PDA

View Full Version : 16 months in the planning, reviews 5/25-6/2, pics, Day 4 added!

bigbabyblues
06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
This was our third family trip to WDW, and I always spend so much time researching and choosing our ADRs. We had a couple new places this time, some favorites, and some surprises.

Cast of characters:

Me--the planner, not terribly picky
DH--helps with the planning, likes most anything
DS6--kindergarten graduate, will try most anything, not picky
DS4--just turning 4 on the trip, also not picky

May 25

Tusker House

As soon as we checked in to Pop, we headed to AK. After 14+ hours on the road, we were HUNGRY! We went to Tusker House for one final lunch before the change it to a buffet.

The boys and I went to find a table, while DH got our food. There was nothing available inside, so we headed out the side door. Walked all the way around until we found two small tables for two that were next to each other. Not ideal, but they were clean and it would have to do. While we were waiting for DH, a family of 4 left a bigger table nearby, so I told the boys to grab it. It was even covered and a little shady!

DH arrived right after that, with 2 Rotissere Chicken meals for us to split. It was the chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans with a couple carrots. He also had one piece of cake and a piece of carrot cake for dessert. All of the food was hot and really good. The green beans were crispy, but too crispy. The chicken was juicy, but not too juicy, and plenty to share. I shared with DS6, DH shared with DS4, and we had plenty of food for all of us. The chocolate cake was really good too. What else can I say? it was an excellent counter service meal.

BOMA, ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE

We made our way out of the park to the bus for AKL and our dinner at Boma. Our ADR was for 6:00, but we checked in at 5:05 and were seated within 10 minutes! Our server was Jeff, the same person we had in February. We were glad for that, he is from a town not far from ours, and itís rare that we meet people away from home that even know where our area is! The food was great, of course. I got to try the Butternut Squash soup, and I loved it! I also had salmon, potatoes with Afritude, some veggies, Fufu, fruit and our course, the zebra domes, I love those! My second plate was pretty much more of the same. The boys both tried several things as well, DS6 had almost the same plate that I did, only he also had the couscous with his. The only thing they got from the kidsí buffet was a scoop of macaroni and cheese, and they both cleaned their plates twice. They mostly had fruit for dessert, which is what they like. DH had one of the specialty beers, I don't remember which one, but he liked it. I tried it, and didn't like it at all, but I don't like beer.

Next up, 'Ohana breakfast and El Pirata counter service

Maggi May
06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Great reviews so far, can't wait to read the rest.

John's Mom
06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your reviews--two of my favorites. I'm really disappointed that Tusker House is changing to a buffet.

TigerKat
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the reviews - can't wait for more!!

suzimar57
06-16-2007, 04:01 PM
thanks for the reviews - looking forward to the rest!

marcyinPA
06-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Great job on the reviews, Steph! We love Tusker House too...I am so sad that they are going TS on us!!:sad2:

Can't wait to read more!popcorn::

Schucraig
06-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Can't wait for more!popcorn::

wilma-bride
06-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Great start to your reviews. I am so disappointed that we won't get to try Tusker House as a CS :sad2:

Minniespal
06-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Excellent reviews ~ Tusker House is one of our fav CS restaurants.

bigbabyblues
06-17-2007, 04:45 PM
May 26, 2007

'OHANA BREAKFAST WITH LILO AND STITCH

Good morning, it’s a wonderful day for the Magic Kingdom! Well, ok. It’s really early, we’re still a little tired, and it looks like it’s going to rain. None the less, we were at the MK bus stop at 7:00 a.m. on the nose. We had to wait a little while for the bus, but the driver stopped at the Contemporary for people going to Chef Mickey’s, the MK, and then took us right to the Poly for our breakfast. Very nice! DH went to check us in, and he was at the counter for quite a while. Uh-oh! He finally came back and said they were not able to find our ADR but they were going to seat us anyway. What? We had checked and double-checked those ADRs over the phone, and I had all the numbers. Of course, my list was in the backpack, and it was in the room. We were seated within 5 minutes anyway, and we had a great meal!

We had sausage, bacon (nice and crispy, just the way I like it!), potatoes that were really good, scrambled eggs, biscuits, a platter of fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and grapes), pineapple bread (awesome) and cinnamon bread, and Mickey waffles. I loved the juice, I think they said it was Mango and passion fruit? The eggs were fluffy and not runny, I didn't try the sausage, and everyone except me loved the waffles and had seconds. DS6 saw DH put jelly on a biscuit, and thought it was a waffle. He asked me to put jelly on his waffle, and I was confused but I did it, and he said it was really, really good. OK?? Whatever!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_4983.jpg

We saw Stitch first, then Lilo (DS4 called her Leo, couldn’t get him to say it right!). Right after Lilo, they had the parade around the restaurant. The boys went, and they loved it. I'm not sure the little one understood, but he danced and had a ball. Mickey was at our table soon after that, and it was getting close to park opening time, so we didn’t wait for Pluto. We walked out the door and right on to the waiting monorail, couldn’t have asked for more!

DH went to the concierge desk in the lobby of the Poly while the boys and I were finishing up, and asked if they could get a list of our ADRs, even though we weren't staying there. He said the CM was very nice and didn't seem to mind at all. When he gave me the list, the 7:50 ADR was there, but it was down for 7:50 p.m. Not sure how that happened :confused3 , but I'm glad we got seated anyway!

EL PIRATA Y EL PERICO

It was a little past our lunchtime, and we were hungry. We walked in to El Pirata, which was open, to my amazement; it has never been open on any of our WDW trips. They boys and I went to get a table, while DH got our food. There were plenty of tables to pick from, even though it was about 12:15. I had a taco salad, which was really, really good!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5042.jpg

The boys had quesadillas and enjoyed those, and DH had tacos. DS4 kept asking for quesadillas the rest of the trip, he enjoyed it so much! The boys got grapes and applesauce for their sides, and a chocolate chip cookie that I assume was their dessert. We didn’t get our adult desserts, and when DH went up and showed the receipt, they gave him 4 ice cream bars. He said he told them it was only for 2 adults, but they said there were four meals on the receipt, so we got four desserts.

Dinner, Pop Century Food Court

We had a quick dinner in the Pop food court before heading out for our Illuminations Cruise. DH and I split the Ham and Havarti Flatbread, and the boys split a kids' pizza. The flatbread was really good, but I didn't care for the green slimy whatever that was on top of it, so I picked it off. I don't know if it was spinach leaves or what, but the pieces were plenty big enough for me to take off. DH ate them and he said it was fine. The boys loved their pizza and asked for it again later on.

emh1129
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Great reviews, thanks! :)

blerner1
06-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Wow that breakfast looks good!

wilma-bride
06-18-2007, 01:21 AM
'Ohana breakfast looks really good - thanks :thumbsup2

natalielongstaff
06-18-2007, 01:58 PM
your photos of Ohana's have got me really looking forward to our visit :)

did you enjoy your illuminations cruise ?

Busymom85
06-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Great reviews. Look forward to more.

bigbabyblues
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
your photos of Ohana's have got me really looking forward to our visit :)

did you enjoy your illuminations cruise ?

It was awesome! It was the second time we've done one, and I just love it! Not to mention, it was Memorial Day weekend, so we didn't have to wait with the masses!

DisneyJo
06-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Thank goodness they let you dine at O'Hana's and great about the 4 ice creams :thumbsup2

kdkbrebel
06-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Subscribing, we are staying at pop in July only 30 more days:thumbsup2

bigbabyblues
06-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Next up will be Donald's Breakfastsaurus and Whispering Canyon....I'll try to get them up tomorrow!

bigbabyblues
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Donald's Breakfast

Today we had an 8:20 ADR for Donaldís Breakfastsaurus. We got there a little early and were seated within 5 minutes. The food was really good, hot and fresh, as it has been on all 3 of our meals here. It was your typical breakfast food, plus Krispy Kreme donuts. The ones with chocolate icing and sprinkles are REALLY good ;-) I don't remember what all we had, the bacon was nice and crispy, just the way I like it. The boys liked the breakfast pizza, and the potatoes were great! We saw Donald, Mickey, Goofy and Pluto, and were finished before the park opened. This is our third trip here, and we've always enjoyed it. Granted, the characters all came within a few minutes and then they were gone, but we got pictures and autographs from each, and we had plenty of time to enjoy our breakfast.

WHISPERING CANYON

It was a quick ride over to the WL, and we checked in for dinner a few minutes early. The boys played at the Lincoln Log table while we waited, but I guess the mother of the two girls didnít like that, as soon as the boys walked over, she grabbed her kids and took them to sit down because theyíd have to SHARE the toys with other kids.. Whatever?

What can I say about our dinner at Whispering Canyon? It was our favorite meal of the trip! We were seated just off the main dining room, which was ok. I forgot to ask for the main room, but we could see and hear everything anyway. Our server was Heada Lettuce, and she was a great server! Into her role, but not over the top I guess. DH and DS6 got the skillet, so DH appetizer was a salad and DS6 had fruit for his; I had the nachos (AWESOME!!!), and DS4 had fruit too. The nachos were soooo good, but they were huge. DH shared some of them, he didnít care for his salad for some reason; I think he was jealous!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5096.jpg

Heada Lettuce told the boys that if they wanted to eat here, they had to help out by wiping off the next table; she was laughing, but they believed her. They both grabbed a rag and went to town! It was funny! They sat back down, and started to color. DS4 asked for a red crayon, and HoL yelled out that there was a little boy who didnít have a red crayon, and could anyone help him out? He got four, and he thanked each kid; he thought it was hilarious! He said, ďIt was nice of those kids to share with me!Ē. Our food came at a good time; not too soon after the appetizers, but not an eternity between courses either; just right! I had the chicken pasta, and Isaac had a cheeseburger. The portions were huge, too big for us!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5106.jpg

The food was really good though. DH and DS6 didnít make a dent in the skillet, but thatís what he gets for eating my nachos!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5100.jpg

DS4 asked for ketchup for his cheeseburger; she asked him to repeat that, and then she asked if he was sure? I was laughing already, and she told him he had to help her get it, and grabbed DS6 and a couple of kids from the next table; they went out to the main dining room and she hollered for ketchup. It was so funny, poor DS didnít know what to think, especially when the ketchup started coming! We ended up with about 20 bottles of it, hardly any room for our food!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5102.jpg

We settled in and started eating, and they announced the pony races would be starting in a few minutes. The boys went to do that, they thought it was fun. They had no more sat down, then someone else yelled for ketchup. We all grabbed a few bottles and took it over, and other kids helped us. I donít think the family that was on the receiving end knew what was coming; the manís face turned bright red, but he was laughing. We ordered our dessert, and ate more food. We did have plenty of time to eat with all this going on, believe it or not! A little girl came in with a server to look for a hidden Mickey on the fireplace, and both DS' got down to help her; I think it was her foil Mickey ears, but I canít swear to it. DH had ordered the bottomless milkshake, and he enjoyed that, but he was getting thirsty for a drink, so he helped himself to my coke. HoL saw him and made a big speech about him getting ďBOY germsĒ in my drink, so she brought me a new one and gave him the one Iíd had; it was so funny! On to dessert. I had the chocolate mousse cake, and it hit the spot! I love chocolate so much, it was just right, but I was getting on the full side. I donít remember what DH had, he may not have had anything. The boys both got the Worms in the Dirt; DS6 ate all of the worms from both bowls, DS4 ate one bite of his and asked for fruit; DS6 heard that and asked if he could have more fruit. Whose kids are they? They CANíT be mine, taking fruit over chocolate????? Ah well, we gave them the fruit, and we finally rolled ourselves out to wait for a bus.

We loved this meal, and we will be back!!!

undertheseas
06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow you had a great experience at WCC, I love the atmosphere there! Thanks for the great reviews!

budbeerlady
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Great reviews, Thanks!

scanne
06-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Love the ketchup picture! OMG - too cute!

Thanks for taking the time to post reviews.

Bev1016
06-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Great reviews and fabulous pics!
We're breakfasting at Ohana in September, so I appreciate the review.
I'm also wishing I would have reserved for Whispering Canyon--looks like lots of fun, and the nachos look great!

Tink3Belle
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Was this a lunch or dinner reservation. I have one for lunch but am afraid they will not do as much of the fun stuff.:confused3

wilma-bride
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow, great experience at WCC - and the food looks good too :thumbsup2

bigbabyblues
06-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Was this a lunch or dinner reservation. I have one for lunch but am afraid they will not do as much of the fun stuff.:confused3

It was dinner, I think our ADR time was right around 5. I would think they would still have all the fun, but that's just a guess.

DisneyJo
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds great fun :rotfl2:

duncanssweetie
06-30-2007, 08:20 PM
loving the reviews and looking forward to more :thumbsup2

Busymom85
07-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Glad you liked Whispering Canyon. We are going the first time in Dec. and can't wait.

bigbabyblues
07-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Monday, May 28, Memorial Day

We started our day with breakfast in the food court at Pop today. I'm pretty sure the boys and I shared an adult breakfast platter, and Iím KNOW DH had waffles I can't remember this meal in detail, but all of the breakfasts we had in the food court we really good. Not a bad breakfast to be had! The breakfast platter is plenty to share, it was bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and a biscuit. I'm thinking we got two drinks as well, but I can't say for sure because DH took care of getting the food while the boys and I found a table.

LeCellier

We had the ever-hard-to-get ADR for LeCellier today for lunch. Our ADR was 11:30 (when they opened). We checked in then went back outside to wait. We took some pictures with the flowers and the boys watched the fountain. We went back in at 11:30 and were one of the first ones seated. They had a little opening "ceremony" where all the CMs sang O'Canada, and we were invited to sing along if we wanted to. I had so been looking forward to this meal, we had canceled our ADR in 2005, and I was hungry! I had been planning for so long; I knew exactly what I wantedócheese soup, the petit filet with mashed potatoes, and the chocolate mousse. DH had the tomato stack (it was good, I tried it!), the filet and the whiskey cake. DS4 had the cheese soup, pasta with sauce, and a fruit cup; DS6 had carrot and celery for his appetizer, a hot dog (I think), and fruit. The cheese soup was really, really good, and I got the recipe. DS4 liked it as well. I ordered my steak well done; I don't like any pink at all, and it came out perfect for me! It wasn't charred either, just right. DH had his medium-well, and he was pleased with his also.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5157.jpg

I had the Chocolate Moose for dessert, it was cute and really good!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5158.jpg

I was planning to order one for the boys and pay oop for it, but they only wanted fruit. Weird kids, I tell you! DH had the whiskey cake:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/mommytotrev/100_5160.jpg

We enjoyed our meal. The service was really good, our waitress explained what was available to us on the dining plan; any of the non-alcoholic specialty drinks were allowed, but we didn't have any. The restaurant was only about half full when we left, I was a little surprised at that.

We'll probably be back, but it's not going to be a "can't miss" meal for us. It was good, but I really don't see what all the hype is about.

DisneyJo
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Glad you enjoyed LeCellier the steak looks lovely and OMG kids wanting fruit over chocolate :rotfl2:

PrincessTiff
07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Great reviews, I especially loved the WCC review. ;)

wilma-bride
07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Glad you had a good meal at Le Cellier - my DS would have been the same, choosing fruit over chocolate - I thought I'd brought him up right too :rolleyes:

Looking forward to more.

devinfl
07-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Thank you for posting your reviews! Definetly helped me feel more confident about my choices and I added a few more wants ;)

Booknut
07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Lovely photos and review! That whole ketchup thing at WCC cracks me up :lmao:

Glad you got to go to Tusker House before they change it all around. It's a shame too because it was a really great CS meal to get! Oh well, maybe the buffet will be good too :thumbsup2