PDA

View Full Version : No Castaway Cay

amystevekai&bump
06-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I was just reading a trip report which said they were unable to dock at CC !!!!
Does this happen very often?? As I would be gutted to miss it!!!!

MSWint
06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Pretty rare to miss CC ... but it does happen from time to time based on the current weather.

Capt_BJ
06-06-2007, 08:41 AM
The dock at CC is a pretty confined area. If the winds are blowing crosswise it can be that the ship can't safely get in.

As has been discussed, this is why the ship will usually back in. Backing in is harder as the ship is less maneuverable. However, if they CAN back in, it is very unlikely that they can't pull out.... In the reverse, if they pulled in straight and they wx got iffy, they could be forced to leave early (what a mess THAT would be) or they could get stuck there .... which may sound good now, but....

We missed CC once, but it was on a 4 day and they ended up swapping the @sea day and we got it back anyway.... Master tried to get into CC for nearly 3 hours, but finally had to conceed to mom-nature....

I'd note, that if the wind is SO BAD that the ship can't dock .... it is not going to be a very nice day on the beach either......

NHdisneylover
06-06-2007, 08:47 AM
ON 5 cruises we have missed CC twice. once in October (steering aorund a hurricane) and again in late December (high seas and couldn't dock). It is really dissapointing. But even DCL without CC is better than just about any other vacation.

love2cruisedisney
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I think my trip report is the one that just posted about not getting to dock at CC. (May 31st - June 3) My heart was broken. :sad1: After 4 cruises with Disney, this was the only time I have never gotten to go to CC. I was upset because 7 of my family members were on this cruise and it was thier first cruise. I guess to make it worse, our day in Nassau was bad because of the weather and also all the shops were closed due to it being a holiday in
Nassau. Oh well, it was a blast being on the ship though :thumbsup2 Now I guess it is time to plan the next cruise:surfweb:

WDWLVR
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
As others have said it is rare but does happen. We missed CC on our very first DCL cruise in '99 due to a hurricane. We actually went near the island to drop off supplies but the island was in bad shape. They opened it back up a week or two later. On our other 8 cruises we've been able to dock every time and since we've done a number of double dips we've been there about 11 times now.

inkkognito
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
The odds seem worse around Jan. and Feb. (i.e. when the cold snaps can whip up the winds), but the odds are with you. We have sailed almost 60 times on DCL and have only missed CC twice (and most of our sailings are in hurricane season or the winter).

Mean Queen
06-06-2007, 03:40 PM
It happened to us on our first cruise that's why we did a 4 night the next time, so if we missed it we had the day at sea to try again. Now that I've been, I don't want to miss it again.

zerog
06-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Check out Edan's review on Cruise Critic:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=566666

She has a lot to say about the weather last week (namely, Trop. Storm Berry).

Ilovestitch
06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I've been on 4 disney cruises and never missed cc.

Kurby
06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
does that mean on a 4 night cruise they will try again the next day?

what happens the day you miss it on a 4 night? does the ship just cruise around the ocean for 24 hours?

do you arrive back at Port C. a day early if you are miss it?

Mean Queen
06-07-2007, 09:15 AM
does that mean on a 4 night cruise they will try again the next day?

what happens the day you miss it on a 4 night? does the ship just cruise around the ocean for 24 hours?

do you arrive back at Port C. a day early if you are miss it?

From what I understand, if they can't make CC on that day they switch it with the day at sea, including all activities and reservations (Palo's, spa, etc..) Then on your scheduled day at sea, they'd try CC again (with all your excursions moved to that day.) If that didn't work, you'd get another day at sea with no plans set. On the 3 day, we weren't supposed to have a day at sea but got one when we couldn't dock at CC. They do not go back to port early unless there is a safety reason. I'm sure if I have this wrong, there will be someone here who can correct any wrong info.

IrishCowboy
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
We've been on 10 cruises and only missed CC one time.