PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks of Disney Dining June1-14

SnowWitch
06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm sorry, I did not take photos of food but I greatly appretiate those who do. With 2 teens and 2 under 2 in our party our goal is to keep everyone seated and calm. In the coming days I will post more specific reviews of our sit down meals which were as follows:

Narcossee's
Boma x 2
Kona Cafe x2
Ohana
1900 Park Faire
Le Cellier
Coral Reef x 2
Wolfgang Puck Cafe
Crystal Palace
Beaches and Cream

Counter Service
Wolfgang Puck Express
Casey's Corner
Tusker House
Flametree BBQ
Fish and Chips Stand at UK
Norway
Sunshine Seasons
Beachclub Marketplace
Hurricane Hannas
Cpt. Cooks
Various CS at water parks (teens)

I must say overall the TS were just okay with a few exceptions. Narcossees was such a wonderful experience we have decided to do a min of 2 Signature Restraurants on our next trip. Le Cellier was a good experience and the 2 character meals were surprisingly good. After Coral Reef being a standout from last years trip we found it only mediocare at best this trip and that was with 2 visits this trip. Although the new Jack Daniels Mousse dessert is great! The Kona Cafe also being one of our long time favorites was dimmed slightly in our eyes this trip, we ended up canceling our 3rd ressie there for later in the trip.

I must admit I may be about to jump on the "The DDP is affecting quality" band wagon.

disneymom2twins
06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah!! Can't wait!

TigerKat
06-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Bring it on!:banana:

SnowWitch
06-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I will start with the meal that impressed us all, Narcoossee's. We had 6 in our party myself, DH, sons (14 & 17), and DD's a freshly turned 2 and 6 months.

We had an adr for 6pm on a Sat. evening. I would love to dine here during Wishes but our DD's can't be up that late just yet and be pleasant.

Our server, was Harvey, who by far and away blew all other servers away. He was pleasant but not overly so and was just wonderful. We started with an appletini and I don't remember what the husband had but appes were crab cakes x 2, calamari, and chilled rock shrimp. The crab cakes served with Remoulade and Frisee slaw were great, alot of crab. The calamari was a little more on the chewy side than I expected and the rock shrimp were great, three very large shrimp served with a cucumber avocado salsa. The three men in the group all had the surf and turf. I had the filet but requested scallops instead of the standard lobster tail. The scallops were fabulous as was the filet. The men all enjoyed the filet and lobster. The steaks were all ordered medium and all were cooked as ordered. Desserts: Almond-crusted Cheesecake with Lambert Cherry Sauce, best cheesescake I have had in years! The teens ordered the Warm Chocolate Almond Gateau - with vanilla bean whipped cream, I must admit looked great but I had had enough chocolate at this point in the trip. Our 2 yr old DD ordered a burger and applesause which she enjoyed.

We were on the DDP. This meal required 8 credits. Our 2 yr old's meals were paid OOP. Our total including drinks, her child's meal, and extra tip for Harvey was alittle over $435.

By far the best meal of the trip! Everyone rated this meal a 9.5.

natalielongstaff
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
great review :) looking forward to hearing more

SnowWitch
06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Next up Le Cellier

Appetizers
Shrimp Cocktail w/ wasabi slaw and horseradish chili sauce

Three of us ordered this and really enjoyed it. This is a staple item for our group, I still miss the old presentation in the chinese take out box.

Duck Two Ways - duck confit and seared smoked duck breast with Chambord syrup

My husband ordered the duck and ate every bite.

Entrees
DS#2 Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - Baby Bella wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce, topped with fried parsnips

DS#1 14 oz. New York Strip Steak - with balsamic red onions, watercress, and roasted Yukon gold potatoes, and finished with veal demi glace

Myself and DH, 7 oz. Filet Mignon - glazed with maple barbecue sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes

All of us enjoyed our steaks, the mashed potatoes were fabulous. I tried the risotto and I have determined I am not a risotto kind of girl.

We were all stuffed at this point and requested our desserts to go so we all selected the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake - chocolate cake brushed with Canadian whiskey, layered with chocolate mousse, finished with tarragon anglaise, topped with a chocolate curl . We felt it would travel best. I must say it was quite the dissappointment to an otherwise very good meal. The cake was horribly dry!! I was sad to see the strawberry dessert that was on the menu was no longer there.

Good food and great service. We will give this an 8, the cake was bad.

Robert P
06-22-2007, 01:58 PM
keep them coming....

NanaDarling
06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! I am relieved to read that Narcoossee's was a good experience. We will be celebrating my birthday there in September and I will need a good experience to dull the pain! :laughing:

OKWMom
06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Great reviews. We also love Narcoossee's and dining there has become a tradition for us. I also agree with your husband about the duck at LeCellier - it was fabulous. My husband ordered that on our last visit and he gave me one bite, just one. I guess I was lucky to get that because the plate was clean when he finished. I hope it is still on the menu when we get there in November.

Minniespal
06-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Excellent ~ Looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2

donaldtutter
06-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Awesome reviews!!:thumbsup2

always on vacation
06-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the reviews

natalielongstaff
06-24-2007, 12:11 PM
the food you had at Le Cellier sounds lovely, shame about the cake tho

NJDISMOM
06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Great Reviews! Can't wait to see more!:banana:

undertheseas
06-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! I can't wait to go back to Narcoosees and Le Cellier! :goodvibes

Schucraig
06-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Great reviews so far! I can't wait for more!:banana:

SnowWitch
06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry all for the delay but I have been working this weekend. I will add a quick one but sad to say one of the more dissappointing of the trip.

Beaches and Cream

We have long been devote lovers of BC. We loved the burgers, we loved the ice cream, we just loved it. However, this trip not so much. We loved the ice cream, the No Way Jose is so worth going there that its just not funny but the burgers were just not that great this trip. They were average. We all had burgers, the 14 yr old and I split because thats just to much food. My 17 yr old son only ate half of his burger and then said it just wasn't appetizing. I ate about half of my half. The burger was just not nearly as good as they have been in the past. The onion rings were great. The ice cream fabulous!!! Our rating:5, I have always felt this place was way over priced and now that the burgers aren't barely edible its score will reflect. However, the ice cream gets them the 5. Will we return? Yes and we did even after this expereince on this trip. But we only ordered a No Way Jose and 2 Mudslides. That visit gets a 9.

Busymom85
06-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I look forward to the rest. We are going to Le Cellier
in Dec. I can't wait.

MA pigletfan
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I will start with the meal that impressed us all, Narcoossee's. We had 6 in our party myself, DH, sons (14 & 17), and DD's a freshly turned 2 and 6 months.

We had an adr for 6pm on a Sat. evening. I would love to dine here during Wishes but our DD's can't be up that late just yet and be pleasant.

Our server, was Harvey, who by far and away blew all other servers away. He was pleasant but not overly so and was just wonderful.
By far the best meal of the trip! Everyone rated this meal a 9.5.

we had Harvey too..he was wonderful for us as well. It will be hard not to go back to Narcossees in Dec...as there are alot of other restaurants we want to try..but it was just so good :) great reviews by the way!:goodvibes

JPoppins
06-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Great Reviews!! Thank you!

SnowWitch
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I will address the three buffets we dined at on this post. I will start with 1900 Park Faire. We took our 2 little princess to this, the boys (14 & 17) decided to hop off to a park. The Fairy Godmother was in the lobby area for pics and autographs. We met Cindy, Prince Charming, Suzy, and Pearle during dinner. The kids options were fairly standard of any Disney buffet, the 2 yr old enjoyed it. The Dh and myself found the adult selections quite good. I finally tried the chilled strawberry soup I had read about and I really liked it. They had the 2nd best salmon of the trip. I felt the dessert selections were a bit of a let down but the fudge brownie with vanilla sauce was quite satisfying. All in all a really nice character buffet, we would rate it a solid 7 based on service, food, and character interaction.

Crystal Palace Again the teens skipped this so it was DH, myself, DD 2, and DD 6 mon. Character interaction was only okay here, the characters were a tad rushed which was a shame because they are AnnaJ's favorites. Refills on drinks were also a tad slow but the food was very good for a buffet. I love the salad selection, the prine rib was good, and the spoonable corn bread is fabulous. Although the dessert selection here is better than 1900 Park, the quality is lacking. We would give this one a 5. We will return here only because Anna loves this set of characters so much but the character interaction will have to improve on the next visit.

Boma We were a party of 6 on both visits here. My teens love this place. My DH and I enjoy it but would dine here only once per trip if it wasn't for the boys insistance. We find the selection good, the meats fabulous. We love their prime rib, beef tips, and I can't remember which salmon it was (Tuesdays) but it was wonderful. Although I don't love the soups I like trying different ones. I must admit we are all devote zebra dome lovers, Anna (2) tried them and she even loves them. And the coconut tiramisu....oh lord I could just a eat a bowl of it. Service was also good. Score 8.5 and I am never that generous with buffets.

In general I'm not a huge fan of buffets but the 2 yr old enjoys the characters and it is normally a nice and relaxed way to spend time with them. When my girls reach an age where they are no longer interested in characters I will no longer do these meals. But until that happens we will schedule 1-2 per trip. Boma on the other hand is a buffet that we have enjoyed for years on every trip. I am not a lover nor hater of this buffet but I find that they have many options to chose from, some more interesting than others but yet there is even for meat and potatoe lovers (my teens for example) to enjoy.

lisaj
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm - bang goes the diet again!

ufgator
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks for your reviews so far!

SnowWitch
06-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Kona Cafe

We dined here twice. Our first weekend we stayed at the Poly and had lunch here. We were our party of 6. We wanted to eat lighter since we had a fairly early adr for Le Cellier that evening. We had 3 chicken sandwiches. Two were ordered with the slaw and one with fries. One cheeseburger and fries and AnnaJ had mac/Cheese. The chicken sandwiches were great but the slaw was gross, the teen woofed down the burger with no complaints as did AnnAJ with the mac/cheese. We ordered 3 tortes to shate and they were fabulous. I will mention at this point they were served with ice cream. Service was great but I believe our bill for 4 sandwiches, 5 drinks, kids mac/chesse, and 3 tortes before tip was somewhere in the neighborphood of $96. This is argument for the savings of the ddp.

Our second trip to Kona was for dinner on the ddp.
Appes
Crabcakes x 2
wings x 2

The crabcakes are good but not great. The greens that accompany the crabcakes really add to this dish without them I would not enjoy them nearly as much. The wings are fabulous.

Entrees
Filet x2
PrimeRib
The noodle dish w/ chicken

The filets were great, the prime rib good but a bit fatty, and the noodles did not impress DS#2. He barely touched it and this was not noticed by the server, she did not bother to inquire if he did not enjoy his meal. AnnaJ ordered a kids meal. For dessert torte x2, kiddie cone, and cheesecake. Now this is where I became rather annoyed. Remember when I mentione dthe torte came with ice cream at lunch......well it has every time we have ever ordered in our many trips to the Kona. So imagine my surprise when the tortes are served with no ice cream. I asked the server who politely told me we could pay extra. I said really it wasn't extra when I ordered them for lunch 3 days ago and paid cash. She went and spoke to her manager who of course sent over ice cream but I was still very bothered by this. If I'm paying cash its not extra but if I'm on the ddp its extra.?.?.? Ummm doesn't sound right to me.

John's Mom
06-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for sharing your reviews!

mamasha
06-30-2007, 09:47 AM
....very strange about the ice cream at Kona:confused3
Was the noodles part of a pasta dish? My son would like that with sauce.
Thanks

LeeLee2U
06-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Great reviews! I am taking notes!!!

SnowWitch
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
....very strange about the ice cream at Kona:confused3
Was the noodles part of a pasta dish? My son would like that with sauce.
Thanks

It was very similiar to a lo mein dish.

Tinkerbell_Girl
06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the reviews!

SnowWitch
07-05-2007, 12:17 AM
It looks like Wolfgang Puck is the last of my TS restaurants to review. This was a last minute replacement for an adr that was canceled at Kona Cafe. We were leaving for the beach and just had an early lunch.

We had a double stroller which they gladly accomodated and I mention this because at many of the Park and Resort places I would get this look from the CM's like, "Oh god". Not at them all but Kona would be one where the CM's irritation at the idea of a stroller at a table was just unbearable. Our daughter who was 6 months old on this trip was not sitting up well. We did manage to hold her through several meals like the Coral Reef but it was less than a relaxing meal.

Off soap box. Our server was great. Appes. were the spring rolls which were okay, I would not order these again, BBq chichken quesdillas- the CS version is actually much better, crab cakes- the best of the trip. I thought actually a tab better than Narccossee's. Entrees- Meatloaf - Pork and veal with garlic mashed potatoes and crispy onion ring, husband loved it, Puck Burger - Vermont Cheddar, smoked bacon, hose mad pickles with french fries, 17 yr old ate every bite, and finally Chicken Aioli Panini - Sliced grilled chicken breast, grilled sourdough, melted provolone, red onions, tomato and cilantro aioli, shared by myself and the 14 yr old, I liked it and he loved it. We all had I believe the flourless choclate cake, whihc was good but way to rich for my blood. Rating- 6.5. Will we return, I would like to try it for dinner before I decide.

wilma-bride
07-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Great reviews - we will be dining at WPC, Le Cellier and Kona in August. I plan to have the torte at Kona and we are on DDP so will be interested to see if it comes with ice-cream ;)

SnowWitch
07-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Counter Service

Wolfgang Puck Express
Absolutely the best quality and value with the DDP. We ate here on 4 different occasions. Loved it!!!

Casey's Corner
We really enjoyed our hot dogs from here, they were meuch better than I remember. We will definitely return. The only downside is if you have a child that doesn't eat hot dogs then you have to find food for them elsewhere.

Tusker House
A longtime favorute but we noticed the portion size on the potatoes is about 1/3 of what it was last year and the prepackaged cake (But it was actually pretty good). Sad to see this one go.

Flametree BBQ
We tried this place for the first time this trip in preperation of our beloved Tusker House being no more. We really enjoyed the food. The appearance of the ribs and beans is rather the put off but it tasted great for CS. We will return.

Fish and Chips Stand at UK
A bit dissappointed not as good as we remember and the CM's were somewhat short. We won't return.

Norway
We stopped here for snacks for the teens. They enjoyed the choc cake, which looked fabulous. We have always enjoyed the dessert selection here.

Sunshine Seasons
Okay one word GROSS. Worst we had the whole trip. I had the veggie sandwich which was great but my 14 yr old barely touched his black forest ham sandwich and the chinese was so greasy it was inedible. NEVER EVER AGAIN!

Beachclub Marketplace
Just okay here, nothing really bad but nothing really good either. The selection was small.

Hurricane Hannas
Okay for pool food nothing great nothing horrible.

Cpt. Cooks
The food we ate here was good, the flatbreads, pulled pork sandwich, and burgers. But if we ahd stayed here longer they selection would have become old fast. We also enjoyed the breakfast platters. The tonga toast although not as good as Kona was very good for a counter service.

Various CS at water parks (teens)
The guys ate your standard burgers, chicken, and hot dogs.

SnowWitch
07-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Summary

I was amazed at the quality of the character meals. I won't cringe quite as bad next year when booking them.

Old favorites that did not dissappoint- Le Cellier. The food quality at Kona was still wonderful but the service and disorganization with the DDP will keep me away for a while. Ohana was a surprise hit with the family. Coral Reef is off the list for next year just to "okay" this year. We may try Wolfgang Puck for dinner next year. Boma was what it always is, consistently good and offers a wide variety. Narcossee's the absolute standout. So much so next year we will add another 2 TS dinner to our plans. It seems the idea is quanity not quality. I prefer the later.

CS standouts, Flametree, Wolfgang Pucks, Caseys.

We will not return to Sunshine or UK's Fish and Chips.

Tink3Belle
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank You So Much For The Great Articles.

tinkerbellgirl93
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Great Reviews! On our trip (in six days) we're eating at Le Cellier, Kona Cafe, Boma, Coral Reef, and Beaches and Cream, so your reviews really helped us out!:thumbsup2