PDA

View Full Version : O'hana is no longer on "the list"

starbox
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
O'hana is one of our favorite restaurants - one of the few on "the list" of places we must visit on every single trip. We've always loved the food and the atmosphere, and I am a fan of the newer menu with the potatoes and bread pudding.

However, our visit two weeks ago was just not good. The service was incredibly rushed, food all served at the same time (we got the check before we got dessert). The server had no personality. Lipoa was not there, instead there was a guy that seemed a little creepy with his hula instructions (asking the little girls to do a "fruit salad" with their hips was just weird from a youngish guy). The "steak" was practically raw and so tough that it was inedible (although the turkey was delicious). Hopefully, we just hit a bad night, but for now, we've sadly delisted O'hana. :confused:

mmps108
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Your review is what I am afraid of...we have an ADR in August for O'Hana. Since I made the ressie I've heard mixed reviews of this restaurant including a HUGE thumbs up from my TA.
I wanted to eat at the Poly once this trip because we can't aford to stay there :) and now I'm thinking I should switch our ressie to Kona cafe.
My DH and I spent our honeymoon in Maui and the macadamia nut mahi mahi sounds like the same dish we ate every day there!

Any thoughts?

Joan S.
06-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi Does anyone have a BETTER review of a recent dining experience at Ohana?? We have ADRS for July 3rd and I am wondering if we should keep them?? Thanks, Joan

5onadime
06-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I hate to add another negative - - but, we really disliked this resteraunt. The food wasn't very good and the service was quite lack luster.:headache:

katebeth
06-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I have to agree with how rushed O'hana's is. We went for our first time last October and felt so rushed, that we couldn't even enjoy our food. As soon as one dish was brought out, another came out right behind it. The food is good, but I do wish they would not rush you so much

starbox
06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I will say that some of our favorite meals at Disney have been at O'hana. Hopefully, we just hit a bad night. I really, really hope they have not lowered the quality because it's so popular that they figure the food does not need to be good to keep it booked. I will try it again eventually because we've loved it so much in the past - but it is off the "must eat on every trip" list :sad:

Schucraig
06-19-2007, 09:39 PM
We did not have a good meal here either. It's not on our list of places to return.

iteachlit
06-19-2007, 10:57 PM
We tried O'hana for the first time last June. It will be the last time.

All of the food tasted similar, with a noticeable butane taste. It's probably what they use to fuel the spit.

We felt that the meat was tough and dried. We loved the atmosphere and the kids liked the activities (coconut races, hula lessons, songs), but the food was not very good.

One exception: the bread pudding was delicious.

apirateslife4us!
06-19-2007, 11:05 PM
We loved Ohana! We went for the first time this past Wednesday June 13 and CM Patrick was our wonderful waiter. He didn't rush us at all, was very attentive and even sent a server with more shrimp over to our table before we even had to ask (DD couldn't get enough!). It was our favorite dinner of the whole trip... maybe we're easy to please, we hardly ever treat ourselves to nice dinners :confused3

Summer-Caitlin
06-20-2007, 04:15 AM
I am trying O'hanas for the first time in August as part of our honeymoon. In the past I have heard great things about this place but I'm beginning to get concerend now, esp about the rushing. Is there anyway you can tell them you want to linger over your food, also can I ask to be seated in a quieter area? We have booked this on our arrival day for dinner it will be my mom, fiance and myself (4 days before the wedding, already stressed:eek: )
What does everyone think?

kim5678
06-20-2007, 05:40 AM
:flower1: We had a wonderful dinner at Ohana's! We went April 28 to be exact!
All of the meat was cooked to perfection. We make it a point to eat there every trip, but this visit the food was outstanding! Enjoy!:crazy:

BrianD
06-20-2007, 05:43 AM
It is really ashame to hear this about 'Ohana. We haven't eaten there since the menu change, but hope to this year. In the past, we never felt rushed. I can only guess that the rushing is to get more people in and out of the restaurant, to allow for more ADR's, now that ADR's are so hard to come by, thanks to the DDP. Oh, how I miss the old days of Disney dining.

clombardi
06-20-2007, 05:51 AM
'Ohana was also a must-do for our family for years. Our last two visits have been down right gross. I hate to say that because I know it will upset some people who are 'Ohana devotees.

On our next to last trip, in Dec 2006, we were so displeased with it that we swore we'd never eat there again. But in February 2007, we went thinking we'd just hit an off night in Dec. Same experience. We still love Kona though!

Tink10
06-20-2007, 08:17 AM
It's gone downhill....

I keep wanting to go back to Ohana for sentimental reasons, but our last meal there was not good. The Lapu Lapu's are what made it tolerable.

MommySiobhan
06-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit. :(

We had our first visit to O'hana's last August and it's not one that I added this time around either. :confused3

mom2my3kids
06-20-2007, 08:39 AM
This is the first time we are eating on our arrival night. I am excited, I don't mind them bring all the food at once we are there to eat.. But I just hope the food is good and drinks keep coming..

Minniespal
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Shame that you had such a bad experience. Ohana is a must of us every trip as well.

Disney8704
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
What about the breakfast? Anyone ate there lately and give bad reviews? DH and I wanna try it in Aug 2008. The dinner menu doesnt look appealing to us and we LOVE character meals and Stitch is one of my favs so we thought we would give this one a try.

wilma-bride
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
What a shame you had such a bad experience. Like you say, you normally enjoy it so it may ahve been an 'off' night :confused3

SnowWtch
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Our first time was June 9 and we loved it. We even got seated 2 hours before our actual ressie. True, it was rushed to get the appetizers on the table but from then on our server said to take our time. He was very attentive and made sure we had drinks and hot towels for our hands. The food was great. I'm sort of a food snob so I was a little worried but the food tasted quite good. The steak I had was a little undercooked but DH's piece was perfect. I even ate shrimp and I never eat shrimp especially not something I have to get my hands dirty and peel myself. Lipoa was there and I did the hula which was strange for me to actually participate in something. Guess I got caught up in the moment. The atmosphere there was just so lively and it wasn't that noisy at all. Not even when the coconut races were going on. It was a perfect evening there. I was worried about the reviews I was reading too but I'm glad I didn't listen or I would have missed out on a great evening. It just depends on when you go and who you get as a server.

skiingwife
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
We had a great meal at Ohana in December, and it is our one must do restaurant this October. I can see how people feel rushed, but when we weren't ready for the next course, we told our server we weren't ready and they had no problem coming back later. We were still eating our bowl of shrimp when they tried to give us the meat, and we said no to the meat but asked them to bring another bowl of shrimp. So we were able to take our time and enjoy it.

MsStinkerBelle
06-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Interesting. My sister, DD7 and I had dinner at 'Ohana around Easter and the food was WONDERFUL! We had a seat right near the fire pit and Lipoa was so entertaining. Our food did come out quickly but our server (who was excellent by the way) explained that they did this so you could get a quick taste of everything and then decide what you would like more of. We decided pretty quickly that my daughter's favorite was the wings, we loved the ribs, chicken, shrimp, but wasn't keen on the sausage. Our server brought out more of our favorites.

The bread pudding was spectacular and we're not fans of bread pudding at all. Ate this along with some glow-tinis while watching Wishes.

Any restaurant can have an 'off' night but even though 'Ohana was packed to the gills with people, our meal was tasty and our server was very accomodating. :thumbsup2

hildarumpole
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
We ate breakfast and dinner at Ohana during our trip the first 2 weeks of June and were not impressed. I read reviews prior to booking and was looking forward to some nice meals, but they didn't pan out. The service was lacking at both meals, but breakfast was the worst. Our dinner waitress was not very attentive and we felt rushed by the quick piling up of the food before we had a chance to really eat anything. Also, the meat was terrible. The turkey was o.k., but everything else was dry and had an overwhelming grill taste. The pork was like a hockey puck. The other items (shrimp, salad, bread pudding) were all very good, but not worth returning.

Breakfast was the worst service of our entire trip. We waited a long time to be seated. Our waitress was completely disorganized and ridiculously slow. She came to our table right away, introduced herself, then disappeared for 10 min. before we could even ask for coffee. When she finally came back with juice, we had to ask her for a fruit plate, which she brought over quickly. She asked us if we'd had any waffles. It was clear we hadn't had anything. She sent someone over with waffles, but then it was a total of 35 min. after seating that we finally got our platter. The character interaction was great and kept us entertained while we waited for our food, but the service was so poor and the food average, we won't go back.

Disneydreamer5
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I am alittle afraid to go there now. I had booked ADR's for Ohona for our last trip in 05 and ended up cancealing at the last minute as we were all just exhausted and opted to get something back at our resort instead.
Soon after arriving home we starting read about Ohona and everyone agreed we should have never cancealed and the next trip we are going for sure.
Now after reading all your comments I am not so sure.:confused3
I was also wondering if we do go I noticed on the menu they offer Burgers,chicken fingers and such for children as an alteritive, I was just wondering, I have a picky 13 & 14 year old and although in the eyes of Disney they are no longer children, do you think they would allow them to get burgers or chicken fingers too?:sad2:
Seriously though, should I try to get ressie's somewhere esle? There are 7 of us and all our dinners are for later in the evening when the parks close and I do not want to be rushed.:surfweb:
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

starbox
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
What about the breakfast? Anyone ate there lately and give bad reviews? DH and I wanna try it in Aug 2008. The dinner menu doesnt look appealing to us and we LOVE character meals and Stitch is one of my favs so we thought we would give this one a try.

Well, we actually also ate breakfast on our last trip! (O'hana really was one our favorite restaurants). We paid cash for breakfast and used the DDP for the dinner - but I did not see any difference in the service - our server was not very personable or attentive either time and DH and I were asked how old we were before they let us get coffee which was weird. (This was not in a joking "cousin" way either).

Both meals were packed with people. BUT - the breakfast food was quite good and there was not a rush since the characters have to have time to circulate and that takes awhile. We got refills on everything we asked for. Overall, breakfast was much, much better and closer to the O'hana we know and love. :thumbsup2

marcyinPA
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Don't cancel your ADR's. I'm a believer of trying something for yourself first before you decide you won't like it.

We had dinner at Ohana for the second time this past May. It wasn't as good as our first time there (both were since the menu change...so same menu both times). But the food wasn't awful by any stretch. We did feel rushed this time around....the food just kept coming and coming, and we had to keep rearranging the table instead of just relaxing and eating. When they came with the meats the first time, we just politely said "no thank you, not right now" and they came back later with them.

We've decided that although we didn't HATE the place, we've BTDT and don't feel the need to keep it on our list. But we'll probably go back again, just not on the next trip.

Marcy

disneygal2007
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Try it anyway. O'hana we were there in Feb and it was great. I hope u go. I ate so much (Belch) I get kinda sick just thinking about it. It was sooo good. 2nd time we went.

disneygal2007
06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
The breakfast was soso. We went there in Feb 06 and I was starving and all I ate was the bacon cause the waffles we hard and the eggs were cold. I hope it wa just the day..

OKWMom
06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
We went in early May (dinner) and thoroughly enjoyed it. We thought the food was good and we had a wonderful server (Eleana). She was pleasant and organized and offered alternative selections for the girls before I even had a chance to ask. We have reservations for our November trip and I hope we don't catch it on a bad night.

maxie
06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
We ate there for the first time this past January. We absolutely LOVED it!! Being able to see Wishes from our table was awesome.

Katiebell
06-20-2007, 01:19 PM
We went to breakfast at 'Ohana in May, and it was wonderful. The food was delicious, and our waitress was friendly, funny, and efficient. There was plenty of food, and she brought more of what we liked. I raved about the pineapple bread, and she brought out more, and even was able to bring me the recipe. :goodvibes The character interaction was fantastic -- Experiment 626 is DH's favorite character, so this breakfast was a must do for us. We loved it and will DEFINITELY go back. :thumbsup2

Any restaurant or server can have an off day. Try it for yourself -- and certainly don't be afraid of any restaurant. Good heavens, if you've eaten at a hospital, a school cafeteria, or McDonald's, you can survive any dining experience at Disney :rotfl2:

ADP
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
For some reason this restaurant gets the best and worst reviews I've seen...Both ends of the spectrum! :headache:

It's on our family's must do's every trip. I personally have never had a bad meal at Ohana, but I could see how it is possible.

I don't like rushed service, but I do like to eat at a good pace. The last thing I want to do on our WDW vacation is sit in a restaurant waiting for food. To us, our time is too precious and valuable while at WDW. We are usually in and out of Ohana in 45 minutes to an hour and very satisfied! :) Our next move is usually hopping the monorail to the MK! :woohoo:

I've had parts of our meal overlap each other and I kind of like it. Appatizers come out, then after a while, meats get served. If you want more just ask. The dessert usually comes out just as we are finishing our meats. I think the feeling of being rushed is just part of the way the meal is served....Family style! I don't think the servers clock each table to pace the food. After a while I think they just lose track.

As for the food quality it just depends on who is cooking the food that night. You are going to have some cooks that are better than others. It's that way all across WDW restaurants. Some cooks believe in overcooking meat, while others may believe in using a lot of spice (salt & pepper). It's a cook's personal preference; and hopefully it matches your pallette.

Just my two cents!

MomtoEmIs&Ow
06-20-2007, 01:45 PM

We REALLY enjoyed the breakfast. My favourite was the pineapple bread YUM! Everything else was good too,and good character interaction. Our kids really liked it too!

krismom
06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
We had a disappointing meal last May as well. We were seated behind the wall area and felt really "out of the action" and the wall also caused our server to forget we were there for most of the meal!

LuluLovesDisney
06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I once *loved* 'Ohana!

I ate there three times with the old menu - wontons, green beans, shrimp, turkey and steak skewers, etc. and once with the one they've had for the past year or so. Although the dessert is delicious, the food is just cheaper quality, the service is rushed and 'Ohana, to us, is a shell of what is used to be. I hope it is restored to its former glory, but for now it is delisted for us, too. :guilty:

kakiegirl
06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Okay, I will give it a great review. We ate at Ohanas on June 11th. It was our first time there and we loved it. We had cousin Chris as our waiter and he was very good. We did not feel rushed at all they spaced out bringing the different skewers which we liked them all but the steak, the Turkey was wonderful and I am not usually a Turkey eater. They were quick to ask for and bring seconds if we wanted them. To me it would be worth going back just for the desert it was fabulous. It will be on our must do next trip. The entertainment was just okay, it was a man but not a young man. He walked around and sang and then did a hula lesson and a couple of games with the kids and you got a lei if you participated. However, I would not go just for the entertainment value.

Liz
06-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Just wondering about the seating and the ability to view Wishes. Are there just a few prime tables where you can see the fireworks well or can you see them from most places in the restaurant?

We have an ADR for dinner in December. We had one for our last visit and ended up cancelling due to reading a lot of bad reviews. This time I'm determined we're going to go and form our own opinion, which will hopefully be a positive one! Thanks!

klarlee
06-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I booked my ADR for the character b'fast @ Ohana's for our Dec. trip yesterday. What I read on the Disboards before today was awesome! Now, I'm not so sure. If the food is "okay" and the service and character interaction is great, then this family will be happy! :cool1: Is that what we can expect? :confused3

TigerKat
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Ohana was a "must do" place for us, but we won't be going back. The last time we were there we were so rushed it made the entire night very unpleasant. The menu change was it for us - we LOVED the shrimp on the skewers! That was probably the best thing they had. The food is mediocre at best.:sad2:

The Sweetness
06-20-2007, 08:28 PM
'Ohana was my 1 TS dissapointment. We were rushed, even though I specifically requested that we be allowed to have a few mins (15) to enjoy each course. The meats were served cold. The sausage was really gross (to me, DH, and my girlfriend, so it wasnt just my pickiness) I told the server, as well as the hostess that it was my girlfriends birthday, and she got no special treatment of any kind (I was just hoping for a lei) And the bread pudding tasted like eggs. I litterally left this place in tears, as this, of all our dinners, was supposed to be special for my DGF:sad1:

disneyforme33
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
We ate at Ohanas on 5/18/07 and it was excellent. This is one of our favorite restaurants and I have eaten there quite a few times. We had a dinner back in 2004 that was just okay at Ohanas every other time it has been excellent. I guess every restaurant occasionally has a bad night, but it would not stop me from trying it again. I'm glad I did.

DLBDS
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Just wanted to say...It's 'Ohana. Not O'hana (or O'hanas/Ohanas). I know, I know....Get a life. Sorry....It's a pet peeve of mine.:headache:

Oh, and for what's it's worth....we didn't like 'Ohana when we went in Nov./Dec. last year.

Snow_White
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
My family has black-listed 'Ohana as well. We just find the food to be very sub-par (especially the meat) and the whole experience to be very odd (rushed when you don't want to be rushed, and painfully slow when you are waiting for a certain meat to make it to your table). Service is iffy in our experience.

ON THE OTHER HAND, we've never ever ever had a bad meal (or bad service) at Kona Cafe. The Beef Teriyaki is to die for, along with all of their desserts! We go to Kona every single time we are at WDW, but won't be going back to 'Ohana any time soon.

SA53
06-20-2007, 10:58 PM
We were there for the 1st time in March and I would say you need to go for yourself to decide. We had the most awesome table for Wishes so the rest of the meal was in a blur of contentment. We said we would wait for a table with a vier but one was ready and we were right by the window right in front of the castle. In any meal I really only remember the really good and the really bad. There wasn't really anything really bad but the potatoes and bread pudding were really good!!!!!! We had the great lady cousin for our games and hula and we all got up there and received our lovely leis. We were not rushed at all and there seemed to be a lot of room not too squished. I did see those table behind the grill and I wouldn't want to be there, just act excited about getting a good table and you should be fine.

It was no Le Cellier for us but we still had a good time and it was fun eating in all the resorts I can't afford...:banana:

K in SA

ptrbryant
06-20-2007, 11:06 PM
We had ADRs for 'Ohana on May 14 and, esp. after hearing Kevin Klose's review of his awful experience there, wanted to cancel. I even called WDW Dining and the CM, hearing that I was going to cancel 'Ohana for Tony's Town Square (I know, I know!), pointed out that you can get Italian food anywhere, but there're very few places you can have the dining experience 'Ohana offers. I had to agree, plus my steak-loving son really wanted to go.

After reading the boards, I was prepared to ask our server not to rush us, etc. We were seated at a quiet window table with a beautiful MK view. Our server, Sumi(?), was so thoughtful and, honestly, perfect with his service that I never got to ask for us not to be rushed. We were able to take our time with everything, yet he checked in occasionally so we never felt forgotten...drinks were refilled with faultless timing. The salad was delicious; the wontons and sauces so-so; the shrimp was moist and fresh; the chicken wings could have been hotter; the steak was incredibly great! Juicy, tender, yet cooked--not "raw" like some have had. The other meats were okay, but we were all so fixated on the steak, we didn't do more than sample them. The dessert was delicious!

It was our first time using the DP and the 3 restaurants we want to return to our 'Ohana, Whispering Canyon Cafe (DS wants this one) and Prime Time Cafe, where the food was surprisingly good.

I don't know what to think...does 'Ohana vary between fabulous and horrific nights for dinner?

Karla B.

ADP
06-21-2007, 01:50 PM
We had ADRs for 'Ohana on May 14 and, esp. after hearing Kevin Klose's review of his awful experience there, wanted to cancel. I even called WDW Dining and the CM, hearing that I was going to cancel 'Ohana for Tony's Town Square (I know, I know!), pointed out that you can get Italian food anywhere, but there're very few places you can have the dining experience 'Ohana offers. I had to agree, plus my steak-loving son really wanted to go.

After reading the boards, I was prepared to ask our server not to rush us, etc. We were seated at a quiet window table with a beautiful MK view. Our server, Sumi(?), was so thoughtful and, honestly, perfect with his service that I never got to ask for us not to be rushed. We were able to take our time with everything, yet he checked in occasionally so we never felt forgotten...drinks were refilled with faultless timing. The salad was delicious; the wontons and sauces so-so; the shrimp was moist and fresh; the chicken wings could have been hotter; the steak was incredibly great! Juicy, tender, yet cooked--not "raw" like some have had. The other meats were okay, but we were all so fixated on the steak, we didn't do more than sample them. The dessert was delicious!

It was our first time using the DP and the 3 restaurants we want to return to our 'Ohana, Whispering Canyon Cafe (DS wants this one) and Prime Time Cafe, where the food was surprisingly good.

I don't know what to think...does 'Ohana vary between fabulous and horrific nights for dinner?

Karla B.

I think it really comes down to this:

As for the food quality it just depends on who is cooking the food that night. You are going to have some cooks that are better than others. It's that way all across WDW restaurants. Some cooks believe in overcooking meat, while others may believe in using a lot of spice (salt & pepper). It's a cook's personal preference; and hopefully it matches your pallette.

Lisacarolr
06-24-2007, 10:07 AM
It is one of our favorite restaurants. We were disappointed with the menu change a couple of years ago, but the potatoes and bread pudding are great. We miss the dumpling appetizer.

I think we were slightly less impressed last time, but definitely not greatly disappointed.

WatchinCaptKangaroo
06-24-2007, 08:17 PM
We ate there for the first time 3 days ago. I posted a brief and light overview of all my dining experiences. Here is my honest review. And I don't care who it upsets.

It is over-rated. The food was ok at best. The steak was so overcooked that we barely touched it. If it was rarer it would have been good. The turkey and pork were ok. The sausage was dry but good. I found the shrimp (sweet n sour, served in a bowl, not on skewers - just an observation, doesn't matter how it was served) was alright. I love shrimp but this is the first place where I have ever experienced peel and eat shrimp that was not deveined. And I found that to be to disgusting to overlook.

Service was great. Got in right at our seating time. Our server was attentive without being overbearing. Drinks were full and drinks from the bar were great. But the person serving our food forgot to come back with the other meats (after the steak) and we had to ask our server. No one asked us if we wanted more of anything (just as well, we were stuffed).

The potatoes and the bread pudding was the best part. Completely amazing.

We're not foodies. We like to eat and we're not picky. Neither of us were impressed and there are too many other places we'd like to try before going back.

50 years Too!
06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
We ate at O'Hana's in March.
We also felt the service was super rushed. I felt I had 10 seconds to decide on a cocktail, so instead of looking over the drinks menu, I just ordered a rum cocktail.The salad, potatoes, and vegetable were very good. The meat was not! It was either overcooked, undercooked, or tough. And I am not a picky eater.The bread pudding was to die for. I wish I could just order it on a to go basis.Sadly, won't sit through another meal, (even if it only lasts 35 minutes from sit down to check:rolleyes1 ), for the pudding, though.

Deb

WDWBetsy
06-24-2007, 08:55 PM
We ate there earlier this year and I wasn't impressed with dinner, except for the salad and potatoes. Didn't eat any dessert - it was our last night there and I was ready to get out of there. Loved the breakfast though and will be returning for that.

We definitely loved Kona Cafe - ate dinner there twice and lunch once. Wonderful food, although a bit noisy.

IWISHFORDISNEY
06-24-2007, 09:47 PM
WOW I found the food here to be great and we are returning this upcoming trip. Our waiter (forgot his name) was great! he even brought out kids food for the little one without us even asking for it. I never felt rushed. We had 3 bowls of shrimp but skipped the sausage. The turkey was really good. I didnt like the potatoes but I am not a potatoe kind of girl. The only minor complaint and I do mean minor was the lady running the games was a little on the loud side. Everyone is different I would give it a try.

Database
06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reviews. We're heading for our anniversary trip in January and I was surfing this board for ideas. Ohana's is off list.

JennyDrake
07-01-2007, 01:57 PM
It is also on our "never again" list. We are NOT picky eaters by any mens. the meat was overcooked and dry. Service was slow and negligent. We had to ask several times, each and every time for more meat or drink refills. Not a great expereince for the price at all.

huntconn
07-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm kind of confused on how anyone could feel extremely rushed while dining here. Mainly because of how the meal is set up. After the initial appetizers come out, servers periodically stop at your table to see if you would like some of whatever meat they have on their skewers. It's a simple matter of saying "nothing right now" if you are not ready for any. I'm sure if they did not come by as frequently as they do, there would be a thread on here about how people "feel ignored" by the servers at 'Ohana. If the check comes before you are ready to depart, simply do not pay it until you are ready to leave. This is an all you can eat meal and you are able to stay as long as want. Now as far as the quality of the food is concerned, I would not argue with someone if they were not happy with it. I've never been unhappy with the food, but taste is a very subjective thing. What's "undercooked" to one person is "perfect" to the next. I've never found the meat to be dry or tasteless. However, I do not care for the new pork offering at all (can't remember which of the 2 new pork items it is). If you are planning to dine there for the first time, my advice would be to give it a try. I can't gaurantee you'll like it but I've never been dissapointed and our family eats there every year.:) :)

JustforDisney
07-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I am a long time lurker - very long. I came out of the woodworks just for this post.This is sort of off topic and (personally) annoying. I just have a quick question. How long are people going to keep talking about /'after/before the menu change...." Wasn't that like 2 years ago??

Like I said it's petty and just a personal gripe but goodness. ;)

Ok - carry on :)

starbox
07-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm kind of confused on how anyone could feel extremely rushed while dining here. Mainly because of how the meal is set up. After the initial appetizers come out, servers periodically stop at your table to see if you would like some of whatever meat they have on their skewers. It's a simple matter of saying "nothing right now" if you are not ready for any.

As a former waitress, there are some things that are done to give guests the "hint" that you would like them to leave so that you can get another table. You bring the check, you take the check back up, you clear the table of all dishes, you stop coming back and offering drink refills.

Now, I have eaten at Ohana and gotten my appetizers and food as soon as I sat down, and I did not feel rushed. We simply did as you suggest and asked for seconds/refills until we were going at a pace we were happy with. We also had CM's waiting on us that were friendly and chatted periodically between courses.

On our last trip, we had a CM take our drink orders. A different "cousin" immediately brought out the salad, wontons. A minute later, another "cousin" arrived with the side dishes and we started getting meat. The steak was almost raw - which gave me the impression that they were "rushing" on the cooking in order to herd people in and out. We were asked if we wanted more about 5 minutes later. When we said no, they tried to clear our plates, and we politely explained that we were still eating. Then, the initial waitress CM came and asked for our payment for the meal and had us sign for a tip. She took the check and left. Another cousin came and sat the dessert on the table without saying a word. Nobody came by to talk with us again.

We felt rushed and it was definately a bad night for Ohana. Hopefully, it was just an off night.

The Sweetness
07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm kind of confused on how anyone could feel extremely rushed while dining here. Mainly because of how the meal is set up.

After we were served salad and chips w/ dipping sauces, it was less than 5 mins before hot dishes were put on the table (side dishes) This was after I specifically requested that we have 15 mins (at least) to enjoy each course. I guess I was asking too much:confused3

Katiebell
07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
After we were served salad and chips w/ dipping sauces, it was less than 5 mins before hot dishes were put on the table (side dishes) This was after I specifically requested that we have 15 mins (at least) to enjoy each course. I guess I was asking too much:confused3

It may just be the style of service at this particular type of restaurant. Since you aren't each ordering separate courses individually, everyone in the entire restaurant is eating the same thing. And it sounds like it's not always the same server who takes care of you for the whole meal -- they have runners ("other cousins") who bring out certain courses. Those runners probably don't know which individual tables have requested slower service, or want to linger over their meals -- they are given whatever course (appetizers, meats, salad) and instructed to go serve everyone sitting in a certain area and come back for more. Some nights the runners may be faster than usual, or the kitchen may be cranking out food faster than other nights if it's busy and they have/are expecting a full house. Which sounds like all the time, now. :laughing:

MeLaNie9
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
We didn't find Ohana to be anything special.
We didn't even know that the shrimp was supposed to be sweet-n-sour. It seemed just like normal peel-n-eat shrimp to us - except for the non deveined part which I agree is gross! I will say that we greatly enjoyed the fried wontons and dipping sauces and the chicken wings (and I usually don't eat wings). However, the other food wasn't good - the vegetables were awful, and the meats were generally overcooked. We had to wait forever for all of the meats to be served to us. The steak came out to us significantly later than the other meats and while it was the best of the meats that night, we were full from trying everything else by that time. We really didn't care for the bread pudding. We did get to see Wishes from our table, but we were also seated right by the walkway where the kids games took place - our kids were too young at the time to partake and it was just chaos in that area when the games were going on.:sad2:
We have also eaten at Kona Cafe and loved it :love: - for our upcoming trip, we will repeat at Kona but not Ohana!

Alltiggeredout
07-03-2007, 06:02 AM
We have an adr for Ohana (Jan 1st) and i may cancel now.DW doesn't like being rushed when she eats so maybe this isn't the place for us.:confused3

kleldridge
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
We had dinner at O'Hana last week and were pleased with it. We also noticed the menu change...I guess most of us don't eat there every year so a menu change takes awhile to effect everyone.

We are midwesterners, so the shrimp never appeals to us unless it's fried. We enjoyed the sausage and other meats. Of course the potatoes were a hit with everyone and I loved the dessert! We also had drinks from the bar. The big one in the whole pineapple for a glass is the best!

We were not rushed at all!! In fact, our waiter kept reminding us that if we stayed longer, we could view the MK fireworks from our table. We were one of the last seatings of the night and you would think they would just want to leave.

It's definitely on the return list but probably not for next year. There are so many places to try!

coconutsunshine
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
DH and I went to O'hana's early June. This was a ressie I was really looking forward to and although it was good it wasn't great. The server was fantastic and so were the potatoes, salad, and the bread pudding, but I found the meats so so (the steak was pratically raw) and all the food came at once. Well ,actually, everything but the meat came at once; so, by the time we actually got around to eating the potatoes and veggies with the meat they were freezing cold. I like my food hot hot hot, Dh doesn't really care, so I thought this took a bit away from the taste and enjoyment. It was fun, we were on our 1st anniversary trip so we got to dance, but after eating at KONA a couple of days prior and having an AMAZING!!!!! meal, O'hana's just didn't compare. Worth going to, especially if you have kids--they had some cute activities for them, but if it was between Kona and O'hana's, Kona would win hands down!!

Have a great trip!!:cool1: :banana:

Eoywin
07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
We have an ADR at O'hana for our first full day of our honeymoon... which I won't change, since the reviews are seemingly mixed.

I was wondering about watching Wishes - our TA made our ADR late enough that we could watch Wishes, but I was curious if we'd have to ask for a table from where we could see Wishes from.

Alltiggeredout
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=coconutsunshine;19542267] Well ,actually, everything but the meat came at once; so, by the time we actually got around to eating the potatoes and veggies with the meat they were freezing cold. I like my food hot hot hot,

QUOTE]

DW is the same so thats another reason that i will be cancelling our adr.Shame, i was looking forward to it.

samefay
07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Our family has been there on every trip and we plan on going back on our next trip. We've seen the menu change and while we miss so many things on the old menu we also like the new one. (We miss the shrimp dumplings among other things!)
We've never had a bad experience here. We've been when there was just the two of us and when there has been 15 of us. Give it a chance. You may be pleasantly surprised. (At least I hope so!)

:thumbsup2

TINKSFRIEND2
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
HAD DINNER THERE JUNE 15 IT WAS VERY RUSHED. MEAT WAS TOUGH TURKEY WAS GOOD, BUT WE WILL NOT GO AGAIN.:sad2:

Big J
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
IMO, readers should always take reviews of individual restaurant visits with a grain of salt. This is especially true for such high volume restaurants as those at WDW.

We just returned from our 12th WDW trip over the past 10 years. O’hana is one of my favorite restaurants. As a matter of fact, my DW ( then D fiancÚ ) took me to O’hana on our first trip in 1997. We were in college at the time, and O’hana, along with a great stay at Port Orleans and some other things, convinced me that WDW wasn’t as “lame” as I had thought. As I said, we just returned from our 12th trip.
Anyway, we try to hit O’hana each trip if possible. On June 27th we made probably our 9th visit. This was the best food that we had ever had there. I enjoyed all of the appetizers and the newer dessert is great, but the best part was that all four of the meats that were served were fantastic. It usually seems that at least one of the four choices is not up to par, and I have adjusted my expectations to account for this. However, this trip they were all perfectly prepared in my opinion. The only down side of our most recent visit was that I found the food so good, I ate way too much and did not feel great for the rest of the evening.

Again, I have had visits that were not always the greatest, but always very good. The food, along with the atmosphere and fun for the kids, usually makes for a good time.

S.Poppins
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
In January we ate at both Ohana and Kona. We all liked Kona better. But I would eat at Ohana again just for the incredible dessert! The meal at Ohana did feel rushed, but we took our time anyway. The shrimp was good too. Didn't care for the smoked meats. Kona had really good steaks. I have pics of both in my dining report below.

Crazy Kanga
07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I agree that you should try each place for yourself, because we had a GREAT meal there a few weeks ago. It was our favorite of the trip!!!! So please give it a try before taking it off your list if you have never been. I have heard rave reviews about places I have hated and vice versa. So it is always best to try something for yourself. We all don't like the same things, so we will all have differing opinions and any place can have an off night.

wideeyes
07-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I am going to ohana in september and I am really looking forward to it, I have read that the meal is rushed however I still want to try it as I have also read lots of great reviews too. I guess I will see for myself. we are also eating at Kona as I like the look of the menu.

lordhavemercy
07-14-2007, 03:38 PM
....we ate @ Ohana in Feb. last year and were a bit disappointed with the food...all seemed a bit "over-done"...and the service was a bit "under-done". But, we have ressies again, this sept. and will give them another try. I like to give everything another try...;) everybody/thing can have a bad-day-week....:scared1:
pixiedust: ...last time, we sat about 4 tables away from the windows, on the back-side of the open fires... during Wishes...and we were able to see the fireworks just fine....(somebody enquired in a post earlier)....they lower the lights and pipe in the Wishes music...!!!:cloud9: **sniff::sniff**;)
....so anyway....we'll be giving Ohana another try....:woohoo:

yankeepenny
07-14-2007, 05:11 PM
-FLAME SUIT ON-
okay here is my penny's wortH. I have mentioned this before.
I will not go back there, way too rushed, and a chaotic atmosphere.
It is fine for some- just not for me - JMHO.
i CANNOT HAVE ALL MY FOOD LITERALLY SWAMPING THE TABLE AND KIDS GOING BY PARTICIPATING AND THE WHOLE PLACE JUST ONE BIG UPROAR.

if any of you are slow, relaxing eaters, like a nice quiet meal and any kind of conversation it will not happen there.
The good part was that it was on the ddp and .....well, calming down now....it still has me rattled.

-flame suit on still-
we saw a show on tv with the WCC and i hauled up off the couch and cancelled that ressie within 5 minutes.

for those of you who enjoy that atmosphere, i am glad for you- any one like me, run like hell the other way!

again, JMO

postmanrings
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
My family of 4 adults ate here July 14th for the 3rd year in a row. We save it for the final day as we feel it is special. But this year was our first on the DDP and after a week of eating (and sweating) like a pig I think it that may have affected this experience. Our server was great and after reading here on the boards about possibly rushing the food, I told her to hold the meat shortly after receiving the appetizers. It was no problem and she brought it back when I asked. Our steak was sort of tough and tastless,but liked the pork and turkey. The wings were sort of on the cold side and maybe undercooked for my taste as I like wings crispy. The banana foster seemed to have changed from last year as we tasted coconut and pineapple in it. None of us remembered it that way last year. But we ordered two of them even if they were not quite as good!
Bottom line is it was still good but not quite as we remember it. Maybe it all the gorging in the week or maybe it has just lost it's magic with us.

DarthKTrava
07-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I went there last Sept. for breakfast. Service was good, food was good although the eggs were a bit on the cool side. Loved the waffles! It wasn't crowded at all. Character interaction was great. The CM who was Stitch was funny. He went "PBBBTTHH" when my friend made a comment about "you don't want to pose with him. :lmao:

Would like to go back for dinner if I have the time.

momshark
07-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I agree w/ the OP. We had the same experiences at Ohana's, plus it was DIRTY!! YUCK! We mentioned the problems to the hostess and got no response. Will never go there again.

Now, Kona's, for some strange reason, is SO MUCH BETTER!!!! We go there every time we get to WDW. Love it!!

All in all the Poly is beautiful and fabulous and we would stay there again in a second, if we could ever afford it again! LOL!

dseth
07-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Does anyone have a BETTER review of a recent dining experience at Ohana?? We have ADRS for July 3rd and I am wondering if we should keep them?? Thanks, Joan
We've been really happy in the past at O'Hana. We are going back for breakfast and dinner this September.

Tam1067
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
We ate at 'Ohana last week, and it was every bit as good as when we ate there last July. The service was excellent, the food was very good, and we got seconds of whatever we wanted. This is one of our favorite restaurants, and we'll return there on our next trip.

KingdomHeartsFan
07-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I continue to be torn about 'Ohana... it is the home of one of the best meals I ever had at Disney and also the worst meal I've ever had at Disney...

In Dec. 2005 we had dinner there and it was wonderful. Great service, fantastic food, and great entertainment.... but in Sept. 2006 we ate here and had the worst service I have ever had in a restaurant... no drink refills for the entire meal and when we tried to ask for refills our server seemed to speak not a word of English... and after a whole day at Animal Kingdom you know how thristy you can be... the food was ok and of course Lipoa was great as always but the service (or lack thereof) totally ruined the evening!

Of course I still plan to dine here again someday in hopes of better service next time.

LauraAnn630
07-21-2007, 02:09 AM
We love it! We cant wait till we go September 1, 2007!

inkkognito
07-22-2007, 02:43 PM
We are locals who eat at Ohana frequently, although it's becoming a real pain to get ADRs there. After all of our wonderful experiences there, I am firmly convinced that much of this thread is a "plant" by other locals to get y'all to cancel your ADRs so we can all finally get some again.