PDA

View Full Version : Confused About Snack Credits

WatchinCaptKangaroo
05-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I keep reading that people have snack credits left over.

Are you just not eating snacks or are they so hard to use in places that they aren't worth the hassle?

I'm having a really hard time imagining how I will have any snack credits left over but I'm getting a bit concerned because of how many posts I've read about left over credits.

Thanks for any words of encouragement!

deide71
05-27-2007, 08:06 PM
We did not find the snack credits hard to use, we just rarely needed to use them.

We were usually so full from our meals that snacking in between was not something we did frequently. We used the credits for water or soda, milk, occaisionaly a piece of fruit or pastry for breakfast, etc.

On our last trip we used the snack credits for a box of donuts and some chips to keep in the room.

We still ended up with a few credits we needed to burn up at the end of the trip.

briannesmom
05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Are you just not eating snacks or are they so hard to use in places that they aren't worth the hassle?

We found the snack credits very easy to use so I think it is more a case of not needing a snack or not knowing everything they are good for. The first time we used the dining plan we had snack credits leftover but I don't think the credits were good for as many items back then. It did seem like we had a lot of credits to use because most of the time we would share snacks but we managed to use them all. It was pretty hot when we were there so we used some for water and frozen lemonades. They were great for breakfast because you can get a bowl of fruit or a pastry or muffin.

WatchinCaptKangaroo
05-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks! I was getting concerned.

We like to eat and I know we'll be eating more than one snack a day. It just sounded like they were really hard to use because people were coming home with them or scrambling to use them.

I feel much better now. Thanks again!

amykathleen2005
05-27-2007, 08:15 PM
If you check out the list that is stickied on Disney Restraurants on snacks it will give you a whole list of where and what you can use your snack credits on. You literally probably cannot walk more than 5 minutes in a park without finding someplace to get an accepted snack. After all of the other foods on the dining plan people are just too full to use them. In my opinon though snack credits really need not be "wasted" per se as there are many packaged items such as chips, candies, drinks that can be taken home and eaten later.

marcyinPA
05-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Ditto what they all said....we were all too full to use many of our credits. We did buy a box of donuts with one credit for a quick in-room breakfast one morning. We got a few ice cream/popsicles, and we got Dole whips. We got some fruit, which we shared, and a root beer float, oh, and some treats from Goofy's. On our going home day, we STILL had 12 credits to burn. We used 3 of them in the MK for a root beer float, an ice cream cone, and some Figaro fries. Before we left Pop, I spent the rest on pre-packaged stuff I could take home with me. We're still eating some Mickey pretzels and Minnie graham snacks! LOL

WatchinCaptKangaroo
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I love that list! I already made a mental note to use the extras at Goofy's for goodies to take home.

I live about 15 minutes from Disneyland and am looking forward to trying all the goodies I either won't buy here or we don't have here.

CF'er
05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I will also add that the "snacks" allowed now are much more than when we went in April '06. That makes it much easier to find/get a snack. I know that we brought water with us and I didn't want to "use up" all our snack credits so I ended up paying for some snacks but then brought home a few mickey crispy treats to use up all our credits.

Saying that.... it wasn't hard or a pain to use.... you just need to be smarter than I was...LOL

Katiebell
05-27-2007, 08:33 PM
We found ourselves holding on to our snack credits, concerned that they wouldn't last the whole trip, or that we'd "waste" them on less expensive items -- ie: it's worth up to $4, so why spend it on a $2 bottle of water? For those things we ended up paying OOP, but should have just used our snack credits because we had about 5 or 6 left on our last day as we were leaving, and spent them at the candy store on Main Street. Too many times we had thought we might use a credit for ice cream, etc, and we were just not hungry. But we sure went through a lot of bottled water!

WatchinCaptKangaroo
05-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks again! I'm trying to figure out how to transport water but I'll probably end up buying it there. Well water and booze. :rotfl2:

Anyone want to tell me their favorite snack? Preferably something that can't be had at Disneyland (dole whips, filled pretzels, frozen lemonaid...)

amykathleen2005
05-27-2007, 08:56 PM
I really liked the Pineapple Float I just had from Aloha Isle in Adventureland.

kileybeth
05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
well. . .if any dis'ers are at the Poly from 9/18 and leaving before the 9/25 and have extra snack credits. . .

I'm not thinking we would have any trouble at all using them up for you with 4 kiddos and 2 adults! :rotfl:

Katiebell
05-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks again! I'm trying to figure out how to transport water but I'll probably end up buying it there. Well water and booze. :rotfl2:

Anyone want to tell me their favorite snack? Preferably something that can't be had at Disneyland (dole whips, filled pretzels, frozen lemonaid...)

We ordered a case of water and a case of soda and a styrofoam cooler from Garden Grocer -- MUCH cheaper, but could only carry a couple of bottles to the parks each day. Ended up "pixie dusting" :tink: the cooler and extra waters and sodas to another family when we left -- they had a lot of kids and sure seemed tickled :goodvibes

We loved the Dole Whip floats, but yeah, that's a DL staple, have had them a lot before -- DL's are WAY better, though, because they give you a skewer with a chunk of fresh pineapple and a maraschino cherry, and a little paper parasol! We really liked the School Bread in Norway, and the pastries at the Main Street Bakery.

Pumbaa_
05-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Ditto what the others have said. We used about 6 snack credits at Goofy's for take home stuff :goodvibes

Normally, we don't order an appy and a dessert at every meal. We had way too much food for extra snacks. I thought the same thing, how can you not use all your snack credits :rotfl:. But after a couple days of LARGE meals, it just wasn't happening.

We do stay DVC though and did have breakfast and water in the room, so that does make a difference.

For snacks that we did buy, the school bread in norway is yummy! I want more

WatchinCaptKangaroo
05-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks again! I feel much better now.

tndisneyfan
05-28-2007, 01:17 PM
We had quite a few snack credits left over on our last trip. We had no problem using them but we found we didn't need them. We carried a Brita water sport bottle in the parks so we didn't need too many extra drinks, when we did get one the three of us would split it. With all the food we weren't hungry between meals to want a snack. We didn't lose our leftovers credits though, we went to the food court and got a lot of goodies for the trip home.:thumbsup2

KKB
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
why one would "save" SC...
I understand trying to get the most for one's $ (I LOVE a good deal...)
But it makes MUCH more sense to use the SC up front, and pay any OOP if you need to at the end...rather than the other way around.
I REFUSE to buy bottled water when I can get ice water free at any CS restaurant!
And I am one of those who will not use my SC on things I can easily get at home...ice cream sundaes and such. I wanna use them to try things unique to WDW or at least difficult to get in my neck of the world! (except fruit...gonna need a bit of that each day!)
Cannot WAIT...sincerely am EXCITED about trying the DDP!

pavil
05-28-2007, 01:45 PM
why one would "save" SC...
I understand trying to get the most for one's $ (I LOVE a good deal...)
But it makes MUCH more sense to use the SC up front, and pay any OOP if you need to at the end...rather than the other way around.
I REFUSE to buy bottled water when I can get ice water free at any CS restaurant!
And I am one of those who will not use my SC on things I can easily get at home...ice cream sundaes and such. I wanna use them to try things unique to WDW or at least difficult to get in my neck of the world! (except fruit...gonna need a bit of that each day!)
Cannot WAIT...sincerely am EXCITED about trying the DDP!

That's was our philosopy and thats why we ended up with credits. You won't buy a water or ice cream yet you won't "save" you SC's? hmmmm.

If it's only a couple people with snacks thats no big deal to use, larger families seem to end up with more snacks credits left. Towards the end of the trip I was buying soft drinks, hot chocolates and waters with the credits. Sounds crazy but true.

It really made no sense to get 5 ice creams or frozen lemonades at once for our family (DH,DW,DK's 9,7,6). We have been used to the "just get water at the fountains" routine as well. In retrospect we should have used them more upfront and paid OOP towards the end if we ran out.

If only Beer were a snack................................. then my problem would have been solved at Epcot.

knlanf
05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I can see my gang using up those credts on Whips! :love:

-Kevin

MSSANDRA
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
We used every one of our SC but we were quite creative and did not take any food nor spend one extra penny on food. We often shared two CS meals and would use a SC for an extra fry or drink. We used them for a fruit cup to balance our buger meals we shared and for a sweet roll for a quick breakfast. WE also had quite a few ice creams and a few dole whips. We never worried about using them but never needed to pay out of pocket either. We finished them up with our breakfast the last morning. One CS and a few SC made a perfect breakfast.

kileybeth
05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
okay, just found out that DH and I are gonna be able to make a quickie trip down to the World 2 weeks prior to our family vacation. will be using free DDP that trip as well but for just the 2 of us.

I must be over thinking this or we just really eat a lot?

Breakfast is not covered at all so. . .use a snack credit (one credit and split it for 2 of us? we do like to eat breakfast) Lunch is covered, probably counter service. a square meal, so we are fine and fairly full using 2 Counter service credits. Maybe we've saved a dessert for room later that evening (how to carry such a thing about all day is a bit troublesome) late TS ressie. We are hungry again by now and because it is hot this time of year, I've already used another snack credit for a drink we split, then paid OOP for another one. TS dinner is huge. no question. Can I pack up my leftovers to take with me or do I just let it go?

Typically watch late news in room and have a drink before bed and a little something?? so, the theory is, I'll be to full for this? I am actually diabetic but do eat most anything, just know I need that bedtime snack to stabilize me overnight. . .

really glad we are going down with just 2 of us, maybe it will feel different when I am there and I can think more clearly about what my 4 picky eaters will be doing with all their credits (they would rather the plan included 1 CS, no TS, and 4 snacks a day and a gallon of milk if truth be told! that is how they eat! yikes)

love any suggestions from large families who have made this work. I am planning on getting an order from gardengrocer for water bottles, snacks and such that I know they will eat and buying a couple refillable mugs for the jr. hi set. . .anything else?

Jaime
05-29-2007, 06:02 AM

We always bring a small suitcase with 24 water in it and then use it to bring home anything we buy.

Katiebell
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
okay, just found out that DH and I are gonna be able to make a quickie trip down to the World 2 weeks prior to our family vacation. will be using free DDP that trip as well but for just the 2 of us.

I must be over thinking this or we just really eat a lot?

Breakfast is not covered at all so. . .use a snack credit (one credit and split it for 2 of us? we do like to eat breakfast) Lunch is covered, probably counter service. a square meal, so we are fine and fairly full using 2 Counter service credits. Maybe we've saved a dessert for room later that evening (how to carry such a thing about all day is a bit troublesome) late TS ressie. We are hungry again by now and because it is hot this time of year, I've already used another snack credit for a drink we split, then paid OOP for another one. TS dinner is huge. no question. Can I pack up my leftovers to take with me or do I just let it go?

Typically watch late news in room and have a drink before bed and a little something?? so, the theory is, I'll be to full for this? I am actually diabetic but do eat most anything, just know I need that bedtime snack to stabilize me overnight. . .

really glad we are going down with just 2 of us, maybe it will feel different when I am there and I can think more clearly about what my 4 picky eaters will be doing with all their credits (they would rather the plan included 1 CS, no TS, and 4 snacks a day and a gallon of milk if truth be told! that is how they eat! yikes)

love any suggestions from large families who have made this work. I am planning on getting an order from gardengrocer for water bottles, snacks and such that I know they will eat and buying a couple refillable mugs for the jr. hi set. . .anything else?

The most important thing I read in your post is that you are diabetic. That's great that you can eat pretty much anything, but I understand the need to eat on a regular basis to keep yourself on an even keel.

The CS meals vary a lot -- depending on what you order, they can definitely be enough to share for two. If it's you and DH, you might consider sharing a CS breakfast and one snack, sharing a CS lunch and one snack, then having a TS dinner and if possible, saving a small portion, or your dessert if it's portable, to take back to your room and eat at bedtime if you need something then. For example, DH and I shared a breakfast platter at the Pop -- a lot for one person, but would have been a pretty light breakfast split two ways -- which had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and a biscuit. We also used a snack credit for a bagel with cream cheese, and paid OOP for beverages. That made a perfect breakfast for the two of us. Another morning, we used a snack credit for a bagel and cream cheese, and a second snack credit for a fresh fruit cup -- a lighter meal, but still worked well for us to share.

Some CS lunches are definitely large enough to share, especially if you use a snack credit wisely to supplement with a fresh fruit cup, etc. We shared the Chicken and Lamb Sharwarma platter at Tangierine, and it was plenty. We also shared a combo platter at the Cantina -- enough to eat, but we didn't really care for it much (we are from CA and very picky about Mexican food, I think! :laughing:) There are other large CS meals, like the chicken and rib combo at Cosmic Ray's, or a double cheeseburger at Pecos Bill's (you can purchase a second bun for less than a dollar if it's easier to share the burger that way). You can always supplement with a snack credit, and that would hopefully give you a sufficient amount to eat morning and lunchtime to keep you going. Some CS were definitely not enough to share -- like at Tusker House, the salmon was really only enough for one person (unless you are both very light eaters), as was the half sandwich turkey wrap and cup of corn chowder my husband ordered. And it's a good thing DH can't eat seafood, because I wouldn't have shared my salmon anyway -- it was too good! :rotfl2:

Some TS meals were small enough portions that we could eat it all for that meal, but at several, we found ourselves leaving quite a bit. If you need something at bedtime, you might try looking at the meal and setting aside a part of it that would be easy to transport back to the room for later -- or see if the dessert is not too perishable, or ask if they can give you fruit for dessert. Never hurts to ask :goodvibes

And of course, if you run low on credits, there's absolutely nothing to stop you from paying for a few items OOP. As for when you have the picky eaters with you...if they really won't like or use TS credits, then it may not be to your advantage to do the dining plan. But if you are getting it for free, you might just try to select TS restaurants that serve things they like -- plenty of places serve meat and potatoes kind of stuff, or burgers, things like that. Or buffets, where everyone can pick exactly what they want, and if they don't like it, they can go get something else.

calypso*a*go-go
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
The snack credits are probably the easiest to use but we still ended up having 12 credits left (between 4 people). It wasn't because we were saving them or trying to get the biggest bang for the buck -- we just weren't hungry by the time we had a CS and TS meal each day. We used them all at Goofy's and got a whole bag of treats. We ate some of them on the plane, and finished them at home.

Foxes Den
05-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I was reading somewhere else that you can use a snack credit on a childrens meal? Is this true?

Taylor

grumpy.uncle
05-29-2007, 02:01 PM
The DDP really gives you alot of food. I think those posters that suggest using 1CS w/ 1 or 2 snacks added, split between two people, have the right idea. It seems that if you use your meals for yourself, you tend to be so stuffed that you can't snack between meals. I tend to like a light breakfast, so I would tend to use a snack credit for breakfast and then use the CS and TS for lunch and dinner. The DDP gives you a huge amount of food. I think you get an appetizer, beverage, entree, and dessert for each meal. That is alot to eat at one sitting. If you are getting DDP free, it really is an incredible deal. Eating OOP at Disney can be a real killer. We normally keep some grocery items in our room. Most of the Disney resorts have a little store somewhere where you can purchase the basics. While they may be a little more expensive, you don't have to deal w/ transportation to a market and back. I know the store downstairs at the Boardwalk has continually added more and more to their grocery selection. They even have some fresh fruit. I'm not sure if you can use DDP in these stores but I bet you could.

illiniowl
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I was reading somewhere else that you can use a snack credit on a childrens meal? Is this true?

Taylor

Not true, at least not officially. I'm not saying there has never been a CM somewhere who somehow allowed someone to get a "kids meal" (i.e., at a CS or even a TS restaurant, although I think if it was to happen it would almost have to be at a CS place since TS places generally don't even sell snack items on the DDP) in exchange for a SC, but officially, the only things you can purchase with a SC are items marked with the DDP symbol (these items tend to be under $4 but this does not mean that every under-$4 item is available for a SC).

Now, what you can do is buy something with a SC and feed it to your child for his/her meal. (;) - I'm sure you knew this.) The classic example is a box of doughnuts or a box of cold cereal at a resort food court.

kileybeth
05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
sorry OT

katiebell

Thank you so much for offering those helpful suggetions. I do think 1 CS and 1 snack will be just about right for DH and I to split for B and L. Dinner is just gonna have to be played by ear. And yes, evenings are the worst, usually just have "planovers" at home or cheese and saltines before bed but we shall see how it all works. Unfortunatly, stress and change and heat do effect my #s so I will be "working" at not over doing it in any direction.

thank again.

mkycrzy1971
05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
I really liked the Pineapple Float I just had from Aloha Isle in Adventureland.

Me too! I had never had one during my past trips...I found it very refreshing on a hot day.

nikky luvs mickey
05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Need some ideas on my last days snack credits for the plane ride home. we are doing mk any thought on what would travel well for the plane ride to eat as a snack later that we can get at mk?:banana:

Katiebell
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
katiebell

Thank you so much for offering those helpful suggetions. I do think 1 CS and 1 snack will be just about right for DH and I to split for B and L. Dinner is just gonna have to be played by ear. And yes, evenings are the worst, usually just have "planovers" at home or cheese and saltines before bed but we shall see how it all works. Unfortunatly, stress and change and heat do effect my #s so I will be "working" at not over doing it in any direction.

thank again.

No problem! At the Poly, you'll have a refrigerator, won't you? You might consider ordering from Garden Grocer, if you will be there for long enough to make it worth your while. My sister and her family were there just a few days after us, so we split an order. It costs about $12 for delivery, I think, and had a $50 minimum, but we each ordered a case of water, a couple of 12 packs of soda, and she ordered cheddar cheese and coffee creamer. We even got a couple of cheap styrofoam coolers, but if you have a fridge, you wouldn't have to worry about that. If you look at their website, they might have a lot of appropriate snack type items, and it's a lot cheaper if you drink a lot of water. I can't drink local water anywhere I go or I get traveler's tummy :crazy2: :scared: so I only drink bottled water on vacation. It really adds up if you are paying $2 a pop!

Need some ideas on my last days snack credits for the plane ride home. we are doing mk any thought on what would travel well for the plane ride to eat as a snack later that we can get at mk?:banana:

We stopped at the candy store on Main Street on our way out and got a lot of great stuff, including this incredible fudge in all sorts of wonderful flavors :cloud9: There were quite a lot of choices there, and the CM was very helpful -- I got the impression she often had people asking how to spend their snack credits there on their way out of the park on their last day...

nikky luvs mickey
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks. i forgot about the candy store.

annaaidan99
06-02-2007, 10:15 PM
We had quite a few snack credits left over in our Feb 2006 trip, due to the fact that the plan was a bit more limited, and it was freezing. The drink we got with our CS lasted us the whole day. I didn't want cold drinks or bottled water or anything of that nature. In September that year- well, we used all of them. I mostly bought coffee at the espresso stands with mine- DH bought a lot of cold drinks, DS had a lot of ice cream. I think there are so many items you can get with the snack credits now that it is much harder to not use them.

ReneeA
06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Our first trip using the DDP, we had SC's left over. The second one, I made an effort to stop and get my kids (and the grownups!) anything they yelled for. It didn't matter if we were on our way for a TS ADR...if we wanted one, we got it.

I found I could use mine on specialty coffees at CSR in the mornings, and we split the huge danishes some days.

We also ordered 2 cases of water and a 12 pack of beer from gardengrocer (wonderful, wonderful service) so we didn't use our sc's on water.

I spent the whole trip stuffed. It really is a huge quantity of food.