PDA

View Full Version : This may sound silly but....

_tinkerbell_
06-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Im from the Uk and ive been looking through the food posts (im so hungry now :rolleyes: ) This might sound silly to you but what is a biscuit in america?? I've heard "biscuits and gravy" so many times on T.v and on the internet but i dont have a clue what it is :confused3.

What we call a biscuit is actually what you call a cookie, however we call chocolate chip biscuits, cookies...if you get me?? (very confusing)

Anyway back on topic ... what is a biscuit? lol :)

DisGirlAllie
06-22-2007, 09:08 AM
I know what you mean but I don't know how to explain it.
It has like flour, baking powder, salt, and you put butter on them.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/DisGirlAllie/BakingPowderBiscuits.jpg

_tinkerbell_
06-22-2007, 09:53 AM
oh kk thanks, i sorta get it now :)

#1TiggerFan
06-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Well there all sorts of biscits. Like sweet rolls, homemade, bistcit with sauge, etc. You will love biscits a lot. trust me!:thumbsup2

_tinkerbell_
06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Well there all sorts of biscits. Like sweet rolls, homemade, bistcit with sauge, etc. You will love biscits a lot. trust me!:thumbsup2

mmmmm thanks cant wait to try them...and everything else! :rolleyes:

JulielovesDisney
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I know what you mean but I don't know how to explain it.
It has like flour, baking powder, salt, and you put butter on them.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/DisGirlAllie/BakingPowderBiscuits.jpg

They are deeee-lish!! That picture looks so yummy right now!

Raichu
06-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I hate the food posts. They always get me so hungry lol.

AngienLuLu
06-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Mmmmm. Biscuits.

Sparx
06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Think of a buttermilk flavored shortcake.

BabyPiglet
06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Love biscuits. And loooove biscuits and sausage gravy.

wishspirit
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I have the same problem! I get so confused in America, someone offered me a biscuit and i said yes and out comes this bread like thing which is kinda like a savory scone and takes some getting used to!

Also what is shortening? Is it lard? Cause ive got an American Recipe off the internet which says i need shortening but i havent a clue what it is!!

I also get confused with the whole, Crisp, Chip, Fries thing! I asked for Chips in Disney (meaning the hot fries kind) and got a packet of Crisps (cold potato snack kind) and was to embarresed to change the order so i bought them anyway!

I also dont understand what a Nickle, Dime etc are which would be REALLY helpful when i go to america!

BabyPiglet
06-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Biscuit is a savory scone type thing.

Shortening is lard.

Chip are the crunchy Lays type thing. They're not....cold though. Crisps aren't anything in American Logo. Fries are strip of potato either fried or baked and the seasoned. Ya know.

Dime - 10 Cents Nickel - 5 Cents
Quarter - 25 cents

Sparx
06-23-2007, 07:22 PM
I have the same problem! I get so confused in America, someone offered me a biscuit and i said yes and out comes this bread like thing which is kinda like a savory scone and takes some getting used to!

Also what is shortening? Is it lard? Cause ive got an American Recipe off the internet which says i need shortening but i havent a clue what it is!!

I also get confused with the whole, Crisp, Chip, Fries thing! I asked for Chips in Disney (meaning the hot fries kind) and got a packet of Crisps (cold potato snack kind) and was to embarresed to change the order so i bought them anyway!

I also dont understand what a Nickle, Dime etc are which would be REALLY helpful when i go to america!
Chips=cold potatoes
Fries=hot potatoes
Shortening=lard
Nickel=5 pennies
dime=10 pennies
quarter=25 pennies
dollar=100 pennies
biscuit=scone
cookie=something sweet.

Babyjustrun
06-23-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.innonthecove.com/images/column_photos/yorkshire_pudding_recipe.jpg

Yorkshire pudding with beef gravy = love.

wishspirit
06-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Thank you guys!

I will come here for any more America Related qustions, of which i have A LOT!

BabyPiglet
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Thank you guys!

Anytime. :]

C.J. Sparrow
06-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Chips=Crisps
Fries=Chips
Cookies=A delicious sweet pastry thingy
Penny=1 cent
Nickle=5 cents
Dime=10 cents
Quarter=25 cents
Dollar=100 cents

C.J. Sparrow
06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Thank you guys!

Ask me anything.

_tinkerbell_
06-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks everyone!:goodvibes