PDA

View Full Version : Flying Airtran out of Rochester... need advice (xposted)

J&ADisneyMom
06-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi

I'm in upstate, closer to Syr but airfare is so high now. I was hoping for a good ding out of Albany but it looks like flying out of Rochester may be a better bet for us, saving us close to $200. I've never flown out of Rochester. Is it hard to get to the airport from the thruway? How is the parking situation? How was Airtran to fly? Did you pay to get a seat assignment or wait? I have a 3 year old and 6 year.

TIA,
Shell

madrow12
06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I live 45 minutes from the Rochester airport and have flown out of it many times. The airport is very close to the exit, don't worry it will not be difficult to get to. I am also flying out of Rochester this August on Airtran I have not flown with this airline before but I can't imagine it would be that different from any other, the good thing is that it's a short flight. If your worried about seats with your children I would have your travel agent book your seats now. I have two small children ages three and 21 months so seating was important to me, I was able to book our seats all together on the departure and returning flight with our travel agent. I hope that this was able to help.

disprincessatheart
07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I grew up in Rochester, and worked at the icecream place that was across the street from the airport (I dont' think it's there now). ANYWAY, the Rochester Airport is immediately off the expressway (390 if I'm remembering my roads correctly today) and it'd be almost impossible to get lost comming off the thruway. The airport itself is nice but smaller, and very easy to navigate (unlike the Raleigh airport that I fly out of to get home to Rochester - YUCK!). You'll find the wait times for checking in and security very short unless you're going first thing in the morning. The last time I flew thru there in March I arrived 50 minutes before my flight and I was still waiting at the gate for 30 minutes before they boarded. I think it was 10 minutes from the time I stepped out of the car until I'd checked in at the desk, gone thru security and was sitting at my gate. I think you'll be happy with your decision.

cervonime
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
We have flown AirTran from Rochester to Orlando many times and never had any problems. We have always been on time and never had a problem with luggage. We will be flying in August with them again. Because we are taking our two girls, we decided to pay the extra charge to pick our seats. We got $84, one way, tickets and look forward to flying with them next month.

J&ADisneyMom
07-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I did it... it booked Air Tran out of Rochester. I got $84 one way and paid the extra ($104) return to get a better time. It will save us approx $200 when all is said and done. Hopefully the ride there (2 1/2 hours) won't be too much of a drag.

Thanks again everyone for all of the info!
Shell