of Dole Whip!! How in the world am I supposed to survive until my next trip now that I've actually SEEN them?!?!? Now that's torture! I have to go check my frequent flier miles...

Cheers.

jknepfle
06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
wE REALLY LIKE COSMIC RAY'S FOR A QUICK PICK ME UP AND GO EVERY YEAR!!!!

Yup! It's definitely better than a lot of places!

We like Cosmic Ray's for the variety - the guys can get their burgers and I enjoy the wrap. Sonny Eclipse adds a great touch, I think that's his name.:rotfl:

I think you're right!

Man, those kids really are adorable! ;)

Enjoying your reviews, but how cruel of you to actually put in photos of Dole Whip!! How in the world am I supposed to survive until my next trip now that I've actually SEEN them?!?!? Now that's torture! I have to go check my frequent flier miles...

Cheers.

Hahaha...they have good genes. And, I hear they have some pretty adorable cousins, too. ;) I know what you mean about the Dole Whip. I was thinking about our next trip and how far away it is on the way home from this one, and we'll be back before you guys will!

kindakrazy2
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Yep, those are some cute kiddos you've got there!

Enjoying your food report - can't wait to read more!

ColleenS
07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
love this dining report!

jknepfle
07-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Yep, those are some cute kiddos you've got there!

Enjoying your food report - can't wait to read more!

Thanks...on both counts!!!

love this dining report!
Glad to hear you're liking it!

I plan to post an update tonight, including Garden Grill in Epcot and the Earl of Sandwich in DTD!

wilma-bride
07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I plan to post an update tonight, including Garden Grill in Epcot and the Earl of Sandwich in DTD!

Pleased to hear it - waiting patiently popcorn::

jknepfle
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
DOH! I just spent a half hour writing a report and then "the DIS" lost it. :(

I'll rewrite tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :mad:

disneyjunebug
07-02-2007, 08:56 PM
The report keeps getting better! I love Cosmic Ray's! I've always made that a "must stop" for lunch! I've already informed DH that he will split the rib/chic combo with me if he wants to eat a breakfast platter at the CBR.

Dole whip floats are the living end..... Right up there with Mickey Bars.

Hey, and I found Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bars at Kroger this weekend! I lived in Bermuda for about 3 years and got adicted to Cadbury chocolate -- Ice cream isn't the same unless you have a Flake in it! -- and was surprised to see them at Krogers! Now if I could only find Smarties..... (the chocolate kind, not the sugar kind)

Keep on writing!

June

mumom95
07-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Hey, another Cincinnatian here. Loving your review so far. We are taking our first family trip this coming November. Can't wait to read more.

jknepfle
07-04-2007, 07:07 PM
The report keeps getting better! I love Cosmic Ray's! I've always made that a "must stop" for lunch! I've already informed DH that he will split the rib/chic combo with me if he wants to eat a breakfast platter at the CBR.

Dole whip floats are the living end..... Right up there with Mickey Bars.

Hey, and I found Cadbury Fruit and Nut Bars at Kroger this weekend! I lived in Bermuda for about 3 years and got adicted to Cadbury chocolate -- Ice cream isn't the same unless you have a Flake in it! -- and was surprised to see them at Krogers! Now if I could only find Smarties..... (the chocolate kind, not the sugar kind)

Keep on writing!

June

Fruit and nut at Kroger?! Say it ain't so?! Gonna have to stop by sometime soon and see if they have them here!

Hey, another Cincinnatian here. Loving your review so far. We are taking our first family trip this coming November. Can't wait to read more.

Glad to meet you! You will just love the World. Have a great time. Are you flying or driving? Personally I see the merits in both, but we were really happy to be able to fly this trip!

jknepfle
07-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Garden Grill (at the Land in Epcot)
This is one of those hidden gems, in my mind. Is the food out of this world? Nah...but it's really well prepared, fresh, and tasty. And, you can have as much as you want. What's not to love?! I have to admit to not being very excited when my parents wanted to take DW and I here once (pre-kids). It seemed like it was just going to be kinda run-of-the-mill. BUT, I knew to trust them. Their recommendations usually hold up. This place is no exception!

Like I said, the food is very good. It's not gourmet or particularly interesting, but it's very fresh and good. The atmosphere is also very fun. It's a circular restaurant that rotates around and you can see a couple different views of the Living With the Land ride down below. I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for a revolving restaurant. :) This year we were up in the upper tier (inside the "circle), and we've been on the lower tier before. The lower tables are much better - try to request one if you can. Also, they have characters (Pluto, Chip, Dale, and Mickey) dressed up in "farmer" gear. We've ALWAYS liked the characters here. For some reason, they just really seem to be overly friendly and playful and you seem to get to see them more than other places we've been. They've also been very good with our kids, and know when not to push the interaction, but also are good at figuring out what might entertain the kids.

But, I digress...on to the food! Lunch started with rolls and biscuits with Honey-Orange Blossom Butter. The rolls and biscuits are fine...nothing special. The real star here is the butter. It's sweet and buttery, a great start to the meal! They USED to have a multigrain sunflower seed bread that I think was far superior. But, this was still good.

Next, we were brought out a big plate filled with the following: turkey with cranberry sauce, flank steak with Mushroom Cabernet au Jus, fried catfish, cheesy potato casserole, green beans, carrots, and mini-squashes. It's served family style and you can always ask for more of anything. We asked for more catfish pretty quickly 'cause that's my favorite, and the kids like it too. For some reason, it's just a delicious no-frills fried catfish with a slight hint of pepper in the crust. It's always delicious and never dry, with just a mild fish taste. It's just great. The turkey is just ok...sort of dry, and tastes like it had been reheated from frozen. I'm not a fan of cranberry sauce, so I didn't try that. The flank steak is DW's favorite. It's very good...juicy with a really nice wine-y flavor from the sauce. We've usually asked for more of this too, but I think this time we did not. The veggies were just perfect. Crisp-tender, cooked perfectly, and tasted VERY fresh. I wouldn't be suprised if they were grown in the greenhouse below. In fact, I like to delude myself and think that they are. ;)

They also bring out plates of mac and cheese, chicken fingers and fries for the kids. They're more than welcome to eat what the adults have, but I guess those things don't appeal to a lot of kids. Ours ate some catfish, but mainly stuck with the "kids foods." And they seemed to like it, but I didn't try any.

Last but definitely not least was dessert! Dessert has been a lot of different things when we've been here. Last time (June '06), it was a sampler of 3 different desserts...not very memorable. They were fine, but nothing was outstanding from what I remember. Now, they serve "Very Berry Puff Pastry," and we thought it was a real step up. The dessert is a triangle of very puffy puff pastry with a kind of pastry cream/custard, mascerated berries and whipped cream. It was delicious. The berries were very fresh and sweet (naturally, I think!). The puff pastry was nicely crispy, and the custard/cream was rich and creamy. All together it was a nice refreshing dessert. Highly recommended - save room! For the kids they serve "decorate your own cupcakes" which always get rave reviews. It's great 'cause it gives the kids something to do so you can give the adult dessert it's proper attention. :)

In all, we really like this restaurant. I'm not 100% sure we'll be back here next time, but I definitely wouldn't be suprised if we do!

kileybeth
07-04-2007, 07:54 PM
subscibing. . .nice report so far! Loving the specifics.

My family is going in Sept. and will be trying some of the restaurants you are reviewing. We've never done to many TS in Disney before so this will be new for us. Have always loved the CS meals and eating around the world in Epcot is a special time when we send our big ones off with the little ones so we can relax and graze a bit.

Our youngest two are the same ages as yours and actually have the same costumes!! so cute!

Keep the reviews coming.

mumom95
07-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Glad to meet you! You will just love the World. Have a great time. Are you flying or driving? Personally I see the merits in both, but we were really happy to be able to fly this trip!

Well, we were originally going to drive, but we just found some fairly cheap flights on Southwest out of Columbus, so we decided to fly. I was originally looking forward to having a car while there, to use when the disney transportation would be inconvenient. So we thought maybe we'd rent a car, but I think we've decided we won't and we'll just pay for a cab for the few times that the transportation would be a pain. I did some research, and I think it will be definitely cheaper than renting a car for the week.

Still loving the report, and by the way your kids are so cute.

jknepfle
07-07-2007, 08:05 AM
subscibing. . .nice report so far! Loving the specifics.

My family is going in Sept. and will be trying some of the restaurants you are reviewing. We've never done to many TS in Disney before so this will be new for us. Have always loved the CS meals and eating around the world in Epcot is a special time when we send our big ones off with the little ones so we can relax and graze a bit.

Our youngest two are the same ages as yours and actually have the same costumes!! so cute!

Keep the reviews coming.

Cool!!! Have a great trip! Where are you staying?

Well, we were originally going to drive, but we just found some fairly cheap flights on Southwest out of Columbus, so we decided to fly. I was originally looking forward to having a car while there, to use when the disney transportation would be inconvenient. So we thought maybe we'd rent a car, but I think we've decided we won't and we'll just pay for a cab for the few times that the transportation would be a pain. I did some research, and I think it will be definitely cheaper than renting a car for the week.

Still loving the report, and by the way your kids are so cute.

Awesome!!! Other than the luggage logistics with a 2 and 4 year old, we loved flying!

wilma-bride
07-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like you really enjoyed Garden Grill - I think you might be right about the veggies being grown there. I am sure I have read or heard that somewhere before.

jknepfle
07-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Earl of Sandwich

DW loves to go to Downtown Disney to check out World of Disney, Once Upon A Toy, Disney's Days of Christmas, etc. So, this afternoon we headed over there for the afternoon. We had been trying to decide where to eat for a long time. We've eaten at Rainforest Cafe there a couple times, and we like it, but we don't love it. The theming is pretty cool in there, but the food is kind of mediocre, IMHO. Plus, our kids got a little scared of the storms and animatronics the last time. So, we decided to go the quick service route.

We couldn't decide between EOS and Wolfgang Puck Express, but ended up going to EOS. There was virtually no line, which was a bonus! I hear the line can get pretty long in there.

I decided on The Original 1762 which is described thusly: "fresh roasted beef, cheddar and creamy horseradish sauce." It's not the typical kind of thing I'd get, but it just sounded good at the time. It was just fine. There was an awful lot of sauce on it and the beef seemed a little squishy and not very well cooked. Now, I like my beef pretty medium rare, but this just didn't seem to have the right texture. The bread on the sandwich was good, but I don't think I'd gush over it.

DW got The Scuddeto, which is "salami, capicola, ham and mortadella with fresh sliced mozzarella, roma tomatoes and marinara." She liked it pretty much. I tasted it and it was good...just like any italian sub you'd get at a pizza place or similar. The meat seemed pretty fresh and good and the sauce was pleasant, too.

The kids shared the Pizza sandwich, which was what you'd expect....a hot toasted sandwich with sauce and cheese. I think they liked it, but didn't love it.

In all, we were pretty underwhelmed here. Maybe we just didn't make the right choices or maybe it just doesn't appeal to us. It was fine, and I'm not saying we'd never go back, but it just wasn't great at all.

Overall: C

Goofy's Candy Company
After we did a little shopping, it started to downpour! So, we headed on over to Goofy's Candy Company and let the kids pick out a treat. We had heard so much talk about the "create your own treat" that we couldn't pass it up. Basically, you can choose from pretzels, marshmallows, rice krispie treats, etc, and have them dipped (chocolate, white chocolate, etc) then covered in a topping (sprinkles, nuts, cookies, reese cups, etc) and then a drizzle (chocoloate, caramel, etc). Now, I don't know where they get it, but our kids love marshmallows. So, that's what they chose. They got it covered in chocolate then sprinkled with chocolate chips and sprinkles.

Here are some pics:

http://www.knepfle.com/gcc1.jpg

http://www.knepfle.com/gcc2.jpg

The kids seemed to like it, although it wouldn't have been my choice. I don't think DW or I tried them, so I can't give a good review other than their reaction. This kept them content for a pretty long time inside World of Disney, so I suppose it must have been good.

I will say one thing....Goofy's may not be the best place to ride out a storm. It's rather cramped in there and there's not really a whole lot of stuff to look at. I'd say your best bet is either WOD or Once Upon a Toy if you run into our problem (or...run from store to store thru the rain like we did!).

disneyjunebug
07-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure we will do EOS, but I definitely know we will do Goofy's, since my DS is a marshmellow fiend also! Where do these kids get this stuff? I can't stand to eat them! Maybe chocolate covered would taste better!

ufgator
07-07-2007, 04:46 PM
WARNING!
<DIGRESSION>
Has anyone noticed that channel 96 on TV shows old-time Disney cartoons? We found this last year when we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and it quickly became a favorite of our kids. This year, it even included one of those old Goofy cartoons where he's trying to ride a horse. If you haven't checked out channel 96 in the resort hotels, put it on your list for next time. As far as I know they don't advertise it, but it's just one of those "hidden gems" that is SO Disney.
</DIGRESSION>

I love this channel and the old Disney cartoons. :happytv:

Thanks for your reviews!

wilma-bride
07-09-2007, 12:35 PM
We love EOS - what a shame you didn't enjoy your experience.

And your kids have excellent taste - you can't beat chocolate-dipped marshmallows :thumbsup2

lgcountry
07-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Great job on the dining reviews. I don't think you would have a problem on a full fledged trip report. I for one would love to read it.

popcorn:: Waiting for more!

jknepfle
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure we will do EOS, but I definitely know we will do Goofy's, since my DS is a marshmellow fiend also! Where do these kids get this stuff? I can't stand to eat them! Maybe chocolate covered would taste better!

Hahaha...I'd definitely say the chocolate must have helped!

I love this channel and the old Disney cartoons. :happytv:

Thanks for your reviews!

I was so happy when I found that channel. We watched it the whole time we were there! Glad to have you reading the reviews!

We love EOS - what a shame you didn't enjoy your experience.

And your kids have excellent taste - you can't beat chocolate-dipped marshmallows :thumbsup2

Yeah...I'm sure we'll try it again at some point...I'll just have to try something else when we do!

Great job on the dining reviews. I don't think you would have a problem on a full fledged trip report. I for one would love to read it.

popcorn:: Waiting for more!

Cool! Maybe I'll get motivated to do it!!!

jknepfle
07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Pecos Bill's
This was one crowded day in the Magic Kingdom! We saw the Country Bears about 11 and decided to hit Pecos Bills' right next door immediately after. Apparently we weren't the only ones trying to avoid the crowds by going early, cause it was CROWDED!

Does anyone else remember when, attached to Pecos Bills, there was a place called the Mile Long Bar with windows on either side? I just vaguely remember it, but my parents talk about it all the time. Apparently, when I was young, we got chili there and it was really good....at 10:30 in the morning!!! :)

But, I digress...

I was in the mood for something a little different at this point, so I went with the BBQ Pork Sandwich with baked beans and fries. I didn't have high hopes, tho...like I said, I wasn't looking for anything spectacular, just something different. Boy, was I suprised!!! This was a GOOD sandwich! The roll was nice and big and soft without being too soft, plenty sturdy enough to hold in all that barbeque sauce and meat. I was very pleasantly suprised. Now, was it the best bbq I've ever had? No way. But, it's all about expectations...I expected cafeteria barbeque and got something significantly better. I was pretty happy with it! The beans it was served with were just fine...pretty mushy with a really sweet barbeque-y sauce, and the fries were good, as always. DW had a cheeseburger, but added bacon. The reason we like this place is the toppings bar....just like CR's, it's really good! She seemd pretty happy with it. The kids shared a cheeseburger, too, and seemed to like it well enough.

In all, we like this place. It's usually got plenty of seating, with air conditioning, and the toppings bar is great. Now, I like it even more since I know they have a good BBQ sandwich!

Plaza Ice Cream Parlor
By this time, we had done everything we really wanted to do, so we decided to do some shopping on Main St. We looked thru the Main Street Bakery, but nothing really struck us, so we headed to the Plaza Ice Cream parlor for some ice cream. It was really hot out so this sounded really good. We got 2 "Plaza" Ice Cream Sundaes which are described thusly: "Hot Fudge, whipped cream and a cherry served in waffle bowl".

They were pretty darn good! Nothing earth-shatteringly good, but good nonetheless. I was feeling pretty thirsty, so I was wishing I had gotten a float instead, but there's always next time, right!?

TigerKat
07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
I love a good BBQ sandwich, glad to know I have another option at Pecos!!:thumbsup2

DisneyJo
07-12-2007, 06:48 AM
They all sound great, my DD's have already decided we're spending some SC's at Goofys :)

agentpleakley
07-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your reviews. Awesome descriptions just awesome

Booknut
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
You know I usually drool over the photos but your reviews are so descriptive that they're doing the trick! Excellent reviews and your kids are adorable!

kileybeth
07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
aw, to bad about Earl. . .I stopped in 2 seperate times (alone, DH working while I hung around resort a couple days) and I honestly can not remember which sandwhich I chose (although not the roast beef I do know that) but I truly loved it. I also had a cup of soup one day that really hit the spot and I think a fruit type dessert cup thingy? (yeah, real discriptive I know) but all had me wanting to return to try more. Sometimes you just never can tell ya know?

Goofy's is on my Itinerary this trip. What cute faces on your little ones. Note to self: bring extra baby wipes this day, napkins will not suffice!

I do believe I vaguely remember chili at the mile long bar! wonder when that changed? like what year? anywho, also like Pecos for wraps myself and DH gets BBQ and kids burgers. A standby for my family each trip right before parade time usually.

Ice Cream on Mainstreet is a mixed memory for me. So tired by end of day and it usually finds me waiting for DH and older kids with a baby asleep in stroller while I indulge. . . 2 trips ago the night ended badly as my DS2 at the time (me 6mos. pregnant) had a seizure right in front of here. So my last memories are of someone pushing my stroller as someone else carried my child and someone else tried to locate my famiy and then we were in an ambulance. . scary stuff and altho we've been back since, I haven't eaten ice cream on Mainstreet again, probablly time to rectify that!

sounds like your family made some good choices and it's fun to read about your specific selections!

OhioTony
07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Maybe it's a Cincinnnati thing but we have either already eaten where you are reviewing and totally agree with you or we will be eating at some of the places you have reviewed when we go in December.
Great reports so far!

TruBlu
07-13-2007, 09:34 AM
You have me wishing we'd eaten at Garden Grill! We are going to replace our LTT character meal with GG next year. My boys LOVE cranberry sauce.

Thanks! :goodvibes