PDA

View Full Version : My recent opinions on the Dining Plan....

marcyinPA
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Just got back from a week at Pop this past Saturday. We had used the dining plan last trip, in 2005...we had free dining. We thought it was great, so we purchased it for this trip.

I have to honestly say that I didn't like it so much this time around. The food was actually great, and the service was great everywhere we ate, but we were SO full all of the time, almost to the uncomfortable level. I've also decided that I really don't like doing a sit down meal every day. I'd like to mix it up a bit, and eat more of the "better" counter service. We felt really tied down to our ADR's this trip, which didn't really bother us last trip. But this time, for some reason, making it on time for ADR's was a hassle. We've decided next trip to make an ADR for dinner maybe every other night, instead of every night.

There were some weird things we encountered on the dining plan. We used CS credits at the Main Street Bakery on our last morning, for breakfast. My DS12 and I shared the meal, in which you HAD to choose the breakfast sandwich, and you got a pastry and a beverage. My Mom wanted to use a CS credit too, but didn't want a breakfast sandwich AND french toast loaf (too much food for her) and asked to just get a banana instead of the breakfast sandwich. They told her no. The sandwich was almost $6.00...but she couldn't sub a banana?? :confused3 She ended up using the credit, but throwing out the sandwich. What a waste. She could have used snack credits, but since it was our last day, she needed to use up the CS credits.

We also had a strange experience at the Pop food court. The CS credits are not separated between adult and child credits. Those are still pooled. We split alot of meals between my DS12, DS8, DH and I. We usually got 3 meals for the 4 of us. One morning, the CM at the cash register at Pop said that we had 7 children's meal credits that we HAD to use. Ok...well, we had actually purchased 4 children's meals already during our stay....so where is he getting that info from? I almost felt like he was scolding me. I headed to to Guest Services to get the scoop from them. They gave me a print out of all of our credits, where we'd used them, and how many are left. The CM at guest services told me that the adult/child credits ARE NOT pooled, but we couldn't purchase more than 3 adult meals at one time because we have 3 adults on our card. We did know that, and did not break the rules. My DS8 got kids meals for lunch, and we split our adult meals for breakfast.

As for snacks, we found that not everything was marked with the DP symbol. I spotted fruit at one of the carts in Epcot. The fruit was not even listed on the menu. I had to stand in line, and then ask if it was included on the DP as a snack. Kind of a waste of time. We noticed this at a few other places too.

I kind of found the DP to be confusing, confining, and just a pain in the rear. I did like being able to eat at some of the nicer places like Le Cellier. We've decided that we can still do that, but save some money by not eating appetizers and desserts (which we pretty much picked at anyway).

Just my take on it....

Marcy

bsmcneil
05-25-2007, 08:35 PM
there's never a reason to waste food. you could've: treated someone, paid OOP, let credits go to waste, save it for later or any number of things. i'm so sick of the wastefulness of this world.

marcyinPA
05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
there's never a reason to waste food. you could've: treated someone, paid OOP, let credits go to waste, save it for later or any number of things. i'm so sick of the wastefulness of this world.

Or they could have let her get the darn banana....

I do agree with you on the waste issue, fwiw. We ate at both Ohana and Whispering Canyon this trip, and at both restaurants, our servers brought us seconds on food that we didn't even ask for. They plopped it right down and took off, without giving us time to even say "um, no thank you". You know where that untouched food was going.

illiniowl
05-26-2007, 03:27 PM

a bit harsh IMO. DDP rules don't allow "treating someone," for starters. i won't argue that there isn't wastefulness in the world, but we're all guilty of it.

Tink10
05-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't quite understand why people get so upset about food being thrown away....:confused3

It happens every hour of every day & at the end of the night, in just about all restaurants, food goes into the garbage.....It's not possible to send that food to those who really need it (although it would be great if we could) It's not going to stop so what's the point of getting upset about it?

To the OP, I'm glad to hear that both the food & service were great & I hope your trip was as well! :)

rentayenta
05-26-2007, 03:51 PM

I do agree with you on the waste issue, fwiw. We ate at both Ohana and Whispering Canyon this trip, and at both restaurants, our servers brought us seconds on food that we didn't even ask for. They plopped it right down and took off, without giving us time to even say "um, no thank you". You know where that untouched food was going.

I agree too :thumbsup2 It drives me mad to waste food and even with free DDP my kids will share. We will most likely end up with leftover credits, part of the reason we are doing 2 two TS, but oh well. Just because most people waste food doesn't mean it's right or right for my family. There are lots of things that a lot of people do but that doesn't make said things right. :upsidedow

kaytieeldr
05-26-2007, 07:09 PM
As for snacks, we found that not everything was marked with the DP symbol. I spotted fruit at one of the carts in Epcot. The fruit was not even listed on the menu. I had to stand in line, and then ask if it was included on the DP as a snack. Kind of a waste of time. We noticed this at a few other places too. Most likely, the fruit on the cart wasn't marked with a snack symbol because, well, individual pieces of fruit have been a Snack since the onset of the Disney Dining Plan.

tasha99
05-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm glad I'm going when dining is free. Next year DS will be 10. If they have free dining, I think we'll eat almost all signature restaurants for table service, and make the rest up with food in the room and CS paid out of pocket. I agree that a sit down ADR every day is confining.

bsmcneil
05-26-2007, 09:00 PM

I totally agree. I both understand and hate things like this (like if you're wanting a combo and you want to substitute something cheaper/healthier). Sometimes we let rules get in the way of common sense

bsmcneil
05-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't quite understand why people get so upset about food being thrown away....:confused3

It happens every hour of every day & at the end of the night, in just about all restaurants, food goes into the garbage.....It's not possible to send that food to those who really need it (although it would be great if we could) It's not going to stop so what's the point of getting upset about it?

To the OP, I'm glad to hear that both the food & service were great & I hope your trip was as well! :)

The fact that it happens as often as you said should make you (and it does make me) sick. What's possible is using less, eating less and being less wasteful. Part of the problem the world faces (and by that I mean the problem that the Industrialized world gives to the whole world) is wastefulness of resources. When America and Western society collapses, which will happen (just like Rome, Greece, etc etc etc) it will be because we cannot manage our resources and we think that we can do anything, simply because we can.

Oh, free food that I don't need (an example I saw this week while feeding the homeless), sure I'll take it, just because.

Drive 30 miles out of the way to buy clothes when there's a store 15 miles away (or, God forbid, making our own or something), sure because we can.

It's just sad that people can be so flip about the limited amount of resources we have.

KMLOVESWDW
05-26-2007, 09:30 PM
popcorn::

marcyinPA
05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Most likely, the fruit on the cart wasn't marked with a snack symbol because, well, individual pieces of fruit have been a Snack since the onset of the Disney Dining Plan.

actually, it wasn't individual pieces of fruit. It was fruit cups, fruit salads, watermelon chunks, etc. I'm not new to the Dining Plan, but some people are and don't do their research like those on the Dis do. I think everything should be clearly marked, so there are no questions (or at least less questions!)

Colleen27
05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I totally agree. I both understand and hate things like this (like if you're wanting a combo and you want to substitute something cheaper/healthier). Sometimes we let rules get in the way of common sense

I think that's one of the down sides of the technological age we live in. Common sense is overruled by a computerized check out, inventory tracking and dining plan credit system that cannot account for the variations of human preference. Something as simple as substituting a banana for a sandwich becomes ridiculously complicated when there is no appropriate entry for it in the computer system and no way for the computer to accomidate a judgement call.

It is the same thing that some people have been reporting regarding using adult credits for kids' meals. Even though it should be obvious that it is to Disney's advantage for those credits to be used on the less expensive kids' meals and that it is likely to to be a common request when "adult" starts at 10 years old, it seems that in the process of seperating adult and child credits, the computerized interface lacks a mechanism for handling that situation.

marcyinPA
05-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I think that's one of the down sides of the technological age we live in. Common sense is overruled by a computerized check out, inventory tracking and dining plan credit system that cannot account for the variations of human preference. Something as simple as substituting a banana for a sandwich becomes ridiculously complicated when there is no appropriate entry for it in the computer system and no way for the computer to accomidate a judgement call.

It is the same thing that some people have been reporting regarding using adult credits for kids' meals. Even though it should be obvious that it is to Disney's advantage for those credits to be used on the less expensive kids' meals and that it is likely to to be a common request when "adult" starts at 10 years old, it seems that in the process of seperating adult and child credits, the computerized interface lacks a mechanism for handling that situation.

What makes that particular situation even more maddening is that last trip (2005-free dining), we ate at the Main Street Bakery and were able to get ANY two items and a drink for a CS credit. You could pick 2 pastries, or a pastry and a fruit, or a pastry and the yogurt parfait....it was totally up to you. If it was so easy back then, why so difficult now??

bsmcneil
05-26-2007, 10:06 PM

What's weird to me (about this and the OP story - NOT that I'm saying OP is lying, cuz I'm sure he/she's not) but in my experience, this is the sort of thing CMs and WDW is good at - just doing the common sense thing without dealing with the BS. For example, how often we've heard stories of people having a shirt ruined or something and a CM helping to replace it. While it may not happen all the time, it should be in the purview of CMs to do this sort of thing (especially when it obviously is an advantage for disney). It's one thing to give away a tshirt in hopes that good customer service will bring more money. It's another to give away a banana (that you may 1 dollar profit on) than a french loaf (which you make 50 cents profit on) or whatever the figures are (adult/kids cs for instance).

rentayenta
05-26-2007, 10:10 PM
popcorn::

Did you buy that popcorn:: with a snack credit? :rotfl2: ;)

bicker
05-27-2007, 05:44 AM

It happens every hour of every day & at the end of the night, in just about all restaurants, food goes into the garbage.....It's not possible to send that food to those who really need it (although it would be great if we could) It's not going to stop so what's the point of getting upset about it?Not only that, but we have lots and lots of food. Food is a renewal resource. There is no "wasting" going on, as if it was about to "run out."

Worry about wasting fuel. We could all take hybrid cars down to WDW instead of flying in jets, and save a lot of fuel, which is not renewable. Or even while flying, many of us could stand to lose a lot of weight, and bring half as much luggage, and that will save a lot of fuel, which again is not renewable. We can all move closer to work instead of wasting so much fuel commuting so far. Fuel is definitely something to worry about wasting.

bicker
05-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Part of the problem the world faces (and by that I mean the problem that the Industrialized world gives to the whole world) is wastefulness of resources. When America and Western society collapses, which will happen (just like Rome, Greece, etc etc etc) it will be because we cannot manage our resources and we think that we can do anything, simply because we can. However, food is the wrong target. Yes, fuel, and trees, and things like that -- scarce resources that need to be protected, should be protected. Food is not. If anything, we need to find new ways to use MORE food (without eating it) or we're basically wasting the American farmer.

NMW
05-27-2007, 09:13 AM

Well, I agree that they could have just paid OOP for a banana. I probably would have done that (or just use a snack credit), but she did say it was the last day of the trip. So, maybe, there wouldn't be another chance to use the CS credit that they paid for. Also, the DDP is non-transferrable, so it's not like she could have just given 1 CS credit to someone outside their party. People waste food everyday. It's not like there is anyway for me to get the food I throw out after my family eats dinner to someone who really needs it. I don't think wasting food and wasting non-renewable resources are the same thing. Also, to suggest that western civilization will crumble because someone throws out a breakfast sandwich, is a leap. :)

Tink10
05-27-2007, 12:15 PM
The fact that it happens as often as you said should make you (and it does make me) sick. What's possible is using less, eating less and being less wasteful. Part of the problem the world faces (and by that I mean the problem that the Industrialized world gives to the whole world) is wastefulness of resources. When America and Western society collapses, which will happen (just like Rome, Greece, etc etc etc) it will be because we cannot manage our resources and we think that we can do anything, simply because we can.

Oh, free food that I don't need (an example I saw this week while feeding the homeless), sure I'll take it, just because.

Drive 30 miles out of the way to buy clothes when there's a store 15 miles away (or, God forbid, making our own or something), sure because we can.

It's just sad that people can be so flip about the limited amount of resources we have.

I agree with Bicker that food is a renewable resourse and there aren't any negative effects from anyone throwing away something that they either don't like or can't finish. So no, it doesn't make me sick. What are the alternatives? I really do prefer that restaurants throw away perishables at the end of the night.....Heck, It's a safety issue and I know that I would want to eat old food....

The only other option to prevent food waste at Disney would be for Disney to reduce portions even further......Would that really make anyone happy?

GOOFY4DONALD
05-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but i do have a question along the same lines. If I were to have a few left over counter meals on the day we are leaving is there any place that offers cold sandwiches or such could take along with us? I think the only places we might be on our departing day would be MK, DTD and our resort FW.
Thanks

marcyinPA
05-27-2007, 12:28 PM
What's weird to me (about this and the OP story - NOT that I'm saying OP is lying, cuz I'm sure he/she's not) but in my experience, this is the sort of thing CMs and WDW is good at - just doing the common sense thing without dealing with the BS. For example, how often we've heard stories of people having a shirt ruined or something and a CM helping to replace it. While it may not happen all the time, it should be in the purview of CMs to do this sort of thing (especially when it obviously is an advantage for disney). It's one thing to give away a tshirt in hopes that good customer service will bring more money. It's another to give away a banana (that you may 1 dollar profit on) than a french loaf (which you make 50 cents profit on) or whatever the figures are (adult/kids cs for instance).

Honestly, the Main Street Bakery was the only place we had an issue with inflexibility. We were able to sub things at other restaurants without a problem. Le Cellier was the most accommodating. They let my DS8 switch out his appetizer for fruit salad, and my mom got mashed potatoes instead of risotto on the mushroom filet. Our server said "You can have whatever you want....this is Disney." She was really very nice.

The whole "banana issue" didn't ruin our trip. It just didn't make sense to us! FWIW, my mom didn't throw out the sandwich untouched. She did eat a little of it. But it was alot of food, and she really didn't want it. She wanted to use the CS credit but wanted the French Toast Loaf and something else (even the yogurt parfait would have fit the bill for her!). Had it not been our last day, I'm sure she would have just used a snack credit. Oh well, coulda shoulda....next time, no worries because we're just going to pay for our meals OOP and get exactly what we want and not get what we don't want!;)

Katiebell
05-27-2007, 12:31 PM

I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational. Also, some of us have lived through times when there wasn't enough food -- or not enough money for food. I remember one time years ago making lentil soup for my family because we had a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes, and that's it. We didn't have any other food in the house, and no money to buy more. It was a long time ago, and I'm very grateful that things aren't like that anymore. So, wasting food is bound to bother some of us more than others. And yes, food is thrown away every single day, tons and tons of food. We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the world, but it would be nice if it wasn't against the rules to give our desserts or extra credits to the family at the next table that scrimped and saved for years to afford their trip and is on a really tight food budget, but unfortunately, credits can't be transferred.

However, food is the wrong target. Yes, fuel, and trees, and things like that -- scarce resources that need to be protected, should be protected. Food is not. If anything, we need to find new ways to use MORE food (without eating it) or we're basically wasting the American farmer.

We have to find new ways to use more agricultural products in general -- like perfecting efficient ways to manufacture ethanol from corn. And look at all the useful products that can be made from hemp! :hippie: :rotfl2:

marcyinPA
05-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but i do have a question along the same lines. If I were to have a few left over counter meals on the day we are leaving is there any place that offers cold sandwiches or such could take along with us? I think the only places we might be on our departing day would be MK, DTD and our resort FW.
Thanks

Most of the food courts have grab and go items. You can also get sandwiches to go at Earl of Sandwich. We did the grab and go thing last trip when we stayed at ASMo. We used 2 CS credits and got some sandwiches to take with us to the airport. The only thing you won't be able to take with you through security is beverages. You can buy those at the airport after you get through security.

Marcy

marcyinPA
05-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational. Also, some of us have lived through times when there wasn't enough food -- or not enough money for food. I remember one time years ago making lentil soup for my family because we had a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes, and that's it. We didn't have any other food in the house, and no money to buy more. It was a long time ago, and I'm very grateful that things aren't like that anymore. So, wasting food is bound to bother some of us more than others. And yes, food is thrown away every single day, tons and tons of food. We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the world, but it would be nice if it wasn't against the rules to give our desserts or extra credits to the family at the next table that scrimped and saved for years to afford their trip and is on a really tight food budget, but unfortunately, credits can't be transferred.

We have to find new ways to use more agricultural products in general -- like perfecting efficient ways to manufacture ethanol from corn. And look at all the useful products that can be made from hemp! :hippie: :rotfl2:

Hi Katiebell, my fellow Mayer friend!!!!:snooty:

Tink10
05-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks

We also go to the Beach Club Marketplace & Boardwalk bakery to use our leftover credits.....It's usually a mad rush to buy up what we can with the credits & has become a tradition......It's a fun way to end a trip :banana:

lillygator
05-27-2007, 12:57 PM
this is very harsh....if I buy food and throw it away, that is my choice.....judge much?:confused3

bsmcneil
05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
this is very harsh....if I buy food and throw it away, that is my choice.....judge much?:confused3

It is your choice, I just think it's a bad one and somewhat immoral to be wasteful. Didn't ask you to subscribe to my morals, but they're there.

lillygator
05-27-2007, 01:26 PM
It is your choice, I just think it's a bad one and somewhat immoral to be wasteful. Didn't ask you to subscribe to my morals, but they're there.

but it's kind of pushing them on everyone else isn't it?

bicker
05-27-2007, 01:56 PM
I've seen this conversation on a few threads before. To some degree, it's cultural and generational.Absolutely. I know, for instance, my mother very strongly holds to many out-dated perspectives, because she lived through the depression.

We can't mail it to starving children on the other side of the worldThis is a key point: The problem with hunger, in this country and in the world, in general, is not having enough food -- it is having enough money to transport the food where it needs to get to.

We have to find new ways to use more agricultural products in general -- like perfecting efficient ways to manufacture ethanol from corn. And look at all the useful products that can be made from hemp! :hippie: :rotfl2:We really do need to work harder to switch our consumption from scarce resources to renewable ones. :thumbsup2

bicker
05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
It is your choice, I just think it's a bad one and somewhat immoral to be wasteful. Didn't ask you to subscribe to my morals, but they're there.I think many of us agree that it is immortal to be wasteful. What we're disputing is the assertion that an abundance of food is wasteful, given that it is not scarce and is a renewable resource. It think a better direction to point concerns about waste would be the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway! :)

lillygator
05-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I think many of us agree that it is immortal to be wasteful. What we're disputing is the assertion that an abundance of food is wasteful, given that it is not scarce and is a renewable resource. It think a better direction to point concerns about waste would be the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway! :)

agreed....I don't set out to be purposefully wasteful, but take Friday night at our local AMC theatre for POTC 3....I ordered a large drink for DH and I two smalls for the girls and two small popcorns ----- some got thrown out, for someone to assume I am immoral because I did not box up two cups of popcorn for the guys down by Marina Jack's is kind of assinine.

bsmcneil
05-27-2007, 02:33 PM
but it's kind of pushing them on everyone else isn't it?

that doesn't make any sense at all. this whole message board is about finding opinions and stating opinions. it's the purpose. my stating my opinion is no different than someone saying space mountain sucks or that expedition everest is awesome. i may feel that i have deeper feelings about my opinion and that the issue to which i am speaking is of greater importance, but it's an opinion sent via an opinion board.

bsmcneil
05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
agreed....I don't set out to be purposefully wasteful, but take Friday night at our local AMC theatre for POTC 3....I ordered a large drink for DH and I two smalls for the girls and two small popcorns ----- some got thrown out, for someone to assume I am immoral because I did not box up two cups of popcorn for the guys down by Marina Jack's is kind of assinine.

no one said anyone (including you) was immoral. i said that an act (in this case wasting food) was immoral in my view of morality.

Tink10
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Energy waste aside (this is a dining board).......

This whole debate is a little crazy.........

If a person purposely buys food, just to throw it away, I wouldn't call them immoral.....Just stupid. ;)

We all know that the DDP allows guests quite a bit of food. Those who think it's too much food & don't want to waste any of it, probably shouldn't get the dining plan.

And one more note to the OP.....They really should've allowed the banana....

Katiebell
05-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Katiebell, my fellow Mayer friend!!!!:snooty:

Hullo Marcy-Mayer! :hug: I want to go back -- DH got sick and we missed too much :sad1: Next trip is DL, probably February 2008...

Absolutely. I know, for instance, my mother very strongly holds to many out-dated perspectives, because she lived through the depression.

Yes, my mom was a Depression baby too -- ever heard "make it do, do without, use it up, wear it out"? That was a mantra chanted at home over and over while I was growing up. But I lived through lean years, too; seems like ages ago, but it was a lot more recently than the Depression :laughing: I can feed four adults with a chicken leg, a chicken wing, half a bag of frozen vegetables, and a couple of cups of Bisquick. Or a bag of lentils and a can of stewed tomatoes. And I know about 50 different recipes to use USDA surplus cheese, peanut butter, and powdered milk. You do what you've gotta do. So yes, it may be an "outdated" notion, but both excess and unnecessary waste bother me a lot -- however, I realize it's a personal belief.

KMLOVESWDW
05-27-2007, 07:00 PM
popcorn:: popcorn:: :coffee: :coffee: :mickeybar :mickeybar :hug: Can't we all just get along-let's not be so rough on each other-this is Disney folks-the happiest place on earth!!!:)

bsmcneil
05-27-2007, 07:31 PM
let me clarify - DO NOT SHARE FOOD. IT'S BAD. DO NOT GIVE FOOD AWAY THAT YOU BUY ON THE DDP (or anywhere else, for that matter, it's likely against health code violations).

/don't break disney rules. :rolleyes:

illiniowl
05-27-2007, 07:35 PM
that doesn't make any sense at all. this whole message board is about finding opinions and stating opinions. it's the purpose. my stating my opinion is no different than someone saying space mountain sucks or that expedition everest is awesome. i may feel that i have deeper feelings about my opinion and that the issue to which i am speaking is of greater importance, but it's an opinion sent via an opinion board.

You could've stated your opinion without calling out an individual poster for something of which everyone - I'm sure even you - is guilty to one degree or another.

Pumbaa_
05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
I think this has gotten so far from the original intent of this post.

To the OP, thank you for sharing your recent experience. I know what you mean about the chocolate though:rotfl2:

Every time I start wavering and think I want to add the DDP (we are DVC'ers), hubby just gives me the look :lmao:

Because this thread has gotten to the point of world hunger and hemp products, I am going to close the thread.