PDA

View Full Version : Home made household cleaners?

Chicago526
05-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Once I run out of my current batch of traditional cleaners, I want to switch to home made cleaners that don't use chemicals. I'm going to clean with things like vinager and baking soda. One reason is for cost, the other is because I think we are exposed to way too many chemicals, and I don't think that's healthy, for people and the enviroment as a whole.

Anyway, I know vinager and baking soda are great for counters and tables and such, but what should I use for floors? I have vinyl in the kitchen and baths, and hardwood in the rest of the house. Oh, and once the bath remodle is done, we'll have ceramic tile.

tinker&belle
05-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I wanted to bump this up, I'm curious about this as well. I like the Method products, but they are kind of high.

ceecee
05-25-2007, 07:23 PM
I tried that for a while and didn't have much luck. I really don't like the smell of vinegar either. I know someone said to use coke as a toilet cleaner, but it didn't work well either.

Goofyzgurl
05-25-2007, 07:25 PM
I haven't made my own cleaner, but I do use a "green" cleaner. I just began using a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE it. No fumes and it's natural.

Mrs.Reese
05-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Another "green" cleaner user here. I use it for everything. Smells great and no harsh chemicals.

Lisa AF
05-25-2007, 09:11 PM
THere is a new book called Clean Green or something. Has lots of info on this topic. I'll do a little searching and post the title if i find it.

Lisa AF
05-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Found it!
Green This! Volume 1: Greening Your Cleaning by Deirdre Imus

Adi12982
05-25-2007, 09:29 PM
My whole life my grandmother has mopped her floors (tile) with warm water and some vinegar (not enough that the house smells like vinegar - BUT maybe my sense of smell is not so strong?). The floors are always clean and shiny :)

VanessasMom
05-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I LOVE making my own cleaners. The only one I don't do is the diswasher detergent. I tried that one, but it didn't work for us.

For powdered laundry detergent, I use:
1/3 bar Fels Naptha, grated
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/4 cup oxyclean

This works awesome!

Here's some links:
http://www.organizedhome.com/content-8.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html