PDA

View Full Version : 8 Days of Disney Dining Starting with a little MOLD! (Day 6 posted 6/11/07)

srdipert
05-30-2007, 09:07 PM
The Cast:

Me: Loves Steak, Key Lime Pie, Salad and looking forward to Columbia Harbor House Tuna Fish Sandwich for months.

DH: Loves any kind of meat, Hot Dogs from MK, LOVES the Boma and thinks his wife spends too much time reading dinning reviews on the DIS but was he grateful at the end of the trip?

DS1: 6 years old One the most pickiest eaters ever love Pizza, Steak, and can eat his weight in fruit!

DS2: 18 months old and he will eat anything and I mean ANYTHING you put in front of him.

We have been planning this trip a year and were looking forward to trying some different places. We were in Disney for 9 days but the last night we stayed in a hotel close the airport so we didn’t eat at Disney on night 8 or day nine so I will skip my review of the Olive Garden and the airport cheeseburger!

Snacks: I can’t remember all the snacks that we had but we did get some great candy items from Goofys, school bread from epcot that was absolutely divine, Dole Float first on ever and I loved it, and numerous rice crispy treats for ds2 because he could live on rice crispy treat alone!!

Sorry no pictures my dh thought that was a little crazy! Plus trying to wrangle a toddler and a six year old didn’t really allow for much picture time anyway.

The restaurants that we will be reviewed:

Pecos Bill (Dinner)
Tusker House (Lunch)
Cap’n Jacks (Dinner)
Pop Food Court (Pizza)
Main Street Bakery (Breakfast)
Columbia Harbor House (Lunch)
Chef Mickey’s (Dinner)
Leaning Palms (Lunch)
Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Dinner)
Cantina De San Angel (Lunch)
Boma (Dinner)
Hollywood and Vine (Play and Dine Lunch)
Kona Café (Dinner)
Flame Tree (Lunch)
Ohana (Dinner)
Boma (Breakfast)
Earl of Sandwich (Lunch)

Next up: Day One and how it started with a little mold! :sick:

Swimnoid
05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Can't wait to read the rest of your review. You've got some of my favorite places on the list.

scrapperjill
05-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Looking forward to hearing your reviews.

Minniespal
05-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Looking forward to reading more:thumbsup2

wideeyes
05-31-2007, 06:46 AM
we are eating at a few of those, looking forward to hearing more.

Disneyolic
05-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I guess you drew me in with the "mold"....waiting patiently...:rolleyes:

REL1203
05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
MOLD? We dont need no stinking mold!!!!

TigerKat
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Can't wait for the tuna sandwich review (I can't believe I just posted that). I'm dying to try it!

srdipert
05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Day One:

May 19th we arrived at Pop about 6 pm and quickly headed out to Magic Kingdom for some quick rides and CS dinner. I really wanted to go to Columbia Harbor House but dh wasn’t in the mood for fish or chicken so we compromised and went to Pecos Bills,

We arrived about 8:30 for dinner and Spectro was that night. We had intended on watching Spectro a different night but we sat out on the patio and it was a great place to watch through the fence and there was no crowd! We just stood up when it was time for the parade and watched!

Now on to the actual food: We all shared two Bacon Double Cheeseburger with fries and a chicken wrap with fries with two diet cokes and chocolate milk. We really liked the burgers and the topping bar was great. The chicken wrap was gross even ds2 that will eat Anything wouldn’t touch it! For dessert we got two peanut butter brownie mousse and a strawberry yogurt. The kids loved the strawberry yogurt and it was gone in a matter of minutes considering they didn’t touch any of the other food.

Now on to the MOLD dh was eating his mousse and said it was just okay. It was very dark on the patio and he had eaten about 1/3 of it and was trying to get the kids to taste it but they weren’t interested. When he went to hand it over to ds to try it went into the light and he about puked at the sight of mold all over the top!

He took his receipt up to the counter to complain and the lady behind the counter just took him and gave him another one. He said he didn’t want another one as there was no way he could ever eat one again. He asked to speak to a manager because he was afraid that he would get sick from it and this was our first night there! At first the manager was very unapologetic about it and wasn’t really going to do anything about it but than a very nice lady that worked there also came up and she totally freaked out. She had the other workers check the other mousse and there were several they tossed that also had mold on them. The manager credited back his CS credit and gave us a coupon for 4 free meals later in the week but we never used them. He also gave him a card for someone at guest relations in case he got sick. The lady that came up later was very nice and got my dh another coke to settle his stomach and she came out and talked to us for a few minutes while we watched the parade.

Overall Pecos Bills was good not sure we could ever eat dessert there again though!

Day Two: Tusker House (Lunch), Cap’n Jacks (Dinner), Pop Food Court (Pizza)

Disneyolic
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh my goodness! That is totally awful. I had seen so many pictures of that brownie peanut butter mousse that I really wanted one! Now I'm not so sure...but I probably still will. I'll just make sure I check it first! :laughing:

Dreamfinder2
05-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Lord, have mercy. I just ate one of the mousses at Pecos Bills last week. I didn't get any mold ... I don't think ... gee, I'm feeling kinda icky ...

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who got vetoed on taking photos. Some folks just don't get it.

SheenaXena21
05-31-2007, 11:41 AM
When he went to hand it over to ds to try it went into the light and he about puked at the sight of mold all over the top!

:scared1:

I don't think I can EVER eat there again!!! I don't care if they were serving filet mignon for the same price as a burger. That's just gross!!!:eek:

2manypets
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Eewww:scared: I haven't eaten at Pecos Bills in years, good thing!

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Hate to tell you all, but lots of food has mold spores and growth in it, it just hasn't matured to the fuzzy reproductive state yet. Then again, some like that blue cheese dressing has. Mold growth starts in fresh bread as soon as spores settle on it(the air is full of them) when removed from the oven. Notice that bread starts tasting different and the texture changes even prior to getting visible mold? It's because of the hard to see mold that hasn't gotten to the reproductive stage yet. Most food mold isn't seriously toxic(there are exceptions, notably mycotoxins in grains and nuts). The really bad news is that conditions favorable to mold growth, warm and moist are also very favorable to bacteria growth, which is usually a much greater concern from a food poisining standpoint.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Molds_On_Food/index.asp

srdipert
05-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Can't wait for the tuna sandwich review (I can't believe I just posted that). I'm dying to try it!

Well worth the wait!!

Ann Hess
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry about your luck. Better meals ahead!! I hope:goodvibes

Ann

TruBlu
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I need to know about the tuna too. Was it sweet? Did it have onions? :confused3

srdipert
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Day Two: Sunday May 20

Tusker House - We have wanted to try this place several times but we love Flame Tree so much that we never got around to it so today while we were waiting for our fast passes for the safari we tried something new.

Dh and I had two ½ Rotisserie Chickens with Green Beans and Mash Potatoes. DS2 ate most of both of our mash potatoes and most of my chicken but the small amount I ate was very good. Dh also like his. Ds1 had Fried Chicken Sandwich plain with nothing on it and ate the whole things. Didn’t touch the fries though because he is only kid I know that doesn’t like fries. We also had 3 regular size diet cokes because they would not allow large drinks on the DDP.

For dessert we had 2 chocolate cakes and 1 carrot cake shard all three among the four of us but they were all just okay!

Overall it was a really good lunch but I guess we will not try it again since it will no longer be there when we go back.

Cap’n Jacks- We ate dinner at 6pm here. We had never been here before and thought it was worth a shot for the lobster tails. For appetizers I had the crab cakes Topped with Cajun-Horseradish sauce and Napa slaw and they were delicious. Hands down the best part of the meal. Dh had the spinach and artichoke dip and he really liked it but liked my crab cakes better. DS2 loved the crab cakes! DS1 had a choice of salad or chowder and he chose the salad with ranch dressing and it was okay. Dh and I both had twin lobster tails. I substituted mash potatoes for the rice and I really liked the mash potatoes. Dh wished he would have made the substitution because he didn’t care for the rice. We both thought the lobster tails were kind of touch and chewy. DS1 had the kids mac and cheese which he didn’t touch because it look weird to him…it was kind dark orange but I tasted it and it was pretty good. His meal also came with a bag of gold fish crackers that he devoured.

For dessert dh and I had the key lime pie that we both shared with ds1 and we all thought it was really good….not as good as the one I make but good!  DS1 had a choice of a fruit cup or a smoothie for dessert and he chose the fruit cup and him and DS2 shared it.

Overall we thought it was a good a deal for a 1TS credit but if we were paying OOP we probably wouldn’t go again. If so many other good choices for TS it might be awhile before we return. Our server wasn’t all that great either. We had to continuously ask for refills and she acted like it was a bother.

We had a great table over looking the water and the kids enjoyed watching the people on the boats.

Pop Food Court: We never really ate a meal here but by 10pm we were all a little hungry and DS1 being the picky eater he is was starving since he didn’t eat his dinner. So we got a large pepperoni pizza to take back to the room. It only took about 10 mins to get and it was really good. We only ate about half of it but it was well worth the $16.00.

Simbee3
06-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Pop Food Court: We never really ate a meal here but by 10pm we were all a little hungry and DS1 being the picky eater he is was starving since he didn’t eat his dinner. So we got a large pepperoni pizza to take back to the room. It only took about 10 mins to get and it was really good. We only ate about half of it but it was well worth the $16.00.

Just curious abot the pizza. Did you use a cs credit for this? And can't wait to hear your review of the Maya Grill. I am so curious about their desserts. As well as you review of the Mama Melrose Fantasmic dinner package.

wilma-bride
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Enjoying your reviews - although, admittedly, the mold information was a little hard to stomach :sick:

Tusker House sounds quite good - it's a shame we won't get to experience it as it will be closed when we go back.

budbeerlady
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Cannot wait to read the rest, Thanks for the reviews!

richard_andmel
06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Great reviews. :) Sorry about the dessert at Pecos Bill's.

lajones81
06-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I can't wait to read more! :)

kritter
06-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Where in MK is peco bills????

ruthma
06-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Where in MK is peco bills????

It's in Frontierland near the country Bear Jamboree.

kritter
06-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Is it Table Service???

ruthma
06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Is it Table Service???

Counter

DisneyJo
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Loving your reviews although I wasn't expecting mold, I thought it stood for something else as we spell it mould :lmao: I hope he didn't get sick and I'm so glad I don't like peanuts so I won't be ordering it anyway :rotfl2:

srdipert
06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Day Three:

Well today was supposed to begin with an 8:05 ADR for Crystal Palace but about 2:30 am DS1 woke up vomiting (too many blue icees…hmmm??) so we decided that we all needed to rest in and make sure that he was feeling okay before heading out to the parks. So there went my hopes of seeing the park empty and getting into MK early but thankfully ds was okay and after resting he was feeling better and ready to go!

So we made a stop at the Main Street Bakery. We asked the lady in the line if we could get two pastries and a drink for a counter services credit instead of a sandwich and a pastry. She said okay but once we got to the check out the guy very rudely explained to us that wasn’t correct. He went ahead and gave it to use anyway but said he was going to have to write up the lady behind the counter for giving incorrect information.

Anyway we used two CS credits for a banana bread, a cherry turnover, a French toast loaf, and a cinnamon roll with a diet coke and a chocolate milk. We also used a snack credit for a bowl of strawberries that the boys devoured in no time! It was really too much food for the four of us and we wished we would have just gotten two pastries. We saved the banana bread for later and the kids ate it as a mid morning snack in the stroller. The cherry turnover was much to sweet so we just picked at it but the bread was very flaky and tasty. I really enjoyed the French toast loaf but didn’t use the syrup as it was sweet enough on its own. Dh didn’t care for it but he really like the cinnamon roll and the kids had a little of both.

We had lunch at Columbia Harbor House. It was one meal that I had been most looking forward too. My dh thought I was crazy for getting so excited about a Tuna sandwich but I have to say it lived up to my expectations. I really do not like mayo and it was very light in this tuna salad and the multigrain bread was delicious. It came with a side of chips. Dh and DS got the fish and chicken with fries and the fish was wonderful not overly greasy like I expected. They also allowed us to get large drinks here. We bought the baby a mac and cheese with two orders of grapes and he loved it! We all three had the apple crisp and we all just thought it was okay. I thought it should be warm but dh like it cold.

We will definitely return here on our next visit!!

Chef Mickey (Dinner) We had dinner ADR for 6:30 at Chef Mickey’s and were seated very quickly after we had our picture taken. We have eaten here before and really enjoyed the food but tonight would be the exception. We found the food to be kind of blah and the character interaction rushed. In the past we found it to be very exciting and the kids really enjoyed it but not tonight.

Compared to the other meals that we had later in the week we probably will not return here for dinner but we may give it another shot for breakfast next time. .

wilma-bride
06-04-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the update - shame you didn't enjoy Chef Mickeys. So, ordinarily, is it a sandwich, pastry and drink you can get for 1 CS credit at main street bakery?

We love CHH too - it's our favourite CS at MK :thumbsup2

Busymom85
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Sorry about Chef Mickeys. We are considering eating there in Dec.

TigerKat
06-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Another great review of the CHH tuna sandwich!!:woohoo:

srdipert
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Day Four:

Today was our water park day so we had CS lunch at Leaning Palms in Typhoon Lagoon. I had the chili cheese hot dog with fries, ds1 has pizza (he loves pizza so if it is on the menu that is what he has, and dh had the chicken sandwich with fries. We all had ice cream bars for dessert and they let you come back to pick them up once you are finished with your meal.

Overall it was a pretty good lunch! We would definitely eat there again if we were at a water park and needed a quick lunch!

We had 5:20 ADR for Mama Melrose's Fantasmic package. This was our first time dining here and I was a little nervous with the mixed reviews but we didn’t want to do H&V so we tried it. My dh loved it and I thought it was really good. We will probably do it again for the Fantasmic package.
Dh had Artisan Breads and Spreads for his appetizer…this is a huge amount of various bread and spreads. I had the Mozzarella and Tomatoes and it was good but not enough flavoring more just like sliced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese on top. It was a nice accompaniment to the breads that dh got so we shared and it was great. DS had the salad with ranch dressing and it was a nice little salad.

For entrees dh had the Charred Butcher Tender Steak and it was delicious!! I wish I would have ordered this! I had the Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan and it was just ok…kind of tasted a little processed. DS had the pepperoni pizza and he ate it all. I was a little worried because he is picky about his pizza.

Dessert: I had the Crema Limone and it was a very light and refreshing dessert and I really enjoyed it. Dh Chocolate gelato and he really enjoyed it but I didn’t think it was anything special. Ds had the make your own sundae and liked it.

BabyPiglet
06-08-2007, 12:32 AM
See, that's sad. Because the Pecos Bill chicken wrap is my favorite thing to eat at WDW. Why didn't you like it?

wilma-bride
06-08-2007, 12:59 AM
We like Leaning Palms at TL too. Mama Melrose sounds nice.

srdipert
06-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Day Five

Today was our 9th wedding anniversary so I planned Boma for dinner since that is my dh’s favorite restaurant

Lunch would be at Cantina De San Angel counter service. I had the Cantina Nachos - tortilla chips, beef, cheese, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, sour cream, black refried beans. These were very tasty one thing that I did find suprising is that the other meals come with salsa but not the nachos?? That’s okay I stole some from ds’s meal!  DH had the Plato Combinacion - chicken taco, beef burrito and a quesadilla served with black refried beans and Mexican salsa which he enjoyed also. The quesadilla was quite small but there was plenty of food! DS had the Tacos al Carbon - flour tortillas filled with grilled chicken, onions and peppers, served with black refried beans and Mexican salsa minus the onions and pepper. He shared with the ds2 and they both enjoyed the chicken tacos. We all had diet coke to drink but they only let you have regular size here not larges. We all had the Churros for dessert but dh was the only that really liked them.
We all enjoyed this meal but it was a lot of food so we were stuffed when we left! We had 6:30 reservations for the Boma and tried to move it to about 7:30 but the only time they had left was 9:00 and that was too late so we kept the 6:30.

The Boma was very good. We didn’t have a great server as we had to keep asking for more drinks. My dh is the adventurous eater here and tries many of the different foods. He loves the mustard sauce that comes with the meats. Ds ate his weight in strawberries, grapes and melon give him a fruit bar and he is happy! I thought the prime rib was very tasty and enjoyed the potatoes (shamefully with lots of ketchup)! They also had very good sweet cornbread!
The desserts were really great. We all like the zebra domes. I also really like the banana bread with the rum sauce that you could pour over it.

Overall it was one the best meals that we had while at DW. We will definitely eat here again. We were all still a little full from lunch but we left here stuffed!!

srdipert
06-10-2007, 10:45 PM
See, that's sad. Because the Pecos Bill chicken wrap is my favorite thing to eat at WDW. Why didn't you like it?

We just thought the chicken was cold and flavorless.

srdipert
06-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Sorry about Chef Mickeys. We are considering eating there in Dec.

Give it a try. We have really liked it in the past so maybe it was just a bad night or we had so many other good meals!!

srdipert
06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update - shame you didn't enjoy Chef Mickeys. So, ordinarily, is it a sandwich, pastry and drink you can get for 1 CS credit at main street bakery?

Yes 1cs is a breakfast sandwich, pastry and drink. Which really is a better deal money wise than two pastries and a drink. Mmmmm I am still hungry thinking of that French toast loaf!!

DisneyJo
06-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for more great reviews :goodvibes

BabyPiglet
06-11-2007, 01:25 AM
We just thought the chicken was cold and flavorless.
It's supposed to be cold.

I think it's very flavorful and tasty.

:] Everyone has different tastebuds though. :]

Simbee3
06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the review.

Tinkerbell_Girl
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the reviews!

wilma-bride
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the update and the info on Main Street Bakery CS :thumbsup2

granmaz
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Enjoying the reviews thanks!!:thumbsup2 Thanks for the update - shame you didn't enjoy Chef Mickeys. So, ordinarily, is it a sandwich, pastry and drink you can get for 1 CS credit at main street bakery?

We love CHH too - it's our favourite CS at MK :thumbsup2

We had 2 pastries and a drink for 1 CS credit at Main Streed Bakery in December. It was lurvly!!:love:

srdipert
06-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Day 6
Hollywood and Vine (Play and Dine Lunch) we had the earliest lunch time available which I think was 11:45. We had a table that was right in front of where they sing and dance which was okay for my toddler but a little busy place to sit with everyone constantly standing by your table. Also we had to ask for the characters to come to our table because they would often skip us thinking they had already been there (I guess).

Since we had the first lunch reservation they still had one line of breakfast foods and the other line of lunch foods. This was nice so we had a little brunch!! The breakfast side had all the standard breakfast fare…eggs, bacon, sausage, mickey waffles, fruit, pastries, yogurt etc… The lunch side had flank steak with peppers and onions that was very good other side items, pasta dishes, salads, make your sandwich meats etc… There was a really great assortment of foods so I think that everyone would find something the liked.

The dessert choices weren’t as great here as they are at crystal palace and honestly I can’t really remember what they had. Maybe we were too full to really enjoy dessert after we ate lunch and breakfast in one meal! 

The food was pretty good here but the characters are not as great as some other character meals so unless my children just really wanted to go here again…we will probably skip it next time.

Dinner was at the Kona Café. We had never ate here before and I was really looking forward to trying a new place after all the rave reviews.
For appetizers I had the crab cakes and these were really good but I liked the ones at Captn Jacks better. I didn’t really care for the Asian Tartar sauce but I am not a mayo fan. DH had the sticky wings and he loved them so did ds1. DS got the chicken noodle soup and this was really good soup!! We shared what part he didn’t eat since he preferred the sticky wings!! They also brought out Hawaiian bread with honey butter and we all enjoyed that!!

DH and I both had the Beef Teriyaki - 10 ounce sirloin strip, grilled with pineapple teriyaki sauce, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, and stir-fried broccoli florets and we both loved it!! The pineapple teriyaki sauce on the steak was delicious and it was very moist. When we were leaving the people beside us ordered the prime rib and dh had missed it on the menu and he wished he would have ordered that instead. DS had the hot dog and this was a very disappointing meal for kids as it was just a hot dog with no sides. I asked the waiter and he said if you got the appetizer than you don’t get a side item with the kids meal. I think it should at least come with some fruit or fries. DS ate it and said it was very good. He also shared some of our steak and sides.

For dessert dh ordered the Kiddie Cone because you can’t get this on the kids menu even though looks like a kids dessert so he could share with ds1. It is a large waffle cone with ices cream and toppings surrounded by cotton candy and candy pieces. It was way more than the two of them could eat. DS got the make your own sundae with his meal and we gave it to ds2. I ordered the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart and if you really like macadamia nuts this dessert is wonderful. It is very rich and sweet though and quite a lot of dessert. I could only eat about half but I really enjoyed it. The filling of the pie almost tasted like pecan pie except with macadamia nuts.
This was a great meal and we will definitely eat here on our next trip!! This was one place that I think their kids meals are lacking but we can always share and he was happy with what he got.