PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Has Done it Again! July Travellers-Take Note!!!

BethR
05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
I just got a $100 credit for Southwest for changing my $59 flight to a $34 flight (for 4 of us.)

I was alerted about this by an email this morning advertising a Summer Sale for travel in July. So be sure to check your flights and rates if you are traveling then.

taylorsmommy05
05-25-2007, 07:01 AM
will they really credit you if you have already purchased tickets?

BethR
05-25-2007, 07:21 AM
will they really credit you if you have already purchased tickets?

Yes they will. People have also reported getting credit on their credit card, so if the rate is available for a flight you want, I would CALL Southwest first and ask for a credit card credit first. Then if they say that they can't do that for you, then you just take the Southwest Credit. :)

Good Luck! :shamrock:

laurabelle
05-25-2007, 07:30 AM
If nothing in your flight plans changes but the price, you can call SW customer service, not the 800 number, the other one, and request a refund to your credit card. If you change dates or times to get the sale price, you'll receive Ticketless Travel Funds good for one year from the date of your original purchase to use on a future flight. Anyone can use these credits, they can be given away or sold. I just bought some credits from my sister since she can't use them. BTW- Besides being generous with changes & credits (therefore hooking alot of us!) they have stellar customer service! I've had a couple of funky situations in the past and they worked magic for me!pixiedust: I love SW!:love:

dis2cruise
05-25-2007, 07:32 AM
ha!!! it looks like we posted at the same time lol !!! just don't call their 1-800 number just look online (sw)
and find their customer relations number i believe it
is a 214 area code and call that, that is the number that most of us have called and had great success as long as you didn't change date/time of
your flight you should be able to get your cc credited back.
if not, just like beth said you recieve a credit good up to one year.

BethR
05-25-2007, 07:35 AM
If nothing in your flight plans changes but the price, you can call SW customer service, not the 800 number, the other one, and request a refund to your credit card.

Laura, I jumped on this rate as soon as I saw it this morning. No changed to my itinerary. Do you think that there is any chance that I can have my credit card credited? I hate to push things, but of course the CC credit would be appreciated. ::yes::

MiaSRN62
05-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I just got the email this morning too. It'll only save me $20 overall for our 4 tickets, but, hey......it's something. I'm just waiting for 8 am to call.

dis2cruise
05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi not laura but maybe i could help:goodvibes
yes call sw and tell them the price dropped
give them your confirmation number and you
should be credited. good luck:cool1:

HERE IS SW'S PHONE NUMBER AND TIMES TO CALL:

Customer Relations 214-792-4223 Mon - Fri, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm CT

laurabelle
05-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Laura, I jumped on this rate as soon as I saw it this morning. No changed to my itinerary. Do you think that there is any chance that I can have my credit card credited? I hate to push things, but of course the CC credit would be appreciated. ::yes::

I don't see why not! Don't be afraid to ask...here's some SW pixie dust!pixiedust:

dis2cruise
05-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I am just hoping that sw goes a little cheaper:rolleyes1 ....

we have a $59 and a $99 flight late aug/early sept
this would be really great lower fares/free dining what
a great combination!!

MiaSRN62
05-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I am just hoping that sw goes a little cheaper ....

we have a $59 and a $99 flight late aug/early sept

I hear ya !
We need flights for the end of Sept into the first week of Oct and right now SW is over $200/pp. I can fly Airtran for less as it stands now (which is a first for me), but I'm holding out for SW. Hopefully it's not in vain.

BethR
05-25-2007, 07:56 AM
I am just hoping that sw goes a little cheaper:rolleyes1 ....

How can you NOT hope that with Southwest and what we read on these boards? I would be hoping too! Why do you think I checked out the email that I got this morning? Just in CASE my fares had dropped. :teeth:

patsal
05-25-2007, 07:56 AM

Absolutely you can--what I do is mail a snail mail letter with the request. The information to do this is on their website. I have done this four times and all four the credit shows up on my CC statement the next month.

BethR
05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Absolutely you can--what I do is mail a snail mail letter with the request. The information to do this is on their website. I have done this four times and all four the credit shows up on my CC statement the next month.

That is sooo cool! I am going to check this out for sure! You know us Budget-ears, always trying to make the cost of our trips just this much cheaper.

LindyLouWho
05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
We in the Dallas area have always been proud of our homegrown airline, Southwest, but until this past yr, due to the "Wright Amendment" couldn't fly to anywhere except TX, Okla, Ark or N.Orleans. Well little SW took on American Airlines & had that bogus law changed, now I can really go places... like Orlando, Nashville, Baltimore, Pittsburg, LA, Vegas Baby & many more!
It's so much easier to leave from Love Field on SW, than drive to DFW Int'l & fly out from there. Saves me appx 2hr travel nonsense B4 I even get on the plane!! It's also caused AA to be more competitve $ to certain markets.
Yea Southwest, good folks, great peanuts!

BethR
05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Yea Southwest, good folks, great peanuts!

I am definitely having a love affair with Southwest right now. :love: IMO, they really are in the same league as Disney when it comes to Customer Service - at least for many of us. I know that if you are business travelers and are used to having assigned seats, etc., SW may not be for you. But for most of us leisure travelers, I don't think that SW can be beat. :thumbsup2

LindyLouWho
05-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Even w/out assigned seats, SW does what they can to accomadate any special needs. My sister went w/group of Special Ed students to N.Mexico, 18 total in group, not only did they allow her to decide best area of plane to sit in, over 10 employee's helped get them settled on plane at boarding, same thing when they chg'd plane in El Paso (due to stupid rule, no thru flight to NM) & they were waiting to help them off in NM. Coming back, same routine. Some of these folks were on break's when they saw help was req'd, gladly came running to offer assistance. I think the way SW treats their employee's is reflected in the way they treat SW customers in return. I know not everyone always has a pleasant experience with any airline, but I can tell you, if you have a complaint, the higher ups take it very seriously & do try to respond in a postitive manner.
Do you think AA would notify people on already purchased tickets that they are eligible to retain tickets @ lower $?

MiaSRN62
05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I just spoke with two representatives from SW and neither one would credit my cc. I'm only talking $20-$25 here. I told them several people on an online message board that I speak with said they've done this and they BOTH told me, well, "they must have had some medical reason or some special circumstance". I told them, not that I was aware of. Both refused to credit my cc. They told me to go online, make the airfare change and get it credited into my travel fund. I was not pleased with the customer service because they were both pretty matter-of-fact and did not seem very interested in helping me out.

LindyLouWho
05-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Go online to SW site, get their headqts ph# in Dallas, call there & explain the situation, also tell them about the negative experience you just had w/2 of their reps (if you got names of reps tell them) SW doesn't take any bad publicity lightly, they know word of mouth by unhappy cust. is harmful.

edit info:
I used local phone book, here is number for
SOUTHWEST EXECUTIVE OFFICE: 214.792.4000

MiaSRN62
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Lindy....I didn't get their names. One woman and one man.
The woman kept saying "well I can't credit you anything if you don't rebook at the lower fare" ??? So maybe I'm wrong ? I thought I could just give my Confirmation number and they could check that the fares are lower on one leg of the trip ? Maybe I'm the one confused ? Neither seemed willing to please me.
Thanks for the head's up about the Dallas number.

dameodie
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Here's hoping they do the same for August! If I can get $39 fares (well, $78 round trip) I might just be able to convince myself that we can fly... :goodvibes

patsal
05-25-2007, 09:26 AM
I just spoke with two representatives from SW and neither one would credit my cc. I'm only talking $20-$25 here. I told them several people on an online message board that I speak with said they've done this and they BOTH told me, well, "they must have had some medical reason or some special circumstance". I told them, not that I was aware of. Both refused to credit my cc. They told me to go online, make the airfare change and get it credited into my travel fund. I was not pleased with the customer service because they were both pretty matter-of-fact and did not seem very interested in helping me out.

Make the changes on line, then send the snail mail--I've never been denied the credit.

LindyLouWho
Maria, I edit'd my orig post to incl Executive ph# for SW. No problem, I have local ph book, this Airline is special to folks in Dallas area due to their involvement in local charities, etc

Just keep trying till you get the right person who can help, I can promise even if it was a $200.00 difference on ticket$, they'll try to straighten it out.
Negative publicity is bad, but on a Disney Message Board it's suicidal!1

pjlla
FWIW..... regarding the SWA customer service......

I booked a DING fare to Tampa for DD and I (booked in late March for a May weekend). Within 30 minutes of booking it I realized that it was Mother's Day weekend and DS was upset that I was going to be away. I checked and the same flights (same $$) were available the following weekend. I called SWA immediately and they credited me the full price of the originally booked flight and I was able to rebook for the following weekend.... no problems, no questions asked. I was THRILLED.... especially considering DING fares are "supposed" to be non-refundable. They certainly won points with me that day! I will say, I love using SWA....................P

BTW, I took a harbor cruise while I was in the Tampa area and there was a lady with some friends on the cruise.... couldn't figure out why she looked so familiar until the next day.... She works for SWA and is frequently on their "Airline" show!! Wish I had realized it the day before!..............P

Bowen9475
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
This has been my experience. In order to get the difference in fare credited to your credit card you can't make any changes to the itinerary - dates, times, airports - only the price can have gone down. Make the change on the website. There is a place under travel tools to make changes to your itinerary. Enter your confirmation number, check the flight(s) you want to change and choose the lower fare. Follow all the way through and one of the last screens will show what you have in ticketless travel funds. After you have made the changes call the 214-792-4223 number. There is an option for their refund department. When you speak to someone in refunds explain that you had a flight booked and now the fare has gone down. They will take you confirmation number, check to make sure you did not make any changes and they should then tell you the credit will be applied to your card within so many business days. I have done this several times, most recently last week. Good luck to all of you fare watchers and changers!

DMRick
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
If I am understanding this, they are correct. First you have to go online and make the change..they won't make the change on line for a web fare. Once you get the credit in your account, and nothing has changed but the price, then you would call and ask to have that credited. Sometimes they make you wait until after your trip, so they aren't giving you money back, and then you may cancel the flight.

I also found that when I recently called because I would not be using my funds until past a year, they easily gave me an extra 6 months.

I love Southwest!

Thanks Lindy....I didn't get their names. One woman and one man.
The woman kept saying "well I can't credit you anything if you don't rebook at the lower fare" ??? So maybe I'm wrong ? I thought I could just give my Confirmation number and they could check that the fares are lower on one leg of the trip ? Maybe I'm the one confused ? Neither seemed willing to please me.
Thanks for the head's up about the Dallas number.

MiaSRN62
05-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone !

mylightshines
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm so excited. We just got $44 each way to Orlando, for a total of $116 round trip. I love Southwest this morning!!! We have to change our dates a little bit because the flights were all booked, but this sure beats driving 10 hours. I figured it would cost us at least $200 to drive. So for $148 more dollars we are flying!! Yeah!!:banana:

emerson7
05-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the update. I saved $40 which they credited to my card after I made the change online and then called refunds. Excellent customer service! Thanks for the heads up. I got the ding fare last week and didn't think it would go lower. Silly me.

MrMarv
05-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I've scoured their website, and the only mention of that July travel promotion stated that YESTERDAY (May 24th) was the final day to get those insanely low airfares. I'm trying to get a great fare from LA to either Nashville or Birmingham in mid-July, but I haven't seen anything for less than $360.00 or thereabouts.

LindyLouWho--That 'Wright Amendment' was such a piece of crap; folks from Big D have had to pay nosebleed inducing airfares to fly anywhere in the country for year and years, and the rules have been SOMEWHAT relaxed, but that rule need to be abolished at once so that folks living in Dallas don't have to pay sky-high air fares as high if not higher than folks who live in other major hub cities such as Memphis, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Cincinnati & a few others.

If American is charging $500.00 R/T from Dallas to Washington DC (for example) there is NO reason why Southwest cannot be allowed to fly you for HALF of that or LESS, except for the existence of that +*&+%$+% 'Wright Amendment!!!!!'

Blondiex46
05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
ok I bought seats about 2 hours ago and now I want to cancel them and drive back with the Hertz deal will they give me the money back? Well I called the 800 # and they told me they would give me my money back within 24 hours of when I made the reservations which was 10:30 this morning. So now I have to figure out what to do.

LindyLouWho
05-25-2007, 02:30 PM
LindyLouWho--That 'Wright Amendment' was such a piece of crap; folks from Big D have had to pay nosebleed inducing airfares to fly anywhere in the country for year and years, and the rules have been SOMEWHAT relaxed, but that rule need to be abolished at once so that folks living in Dallas don't have to pay sky-high air fares as high if not higher than folks who live in other major hub cities such as Memphis, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Cincinnati & a few others.

If American is charging $500.00 R/T from Dallas to Washington DC (for example) there is NO reason why Southwest cannot be allowed to fly you for HALF of that or LESS, except for the existence of that +*&+%$+% 'Wright Amendment!!!!!'

:rotfl2:
Yep it was a rotten deal, originally intended to protect DFW Int'l airport when it was 1st built. But it became outdated yrs ago, finally after many go rounds SWA won & law was chg'd this past yr. But there are still only a few new direct flights (St Louis for example) if I want to fly to say Orlando from Dallas, I'd have to "Stop" somewhere, like N.Orleans B4 flight would continue on to FL. SWA is hoping to slowly add new direct points from Dallas.
Also, the day Wright Law was repealed, AA dropped their $ from DFW to St.Louis almost $200 to match SWA. See a little competition always benefits the paying customers, that's why I agree the Wright Law was crapola.

Jen66
05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys for the heads up! I thought my $555.20 was a great deal from PIT to MCO in July, but thanks to this post I got the same flights for $355.20!!! That is for all 4 of us non stop flight! I love both SWA and DIS boards!:banana:

BTW, I am going to keep my $200 as a travel credit. I know we can use it within 12 months and it gives us great incentive to take long weekend trips somewhere. :banana: :banana:

BethR
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I've scoured their website, and the only mention of that July travel promotion stated that YESTERDAY (May 24th) was the final day to get those insanely low airfares. I'm trying to get a great fare from LA to either Nashville or Birmingham in mid-July, but I haven't seen anything for less than $360.00 or thereabouts.

MrMarv. I clicked on the link in my email to the cities listed for the July Sale. Then I clicked on Los Angeles. Here is what I got:

Los Angeles, CA
$84 one-way, to/from Albuquerque, NM
$54 one-way, to/from Boise, ID
$79 one-way, to/from Denver, CO
$84 one-way, to/from El Paso, TX
$84 one-way, to/from Kansas City, MO
$29 one-way, to/from Las Vegas, NV
$29 one-way, to/from Oakland, CA
$34 one-way, to/from Omaha, NE
$34 one-way, to/from Phoenix, AZ
$39 one-way, to/from Reno/Tahoe, NV
$34 one-way, to/from Sacramento, CA
$64 one-way, to/from Salt Lake City, UT
$29 one-way, to/from San Jose, CA
$34 one-way, to/from Tucson, AZ

Doesn't look like they want to take you across the Mississippi. :(

Lisa_M
05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you so much posting this. I never check those internet specials. I have been rebooking a ding fare from Buffalo to Orlando. I'm on my 4th rebooking and now we have saved $44 from our first reservation. $194 total for 2 round trip tickets. Thank you thank you thank you! :banana:

Daxx
05-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this! Just booked us for July to WDW and got the $34 rate!!! Woooo hoooo!!!!! I was going to book our vaca. last week for later in July into August and am so thrilled I held off until tonight!

Bless you for letting us know about this!!! You've made us v., v., v. happy!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

taylorsmommy05
05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Anybody notice that they keep changing the flights that are the 34 dollar fares! Yesterday my flight wasn't included and today my OUTBOUND flight is included!! WHOOHOO!~! So we called... Here's to hoping they change again and my return flight gets the deal!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

taylorsmommy05
05-26-2007, 01:11 PM
OP.. thank YOU so much for posting this thread! Both of our flights have been changed and we saved over 400 dollars (there are 3 of us)!! Thank you!! Now I can start planning our next trip to disney... :banana: :banana: :banana:

katiedid0801
05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I am definitely having a love affair with Southwest right now. :love: IMO, they really are in the same league as Disney when it comes to Customer Service - at least for many of us. I know that if you are business travelers and are used to having assigned seats, etc., SW may not be for you. But for most of us leisure travelers, I don't think that SW can be beat. :thumbsup2

Just had to say that I am a business traveler who LOVES :love: SWA! They have the most direct flights, bigger planes, great fares, great customer service, and I always get a seat in the first 10 rows (my preference). I could care less about an assigned seat, more interested in getting where I'm going as quickly as possible! :thumbsup2

BethR
05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Just had to say that I am a business traveler who LOVES :love: SWA! They have the most direct flights, bigger planes, great fares, great customer service, and I always get a seat in the first 10 rows (my preference). I could care less about an assigned seat, more interested in getting where I'm going as quickly as possible! :thumbsup2

Good to hear! Soiuthwest is definitely on the path to being a favorite of ALL travelers. As long as they keep up their great Customer Service, their nice planes and seats, their terrific promotions, their fun atmosphere then they can count on me to talk them up. ::yes::

MrMarv
05-27-2007, 11:49 AM
$34.00 one way from Los Angeles to Omaha brings an ENTIRE new meaning to the word INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRUAlmn
05-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!! Our wedding is in WDW in July and throughout the day we called our guests that we knew were flying. We saved our guests a combined total of over $2700 so far!!!!!! The ones who had already booked were unable to get a credit card credit, but hey, Southwest credit for a future flight is just as good :) The only stipulation was that it had to be used within a year.

Thank you again SO MUCH!!!!!

Now if I could just get them to fly out of Charleston, SC we'd be in great shape!!! ;)

MrMarv
05-28-2007, 12:59 AM
BethR----Thanks for your help. I snagged a R/T from LA to Phoenix for $68.00 and another R/T from Phoenix to Nashville for $168.00.

Total with taxes, security fees and the like came to approximately $270.00, saving me some $130.00 vs. flying on any of the majors, such as American & Northwest.

On top of that, those two R/T trips will be my first two trips towards snagging a FREE R/T ticket to ANYWHERE they fly once you've purchased eight or ten R/T trips (not sure which) on their best-on-the-planet-and-ridiculously easy website!!!!!!!!!!!!

Book just EIGHT R/Ts on their VERY easy website and you get a free ticket to ANYWHERE they fly; that's easily the BEST frequent flyer program out there.

MrMarv
05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I should also add that you're entitled to a FREE R/T on Southwest to any of their destinations once you've purchased EIGHT R/Ts on their VERY easy website.

That's the best frequent flyer plan out there.

Free4Life11
05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Seems fishy to me....$34 fares for my flight time listed as "unavailable" yesterday morning when I booked, now suddenly its available?? Question, I paid used a Ticketless Travel credit. There was about $5 left on the credit I used. Can I get the $25 or so difference credited back to me?

bennythepug
05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Can't believe we just booked with southwest.:rotfl2: we were set to drive to wdw from NH (like we did last summer) this summer sale rate was to good to pass up. All 5 of us are flying for $525 total :love:
never thought we'd be able to afford to fly :cutie: