PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood and Vine-------YUK!

BCVBRUCE
06-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I tried writing and thorough review of my May 30th visit, but why bother. The waiter was great. The food was horrible. In fact, of all the meals that I have eaten at WDW since my first visit in 1977, I would firmly place Hollywood and Vine dead last.

Very limited selection. The prme rib must have been prison surplus meat.

sandybobandy
06-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience there.

It's really amazing to me how varying the reviews for H&V are. My husband and I just adore this restaurant and visit every year.

Again, sorry you didn't have a good meal!

aubriee
06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Another one here who doesn't like Hollywood & Vine. We ate there Jan '05 and wasn't impressed (poor service and bad food). We tried it again Sept '05 and again received bad service and bad food. May '06 my mom and I planned a last minute trip and couldn't get into Mama Melrose or the Brown Derby for the FDP, so decided to give Hollywood & Vine one more try. Again YUCK, bad service and bad food. Three strikes, you're out. We won't be returning.

candykisses
06-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

H & V is always a must do on my boy's list. We've had good meals there, but service and quality can change from meal to meal.

That's what is great about Disney, there are so many choices.

pumba
06-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I too am sorry that you didnt enjoy your H & V visit......we usually go each year and just returned the end of April and had a good experience there....our waiter was MIKE and he was very good....made sure our cups were filled...and then brought a birthday cupcake to my SIL....the food was good.....and it was always hot that was supposed to be hot and chilled for those that had to be chilled.....again I am sorry that you had a rotten visit...

tinkercat
06-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there!

We went to the Play and Dine at Hollywood and Vine lunch buffet on 5/19 and we liked it. We thought it was a decent variety and the food was ok. We really only went there because the kids wanted to see the PlayHouse Disney characters, but the meal wasn't bad by any means. I definitely prefer 50's Prime Time at MGM, but we'd probably go back to H&V.

seetheworld
06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I couldn't agree with you more!!!!! We were just there in May and it was so bad that my DH and my mom wouldn't eat the food. The food is in our opinion the worst at WDW! The character interaction is the best though and having 4 kids makes it a must for us. We go strictly for the character interaction. I am so glad you posted this because I generally read really good things about it and thought we were the only ones who felt this way.

bobbiwoz
06-02-2007, 05:24 PM
2 things that I especially love about H&V are the mussels and the berry cobbler. H&V is a once a year MUST eat at for us.

I'm sorry that you didn't like your meal there!

Bobbi

tohono2000
06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Really nothing special and only 4 Characters to see...and that is accomplished in 15 minutes. No food for low fat diets either. Our waiter was good, but you can do much better at Crystal Palace or 1900 Park Fare.

MickeyNicki
06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Have to agree with you, one of the worst places in WDW

Treacle44
06-02-2007, 06:04 PM
We've done the Fantasmic package there twice and both times were somewhat disappointed. Poor buffet choice compared to the other WDW restaurants, very noisy and we felt very rushed.

Won't be eating there this trip that's for sure!

dzneelvr
06-02-2007, 07:07 PM
H & V didn't make our "repeat" list any year either. Nothing as drastic as "prison meat" but we found the buffet food to be so/so and the tables were so packed together that we felt the family next to us could literally eat off our plates:confused3 I don't really get the "theme" of the place either--you'd think they could come up with something more creative or glamorous for that prime a spot. Oh well, we can't all eat at the same place anyway;)

ursula28
06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
We do H&V every trip, always get an early seating around 4:00pm. Everything seems fresher at the beginning of the night. We love it here.

kritter
06-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh no sorry to hear this we have ressies there to go next week for our first time for dinner. Should we cancel.. There are no characters there correct for dinner????

Disney Ella
06-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I have been there twice with the Fantasmic Dinner Package. I liked the food fine, but each time something there bothered my stomach. No one else I was with was bothered, but I don't want to risk going to H&V again. It was no fun walking around MGM with my stomach giving me trouble.

lovehoney
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
We ate there on 5/31 with a group of 13. It was great. Everyone was able to find something they liked. We did have to eat at 3:30 for our Fantasmic Package. But with 13 people it is easier if you eat when they are less crowded.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Except for the desserts, I thought it was on par with Chef Mickey's.

dfarster
06-04-2007, 03:11 PM
We had rescheduled our dinner package for Fantasmic and could only get H&V, so we gave it a try. Of all the places we tried this is one that my husband refused to try ever again. Lousy service, our server actually gave us dirty napkins when we asked for paper napkins for the kids. The food was only so-so. The only thing my DS and DD ate was the peel and eat shrimp and they ate a ton at CP and CM. I tried the blackberry chicken and it actually tasted sour! Desserts were good, but didn't care for most of the main meal. They meat was really fatty.

clownfish1452
06-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the review. I cancelled my ressies and changed them to the Fantasmic Dinner at the Brown Derby.

Thank you agian
Sarah

sandybobandy
06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Awww Sarah, that's too bad. :( Again, we love H&V.

What one person hates, another person loves. So-while I'm sorry you'll be missing one of *my* favorite restaurants because of other's reviews, I hope you guys have an AWESOME trip.

Erin1700
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM
How is breakfast? We are taking the kids there in early december.

lordhavemercy
06-05-2007, 07:45 PM
....DD and I have the Fantasmic package @ the HV...and we're looking forward to it..:goodvibes ..there's only been one restaurant @ Disney that I didn't care for...and it was because of my personal taste...and that was the restaurant @ Marrakesh...just don't care for cousous....lol. I will have a wonderful time no matter where I am..:thumbsup2 ..no matter if the food is good or bad...whether the service is excellent or so-so....that's what I decide....now!!!!!:lmao: Can't wait...!!!!!

dizcrazed
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I agree. I went in May this year and there was really nothing good, maybe the dessert ice cream, that is about it. I felt hungry still when I left. Not a very good selection at all!! The waitress took a long time to refill our drinks too.

pooch
06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
good pot roast, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, peel & eat shrimp, cold fruit. What more do you need? Not gourmet but certainly decent for a buffet. Underimpressed with the menu at MM so we're doing H & V again this year.

Minniespal
06-06-2007, 07:24 AM
What a pity that you didn't enjoy your meal. H & V used to be a tradition for us. Last time we ate there, the food was not as good as during previous visits. Don't think we will eat there again unless it improves.

Buzz2001
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
We've enjoyed all of our meals there. We've eaten there 4 or 5 times. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

mefordis
06-09-2007, 09:08 PM
We walked in, took a look at the buffet, and hightailed it out of there. The buffet DID look like it would be a prison buffet! :) Good call! Looked dirty, too.

jrb967
06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
We ate dinner here on 6/4 for the FDP. 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 15, 12, 11 and 8). We had a 330 ADR so the food was very fresh and everyone enjoyed it. Our server was excellent, think his name was Bill? older gentleman w/ an English accent. The kids found plenty to eat and the adults enjoyed everything. Highlights were the corn spoonbread(think that is what its called) and the apple cobbler but we also enjoyed the garlic mashed potatoes, mussels and a great pasta w/ crab meat and broccoli in a cream sauce. My 12 year old who has expensive tastes(been eating from an adult menu since he was 6 because "kids meals are boring") really enjoyed the salmon.

Praying Colonel
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Seems H&V and the Cape May clambake are real lightning rods for opinions. Lots of stuff pro and con. Our family's eaten at H&V twice and really liked it both times. YMMV.

tink_about_it
06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
We only tried in once and have never wanted to go back! It was BAD!:scared:

JoiseyMom
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow, we go there every year, and we always have good service and food. Yes it is loud, but heck, with my kids it's perfect. Kids love the kids buffet and the dessert. DD loves the shrimp, and I love the kids bbq meatballs. We have never left that restaurant hungry. But everyone is different. We also live Mama Melrose, and lots don't.

You have to try it for yourself to find out.

keishashadow
06-20-2007, 09:48 AM
We ate there on 5/31 with a group of 13. It was great. Everyone was able to find something they liked. We did have to eat at 3:30 for our Fantasmic Package. But with 13 people it is easier if you eat when they are less crowded.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Except for the desserts, I thought it was on par with Chef Mickey's.
:thumbsup2 i term it a 'poor man's CM;)

We look forward to it each trip, Fantasmic Pkg or not.

Always sad to hear when someone hates a favorite restaurant. (Know i was shocked how bad MM was last Oct.; despite other's high praises.) Suppose anywhere can have an off night or different regional tastes effect opins?:confused3

Perhaps if enough folks decide to dine elsewhere it will become easier to get a ressie here again.:wizard: